Xianxia Encompassing the World! (Xianxia Rec Discussion and Idea thread)

I also hope that the book deals with his girlfriend at the training facility better. She came out of nowhere and disappeared just as quickly.

I never really had the impression she was relevant.
It felt like it was an obligatory relationship to establish that Matt has been in a relationship as a setup for the future relationship.

Which I actually appreciated.
Most stories with any sort of romance involve two people who have never been in a relationship operating under the assumption that breakups never happen.

"I don't know if I want to spend the rest of my life with them..."
"They asked you out on one date."
"You're right. I do love them. We're going to be together forever!"
"..."

At least this way we know Matt can imagine a relationship ending and he isn't just going along just because she's there.

It felt like it was an obligatory relationship to establish that Matt has been in a relationship as a setup for the future relationship.
Yeah, she definitely wasn't relevant. To me, it came across as, "Don't worry, the MC is cool enough to have sex!" Especially since Grif tells Matt that his bond will be sexually attracted to him later in the same story arc.

It just felt so disconnected from everything else in the story. Was the alchemist really underpricing his plants, or was Matt just bad at harvesting the plants? Later on, he's gathering plants to sell again without any mention of his previous difficulty in selling harvested plants.
That's fair enough.

Which I actually appreciated.
Most stories with any sort of romance involve two people who have never been in a relationship operating under the assumption that breakups never happen.

"I don't know if I want to spend the rest of my life with them..."
"They asked you out on one date."
"You're right. I do love them. We're going to be together forever!"
"..."

At least this way we know Matt can imagine a relationship ending and he isn't just going along just because she's there.
Yeah, I actually really liked that. It was a casual relationship that both knew wouldn't last, but a relationship doesn't have to be for eternity to be worthwhile, especially if both agree on that.

It also helped establish the time skip there. Shows that Matt had been doing stuff during it. I felt that was actually a big problem with the current timeskipping, where it feels a lot less like they're actually doing stuff.

Yeah, she definitely wasn't relevant. To me, it came across as, "Don't worry, the MC is cool enough to have sex!" Especially since Grif tells Matt that his bond will be sexually attracted to him later in the same story arc.
Yeaaaah... the sexually attracted bond thing wasn't such a great thing. Actually a big reason why it took me so long to pick the story, because that just smacks of self-indulgent wank. I get the feeling that's gonna get soft-retconed.

That said, I am actually reasonably confident the author is going to handle it well. They've done a pretty good job where relationships are concerned so far. And I really appreciate that you have the characters in an actual relationship fairly early (instead of eternal will they won't they) and then focus on the interesting complications that come from that.

Yeaaaah... the sexually attracted bond thing wasn't such a great thing. Actually a big reason why it took me so long to pick the story, because that just smacks of self-indulgent wank. I get the feeling that's gonna get soft-retconed.

That said, I am actually reasonably confident the author is going to handle it well. They've done a pretty good job where relationships are concerned so far. And I really appreciate that you have the characters in an actual relationship fairly early (instead of eternal will they won't they) and then focus on the interesting complications that come from that.
I think I only really got invested in the story midway during the training planet arc. Before then, I was looking for a reason to either drop it or care about it. I'm hoping that the author drastically revamps the beginning story arc whenever they publish the first book.

The author has gotten a LOT better at dealing with relationships and characters in general. Even minor characters like that guild member from the last chapter are fleshed out pretty well. He's probably never going to show up again, but he gives us a good look at how a guild works, how generous the Empire is, and what a big deal the rift is.

In contrast, Matt's first girlfriend barely has an impact. The author could have shown us how Matt managed to overcome his social issues enough to get a girlfriend, how a nonsponsored team works compared to a sponsored team like Melinda's, a bit about how her upbringing in a rich family affected her behaviors as set up for Matt to see similarities and differences with Liz's behavior. I think the author would have handled things a lot differently if they were writing those scenes now so I'm hoping that Matt and Jasmine's relationship is one of the author's focuses for editing the first book.

Just gonna point out that CutieQi Marks are very similar to a Dao. You could probably build a MLP cross based off that.

Just gonna point out that CutieQi Marks are very similar to a Dao. You could probably build a MLP cross based off that.
"After a thousand years of struggle I have ascended to a world so rich in Qi even the simplest of creature is enlightened in its Dao. Now I shall reign as a god amongst gods!"

"Hi, welcome to Equestria. Please hold still while we hit you with this friendship laser."

"Damn it!"

Light & Shadow completing the Path so quickly after Duke Waters is causing a war because the other Powers are afraid that the Empire is getting a lot more powerful than anyone else. Anyone who Tiers up too quickly is asked to leave the Path to avoid the attention from the other Powers. If the Empire manages to win the war, then any restrictions on the number of people completing the Path will probably be removed because there's nothing the other Powers can do about it, but I think the Emperor is trying to manage things as carefully as possible beforehand.

I found the section I was thinking of in Chapter 110:

I read that as Melinda and her team being asked to leave because the Emperor sent Harvest Moon to help Melinda.

People being asked to leave is a politics thing rather than a rule. The other powers are worried because the Empire is simply doing so well at cultivating powerhouses, and it's making them too big of a threat. There's not a rule there because no one else can do it. If multiple powers did it at once it wouldn't be near as big a deal because the balance of power would remain.

Note that 'just tier slower,' is an answer, Duke Waters was asked to do that for a bit. And note the ones he's talking about encouraging to step off are seekers, ie those who can potentially clear without being as ungodly strong. More a 'you're being asked to end it because it might not work out for you as a target.'

It's not the Harvest Moon thing- he doesn't break the rules any more than Luna. It's that the Emperor plans to interfere at that point to keep the target on them smaller, in part because he doesn't think they even can clear and in part because they're safer with a lower profile- even if they clear they're no Matt and Liz.

This is a recurring issue with Path of Ascension. It has a large number of moving parts which the author obviously has no bloody idea what they are doing with those parts.
I think Path would also be better if the author keep all the ancient high level characters off screen. Matt should only be seeing the results of their actions several steps removed from the decision makers. I just find myself less and less interested in these characters the more page time they get. They are too simplistic, too nice. Too unbelievable as old politicians and power brokers. Liz's parents in particular are annoyingly 'quirky' in a way that just drains any sense of grandeur from any high tier interactions they are involved with.

Honestly, Liz is absolutely right in wanting to get away from them, not to get out from their shadow but because they're embarrassing cretins.

"After a thousand years of struggle I have ascended to a world so rich in Qi even the simplest of creature is enlightened in its Dao. Now I shall reign as a god amongst gods!"

"Hi, welcome to Equestria. Please hold still while we hit you with this friendship laser."

"Damn it!"

Or even worse:

"Welcome to Equestria! In order to cultivate further, you must learn to cultivate friendship rather than power!"

"…what is this 'friendship' of which you speak? Who do I have to kill to get it?"

"Why do all the ascenders say that?"

Last edited:

"Damn it!"
Or even worse:

"Welcome to Equestria! In order to cultivate further, you must learn to cultivate friendship rather than power!"

"…what is this 'friendship' of which you speak? Who do I have to kill to get it?"

"Why do all the ascenders say that?"

That could actually be an interesting story!
And also a really interesting reason as to why the truly top-notch Cultivators aren't arrogant assholes that have long since mastered the art of jackassery out of sheer, toxic masculinity/feminity/power-fantasying.
Namely, that such folk who do manage to ascend either get utterly crushed by Equestria's protectors, or just stall so completely in their progress that they pretty much stay at the bottom of the totem pole for the rest of eternity.
Meanwhile, those who aren't shallow, idiotic morons incapable of realising that there's more to life than endlessly, mindlessly gathering power and killing all who stand in their way, typically start making their way up the ladder (even if it's at a rate of one rung every six or so lifetimes).

It also reminds me of a number of cultivation systems I'm trying to piece together, as inspired by characters from the show.

Last edited:
An insert works, but I would like to see a merge of the settings. So MLP, but with more Xianxia tropes. All the same characters & enemies, but now with more glorious violence.
Applejack: The [Honest Truth] is that my hooves can break your bones.
Generosity: May this humble senior [Generously] share pointers with her honored junior.

Heh. Pointers have a whole new meaning when you got a horn.

An insert works, but I would like to see a merge of the settings. So MLP, but with more Xianxia tropes. All the same characters & enemies, but now with more glorious violence.
Applejack: The [Honest Truth] is that my hooves can break your bones.
Generosity: May this humble senior [Generously] share pointers with her honored junior.

Heh. Pointers have a whole new meaning when you got a horn.

I'd genuinely be willing to read that. And again, you just reminded me of one of the MLP:FIM (Gen 4) Cultivation Methods I'm trying to generate.

And also a really interesting reason as to why the truly top-notch Cultivators aren't arrogant assholes that have long since mastered the art of jackassery out of sheer, toxic masculinity/feminity/power-fantasying.
Honestly the simplest explanation for this is one I came across in a WN I started reading pretty recently, and it's just the straightforward "if you're enough of a murderous/annoying jackass for long enough, everyone is going to gang up and kill you". It was specifically put forward as the reason why "demonic" cultivators in the setting usually keep things fairly low-key and don't go full murderhobo, since pasting cities tends to get the righteous cultivators after you for obvious reasons and other demonic cultivators after you because it makes life harder for them.

I think that the best title translation for that'un is "The Steward Demonic Emperor". It's honestly pretty good, aside from occasional spurts of mild sexism (at least by CN webnovel standards...). I think I first read a bit of it back when only MTL was available and it seemed pretty crappy, but there's a real (or at least competent MTL user) translation floating around now and it turns out that there's a lot of humor that wasn't coming across.

It's a reincarnation-ish type that's handled in a decently interesting way. Fairly high-level demonic cultivator gets betrayed by his only disciple, a bunch of other high-end cultivators trap him to try to steal a thingy, he suicide-bombs them and relies on a secret art that lets his lingering angst possess willing recipients and reconstruct his soul in their body. He wakes up in the body of a bottom-rung servant of a bottom-rung clan all the way down in the mortal world. Fairly standard so far.

It avoids a lot of the usual warning flags: it's just straight up the evil old bastard in the kid's body, no hidden grandpa, no cursed possession, no secret treasure, no young man protagonist or "cheat item" at all, all he's got is his memories of the cultivation methods he knew. That's already a rarity. Without spoiling too much of the plot, he discovers that the clan his new body used to belong to is in the middle of being massacred by their local rivals. He initially intends to just leave, but realizes that when the dead kid made the deal for his body, he was tricky with his wording and basically tricked the protagonist into ensuring the safety of the surviving children of their murdered clan head, the imperative being strong enough that refusing to follow through would cause him to develop a heart demon (which is actually treated seriously -- it's also later explained that demonic cultivators are markedly more vulnerable to that and other sorts of deviations, as their methods tend to be both ethically dubious and prone to taking shortcuts involving lots of self-harm).

What's really miraculous is that the main character not only stays consistent in his characterization rather than devolving into an audience insert, but that he experiences real character development. It's an almost perfect inversion of the usual path: he becomes less of an abhorrent philandering sociopath as the story goes on and instead starts to develop real relationships and display human emotions.

Maybe the two could be combined? As in, those who are as bad as we typically talk about, but still competent (even if barely so due to selection pressures) to keep it outwardly hidden, eventually manage to ascend. At that point they either start letting their mask slip, resulting in them being stomped into the ground by the local defenders, or (once again) stall completely with no way forward.

So the way it's depicted in most Xianxia, is that there might be some "righteous" cultivators willing to impose their personal morality on everyone around them, but the world is so big that most demonic cultivators can easily get away with wiping out a kingdom or two and nobody will notice for a few decades.

So the trick would be being able to find the guilty party accurately.

If you have some "karmic taint" that proves you're evil, then most authors will make it wildly inaccurate so they can have their edgelord MC with a persecution complex running from everyone.
A genuinely useful "detect evil" spell would have profound effects on world building.

If you have higher realm cultivators who can automatically find the truth, then they are corrupt and anybody on their good side can get away with murder.

If you have a professional investigation division then the story always seems to devolve to "fuck the police" and "FREEEEEDOOOOMMM!!" narrative.

All of those standard devices are spot-on for why I like the notion of demonic cultivation not being so narrowly pigeonholed as "murders people to advance". It makes a lot of sense for it to encompass all the various sorts of things that have a high probability of killing or crippling a cultivator, but which allow for much more rapid advancement if they don't. As you said, when it is just "murder people to advance faster", it's invariably just a device for an edgy protagonist to speedrun their cultivation with no actual downsides.

I think I first read a bit of it back when only MTL was available and it seemed pretty crappy, but there's a real (or at least competent MTL user) translation floating around now and it turns out that there's a lot of humor that wasn't coming across.
Okay. I've tried to look for this thing, and I've found something like three different translations, and they're all pretty bad. I'm interested. I just can't get past the translation. Do you have a suggestion of where to find the comparatively high-quality version that you're talking about?

Edit: Okay. I've actually found the tolerable translation, at "Magic Emperor en" on webnovel.com. Unfortunately, I have no idea whether that's an appropriate place to read, or whether it was stolen from somewhere else.

Edit edit: follow-on to the last: that translation is *quite* good... up through Chapter 62. Chapter 63 is... problematic.

Edit edit edti: Yeah... this one is worth reading up through chapter 62, but not after.

Last edited:
Kinda' curious... anyone ran into a work that actually treats the whole "anything can cultivate" concept with the sort of seriousness deserved for effectively saying everything around folks are functionally children?

It's been running in my head for a bit, some sort of cultivation setting where the local energy form can trivially self-sustain and eating and most forms of tool use and whatnot are basically huge taboos, due to people acknowledging that eating pre-sophont lifeforms is what amounts to very literal baby eating and most material working effectively mutilating a child. There'd probably be some way to make unthinking material somehow or another, but... also maybe not.

I keep getting this half-formed idea of a reincarnator or something showing up and asking for a meal or shoes or something and suddenly the story/that incarnation becomes much, much shorter :V

everything around folks are functionally children?

In most cases there will be some limit where "after 1000 years of soaking up moonlight the snake will be able to take the form of a human."

Factoring in that most cultivators don't make it a 1000 years, and the "law of the jungle" that makes them murder people constantly, and the fact that the giant snake monster is trying to eat them, and they don't spend much time worrying abut the morality.

As a side note, would they be children?
After all, that chicken might not be as intelligent as a human, but they are as intelligent as an adult chicken, and they have grandchildren.
Isn't it kind of speciest to regard them as a child simply because they aren't human?

Isn't it kind of speciest to regard them as a child simply because they aren't human?
Human or not doesn't have much to do with it, though? It's just as relevant for stuff that uplifts through punch magic without taking a human form. Sub-sophont intelligences (including plants, random rock formations, etc.) in cultivation systems where it's relevant are pre-mature entities, or something to that effect; regardless as to if they can breed or not, it's sometimes literally not their final form.

If you have a better term for pre-human level intelligence in relation to things that absolutely can, and will, given the time, become such, I'm here for it, though.

Any case, I'm entirely aware of the excuses sometimes trotted out by cultivators for their babyeating, I'm just wondering if there's a work of note out there where the cultivators... don't.

Human or not doesn't have much to do with it, though? It's just as relevant for stuff that uplifts through punch magic without taking a human form. Sub-sophont intelligences (including plants, random rock formations, etc.) in cultivation systems where it's relevant are pre-mature entities, or something to that effect; regardless as to if they can breed or not, it's sometimes literally not their final form.

If you have a better term for pre-human level intelligence in relation to things that absolutely can, and will, given the time, become such, I'm here for it, though.

Any case, I'm entirely aware of the excuses sometimes trotted out by cultivators for their babyeating, I'm just wondering if there's a work of note out there where the cultivators... don't.
I'm not aware of any. It would mean a lot of world building and philosophical wrangling, and run pretty counter to what people actually come for to the genre. Maybe there is something out there, but personally it feels more like something I'd see in the more philosophical/weird sci-fi.

Also, it's more complicated than just 'Don't change anything, that'll kill a potential future being'. First, anything you make could also become something, that's actually a really common motive. Maybe it gains sapience faster, or at least becomes more human like? Or at least people believe that interaction does so. How do you balance that? And what happens with non-distructive interference? Like, cutting a tree into shape? Also, what happens if you take a rock and smash it into little rocks. If you take all that together, anything you do or don't kill uncountable potential sapients. Which is honestly a hard to care about (Are you worried about all the babies you're not making? No? Why would the cultivators be?). In the end, you very easily end up with "I don't know, I can't know, and so I don't care". It would take a lot of good philosophy to end up anywhere besides the standard cultivator response. Or you could setup the worldbuilding to offer a solution, but that's kind of cheating, and anyone who want to read that kind of story won't appreciate ducking the question.

Hmm, if you want to think about it further, the best place to start would probably be the philosophical arguments over vegetariansism/veganism, plus non-religious 'no contraceptive' positions IRL, because that's a pretty closely related. Also, any such story will almost inevitabley make an argument in favor of one of those positions. Which on the flip side means, trying to find a story that tries to make such arguments might be one approach to get what you want to see, though it probably won't be Xianxia.

Back