A Regiment at War: A American Civil War Quest

The Eastern Theater: Winter Interlude - November 15th - November 30th, 1863 New
The Eastern Theater: Winter Interlude - November 15th - November 30th, 1863

"I am so glad you decided to do this; this is the first formal gathering I have attended since the children were born." Ann Marie Yates, dressed in a brilliant blue and white dress, her red hair in a red bow, hung onto her husband's arm as the pair walked into the East Room of the White House.

"Of course, we get to support the President and show the flag, but more importantly, I get to dance with the most beautiful woman in the country."

"Ha! You flatter me too much, Sebastian." Ann Marie lightly punched her husband's shoulder as a loud booming voice echoed across the room. "Lieutenant General and Mrs. Sebastian Yates!" Loud clapping was heard as both acknowledged those in the room.

"General Yates! Ma'dam Yates, welcome!" Major General Montgomery C. Meigs, Quartermaster General of the Army, spoke as he approached with his wife Louisa Rodgers, the daughter of the famous Commodore John Rodgers.

"Ann Marie, please, General, but hello!" Ann Marie quickly replied, Sebstian noticing her smiling from ear to ear as she was thrilled to engage in social rhetoric. While Sebastian knew how to approach the political landscape now, Ann Marie had become a master. "You look well, General Meigs, and you as well, Louisa; I hope your son is well, yes?"

"He is, thank you, he is down in South Carolina, do believe, attached to General Sheridan's Corps. Engineer, of course." Louisa replied, glancing at a slightly grinning Miegs. "I was pleased to hear your men are resting now, General Yates. It's awful business already fighting. I can't imagine it doing winter time."

"While snow isn't terrible where we are, rain and overflowing rivers are. Also, temperatures drop pretty drastically, so the least I can do is give the boys a rest. Also, we will be granting furloughs again, so hopefully, he can get home for a few weeks. John, correct?"

"Aye, sir, our eldest." Meigs nodded with pride. "He does well, and I hope to see him continue to rise within the ranks, earning it, of course. You can't climb without proving your weight. Some say you moved too quickly and don't deserve the position. To that, I say rubbish, sir! Just look at what you did at Petersburg and before Goldsboro and Raleigh. It was masterful, sir."

"Well, I thank you for the kind words, General, and do know we couldn't do anything without you and the Quartermaster Department. Without supply, we stop functioning."

"Quite right! I hear that's one of the reasons why you halted your campaign in South Carolina?"

Sebastion nodded. "It was of significant consideration, especially the state of the railways. Other factors were also involved, such as the simple fact that my men needed a break. They had fought for months almost nonstop and needed the rest."

"Oh, I don't fault you one bit, Sebastian, if I may?" Sebastian nodded about using his given name, "I think that is why your men and many up here wildly support you. You have proven you care for them and their well-being. Some commanders certainly don't care, more than a few towards those of colored soldiers, I might add."

"They have proven themselves time and again, so I hope the public and those that command them have come to realize that they are a true asset to the Union."

"Mighty indeed, Sebastian, mighty indeed." Meigs gave a genial smile and patted his chest. "Well, sir, I'll let you and Mrs. Yates be and enjoy the party."

Ann Marie gave a slight curtsey and smiled as she guided Sebastian away, still holding onto his arm. "Heads up, it looks like Salmon Chase is angling to speak to you." She nodded towards an older man who looked to be in his mid-fifties, wearing a black and white suit and bow tie. He was talking with several senators and congressmen but looked in Sebastian's direction. "The Secretary, I am sure, will try and "recruit" you without recruiting you."

Salmon Chase currently served as Lincoln's Secretary of the Treasury, though it was no secret that he had ambitions to be President; there were even rumors that he would try to unseat him come the next election. Sebastian would rather avoid him altogether, being firmly a Lincoln man and having no interest in supporting anyone else. "I would rather avoid him if we can."

Ann Marie narrowed her eyes as she scanned the room for a few seconds as if a hawk looking for their prey narrowed in on a couple. "General Grant is here; surely you both can fend off the advancing of one ambitious political mind with your superior military minds!"

"Please remind me never to make you mad, ever." Sebastion kissed his wife's cheek as the couple quickly moved over to where Ulysses and Julia engaged in light conversation. "Sam, might we join you?"

"Certainly. Hope you two are having a pleasant evening."

"Well enough, Sam, sort of hiding from Salmon Chase." Sebastian glanced back over his shoulder as Grant laughed. "Ah yes, hear he is trying to gear up to take on the President, though he won't ever actually say it."

"Would rather just not have the conversation; I support the President, and that is that."

"My sentiments exactly, Sebastian. Granted, I am not nearly as interested in politics as you are. Don't worry; I won't ask. I am sure you get the question all the time."

Sebastian rolled his eyes as he laughed in return. "I am sure it will be asked at least four or five times indirectly tonight."

"Don't tell me you don't enjoy these engagements, Sebastian, Ann Marie, and I certainly do." Julia Grant stated as she and Ann Marie giggled at their husbands. "She runs rings around me, Miss Julia, I fully admit."

"As I do around Sam, but you two must suffer while we enjoy ourselves."

Grant smirked as Sebastian just slyly grinned and glanced over at Sam. "Sam, if you don't mind, would like to have a word about Joe Hooker if I can."

"Let's step over here." Sam moved to the side as their wives continued to gossip like the pair of socialites they were. Sebastian's heart warmed as he saw Ann Marie back in her element and engaging with others. She seemed most happy when she was in a group.

"So Joe Hooker, know he is a friend of yours." Grant spoke first, pulling out a cigar and a box of matches and lighting it up.

"He is indeed, and while I know you will do what you feel is best, but you weighed in with Hunter, I feel I need to do the same with Hooker." Sebastian felt uneasy but relaxed as Grant nodded at him to go ahead. "Joe Hooker is aggressive, sometimes to a fault, but he indeed fights and can and usually does have a good head on his shoulders. I just believe he gets into his head and thinks he has to prove himself to be the best and on the top while always shooting to move towards the top. Man is ambitious as all hell, much like Chase, now that I think about it. But he is a good asset and person to have on your side and will fight for you, even when you don't ask for it."

"You are talking about post Antietam?"

Sebastian nodded affirmatively. "Aye, was one of the first and loudest to give his support to me. Same with Kearny, but Joe made his voice pretty clear what he felt, and I know it helped convince the President and even grumpy old Stanton."

"Stanton seems to come around to at least tolerating you; man has a brilliant mind but can be a total jackass." Both men laughed at this as Sebastian felt more at ease for sticking up for his friend and feeling he still held Grant's confidence.

"He downright hated me, and he might still, honestly, but I try not to bug him as nearly as much." Sebastian shook his head as he thought back to the telegrams between the two, but over the passing months, things had become much more pleasant, and the recent conversation with Stanton had been beyond civil.

"I'll think on Hooker, but the man compromised our position in East Tennessee heavily and refused to take responsibility for it. Kearny and Stanton spoke to me about the letters he sent, and it seems he has been down the whole war. Though Kearny went to bat for him much as you have Sebastian, that isn't something I take lightly. We haven't served together directly, but we are like-minded in some aspects and different in others, which isn't bad." Grant briefly puffed on his cigar, and Sebastian nodded, and his counterpart spoke up again. "This coming campaign will be a nasty fight, worse than we have seen yet, I reckon. That said, I think between the two of us, we will see victory and unite this union."

"Might I cut in, or you two hotly engaged?"

Sebastian and Grant both turned. Sebastian smiled, seeing his old friend and benefactor taking an offered hand. "Not at all, Senator. It's mighty good to see you again. Sam, have you met Senator William Sprague from Rhode Island?"

'Haven't had the pleasure, no, Senator." Grant gave a respectful nod as the Senator chuckled a bit. "You know I take credit for young Sebastian here, gave him his commission when I was Governor of Rhode Island, a hell of a chance I do say so!"

"Ah, you are the one everyone can blame, then." Sebastian rolled his eyes as the other two laughed. "Come now, Sebastian, it's not that bad. However, I am offended, sir! You arrived the day after my wedding—how do you account for this?!"

Sebastian smirked as Sprague smiled, shaking his head. "Forgive me, William, I had to make several stops on the way up here, though I heard it was quite the event." William married Katherine Chase, the daughter of Salmon Chase, on the Twelfth, which was called the "Social event of the Season."

"Ah yes, the war, such excuses, I see. Things going well, yes?"

"Doing well, I say. We are letting the men rest up and reorganize as we rebuild our logistics behind the lines. I am confident we will see the war's end next year," Sebastian stated as William clasped his back. From your mouth to God's ears, Sebastian. This terrible war needs to end, and we see our boys come home in one piece."

"Ah, Sebastian, it seems your old "friend" is in attendance." Grant pointed with his cigar to Benjamin Butler, who continued to throw whatever he could at Sebastian to stain his reputation and, if possible, see his removal. "I highly doubt he will wish to speak to me, Sam, and I think we can all agree that we should avoid a fight this night."

"Rat bastard is what he is." Sprague pipped up, Sebastian spotting anger rising. "Man tries to sell out the Union and has the gall to call you out? Varment."

Sebastian sighed slightly as he tried to put the man out of his mind. Butler was an annoyance but nothing more in Sebastian's eye. His record proved his resolve and commitment to the Union and where his loyalties lay. "Don't worry, Senator, as much I trust in my friends and allies, I am not too worried, though if you have anything that might help, I wouldn't say no."

"You mean if he has met with my new father-in-law?" Sprague quickly nodded in response. "Oh, he has, along with other Radical Republicans. I love Katie, but those two do work in a pair, so be watchful, Sebastian, and you as well, General Grant; they have already begun their campaign to push for the Presidency, though I think Old Abe has the country behind him, especially if he wraps up the war before the election."

"Don't worry, Senator. The President has many friends and stalwart political operatives behind him." Ann Marie smiled once more as she put her arm around Sebastian. If you don't mind, I am stealing my husband for a dance." Sebastian excused himself and went off to dance with Ann Marie; many eyes focused on them as she and Sebastian forgot about the war and politics and danced, enjoying themselves.

After the dance, Sebastian and Ann Marie spent the rest of the evening mingling with friends and allies and networking with others as they sought to form support for the war effort and the President. Sebastian spoke to Thaddeus Stevens for a good twenty minutes discussing how the Negro troops were fairing under his command, ably assisted by one Brigadier General Robert Gold Shaw, former commander of the 54th Massachusetts (Colored) and now leading one of his brigades within Getty's XVIII Corps. Several other onlookers joined them, including Senator Charles Stevens, Congressman James Ashley from Ohio, and George S. Boutwell from Massachusetts, along with several military officers with Major General Daniel Sickles and his old friend Jesse Reno prominent.

Sebastian stole a few moments to talk to Reno, who seemed to have steadily recovered from his injury in July. "Jesse, it is good to see you. How are you feeling?"

"Oh, as good as could be expected, Sebastian, it seems you are doing well for yourself. And congratulations on becoming a father. A massive milestone, not to mention where you also stand on the battlefield."

"You know it could have easily been you in my place, Jesse; I learned much from you and John Parke."

"It is a shame about Parke; he was a good man and friend. Who are you putting in his place, if I might ask?"

Sebastian delayed a moment before replying, still feeling guilty about what he had decided to do. "No one, the Third Corps, and I hate to say it, the First are so low in numbers that I am disbanding them and putting their divisions into other Corps to strengthen them for the spring campaign. I know some won't be happy, but in the end, we must be as strong as we can be when we advance on Atlanta."

"First Corps as well? Replacing John Reynolds?"

"Disbanding the Corps but moving John down to Florida to take over from Hunter and forming the Department of Florida under his command. He is a good fit for the command and proved his leadership ability."

"Hrm... removing Hunter might cause you some hits on the political side, but nothing like Butler. Never was a fan of Hunter, always put himself above others, much like a few others we know."

"Just a few?" Sebastian chuckled as he took a snip of the drink he was having. "What are you doing nowadays, Jesse? Still on sick leave?"

"Currently in charge of the Invalid Corps, men who have been wounded to keep them out of the line but are able enough to do garrison and light duty. Currently, we have twenty-five thousand under our rolls. It also gives you and General Grant more troops in the field, as we furnish garrisons here in the north and some points south."

Sebastian nodded. "I have heard of it but didn't know it was that strong. God knows I have too many soldiers tied down, guarding points behind my lines from partisans and just keeping supplies flowing."

"They do good work, but I would be lying if I didn't say I wanted another more active command. Nothing on the line; I don't think I can campaign anymore, but maybe a District or Department command?"

Sebastian wanted to instantly accept and give his friend a command under him again, though it did feel off as Reno had more experience and outranked him for most of the war. He would have to think about whether he wanted to put Reno back in the line of fire again and if he wanted to face his wife for doing so. Sebastian wanted to make several more organizational changes within his command, and Reno's offer could help him with some of them.

Of course Sebastian, some would say Sebastian was meddling once more, especially when it came out he was replacing Hunter, but that was also one of the reasons he found himself at the Ball that night. "I'll see what I can do, Jesse; I still feel I owe you much."

"Help win the war, Sebastian; that is all I ask."

The rest of the night was spent talking to soldiers, officers, and politicians, Sebastian and Ann Marie enjoying themselves. President Lincoln would make a small, informal speech, though everyone stopped and paid attention, listening to him speak on the light at the end of the tunnel and how the many wrongs would soon be made right. It didn't take a genius that he was referencing the struggles with slavery and a possible, even probable, push to end slavery once and for all within the country. Sebastian admired the poise, calmness, and delivery the President always held, showing the great orator Lincoln was wildly known for.

Over the next several days, the papers would praise or bash the President, depending on which party they supported. The question of slavery continued to be hotly debated within the North. However, more were coming to support its abolishment as the Union looked far closer to victory than it had at the beginning of the year. Sebastian would be called on by many, spending as much time as he could with Ann Marie and the kids, visitors familiar with the Lees and Blairs arriving daily.

Between these visits and spending time with family, Sebastian regularly found himself at the War Department. He met with Kearny, Stanton, and other military officers to discuss the subsequent campaigns his men would see in the spring.

While Sebastian had been commanding the effort on the Eastern Front for some months, he better understood how much coordination and effort it took to control the vast Union military while at the War Department. Daily, hundreds of messages were received from the various fronts, departments, and stations with reports, requests, and questions that saw an array of officers and civilians working to master. Sebastian also found newfound respect for Edwin Stanton, keeping his finger on the pulse of the War effort, as Philip Kearny worked hand in hand with him to see that the right resources were placed in the desired locations when they were needed.

Fighting also didn't stop, even though Sebastian had given a general order for his forces to halt their advancement. On November 21st, elements of the X and XI Corps outside Charleston were withdrawn and sent on an expedition to raid the railway link between Savannah and Charleston under Francis C. Barlow. Outside of Grahamville, South Carolina, the Battle of Honey Hill was indecisive. Still, it was telling that most forces encountered were militia and not regular Confederate army, with intelligence later confirming that the Confederates were juggling resources as elements of Longstreets were confirmed to have arrived in Charleston several days later.

In Florida, Bragg and Anderson were pushed back from the outskirts of Jacksonville as John Reynolds arrived on the 24th. Two days later, Reynolds advanced most of his command to retake Baldwin and advanced to the St. Mary's River again. Reynolds would write about the bravery of the colored troops under his command, including the 8th and 35th United States Colored Regiments. This news would arrive on the inauguration of the first "Thanksgiving" in the country's history. President Lincoln declared it back on October 3rd, a day to give thanks for the year's blessings, and it is now a recognized national holiday.

Minor skirmishing would also occur along the main fronts, but both sides seemed content to rest and reorganize after the brutal campaigns and fighting over the last few months as rain and snow started to fall. While snow wasn't prominent, rain caused misery when moving troops and supplies to and from. Winter quarters were established as the first furloughs sent thousands of soldiers home for the holidays. Doctor Emil Weiss and his medical staff supervised the camps' establishment, ensuring they followed the practices that Sebastian had put into practice when he had taken command of the Army of the James just over a year ago.

Sebastian often spent nights talking to Emil, having developed a relatively close relationship with the Hungarian-turned-American doctor. The talks with Emil helped ease Sebastian's mind as he sent tens of thousands into the heat of battle. During one of these talks, Emil spoke to him about changes he wished to see within the Department.

"Sebastian," Emil always called him by his given name now. "I talked to doctors and surgeons alike. While great strides have been made within the Medical Corps, more can be done."

"Go on, Emil. It sounds like you need to get this off your chest."

"Well! First, how much red tape must we go through to get ambulances? It's incredible. Then, we must go through more to get trains and ships to move the wounded back north and allow them to heal and recover."

"Hold up Emil, I thought the Ambulance Corps was under the Medical Corps?"

Emil nodded but also shook his head. "It is, but we must beg for new wagons and teams for them every time with the Quartermasters. If they think they are needed elsewhere, we suffer and, by that, the men we strive to save. Something has to be done, Sebastian."

"So I take it you want me to talk to the War Department and get that changed? Not exactly an easy task, Emil."

"Why, my dear Sebastian, you have proven you can overcome much when the odds seem against you. I believe you can once more muster your powers of persuasion and gift for rhetoric to see this crusader to victory."

"Emil, I swear..."

"Ha! Sorry, Sebastian, but I think it is a noble cause and would help the men who suffer from this war directly on and off the battlefield. Great strides have been made, but more can be done for them. Hospitals still suffer from sanitation, some just as bad as if in the middle of a field. Instruments unwashed, removed limbs thrown in piles for days for flies and maggots to collect, it takes just one minor infection to kill a man, Sebastian. But I know only so much can be done at once; I request that you talk to General Kearny and perhaps Secretary Stanton and see that our brave boys get the care they deserve. Oh, and don't get me started on mental health!"

"I'll see If I can't shake some feathers free Emil, but I can't promise anything. Though it seems Stanton has warmed up to me of late."

Sebastian had even found himself and Ann Marie invited to several dinners at the Stanton's, one taking place once a week. Sebastian found it strange being back in the capital; it was a far contrast to being on campaign and managing a military headquarters. Here, Sebastian was bombarded with requests to join dinners and luncheons as the newspapers watched his every move. One night, he showed up at a dinner hosted by Secretary of State William Seward, where he met Rear Admiral Stepan Lesovsky of the visiting Russian Atlantic Fleet as well as Governors Oliver P. Morton of Indiana and Richard Yates of Illinois along with Benjamin Franklin Wade senator from Ohio and an open critic of President Lincoln's reconstruction plan.

After several hours talking to Senator Wade the next day, various papers printed his "meeting" with Wade. This started a hot debate about whether he supported the President's or Radical Republican plan, which called for far harsher terms for the South. Lincoln wanted a 10% oath of Alliegence within each state to rejoin the Union, while the Radicals wanted a 50% oath and slavery outlawed within state constitutions. With reconstruction becoming more and more likely, it, along with slavery, was now some of the most hotly debated topics within the Union, with Sebastian finding himself asked by many which "side" he fell in line with.

Many considered him a radical, though his support among their ranks had fallen somewhat with the feud with Benjamin Butler and Hunter's relief in Florida. He had also become more conservative in his views, fully believing in the plan the President was pushing for the South after the war but also fully behind seeing slavery ended. It was high time for Sebastian to decide where he lay with his convictions.

While Sebastian spoke to those close to him about his feelings about where he thought the country's direction and post-war should be handled, planning continued as snow engulfed the Capital. One significant aspect of the plans that Sebastian, his immediate staff (the majority now in Washington), and those within the War Department discussed was how to carry out the upcoming operations. It had already been decided that Sebastian would split his forces and go for a more enveloping strategy to cut off Confederate field armies, limit their ability to escape, and continue to rage war.

Sebastian had three main armies in the field centered around Colombia and South Carolina, and several smaller armies and departments under his control spread out through the South. John Schofield's Army of the Potomac remained his most potent; it was already back to over eighty thousand men under arms before furloughs, with George Meade's Army of the Roanoke reaching fifty thousand while Henry Slocum's Army of the Cape Fear was near forty thousand. Oliver Howard continued to command the small Army of West Virginia, with about sixteen thousand under his command, with John Reynolds down in Florida having another fifteen thousand and Quincy Adams Gilmore with eighteen thousand around Charleston. This didn't include the various departments and districts under his command, which had an estimated eighteen to nineteen thousand men to add to those totals, bringing his command to just about two hundred and forty thousand men, with numbers expected to rise over the winter and into the spring as recruits arrived, men returned from leave or having been wounded, and newly recruited regiments arrived at the front.

A general strategy had been decided a few weeks back during the meeting with the President, but Sebastian now had to figure out how he would execute it. One of his armies was to take up the direct advance, moving west onto Atlanta, another to move on Charleston and Savannah, and the last to move into southern Georgia and threaten the Confederate's southern flank. Sebastian needed to figure out how his supporting armies and departments would support the offensives, or should they remain where they were to tie down Confederate forces? As Sebastian looked over the map, he slowly began formulating a plan, though a side question had come up while he was doing so.

"General, we received a telegram from General Meade, also Colonel Sharpe, with some intelligence discovered this morning. Would you have a moment to speak on it?" Thomas Welsh, Sebastian's able Chief of Staff, approached him while sitting for a lunch break.

"Of course, Thomas, sit and join us." Sebastian pointed at a chair as he enjoyed a sandwich and lunched with Jacob Monsoon, Robert Jerkins, and Robert Lincoln, his other two aides having gone home on leave to see their families. "Nothing to trouble, I hope?"

Thomas removed his cap and sat as he pulled out the telegram. "Ah, no, sir, well, not in terms of fighting or anything. There are some small skirmishers here and there, but that is par for the course. A couple of raids here and there, but nothing that has caused much of a fuse."

"Good. Start with Meade, and we can move on to Sharpe afterward."

"Aye, sir, well, General Meade has cited that with him now operating within South Carolina and concentrating on the operations of the Roanoke, he has found it increasingly difficult to wear that hat and also be in charge of the Department of North Carolina."

Sebastian wiped his mouth with a napkin and nodded, knowing that struggle himself. He had requested that the Department of Virginia be removed from his command several months earlier. Granted, there had been talk about putting it back under his command, making it easier to coordinate the transportation of supplies and troops down to assist in the push on Atlanta. General Brooks was doing an excellent job of running the Department in Virginia. However, he felt he was missing a good division commander who was keeping him there, and he even thought about requesting that Jesse Reno be sent there to take his place. Though, if what he suspected Thomas was going to say was true, perhaps he would see Reno take over in North Carolina. "I take it he wishes to see someone else in that position?"

"You would be correct, sir. I say he has a good case, especially if he continues to move away from North Carolina."

"You were thinking of sending him to southern Georgia, correct Sebastian?" Jacob spoke up, Sebastian noticing that both Roberts looked a bit discomforted at Jacob's informality with the use of Sebastian's given name. "Aye, Jacob, that is what I have been thinking. He has plenty of infantry, and with Buford's rested cavalry, he should be able to make good headway against whatever the Rebs try to put in his way. Also, we can see if Reynold's in Florida can push up to support as they advance."

"If that is the case, sir, what is your plan for Slocum if you plan to send him against Charleston and Savannah?" Thomas asked now.

"Ideal I would want him to move up to support Schofield as he advances on Atlanta. He is in a good position, all ready to take over from Meade and advance on Augusta, and has the largest of our armies. However, there is the case of shifting the Army of the Potomac to knock out Charleston and Savannah quickly and see us able to concentrate our forces on two advances instead of three. Would also give the President a hell of a victory going into the election season."

Sebastian saw Robert Lincoln smile as he mentioned the last part, the young man speaking up. "Wouldn't that take a lot to shift supplies and the troops, sir? Though I guess they could march there, that might tire out the men early."

"It would be a huge undertaking, yes. Also, that area isn't as built up as the other regions we are targeting, though Henry, General Slocum, has established forward depots. Our engineers are hard at work rebuilding and building railways."

"I am not sure it is worth the effort, sir," Jacob said. We can do it, but it would be a lot throughout the winter and into the spring, and I think you are correct in that our forces seem to be in a good position where they are now to continue their advancements."

"Something to think about. We should also consider a Department of South Carolina, maybe Florida." Sebastian suggested, taking a moment to think of the sandwich he had been eating. "Could put Gillmore in command in South Carolina, having been there for some time and overseeing the siege at Charleston. If you could, Thomas, work with the War Department and General Kearny and see if they have any suggestions, it would look good if we play ball with them."

"Of course, sir, I'll arrange a meeting with General Hallack after this meeting. Another suggestion, sir, is to move down General Wallace from West Virginia. He might do well in a more active department; he has proven himself quite effective in the last several months."

Sebastian agreed. Lew Wallace had effectively supported Howard as he pushed into southwestern Virginia and western North Carolina while clamping down on partisan activity within his Department. Perhaps putting him in North or South Carolina would be a good idea. It was estimated that about three thousand or so partisans were still active between the two states, maybe a bit more depending on the season. This was one of the main reasons why Sebastian kept a healthy garrison within North Carolina. "Possibly, he knows how to fight partisans, which we will need more as we advance. You know, gentlemen, I have to say I much more enjoy commanding a single army, so much simpler than commanding the whole effort along this avenue of advance."

Sebastian shook his head as the others chuckled, taking a drink of water before musing more. "What's Colonel Sharpe have for us, Thomas? I'll do some more thinking on the Departments, and we can discuss them later."

Thomas nodded and pulled out his notepad and another telegram. "Sir Colonel Sharpe reports that they have confirmed A.P. Hill's and JEB Stuart's death; several captured newspapers reported it. He also states that General Jackson now commands a new Army of the East, combining the Armies of the Carolinas and Virginia. Hardee has been moved to command the Department of the Carolinas and Eastern Georgia, though he believes that Jackson is directly answering to General Lee. Also, Bragg is now commanding the Department of Florida and southern Georgia. Lastly, he doesn't have an overview of enemy numbers yet but should have them within a week or two after speaking with Colonel Babcock."

"Guess they are trying to shower up their organization to hold us back. Taking Hardee out of the field is interesting. I consider him more astute than Jackson, but that might be because we have been fighting him more than Jackson."

"Seems Jackson still has Lee's confidence," Jacob said, "think we might see him retake the field?"

Sebastian rubbed the back of his neck as he straightened in his chair. "Unknown, but I wouldn't put it past him, especially as we get closer to Atlanta. This coming fight isn't easy, gentlemen, but it is one we do believe we will win." Sebastian glanced at those with him as he pulled out his pocket watch to check the time. "Thomas, let's set that meeting sooner than later; I am sure General Kearny and Secretary Stanton will want an update soon. I am headed home to check in on Ann Marie and the kids; we can also discuss the departmental changes we want to present."

With that, the lunch broke up, and Sebastian made his way home, intending to spend as much time as he had with his family before returning to the South and hopefully seeing the end of the war.

Well, sickness got me again, but I worked through it, and we have an update! Hopefully, it isn't too mandatory, but brain fog does weird things to one! Anyways, here is an inside look into some of the politics around Washington and within the county. Also, there are some changes to consider for going forward with the war. I hope you all enjoy it!

How should the main Armies of the Military Division be deployed?

• [] The Army of the Potomac should be sent on the main attack towards Atlanta, the Army of the Roanoke should be sent into southern Georgia, and the Army of the Cape Fear should head for Charleston and Savannah.
  • [] The Army of the Roanoke should be sent on the main attack towards Atlanta, the Army of the Potomac should be sent into southern Georgia, and the Army of the Cape Fear should head for Charleston and Savannah.
  • [] The Army of the Cape Fear should be sent on the main attack towards Atlanta, the Army of the Potomac should be sent into southern Georgia, and the Army of the Roanoke should head for Charleston and Savannah.
  • [] The Army of the Roanoke should be sent on the main attack towards Atlanta, the Army of the Cape Fear should be sent into southern Georgia, and the Army of the Potomac should head for Charleston and Savannah.
Should General Meade be replaced as commander of the Department of North Carolina?
  • [] Yes, he will be far too busy managing his campaign to be able to direct the Department behind the lines.
    • [] Place Major General Jesse Reno in command (Former Army of Potomac commander)
    • [] Place Major General Quincy Adams Gilmore in command (Department of the South Commander)
    • [] Place Major General Lewis "Lew" Wallace in command (Department of West Virginia Commander)
    • [] Place Major General John Reynolds in command (District of Florida Commander)
    • [] Place Major General Edward R.S. Canby in command (Commander VIII Corps in Western North Carolina]
    • [] Place Major General Carl Schurz in command (Commander XI Corps in South Carolina)
    • [] Place Major General David B. Birney in command (Former III Corps Division/Corps Commander)
    • [] Place Major General Napoleon J.T. Dana in command (Division commander in the XXIV Corps/AoTP)
  • [] No, the command situation is good right now; having him there is good for helping combat the partisans and supply his army.
Should we organize the Department of South Carolina to help with command and logistical support there?
  • [] Yes, this will ease our burden of command and give us a better organization in the region.
    • [] Place Major General Jesse Reno in command (Former Army of Potomac commander)
    • [] Place Major General Quincy Adams Gilmore in command (Department of the South Commander)
    • [] Place Major General Lewis "Lew" Wallace in command (Department of West Virginia Commander)
    • [] Place Major General John Reynolds in command (District of Florida Commander)
    • [] Place Major General Edward R.S. Canby in command (Commander VIII Corps in Western North Carolina]
    • [] Place Major General Carl Schurz in command (Commander XI Corps in South Carolina)
    • [] Place Major General David B. Birney in command (Former III Corps Division/Corps Commander)
    • [] Place Major General Napoleon J.T. Dana in command (Division commander in the XXIV Corps/AoTP)
  • [] No, we already have the Department of the South; there is no need to change it now.
Should we organize the Department of Florida to help with command and logistical support there?
  • [] Yes, this will ease our burden of command and give us a better organization in the region.
  • [] No, we already have the Department of the South; there is no need to change it now.
Should Sebastian press for the reforms, Weiss is asking for regarding control of the Wagons and ambulances for the Medical Corps?
  • [] Yes, it will continue to help the men under our command help save lives and allow them to receive the help they need a lot quicker.
  • [] No, we have a lot on our plate right now, and the timing is not suitable for pushing for even more reforms.
Where does Sebastian line up with his views on Slavery and Reconstruction?
  • [] He considers himself to be more of a Conservative Republican and that Slavery should be abolished and the former slaves given basic protections under the Constitution, as well as supporting the President's 10% Plan and being more lenient on the Confederacy come the post-war.
  • [] He considers himself to be more of a Radical Republic and that Slavery should be abolished and the former slaves should be given all the rights as those of White men and support the Radical 50% Plan for the Confederacy post war.
  • [] He considers himself a mix, supporting that Slavery should be completely abolished and given the same rights as White men and supporting the 10% Plan.
  • [] He considers himself a mix, supporting Slavery should be abolished entirely and the former slaves given fundamental rights while supporting the 50% Plan.
  • [] Decide to hold of on saying just what his views are at this time.
Should Sebastian consider meeting with Salmon Chase to discuss his "bid" for the presidency?
  • [] Yes, if anything, we can at least hear what he has to say.
  • [] No, we fully support President Lincoln, and it could get out to the press we are meeting with Chase.

"Rat bastard is what he is." Sprague pipped up, Sebastian spotting anger rising. "Man tries to sell out the Union and has the gall to call you out? Varment."
I agree with the fine gentleman from Rhode Island. Why, I'm tempted to throw down my glove at that knave Butler.

discussing how the Negro troops were fairing under his command, ably assisted by one Brigadier General Robert Gold Shaw
May they live to see better futures for themselves.

In Florida, Bragg and Anderson were pushed back from the outskirts of Jacksonville as John Reynolds arrived on the 24th. Two days later, Reynolds advanced most of his command to retake Baldwin and advanced to the St. Mary's River again. Reynolds would write about the bravery of the colored troops under his command, including the 8th and 35th United States Colored Regiments.
The moment Hunter is removed from command, actual progress is made. I see nothing extraordinary about this. :p

"So I take it you want me to talk to the War Department and get that changed? Not exactly an easy task, Emil."
War Department when Sebatian asks for more concessions once again:

View: https://youtu.be/KOaeDHeJ80I?si=ixXZkDukbeCrakl5

Sir Colonel Sharpe reports that they have confirmed A.P. Hill's and JEB Stuart's death;
Yet another blow to the Confederate cause. A.P. Hill was a competent corps commander, but J.E.B. was the quintessential Confederate cavalry commander besides Hampton.

[] Decide to hold of on saying just what his views are at this time.
Keep them guessing!

[] No, we fully support President Lincoln, and it could get out to the press we are meeting with Chase.
We absolutely do not want a scandal like this getting out. Focus on the war, and once Lincoln is in office with his second term, then we can discuss the presidency.

Fighting also didn't stop, even though Sebastian had given a general order for his forces to halt their advancement. On November 21st, elements of the X and XI Corps outside Charleston were withdrawn and sent on an expedition to raid the railway link between Savannah and Charleston under Francis C. Barlow. Outside of Grahamville, South Carolina, the Battle of Honey Hill was indecisive. Still, it was telling that most forces encountered were militia and not regular Confederate army, with intelligence later confirming that the Confederates were juggling resources as elements of Longstreets were confirmed to have arrived in Charleston several days later.
This is important information - there isn't going to be a Confederate attack coming from this direction. Strategically, this alleviates much of my concern about leaving Charleston on our flank in exchange for a more focused attack elsewhere.
"Something to think about. We should also consider a Department of South Carolina, maybe Florida." Sebastian suggested, taking a moment to think of the sandwich he had been eating. "Could put Gillmore in command in South Carolina, having been there for some time and overseeing the siege at Charleston. If you could, Thomas, work with the War Department and General Kearny and see if they have any suggestions, it would look good if we play ball with them."
Also interesting hearing the suggestions for War Department heads. I'm thinking Lews for NorCal, Gillmore for SouthCal, and Reno in Florida.
"Possibly, he knows how to fight partisans, which we will need more as we advance. You know, gentlemen, I have to say I much more enjoy commanding a single army, so much simpler than commanding the whole effort along this avenue of advance."
The scale of the quest has certainly grown quite dramatically from commanding a single regiment.

Should General Meade be replaced as commander of the Department of North Carolina?
  • [] Yes, he will be far too busy managing his campaign to be able to direct the Department behind the lines.
Well at least for this should be an easy choice Reno is given he's asking for something like this after all and we know he'll do a good job at that position.

This is important information - there isn't going to be a Confederate attack coming from this direction. Strategically, this alleviates much of my concern about leaving Charleston on our flank in exchange for a more focused attack elsewhere.

Also interesting hearing the suggestions for War Department heads. I'm thinking Lews for NorCal, Gillmore for SouthCal, and Reno in Florida.

The scale of the quest has certainly grown quite dramatically from commanding a single regiment.
You can certainly say it has morphed right? LOL

Will say writing was much easier early in the quest, also I do want to get back to writing about the smaller scale one day (new quest obviously), but think I have found the groove for the more strategic parts.

[X] Plan: To Atlanta and Peace
-[X] The Army of the Potomac should be sent on the main attack towards Atlanta, the Army of the Roanoke should be sent into southern Georgia, and the Army of the Cape Fear should head for Charleston and Savannah.
-[X] Yes, he will be far too busy managing his campaign to be able to direct the Department behind the lines.
--[X] Place Major General Lewis "Lew" Wallace in command (Department of West Virginia Commander)
-[X] Yes, this will ease our burden of command and give us a better organization in the region.
--[X] Place Major General Quincy Adams Gilmore in command (Department of the South Commander)
-[X] Yes, this will ease our burden of command and give us a better organization in the region.
--[X] Place Major General Jesse Reno in command (Former Army of Potomac commander)
-[X] Yes, it will continue to help the men under our command help save lives and allow them to receive the help they need a lot quicker.
-[X] He considers himself to be more of a Conservative Republican and that Slavery should be abolished and the former slaves given basic protections under the Constitution, as well as supporting the President's 10% Plan and being more lenient on the Confederacy come the post-war.
-[X] Yes, if anything, we can at least hear what he has to say.

Keeping a basic distribution for the planned attack seems sound to me, especially since we know there won't be major Confederate resistance from Charleston. For the Departments, Lew's the vet at counter-insurgency and can handle the biggest of the states with similar challenges regarding Unionist and Secessionist violence from West Virginia, Gillmore's been in South Carolina for a while and knows the local terrain, and that leaves Reno for a trip to Florida. Finally, Yates has always gone to bat for medical reforms, and I see no reason to change that now.

Politically, we've aligned ourselves with Lincoln and the Republican Moderates fairly firmly at this point. Not pushing for full racial equality is distasteful, but a realistic understanding of how much political capital a northern occupation would have that the historical Radical Republics ignored to their detriment, given that most northerners don't consider blacks equal to whites at this time, let alone southerners. Working to prevent a prolonged, bitter, and half-finished Reconstruction will ultimately do more good and prevent a relapse into Jim Crow segregation once we pull out, even if true equality between the races will have to wait for the future - one ideally far sooner than was accomplished in real life. Finally, I'm frankly interested in seeing Chase, since I don't know much about him historically and I'm curious what his pitch to Yates is. However, we're obviously not going support the man.

Last edited:

Literally read my mind on these picks. Very much approve of the new Department heads for the states picked.

Did love the political stuff happening. Good on Grant taking the suggestion seriously on Hooker even if he does keep him. The wife again showing she's the better politician. But yeah the war is very close to its end. Confederates gonna fight hard but are picking from the bottom of the barrel.

[X] Plan: A Radical Peace
-[X] The Army of the Potomac should be sent on the main attack towards Atlanta, the Army of the Roanoke should be sent into southern Georgia, and the Army of the Cape Fear should head for Charleston and Savannah.
-[X] Yes, he will be far too busy managing his campaign to be able to direct the Department behind the lines.
--[X] Place Major General Lewis "Lew" Wallace in command (Department of West Virginia Commander)
--[X] Place Major General Quincy Adams Gilmore in command (Department of the South Commander)
--[X] Place Major General Jesse Reno in command (Former Army of Potomac commander)
-[X] Yes, it will continue to help the men under our command help save lives and allow them to receive the help they need a lot quicker.
-[X] He considers himself to be more of a Radical Republic and that Slavery should be abolished and the former slaves should be given all the rights as those of White men and support the Radical 50% Plan for the Confederacy post war.

Ultimately, if you want a better result that the OTL you need to push the confederates, especially the planter class harder than in OTL. I really don't see how being less aggressive would help anything.

-[X] He considers himself to be more of a Radical Republic and that Slavery should be abolished and the former slaves should be given all the rights as those of White men and support the Radical 50% Plan for the Confederacy post war.

For me I'd say that if we want to make sure Reconstruction Succeeds we don't half-assed and put half measures. We have a chance to make sure Reconstruction ensures the Black's get their Equality they deserved. It would be in poor taste for Yates to see all the evil shit the Confederate did and not fully support Equal rights. Plus the Racist will likely point at this in the future and would say that the Black's have what they want already and that they should already be greatful that the merciful Whites have given them this opportunity and should not ask for more.

Last edited:

For me I'd say that if we want to make sure Reconstruction Succeeds we don't half-assed and put half measures. We have a chance to make sure Reconstruction ensures the Black's get their Equality they deserved. It would be in poor taste for Yates to see all the evil shit the Confederate did and not fully support Equal rights. Plus the Racist will likely point at this in the future and would say that the Black's have what they want already and that they should already be greatful that the merciful Whites have given them this opportunity and should not ask for more.
100% Reconstruction will have nothing to do with the Equal rights for African Americans at all. That is up to Congress not anything in the South. Its two completely different issues. Also Yates would be completely flipping on everything you guys have selected up to now, that is something you guys should very much keep in mind.

It's just my vote and opinion I'm very sure that I'll be drowned out by other plans. I just want to voice out my opinions and my reasons if the others vote for or against the plans because of it will be no fault of you and I.

I get wanting to go Radical Republican, but according to Yates's character he would be more moderate and follow along with Lincoln.

[X] Plan: To Atlanta and Peace but Politically Mixed
-[X] He considers himself a mix, supporting that Slavery should be completely abolished and given the same rights as White men and supporting the 10% Plan.

-[X] He considers himself a mix, supporting that Slavery should be completely abolished and given the same rights as White men and supporting the 10% Plan.

I think I can get behind this

I like this.

Keep in mind, we are talking about Yates' personal convictions, not what he presents to others. Personally I think, that Yates was always against slavery and on board with full equality. That being said, the rest of the Presidential plan is well within the scope of supporting Lincoln, as we have always done.

I like this.

Keep in mind, we are talking about Yates' personal convictions, not what he presents to others. Personally I think, that Yates was always against slavery and on board with full equality. That being said, the rest of the Presidential plan is well within the scope of supporting Lincoln, as we have always done.

Actually no. This is what he will tell people he believes and what he will support. Want to be very clear on that.

Back