Status
Not open for further replies.
Introduction

Ford Prefect

What is Project Zohar?
Pronouns
He/Him
In the grand tradition of the fourth estate ...

This thread will serve as the place for users to comment on Tribunal hearings. In line with the reformed process, when a new matter comes before the Council for review, this thread will be open and the opening argument of each party will be presented.

At the conclusion of a Tribunal, the hearing will be archived in a publicly viewable place. This thread will remain open for a week from that point, allowing users to discuss the Tribunal and its results among themselves and with members of the Staff and Council.

All discussion must be in accordance with the Community Compact, along with the posting guidelines I will provided in the post below. A failure to adhere to them will, at minimum, result in your removal from this thread.

Now, with all that out of the way, let's all enjoy something that only SV offers: genuine internet courtroom antics!

Thread guidelines
As with all threads on SV, the Administrative Tribunal Commentary Thread is subject to the Community Compact and all other active policies. In addition to the Compact, it has its own guidelines.

What not to do

Do not make personal attacks

We're not here to discuss the individual personalities involved. Leave your insults at the door. This applies particularly to Councilors, appellants and advocates, but also applies to staff and other users.

Do not be combative

This is not a debate thread. There is absolutely nothing to be won, and long arguments will not serve the purpose of the thread. That is not to say that you can't dispute something that another user has said, or that you have no right of reply when someone disputes what you have said. Just don't go ten rounds with each other.

Do not restart old arguments

It will be normal to refer to previous events and decisions in order to discuss current matters. However, this is not an excuse to have an argument about old matters. Confine yourselves to the ongoing matter.

What to do

Be constructive

This is a good opportunity to be heard on SV's little criminal justice system, but if you're going to be involved in the discussion you should have something to actually contribute.

Chill out

Seriously.

If necessary, you will be ejected from the thread for three days. If you consistently fail to live up to these guidelines then you may be removed from the thread for longer periods as deemed appropriate.

Last edited:
2015-REV-03 Staff and Poaw
As a Tribunal is currently in full swing, in line with the policy that I outlined I will present the opening arguments of both parties for discussion.

2015-REV-03 Staff and Poaw

Poaw provided the following statement:

Tribunal Appeal Form

On [25 March], [50 point infraction] was [UPHELD] by Supervisor Moderator Pale Wolf.

I am appealing because I believe that the Supervisor Moderator's decision was unreasonable because:

[X] The Supervisor Moderator failed to take into account the fact that: my posting was not a strawman insofar as it was a real position directly espoused by Selwyn and supported by Flectran, The Curious Fan, firefossil, Reveen, Arch-Vile, Jace911, 1986ctcel, asdx, helnae, 00mega, Redium, TheBleachDoctor, MJ12 Commando, spacemonkey37, Fission Battery, Pale Wolf, Euryale, Enohthree, notthepenguins, samdamandias, Dangerman, Peanut Butter, *, Ottriman, E73S, trob030490, anisarian, Roadie, Bran the Blessed, Rook, Ser_Serendipity, ebolasos, GnosisEater, and therefore the Staff Member's interpretation of the post [WAS NOT] one that a reasonable person could have come to, because: my position was based on a verbatim reading of both Selwyn's post and the subsequently high degree of support she enjoyed for that position. People actual believe this and said as much within the thread.

Additionally, it is very hard to believe that Pale Wolf handled my appeal in good faith, given that he was among those who supported Selwyn's position. To have him turn around and dismiss my position as a strawman was both wrong (as indicated above) and improper given the conflict of interest involved. I assume no malfeasance of the part of the directorship on this specific issue, but I am disappointed that this appeal process was drawn out five weeks before foamy's promotion and thereby allowed a bad faith actor to insert himself into the process.

[ ] The Supervisor Moderator failed to take into account __________, and therefore the Staff Member's interpretation of the Rules [WAS / WAS NOT] one that a reasonable person could have come to, because: __________________.

Swordomatic then provided a statement on behalf of the Moderation section:

The Infracted, poaw, states that his post was not a strawman, and was, as stated in the quote:
'instead based on a verbatim reading of both Selwyn's post and the subsequently high degree of support she enjoyed for that position. People actual believe this and said as much within the thread.'
Thus, his infraction should not be reversed.

After reading through the entire thread and getting a gist for the arguments therein, I must state that whether his post was a strawman or not is ultimately irrelevant to the infraction at hand.

poaw was ultimately infracted for violating a rule: CC. III. 15. 5.: 'Posting personal attacks or ad hominem arguments which go beyond the level of what might reasonably be expressed in frustration in the course of a debate'. In his post, he states (and I quote) that
'Yes, if your reaction to people asking you for sex is to think about murdering them, then you need to be tied down to a table and fed Jell-o for the rest of your life. Because if something that minor triggers fantasizing then how low is the threshold for actually doing some heinous shit? For the good of society if you know that Elliota Rodgers is walking around why wouldn't you be worried about exactly what normal day to day interaction sends her to Gunbroker.com to finally put her plan into action and get even with the world?'
Though he does not directly address Selwyn with the infracted post, it is clear that he is referring to her, as shown by the fact that the gist of his statement is identical to his arguments with Selwyn earlier in the thread. As such, he was infracted for making a personal attack, and it is clear that he has done so against Selwyn in a roundabout but still obvious fashion. Thus, the infraction is justified.

In addition, regardless of the validity of poaw's posting, the fact of the matter is that he violated Ford Perfect's earlier warning in the thread, as quoted:
'Find it in yourselves to not be screaming hotheads. If you've got a problem with what someone has said, you can make that clear. You don't even have to be particularly polite about it. But if you can't prevent yourself being needlessly aggressive, give yourself some space first.'
Subsequently, he also states:
'If I hear a noise out of this thread I will come down on it and everyone making trouble.'
In both statements, there is the clear implication that any further continuation of the argument with Selwyn will be found as a violation of CC. III. 15. 5. and thus met with harsher moderator action. As was presented above, it is clear that he continued the argument in a roundabout yet clear fashion in an attempt to attack Selwyn's stance, in clear violation of the Community Compact and Ford Perfect's warning. Thus, as is standard procedure, he was infracted for double the points for willfully ignoring a staff warning to avoid such activity and carried on regardless.

Whether or not the post was dismissed by the Magistrate handling the appeal as a strawman argument or not is ultimately irrelevant to the infraction at hand, for poaw was not infracted on the basis of bad faith debating or poor posting behavior. poaw was infracted for violating CC. III. 15. 5. and his infraction magnified by his willful ignorance of a staff member's verbal warning within the thread, by posting after less than twenty four hours had passed and assuredly long after he had read the warning posted by Ford Perfect. In this, it is blatantly clear that, regardless of the personal opinions of the arguments within or their validity thereof, poaw's infraction was justified, and thus should not be overturned.

LordSquishy then laid out the question presented to the Tribunal:

For the Tribunal:

Question Presented:

1. Was it reasonable for Ford Prefect to conclude that poaw violated his warning to "chill the fuck out" and "cool off with that shit" when he posted "Yes, if your reaction to people asking you for sex is to think about murdering them, then you need to be tied down to a table and fed Jell-o for the rest of your life."?

2. Was it reasonable for Ford Prefect to conclude that, in the context of the thread, poaw's comment constituted a personal attack on Selwyn, and- considering your conclusion with respect to (1) as either a mitigating or aggravating factor- that it rose to the level of a violation of 15.5, a "personal attacks or ad hominem arguments which go beyond the level of what might reasonably be expressed in frustration in the course of a debate"?

Please note that we are currently in a transition period as we implement the full range of new systems, so unfortunately this Tribunal was a little slow to implement and looks kind of messy. In future everything should be neater and more professional. As always, please abide by the guidelines laid out above.

Just to note for people: The peculiar phrasing of poaw's tribunal statement owes itself entirely to Lord Squishy's turgid form. I hope to produce something better shortly, but my track record with timelines is not ideal.

A couple of things I find problematic. The first, in regards to the first question posed to the tribunal, is that C.o.S.a.R jumped in at the end of a series of escalating posts between Jace and poaw. Further mixing things up is that the warnings given out for poaw was for side commentary and defending Apocal, which after that stage poaw was involved in the main argument instead of sideline potshots. Also, it was Apocal, rather, who was warned about the lines between internet insults and the potential to harm with implications about people's mental status/health.

So on the one hand, you have poaw stopping the sideline commentary but on the other, failing to heed the one given to Apocal. Then we have Jace going for the last word in his back-and-forth with poaw then attempting to drop the matter, poaw getting in his last word, then C.o.S.a.R. jumping with his one post for the thread and continuing the argument after the "chill the fuck out" commandment.

The second problem I'm finding is the issue of when someone makes their own personal experiences or thoughts as the basis of their argument, just how far are you allowed to attack that argument before it becomes a personal attack? Again, we have things muddying the waters like how that Selwyn did not continue posting but others took up her arguments. At what point does that argument stop becoming the initial poster's? What happens if the supporting poster makes an unfortunate implication about original poster in an attempt to continue the debate, what is the opposition suppose to do?

Twelve hours and three posts in the thread? My god. Praise be to the administration for the most effective drama curb since the banhammer was first unveiled. Moving on to the subject of the thread, even if the part of Ford's post was telling Apocal not to straight up accuse someone of mental disturbance, poaw should have taken it as a hint to everyone reading it. Instead, the exchange went right down in that direction. Given the clear warning and the infraction's actual justification it seems like a clean judgment to me.

What Poaw posted was clearly an attack. "Tied down to a table and fed jello for life"? Seriously?
If he had said "need to be kept away from society" or something similar that would presumably be fine, and get across what I think his point was, that thinking about killing someone is an overreaction to something that happens so often in society. However tied down to a table and fed jello for life is some sort of cruel and unusual punishment.
Edit: or maybe I was misreading and the post was sarcastic? I might be a little confused.

Last edited:
Hm. If poaw was infracted for strawmanning, then this is what should be looked at. It might be his post also broke other rules, but if he were not infracted for those, then this should be irrelevant. So the question is: For what was he in fact originally infracted?

It might be his post also broke other rules, but if he were not infracted for those, then this should be irrelevant
Why would it be irrelevant?

To use a bad analogy (which is in no way meant to reflect the current situation): If a cop were to pull someone over for speeding, but then realized the radar was malfunctioning and the person wasn't speeding and that the car had a broken taillight (or other similar problem), should the person be free to go without the accompanying fine?

Why would it be irrelevant?

To use a bad analogy (which is in no way meant to reflect the current situation): If a cop were to pull someone over for speeding, but then realized the radar was malfunctioning and the person wasn't speeding and that the car had a broken taillight (or other similar problem), should the person be free to go without the accompanying fine?
Well, he should not get a fine for speeding. Technically speaking, in this case the infraction would have to be withdrawn and a new one be administered.

Hm. If poaw was infracted for strawmanning, then this is what should be looked at. It might be his post also broke other rules, but if he were not infracted for those, then this should be irrelevant. So the question is: For what was he in fact originally infracted?

Looking at the thread, I can see a notice that says "If the thread is informed about ceasing a particular behaviour, a user should not continue and escalate that behaviour". I'm not entirely sure where the strawman part comes into it.

I'm not really sure there's much of a case for appeal. I mean, yeah, it might be a little inappropriate for Pale Wolf to be the presiding Magistrate of the appeal, but a quick read of the thread from the warning point on shows that Poaw was getting steadily more heated from the moment the thread was unlocked, which kinda is the exact opposite of what Ford asked for.

Not sure I'd necessarily call it, in the end, a personal attack, per say, but it does seem like he was steadily getting worse as the thread went on. That said, he comes pretty close to the line several posts beforehand, too, so I can see where it's coming from. It certainly does seem like the debate had left the bounds of what can even remotely be called polite.

Honestly, the whole thread seems like a heck of a lot more warnings could easily have been warranted. It doesn't seem like it was a very nice debate.

Using context, yes, I think I can see where Ford is coming from on this one. He (Poaw) does pretty much reference Selwyn's earlier post (this is the post I refer to here). This isn't a argument that came up after the warning, it's a continuation of the original argument. It's very easy to view it as a attack that doesn't name names. Ford asked for the thread to calm down, and it pretty clearly didn't. The thread was locked. There was time to calm down, and Ford isn't the only Moderator who noted that the thread was getting out of hand.

I sympathize with the guy, cause I don't believe he was using a straw-man, given his opponents were actually taking a stance on the side he was saying they were, if perhaps he was exaggerating it to a extreme, but it's pretty clear that he didn't take Ford's direction to heart. That said, his use of 'Elliota Rodgers' is somewhat damning to read, since it appears to be there solely to draw a comparison to a female Elliot Rodgers. It makes it different to see any other narrative to the argument except that he's trying to make comparisons to a rather high profile murderer, which is pretty clearly outside of the bounds of a reasonable debate.

Given that the nature of the debate itself isn't material to the infraction, it really does look like there isn't grounds for an appeal.

What Poaw posted was clearly an attack. "Tied down to a table and fed jello for life"? Seriously?
If he had said "need to be kept away from society" or something similar that would presumably be fine, and get across what I think his point was, that thinking about killing someone is an overreaction to something that happens so often in society. However tied down to a table and fed jello for life is some sort of cruel and unusual punishment.
Edit: or maybe I was misreading and the post was sarcastic? I might be a little confused.

I've tried to read the post as sarcastic and I'm just not seeing it, honestly. Paow's posting was getting worse and worse (like everyone else's) as the thread goes on. It's difficult to take it as a genuinely sarcastic comment in that light. He (and others) really could have used a thread ban to cool off when the thread was locked, it looks like.

Well, he should not get a fine for speeding. Technically speaking, in this case the infraction would have to be withdrawn and a new one be administered.

The violation he was infracted for is for personal attacks and/or ad hominim beyond what can be expected to be posted in frustration. Whether or not he was strawmanning is irrelevant to the infraction, as it's not what he was infracted for.

Wait, you mean that considering cold-blooded murder in response to allegedly 'minor' nuisances isn't justified-

Oh, wait, we're sitting in judgement of the guy who spoke out against that position.

That's fine then.

Wait, you mean that considering cold-blooded murder in response to allegedly 'minor' nuisances isn't justified-

Oh, wait, we're sitting in judgement of the guy who spoke out against that position.

That's fine then.
Oh no, I think over half the thread should be infracted, her too, but that's not material to the discussion.

Oh no, I think over half the thread should be infracted, her too, but that's not material to the discussion.
I can't imagine why you think people should be infracted for advocating as innocuous an activity as murder, but you're right, this isn't relevant to the proceedings.

We must consider the real crime here. What is that crime, I hear you ask? Why, it's obvious-

Jello.

As stated above, if @poaw were to have simply suggested that it would be safer to have removed the individuals who believe in their god given right to murder anyone who looks at them funny from society and placed them in prison, then- While his opinion would, of course, have been badwrong and not in line with right thinking standards- it wouldn't have been against the rules, as such. It was his horrifying threat to have the victim forced to eat jello that makes this a clear cut attack upon all that is good and just in our forum.

Let's be frank- This could have been prevented. Poaw didn't have to turn to the jello side of the forum. But he did, and what happened next is a matter of public record.

This sort of vile, lime flavored behavior cannot be allowed to stand.

Uphold, good counselors!

I can't imagine why you think people should be infracted for advocating as innocuous an activity as murder, but you're right, this isn't relevant to the proceedings.
Maybe it's because no one was actually advocating murder, just saying that the intense frustration made them wish, for a moment, that they could, but wouldn't attempt to do so because it would be wrong and would get messy.

Edit: unless the thread went Places™ after I exited, following the post that somehow caused Apocal to hold a petty grudge. But this isn't the place to discuss that.

Last edited:
This shouldn't even have gone this far given the conflict of interest potential here. Overturn.

Warning: Warning
following the post that somehow caused Apocal to hold a petty grudge. But this isn't the place to discuss that.
warning Since I have the misfortune of having to stage-manage this particular Tribunal, I might as well extend that supervisory jurisdiction to the public gallery- i.e., this thread.

This is not the place for your petty bitching at Apocal on a matter not even tangentially relevant. Have a week's vacation from this thread.

Just to note for people: The peculiar phrasing of poaw's tribunal statement owes itself entirely to Lord Squishy's turgid form. I hope to produce something better shortly, but my track record with timelines is not ideal.
Please, don't put 'Lord Squishy' and 'Turgid' in the same sentence.

I'm not sure how to parse Poaw's post in such a way where it's not a personal attack. Moreover and more importantly, it was done after multiple mod warnings to knock it off, and Poaw was not the only one who ate a warning for continuing terrible behavior in that thread.

That said, I have a procedural question. What is the window for appealing something? This happened in February; it strikes me that Poaw's appeal is untimely in the extreme, as surely the window has run after two and a half months.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back