Elite: Dangerous

There's been plot happening for months now, dude. Years, if you consider the leadup. If you're referring to plot in the sense of official storylines, quests and areas one can visit to engage in battles vs raid boss like in most MMO? Nooot~ so much. Don't think ED goes in for that gameplay style, overall.

That said you're perfectly able to join in and be one of the many CMDR chipping in the humanitarian crisis of Thargoid attacks on space station, going off to them and ferrying folk away from the burning wrecks (or bringing supplies to repair 'em). There's also going out and fighting Thargoid, in specific sections of the galaxy, although you'll need specific weapons, scanners and in all honesty a Wing of fellow CMDR if you hope to survive a battle; winning solo is very tricky to achieve.

So like always its walled off behind ridiculous grinding for faction

So like always its walled off behind ridiculous grinding for faction
Um. What? No, the ship weaponry can be bought by anyone, even starting players, same goes for assisting in fixing (or even just visiting) station attacked by Thargoid. The only thing which might even be said to be restricted is winning a fight vs a Thargoid, and that's moreso as you want something bigger than a Small class ship (and a Wing) if you don't want to end up space-dust. Fighter are apparently quite effective for drawing enemy fire.

Don't know where you got that those were walled off from, dude.

I spent many hours pulling thousands of people off of Obsidian Orbital over the weekend. The aesthetics of the attacked stations are top notch and everybody should experience them at least once.

Also pro-tip, pack an AFMU on whatever ship you go exploring in. It can repair every module except itself and your power plant and it weighs nothing.

Yeah, saw the AFMU stuff after I read up about the damage aspect. Its worth pointing out I started that expedition before the neutron star boosts were even announced. So AFMUs were totally optional for exploration. :p Like I said, I had taken a bit of a break.

As for the rescue stuff. Started doing some last night only to have gankers enjoy popping me a couple times outside the station. I may be a former EVE player but that's pretty low. At least Hulkageddon had some propaganda beyond blow shit up.

As for the rescue stuff. Started doing some last night only to have gankers enjoy popping me a couple times outside the station. I may be a former EVE player but that's pretty low.
Unfortunately it's something you'll encounter a few times when visiting CG and other public events; not always, but I've encountered it occasionally in the past myself. Sticking to Solo is a potential option if you experience repeat harassment.

If you've seen the plans Frontier have unvieled for improving the bounty system recently, though, that should solve the issue nicely. Good luck murdering humanitarian efforts repeatedly when a nigh-invincible (to player assault) NPC warps in and murders you instead, gankers!

I've dabbled a bit in Open. So far haven't gotten ganked. Funnily enough the highest concentration of other CMDRs I've seen was at a Thargoid crashed scout ship site doing Palin's fetch quest. Nobody talked, we all just went and got the things we needed then fucked off.

Also you can join Moebius PVE which is a private group server that has the CMDR presence of Open but without the ganking shit.

So, came back to Elite after a RL friend mentioned it, and, I gotta say, it's much more fun playing with a community than by yourself.

The wing mission payouts makes me giddily and, by itself, should be reason enough to play with a community.

also lakon botes best botes

The wing mission payouts makes me giddily and, by itself, should be reason enough to play with a community.
Wing missions are a thing now? Last I knew you couldn't party up to do missions at all. Well, you could, but it'd be a second player flying about with you as you delivered goods from X to Y, or killed X enemies, not them doing those tasks alongside you with their own kill-count requirement or items to deliver.

So what are peoples' thoughts on this? Everyone I've talked to is uniformly pissed beyond belief, somewhat irrationally so in my opinion. I never payed too much attention to the "hints" Frontier was dropping about goodies in locked constellations, but I thought it was generally agreed they're story areas still under development, and they'll be available once they're done. Trying to poke your head into one is a diasaster waiting to happen.

The only thing I can actually fault Frontier for is the bad timing on the Galnet article release, and the (seeming) bug of dropping hostlies into the ship's no fire zone and punishing players for fighting back.

Meh. They handled it badly, but at least they tried. They need to get better though.
I didn't visit it though, so...

The only thing I can actually fault Frontier for is the bad timing on the Galnet article release
They've had that issue before, IIRC, of articles releasing before they were meant to be. Bit of egg on their faces, that, and something you'd think they would have fixed or setup as a 'this releases on X day'system - I know WordPress articles and blog posts can do that on certain dates and times, so odds are you can do it on other types of webpage/backend as well.

As for the gaff itself, I'm kinda meh about it, but I've also not been playing the game for a good while now due to how slow the story's been unfolding. I think I prefer games with a more interactive storyline, like Final Fantasy XIV's, and that's not anything against Frontier and how they've been developing the game - but I do feel they need to integrate the story in ways beyond blog posts and CG.

From my time playing I never really got the impression of being... well, anyone in particular? You could RP as whoever, but there was no defineable background for your character, nor any real way to make one beyond unlocking various system permits and Engineer; neither of which quite felt enough.

You posted this in the SB thread, btw @Tealg?

I didn't participate because my computer needs to be fixed. But I'm only mildly disappointed. I thought something like this would happen.

I get why people are upset, but the tone of some of the complaints makes me feel like people want to be upset.

I mildy dislike the reduced flight time, though that may change depending on how faithfully they simulate proper astrophysics for the planetary scan probes. If they're KSP levels of faithful, I'm totally down with trying to slingshot propes across a system. If they're a lame "shoot at planet, aim between blue and orange flightrings to shoot it's back, only one stellar object has gravity at once lol" system I'll be pissed.

It also popped out at me that the basic discovery scanner will inform players I'd there's anything special about a body, including alien sites. As time goes I'm becoming more and more convinced that FDev is frustrated at how slow we are to find their goodies, and are trying to nudge us along.

It also popped out at me that the basic discovery scanner will inform players I'd there's anything special about a body, including alien sites. As time goes I'm becoming more and more convinced that FDev is frustrated at how slow we are to find their goodies, and are trying to nudge us along.
To be fair to us players, if they wanted us to find that stuff quicker they should've provided ingame tools to do so, as we utterly lacked them until whenever this new update shall hit. Not that it hasn't stopped the playerbase doing amazing stuff in general - the ability to locate an alien site from the stars seen in a trailer come to mind - but if we have tools ingame then people beyond those who have specialized skills will actually be able to contribute. You know, the average player :p

to be fair you gotta be ELITE to play Elite

It's called Elite Dangerous, not... Average Safe Space Game. Now excuse me while I go back to playing in solo :V

So my computer got fixed and I've been playing Elite. Not the beta, because I'm not keen on doing betas, but I've been following the changes that are coming in chapter 4. Anyone still playing and looking forward to ch4?

So my computer got fixed and I've been playing Elite. Not the beta, because I'm not keen on doing betas, but I've been following the changes that are coming in chapter 4. Anyone still playing and looking forward to ch4?
I'm not on PC, but I'll be trying out the new exploration stuff at the very least.

I was going neat at a lot of changes, and then I saw as part of their BGS overhaul they also added a new mission type that'll be generated as part of the world that's like fully voice acted and involves actual objectives to do and now I'll probably hop in just to see how well those work on launch day :V

because if they do I may even be a regular player again

I was going neat at a lot of changes, and then I saw as part of their BGS overhaul they also added a new mission type that'll be generated as part of the world that's like fully voice acted and involves actual objectives to do and now I'll probably hop in just to see how well those work on launch day :V

because if they do I may even be a regular player again
Yeh the new CZs look fuckn great

I'm really looking forward to the Mamba and Krait Phantom.

So what are peoples' thoughts on this? Everyone I've talked to is uniformly pissed beyond belief, somewhat irrationally so in my opinion. I never payed too much attention to the "hints" Frontier was dropping about goodies in locked constellations, but I thought it was generally agreed they're story areas still under development, and they'll be available once they're done. Trying to poke your head into one is a diasaster waiting to happen.

The only thing I can actually fault Frontier for is the bad timing on the Galnet article release, and the (seeming) bug of dropping hostlies into the ship's no fire zone and punishing players for fighting back.

Well, this isn't the first scandal that Cannon got involved in.

To illustrate my point.

From what I've seen, combat chatter is something they implemented into non-CZs engagements as well.

At any rate, I'm really interested in the exploration changes, as well the Mamba. I also really dig the new Codex, which has both unique voiceovers, and adds much depth to the setting, as well collecting a lot of the lore into single place.

Really hoping we can start getting more involved/interactive missions now, especially since mission rewards have been bumped a while back.

So I got the game about a month back, have been doodling around when not playing stellaris.

Bought a Python yesterday and fitted it for mining just out of the Bubble.
Given I got the funds for it mining just out of the bubble in an Asp that seems appropriate
I mean 23 MCr payout for one haul, even if said haul was six jumps out, scan and probe, drop into rings and cruise around pinging and probing asteroids for a couple of hours until I found what I was looking for. (Hilariously, while my first try was a couple of hours and all did, my second try, down to my last limpets, returned it one of the first rocks I poked.)
11 jump return trip to sell the haul for max profit, only one interdiction attempt. And another set of jumps back to home base. Then cruising a bit with missions to get a feel for the new Python.

Void Opals by the way.
The mining mechanics of 3.4 are fun, if you've got the ship for it (don't mine in a sidey).

Currently in Alpha Cent, I got a message I has a Sol system permit and wanted to tourist a bit, but it seems to have gotten lost in the mail. Will see if that's amended when I log back in this evening, else it's back out in the wild black yonder.
Python jump range is lower, but that just means more systems to scan and more chances to find random hotspots.

Back