Status
Not open for further replies.
By that logic, you might as well say 'Good luck getting 4channers and SBers to stop using the T-slur'

Even if it's not going to change anything, there's nothing wrong with people pointing out that essentially using 'Lolita' as a synonym for cute is really, really icky. And the Japanese people who originally designated fashion styles that emphasized cuteness with the 'Lolita' suffix should probably have thought through the implications more.
I think this is a pretty fallacious comparison, trap is intrinsically a slur not just because of the context that it's used but by the definition of the word itself (there is no nice way to describe people as "traps"). Lolita, on the other hand, has no intrinsic connection to anything so objectionable, sure it's named after a semi-famous book that involved pedophilia but I am not convinced that the vast majority of people have read it or will ever read it.

Trap intrinsically harms people when it's used, Lolita harms no one.

Comparing the two is apples to oranges.

I think this is a pretty fallacious comparison, trap is intrinsically a slur not just because of the context that it's used but by the definition of the word itself (there is no nice way to describe people as "traps"). Lolita, on the other hand, has no intrinsic connection to anything so objectionable, sure it's named after a semi-famous book that involved pedophilia but I am not convinced that the vast majority of people have read it or will ever read it.

Comparing the two is apples to oranges.
If it weren't for the book, there'd be no reason to use that word other than as a not-very common diminutive of Lola.

It's not an exact comparison because it's not precisely a slur, but it's undeniable that the word is inherently connected with pedophilia.

Was hoping this tangent would die off but here we are. Literally every time the fashion is brought up this exact same conversation happens, it's something people in the community are aware of and are working towards changing it. I honestly don't know why we're even having this discussion since it's clear to me that no one here wears or talks about this fashion on SV with any regularity (or really at all), it really just seems like more rules-lawyering and a tangent besides.

I agree with your statement, but let's add some nuance to that:

The slur definition of trap hasn't even made it to any of the major (that is, Oxford or Merriam-Webster) dictionaries yet. It probably won't make it for some years as its use as a slut is still niche and uncommon outside of some parts of the internet.

Lolita's origin might taint the word, but that doesn't render it inaccurate or unusable.

Languages evolve, the meanings of words change, new words appear to describe new things. Arguing over it endlessly is rather pointless, and at this point is little more than a off topic tangent.

I agree with your statement, but let's add some nuance to that:

The slur definition of trap hasn't even made it to any of the major (that is, Oxford or Merriam-Webster) dictionaries yet. It probably won't make it for some years as its use as a slut is still niche and uncommon outside of some parts of the internet.

Lolita's origin might taint the word, but that doesn't render it inaccurate or unusable.

I'm sorry, but what exactly are you saying here? I'm kinda out of it, so I find myself having trouble following your point.

Information: Thread locked per policy
thread locked per policy
As it has been a week and change since the extension to discussion was given, the thread has been locked per standing thread policy. It will be unlocked for the next Tribunal, as is standard.

new thread is opened
Per new policy decision, each new year gets a new ATCT thread. Check here for the 2020/2021 thread:
forums.sufficientvelocity.com

Administrative Tribunal Commentary Thread - 2019/2020 Term Discussion

In light of the fact that the existing Tribunal commentary thread was almost five years old, with hundreds of pages and eleven thousand posts, I have started a new thread for the new decade. Going forward, we will create a new commentary thread as we move from one year to the next, and archive...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back