So Ayyk92, the glorious creator of Bowsette, actually got a glass trophy from NicoNico and Pixiv, and it managed to arrive on the same day as the launch of New super Mario Bros U Deluxe:

Godspeed Ayyk92, godspeed. ;)

Broke: Bowsette is not canon compliant
Woke: Trans Luigi is canon compliant

Nintendo thought this item description would end things, but if this doesn't lead to a bunch of transgender Luigi memes I will be surprised and disappointed.

Pfft...as if those "gaming sites" actually have any clue what they're talking about...should be noted, good number of people don't care what Nintendo thinks about Bowsette anyways. Even if in THAT game only Toadette can use the crown, doesn't mean it can't have an effect outside of it.

In other news, the SMB3 Crowned Edition has gotten 412 total downloads since its release on the 1st while the original with just the Bowsette boss fight is at 366!

Nintendo thought this item description would end things, but if this doesn't lead to a bunch of transgender Luigi memes I will be surprised and disappointed.

You mean like so?

Haven't searched the thread here for examples, but 4chan actually had a pretty funny thread of different characters besides Mario and Co. getting the crown. Such as Double King from the youtube special getting it. ANyone have more examples?

Please nintendo, you've already established Bowser as a powerful magician in 64. If Bowsette wants to use the super crown to transition into a girl, she will.

Please nintendo, you've already established Bowser as a powerful magician in 64. If Bowsette wants to use the super crown to transition into a girl, she will.
It was established in the original. Bowser transformed all the inhabitants of the mushroom kingdom into bricks per the manual. (Look back in horror at how many brick you break in the average run)

Man, Bowser was an evil prick once upon a time ago, now he's a goofy tough guy that also tries to be a good dad. While still doing bad things. Even the original Nintendo Power comic had him turning Toads into stone statues (also got Mario too) unless the princess married him.

Also, spread the love! I'm printing this out tomorrow.

So, after relooking over that comic, turns out Bowser was wanting to get the Koopalings a mom even back then too. Well, before Nintendo tried to retcon them from no longer being his kids.

Last edited:
It was established in the original. Bowser transformed all the inhabitants of the mushroom kingdom into bricks per the manual. (Look back in horror at how many brick you break in the average run)
From what I remember, it was specifically the brick blocks that have items/coins inside them that were transfigured Toad-folk, not the breakable brick blocks.

Man, Bowser was an evil prick once upon a time ago, now he's a goofy tough guy that also tries to be a good dad. While still doing bad things. Even the original Nintendo Power comic had him turning Toads into stone statues (also got Mario too) unless the princess married him.

Also, spread the love! I'm printing this out tomorrow.

So, after relooking over that comic, turns out Bowser was wanting to get the Koopalings a mom even back then too. Well, before Nintendo tried to retcon them from no longer being his kids.

So despite saying Toadette is the only one who can use the crown, Nintendo is still going to encourage the Bowsette/Whoever-ette stuff because they know it is free marketing. At least someone at corporate understands how to ride the public opinion wave.

From what I remember, it was specifically the brick blocks that have items/coins inside them that were transfigured Toad-folk, not the breakable brick blocks.
Does that mean this whole time the ones that only have coins we're just robbing them? And SPEAKING OF THE ORIGINAL SUPER MARIO BROS!

I may have gone too far in a few places. But it's stylistically designed to be that way. And you can't undo that but you can diminish the effects of it...

Okay, update time...where to begin. Firstly, Bowsette is playable in one of the special versions where you go against Dark Bowsette and her army.

Next, I made 2 sets of enemy types. Main set has all the enemies and Toad in their Super Crown form. Most of the enemies Peach's Counterattack are Toad and Yoshi.

In the 2 special versions, a special guest will be who you find at the castle instead of Toad.

Regular crowned game variants have a change in Bowsette skins like blonde, redhead, and green Bowser colors. Additional versions change a combination of sprites like enemy colors, hammers, firebreath, bridge ax, and moving platforms. These are the Peach, Daisy, Dry Bowser, and Rosalina versions.

Koopa Peach and Boosette versions change the Bowsette sprite to the respective boss instead. This also changes the text after saving "Toad" and the ending. Boosette even more so since only Luigi can be played. Again, some changes like the other skins may apply.

Special Versions:
-VS Dark Bowsette-
Bowsette will be playable in this version as Mario has gone missing (again). The enemies will remain the Super Crown -ette variants.

-Peach's Counterattack!-
Mario is the main hero here again, but most of the enemies are a Toad or Yoshi. Wonder who you'll end up saving?

So...in total that'll be 11 ROM files. With the Spiny throw patch applied.
3 skins
4 skins+variations
2 special skins
2 special versions

Toad is the key to all of this.

Does that mean this whole time the ones that only have coins we're just robbing them?
Again, IIRC, the coins or items that came out were supposed to be the Toad in question thanking Mario and trying to help him out. I think hitting the block was supposed to effectively free the captive Toad, but I can't recall if that was just supposition, or if that was ever confirmed.

Also, Bowser's intent with capturing Peach started off as him preventing her from reversing his transformation spell. It's only later on that Bowser's intentions toward Peach turn romantic (the first Mario game where I can recall Bowser showing romantic interest in Peach was Super Mario RPG, though I could be forgetting an earlier depiction).

Last edited:
Again, IIRC, the coins or items that came out were supposed to be the Toad in question thanking Mario and trying to help him out. I think hitting the block was supposed to effectively free the captive Toad, but I can't recall if that was just supposition, or if that was ever confirmed.

Also, Bowser's intent with capturing Peach started off as him preventing her from reversing his transformation spell. It's only later on that Bowser's intentions toward Peach turn romantic (the first Mario game where I can recall Bowser showing romantic interest in Peach was Super Mario RPG, though I could be forgetting an earlier depiction).
Well, the Super Mario World comic had Bowser going gaga trying to marry Peach.

I was restricting myself to just discussing the games, because I don't have much experience with Nintendo franchise comics or tv shows. Besides, I have my doubts that anything from those are considered canon to the games.
I mean. Talking about canon in regards to Mario as a series is too strong a notion, missing as a result that there's 'general ideas of what is true in Mario'.

Like, to jump to the side for a demonstrative example, Captain Falcon having his whole 'Falcon Punch' thing started... with the original Smash Bros. Super Smash Brothers is obviously not canon to F-Zero stuff. Yet now it's an iconic Captain Falcon thing that shows up in F-Zero stuff.

So it's sorta immaterial whether it was officially canon at that point or was introduced as an idea that would then leak into as much an official canon status as Mario has later.

Mario is just not the kinda series with a strong commitment to clear, consistent canon and hard plot developments.

I think of Mario as working like The Simpsons. No matter what happens in an episode (or game), the next one always starts from the same status quo. Except when they decide not to do that.

I think of Mario as working like The Simpsons. No matter what happens in an episode (or game), the next one always starts from the same status quo. Except when they decide not to do that.

Pretty much considering the whole ordeal with the Koopalings. Are they or aren't they Bowser's kids? Apparently Nintendo says no, just minions while Bowser Jr. is the only legit son of Bowser whose mother is Miyamoto. When they could've just said Bowser adopted them but Jr. is his only blood related kid.

Also, got a present of everyone!

MFGG Download: MFGG - Mario Fan Games Galaxy
RHDN Download: SMB Crowned Edition + Bonus (Bowsette playable)

Here is the SMB1 Crowned Edition ROM Hack I've been working on. It includes 7 various skins (Blonde, Redhead, Green, Dry Bowser, Daisy, Peach, and Rosalina colors).

Also featuring a Koopa Peach version, Boosette where Luigi is only playable and backgrounds are a bit more spooky, a playable Bowsette version against Dark Bowsette (see above post), and Peach's Counterattack where Peach is the main villain with Toads and Yoshi out to stop you!

I've also got the link to the SMB3 Crowned Edition hack on the same site up and going too.
Super Mario Bros. 3 Crowned Edition (Bowsette)

Last edited:
Back