Welcome to the Family (Sidekick Quest)

Voting is open
[X] Your kind of music.

Not too 'deep', but it would distract Plumage from the whole 'impending sense of doom' thing.

Cardinal: "This is going to be difficult. I don't know how to casual conversation!"

Just remember, keeping her calm is now part of the mission too.

Closing the vote. "Your first mission" edges it out.

Sorry for the posting delay. It's like, your boss leaves the country to go get married or something, and suddenly people decide to start calling you directly. Asking you questions! And for some reason they won't accept "i don't know anything about that, I kind of farted my way through law school tbh" as a legitimate answer. Completely ridiculous.
Scheduled vote count started by Gally on Aug 31, 2021 at 3:02 PM, finished with 205 posts and 35 votes.

20k Leagues IV
[x] Your first mission

The year is 2006. In thirteen hours you will be boarding a jet bound for Honolulu. But for now, you dash across the New York city rooftops, in costume for the very first time. You skid to a stop just before tumbling off the edge of the building and spread your arms wide, taking a moment to drink in the familiar, jagged skyline.

"Why Honolulu?" Plumage asks. She stands beside you, dressed in one of her many costumes – this one yellow and frilly, with an elaborate headpiece designed to mimic peacock feathers.

"It was supposed to be safer." You line up a shot with your grapple, hundreds of hours of practice coalescing into instinct that lets you guide the recoil rather than the other way around. The dark-tipped line sinks into a nearby building and you leap out into the air, swinging down to another rooftop closer to the ground. Plumage is there waiting for you. "Bigger Cavalry presence," you continue, reeling in your line. "Other kids...kids like me, mostly, children of Cavalry heroes trying to get into the life. Blackbird and Augur thought it would be best that I had other people around me the first time I went out."

"I sort of thought that's what Blackbird was for," Plumage said, scratching her head.

"So did I."

The silences stretches, on and on and on, well past the point of being awkward. For a moment you are back in the central cooling unit, pipes hedging you in, oppressive. The geiger counter clicks rapidly, warning you to turn back, and reluctantly, you take its advice. The further into JEFFERSON you've dived the hotter it's gotten, and you can feel sweat sliding down your skin within the diving suit. The pipes are uncomfortably hot to the touch, but you are forced to use them to maneuver through the ever tightening corridors.

"But...you're in New York," Plumage says finally.

"I didn't want my first mission to be in Honolulu," you say. The sun has vanished over the horizon and night is in full swing. Deep shadows blanket every nook and cranny of the city. The Family's city. Your city. "So, the night before, I snuck out."

"You got past Augur?" Plumage says, her voice thick with skepticism. "Sometimes I don't think I can pick my nose without her knowing."

You smile, just a fraction. "She likes to say that she let me go. That she knew how important it was to me. But...honestly, I just don't think she expected it." You take a deep breath, and though it's stale recycled air that fills your lungs, you can practically taste New York – the barest hint of fresh air choked with smog, cigarettes, and urban decay. "This was pretty much the first time I didn't do exactly what she told me to do."

"So are you just out on patrol?" Plumage asks, looking around. "Or do you have a target?"

You point across the street, towards a pair of massive, Tyrant-9 era apartment complexes. When the fascist meta-dictator had taken control of the country in 1949, he had moved the seat of government to his hometown of New York – and brought a massive influx of laborers with him, grist for the ever expanding industrial quarter. The brutalist apartment high rises were a legacy of that influx, dotting the city at irregular intervals with no concern for what was around – or even underneath – them.

Underneath them is where you direct Plumage's attention, to a dingy brick building that sits uncomfortably in the overlapping shadows of its mammoth neighbors. Two windows look out onto the street, each filled with rusted iron bars – more for effect than any practical purpose, particularly in a world where a good chunk of people can snap iron as easily as toothpicks – but it gets the point across. Its single door is similarly barred. A neon sign flickers above the doorway, struggling listlessly against the encroaching night – PAWN.

"A string of burglaries in the area," you say, when Plumage looks back to you. "Out here, in the Spits? Nothing that unusual. But I was interested because there was a common denominator. Consistent reports of the culprit. Young. Expressing meta-powers. It wasn't hard to notice a pattern in the crimes, so I mapped out easy sources of cash and valuables in the area and came here."

"And you found him?" Plumage asks. "That's impressive."

"I found her," you correct her. "And it was luck more than anything I did." The modesty comes easy, but you can't quite keep the self-satisfied smile out of your voice. "There." You point again, drawing Plumage's eye towards a dark figure moving down the street. She steps into a streetlight and is suddenly illuminated – a girl, about as old as you are now. Ratty brown hair curls out from under a rattier brown beanie. Her face is obscured by a cheap Halloween mask – a clown, though you know from reports it's different every time – and the rest of her is practically swallowed by an oversized green jacket from some army surplus. She approaches the door quickly, without hesitation. She's done this too many times now to let nerves slow her down.

Call it intuition, call it forewarning, call it good old fashioned luck – whoever is behind the counter that night locks the door. The girl tries the handle once, twice, then steps back and raises her hands, clasping them together as if praying.

When she begins to pull them apart, the space between them is filled with a thick green ooze with the consistency of watery gelatin. Some of it drips from the rest, splattering the sidewalk, but after a moment it seems to solidify. Within seconds the ooze has swelled to the size of a basketball, and when the girl extends her arm, it takes off like a cannonball, punching a hole through the door and door frame alike.

Plumage wrinkles her nose. "That stuff's kinda gross."

"She's still active, you know," you say, glancing over at her. "Viscous. You should really know her."

"I told you, I cleared out my memory for this mission," Plumage says. "I'll have everything back once we get to the surface again, now don't get distracted."

You sigh. "Well, right about now I'm feeling pretty good about myself," you admit, turning your attention back to the pawn shop. You don't hesitate a moment before leaping from the building, using the grapple to swing easily down to street level. You hit the ground at a run, reeling in your line, and -

[] Charge inside
Gain the move Punch Everyone
  • Whenever you charge into a fight without hedging your bets, you can shift your Danger up and any other label down.​
[] Get walloped
Gain the move Never Give Up, Never Surrender
  • When you take a powerful blow from someone with far greater power that you, use this move instead of the basic one. Roll +Savior. On a hit, you stand strong and choose one. On a 7-9, mark a condition. On a miss, you go down hard but leave your opponent off balance and vulnerable.​
    • You get an opportunity or opening against your attacker​
    • You rally from the hit, and it inspires the team; +1 Team​
    • You keep your attacker's attention​
{} Note that the Never Give Up, Never Surrender Move has some caveats. Because Wyatt has no powers, a lot of people qualify as having "far greater power" – but this move was meant for a more Superman/flying brick type. So it's not going to trigger every time you get hit by a meta. But I will try to be fairly generous with it.

Last edited:
We're telling this story to increase morale, not to min-max. So what's funnier and more distracting than ultra competent Cardinal falling on his face?

[X] Get walloped

[X] Get walloped

Given that Wyatt was supposed to have his first mission in Honolulu because it's safer, getting walloped as a result of heading out in New York anyway sounds about right.

[x] Charge inside

One could easily lead to another... but I see it as a fun flaw that Augur should have weaned us off long ago, yet it still finds its way into our decision making from time to time.

Besides, SV likes to overthink things. We could use an incentive to take some spur-of-the-moment actions.

Does this mean we can only shift Danger up once, or can we do multiple shifts?
Each label capped at +3 and -2. If something would happen to shift a label beyond that point, you instead mark a condition.

Using the Punch Everything move is optional, even when you charge into a fight without hedging your bets. So if you are already at +3, I won't force a condition on you because of a choice you make to leap into a fight.
Any time we charge in without something to tip the odds in our favor, such as cutting the lights or tossing in a flashbang, danger goes up one. It'll still be a choice, and rarely one thats not obvious.
Those could certainly count but it is also more general, rash action - it's diving into the fray when you could sit back and observe, it's taking a risky bet, it's going all in on hitting them until they stop moving. It's situation dependent - when I offer choices, I'll note affirmatively when it would proc.

Like @Nevill said, it encourages spur of the moment action - the moves in Masks often revolve around incentivizing a certain playstyle. Never Give Up, Never Surrender rewards you for being protective and self-sacrificing. Punch Everything rewards you for being impulsive and trigger happy. In doing so, they help craft the character you want to play. Just as the last choice allowed you to choose between someone who used the authority of the Family vs. deception as a tool in social combat.

Each label capped at +3 and -2. If something would happen to shift a label beyond that point, you instead mark a condition.

Using the Punch Everything move is optional, even when you charge into a fight without hedging your bets. So if you are already at +3, I won't force a condition on you because of a choice you make to leap into a fight.

Nice. Good to know there are limits and that conditions aren't just going to pop up every choice we make that would raise a stat if it's maxed.

"I told you, I cleared out my memory for this mission," Plumage says. "I'll have everything back once we get to the surface again, now don't get distracted."
Interesting way of having a reason to explain 'as-you-already-know' things to us the readers. Nicely done!

[X] Get walloped
"I acted once on my own... It didn't quite work out."

[x] Charge inside

I think this fits the character in the story well. I don't know that it fits as well now, but as Nevill pointed out, it could be a fun little flaw over that pops up occasionally. Of course considering Wyatt's lack of Meta powers it could just be something he falls back on when he doesn't think he has time to sit back and observe.

I actually like "Never Give Up Never Surrender" better cause I kind of like how the stubbornness fits his character. Even with tools and training it takes a lot of will to be willing to constantly go out and fight those with meta powers. It also fits the situation just as well. On the other hand I don't know if mechanically it fits well. It'll definitely trigger a lot, but I don't know that seeing Wyatt get knocked down almost every time he takes a hit is all that interesting from a story perspective even if it does knock the enemy off balance. The bright side is he'll level up quicker.

Last edited:
ne could easily lead to another... but I see it as a fun flaw that Augur should have weaned us off long ago, yet it still finds its way into our decision making from time to time.

Besides, SV likes to overthink things. We could use an incentive to take some spur-of-the-moment actions.
I think this fits the character in the story well. I don't know that it fits as well now, but as Nevill pointed out, it could be a fun little flaw over that pops up occasionally. Of course considering Wyatt's lack of Meta powers it could just be something he falls back on when he doesn't think he has time to sit back and observe.
I mean, there's a difference between taking on a much more difficult challenge than expected and simply rushing in, with no plan except for violence. The first is over-confidence and arrogance. The second is just stupidity and recklessness.

I dunno, I just feel like this flaw is too diametrically opposed to Wyatt's character for it to make sense. This type of behavior is exactly why we didn't respect Dissent after we teamed up with her, and it feels more than a little hypocritical for it to be Wyatt's "Flaw".

Wyatt's stubbornness is already a trait that's been showcased in the narrative, and we've seemed some of the repercussions of it already, his determination to becoming Oriole is simultaneously restricting his behavior while also distancing him from the teammates he's "competing" with. So I feel like it just makes sense for Wyatt to bite of more than he can chew as he continues to fight even when it should be smarter to retreat and regroup, playing into his hubris of being Blackbird's successor, instead of charging in blindly without a plan.

I mean, there's a difference between taking on a much more difficult challenge than expected and simply rushing in, with no plan except for violence. The first is over-confidence and arrogance. The second is just stupidity and recklessness.
That's a generalisation. There are also situations that might require an immediate response, and would not be improved by excessive planning.

We are not making it Wyatt's MO. It's just something that crops up from time to time and that Wyatt learned to make use of. When you don't know what else to do, go all in and don't look back until you either fall or make it work out.

[X] Get walloped

Rereading the post, this isn't going to trigger every time we fight a meta which lowers my concern about it. We are frankly more likely to fail these rolls and going down hard in almost every fight doesn't sound interesting, but it does provide some advantages in failing that offset the going down when we're with a team. I still don't know that it's ideal because it doesn't really fit the stats of our character.
I don't really have an issue with "Punch Everyone", it could be a fun little flaw that pops up occasionally when under stress or angry. I don't think it's a move we'd use often which is why I don't think it's that out of character. It's something that probably happened more when Wyatt was younger and that he's mostly grown out of, but pops up occasionally when he thinks he needs to act quickly or when he's off balance mentally like when Dissent was able to provoke him in the first arc.

Voting is open
Back