There Is No Random Button

Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

Somehow, despite living on a completely normal Earth, Jack Cooper managed to trigger with the ability to randomly summon stuff from an ever-growing list of fandom wikis. Unfortunately, his very first summon sent him to Worm.

Really, how unlucky can you get?

Inspired By: Every Wiki Warrior fic I've ever read but more specifically these three:
Wiki Warrior
Life's A Total Crapshoot

Super Randomizer Lux
Spin The Wheel
Last edited:
Chapter 1: This Unlucky Apparently

Redikai

rät
Pronouns
He/Him
Rolls are taken from a number of "Decks". Each Deck has 20 wikis (which I call Traces, I just like it). After rolling a Trace I roll a d20 to determine its strength. Rolled Traces are sent to a new Deck (with a new wiki taking their previous place) and cannot be rolled until that new Deck has been filled up. (This is subject to change)

Rolls from 1-10 are temporary and are enhanced the lower they are. 1-5 last 1 to 16 hours and 5-10 last 1 to 5 days. Power rolls from 11-20 are permanent and stronger the higher they are.

Rolls can't be immediately dangerous to Jack or the world at large, a reroll will be done in those cases. Summoned creatures, sapient or otherwise, follow Jack's commands.

Real people cannot be summoned.

Being chased by goblins through the twisted streets of a disturbing Dr. Seuss town, I only had one thought: how the fuck did this happen? I was having such a normal day! I woke up, went to work, came home, did some reading, and then… everything just burned. The whole apartment building was engulfed in flames. I don't even- it was so random. I thought I was going to die. I was going to die.

Then I got powers.

I didn't know what they were or question how I got them. I didn't have the time. So I just followed my newfound instincts and pulled.

Trace: Worm
Summon: Ellisburg
Result: 20
Description: Ellisburg was a town taken over by the supervillain Nilbog. As such, it is designated as Site Q4.

Effect: Jack is permanently teleported from the real world to Earth Bet, specifically Ellisburg.
(The Trace and result were predetermined, but the location was up to chance.)

And just like that, I was in a new place.

Which leads us to my current situation. Where I'm still going to die, but instead of burning to death, I'm going to be ripped apart and used as biomass for horrific abominations because my power sent me to Ellisburg! From Worm! As in the place where Nillbog lives! The bastard who murdered an entire town and turned the inhabitants into "goblins". A place with biological traps and a town-wide detection system, if I remember canon correctly. Which explains how they found me in seconds.

Seriously, what the fuck? Of all universes, I could've been randomly sent to, why Worm!? The death world, where "it gets worse" is practically the motto! The place with James Bond villains, multiversal conspiracies, monthly kaiju battles, and omnicidal space whales! I can't even teleport away. When I tried-

Trace: Amazing World of Gumball
Summon: Character Guide
Result: 11
Description: This is a list of major and supporting characters that appear in The Amazing World of Gumball.

Effect: The main and supporting cast of The Amazing World of Gumball is permanently summoned.

-what seems like the entire cast of the Amazing World of Gumball appeared instead. Which was shocking, to say the least. All I could do was run after that as a massive brawl broke out.

And really, that's all I could do. Run. Hoping and praying for some sort of miracle as a part of the horde broke off to chase after me. As the monsters closed in on me. As they cut off escape routes. As they corralled me deeper into this demented kingdom. As they slowly and methodically hunted me.

But I can't even run for much longer. My lungs burned, my body ached, I had to stop. I had to do something now, or I was going to die. Gasping for air, I called upon my power again and pulled-

Trace: Legend of Zelda + DanMachi + Steins;Gate
Summon: The Properties Of Warp Holes + Sword Oratoria Light Novel Volume 6 + Science Adventure Series
Result: 9 + 12 + 11 \ 3 = 10
Description:

The Properties Of Warp Holes is a book in the Village Library. It teaches Link how to use Warp Holes.

Sword Oratoria Light Novel Volume 6 is the sixth volume of the Sword Oratoria light novel.

Science Adventure (SciADV, 科学アドベンチャー, 科学ADV, Kagaku Adobenchaa) is a series of visual novels planned by Chiyomaru Shikura and developed by 5pb. Games and MAGES., occasionally in collaboration with Nitroplus. The series, which began with Chaos;Head NoAH in 2009, has spanned six main visual novel entries and several side visual novel entries. The series also consists of other material, such as anime adaptations, light novels, and manga.

Effect: For 5 days, Jack receives The Properties of Swords, a book that teaches the reader how to craft magic swords. Unfortunately, it also contains a lot of unrelated knowledge on magic swords, which makes it hard to learn what the book is trying to teach.

-out a book on how to craft magic swords. Which, while cool, is completely useless right now. Throwing it to the side I tried to ignore my rising dread and pulled again.

Trace: Be More Chill
Summon: Brooke Lohst
Result: 20 (I did not expect to get a nat 20 so soon)
Description: Brooke is the second hottest girl in school. Sweet and a little insecure, she's Chloe's sidekick and always happy to defer to her, although she isn't nearly as driven or dominating. She's small but sassy, and also developed a small crush on Jeremy after meeting him at the mall but this is short-lived after reconnecting with Chloe. She also tends to hide her personality due to her trying to hold on to popularity and being Chloe's best friend.

Effect: Brooke Lohst is permanently summoned to Earth Bet. As this is a 20, this version of Brooke is peak human and has a completely loyal SQUIP.

"What the… where am I?"

A short blonde woman popped into existence.

"Fuck." Just like that, I've dragged someone else into this. Gasping for air I said, "Listen, I-I'm sorry about this, but you need to hide. Now."

Maybe she could tell how serious I was but she didn't argue or even question me. She just immediately ran off somewhere. Just in time, too. Right when she disappeared around the corner, the goblins arrived.

Desperate for any sort of solution, I pulled and pulled.

Trace: Fire Emblem
Summon: Wagasa
Result: 4
Description: The Wagasa is a Lance and a weapon skill in Fire Emblem Heroes. This weapon comes with the inbuilt effect of Chill Defense 3. It can be learned without inheritance by Laegjarn (New Experiences).

Effect: Jack receives the wagsa for 8 hours. When wielded the foe with the highest defense on the enemy team has said defense lowered for a minute.

Trace: Steven Universe
Summon: The Jam Song
Result: 17
Description: "The Jam Song" is a song sung by Connie and Steven at the beginning of "Sworn to the Sword", while having a picnic on the Temple's hand.

Effect: Within a block radius of Jack's current location, The Jam Song will permanently play. Within this radius, violence cannot be initiated or continued. It is also easier for different groups to come together within this field.

I felt a sharp pain in my head as a lance manifested in my hands and music began to play in the air. Which would be the perfect setup for a fight. Except the music was a catchy jingle rather than battle music and I have no idea how to use a lance. Even so, I ignored the pain and, with shaky hands, put the weapon in between me and the goblins.

The BMG may be off, but I'm not going down without a fight.

Knuckles white, I stared down the approaching creatures, waiting for them to make their move. Casually they approached. Laughing and jeering as they surrounded me. And when there was no way for me to escape… nothing happened. They just stood there.

Aren't they going to attack? Are they waiting for some sort of signal?

The goblins were confused too. The goblin's mocking turned to quiet muttering as they noticed the strange situation. And after a few minutes, they were just staring at each other, clearly waiting for someone else to attack first.

Well, this is awkward.

What is going on right now? Was this because of my power? I slowly lowered my lance. But nothing I've pulled should have an effect like this. Unless… the things I summon gain effects? That still doesn't tell me what's causing this. Is it the woman behind me? The lance?

The song? I paused.

Now that I was paying attention I actually recognized the singers. Isn't that Steven and Connie from Steven Universe? It would be… pretty fitting for a song from SU to have the ability to stop fights.

Either way, it doesn't matter what's causing it. I'm just happy I got a break. However short it might end up being. So I guess I should get pulling. There's not much else I can do.

Trace: Adventure Time + Super Mario + Tokyo Ghoul
Summon: Desert Lands + Mario the Juggler + 23rd Ward
Result: 12 + 10 + 13 \ 3 = 11
Description: The Desert Lands is an area north of the Bad Lands in the Land of Ooo. The area is a dry and barren desert that is home to only a few remote settlements. The Desert of Doom seems to cover most of the land, along with several other desert environments.

Mario the Juggler is a Game & Watch system released as part of the New Wide Screen series on October 14, 1991.[1] It is a reworked version of the 1980's Ball, with Mario themes replacing the original's generic juggler and his balls. It was the final Game & Watch ever released until Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros.

The 23rd ward (23区) is the Edogawa ward in Tokyo. Ghouls avoid the 23rd ward due to Cochlea's presence, which is one of the CCG's most valuable assets. Therefore, it is also the setting of all three raids of Cochlea that occurred and houses useful and/or dangerous ghouls from rate C to SSS in its area.

Effect: The five blocks around Jack are permanently converted into World 23. A desert district that contains The Kaizo, a max security prison for koopas. Threat level ranges from normal koopas (Brute 1) up to Bowser (Brute 6). The guards are composed of elite Toad guards.

The ground rippled as the ground turned to sand and the surrounding buildings shuttered as they transformed into ancient stone houses. And to top it all off, a massive sandstone prison popped into existence just down the street.

...Well, it hasn't made things worse.

AN: Welp, I've finally posted this. Fun fact, I started writing this only a few days after the fandom wiki removed the Radom button. What are the odds? So I've been thinking about this one for a while. Originally, I was going to wait until I had a bunch of chapters ready before posting but that's what I always say and so far, I've yet to upload a single fic. So I figured I'd just upload it now and get it over with. On the bright side, the next chapter is mostly done now so it shouldn't take too long to finish.

Anyways, I hope you all enjoyed it! And I'd love to hear any comments, questions, or critiques you all have!

Last edited:
So if I'm reading this correctly, you're first drawing from a limited deck of wikis to decide what you're summoning from as per what's become "the usual" when it comes to multiple wikis in a mechanic. And then once you're done with it, you discard the wiki, and keep going with your increasingly limited pool until all the wikis are discarded and you start over?

So if I'm reading this correctly, you're first drawing from a limited deck of wikis to decide what you're summoning from as per what's become "the usual" when it comes to multiple wikis in a mechanic. And then once you're done with it, you discard the wiki, and keep going with your increasingly limited pool until all the wikis are discarded and you start over?

Sort of but not quite. There's another aspect to it... which I now realize I forgot to write down. Essentially when a wiki is rolled, it's moved from its current Deck (in this case Deck 1) to a new Deck (Deck 2) and can't be rolled until Deck 2 is full. However, and this is what I forgot to mention, a new wiki takes the place of the rolled wiki in Deck 1. So the number of wikis and Decks will go up over time. Though I probably won't keep adding wikis forever which is why I said it was subject to change.

Hope that cleared things up! I'm going to update the rules to make them more clear now... and make them correct.

AN: Welp, I've finally posted this. Fun fact, I started writing this only a few days after the fandom wiki removed the Random button. What are

Actually, if you go to the explore tab the random category is under there. Just so you know. They just kinda shuffle things around for each wiki though.

Good to know. But I'll probably be sticking to using the Special: Random command. Just so that I don't have to spend my time searching for it on each wiki.
If you're using firefox you can highlight and drag the special:random address to your bookmarks bar as a clickable button, then you don't have to type it out all the time.

Last edited:
Chapter 2: Resting In The Jam
After I turned this place into a desert, a couple of things have happened. First, the goblins decided to back off after realizing they couldn't attack me. They stopped about a block away, so I'm guessing that's the range of the song? They haven't done anything yet, but I'm pretty worried. Especially since they might be able to attack me from outside the song's radius.

But there's very little I could do in that case.

I considered going to the castle that popped up, but I'm not sure if it's in the Jam Song's range or not. And even if it is, I'd… rather not get near the goblins. Just in case. So, lacking many viable options, I've been messing around with my power in an attempt to control it. Or at least understand it.

It hasn't been going well.

The first thing I tried was to get a "feel" for my power without actually pulling. Powers are supposed to come with instincts, so I figured that'd be a good place to start. But all I got from that was the vague feeling that I could pull. So, yeah, not very useful.

Afterward, I tried doing a pull while picturing a dragon. I figured, if I had any control over this ability, this would be it. So, imagining the biggest most powerful dragon I could, I pulled.

Trace: RWBY
Summon: Emerald Sustrai/Image Gallery/Volume 2
Result: 10
Description: Emerald Sustrai is a character in RWBY. She was an associate of Cinder Fall and the former partner of Mercury Black. Her weapons of choice are Thief's Respite, a pair of dual revolvers with collapsible sickle blades which can become kusarigamas.

Effect: Emerald Sustrai is summoned for 5 days.

But all I got was Emerald. Don't get me wrong, she's nice, but she isn't a dragon. I made sure to ask. I was kind of hoping she'd secretly be one considering her neon green hair and red eyes, which is just- so fantasy, but no, apparently she's just a normal Huntress. Like from RWBY. Shame I never actually watched the show or I might actually know more about her.

Honestly, I've only managed to learn one thing from my testing so far. Summons must follow my commands. That's it, that's all I've learned. And I figured that out by accident after telling Emerald to calm down!

She was pretty upset about that, by the way. I promised her I'd try not to give her commands.

"Anyways, that's why we're in a desert, surrounded by goblins."

"That's rough buddy." Emerald has been taking things pretty well. Or maybe it's just the "calm down" command. Or maybe I'm overthinking things.

"Yeah… so any ideas? Because all I can think of is to keep pulling until I get something that solves all my problems."

Emerald thought for a moment before answering, "I have a few," she grinned, "but why don't you try yours first. I want to see your power in action!"

"Alright." It's not like it costs me anything. I think. Focusing I pulled-

Trace: FATE
Summon: NPC
Result: 4
Description: NPCs (Non-player character) are virtual life forms existing in SE.RA.PH. The NPCs within the Moon Cell are humanoid virtual lifeforms created to manage the Moon Cell Holy Grail War. They are artificial intelligence configured according to the program, things treated as "functions of programs" and "do not exist as actual beings." They perform only one task, and though they respond with personality, they are nothing more than puppets. They are merely mechanisms for the sake of allowing human lives to progress smoothly, and they are "not there" even when they "are" in front of someone's eyes. They are created from the Moon Cell's records of real humans that have lived in the past, and they simulate the personalities of them.

Effect: Four 8 hours, Jack gains the tinker power to create NPCs as well as Advanced A.I.s (which require souls to create). Threat rating: Tinker 7.

-and felt my mind get flooded with ideas. Knowledge of programming beyond anything I had ever known. The kinds I had only ever read about in high fantasy/sci-fi novels. I could create what are effectively simulated humans. No, I could go beyond that. I could make A.I.s with a soul.

I need a computer now.

"-k."

I have so many ideas!

"-ack."

But where am I going to get a soul from?

"Jack!"

Someone shook me. "Huh? Wha-?"

Emerald was staring at me with concern. "Are you okay? I've been trying to get your attention for like- a minute. You were just standing there. Eyes all glazed over."

"I was…? Sorry- I uh- it uh-"

"Your summon?" Emerald offered.

"Yeah, my summon. It's, uh, it's a Tinker power. Wait, you don't, uhm, those are powers that let people make sci-fi tech. Sorry, about that. I just have so many ideas now. It's... distracting."

Seriously, how do tinkers get anything done like this?

She laughed, but still seemed a bit worried. "That's an understatement… Did it at least come with some super-science solution?"

I thought about it for a moment before shaking my head. "Nah, it's an AI-related power, and, well, I don't have a computer. Not that it would help even if I did."

"Shame. I have my scroll, which is practically a computer, but you're right. An AI won't really help us right now. Do you want to try again or should we just go with my plan?"

"What is your plan?"

Emerald grinned, "I'm going to pick you up like a sack of potatoes, jump over the crowd, and run until I get you out of here."

"What about the others?"

Her smile became more forced. "We'll cross that bridge when we get to it."

"I think I'd rather just keep pulling."

She sighed, "Alright, I guess… we can keep going with your plan for now. But if worse comes to worst, I will just pick you up and run."

"Fair enough." Satisfied with the compromise. I pulled-

Trace: Beyblade + Teen Titans + Minecraft
Summon: List of Pro Series System parts + Markovia + Java Edition 1.1/Development versions
Result: 18 + 8 + 7 = 11
Description:

This is a list of parts included within the Pro Series System, a subsystem of the Burst System.

Markovia is a fictional European country and the home of Terra and her brother Geo-Force.

This is a list of Java Edition 1.1 development versions.

Effect: Jack permanently gains the minor tinker power to create and develop Beyblades with earth elemental abilities. Threat rating: Tinker 1.

-and once again felt my mind expand. But it felt different this time. Besides being much smaller, it also felt… more solid? I understood it more than the AI power. Although maybe that's just because I know what Beyblades are. Specifically terrakinetic Beyblades. Even better, I could already see how to improve them, how to push them forward into something even more fantastic.

I just need to figure out how to stuff an AI into a Beyblade.

But before I could begin mentally drafting, I felt Emerald shake me.

"What? I was… oh." I took a deep breath. "Sorry, that was another tinker power. Don't worry, this one was a lot weaker, so I'm fine."

She raised an eyebrow at me.

"Well, okay, not fine, fine, but fine. It's just that… tinker powers stack, I guess. So I got a little distracted from combining them in my head."

"Well, alright. Did this power grant you a solution?"

I shook my head, "Not without any proper tools. Otherwise, I could split the like the Red Sea. Just like Moses did in that one episode... Anyways, I'm going to try pulling one more time. And if this doesn't work, I guess we'll go with your plan."

Ignoring Emerald's little cheer, I pull-

Trace: Little Nightmares
Summon: Villagers
Result: 19
Description: Villagers (placeholder name) are a group of people that were seen in the first issue of Little Nightmares (comic series).

Effect: A crowd of 100 villagers is summoned. They are all much taller than average. As it's a 19 each villager is now a brute 3.

-and an entire crowd of large, slightly disfigured people appeared. And by large I mean the shortest was at least six feet tall and as wide as two people. The tallest looked like they were eight feet tall! Oh, and they're all carrying pitchforks and torches.

Holy shit, they were rioting. Emphasis on were, looks like the Jam Song's effects are kicking in. That could have been really bad otherwise.

Waiting for the crowd to calm down, I turned to Emerald. "I don't think your plan is going to work now."

If glares could kill.

When the crowd had completely stopped rioting, I began explaining the situation. Their directions were… mixed. At first, they were taking things surprisingly well. You'd think people who were just rioting would be pretty angry about all this. I mean, I kidnapped these people and put all of their lives in danger. But no. The only thing that made them upset was my ability to control them.

Which, fair enough.

Is this because of the Jam Song? If so, then that thing is even more powerful than I thought.

"And that's the situation." I finished.

Seeing that I was done, one of the villagers came out of the crowd. He was an ancient-looking man, tall enough to look me straight in the eyes despite being completely slouched over. He spoke solemnly, "Greetings, Lord Jack, I'm Shaman. Leader of the village. Allow me to begin by sharing what I'm sure is on all of our minds."

I braced myself.

And was taken completely by surprise when he said, "Thank you."

What?

"What?"

I heard people laugh at my dumb response, but I didn't care. I was focused on the old man in front of me.

His tone was lighter now, hopeful even. "I said, thank you. You took us from our destroyed homes, gave us incredible strength, brought us to a new, much brighter world, and you are even keeping us safe from beasts through the power of your song. That's more than we've ever had."

"B-but you wouldn't be in danger if it wasn't for me. And besides, I already said the song might not be permanent. And what about my control over you?"

He shook his head. "We will prepare for the possibility that the song will go down and begin creating fortifications from the stone houses. As for your control…" He smiled. "We will simply have to trust that you won't abuse it."

I quickly nodded, "Right. I'll try, I mean, I won't let you down. But are you sure you're all fine with this? I-"

This time, Emerald cut me off. "Just accept it, Jack. Besides, it's not like you aren't a victim here too. I mean, you didn't choose to be here either, right? So stop worrying about it. Let's just do our best and get through this."

"Yeah… I guess you're right. I still feel bad, though."

Shaman added, "Then make it up to us by helping with those fortifications."

"Alright!"

Nodding, the old man continued. "You heard what I said everybody, let's get to work!"

But right before anyone could begin, the sound of trumpets filled the air. Turning to the source, we all watched as the crowd of Goblins parted. They all cheered as a large bloated man sauntered through. His body was covered in patchwork clothing patterned with stripes and checkers. A crown resting on his head.

The Goblin King, Nilbog, has arrived.

AN: I got this done way faster than I had expected. I was just so motivated from receiving any interaction that I actually finished this last night. I was just editing it until now. Although, don't expect the next chapter to come out nearly as fast. As I said, this chapter was already mostly done.

So, what did you guys think of the chapter? I'll admit, I'm a bit nervous about this one. It ended up a lot more dialog-heavy than I had initially planned and I always feel like there's something off with my dialog. I was hoping to get a roll that would move things forward but, the whim of the dice and all that.

Anyways, I hope you all enjoyed it! And I'd love to hear any comments, questions, or critiques you all have!

Last edited:
Now we just need to gather up the Amazing world of Gumball survivors, whether their nature as Cartoon characters makes them unkillable is also in question.

Then set up base inside the Koopa Prison, have Emerald Unlock Jacks Aura, if she can, proceed to empower all of his minions with Aura and have them gather stuff for his Tinkering.

Oh and maybe find the peak human girl with the AI thing in her head.

Though you might be able to supplement the Soul requirements for the FATE NPC's by using a combination of two peoples Aura

I can't see how this could possibly go wrong, no siree...

This is an unusual idea and well written. I will look forward to the next part with interest.

Thank you for writing for us.

P.s. I hope the main character will save those whom he called earlier asap/

Last edited:
Wait a sec, does that mean he would be able to build a kickass possibly earth aligned AI-Bitbeast fusion?

Yep! Although, the AI would be completely trapped in the Beyblade, unlike most Bitbeasts (according to the wiki).

Well, the that is one he'll of a weird place to get dropped into worm.

You're telling me! When I rolled Ellisburg I was honestly tempted to roll again. But the whole point is the randomness, right? So I'm doing my best to work with it.

Does the prison contain any prisoners? Or is it empty?

It has prisoners. How many and how strong is a bit of a spoiler though.

Now we just need to gather up the Amazing world of Gumball survivors, whether their nature as Cartoon characters makes them unkillable is also in question.

Then set up base inside the Koopa Prison, have Emerald Unlock Jacks Aura, if she can, proceed to empower all of his minions with Aura and have them gather stuff for his Tinkering.

Oh and maybe find the peak human girl with the AI thing in her head.

Though you might be able to supplement the Soul requirements for the FATE NPC's by using a combination of two peoples Aura

I can't see how this could possibly go wrong, no siree...

Deciding whether or not the AWoG characters had all of their cartoon physics or not was a pretty tough decision. I've landed somewhere in the middle.

As for the other stuff... I guess you'll just have to wait and see!

This is an unusual idea and well written. I will look forward to the next part with interest.

Thank you for writing for us.

P.s. I hope the main character will save those whom he called earlier asap/

You're welcome! And, yeah, saving everyone he's summoned is a pretty big deal for Jack so he'll definitely try. Although he should probably focus on saving himself first.

Well, I can only imagine what the people watching Ellisburg are thinking right now. Aside from flipping out that is.

Plus I'm pretty sure that all of the Gumball characters survived, since once Nicole gets going it's hard to stop her. Especially if they tried going after the kids first. Not to mention the two T-Rex's being bigger then everything else...

Chapter 3: Cartoons Are Scary
Strutting forward, Nilbog stopped. Right at the edge of the song. The incessant cheering grew as if his every movement was a divine act.

Maybe it was to them.

Ignoring the cheers, he raised a hand. The crowd went silent.

After making sure everything was quiet, he shouted. "Summoner! I'm Nilbog, God-King of Goblins and Lord of the Garden of Eden! I wish to parley!"

That made me blink. He wants to… talk? I was not expecting that. I mean, I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't that. Why does he even want to talk? Doesn't he have all the cards here? Were trapped. He could probably just wait until we all starve.

Unless I summon something. Is this a trap then? Is Nilbog even the kind of guy to make a trap like this? I don't think so. But I'm not sure.

Dammit, this is what I get for never reading Worm.

Uncertain I turned towards Emerald and Shaman for advice. "What do you guys think, should I? It could be a trap."

Emerald answered first, "I don't think it is. Why would they even bother? If they really wanted us dead, they'd just attack us from outside the song's area."

"I agree with Lady Emerald. In addition, I believe it would be foolish to not try to reach a peaceful resolution."

"And if it is a trap?"

Emerald laughed, "Then I'll make them regret it. Don't forget, I'm a Huntress."

Shaman added, "We can bring members of the village militia as well. They are likely not as well-trained as Lady Emerald, but our newfound strength should make up for it."

"Then I guess it's settled. As soon as you gather the militia, we'll head out."

"As you command, Lord Jack." Giving a slight bow, Shaman went off into the crowd.

Once he was out of sight, Emerald spoke up. "You know, it's a bit weird how he keeps calling us Lord and Lady."

I shrug, "Maybe it's a cultural thing?" It honestly might be considering I have no idea what, if any, series Shaman is from, but I doubt it.

"Maybe…" She doesn't seem convinced either.

Not knowing what else to say, we waited in silence until Shaman came back with his people. He only brought two dozen of them, but they're all huge! As in, even by villager standards. Not one is under seven feet tall, and the one standing at Shaman's side is actually the eight-foot guy I noticed before.

"We're ready, Lord Jack."

"Then there's no reason to delay. Let's go."

With Shaman on my left, Emerald on my right, and a dozen villagers behind us, we began our short trek through the golden sands of my desert. Slowly making our way towards Nilbog and his goblins.

And it was in this short walk, that the reality of my situation finally dawned on me.

I really almost died. I really was in Worm. I really am walking towards an honest-to-god, supervillain. Someone who murdered an entire town and turned them into monsters. Someone who wanted to talk to me about who knows what.

I almost laughed at the horrific absurdity of it all.

But I couldn't, not now. So, ignoring my shaking, the sudden realization, everything, I focused on Nilbog. We finally reached him. Stopping well out of arm's reach, I took the initiative.

"Alright Nilbog, I'm here. What do you want?"

He did not like that.

Screaming Nilbog answered, "What do I want!? I want you out of my kingdom! I want your damn army to stop attacking my children! I want you to get rid of your stupid castle! I want a lot of things! My question is, what do you want?"

I was completely taken aback. Were the Gumball characters causing that many problems for him? If that's the case- "I just want to leave."

He interrupted me before I could continue. "Then get out! Teleport back to where you came from!"

"Uh, I can't."

He was getting apocalyptic "Why the fuck not!?"

Seeing how quickly things were devolving, Shaman jumped in. "Your Grace, please have mercy! Allow Lord Jack to explain. I'm sure you will find that this has all been one big misunderstanding. He truly did not mean to cause you trouble." He finished by bowing so deeply his face was almost buried in the ground.

Maybe it was the groveling or… no, it was probably the groveling, but Nilbog calmed down a bit.

Grumbling, he said, "Fine. Explain yourself, Jack."

Throat dry, I continued. "Yes, uh. Shaman is exactly correct. You see, I was brought here against my will. So I can't just teleport away. However, if you give me and my subjects safe passage, we will get out of your hair as quickly as possible- Your Grace." hastily adding that last part.

Hearing this, Nilbog instantly became ecstatic. "If that's all you want, fine. I grant you all safe passage."

"Thank you, Your Grace."

"On one condition!" He quickly added. "I get to keep all of the creatures I've captured."

I felt my stomach drop.

Nilbog continued, "That's fair, right? You kill my children, I get your people as compensation. Honestly, I'm being very generous. Just command your remaining troops to stand down, and I'll let you all go."

"... How many have you captured?"

"Jack!" Emerald whisper-yelled. "You're not actually considering it... are you?"

I stayed silent.

Nilbog ignored Emerald's interruption and answered, "Let me show you." He snapped his fingers.

After he did so, nearly thirty goblins came out of the crowd, each one holding the limo bodies of a character- a person, I had summoned from The Amazing World of Gumball. And they are people. Despite their strange appearances, despite the fact that some are literal cans of soda, they're people.

People whose lives are in my hands.

"Fortunately for you, quite a few got away. I only managed to grab twenty-seven of them. They're actually pretty tough y'know? Why I was thinking…" Ignoring him I tried to decide.

Twenty-seven. All things considered, that's a fairly low amount. How many people have I summoned by now? It has to be more than two hundred by now. Could I put all of their lives at risk for a mere twenty-seven people?

Did I have a choice?

How am I supposed to save them? Do a pull? That's just as likely to make things worse as it is better. Fight? We're outnumbered one-hundred to one. And that's being generous. Unless I pull something super powerful, there's no way we can beat them. We'll get slaughtered.

Is that it?

I have to sacrifice them?

Helpless, I was about to accept Nilbog's deal.

Until I saw Gumball.

Not in the arms of one of the goblins, but in the distance, standing on the roof of an untransformed building. He was wildly gesturing at me. Surprised, I looked back at Nilbog to see if he noticed what was happening. ...But he didn't react at all. Nor did the two small goblins standing by his side. He just continued complaining about how hard the toons were to catch as if nothing was going on. Are they that oblivious?

Emerald's wink seemed to say otherwise.

I have no idea what she's doing but I appreciate it. Focusing on Gumball I tried to decipher what he was telling me. Before immediately giving up, it was incomprehensible. Face palming Gumball vanished from view before coming back with a giant sign. "Hector + Everyone is coming".

It took me a moment to realize what that meant. But when I did, couldn't help but laugh when I

"Get ready guys. This is about to get ugly."

Just as I said that there was a flash of light behind the wall of goblins that surrounded us. And from the light appeared a giant, fifty-foot-tall gorilla-like being. Only with orange fur that looked like it had a purple gradient on it.

"What the hell?!" Oh, Nilbog noticed the flash.

I just couldn't help myself.

Grinning, I answered, "That's Hector."

Not just him either. Dropping from the hair on Hector's legs was everyone else. Dressed in war paint and wielding makeshift weapons, the citizens of Elmore were armed for war. And leading them, from the back of a T. rex, was… that random blonde girl I summoned? How did that happen?

Nilbog was still in shock. "Dammit! Why did they come back!?" Glaring at me, he screamed. "You! This is all your fault! I'll kill-"

He didn't have time to finish. Because right then and there, the girl shouted, "CHARGE!"

A lot of things happened all at once, then.

Firstly, Hector ran forward, his shadow covering the field as he crushed any goblin unlucky enough to be in his way. The chaos his steps left behind became an opportunity for those following behind him. And follow they did. Like a whirlwind of destruction, the citizens of Elmore began their rampage. Energy bolts rained from the sky, missiles exploded in all directions, and a brutal melee of teeth, fists, weapons arose.

It was horrifying.

On our side, things weren't much better. As soon as the fighting started, Emerald threw me, like, ten feet back. I would have been upset if there wasn't acid covering the area where I'd been standing. Yelling at me to retreat she jumped straight into the fray herself. Practically dancing around the goblins as she was shot and stabbed her way straight toward Nilbog.

If the goblins weren't literally throwing themselves in her way, she already would've gotten him.

Shaman was already directing his men to defend us as he called for reinforcements to help Emerald.

As for what I did? Well, after recovering from my brief flight, I took Emerald's advice and started running away! Seriously, I've never even been in a real fight before. I doubt I'd be any help even with more combat-focused powers, much less my random one. Not that that stopped me from trying. Even as I ran, I started pulling.

Trace: Gravity Falls
Summon: Unnamed big-chinned man/Gallery
Result: 7
Description: The big-chinned man is a resident of Gravity Falls, Oregon.

Effect: The big-chinned man, henceforth known as Billy Chin is summoned for 2 days.

Sprinting past the man that suddenly appeared I yelled, "If you think you can, go help them! If not, run."

He chose to do the latter.

Pulling again I-

Trace: Bioshock
Summon: Scavenger Hunt
Result: 16
Description: Scavenger Hunt is an Achievement/Trophy in BioShock Infinite. The Achievement is worth 75 Gamerscore and the Trophy is gold. "Description: Complete the game in 1999 Mode without purchasing anything from a Dollar Bill vending machine."
The Achievement/Trophy is named Scavenger Hunt, due to the fact that the player will have to scavenge for supplies.

Effect: Jack permanently gains the passive Thinker ability to find items he needs. Threat Rating: Thinker 3.

-came to a stop as I felt a new sense appear in the back of my head. It's strange. Like someone put a compass in my brain. … A compass in my head pointing behind me. Spinning around in a panic thinking it might be some sort of danger sense, I frantically looked for what could be the source.

Calming down, I realized it was actually pointing towards the prison.

Is there something important in there? I debated for a second. On the one hand, continuing to run away is the smartest choice. It's safer, gets me away from the goblins, and means I won't get in anyone's way. On the other hand, my mysterious power is telling me to go there.

Well, no one's ever accused me of being smart.

Now running towards the prison, and therefore closer to the goblins, I pulled again.

Trace: Overwatch + Be More Chill + My Hero Academia
Summon: Sydney Harbour Area + The Squip Enters + Emi Fukukado/Relationships
Result: 3 + 5 + 19 / 3 = 9
Description:
Sydney Harbour Arena is a seasonal map in Overwatch. It is an enclosed soccer stadium used for matches of Lúcioball.

A song from the musical Be More Chill.

Emi Fukukado (福ふく門かど笑えみ Fukukado Emi?), also known as Smile Hero: Ms. Joke (スマイルヒーロー Msミス.ジョーク Sumairu Hīrō Misu Jōku?), is a Pro Hero and a teacher of second year, Class 2 at Ketsubutsu Academy High School.

Effect: Emi Fukukado is summoned for 4 days. As it's a triple she also gains two minor powers. The Tinker power to create harbor-like soccer stadiums and a Thinker ability related to making an entrance.

First Deck Completion Bonus!
Complete 3 more decks for the next freebie!
Trace: The Sims
Summon: Skill
Result: 20
Description: Skills are talents that Sims need in their everyday life and to advance in their working career.

Effect: Jack gains the ability to check the name and skills of his summons as well as see any skill he gives them or others.
(The result and summon were predetermined, but Trace was left up to chance.)

When I did, a green-haired lady with strange clothes appeared in front of me. Which makes this the second time today. Which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it's happened twice.

Even weirder, however, was the fact that I felt an extra summon happen. One which I had no control over. When it was complete, I felt yet another change in my head. But instead of a new sense, it was more like an expansion to my ability to pull.

One I used almost instinctually upon seeing my summon. I pulled on her and-

Emi Fukukado - Ms. Joke

Quirk: Outburst
Comedy
Hero Training
Hand-to-Hand Combat
Tinker: Harbor Stadiums
Thinker: Entrances
Temporary

-a bunch of information flooded my mind. Huh, that's useful. I'll definitely mess around with that later. Y'know, when I'm not in an active war zone. So, instead of focusing on that, I turned my attention towards the guarded greenette who I now know is from My Hero Academia.

"Hey, I know this is probably really confusing, and I promise I'll explain later, but we really need help."

Emi just stared at me with open confusion in her eyes.

"Nani o itte iru?"

She doesn't know English.

Dammit.

Now what? I can't even command her to help or hide if she doesn't understand me. ... Can I? Now that I think about it, why would my power give me the power to control my summons and then give me summons I can't control? I mean, it's worth a shot, isn't it?

"Ms. Joke, please help us."

This time, her eyes widened in recognition. Giving me a firm nod, she ran off into the crowd.

Leaving her and the growing sound of laughter behind me, I finally reached the prison. Passing through the fence and down a short path, I reached the entrance. I could feel it —whatever my power was pushing me towards was right inside.

I hope this is worth it.

Swinging open the doors, I-

"Put your hand in the air!"

-freeze.

Surrounding the entrance were a bunch of, heavily armed, Toads from Mario. They were dressed in trench coats.

It might've been funny if they weren't pointing their guns at me.

"Please don't shoot. I can explain."

AN: I'll be honest, this chapter was tough. I actually ended up rewriting because it just wasn't coming out how I wanted it. Especially the "negotiations" with Nilbog, that was just a pain. I just couldn't quite figure out how I wanted him to act so he ended up a little all over the place. Which I guess is technically fitting. What did you guys think of the chapter? I'm fairly happy with how it turned out in the end.

Last edited:
Wait. Toads have guns?!?! Are these like realistic guns or the cartooony ones?

Okay, I think you're underestimating Nihlbog here.
He is an S-class threat. That means he would automatically require all three Triumvirate members to drop everything to deal with him, unless they were already dealing with an S-class threat.

Nihlbog is left alone because he isn't a biotinker, not really. Sure, he can create things, and said creations can be tailored to suit his needs, but that's part of what a trump can do. Yes, Bonesaw is scary, but is fundamentally limited by the rules of Tinkertech, and her specialty. Nihlbog isn't, and so his 'precautions' can't be countered through simple means like bonesaw's.

Dealing with him requires either a bunch of exotic effects and a lot of luck, or a good enough Thinker to tell you exactly what would get around his deadman's switches. And the U.S's Thinkers tried the latter, and failed.

He doesn't just make random goblins.

Okay, I think you're underestimating Nihlbog here.
He is an S-class threat. That means he would automatically require all three Triumvirate members to drop everything to deal with him, unless they were already dealing with an S-class threat.
Nilbog is an S-class threat yes, but the combined forces that's been summoned so far, are enough to be a significant fragment of what's needed for an Endbringer battle, and the Endbringers are exponentially worse than Nilbog.

And it's not like Nilbog is getting curbstomped, he's just not instantly winning, and so is slowly losing, as the summon army is constantly getting reinforcements, while his army isn't.

Man, I wonder who is in the Prison? The Koopalings perhaps? Maybe some of the Koopas that guarded the castles in Mario 1? I don't dare to hope The Big Lizard himself is there, though what to do with him after Nilbog is driven off/defeated would be interesting...

Back