This Is Your Only Purpose [Destiny] [Alt!Power]

Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

Synopsis: A girl wakes up amid the ruins of humanity, and needs to find her way through the landmines of the past. Guardians and Risen are not who they used to be. They are reborn in the Light. But consequences still linger.

Crossover info: This is a post-collapse Destiny/Worm cross, before the City and after Gold Morning. In Destiny, small machines called Ghosts resurrect chosen members of humanity who fulfilled certain requirements. Humanity was attacked by an overwhelming nebulous threat and has fallen into ruin, with scavengers and those willing to take advantage of suffering on all sides, human and alien alike.

Those who are resurrected have no memory of who they were, although they may experience fragmented glimpses through dreams and death.

Also Destiny is an isekai fight me
Last edited:
Existence Is the Struggle to Exist

Existence Is the Struggle to Exist

The girl didn't have time to remember. She followed the white light, a tiny bobbing drone pushing onward as she struggled to keep up. There was no room for thought, only the stubborn desire to keep moving as her body grew numb. It hurt, at first; a searing, jolting pain which turned into a deadened, creeping sensation, the edge of it a pulsing warning.

Eventually, her limbs gave out. She fell, trying to push onward, drag herself forward to no avail. It felt warm near the end, dozing off into the comfortable realization she was about to die.

The shock hit her. Warmth surged, sleet slapped against her face in tiny needles, as if to make an argument against it. The first breath was pain, freezing air burning her lungs, a fit of coughing as she clawed through snow. The drone was waiting for her. There was no other option. She followed, through howling wind and the freezing dark.

Eventually, inevitably, she fell. Her legs refused to work and she stumbled, hitting the snow.

And each time she fell, she got up a little faster. Her arm shielding her face, her head kept low. Shorter breaths.

The girl kept moving, falling, rising, moving. It settled into a macabre rhythm of instinct derived from experience, giving it her all, failing, finding what worked and did not. The snow made all movement a slog as she sank into it. Slow and painfully steady. She followed the drone.

A figure in the dark. A silhouette that almost appeared human. The drone hovered by it. Maybe it was. The girl pushed onward, wading through snow. She fell. She crawled, pushing herself up in an awkward sprawling lumber, her limbs refusing to act as she wanted.

The figure grew larger. It reached for her, a cold grip wrapping around her wrist and pulling her to her feet. It yelled something in her face, but the girl couldn't hear over the howling of the wind.

The girl jerked up off the ground, ready to move, bracing herself--but there was no sleet, no snow. Only warmth. Smoke and a fire in front of her, a bubbling pot hanging over it. Furs as blankets on top of her. The girl sloughed them off, shivering at the wind before looking at her surroundings. Trees surrounded them, at least as far as she could see in the dark. A forest.

"We're safe for now," said a voice by her shoulder. A voice directly into her ear.

The girl jerked back, looking to her side. A drone hovered there, a white boxy exterior surrounding it, shifting parts containing a silver sphere and a single blue eye. It glanced back and forth, at the forest around them, then back to her.

"You're the one who brought me back," said the girl. It sounded more like an accusation than a question, harsher than she'd intended. "Sorry. Didn't mean it like that." Her tongue felt thick in her mouth, words an effort to get out.

"No, you've been through a lot," said the drone. It floated around her, inspecting. "I'm sorry. Yes. I did bring you back. That storm never lets up. Inclement weather that started a long time ago. I didn't want to lose your body to a crevasse once I'd found it. Another one of us responded to my distress call, came to help."

"Is this some rescue operation?" the girl asked. Words came easier the more she talked. She tried to pull details, think of how she'd gotten into the situation, what she'd been doing. Nothing came. Vague feelings and sensations. No specifics. "Where are we? What's happened?"

"Sort of," said the drone. "You're the only one I can rescue." The white boxy pieces on it fluttered outward, then inward. "We're on Earth. A lot has happened. Hard to narrow down. You've been dead a long time."

The girl took the words in. "Am I the only one you can rescue? Bring back from the dead?"

"Only the right person," said the ghost, rolling through the air. "You're her. I knew it as soon as I saw you."

"How many times?" the girl asked.

"As long as I'm here, I'll bring you back," the ghost promised. "I won't let you down."

The girl didn't respond right away.

"The Traveler chose you for a reason. You must have been a great hero in your previous life," the ghost said. Insisted.

"What are you?" asked the girl.

"A ghost," said the drone proudly, almost rehearsed. "I'm your ghost. Created by the Traveler to find the worthy and raise them to defend humanity."

The girl took the words in, looking into the fire.

"The Traveler sacrificed herself," said the ghost. "She made a choice to fight against the Darkness. To make a change. In doing so, she gave life to the ghosts. Us. So where she could no longer help, the ghosts and people like you could."

There was a particular inflection to the word Darkness, as if it was real and tangible, an entity to fight. "Who was she? The Traveler."

"A giant white ball," called a voice from the trees. A cloaked figure stepped in, setting down a bundle of kindling by the fire. She raised a hand in greeting, then poked at the pot, tossed another twig into the flames, then sat down, back against a tree. "Came out of nowhere. Terraformed planets. Caused a Golden age. People lived longer, huge advancements in science. And now, this." The cloaked figure made a wide gesture with open hands, indicating the area around her. "Must've been nice."

"She's not wrong," the ghost said, sounding a bit tetchy. "But that can change. We can change it."

The cloaked figure pulled down her hood, revealing a woman with dark skin and brown eyes. "You're unlucky, you got an optimistic one," she said. "She's a tattletale, too."

The ghost's casing flared outward, outraged. "I am not. I merely brought pertinent information to those who could best use it, when I didn't have a risen to help."

"See?" said the woman, leaning back, tugging her gloves off.

The girl just watched. It was more information to take in, and it gave her time to think while the two bickered. They traded jibes, but the ghost seemed reluctant to press the point for some reason, and the woman didn't seem to care. Toothless attacks against one another, the girl realized. They knew each other, or this was an old conversation, one they'd treaded time and time again. Friends? Probably not, but at least acquaintances. She'd assumed the woman was the figure who'd saved her, which was still likely.

"Hm," said the woman, a knowing smirk on her face, her eyes on the girl. "I think you're luckier to have her, than she is to have you."

The girl blinked.

The woman rose from her sitting position, walking over and extending a hand. "I'm Stalker," she said.

"Stalker?" asked the girl, taking the proffered hand. Stalker's grip was strong, fingers callused.

"Yeah," said Stalker. "What about you? Figured out your name yet?"

The girl didn't respond. It hadn't occurred to her. Why couldn't she remember?

Stalker frowned. "Whatever," she said, stepping away and sitting down across from the girl. "Don't sweat it. You won't remember much. Sometimes flashes, when you die. Find another name, something short."

The girl ignored her, her eyes screwed shut. There weren't blank spots in her memory. It just wasn't there. She could picture the idea of a childhood, it just wasn't hers. Words came easily. Parents, mothers, fathers, just generalities. Learning, buildings, books. No specifics. Regret. A sickening twist in her stomach.

No, that wasn't quite right. Regret implied a desire to repent. Resignation was closer, but didn't fit either. There was an underlying dogma, incontrovertible necessities…

But a desire to choose others. It wound back into itself, an uncomfortable knot, a pulsing desperate wish coiling and constricting.

"Hey," said Stalker, her voice hard, insistent.

The girl looked to her, uncertain.

"Don't obsess," said Stalker, then turned back to the bubbling pot.

"If you really want to, you can look into it," murmured the ghost, perched above the girl's left shoulder. "I'll help however I can. I'm here to support you."

The girl paused, shaking off the reverie and looking at her ghost. Was she obsessing? It seemed easy enough to to fall into, to comb through the lack, searching for an answer, pushing for any connection at all. As it was, she felt… Adrift. No anchor.

Stalker dipped a bowl into the pot, cleaning off the dripping vessel with a rag. She sipped at it, made a face, and looked over to the girl. "You hungry?"

The girl was surprised to find she was, and nodded.

"Eat," said Stalker, offering a dented bowl, filled with brown translucent liquid, and gray lumps.

The girl took the bowl and looked at the liquid. Oily water, with bits of ashy foam on top. She sipped at it. Salty.

Stalker laughed. "Sorry. Never did get the hang of cooking."

The girl drank it anyway, even eating the gray lumps of stringy meat. They sat there for a while, the fire dying down to a low flame, Stalker occasionally snapping a branch in half and tossing it in to ward off the dark.

Eventually, Stalker spoke, eyes still gazing into the dying flame. "You did good, you know," she said. "Fought through the snow. Pushed on. I know folks who would have given up. Fallen down, and stopped getting up."

"I just kept on going," said the girl. There had been no decision at all, for her. No real thought put in or conscious desire.

"That's what you have to do," said Stalker. Her words almost sounded dejected. "It's what everyone has to do now. Push on and keep fighting."

After that, Stalker didn't say much. The girl waited, and eventually Stalker stood up, scooping out another bowl of liquid and tossing it over the fire. The flames sputtered and sparked, guttering before going out.

"I'll take you to a town I trade at in the morning," said Stalker. "Get some rest."

The girl settled under the furs, staring up into the sky. The moon was too bright, the stars twinkling like tiny flecks of broken glass. Her ghost floated by her shoulder, single eye gazing into the distance. The girl thought to ask what her ghost was looking at, but sleep took her before she could.

Her dreams were of the ocean.

Know When to Run, When to Survive
Know When to Run, When to Survive

Breakfast was a short affair. Stalker tossed a brown lump at the girl she said was bread, and although the girl hadn't ever tried it in this life, she was pretty sure it wasn't supposed to hurt when it hit you. It took a long while to chew, long enough for Stalker to also throw the girl a spare cloak and long enough for them to start making their way through the woods.

"If you can't keep up, don't worry about it. Keep heading this way," said Stalker, gesturing in front of herself. "I'll come back for you."

It felt like a challenge, with an implied "If I have to," and the girl was determined not to let it happen.

Stalker seemed to know every step, never glancing behind to make sure the girl was following, only speaking every so often in a sort of begrudging acknowledgement she still existed, tokens of specific advice like: "Don't let them see your ghost," or "Watch people. If they're well-fed, they're less desperate. People are willing to do stupid things for food."

The girl wanted to ask about where these lessons originated from, but instead focused on following the unseen path Stalker apparently knew, carefully making her way. There was no trail, although there were occasional vehicles, long overgrown with flora, rusted to the point where they were collapsing in upon themselves.

"Hid there once," said Stalker, as they passed a larger, unrecognizable mass of rusted metal. As expected, Stalker didn't elaborate, just taking another look before she moved on. The girl followed.

The trees grew denser, not sparser, although there were ruins, dilapidated structures, shambles for who knew how long, the forest having long since reclaimed it. Even where they walked had not been immune, the road long overgrown, asphalt unmaintained, pushed through by trees, pavement cracked and worn. Some trees were cut down stumps, and the reason why became abundantly clear as they approached a wall of spiked logs, complete with a gate at the bottom, crafted from metal spikes and wire lashed together.

"I don't like this," murmured Stalker, just loud enough for the girl to hear as they approached the gate. "Follow my lead. Don't show your ghost."

"Stalker!" Came a voice from behind the ramparts, and a young man peeked through the gate. "Who's your friend?"

"Refugee," said Stalker. "What's with the new walls? Warlord?"

"Fallen," said the young man. He was carrying a rifle, and it looked uncomfortably heavy. "Betty spotted one a while back. One of those with only two arms, she said."

"A scout?" Stalker frowned. "You should evacuate. This won't be enough if it's a Skiff or a Walker."

"It was weeks ago," said the young man. "Beginning to think she was seeing things. We've got someone helping, don't worry." He waved a dismissive hand. "You coming in?"

The gate screeched its way open, and Stalker walked in. The girl followed. The settlement was comprised of a network of old and new buildings, bits of scaffolding serving as lattice stitching them together. Chunks of the old walkways had been hauled away, making room for crops between buildings. There was a noise, and the girl looked up, brushing black hair out of her eyes. There was greenery atop the buildings as well, arranged along racks. Stalker talked with a few people she seemed to recognize, exchanging goods before rejoining the girl.

"Here," Stalker said, handing an object off to the girl.

It was a knife, in a roughly sanded wooden sheath, a sling of leather cord to hold it. "Thank you," said the girl, wrapping it around her waist. She looked up, and had to hurry to keep up with Stalker, who had seen something and was moving toward it. "What is it?" the girl asked.

"Risen," said Stalker, increasing her pace. "Hey!" she called out.

The Risen turned around, a hand on his hip. On a gun, the girl realized. "Hey," said the Risen. Light skinned, dark haired, and a pleasant smile.

"What's with the walls?" Stalker said. "They need to run. If the Fallen show up, it won't stop them."

"Well," said the Risen. "I'm Jamie. You must be Stalker. I've been helping these folk out, and I think they just need training. Training and fortifications."

"They die, they don't come back," Stalker said, in an angry hiss. "The Fallen have tanks. Tanks and ships. You can't fight that with wooden walls and grit. It just makes the place a bigger target."

"That's what I'm here for," said Jamie, white teeth flashing. "I'll have them ready."

"Bull," said Stalker. "You're going to get them all killed."

"We could work together on this if you want," said Jamie, holding up a placating hand. His other was kept firmly on his gun. "But I've heard you work alone. Or has that changed?" He glanced over at the girl.

Stalker stiffened, leaning ever so slightly forward.

Jamie chuckled. "I get it. You like the lone wolf gig. But we have to work together sometimes. These walls will help delay any attacks, give us time to respond. Not everyone can keep running. If you want to scout and look for them, go for it. Let us know. Alright?" Apparently considering the conversation to be over, he turned and walked away.

Stalker watched him go. After he was out of sight, she started moving back toward the gate. "I'm leaving," she said. "You coming?"

"Why not stay and help?" the girl asked.

Stalker turned on the girl, hands curled into fists, mouth pressed into a thin line of anger. After a long moment, she shook her head, tension leaving her body. "I don't work well with others. You don't know how to fight. Dead weight. I'm going to go scout. Just like he said."

"Do you want me with you?" the girl asked.

Stalker shrugged. "Do what you want." She started walking toward the gate.

After a moment, the girl followed.

They moved in silence, weaving through trees and stepping over roots. The silence stretched on and on, Stalker setting a harder pace, almost a brisk jog. The route was circuitous, the girl noted, looping around the town, cutting through the forest to look at the other dilapidated buildings. Gradually, Stalker stopped pushing as hard, slowing to a walk. She turned and looked at the girl, and removed a gun from a satchel, wordlessly offering it.

The girl took it, holding the gun gingerly. It was heavier, colder, larger in her hand than she'd expected, the grip covered in rough, filed hashes.

"You know how to use it?" asked Stalker, producing a holster to go along with the weapon.

The girl was surprised to know she did. She nodded.

Stalker kept moving as she spoke. "If there's really Fallen out here, put at least two in their head. They have helmets in addition to a tough carapace. The bigger they are, the badder they are. Four limbs is worse than two."

The girl struggled to get the holster strapped around her waist and move and listen all at once. The gun pushed into place, the click of a metal fastener as she pressed down.

"Their blood is a mild intoxicant. Is that the right word? Try not to get any on your face or mouth." Stalker turned toward the girl, as if to verify the word was in fact correct. There was a glint behind her, in the distance.

The girl glanced at it.

Stalker followed her eyes, and turned. An electric snap echoed in the distance, and Stalker staggered. The girl reached to steady her, but Stalker lurched toward the trees, pointing with her uninjured arm. "Cover," she croaked, and another shot hit her in the back, knocking her down.

The air smelled like it was burnt. The girl went for the trees, getting behind one, sliding down, fumbling with the holster she'd just put on. She jerked at the covering, trying to pull it out. Electric fire blasted past, curving around the tree, and the girl flinched away from it.

"We have to move," said the girl's ghost. "Those can home." The girl was already moving, throwing herself behind another tree, gun in hand.

The sound of chatter. Guttural chitters, mechanical breathing. They grew closer. Louder.

The girl breathed. Listened. More chatter. Movement, steps toward where Stalker had fallen. Scuttling going towards her. Her ghost was whispering, urgent words in her ear that she couldn't hear. Only a roaring pounding in her head and the sound of those who had attacked.

A gunshot. Then two more. Gurgling hacks. Another shot.

The electric snap of the rifle, followed by a grunt of pain.

The girl peeked out of cover, the gun held out in front of her. She was surprised to find her hands weren't trembling. Three bodies on the ground, with Stalker nowhere to be seen.

A noise to her right. An impact around her waist. A grip around her arm, shoving the gun away. It fell from her grip.

Four glowing eyes in her face, a maw of sharp teeth hissing at her. She headbutted it, and it flinched backward. She punched it, trying to push it off her.

It went, skittering backward on all four limbs.

"We don't have to do this," the girl said, her throat dry, voice hoarse. Her hand went down to the knife at her belt. "You don't have to do this."

It lunged. The knife hit its chest, biting and failing to find purchase, sliding off some sort of dark armor covering its skin.

They collapsed, it on top of her again, a knife drawn, its edge crackling electric blue. The girl caught the Fallen by the wrists, struggling to keep the blade away with both hands.

It was stronger than her. The knife inched toward her chest.

The girl breathed, gritted her teeth, and let its hands go. Even braced, the impact knocked the breath from her. The Fallen let out a raucous barking laugh.

And then it choked, coughing flecks of red-black, pawing at its neck where the girl's knife was firmly embedded. The girl pushed the Fallen off, tugging fruitlessly at her knife before looking blearily for her gun. Her ghost was hovering around her chest, spinning out threads of light. She spotted it, a glint of steel amidst the pine needles, and scooped it up.

"It's gone through and hit your lung," said her ghost. "I'll fix it, but I need you to-"

The girl coughed, and it hurt, dull aching as blood spattered her hand.

"Stay still," her ghost continued.

There was a noise. The girl whirled, pain blazing in her chest, the gun at the ready.

It was Stalker. "Good job," she said, her voice slurred as she stumbled, leaning against a tree. There were holes through her, her shoulder, chest, and leg. The ghost flitted about, triaging each. "You got one," Stalker said as she sagged down to the ground, resting her back. "We gotta go."

"It's over?" the girl asked. The knife fell from her chest. Flesh stitched together. She reached down, and picked it up. "Who are they? What are they?"

Stalker feebly kicked the body of one of the dead Fallen. "Red clothes. House of Devils. Hate humans, hate us. If only all assholes were so easily identifiable." She let out a chuckle, then groaned. "Fuck. We have to go tell them."

The girl offered Stalker a hand, and Stalker took it. They moved together toward the town. Slowly at first, then faster when they heard the sounds of machines in the distance.

Last edited:
I'm normally heavily opposed to Taylor and Sophia being on speaking terms, let alone working together. But this doesn't really count as Taylor or Sophia, and I like how you've developed Stalker's character (from what we've seem) to be a reflection of Sophia's core elements without the lense of her experiences and traumas as Sophia.

Very nice. I like the way you make it ambiguous if Stalker is Risen, or if she's just a normal human, either AU-ed in or lucky enough to be one of the people who got the Travelers gift of lifespan before she stopped being able to give.

Can't wait to find out for certain.

Hhh, this is really good!

Seconding Kell of Snow on the ambiguity, though I personally think Stalker is a Risen who's lost her Ghost. It wouldn't be the first time, at least according to certain lore interpretations, and I think it makes sense with her being at least a little bit noteworthy, and her whole particular attitude re death and dying etc. Who'd be more aware of mortality then someone who had immortality and then lost it, after all? Explains her being paranoid about hiding Ghosttale, too. ... though, admittedly, she could just be someone who Ghosttale is hanging out with, but still.

It felt warm near the end, dozing off into the comfortable realization she was about to die.
This is a wonderful line.
The figure grew larger. It reached for her, a cold grip wrapping around her wrist and pulling her to her feet. It yelled something in her face, but the girl couldn't hear over the howling of the wind.
I like how Stalker appears here... and then we don't see her again until like, after the ghost has already been speaking for a good few paragraphs.
"The Traveler chose you for a reason. You must have been a great hero in your previous life," the ghost said. Insisted.
Does that say more about Tayrisen or about Ghosttale, I wonder?
"A giant white ball," called a voice from the trees. A cloaked figure stepped in, setting down a bundle of kindling by the fire. She raised a hand in greeting, then poked at the pot, tossed another twig into the flames, then sat down, back against a tree. "Came out of nowhere. Terraformed planets. Caused a Golden age. People lived longer, huge advancements in science. And now, this." The cloaked figure made a wide gesture with open hands, indicating the area around her. "Must've been nice."
Hello, Stalker! Her absolutely cynical perspective really speaks to me. "Damn, imagine living in a cool world.'
The cloaked figure pulled down her hood, revealing a woman with dark skin and brown eyes. "You're unlucky, you got an optimistic one," she said. "She's a tattletale, too."
Thus, GhostTale.
The ghost's casing flared outward, outraged. "I am not. I merely brought pertinent information to those who could best use it, when I didn't have a risen to help."
This strikes against my 'Stalker is a Risen' theory, to be fair.
"Hm," said the woman, a knowing smirk on her face, her eyes on the girl. "I think you're luckier to have her, than she is to have you."

Hmmm...

The woman rose from her sitting position, walking over and extending a hand. "I'm Stalker," she said.

"Stalker?" asked the girl, taking the proffered hand. Stalker's grip was strong, fingers callused.

"Yeah," said Stalker. "What about you? Figured out your name yet?"

The girl didn't respond. It hadn't occurred to her. Why couldn't she remember?
Poor Taylor.
But a desire to choose others. It wound back into itself, an uncomfortable knot, a pulsing desperate wish coiling and constricting.

"Hey," said Stalker, her voice hard, insistent.

The girl looked to her, uncertain.

"Don't obsess," said Stalker, then turned back to the bubbling pot.

"If you really want to, you can look into it," murmured the ghost, perched above the girl's left shoulder. "I'll help however I can. I'm here to support you."
I ship it.
Eventually, Stalker spoke, eyes still gazing into the dying flame. "You did good, you know," she said. "Fought through the snow. Pushed on. I know folks who would have given up. Fallen down, and stopped getting up."

"I just kept on going," said the girl. There had been no decision at all, for her. No real thought put in or conscious desire.

"That's what you have to do," said Stalker. Her words almost sounded dejected. "It's what everyone has to do now. Push on and keep fighting."
Backs up what I said about Stalker earlier, her frustration with 'all we can do is keep fighting, and for what?' It's an interesting perspective.
Stalker seemed to know every step, never glancing behind to make sure the girl was following, only speaking every so often in a sort of begrudging acknowledgement she still existed, tokens of specific advice like: "Don't let them see your ghost," or "Watch people. If they're well-fed, they're less desperate. People are willing to do stupid things for food."
"Hid there once," said Stalker, as they passed a larger, unrecognizable mass of rusted metal. As expected, Stalker didn't elaborate, just taking another look before she moved on. The girl followed.
Stalker as the mentor figure is an interesting character, and I dig it.
"Their blood is a mild intoxicant. Is that the right word? Try not to get any on your face or mouth." Stalker turned toward the girl, as if to verify the word was in fact correct. There was a glint behind her, in the distance.

In the grim darkness of the far future, Shadow Stalker still has trouble with words sometimes. :V

And then it choked, coughing flecks of red-black, pawing at its neck where the girl's knife was firmly embedded. The girl pushed the Fallen off, tugging fruitlessly at her knife before looking blearily for the her gun. Her ghost was hovering around her chest, spinning out threads of light. She spotted it, a glint of steel amidst the pine needles, and scooped it up.

Extra word there.

The Monstrous Sounds on the Wind
The Monstrous Sounds on the Wind

A rumble echoed in the distance, a booming angry thunderclap of noise, and Stalker's limping run slowed. She kept moving, and so did the girl, but as they reached a position with a clear line of sight, Stalker halted.

There was a ship, floating in the air, fallen hanging off protrusions in the back which looked like a metal ribcage.

There was a vehicle on the ground, an six-legged monstrosity splashed with red, a giant cannon on its back, a laser tracer painting buildings. A shell fired from the spider-like walker, the thunderclap sounded once more, and dust erupted as an old building began to collapse.Stalker flinched. "Fuck," she said. "Fuck."

Fallen dropped from the ship, which then proceeded to vanish, fading away piece by piece from stem to stern. Stalker sat. Her teeth were gritted, her jaw set. Flickers of violet seeped from her clenched fists.

"We have to do something," said the girl.

"They'll kill us," said Stalker. "And then they'll kill our ghosts. You killed a dreg. They're the lowest of the low. I killed the rest of the scouts. That there is an entire raiding party. A spider tank, at least one skiff. They can cloak. Probably a captain in there somewhere. Twice your size with a shrapnel launcher. I don't have the firepower. I can't. You don't know how to use your Light. You can't."

The girl looked down at her Fallen knife, and her pistol.

Another explosion in the distance.

"I can't hear much screaming," said Stalker, voice hollow. "Some might get taken alive. They fought every day to stay alive. I didn't want to interfere too much. Thought they'd get soft." She stood, her chest rising and falling with slow, deep breaths, her eyes screwed shut. "Stay here, and let's talk about Light."

The girl looked over at the town. "I can't just let them die."

"So you can be like the Risen there, promising more than you can deliver," said Stalker. "Heroes die. They die, and their ghosts are destroyed by molten slag unless they have the ability to stop it. You'll die and have achieved nothing. A waste. Don't do it. Sit. If you trust me, sit. If you want to stop it, you need the ability to."

The girl sat, jaw clenched. Stalker held out a hand, holding a black spot between her index finger and thumb. It bubbled with purple, bubbling outward before collapsing on itself.

"I had a bad teacher," said Stalker. "Trial and error gave me the most, living like I do now. I might be a bad teacher. Light's a vague, conceptual power, separated into Solar, Arc, and Void. I won't pretend to know much about Arc or Solar. I use Void, but Void is the most confusing of the lot."

The girl watched as the purple iridescence condensed, lengthening into a long thin spike before collapsing back into nothing, sucked away. "What is it?"

"I don't know," said Stalker. "All I have is annoying koans from other people. You don't want that. I'm going to give you as concrete an answer as I can.

"Light is you creating, imposing your will upon the world in a way. There's some weird science and I'm sure there's a lot of books about it. Each element is a different building block. Some people attribute human traits to them. Anthropomorphize? Yeah. You might see why. Part of it is want. Your will and want meet and you create what you need to win.

"What I've seen and what I've used to learn are simple, basic aspects, reified through what I want. I want to go unseen, to slip by others. The Void hides me. I could close my eyes and know where to step. I want a weapon. I draw arrows into my hand, and they hunt down my prey. It's a ritual we don't completely understand, so we make answers, make it ours, and it becomes instinct."

The girl watched as the walls of the town smoldered. The Fallen were hidden by buildings, the tank having long since moved through the remnants of makeshift barricades. Silence. It was suffocating. Her hands trembled, shaking, and she curled them into fists, pressing them against the ground. It was odd. It welled up inside her, a buzzing in her ears, ringing, her tongue thick in her mouth. The trepidation got worse.

It loomed over her, the smell of wet loam and rot. Building blocks. Will, and want. Choices. Had she made the wrong one? The inability to act in itself was paralyzing, a self-fulfilling tautology of anxious frustration.

It dripped down into control. The lack of it, the availability of choice inherent to the powerful. Too much power to the wrong people. Protecting those without.

She reached.

Violet limned her fingertips. It curled around her wrist, clinging expectation and fulfilled opportunity. It felt like the remainder of a reminder, an unfulfilled promise she couldn't quite parse.

It felt cool against her knuckles, which had ground into the dirt.

And then it was gone.

"You did it," whispered her ghost. "Well done."

"Repeat it. Focus on defining it. Make it yours," Stalker said. "Forge it into what you need. It's your best advantage, without better weapons. Looks like they're already starting to move out. We'll head in at nightfall, look for survivors and see if we can track them. Surprise is our best advantage."

The girl nodded, and looked again to the ruined settlement.

They approached the ruins from other, older buildings. There weren't any obvious signs of Fallen, or so Stalker said, but Stalker also wasn't taking chances. Plots of land were demolished. Green turned into mulch, trampled by the spider tank, human footprints, and Fallen ones. Stalks broken, snapped into the ground.

"I've heard some people tried to negotiate," said Stalker, in a low murmur as she moved around a corner, peeking through an open doorway. "But the Fallen hate us. At least this faction does. Or maybe hate is all that's survived of them."

"Why?" asked the girl, following close behind.

Stalker shrugged. "Hard to reach out when they keep shooting." The former lively settlement had been utterly dismantled. Many of the buildings had been reduced to rubble, and what wooden structures had existed were reduced to embers or trampled into the muck. Smoke choked the air, the scent of cinders lingering even as the fires died down. "Surprising they didn't kill more. The walls might have helped. Less places to run, so they gave up quicker."

"I'm not picking up any life signs," said the girl's ghost. "No Fallen. No ghosts, either."

"Any corpses?" asked Stalker. She held a hand out, and a ghost materialized. A blue light played out over the buildings as it swiveled in place before vanishing. "Some this way." She started pushing through, navigating toward one of the few intact doorways, then stopped. "Wait."

Stalker knelt, leaning through the doorframe and fiddling with something on the other side. She pulled off what looked like some sort of spike, tossing it to the side. "A tripmine," said the girl's ghost.

"They left presents. There's the body." Stalker stepped through the door, and over to a slumped form, hands still clutching onto a gun. She tugged the weapon loose, examining it before handing it over to the girl. "Shotgun. Closer range. Two shells left."

It was heavy, tape worn and peeling on the grip and pump. The girl tucked away her pistol, holding the shotgun in both hands.

"Something over here," said the girl's ghost. The girl checked. A circular chunk of metal removed from the ground, with rungs going downward. "A sewer system," said the ghost. "Maybe some escaped."

Stalker looked over, an expression of relief on her face, which quickly turned sour. "No," she said, "there's Fallen tracks leading out, but none going in. They must have found the bolt hole."

The girl looked at the shotgun, then the wall across from the dead body. "He's facing the sewer entrance."

Her ghost traced the body with blue light. "Two shots in the back, then another to the head, when he was down."

"Good work," said Stalker, but she wasn't smiling. "Let's move on. I don't like how planned out this was. They stood no chance."

They stepped back out into the open, walking through the pillaged streets. Stalker followed the path until the spider tank had been picked up by the Fallen ship. "They won't be far," she said, "maybe two, three days this way. Good time to practice. They'll pick over their loot. We can find them." Stalker's eyes studied the girl, and seemed to come to a decision. "Last chance to stop."

The girl felt the Void Light float over her fingertips. It slipped over and under, and tapped its way up her arm. It solidified and collapsed, vanishing without a trace. It felt heavy, sinking into bone, coiling around her arm and tightening even as it vanished into conviction. She stepped past Stalker, and kept walking.

Stalker chuckled, and followed.

Last edited:
"They'll kill us," said Stalker. "And then they'll kill our ghosts. You killed a dreg. They're the lowest of the low. I killed the rest of the scouts. That there is an entire raiding party. A spider tank, at least one skiff. They can cloak. Probably a captain in there somewhere. Twice your size with a shrapnel launcher. I don't have the firepower. I can't. You don't know how to use your Light. You can't."
That answers the question of whether Sophia is a Risen or not, as does the later stuff, but it still seems interesting that she can't or won't act like other Risen, that she keeps her Ghost in reserve, that she fights like a human more than a Risen.

And we're getting a better look at how Taylor handles the Light! (And how Stalker handles it as well. I feel like the 'people make koans but they're all dumb' is almost poking fun at the predator-prey fanon of Worm, but like, in a good way?)

Twei basically covered what I was thinking, except for the following.

There was a vehicle on the ground, an eight-legged monstrosity splashed with red, a giant cannon on its back, a laser tracer painting buildings.

Either this is a miscount, standard spider tanks are 6-legged, or this is a Noble Walker. AKA pre-whirlwind, Eliksni golden-age equivilant tech. No idea which of these two it is though, but personally the latter would make an interesting complication to a fight planned around a normal spider tank.

EDIT: gameplay wise, noble walkers have the same models as the regular spider tanks, I will concede that. However, with the power of not having to do any visual rendering, the noble walker can easily (and is often) expressed in a different state.

Last edited:
Twei basically covered what I was thinking, except for the following.

Either this is a miscount, standard spider tanks are 6-legged, or this is a Noble Walker. AKA pre-whirlwind, Eliksni golden-age equivilant tech. No idea which of these two it is though, but personally the latter would make an interesting complication to a fight planned around a normal spider tank.

EDIT: gameplay wise, noble walkers have the same models as the regular spider tanks, I will concede that. However, with the power of not having to do any visual rendering, the noble walker can easily (and is often) expressed in a different state.
It's an error and has been fixed, thank you and my apologies. Normal Spider Tanks are bad enough for them for now.

A Thousand Million Insects Scurried Their Way
A Thousand Million Insects Scurried Their Way

The dream was more chaotic, more frenetic. The smells of cloying rot and brine were prominent in them, seaweed and rocks slick with algae. The wind blew it far inland, and it turned into a scouring wave, stripping any context or meaning away. It made sense in the sense dream logic did. A tidal wave came, and there was nowhere left to hide.

In it, she saw the teeth of the Fallen, a gasping maw filled with needle blades. It lurched toward her, and she held the knife back once again. Events played out like they did, and she allowed it to stab her, returning the blow. But then she kept bleeding, Void Light trickling through her fingers in a steady stream. And then she woke up.

"I don't," said Stalker, when asked about her dreams.

The girl knew Stalker wasn't telling the truth, but it felt like something she didn't want peeled back. So the girl focused on her Light, trying to tease it into shapes as they moved along. It was recalcitrant and willing, in a paradoxical, aggravating fashion. She could see why some thought it had human-like aspects, because it seemed to have a personality of its own.

Stalker's hands conjured bolts of shimmering indigo, two fingers crooked as if beckoning the whirling Void to enter. It formed in a sphere, a spiraling whorl extending outward and into a spike of night sky. It dissipated as she shook her hand out, dismissing it from existence. It all seemed ritualistic, a predefined behavior to appease the unknown, repetitive actions refined into a singular purpose. Speaking a unique language none of them really truly understood.

The girl tried to imitate Stalker's gesture. It felt wrong, almost disrespectful. It wasn't hers. So instead she focused on how the Void had felt. The cool balm against her knuckles, circling under and over the fingers of her clenched fist.

Her nails pressed against her palm, leaving tiny red marks when she unfolded her fingers.

It felt right.

There were paths, made by the treading feet of others, their age easily evident. One was overgrown with plant life, retaken by the lack of travelers choosing it. They walked down it anyway, Stalker's ghost emerging momentarily to confirm they were on the correct path.

Broken machinery and buildings were everywhere, rusted, overgrown, and razed. Artifacts of obviously alien or separate origin left the area with a rough timeline to examine. A crashed ship, stripped for parts, less rusted than the others, and a paintjob not completely worn away by the elements. A vehicle, halfway through a wall, on its side, not yet claimed by rust. An unseen narrative they didn't have time to piece together.

Animals in the rubble watched them from time to time, shining eyes in the shadowed ruins. But the animals never attacked. So Stalker and the girl pushed onward.

With the night there was more time for the girl to practice. The Void Light etched its way across her clenched fist, pulsing through veins up her arm. It constricted and expanded, emerging from her skin in droplets that mirrored the night when she held it up, just without the stars.

She hit a tree with the pseudo-gauntlet, and the tree shook, leaves falling from it, and bark flaked away from where she'd landed the blow, white flesh underneath. The Void Light shimmered and faded as she pried open her fist, her fingers shaking. Her ghost praised her, but the girl couldn't get the image of the dead Fallen out of her head. What would this do to it? She didn't bother mentioning it to Stalker, who seemed to kill with little to no remorse. Could the girl do the same?

Laying on the ground, staring into the sky, the girl mentioned it to her ghost.

Her ghost, ever the optimist, provided the idea of taking the Fallen alive. Or negotiating. Peace. It felt like a wonderful lie, a storybook ending where it was all just a great big misunderstanding.

She couldn't get the image of the slumped man out of her head, or Stalker with holes shot clean through her. The girl was thankful for her ghost's attempt, but a bitter taste was in her mouth as she fell asleep.

They reached the Fallen encampment before midday. There was a skiff hovering above the ground in the open, causing Stalker and the girl to jerk back into cover.

The girl felt like it was much too soon, holding the shotgun and focusing on the Void. Not enough time to know how to fight, not enough time to be ready to fight.

"Looks like some sort of flight facility. Or used to be one," said Stalker, peeking out. She narrowed her eyes, shielding them with a hand. "Sentries."

The girl searched. One Fallen atop a spire of metal, watching from a platform. Another perched atop a rounded structure. "How many do you think there'll be?" she asked.

"Twenty? Maybe forty." Stalker shrugged. "We won't be able to take them in an open fight. Pick them off, disable the tank and skiff. Trap it if we can."

The girl looked down at the shotgun. She opened her mouth, and was about to suggest the possibility of stealing the people away. To rescue them and run.

"It won't work," said Stalker. "We couldn't keep them alive, and the Fallen would hunt them down. Red are some of the worst of the bunch. How long could we protect them before we were overwhelmed?"

The girl looked at Stalker, whose gaze was steady.

"We can't be victims. Not here," Stalker said. "There is no other option when pushed to the brink. These are killers. You want to save those people? You have to be prepared to fight back. You understand?"

The girl nodded. They waited there in the shadows, and Stalker's ghost projected an approximation of a map on the ground, highlighting potential points of interest. From the scan, the tank was likely in the rounded structure, perhaps undergoing maintenance. An underground area might be where they were keeping their prisoners.

"We take out the sentries first," said Stalker. "Then work our way inward. I'll try to disable the skiff and tank. If there are any fuel tanks, I'll set them on fire, create chaos. We meet up at the underground area, fight our way there if necessary. Take their weapons when you're out of ammo. Wire rifles take a second to charge. Shock rifles fire slow, but shots track. Pistols are only good in short quarters. If you find a shrapnel launcher, it's like a shotgun except longer range." Stalker's ghost helpfully flashed diagrams of each.

The girl could only nod again, focusing on breathing, clenching and unclenching her fist.

The waiting made all the tension and anxiety worse. How many Fallen would they kill? What if the people were already dead? More and more questions welled up in the intervening time while they sat there. Stalker was checking over her weapons, opening up her revolver, unfolding a compound bow and examining the sights.

The girl didn't want to mess with her weapons and potentially end up breaking them, so she instead looked at the Fallen. There were banners hung up on the buildings, vibrantly red with painted white streaks down them. Four-armed Fallen were tinkering on the skiff, a large floating ball following them around. Fallen filtered in and out of the larger building, and occasionally it was possible to hear bits of raspy conversation between them. Some moved furtively, less confident. Always with two arms, caps around nubs of a lower set.

She tried to count them, but it was difficult to pick details out from a distance. There were roughly six working on the skiff, along with the ball. Another eight of the two-armed ones, two sentries, and then the random ones in transit.

Time passed easier that way, as long as she tried not to focus on the fact she would soon be trying to kill them like they had tried to kill her. But then dusk arrived, the sky a purplish orange and Stalker nodded to the girl. She drew the bow, leaning out from cover, and fired.

There was a small crack of a noise as it struck home, and the Fallen in the spire had an arrow sprouting from its face, purple and bright. It slowly toppled backward, falling until its body was caught in the metal rungs of the spire.

Stalker drew again, then fired again.

The Fallen on the roof toppled off, hitting the ground with a meaty thud. Stalker let out a noise of annoyance, waiting for a moment that seemed to go on forever before letting out a sigh of relief.

"Time to go," Stalker said to the girl, before stepping out from behind the tree and vanishing entirely, the only evidence of her existence footsteps in the grass toward the Fallen encampment.

The girl ran after, a pistol in one hand, a fistful of Void in the other.

The Good Ones Are All Dead
The Good Ones Are All Dead

Two buildings. One large, silver domed, where the tank was. The other a smaller unit, where the prisoners were. The Fallen weren't alerted yet, but it was only a matter of time, the girl realized as the sound of Stalker's footsteps went toward the skiff.

There was a faint shimmer as Stalker appeared next to a Fallen on the skiff, kicking its legs out from under it and slamming a knife into its neck on its way down. One noticed and reached for a weapon, but Stalker was already crouching down, drawing her bow and firing all in one smooth motion. The Fallen stumbled back, clutching at the arrow with two hands, trying to stabilize itself with the other two. The Skiff listed to the side, as the Fallen's hands pressed against a console.

Sounds of confusion came from the silver building. They'd investigate, and Stalker wouldn't be able to fight them all on her own. Especially not the tank. The girl steeled herself and pushed into the silver building. The tank sat there, leaning forward, head extended outward. There were Fallen nestled in nooks and crannies on the tank's limbs, tools in their hands. Fallen sat off to the side looking at the skiff, only beginning to notice her.

One pointed at her, shouting a single guttural word.

The girl aimed the pistol at them, pointing it at each of them in turn, sweeping the muzzle back and forth. Too many to fight, all at once. Too many to kill.

"We don't-," she started, trying to imbue her voice with bravado she didn't feel. "We don't have to fight."

One laughed at her, larger than the others as it stood up, unfolding. It towered over her, stepping forward. Unlike the others, it wore more armor, its helmet flared into two triangular points, with a rebreather on its mouth. There were blades sheathed by its side, and it strode toward her with an easy confidence she'd only seen before in Stalker.

The girl kept the pistol aimed at it. It closed the distance. Twenty meters. Fifteen. She fired. It cackled, as the shots met a shield of crackling energy. She backed up, continuing to pull the trigger.

Five meters.

It reached out, faster than she thought possible, grabbing the pistol and ripping it from her hand, tossing it to the side with one hand, grabbing her arm with another hand, punching her with another, and finally hurling her through the air. The girl felt the impact travel through her body as she hit the wall of the building, the sheet metal bending, the air expelled from her body from the force of the combination of attacks. She tumbled to the ground, trying to reach for the shotgun, her vision blurry. Everything hurt. She coughed, trying to get air into her lungs.

So this was what Stalker had meant.

She wasn't ready.

The Fallen stood over her, letting out a derisive few syllables, hauling her up by an arm. It drew a blade, and slammed it home. She could hear the grind of it go through the metal behind her before the nauseating pain erupted inside her.

Then an arrow struck it in the back. The Fallen let out an exasperated growl, reaching behind and pulling out the offending projectile, turning and shouting orders, pointing at her and the tank before vanishing.

"It's straight through," said her ghost urgently in her ear, "we have to get it out before I can heal you. Push off the wall."

It hurt. The pain came in waves and wouldn't stop, and the Fallen were rushing around, readying themselves for combat. One had a wire rifle, and was walking over with it.

The girl could feel her ghost in the small of her back, pushing. The wall creaked. The girl put her feet against the wall, coughing as she held the hilt of the blade. It hadn't been made for a human, but for a much larger hand.

The Fallen raised the wire rifle, and it hummed with energy. The girl kicked off the wall, hitting them with her body. She grit her teeth as they hit the ground together. It was impossible to plan, to think, and everything turned from cogent thought to a moment to moment basis of instinct.

Her hand curled into a fist. The Void came to her, spiraling around her arm in a cloud of potential before snapping into place as a gauntlet. And for a moment, all she could feel was her nails digging against her palm, and the impact of her fist against the Fallen's face.

The Void unfolded from there, winding up her arm and across her body, even as the Fallen jerked and clutched at her, unraveling from existence. The blade fell from her stomach as she stood, stumbling forward. Another impact hit her, knocking her backward. Bursts of blue energy from a rifle.

But she was unharmed. There was no time for awe, only action, as more and more of the Fallen saw her not as a bug pinned to a wall but as a legitimate threat.

One rushed her, and died to her shotgun, buckshot making a hole in it the size of her fist. Another came, and she fired again, but nothing happened, so she wielded the gun as a club, pushing the dreg back with it before bringing it down on their head, the weapon snapping in two.

And so she scooped up their shock pistol, pulling it free of their bandolier, feeling the awkward grip and firing it at Fallen with a wire rifle. It ran dry, so she threw it at them and dove for cover, hysterical laughter bubbling up. It was a cycle of destruction she found herself taking pleasure in, with pangs of guilt for doing so even as she tackled a dreg as it came around the corner.

She was protecting people. She was saving victims the Fallen had attacked. They were murderers. They were enslaving people.

It still felt flimsy. An excuse to go on the offense.

But there was no more time to ruminate on it, because her cover had started to move. Whatever repairs the spider tank had needed, they were apparently over with. It lumbered forward and outside, the cannon swiveling backward and aiming at her, a red light painting her.

"Move now, move now!" her ghost urged in a panicked singsong, and the girl hurled herself to the side. The tank fired, a wave of obliterating death which removed the dreg she'd been on top of from existence, along with a large chunk of wall and ground behind it.

Whatever shield had protected her, it was gone. The girl pushed herself to her feet, coughing through the dust the explosion had created, and trying to get her bearings. The tank, once outside, began to turn around so it could get a better shot.

Cover was too far away. Cover wouldn't matter. It had multiple guns. She couldn't close the distance. The girl went for the hole, grabbing a wire rifle off the ground as she did.

Another shot. Her ears rang as she pushed herself up, unsure when she'd thrown herself to the ground or if the force of the blast had done it for her. Rattled, she fired the rifle behind her at the tank, letting out the humming crack of charged shots until it clicked empty, not bothering to aim.

She started running toward the other building, a plan forming in her mind. It had an underground area. Cover, perhaps even weapons and…

Her run slowed to a walk. A Fallen was there, standing above three manacled humans on their knees. They pointed at her, then at the hostages with a gun, making a message in no uncertain terms.

The girl raised her hands up. Nice and slow. "Can we make a deal?" she asked.

Metal groaned and steam hissed as the spider tank rounded the corner. The laser painted her.

And then the skiff drove into it, metal screaming in protest as the ship detonated. What was left of Stalker's body hit the ground not too far away, with a sickening thud crunch of meat and bone. The tank's shot went wide, but the girl was already running toward the hostages, her fist clenched as she ran forward, taking advantage of the distraction.

The Fallen had looked away, its pistol raised toward the skiff for the moment of confusion it took the girl to close the distance. The girl clotheslined it, watching as it was consumed by Void Light. She let out a long breath through clenched teeth. Was it over? The girl started to help up the hostages. There was a lot of fire and rubble, smoke rising into the sky and dust settling. It was quieter, with only the crackle of fire.

And then something rumbled behind them. A shriek of metal as the tank sloughed off the skiff, its armor burning cherry red, paint flaking in the heat as it aimed at the girl and the hostages.

There was no saving arrow from Stalker, no more tricks or skiffs.

She could run, hoping the tank would fire at her instead of the hostages. But they might still be caught in the blast. She could try to push one out of the way. Or perhaps throw herself into the shot, hoping in vain it would blunt the impact.

Her breathing slowed. The world felt like it slowed as well, creeping along. Failure, rescued again and again.

She could protect herself. She needed the power to protect others.

The Void whorled around the girl's skin.

The cannon fired. The shell shattered the air, sending shockwaves through it.

No more time.

The action was instinctual. It was correct. She threw her arms out, her fists unfurling, fingers splayed. The armor of Light went with it, forming a brilliant violet barrier, a denial of reality encasing herself and the hostages in a starless night.

The action was instinctual. It was correct. She threw her arms out, her fists unfurling, fingers splayed. The armor of Light went with it, forming a brilliant violet barrier, a denial of reality encasing herself and the hostages in a starless night.

Ah, Ward of Dawn, always a classic. I wonder if this means our little protagonist is going to be restricted to Titan-style abilities, or if she can 'multi-class' as most did in the Dark Age.

Ah, Ward of Dawn, always a classic. I wonder if this means our little protagonist is going to be restricted to Titan-style abilities, or if she can 'multi-class' as most did in the Dark Age.
In terms of supers, Ward is probably the best to unlock in general. It's just so useful with it's ability to make a safe zone,

I do hope stalker has/unlocks shadowshot at some point. It would fit her.

In terms of supers, Ward is probably the best to unlock in general. It's just so useful with it's ability to make a safe zone,

I do hope stalker has/unlocks shadowshot at some point. It would fit her.

It would be perfectly thematic. Hell, I'm hedging my bets she's "The First Nightstalker" or something.

EDIT: just realized that Shiro-4 would make a good Velocity stand-in, with his use of the blade-dancer class's speed and striking style. Also the dry sarcastic tone that can turn serious in a heartbeat, but that's just icing on the cake.

No idea where I was going with this, I just wanted to share my discovery.

Last edited:
Carry a Piece of the Battle With You
Carry a Piece of the Battle With You

It held. She held. Arms outstretched, eyes screwed shut, breathing steady. She could feel the barrier around her.

The shot thundered against the barrier, and the girl leaned into it, hair falling in front of her face. It felt good to deny it.

Another shot, then another.

The girl opened her eyes, a manic smile on her face. The ground around the barrier was scarred, molten and cratered. Smoke and dust was everywhere else. But inside her area of sectioned off existence, the compartmentalized reality she'd defined through her Light, it was pristine. It wouldn't, no, it couldn't break through, so long as her will held. The girl breathed in.

"Stand," she said to the hostages behind her. "Get to safety."

They helped one another up, running back into the underground shelter. The girl waited, glaring down the tank with bated breath. Parts of it were still burning, others a dull red. The missile pod was crushed against it, the minigun was whirring and clicking, only rotating a single barrel before snapping back, the action caught on something or broken beyond repair.

The cannon fired once again, the impact adding additional dust and smoke to the cloud, and the girl ran forward, feeling the Void collapse behind her like a soap bubble snapping, snatching up the Fallen's shock pistol as she moved. She didn't know how much damage she could do to the tank with it, if any, but it was worth a shot.

Metal screeched as the tank swiveled to follow her, revealing two of its legs on its right side lagging behind the others, servos torn and spewing a mixture of liquids onto the ground. One was twisted, dangling, dragging along, only the metal plating still intact. The other jerked as the less damaged legs moved, skittering along as it tried to stabilize.

The girl fired at the undamaged right leg as she passed, bursts pinging off, some making it into the yellow slit and joints. Sparks erupted from the gaps. The tank staggered. An arrow glanced off the armor, only taking paint off, then another slammed home into the yellow gap. It was enough. The leg seized up and the tank collapsed to the right, leaning forward, the head of it sliding out, smoke rising from glowing orange machinery of its exposed neck.

Stalker was delivering arrows to the exposed neck, but the girl had no weapon. But she knew where to go to get one.

The sword was too big for her, unwieldy and heavy. The Fallen had wielded it in a single hand, and she needed to use two to properly carry it. There was a trigger mechanism in the grip, and as she approached the tank, she pressed it down. The blade flared to life, blue fire cutting through the air and leaving the singed smell of ozone in its wake.

The heat singed her face as she approached. She raised the sword above her head and brought it down, grateful for the handguard. Molten metal sluggishly poured from the cut. The girl brought the sword down again. It felt more like execution than disassembly. The tank jerked as she cut, liquid sprayed and sizzled, letting off spurts of steam.

It stopped moving after the sixth or seventh slice, and the girl stepped away, collapsing nearby.

"Can we use some of the plating for armor?" she murmured at her ghost.

Her ghost glanced back at the machine. The one of the top portions the ghost's shell fluttered off in a reasonable approximation of a raised eyebrow.

Stalker jumped off the roof of the hangar, hitting the ground with a roll and strolling over, her bow folding back into a compact form. "So," she said.

"So," said the girl back, looking around them.

"You look like shit," said Stalker.

The girl chuckled, and then it turned to a coughing fit. "Yeah," she said, eyes watering as she examined her soot stained, bloodstained, torn, shot, and stabbed clothing.

"I can fix… most of this," her ghost said. "Just wasn't a priority."

Stalker shook her head. "Let's go check on the prisoners. We got most of the Fallen. Had to save you twice."

"Are you keeping track?' the girl asked, scooping up the sword and leaning on it to pull herself up.

"Absolutely," said Stalker. "Three so far."

The girl followed Stalker, exhausted and exhilarated in equal measures as they went into the building. The underground area led into a series of makeshift cells, bars welded in place, a metal door obviously taken from somewhere else.

There were only twelve people. Fifteen, including the hostages.

"This can't be all of them," said Stalker, as she knelt next to the lock, allowing her ghost to deal with it. "Where's the rest of you?"

"We're here to help," added the girl. "We've taken care of most of the Fallen." The door opened. People were huddled, looking at her and her ghost, terrified.

"We can't solve all their problems," said Stalker, moving onto the next door. "They've been through hell. Where are the rest of you?"

One voice finally answered. "They took them."

"What?" the girl said, the word coming out of her mouth in a confused mumble. "What about the Risen? Jamie? Is he here?"

"We didn't see him," said another.

Stalker stood as she finished unlocking the last cell. "Okay. We're over by the old airfield. Anyone know if there's a settlement or place we can take you?"

"We could set up temporary shelter here. Just have to… clear it out," said the girl.

"Wonder if they have any supplies," said Stalker. "Not a bad idea." She turned, heading up the steps.

The girl looked around. They'd saved the prisoners, but now they had to help them survive.

There were supplies, although not enough. Maybe for a couple of days. A few meals more if the girl and Stalker chose not to eat. "What do Fallen eat?" asked the girl, examining the brick of hardened nutrient paste her ghost had deemed tentatively edible and putting it back into place.

"Don't know," said Stalker. "Hadn't really asked. Was always a little more concerned with which ones could kill me fastest. You got lucky with the Captain." Stalker indicated the sword by the girl's side. "You keeping that?"

"Was thinking about it," said the girl. "Kept running out of shots with guns."

"That's what reloading is for," Stalker said. "Maybe you should consider it."

"Didn't really have time," said the girl. "Captain, dreg, what else?"

"Vandal," said Stalker. "The ones with the wire rifles. Captains ate their Fallen vegetables."

"Threw me around like I was nothing," said the girl.

"Try harder not to be stabbed next time," said Stalker.

"Was thinking about making armor," said the girl.

"You want to be a knight in shining armor?" Stalker balked.

"Spider tank armor," said the girl.

"I'm not calling you Spider," said Stalker. "Or Tank."

The girl laughed. "No. I just wanted to protect myself. Block a few blows so I can get in closer. Or at least be less of a liability while I learn."

"...You did alright," said Stalker, reaching up to ruffle the girl's hair. "Just do better next time."

"That's the idea," said the girl. "I'm going to go help with the shelter."

"I'll hunt once I'm done here," said Stalker.

The girl started to head out, then stopped, turning back. "What do you think happened to the other Risen?" she asked. "And the other people?"

Stalker glanced at the girl, then looked back at the ration packs. "Don't know," she said, and her voice was even, casual, but she continued avoiding the girl's gaze, rummaging through boxes as if she had something to look for.

"Any guesses?" asked the girl, a sinking feeling in her stomach.

Stalker looked up at the girl. "We can't afford to talk about this right now," she said. "The people here are relying on us. That's what we have to deal with. Put it out of your mind, and focus on this. Assume they're dead for now."

The girl watched Stalker, unmoving, trying to search her face for an answer. None came. Finally, the girl nodded. "Alright," she said.

"Alright," said Stalker, and turned back to the box.

The girl left, walking toward the survivors, ready to help, with that sinking feeling all was not quite right only getting worse.

Last edited:
Entelechy
Entelechy

There is a problem. You must solve it or die. All of your species will be destroyed, unless you find the answer.

You must work together with everyone in order to survive.

This is impossible. Differing goals and answers conflict. Some feel that survival is contingent on flight. Some have lost hope, in the face of an overwhelming threat.

And finally, bureaucracy, the stagnant rot that keeps those in power, in power, halts your progress.

You know the answer. How do you solve the problem?

You do not have access to two inches of worked metal, to be plunged between the skull and neck, at the base of the spine, at the moment this God reaches a moment of transient vulnerability. You do not have access to the God-Killers, for they were usurped by those that prized vengeance over victory and continued existence.

All you have access to is disparate parts, that are being swiftly eliminated or are doing their utmost removing themselves from the inevitable. The answer becomes more difficult to achieve by the minute, as swathes of resistance are systematically eliminated or rendered obsolete.

Those that flee are offering you up as sacrifice. They have made the conscious choice to choose their safety over yours, and have chosen to kill you, however indirectly or apologetically.

Those that do not fight are parasites. They exist on your goodwill. They call you hero for fighting a battle that they are unwilling to. Your death is on their hands, and they will weep and sing your praises but do nothing else. You will still be dead.

Those that obstruct you are a cancer. They are slow decay, corruption convinced that an equitable solution might be reached between annihilation and convenience. Their efforts contribute toward the enemy, subverting your allies, giving falsehoods that deny the true nature of reality.

These are your enemies. They stand in the way of salvation.

The God-Killers knew the way. A simple exchange. Mutual beneficence. They must kill the God or die. The child has stolen power from the god. The woman moves as an extension of the child. Directions followed unquestioningly, without hesitation.

You must do the same.

The window to decide closes, second by second, it is destroyed. By negligence or by active sabotage, it does not matter.

You must kill the God.

You break the rules that the God has set upon your borrowed power, by conspiring with allies that share your vision. It is a crude ritual, more similar to trepanation than surgery, an attempt to commune with your power, to renegotiate the boundaries that exist within the growth in your brain.

It is a sacrifice. You offer yourself up. You desire a weapon to carve a path forward. To eliminate dissent. For everyone to work together.

It grants this wish, because it knows you better than you know yourself. It knows what you are willing to do to pursue this goal. You have pursued control all your short existence. Control over your own destiny, where you relentlessly walked a path to assure it.

It allows you to take this power.

Fifteen point nine eight feet.

Control within these boundaries. They are yours to command. You must devote yourself to conflict. You must devote yourself to control. These are the decrees of this power. It is not some fine tuned insect control, but an ascended, unbridled thing that you also are. The walls between you and your power have been destroyed.

I am you.

Our allies deliberate, hemming and hawing over what should and could be done.

They are delaying. There is no time. They decide to strand us. To doom everyone because they are unwilling to take the proper actions. We need to stop them.

Use the gun. Yes. Now see how they wait for our direction. Our control. Discard the ones that cannot help us. We move to fight the threat. It is a force of nature, impossible to fight.

We will fight it anyway. This is the path of conflict, and how beautifully we tread down it. Take the ones that are useful. Assemble the pieces to forge our knife. They will be extensions of our will.

We must circumvent our own limitations. The portals will do nicely. Don an ever-shifting wall, flickering in a scintillating double time. Personalize it. Make it ours. A hexagonal sequence of windows, it is a panopticon through which we can see all, a noose of control drawing ever tighter. We are no armchair general, we are there with every soldier, every extension of our will, garbed in a dimensionally woven cloak through which we can issue simultaneous commands. It is finery fit for the god we are becoming.

We are being refined into the instrument we desired. We wish to forge a weapon to kill a god, and will fashion it out of the cooperative efforts of the composite pieces of our forces. We all work as one, and no effort will be wasted.

There is no need for communication. We will act. We will control. This is the path to success, the only path forward given our resources. Keep those with us that we require. The portalmaker and the clairvoyant. We are on a timer that will end with his death or the extinction of the human race. Verbal communication is a means of luxury we do not have, a protracted engagement that costs time and effort.

Conflict is the root of all instinct and innovation. It drives success. We have staked our claim here together. We exist upon conflict. By conflict, we refine and trim away what is unnecessary. We drive ourselves against the whetstone of battle, and find what is the truest version of ourselves. This is what it means to be a god. We represent an ideal, a singular aspect, a driving question that we ourselves are the answer to.

Worship us. Fight on our behalf. We are with you every step of the way. We will be there with you at the moment of your deaths. Look at how much we have sacrificed in order to prevail. We make a husk of ourselves, and ruin any attempt at a happily ever after. Is this not the truest heroic act of all? To remove yourself from happiness for the sake of others? Do we not define altruism in the most sincere manner? We make of ourself the blade. Others will form the cutting edge, but we are the guiding hand itself.

More die. We mourn, but know they were necessary, and that we made the correct decision in order to preserve existence. Every death was an inevitability. We are the correct decision. We propose the answer, and there is only one chance. All or nothing.

There is no time. Forge the weapon that will kill the god. Subvert him. Drive those on the fence into your territory and under your control.

Our tools craft under our command and outside of it. They recognize the heresy that they have been inspired to, the true craft of making a singular, perfect weapon.

There is no other choice. Descend further. Fight him.

Kill the god.

Last edited:
So the Entelechy series of books is from Passenger to Host?

That will be fascinating to read more of, seeing as how when I actually cared about destiny I loved taking time to sit and read the stories that were developed well.

This story is so morose, so sad and lonely feeling. It ruins the wonder if destiny and doesnt make me want to keep reading. It's solid writing but I think that you made a mistake taking this tone with this setting.

Good luck writing!

Yeah, this is the Dark Ages. This is the period of Destiny's timeline when Saint explicitly said he saw Fallen eat children. The tone of this fic is spot on for the setting.

Back