Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I wish I had more experience with the forum to feel comfortable with applying to administration. I am excited by the prospect, but currently feel that as a neophyte I'm a bit lost (Especially without any guideline or structure to the application process--were there more, I might actually try, but as it stands I'd need some help. Hell, I probably will need some help even after a year here, just because I base most things on examples and templates).

So what does this rating mean?
If one wished to assume the worse, that image could be taken to mean, "I am calling you the n-word while suggesting that you are too ignorant to know that I am doing so."

'Cause, I mean, I have known people who use the word associated with that image in that way. It is a thing.

If one wished to assume the worse, that image could be taken to mean, "I am calling you the n-word while suggesting that you are too ignorant to know that I am doing so."

'Cause, I mean, I have known people who use the word associated with that image in that way. It is a thing.

Isn't that an eggplant?
I must admit I'm rather curious to the link.

Isn't that an eggplant?
I must admit I'm rather curious to the link.
That is, in fact, an eggplant.

And in Italian the name of the plant refers to the vegetable's dark skin. For that reason, it was taken to refer to dark skinned people if not among Italians in Italy than at the very least among Italian-Americans.

There's a handful of derivations of the Italian word for 'eggplant' that might sound more familiar. But they're more clearly slurs so...

(This is, by the way, why Dennis Hopper calls Christopher Walken an eggplant in True Romance. If you haven't seen True Romance you probably should. It is well worth the time it takes to watch.)

I'm guessing @Pale Wolf was unaware of this and chose the image because it seemed uninterpretably random to them. It's just unfortunate that a common word for the object pictured in that image is, in fact, a slur in certain contexts.

And in Italian the name of the plant refers to the vegetable's dark skin. For that reason, it was taken to refer to dark skinned people if not among Italians in Italy than at the very least among Italian-Americans.

There's a handful of derivations of the Italian word for 'eggplant' that might sound more familiar. But they're more clearly slurs so...

Thank you for explaining that, I honestly had never understood how it could be derogatory, but that makes perfect sense.

I'm guessing @Pale Wolf was unaware of this and chose the image because it seemed uninterpretably random to them. It's just unfortunate that a common word for the object pictured in that image is, in fact, a slur in certain contexts.

I'm used to it also being a Hyperdimensional Neptunia reference (due to the titular character being incredibly purple), hence the despair of Swordomatic (who loves his neps dearly).

(This is, by the way, why Dennis Hopper calls Christopher Walken an eggplant in True Romance. If you haven't seen True Romance you probably should. It is well worth the time it takes to watch.)

While this is a fascinating look into a rude Italian slang that I had never heard of before, and the "uninterpretably random" explanation certainly is a valid possibility, I think there's probably a much more innocent and less random-chance-y.

You see Swordo's avatar? Aside from the mask, that is the main character of the Hyperdimension Neptunia video game series. She has a noted and pronounced dislike of eggplants. Throwing up images of eggplants has become a way of ribbing Swordo as a result. I would guess that that's all it is, myself.

Aaaaand I have been ninja'd. A lot. Oh well.

Edit: It's been brought to my attention that there's a spot of ambiguity in this post. The "she" who has a "noted and pronounced dislike of eggplants" is the character in the avatar, named Neptune. Combine this with people being associated with their avatars a bit, and it sort of... transferred over to Swordo, as it were. As he recently reminded me, no doubt concerned that I had gone around the bend at last, Swordo is a "he".

Last edited:

You know how I mentioned earlier that the bad actors are much more creative about how to be a dickweasel than we are?

Wtf how is 'eggplant' a slur?!

I mean, at least it made my point for me, but I was not expecting that one.

I'm used to it also being a Hyperdimensional Neptunia reference (due to the titular character being incredibly purple), hence the despair of Swordomatic (who loves his neps dearly).

I haven't actually played it but I hang out on Discord with Swordo and there's a tradition of tormenting him with the :eggplant: emoticon, so it came to mind as a rating I could apply to Ars Poetica's post.

It's surprisingly expressive!

You know how I mentioned earlier that the bad actors are much more creative about how to be a dickweasel than we are?

Wtf how is 'eggplant' a slur?!

I mean, at least it made my point for me, but I was not expecting that one.
He explained it a few posts up.

He explained it a few posts up.
Point is that nobody seriously expected "eggplant" to be a racial slur of all things. Especially not @Pale Wolf. I've never heard of it, either.

Like, what the hell. It was supposed to be a joke. This is just pure Poe's Law in action. This just proves that assholes can even turn the most innocuous of things into something that can be abused to harass and demean others.

And before anyone brings it up: no, that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to do anything against it anyway.

'Banana' and 'oreo' can also be slurs in certain contexts. The moral of the story is that as a species we are incredibly good at being total assholes.

But at least those make sense...
The aubergine is strange because it has no special meaning. According to that logic, anything not white can be a slur (okay, they can, but that's due to intonation mostly)

More like literally anything regardless of color or features can be used to hurt or mock someone else, because humans are creative and inventive at coming up with ways to be complete and utter assholes.

It's honestly for the best that the staff don't just limit enforcement of the rules to 'obvious' attacks through 'normal' channels, for exactly that reason.

because humans are creative and inventive at coming up with ways to be complete and utter assholes.
Now that's the truth.

There was always another new inventive way to witness people being jerks to each other when I was a mod, and actually still now.

There's a reason the rules are written rather broadly. No rules-lawyering.

Which is ironic, considering how people accuse us of being a lawyer LARP. :p

Oh dear.

The term is Aubergine thank you very much.
The common folk prefer a less formal, jovial name, hence why I go by 'Eggplant' and not Aubergine of Nightshade.
It's also, as I recently found, used as a phallic emoji, so w/e
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) I think that the people of this realm should keep the right to use my royal insignia freely, but if they wish to use it for offensive purposes they could pick a better insult than a silly purple fruit with a funny name :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back