The Shadowrun Thread! For All Your Shadowrun Needs!

I managed to hug the depression out of her, and I hear that in Director's cut it's possible for her to get redeemed and get healing spells.
It's true. The Director's Cut has character missions for your squad, except for Dietrich because he's the only one who has his life together. You get to convince Glory how to finish her mission and redeeming is one of the options. Alternatively you can convince her to turn evil.

It's true. The Director's Cut has character missions for your squad, except for Dietrich because he's the only one who has his life together. You get to convince Glory how to finish her mission and redeeming is one of the options. Alternatively you can convince her to turn evil.
I think I managed to get her possessed by Satan.

Aside from the already mentioned fire claws, it also seems to give the people who wanted her as their official waifu some small hope in that regard as she smiles a lot, and seems to imply she's going to be with you for quite a while, no matter what happens. Some chose to see this as her eventually wanting to start up her own cult with you.

Aside from the already mentioned fire claws, it also seems to give the people who wanted her as their official waifu some small hope in that regard as she smiles a lot, and seems to imply she's going to be with you for quite a while, no matter what happens. Some chose to see this as her eventually wanting to start up her own cult with you.
Cyberwaifu go yan yan and filled with the devil's love. Wants to fill you the same way?

Pretty much.

What with having a Hellhound already on my character's side, I can't see a way this could possibly go wrong.

:V

Also, I sincerely hope the endings are going to be shown off better in the Hong Kong game, because I really wished we had more visual aid to show off what siding with Vauclair did to the world as a whole. Not that I minded the text, it was quite adequate.

...I've noticed that my biggest problem with playing the Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall variants is 'Grass is Greener' syndrome. If I'm doing a mage, I want to be a street sam. if I'm a street sam, I want to be a decker. If I'm a decker, I wish I was a mage. Etc etc.

Siiiiigh. Guess it's time to reroll as a Decker/Gunner again.

I guess the only solution is to cheat like crazy so I can have /all the karmas/. :D

Oh, and *GOOSEHONK* the Black Lodge.

Jerks.

-_-

Edit: *looks at sheer number of saved campaigns* *hangs head* I think I have an alt-itis problem. ._.

Last edited:
To cut a long story short, I'm currently preparing a Street Level 5th ed. Shadowrun game. The basic plot/background is that it's a new team of runners taking on their first 'real' job, which is a fairly basic BNE. Also, Street Level characters really fit the plot/mood I'd like to have. A bit more into the cyberpunk side, than the magic side....

We've come up against a minor problem. That is, that the rules for Street Level starting characters seem to heavily favour technomancers or the Awakened who have inate powers, rather than people who rely on their shiny gear, like riggers, sammies, or deckers.

I've got two options:

Use the Street Scum campaign option, with CCDDE priority levels to limit resources. I'm not keen on this option, because it also limits attributes and edge aswell - which might really cripple some characters. It also cuts Trolls out of the game.

Up the starting cash by a curve, to 105k, 65l, 30k, 16.5k and 6k, which makes more sense to me but might feel like too much of a gimme to everyone. It seems like an easy way out. But it's also probably the easiest way to do it.

Personally, I'm in favour of letting the cash restriction stand. I like that it forces some characters - especially deckers - to come across as a bit 'obsessive'. A Street Level decker's entire life will revolve around protecting that valuable thing they spent 50,000Y on, and probably went without meals for just to scrap the cash together. The would-be Street Sam isn't quite at the point of being able to afford the chrome yet, but his prize possession might be a Katana. I like the idea of the players really feeling like underdogs. It's my preference, but I don't want to slam it on people's heads if they don't want to play that hard.

Has anyone else run a Street Level game? What did you do for balance, and how did it work out?

To add complexity, it's the first game I've ever run. Because it's about the only way I'd get to play Shadowrun.

Problem, I see is that favoring these characters is thematic point of the chosen play style. They are all about innate power and superiority, with shining toys changing the balance in the 6th world and the street focus is in part lack of such shining toys/cash to buy them, therefore thematically, they are supposed to be superior and what should limit them is rarity, which is kinda not option.

Possible answer is to bite the bullet accept it and either limit these chars as rare and make them focus of the group thinking, or bite the bullet the other way and be willing to drop the needed shiny toys as storyteller convenience, when the disparity gets bad, you can even add cool story to that.

I understand that, but I don't exactly want to be a controlling bastard either. The last this I want to do is 'Zis is ZE Scenario unt ve vill all be having the fun by folowink the railroad trecks I hev meticulusly laid for hyu!".

you can even add cool story to that.

I like this. You can use the higher values, but if you buy expensive kit (>25,000), I'd like a story of where it came from. Because having something *that* pricey in the streets is bound to be an interesting story.

Speaking of whiz,Zis is Ze Scenario I have so far. Basic, but hey, my first time. Literally just an outline. Where I want to go, where I start from, and short points about getting there.

Speaking of whiz,Zis is Ze Scenario I have so far. Basic, but hey, my first time. Literally just an outline. Where I want to go, where I start from, and short points about getting there.
My thoughts and I am looking at it from storytelling perspective: It works and is a serviceable adventure, but it does not have feel of a screwjob, the "real runners" have negative interest in PC succeeding and should make sure, they fail, possibly by a tip off,(There is an idea of shiny with interesting additions give to the PCs) which would send somewhat decent force against PC, which should interact with them either after they nab the goods or before in accordance of how well they do. PC should know, they were set up, provided by short dialogue by the response team.

Last edited:
I saw this thread and got so excited I put my mirrorshades on.:cool: Then I saw most people are talking about the computer games.:(

The ADL/AGS makes no bloody sense :(
We're talking about the same game, right? The one where cyberzombie orcs shoot dragons in the face with rocket launchers and there are enough Native Americans in the US to form multiple countries? Sense got tossed out the window by a troll adept and eaten by a ghoul a while ago.

I saw this thread and got so excited I put my mirrorshades on.:cool: Then I saw most people are talking about the computer games.:(
REJOICE, PKRUDEBOY! YOUR MIRRORSHADED PRAYERS SHALL BE ANSWERED!
/kotomine

For I am about to chatter about the actual Tabletop a bit.

Anyhow!

On a whim, I picked up Run Faster, the 5E Runner's Companion equivalent (I think. The one with the alternate metavariants and all anyways) and have been reading through it. I rather like it, since it offers something that always makes me happy: Lifepath chargen.

Oh, and also karma gen rules for 5E. As well as a new (to me) system called spend to Ten, which is also interesting.

Life Path is a variant of Karmagen. I rather like it, because even if you lose some meta min-max a little (I guess, I haven't done all the MAAAAAAAAATHS yet, and the module packs do give you some discounts, apparently, according to the book, since a 'Standard' 5E Point/Karmabuy is 800, and Lifepath is 750 due to said discounts), it does give a little more, eh, organic character instead of Terribly Optimized Murderbeast.

So, lemme lay down how Life Path works by rolling up an example character.
Step 1: Choose your metatype. And hoooo boy, there be a lot of metatype, it includes the variants and the infested and the changelings etc etc. Example: Human, 0 karma.

Step 2: Choose your nationality. They focus on North American ones, but, eh, them's the breaks, and they're pretty easy to swap about. Generally give a primary language, a secondary language you know a bit of (sometimes), a quality or two, some assorted skills and occasionally a stat point or two. Costs 15 karma. Example: General CAS citizen. Gives you +1 Charisma, +2 Computer skill, Etiquette +1, Knowledge: History +1, Knowledge: CAS +1, and the SINner quality at the 5 points value.

And yes, one of the options there IS SINless. :D

Step 3: Choose Life Module 1 (Formative Years). This covers your character's life up until about age 10 or so, and costs 40 karma. Example: Military Brat. Gives you (Strength +1, Reaction +1, Uncouth (14). Close Combat Skill Group +2, Negotiation +1, Perception +1, Professional Knoweldge: Military +3, Interest Knowledge: Military History +2.

Step 4: Choose Life Module 2 (Teen Years). This covers your character's teen years up to age 17, and they all cost 50 karma. So, the example PC I rolled up for fun last night chose Military School (+1 Body, +1 Charisma, Military Rank (5), Code of Honor (15), Blades +1, Electronics skill group +1, Firearms skill group +1, First Aid +1, Leadership +1, Unarmed Combat +1, Running +1, Swimming +1, Professional Knowledge: Military +3, Academic Knowledge: Military History +3, Academic Knowledge: [Any] +1, Professional Knowledge: Strategy +1)

Now, here, you can
-Choose a Further Education module (College of varying levels, with majors and everything.) (Varying costs, 2 or 4 years of education, making your character 19 or 21 and ready to either then buy a Real Life Module or move onto Shadowrunning)
-Choose a Real Life/Career Module (Cost 100 karma, generally 4 or 5 years in the career. Also, you can't 'stack' a module and take it 2x)
-Call the character done and spend your karma willy nilly, although the setting does seem to recommend at least one more Life Module choice. Still, hey, if you're a young Ganger getting into Shadowrunning at age 17, well, there you go...

Step 5: Life Module choice 3 is pretty much your character's starting profession before they became a Shadowrunner. These cost 100 karma each, and you can take more than one, as long as you have the karma to cover it. Each takes So, for the example PC, who, by the by, I decided was a Wolf-totemed Shaman with a strong military background, signed up with the CAS Mage Corps for a Tour of Duty. This gives Wolfman (I need a shorthand for the example character, and he is a Wolf Shaman) Body +1, Reaction +1, Strength +1, SINner (5), Firearms skill group +1. First Aid +1, Navigation +1, Unarmed Combat +1, Professional Knowledge: Military +4, Assensing +2, Conjuring skill group +1, Perception +1, Sorcery skill group +1.

Of note, you can't take an active skill above Rank 7 or a Knowledge Skill above Rank 9 via buying life modules, so you do reach a point of diminishing returns eventually. However, if you do get free ranks around that aren't skill group increases (IE, you end up with +8 blades), you max it at +7 and can then allocate the extra point to another skill that links to the same attribute.

So, at this point, Wolfman is ready to finish his normal karma gen, but has a rather more organically grown skillset, I think.

Of note, 'Rank' is a new quality they added in there that can be applied to many walks of life. So, Wolfman, having gotten 5 points of Rank going into his Tour of Duty, he's an NCO and finishes up as a CAS Lance Corporal. If he had purchased up Rank a bit, he'd have been a Sergeant or Sgt. Major. if he'd gone to Military Academy, he'd have gone into the CAS army as an Office,r not an NCO.

He's supposed to be on the reserve lists for 3 years, but, well, Shadowrunning is a lot more lucrative...

At this point, Wolfman's spent 235 Karma (Magician costs 30 karma) and has 515 karma left to buy up stats, increase skills, money, contacts, and qualities. Not bad, and I'll happily give up a bit of min-maxing for a more balanced, organic character with plot hooks built in for explaining things.

IE, contacts? Obviously, old friends from his school, a military buddy, the slightly corrupt Quartermaster who's willing to let things fall off a truck if some favors are done for him to get him things he can't easily get to sell to the guys in the service, a friend or acquaintance of his old CO who's a Fixer, etc etc etc.

Also, Rank. Mentioned it earlier. This is a new quality, so I'm just pasting it in here in its entireity.
RANK - Rank is the way most organizations or institutions determine leadership and responsibility among their staff or members. Although it's usually associated with the military, in fact rank exists in all facets of life, including the business world and even policlubs and hobby groups. Rank provides a +1 to your social limits per level for those within your organization. In the case of military or law enforcement characters, the social limit modifier applies to members of the public over whom they have authority. In the table, the number on the right side of the slash is the cost for military or law enforcement; the number on the left side of the slash is for other ranks.
-Run Faster, Page 86
So, you can also just karma-buy it as well if you're doing point buy. *shrug* As mentioned, Wolfman picked up 5 points of Rank going to a Military School, so he finished his tour of duty with the CAS Mage Corps as an NCO (A Lance Corporal, to be exact)

That's as far as I got with chargen last night before faceplanting, so a few finishing notes...
-Nuyen is 1 karma for 2k nuyen, with a 200 karma cap for buying nuyen.
-Standard contacts purchased at the rules used in the core book.
-Your SIN doesn't stack. You take the highest ranking SiN quality you got buying modules and use that.
-You can buy off negative qualities at this point with your remaining Karma pool. As long as you have under 25 points of negative qualities, you can then buy more. So if you don't like a negative quality you picked up during Life Path chargen, you can swap it for an equivalent negative point or just buy it off.
-If you get the same qualitiy twice in chargen and it isn't tiered, you can swap them for quality of the same karma cost.

Now, there's also a variant build style in there for Priorities, as well. It's called Spend to Ten.
S10 is a variant of Priority buy. Basically...
A Priority = 4 points
B Priority = 3 points
C Priority = 2 points
D Priority = 1 point
E Priority = 0 points

As you can see, the 'standard' priority system is built this way, as 4+3+2+1+0 = 10. This way, you can wriggle things around a little and take, for example, 2 A priority picks and either one C and 3 Es.

You can use the same priority multiple times, but still only get to use it once per option. This means, no, you can't have unlimited edge by being a 6x Human, or having Unlimited Money by choosing E priority resources 999 times. So you still need to make 5 choices on priorities. To quote the book...
You have to hack the Matrix, not the chargen system, sorry!
-Run Faster, Page 62

Haven't messed with it, but it looks fine if you have a concept in mind that is harder to work with the usual priority system. IE, now you can be an A-Rank Troll (mmmmm 5 bonus stat points to go with your TROLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL MAGGGGEEE) with A-Rank Magic whose come up from THE STREEEEEETS (Because if you're doubling up on A priorities for metatype and magic, that leaves you two points to spend on Skills, Attributes, and Resources. So something's gonna be missing. Ow. :D)

There's also a bunch of new qualities in here, positive and negative. Two of my favorites are just from the names:

HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN BONUS: 10 KARMA - The character has survived on the streets for so long that anything else makes them distrustful and suspicious. The character will not choose to stay in accommodations above Squatter. If, for example, the team elects to spend the night in a Middle Lifestyle hotel, or even a squalid Low Lifestyle motel, the character will walk out and find a comfortable alley to sleep in rather than bear this "luxury." If forced to stay somewhere above Squatter, the character will be at –2 to all his Mental attributes as he becomes confused, erratic, and agitated until such a time as he is able to spend a day in a Squatter or Street lifestyle to rezone himself.

Seriously. Who doesn't love the name 'Hobo with a Shotgun'?!

WITNESS MY HATE (MAGICIANS ONLY) COST: 7 KARMA - All of a spellcasting character's single-target Direct Damage spells are resolved at +2 DV. However, such reckless channeling of destructive forces wreaks havoc on the character's system. The Drain code for any affected Direct Damage spells is increased by +2.

Another trend some of the more qualities have this time around is mixed blessings, ie, they give a bonus, but they then also give a penalty. Example:
SPIRIT WHISPERER COST: 8 KARMA - There is something about you that makes some spirits want to avoid you—while others seem oddly drawn to you. Spirits add 1 die when resisting Summoning Tests from characters with this quality. However, if the character succeeds in the test, the spirit summoned is always at 1 point of Force stronger than chosen. For all purposes, the character is considered to have summoned the spirit at the declared Force—it simply shows up at 1 point of Force higher than expected. Summoned spirits behave rather curiously toward the character, asking questions about the character's past, though no amount of mastery can compel them to reveal why they are so curious and why they show up stronger than summoned.

So, it's harder to summon spirits, but if you do succeed, you get a free Force upgrade for your spirits without having to pay the cost in resources and drain and the like. Neat. :D

There's also some nice indepth bits for Contacts, Lifestyles, and a bit on the Various Mr. Johnsons of the Sixth World. Well, their stereotypes, anyways. As the Johnson giving the lecture to Jackpoint notes, depending on those stereotypes is a good way to get killed. Useful for GMs in how to run a Johnson and Players for advice on dealing with Johnsons.

Amusing side note: Azzie Johnsons are actually pretty nice and helpful. It's just that their company's overall goals tend towards World Domination and Or Destruction. Other than that and a tendency to try and pay you in Aztechnology Scrip (Firmly tell them no and move on), they actually offer a good bit of assistance and pretty good pay.

By contrast, Ares Johnsons know their company gives them a good rep and aren't afraid to use it to hide a Sudden Betrayal if they need to.

Also, Horizon Johnsons are A) Usually pretty friendly and cheerful, B) Often high on something, usually novacoke, and C) tend to be team oriented and apparently tend to almost become your Fixer and Johnson at the same time, and are willing to help out a lot, because That's How Horizon Rolls (When It Isn't Going Crazy), are willing to listen to feed back, facilitate getting stuff you need, and all that to the point i'ts almost irritating...it's just that the Dawkins Group is lurking around.

No one likes the Dawkins Group.

Hell, HORIZON JOHNSONS hate the Dawkins Group. Damn social adepts. >:|

Anyways, that's as far as I got browsing things before I had to head to work, so.....still have more to read. :D

Other bits are 'lifestyle information for your Average Non-Shadowrunning Metahumans and general attitudes of various metatypes', a pile of new Codes of Honor to harass your players with and to equip your Corporate NPCs with (White Hat Spiders: Their duties are to Mend and Defend the Matrix they're in charge of. ...someone at Catalyst is a Reboot fan, and I love them for it. :D) and 'What's it Like to be a Vampire anyways' and an oodle of metagenic qualities for all your SURGE I-III needs.

Edit: Oh, and Slamm-O!, one of the JackPoint mods, hates Red, the afore-mentioned Elven Vampire Mage Explaining Vampire Things...

....because worse than being a vampire, he's a Blackhawks fan.

HMMV? Who cares? SPORTS are SERIOUS BUSINESS!

Ah, JackPoint. You always make me smile. :D

Edit 2: Ooooh! Just got to a new section in the pdf (Don't judge me, it's slow at work today! :D)

Equipment packs!

They cut down on the hassle of buying stuff individually if you just want a batch of general useful gear. Useful if you don't feel like mapping out everything individually, I suppose, and just go 'alright, let's see...5 karma for a basic Shadowrunner kit, (Fake SIN (3) Earbuds (1) with sound link Renraku Sensei commlink Metal restraints Knife Ten plastic restraints Armor vest Backpack (20¥) Micro-transceiver Flashlight Mapsoft (campaign city) Respirator (1) Silver credstick Survival kit Glasses (1) with image link Medkit (1)), 1 Karma for a basic side arm kit (TEMS Ares Predator V heavy pistol, quick-draw holster, four spare clips 300 rounds of regular heavy pistol ammo Ares Light Fire 70 light pistol, concealable holster, two spare clips 60 rounds of regular light pistol ammo), some armor and a car, good to go'

I mean, you don't /have/ to use them. :D I know that if I'm running a street sam, I'd want to spend time figuring out which rifle is the best and tinkering with mods and the like, but if I am, fer example, a mage or decker, hey, badda boom, there you go, that's all you need for a basic side arm and off you go.

Not ground shaking, but nice if you want to speed up gear purchases, because, well, there's a LOT of shiny toys to spend your nuyen on...

All of the packs have a cost in nuyen and karma (So you can just make them at chargen), an availability rating (cause some of it is illegals), and an essence cost (if applicable).

Edit 3: Oh, right. Hey, @Dartz. Might check out Sum to Ten for your 5E Campaign. Might help you with your resource worries. Just put a hard cap on rank C for resources for everyone and let them frolic about as Troll Street Gangers out to make a buck! Or something, I dunno, just seems like it'd help for 'not cutting out the guy who wants to be a troll' and 'guy who wants skillz/attributes/Being Lucky'.

Under Sum Ten, CCDDE, the Street Scum campaign you mentioned, would be 8 points. Give 'em those extra two points back to tweak things, just make sure they understand there's a limit on starting resources (Nothing higher than C) and bam, Bob Lofwyr's (There was Hostile Takeover of Uncle Bob's Old Sayings Factory) your Uncle CORPORATE OVERLORD and you've got a group of talented, scrappy street talent who start low and have the potential to Make It Big (Or Get Dead. Either or).

I tend to collect RPGs but lack any local gaming groups, soooo I'm long on Theory and That's Cool, but short on 'oh, no, wait, that's actually horribly broken when actually put on the tabletop'. ^^;;;;

Last edited:
Can someone explain 4e Grenade rules to me? (I prefer 4e at the moment as there's so few books for 5e at the moment) I read over the section, but I'm still really confused by how it's worded. Also I'm confused about fletchette rules (Aka the (f) symbol you sometimes see) so if someone could explain that better to me, I'd love to hear.

Can someone explain 4e Grenade rules to me? (I prefer 4e at the moment as there's so few books for 5e at the moment) I read over the section, but I'm still really confused by how it's worded. Also I'm confused about fletchette rules (Aka the (f) symbol you sometimes see) so if someone could explain that better to me, I'd love to hear.
Mmm, I'll try. Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: Slapped the ramble in Spoiler Tags to cut down on Walls o' Text.
Basically, grenades are inaccurate. If you lob a grenade at someone, there's a decent chance it'll go somewhere odd if you aren't practiced at lobbing the things about.

So, you make your grenade attack roll to deal with the couple of dug-in, drugged up Halloweeners trying to keep you guys pinned so Vinnie the Murder Troll can get close enough to try to eat your delicious hands. Mmkay. That's bad. So, you pull a frag grenade, then throw it, not the pin. You're using a standard grenade and get 3 net hits on your attack after you roll your Agility + Throwing skill + the modifiers and the Ganger rolls his Reaction + modifiers. Groovy.

Then, the GM rolls 1d6, consulting the Scatter Chart provided in the book. He gets a 2, so it kinda bounces a bit towards and to the right of the target.

Then, the GM rolls 1d6 - 3 (Because you had 3 net hits, y'see, on the attack roll) to see how many meters off your throw was, and gets a 2-3=-1. You can't go below 0, which means the grenade lands directly at the target's feet, possibly prompting some startled cursing, a whimper, or just a nigh audible blink as the target blinks at the round thingy on his boot.
Well, let's see...that frag grenade does 12 Physical (Flechette) Damage by default, with a 1 DV dropoff per meter from the blast epicenter.

The poor fragger standing on it when it erupts eats a full 12 Physical Flechette damage. Man, he'd better either be a troll, cybered, or wearing armor, cause that's bad. So he rolls his Body + Impact armor, with each success reducing that damage value by 1.

Now, his chum enthusiastically sitting a few meters away trying to geek your team's mage is a (little) more lucky. instead of worrying about 12 Physical(F) damage, he only has to worry about 10 damage before he can try to reduce it with his impact+Body.

Now, speaking of flechette rules, it's a type of ammo that shows up in various guns, as mentioned, and weapons such as your friend, Mr. Grenade.

Flechettes do terrible, terrible, /terrible/ things to soft, delicious flesh. So, flechette rounds increase the damage value of whatever weapon by 2. That's already factored into your friend, Mr. Grenade, by the by.

However, since Flechettes are made of tons of tiny bits of murder-shrapnel pinging about hungering for /flesh/, they don't really do much against impact armor, which is designed to help absorb the kinetic impact of tiny fast moving bits of metal. If the target of your flechette round is wearing armor that gives him Impact armor, then you increase that armor's rating by 5.

If you see that little (f) in a gun's description and damage codes, that means it's designed for flechette rounds, so that +2 DV/Impact Armor +5 is already figured into their damage codes.

So, going back to our example of Thug 1 and Thug 2, plus Vinnie the Murder Troll, let's say Thug 1 has on a snazzy (synth)leather jacket, Thug 2 is wearing a gang recolored Lined coat he took off a cocky young Shadowrunner, and Vinnie the Murder Troll is wearing some blue paint and screaming in some mad mixture of Gaelic, Spanish, and German (Which is odd, because he only knows English. Drugs are terrible things, kids).

Thug 1's snazzy jacket has a Ballistic/Impact rating of 2/2. So, he gets to roll Body + 2 (Armor) + 5 (Flechette) against that grenade sitting at his feet (12 Damage). Still, decent chance he's going to be screaming in pain in a bit, if not bleeding out.

Thug 2 is wearing a Lined Coat with a B/I rating of 6/4. So he gets to roll Body + 4 (Armor) +5 (Flechette) vs 10 damage. Hey, if he's lucky, he'll take the blast on the coat, and survive more or less unscathed (Except possibly for his buddy's blood all over him, but what's a little PTSD between friends?)

Vinnie the Murder Troll has no armor except his natural dermal deposits, which gives him an armor rating of 1/1. So he gets to roll Body + 1 (Armor) + 5 (Flechette) vs 6 (Let's say he was six meters away from the blast and charging, as the damage value for a grenade's blast decreases by one per meter away). Considering how much he wants a nice hand sandwich, there's a non zero chance that the shrapnel pattering off his bare blue skin just makes him mad/hungry/ponder the intricacies of life and how to paint them with your /face/.

Anyways, Thug 1's a bit on the weedy side (He makes up for it by being as vicious as a Devil Rat) and has Body 2. He gets to roll 9 d6s. Each one that comes up as a five or higher reduces the damage of that grenade he's standing on by 1. Consulting the Internet Dice Roller, he gets one success. Soooo, he just ate 11 physical damage. He's got Body 2, so he has 9 physical damage boxes on his condition monitor. BOOSH!

Thug 2 works out a lot and likes moving heavy objects. He's got Body 3. He gets to roll 12 d6s. Like his buddy, he's got a bit of bad luck and gets 1 success. Still, that's only 8 physical damage instead of 11. He's got 10 damage boxes, so while he feels like shit, due to having been hammered for 8 Phsyical Damage, at least he's not Thug 1. Pity that the mage he's been harassing just set him on fire, though...

Vinnie the Murder Troll is a murderous cybernetic troll who thinks your hands are /delicious/. He's got Body 7. 13 d6s. He gets 3 successes, and only takes 3 damage as he comes closer to your delicious hands. Vinnie has a whopping 12 health boxes, so that 3 damage just tickles a bit and makes him, you guessed it, hunger for your delicious hands. Someone should probably deal with that soon. If he'd bothered putting on his combat biker Armored Jacket instead of slotting a (bad) bootleg chip of Braveheart: The Legend of Lufwaffle Zoro and then going on an epically bad trip, he'd have had a pretty good chance of just shrugging the shrapnel off and continuing onwards. Still, at least he's softened up a little.

So, Flechettes...great if you know your target's unarmored or lightly armored, not what you want to be packing when Renarku decides to point out that, no, thank you, the Red Samurai do NOT appreciate your character wearing red samurai-style armor.

Hope that helps a bit, d00d.

Also, note, yes, that means even if you flub a roll, as long as you don't glitch ('Oh, you Drek Head, WHY DID YOU THROW THE PIN!?' ...fine, that's a house rule I'd use if it was funny enough), you can still do some damage with a grenade if you're lucky with the scatter and they don't have armor to resist it.

In fact, technically, grenades are undodgeable. Technically.

5E tweaks this a little. Instead of an opposed test, they have your character attempt to get Throwing Weapons + Agility + Mods vs a threshold of 3 successes. If you succeed, grenade on target. Fail, and it scatters. Works because of the whole 'limit' thing in 5E capping your dice rolls a bit, I suppose.

Then, Run & Gun, offered some reactions to help deal with the whole undodgeable thing.

Right Back Atcha'! is an interrupt that lets you try to grab and throw the grenade back (And hope it's on a timer and not motion or impact sensors~).

Run for Your Life lets you interrupt and spend as much movement as you have available to run away from your current position. Note that the GM doesn't have any obligation to determine the grenade's final destionation or direction when you Run For Your Life...

There's a variant of Run For Your Life called Dive on the Grenade. You try to move to the grenade and drop prone. if you succeed, you eliminate the blast radius of the grenade, but take the full blast (Gas grenades get a halved radius).

Last edited:

Basically, grenades are inaccurate. If you lob a grenade at someone, there's a decent chance it'll go somewhere odd if you aren't practiced at lobbing the things about.

So, you make your grenade attack roll to deal with the couple of dug-in, drugged up Halloweeners trying to keep you guys pinned so Vinnie the Murder Troll can get close enough to try to eat your delicious hands. Mmkay. That's bad. So, you pull a frag grenade, then throw it, not the pin. You're using a standard grenade and get 3 net hits on your attack after you roll your Agility + Throwing skill + the modifiers and the Ganger rolls his Reaction + modifiers. Groovy.

Then, the GM rolls 1d6, consulting the Scatter Chart provided in the book. He gets a 2, so it kinda bounces a bit towards and to the right of the target.

Then, the GM rolls 1d6 - 3 (Because you had 3 net hits, y'see, on the attack roll) to see how many meters off your throw was, and gets a 2-3=-1. You can't go below 0, which means the grenade lands directly at the target's feet, possibly prompting some startled cursing, a whimper, or just a nigh audible blink as the target blinks at the round thingy on his boot.
Well, let's see...that frag grenade does 12 Physical (Flechette) Damage by default, with a 1 DV dropoff per meter from the blast epicenter.

The poor fragger standing on it when it erupts eats a full 12 Physical Flechette damage. Man, he'd better either be a troll, cybered, or wearing armor, cause that's bad. So he rolls his Body + Impact armor, with each success reducing that damage value by 1.

Now, his chum enthusiastically sitting a few meters away trying to geek your team's mage is a (little) more lucky. instead of worrying about 12 Physical(F) damage, he only has to worry about 10 damage before he can try to reduce it with his impact+Body.

Now, speaking of flechette rules, it's a type of ammo that shows up in various guns, as mentioned, and weapons such as your friend, Mr. Grenade.

Flechettes do terrible, terrible, /terrible/ things to soft, delicious flesh. So, flechette rounds increase the damage value of whatever weapon by 2. That's already factored into your friend, Mr. Grenade, by the by.

However, since Flechettes are made of tons of tiny bits of murder-shrapnel pinging about hungering for /flesh/, they don't really do much against impact armor, which is designed to help absorb the kinetic impact of tiny fast moving bits of metal. If the target of your flechette round is wearing armor that gives him Impact armor, then you increase that armor's rating by 5.

If you see that little (f) in a gun's description and damage codes, that means it's designed for flechette rounds, so that +2 DV/Impact Armor +5 is already figured into their damage codes.

So, going back to our example of Thug 1 and Thug 2, plus Vinnie the Murder Troll, let's say Thug 1 has on a snazzy (synth)leather jacket, Thug 2 is wearing a gang recolored Lined coat he took off a cocky young Shadowrunner, and Vinnie the Murder Troll is wearing some blue paint and screaming in some mad mixture of Gaelic, Spanish, and German (Which is odd, because he only knows English. Drugs are terrible things, kids).

Thug 1's snazzy jacket has a Ballistic/Impact rating of 2/2. So, he gets to roll Body + 2 (Armor) + 5 (Flechette) against that grenade sitting at his feet (12 Damage). Still, decent chance he's going to be screaming in pain in a bit, if not bleeding out.

Thug 2 is wearing a Lined Coat with a B/I rating of 6/4. So he gets to roll Body + 4 (Armor) +5 (Flechette) vs 10 damage. Hey, if he's lucky, he'll take the blast on the coat, and survive more or less unscathed (Except possibly for his buddy's blood all over him, but what's a little PTSD between friends?)

Vinnie the Murder Troll has no armor except his natural dermal deposits, which gives him an armor rating of 1/1. So he gets to roll Body + 1 (Armor) + 5 (Flechette) vs 6 (Let's say he was six meters away from the blast and charging, as the damage value for a grenade's blast decreases by one per meter away). Considering how much he wants a nice hand sandwich, there's a non zero chance that the shrapnel pattering off his bare blue skin just makes him mad/hungry/ponder the intricacies of life and how to paint them with your /face/.

Anyways, Thug 1's a bit on the weedy side (He makes up for it by being as vicious as a Devil Rat) and has Body 2. He gets to roll 9 d6s. Each one that comes up as a five or higher reduces the damage of that grenade he's standing on by 1. Consulting the Internet Dice Roller, he gets one success. Soooo, he just ate 11 physical damage. He's got Body 2, so he has 9 physical damage boxes on his condition monitor. BOOSH!

Thug 2 works out a lot and likes moving heavy objects. He's got Body 3. He gets to roll 12 d6s. Like his buddy, he's got a bit of bad luck and gets 1 success. Still, that's only 8 physical damage instead of 11. He's got 10 damage boxes, so while he feels like shit, due to having been hammered for 8 Phsyical Damage, at least he's not Thug 1. Pity that the mage he's been harassing just set him on fire, though...

Vinnie the Murder Troll is a murderous cybernetic troll who thinks your hands are /delicious/. He's got Body 7. 13 d6s. He gets 3 successes, and only takes 3 damage as he comes closer to your delicious hands. Vinnie has a whopping 12 health boxes, so that 3 damage just tickles a bit and makes him, you guessed it, hunger for your delicious hands. Someone should probably deal with that soon. If he'd bothered putting on his combat biker Armored Jacket instead of slotting a (bad) bootleg chip of Braveheart: The Legend of Lufwaffle Zoro and then going on an epically bad trip, he'd have had a pretty good chance of just shrugging the shrapnel off and continuing onwards. Still, at least he's softened up a little.

So, Flechettes...great if you know your target's unarmored or lightly armored, not what you want to be packing when Renarku decides to point out that, no, thank you, the Red Samurai do NOT appreciate your character wearing red samurai-style armor.

Also, note, yes, that means even if you flub a roll, as long as you don't glitch ('Oh, you Drek Head, WHY DID YOU THROW THE PIN!?' ...fine, that's a house rule I'd use if it was funny enough), you can still do some damage with a grenade if you're lucky with the scatter and they don't have armor to resist it.

5E tweaks this a little. Instead of an opposed test, they have your character attempt to get Throwing Weapons + Agility + Mods vs a threshold of 3 successes. If you succeed, grenade on target. Fail, and it scatters. Works because of the whole 'limit' thing in 5E capping your dice rolls a bit, I suppose.

Then, Run & Gun, offered some reactions to help deal with the whole undodgeable thing.

Right Back Atcha'! is an interrupt that lets you try to grab and throw the grenade back (And hope it's on a timer and not motion or impact sensors~).

Run for Your Life lets you interrupt and spend as much movement as you have available to run away from your current position. Note that the GM doesn't have any obligation to determine the grenade's final destionation or direction when you Run For Your Life...

There's a variant of Run For Your Life called Dive on the Grenade. You try to move to the grenade and drop prone. if you succeed, you eliminate the blast radius of the grenade, but take the full blast (Gas grenades get a halved radius).
Also, if you're in small room where a grenade goes off, you get turned into chunky salsa, because the explosion will reflect off of the walls.

Also, if you're in small room where a grenade goes off, you get turned into chunky salsa, because the explosion will reflect off of the walls.
Oh my yes, I didn't even get into the chunky salsa rules.

Gods help you if there's more than one grenade. The example they used, aka, a Devil Rat + 2 Frags, resulted in a whopping 156 physical damage once all things added up. Boosh, man. Boosh.

Mind, apparently, from a bit of light forum browsing, grenades are rather accidentally broken, to some extent. Really, it's one thing I do like as an improvement for 5E's grenade rules, the whole 'chuck it back' or 'run like hell' (Which, mind you, flushes people out of cover, which is one of the reasons you chuck grenades!) instead of automatically getting hit if the radius is large enough. Still, suppose it's a 'darned if you do, darned if you don't' sort of thing.

If they make grenades and the like 'standard' attacks where misses result in a live grenade going waaaaay off target, ala a bullet or the like missing complete, well...that's probably a smidge more complicated than just 'hit or miss' with bullets and the current scatter rules (I mean, how do you determine how far off the thrower's grenade has deviated? What formulas do you need? Then you get complaints that it is arbitrary as well, and the cycle continues...)

If they make them auto-hit like they currently do, people go 'arrrgh grenades op plz nerf'.

Although, to be fair, that's the main /advantage/ of the frag grenades: Massive radius. They get a twelve meter blast radius, but can only deviate 6 meters off target, so you're guaranteed to hit /something/.

Eh, it's all good, really. Best advice I saw for dealing with it basically came down to 'don't overly abuse them, Players and GM'. Most grenades are pretty expensive or hard to get hands on, so that helps limit them for Shadowrunners, and, well, the Corporate Overlords are both cheap /and/ probably not thrilled about their security teams using explosives inside their facilities. They might damage something more expensive than a security team, after all.

Course...the best solution to the grenade problem is to be a pro shadowrunner and not have anyone see you in the first place~~~~ :p

Edit: Also, a bit that amuses me about 5E is the subtle 'salesman catalogue' style to the equipment. Like, I'm skimming Run Faster again, and the description of the packs is like something that you'd get from Marcus in Borderlands. Seriously, read this in his voice.

"It can be said that Ares ushered in the cybernetic era with the introduction of the Ares Predator, the first smartgun that could live up to both the hype and field conditions. Thirty years and five iterations later, Ares remains the leading arms manufacturer on Earth, and Ares pistols rule the streets. Trust in Ares quality! Also, no refunds."

The only bit I changed from the actual book is the ! at the end of quality and 'No refunds'. xD

Edit 2: ...dammit, if I ever get a campaign, now I'm going to have to make Marcus as a contact for my shadowrunner. xD Connections 6! He has all the guns! Loyalty 2! He doesn't care about anything other than your money! Oh, and most definitely...No Refunds.​

Last edited:

Hey! Thanks a lot for that. Next, can you explain Knockdown to me? I understand it's an effect that occurs when the successful attack meets or Exceeds Body, or takes 10 in a single attack. But what does that mean for the character exactly? They're automatically unconscious? Dead?

Hey! Thanks a lot for that. Next, can you explain Knockdown to me? I understand it's an effect that occurs when the successful attack meets or Exceeds Body, or takes 10 in a single attack. But what does that mean for the character exactly? They're automatically unconscious? Dead?
*briskly rubs his hands together.* Right then, time to crack the ol' rulebook open and take a look-see.

Mmmhmm. Hmmm. Mhmm.

Well, REJOICE. According to the 4E rules, Knockdown is actually quite simple! I'll just get some of my fine assistants in here to help explain everything!

On the left we have Vinnie the Murder Troll, now off of his Bad Beetle Trip and, thankfully, wearing pants. Say hello, Vinnie. Vinnie is a tough-as-nails cybered up troll with odd culinary desires. He's got Body 7 and 12 health boxes, Willpower 6 (Because, well, it takes effort to not eat all those DELICIOUS HANDS) giving him 11 Stun boxes, and is currently wearing his stylish Armored Combat Jacket with a Ballistic/Impact armor rating of 8/6. The Humanis logo on the shoulder is a delightfully, dare I say it, Trollish touch.

Next to him we have everyone's favorite Halloweenie, Thug 1! Thug 1, currently whimpering, is a bit of a weedy git with Body 2 and 9 Health boxes and Willpoewr 3, giving him a whole 10 stun boxes. He's wearing a standard synthleather jacket, patched up after all the shrapnel the other night, giving him a Ballistic/Impact armor rating of 2/2. Betcha regret spending that money on drugs instead of armor now, don'tcha Thug 1?

And our final assistant tonight, MISTER BOJANGLES! Mister Bojangles is a heavily modified Steel Lynx combat drone equipped with a variety of guns loaded with regular rounds and gel shots! Quit crying, Thug 1, they're only incredibly painful. Well, if you're Vinnie. Sucks to be you, though.

Now, on Gel Ammo: Gel Ammo reduces the Body rating of the target by 2 when rolling to resist knockdown, but increases their Impact Armor by 2. They also do stun damage instead of just physical.

First up, Thug 1, assisted by copious amounts of duct tape! Mister Bojangles fires and hits with his gel volley, inflicting a whopping ten net hits. He rolls his Damage Resist of 2 (Body) + 2 (Jacket's Impact Armor Value) + 2 (Bonus due to gel rounds) and gets 4 successes! Good show, Thug 1! That means instead of taking 10 stun damage, you take 6! But wait, those were gel rounds! That means when comparing the values, you have an essential rating of 1 at the moment, Thug 1!

(It might be technically 0, but I figure it defaults to at least 1)

Hmmm. that means you just took 6 boxes of stun damage, and only have an essential body of 1 right now? For shame, Thug 1, For SHAME. Wallow on the ground whimpering as you think about what you did.

Thug 1, being knocked down, is now prone, for all that does. On the up side, maybe he's out of the line of fire of that mage who still hates him from the other night? That's right, Thug 1, grasp that silver lining.

Now, while probably wishing he'd stayed in bed today, Devil Rats be damned, Thug 1 has also demonstrated that Knockdown is not quite the same as unconsciousness. It puts you prone, for better or for worse, and you then have to spend a simple action getting back to your feet, while in the meanwhile chaps in melee can cut you better with their Gen-U-Wine Katannas.

So, repeating that volley, Vinnie the Murder Troll gets hit for 10 net stun damage from the gel rounds.

He has a body of 7 + Impact Armor 6 + Dermal Deposits + 2 for gel rounds. He gets six successes, proving that he's a lucky bastard, too. The gel round from Mister Bojangles slams into him and stings a bit, but inflicts a 'mere' four stun damage. Vinnie's mostly just angry /and/ hungry now that someone's tagged him with stun rounds, taking 4 points of Stun damage. Being under his Gel-Round adjusted Body of 5, he stays on his feet.

Now, unconsciousness happens when a character's entire stun /and/ physical track is completely filled up.

DEATH, however, occurs when the entire physical body track is filled up and the character takes more Physical damage. Let's test things with some live ammo! Mister Bojangles, the Panther Cannon, please.

*BOOM*

Thank you, Mister Bojangles.

So, poor Thug 1 took 12 points of physical damage after trying to lower that resistance a bit. Unfortunately, he only has 9 physical boxes on his condition track! This means his entire physical body track is filled up and he takes 3 points of overflow damage. Unfortunately, Instant Death kicks in if your damage overflow exceeds your body. Since Thug 1 has Body 2, he's dead when he hits the ground.

So long again, THug 1. We'll see you next time!~

NOw, as for Vinnie the Murder Troll, he eats the assault cannon shell and takes 13 points of damage, despite all his Trollishness.

Now, with his Physcial damage track filled, he starts to bleed out. This causes a character to get 1 point of physical damage every (BODY) rounds. If they exceed their body in that way, they die.

With a body of 7, every 7 combat turns, Vinnie takes another box of physical damage without medical attention.

With one box of overflow, it will take 49 combat turns for Vinnie to bleed out, since he started at 1 point of overflow damage. On turn 49, he takes his eighth point and is off to the handbuffet in the sky.

Stun damage is a bit different. Stun damage has its own track, as mentioned, and once it fills it, Further stun damage fills your physical track. However, if your character's physical condition track is filled with stun damage, you are knocked unconscious until someone heals your stun damage, not killed.

Mind, if you're taken alive by your friendly Azzie Jaguar Warrior Security Team, you might WISH you were dead instead of waking up in their clutches...

Last edited:
*briskly rubs his hands together.* Right then, time to crack the ol' rulebook open and take a look-see.

Mmmhmm. Hmmm. Mhmm.

Well, REJOICE. According to the 4E rules, Knockdown is actually quite simple! I'll just get some of my fine assistants in here to help explain everything!

On the left we have Vinnie the Murder Troll, now off of his Bad Beetle Trip and, thankfully, wearing pants. Say hello, Vinnie. Vinnie is a tough-as-nails cybered up troll with odd culinary desires. He's got Body 7 and 12 health boxes, Willpower 6 (Because, well, it takes effort to not eat all those DELICIOUS HANDS) giving him 11 Stun boxes, and is currently wearing his stylish Armored Combat Jacket with a Ballistic/Impact armor rating of 8/6. The Humanis logo on the shoulder is a delightfully, dare I say it, Trollish touch.

Next to him we have everyone's favorite Halloweenie, Thug 1! Thug 1, currently whimpering, is a bit of a weedy git with Body 2 and 9 Health boxes and Willpoewr 3, giving him a whole 10 stun boxes. He's wearing a standard synthleather jacket, patched up after all the shrapnel the other night, giving him a Ballistic/Impact armor rating of 2/2. Betcha regret spending that money on drugs instead of armor now, don'tcha Thug 1?

And our final assistant tonight, MISTER BOJANGLES! Mister Bojangles is a heavily modified Steel Lynx combat drone equipped with a variety of guns loaded with regular rounds and gel shots! Quit crying, Thug 1, they're only incredibly painful. Well, if you're Vinnie. Sucks to be you, though.

Now, on Gel Ammo: Gel Ammo reduces the Body rating of the target by 2 when rolling to resist knockdown, but increases their Impact Armor by 2. They also do stun damage instead of just physical.

First up, Thug 1, assisted by copious amounts of duct tape! Mister Bojangles fires and hits with his gel volley, inflicting a whopping ten net hits. He rolls his Damage Resist of 2 (Body) + 2 (Jacket's Impact Armor Value) + 2 (Bonus due to gel rounds) and gets 4 successes! Good show, Thug 1! That means instead of taking 10 stun damage, you take 6! But wait, those were gel rounds! That means when comparing the values, you have an essential rating of 1 at the moment, Thug 1!

(It might be technically 0, but I figure it defaults to at least 1)

Hmmm. that means you just took 6 boxes of stun damage, and only have an essential body of 1 right now? For shame, Thug 1, For SHAME. Wallow on the ground whimpering as you think about what you did.

Thug 1, being knocked down, is now prone, for all that does. On the up side, maybe he's out of the line of fire of that mage who still hates him from the other night? That's right, Thug 1, grasp that silver lining.

Now, while probably wishing he'd stayed in bed today, Devil Rats be damned, Thug 1 has also demonstrated that Knockdown is not quite the same as unconsciousness. It puts you prone, for better or for worse, and you then have to spend a simple action getting back to your feet, while in the meanwhile chaps in melee can cut you better with their Gen-U-Wine Katannas.

So, repeating that volley, Vinnie the Murder Troll gets hit for 10 net stun damage from the gel rounds.

He has a body of 7 + Impact Armor 6 + Dermal Deposits + 2 for gel rounds. He gets six successes, proving that he's a lucky bastard, too. The gel round from Mister Bojangles slams into him and stings a bit, but inflicts a 'mere' four stun damage. Vinnie's mostly just angry /and/ hungry now that someone's tagged him with stun rounds, taking 4 points of Stun damage. Being under his Gel-Round adjusted Body of 5, he stays on his feet.

Now, unconsciousness happens when a character's entire stun /and/ physical track is completely filled up.

DEATH, however, occurs when the entire physical body track is filled up and the character takes more Physical damage. Let's test things with some live ammo! Mister Bojangles, the Panther Cannon, please.

*BOOM*

Thank you, Mister Bojangles.

So, poor Thug 1 took 12 points of physical damage after trying to lower that resistance a bit. Unfortunately, he only has 9 physical boxes on his condition track! This means his entire physical body track is filled up and he takes 3 points of overflow damage. Unfortunately, Instant Death kicks in if your damage overflow exceeds your body. Since Thug 1 has Body 2, he's dead when he hits the ground.

So long again, THug 1. We'll see you next time!~

NOw, as for Vinnie the Murder Troll, he eats the assault cannon shell and takes 13 points of damage, despite all his Trollishness.

Now, with his Physcial damage track filled, he starts to bleed out. This causes a character to get 1 point of physical damage every (BODY) rounds. If they exceed their body in that way, they die.

With a body of 7, every 7 combat turns, Vinnie takes another box of physical damage without medical attention.

With one box of overflow, it will take 49 combat turns for Vinnie to bleed out, since he started at 1 point of overflow damage. On turn 49, he takes his eighth point and is off to the handbuffet in the sky.

Stun damage is a bit different. Stun damage has its own track, as mentioned, and once it fills it, Further stun damage fills your physical track. However, if your character's physical condition track is filled with stun damage, you are knocked unconscious until someone heals your stun damage, not killed.

Mind, if you're taken alive by your friendly Azzie Jaguar Warrior Security Team, you might WISH you were dead instead of waking up in their clutches...
Awesome explanation as always! Maybe I should just come to you instead cause you explain the stuff better and funnier then the book XD

How about Surprise rules? Im a little confused about how there's apparently two Initiative rolls?

Awesome explanation as always! Maybe I should just come to you instead cause you explain the stuff better and funnier then the book XD

How about Surprise rules? Im a little confused about how there's apparently two Initiative rolls?
Eh, sure.

Basically, the first Initiative test is the Surprise round.

Let's say Vinnie's decided that Thug 1's hands are delicious looking, having been tenderized enough, so he decides to nom on them and lurks outside of the alleyway that Thug 1 and Thug 2 are strolling down.

So, completely making numbers up, Vinnie and Thug 2 have a Reaction + Intuition pool of 8 (4 Reaction + 4 Intuition) and Thug 1 has a pool of 6 (3 Reaction + 3 Intuition). That's also their initiative attribute.

Vinnie is laying an ambush and thus gets an extra +6 added to his dice pool for the surprise test. He's also surprisingly stealthy for a massive hand-craving combat troll, so the GM decides his ambush is laid well enough that the Thugs don't get a Secretly Rolled By GM Perception check to add +3 to their Surprise test dice pools. He ends up with 4 hits on his surprise test and each of the Thugs get 1 hit.

So, the players/DM then roll a normal Initiative check.

That's when you roll the same pool again.

Thug 1 gets 2 hits, making his Initiative score an 8 (3 Reaction + 3 Intuition + 2 hits)

Thug 2 gets 4 hits, making his Initiative score a 12. (4 Reaction + 4 Intuition + 4 hits)

Vinnie gets 2 hits as well, giving him a score of 10. (4 Reaction + 4 Intuition + 2 hits)

Now,Thug 2 goes first. Unfortunately, he has no clue Vinnie the Murder Troll is lurking about, so he just takes his turn and strolls down the alleyway past Vinnie.

THEN IT IS VINNIE TIME! He jumps out of the alleyway to attempt to eat Thug 1's hands and paint the universe with his face. Thug 1, being surprised, can't make any defensive actions. He can't dodge or defend, so Vinnie gets a free attack. This means he doesn't roll the attack normally: Instead of making an opposed check, he rolls his attack as a success test instead.

So Vinnie rolls his Unarmed + Agility (Let's call it 4 again, with Unarmed being 6, because Vinnie loves using his hands to make hand sandwiches) +1 (Since he's a Troll and has a natural Reach of 1, giving him an extra dice since he has a reach advantage of Thug 1, who is Not a troll) and gets 6 hits. Since that means he didn't glitch on his Success Test, Thug 1 is about to be punched by Vinnie's massive fist, and isn't having a good day.

Let's say that Vinnie has Bone Density Augmentation, enhancing his body a bit and also letting his punches deal Physical Damage instead of Stun. Let's also say he's Strength 10, being a very Trollish Troll.

So, his default damage is 5 (One half his strength) + 6 (6 net hits on his combat check, Oh My~) for a total of 11 Physical Damage. Thug 1 has his Snazzy Leather Jacket (You'd think he'd upgrade eventually...), giving him 2/2 Ballistic/Impact armor and so 'only' gets punched for 9 Physical damage.

Being that, as demonstrated earlier, Thug 1 has 9 health boxes and body 2, he's both dangerously injured by Vinnie's massive fist /and/ knocked on his ass by Rampaging Troll.

And then the combat continues per normal, the surprise round being over. It is now Thug 1's turn, and he is prone and terribly injured.

So, in a more narrative sense, Thugs walk down the alleyway, Thug 2 strolls blithely past where Vinnie's lurking against the wall, then a massively cybered Troll lunges into the alleyway and punches Thug 1 right in his blood, prompting screaming from Thug 1 and something along the lines 'HOLYFREAKINGSHITBALLS' from Thug 2 and bloody carnage then ensues afterwards.

Last edited:
Amazing as always dude.

Ok, I did my best to keep reading and understanding on my own, goign through Barriers, Vehicles and Attacks Against Vehicles and but I am officially now stumped on the Gunnery for Vehicles. Specifically Drones and Sensor Targeting.

More than three years after Shadowrun Online was revealed to the world, it finally has a release date, and a swanky new name, too. Developer Cliffhanger Productions said it decided earlier this year to change the title to Shadowrun Chronicles: Boston Lockdown in order to correct mistaken assumptions that the game is an MMO.
Shadowrun Chronicles: Boston Lockdown is a tactical-RPG, separate and distinct from Harebrained Schemes' Shadowrun games, that pulled in more than $500,000 on Kickstarter in 2012. The original pitch stated that players could go at it entirely on their own, but the focus was clearly on multiplayer, a characteristic that was reflected by its title—a bit too much, as it turned out.

"Shadowrun Online has always been a title that invited a wide range of expectations—some gamers thought it meant we are doing a full-blown MMORPG with a persistent open world, others believed it meant we are doing a free to play browser title," Cliffhanger Managing Director Jan Wagner explained. "The core vision of the game has always focused on experiencing the world of Shadowrun together with your friends and meeting other players, swapping stories and exchanging strategies as well as a creating a space for actual role-playing with others. This to us is the core experience of Pen and paper roleplaying—a shared imagination and story experience."
There are multiplayer options, including co-operative play for up to four people and a "live multiplayer hub" with PvP matches, but the campaign is designed to work just as well as a solo experience. Wagner said the new title also reflects Cliffhanger's intent to release more content "evolving from the collective actions of our players" down the road. "They will shape the way the future plot of Shadowrun develops, literally making history in the Shadowrun Universe," she added.
And, as promised, the release date: Shadowrun Chronicles: Boston Lockdown, which is actually already available as an Early Access title on Steam, will go into full release on April 28. Get the details at Shadowrun.com.

Back