There Are Only Three Levels

If you got in a fight with someone over a clash of ideals, what would you do next time you saw them?

• Apologize and try to make amends

Votes: 28 6.6%
  • Mock them to prove the folly of their beliefs

Votes: 26 6.1%
  • Give them the silent treatment

Votes: 33 7.8%
  • Be respectful but remain firm in your ideals

Votes: 290 68.6%
  • Punch them in the face on sight

Votes: 46 10.9%

• Total voters
Voting is open
It deals lots of damage, but it's not very heavy, so it wouldn't make a very good pin.

...Look, if we treated every ordinary fight like an ordinary fight this would be a very boring quest.

(Sing: 9) You try to serenade your way into the door's heart. Unfortunately, this world's Retroactive Ontology means that, because this door did not fall off its hinges to your song, now it never will and never would have in the first place, and you are/were/always would have been mistaken for thinking it could. You'll have to try something else if you want the door.
We weren't able to open a locked door with song? I guess we were off-key. :D

Status report: my real life has grown very strange and confusing lately. I'm still learning how to deal with this. Luckily, I've got Runa and others to help me out with stuff as I grow and learn.

Ever watch Mob Psycho 100? It's a good show. That's all I'm gonna say.
Clearly, either carni or Runa has developed psychic powers, and the other one started an exorcism business so they could use those powers to pay rent.

Clearly, either carni or Runa has developed psychic powers, and the other one started an exorcism business so they could use those powers to pay rent.
It's the only explanation.

Well, considering the mention of headaches and nothing else, the business to exploit psychic powers may not have been created just yet, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time. : )

But are the headaches from Carni practicing her new powers or from Runa practicing her new powers on Carni?

Ontological, adjective. Relating to the branch of metaphysics dealing with the nature of being, one of the most irritating branches of philosophy not invented by Ayn Rand.

Terraformer, noun. Something that transforms an area or planet so as to resemble the earth, especially so that it can support human life. Colloquially, someone from another world doing the reverse to Earth, even though that should really have a different prefix.

So it sounds like something that changes metaphysics in an area to make it more amenable to some kind of thing that is capable of changing metaphysics. I really hope this isn't related to carni's strange and confusing real life, because that sounds pretty bad...

Ontological, adjective. Relating to the branch of metaphysics dealing with the nature of being, one of the most irritating branches of philosophy not invented by Ayn Rand.

Terraformer, noun. Something that transforms an area or planet so as to resemble the earth, especially so that it can support human life. Colloquially, someone from another world doing the reverse to Earth, even though that should really have a different prefix.

So it sounds like something that changes metaphysics in an area to make it more amenable to some kind of thing that is capable of changing metaphysics. I really hope this isn't related to carni's strange and confusing real life, because that sounds pretty bad...
Sounds kinda like what the System did to OTL's world. Just a thought.

The backend
[x] use the sign to pin the gororo in place while your allies assault its person.
[X] Slide the Gororo off of your feet, ouch.
-[X] Maybe try tossing it in lava and then running away.

(Dumb fighter strength: 13+4 CARRY) Estelle lifts the level two Gororo atop her head like a badass and throws him in the lava. He starts to sink (and thus join Brororo in the Great Gororo Garden in the Sky).

(Pin: 5) It appears you did not need the sign at all.

Sometimes you forget that not everyone is aware of how this ruleset works on the backend. It's something Lori devised to maintain "challenge, stakes, and drama." Any remotely difficult action now has a decent chance to fail by default, but when it does, it will appear to have been something you were doing wrong in the first place, so you naturally come to the conclusion that you simply botched it. In fact, the results were pre-determined by "rolls" all along.

It's impressive how much of society managed to hold up even after people realized they could no longer take long streaks of success for granted. And, really, what's a few smashed pianos during recitals in the grand scheme of things? Natural ones make the world a funnier place, after all.

[] What will you do? (Write-In)

Last edited:
[X] Explain the rolls to Estelle. She knows you're a part of this already, and it's important.

I'm sure we've all forgotten most of what we were trying to do before the hiatus, so allow me to remind you of the most pressing, critical task we have at hand:
[X] Take the Bar & Grill sign, then ironically grill it.

...Runa's idea is also good.
[X] Explain the rolls to Estelle. She knows you're a part of this already, and it's important.

[X] Take the Bar & Grill sign, then grill it ironically.

I see a cheesy post, I vote.

...Wouldn't natural 20's let society create ridiculous super techs too, though? A scientist only needs to succeed once, so on average you only need twenty scientists to attempt making superconductors and so on and so forth.

My first response, so I hope i'm doing this right, but I agree! It's important to eat up while the eatings good :)

Woo it's back! Can't wait for more!
Also what Mary said about the rolls is interesting and pretty terrifying to think about.

...Wouldn't natural 20's let society create ridiculous super techs too, though? A scientist only needs to succeed once, so on average you only need twenty scientists to attempt making superconductors and so on and so forth.
Sure, but only if they know that's a thing. Unusual failure and the general unreliability of competence will be noticed fairly quickly. Unusual success requires people to be trying to do things they don't really know how to do - even though they know that they can't trust themselves to be able to do even those things they know backwards and forwards.

Voting is open
Back