The King James Victory Parade - Avatar: The Way of Water and sequels

I love how he arranged it so that in order to appreciate the movie properly, you have to use the venue that makes him the most money.
Cameron is many things.

A lunatic that should give up his control over terminator and Aliens is just one of them.

He is an artist though and a proper Cinema is the biggest canvas for him to work with.

Plus it's not exactly an uncommon sentiment amongst directors. Tarantino prefers to shoot with manual cameras and watch films in an old fashioned cinema for similar reasons, to the point where he bought his own cinema so he could always have one available.

Avatar absolutely benefits from being seen on the big screen in 3D, that's not even a question. The film was a glorious tech demo for what could be (and what you probably shouldn't try and be).

Considering that subsequent films drove carts and Pandoran lizard-horses through his movies, I think we can safely say his control wasn't iron-hard.

Almost every movie is better in a theater, that's where they're meant to be seen. I get that people like watching stuff at home but saying the viewing experiences are identical is like saying that a replica souvenir statue of Da Vinci's David is the same as seeing the original, since the sculpture's are physically identical.

I'm being only slightly hyperbolic for comedic effect, but seriously, if you can watch a movie (any movie!) in a theater, do it.

Last edited:
Almost every movie is better in a theater, that's where they're meant to be seen. I get that people like watching stuff at home but saying the viewing experiences are identical is like saying that a replica souvenir statue of Da Vinci's David is the same as seeing the original, since the sculpture's are physically identical.

I'm being only slightly hyperbolic for comedic effect, but seriously, if you can watch a movie (any movie!) in a theater, do it.
Having been on a major rip of watching old movies at the cinema (most recently Jackie Brown), I can only concur. Lots of people would be amazed by how much a small film can gain from being on a big screen.

Like most things it's a matter of trade-offs, theater cannot compare to home-viewing in terms of comfort and ease. But it's certainly true that it wins out for viewing experience.

Which one prefers is ultimately just a question of priorities.

A lunatic that should give up his control over terminator and Aliens
Does he have any control over alien? I thought that was Ridley's "he has the reigns and won't let go" (which is inconsequential because the alien IP, along with predator, are the height of "the amount of people who work on stuff relating to that and give a shit can be counted on singular hands, in terms of an end product that cares for anything outside itself" — and that includes, especially if anything, Ridley Scott, as someone who definitely doesn't care for like 99% of that franchise)

He doesn't have control over either. He only made Terminator 1 and 2 with a producer role on Dark Fate and only did Aliens.
Does he have any control over alien? I thought that was Ridley's "he has the reigns and won't let go" (which is inconsequential because the alien IP, along with predator, are the height of "the amount of people who work on stuff relating to that and give a shit can be counted on singular hands, in terms of an end product that cares for anything outside itself" — and that includes, especially if anything, Ridley Scott, as someone who definitely doesn't care for like 99% of that franchise)
Oops, I got Ripley confused with Cameron my bad.

Cameron is still an artist though

www.hollywoodreporter.com

‘Avatar: The Way of Water’ Runtime Sails Past Three Hours

The length of James Cameron's epic — around three hours and 10 minutes — is befitting of the 13-year wait for the sequel.
A movie's running time includes credits, which can take up as much as 10 minutes.

20th Century and Disney, home of The Way of Water, haven't yet released an official runtime for the sequel, but the movie's length began leaking out once it received an official rating. (In the U.S., the movie is rated PG-13.) Some theaters inadvertently listed the running time on their websites when posting the rating.

Disney, which inherited the Avatar franchise when buying up 20th Century Fox, declined comment.

I love how peeved Cameron comes off in this interview. It's just nice to have some flavor to these sorts of interviews rather than the bland banalities that usually accompany movie promotion.

Not to reignite that whole hoopla. But isn't 'I don't fucking care' what he said after Neil deGrasi Tyson mentioned the stars in Titanic weren't right?

Then he changed them in a re-release. :lol:

Oops, I got Ripley confused with Cameron my bad.

Cameron is still an artist though

You also got Ellen Ripley confused with Ridley Scott

Last edited:
I posted about the original Black Panther 2 script in its thread, so I suppose it's fair I post this here. Rule of thumb, if I remember my screenwriting courses correctly from way back when, is that 1 page should equal 1 minute of screentime.
variety.com

Canceled ‘Avatar’ Sequel, Titled ‘The High Ground,’ Had a 132-Page Script and Zero Gravity Battle: ’There’s Great Stuff in It’

James Cameron revealed in Sept. that he spent an entire year writing an “Avatar” sequel that ended up being thrown in the trash. So what exactly was that sequel? The filmmaker finally d…
"I was working with a team of writers. We had a lot of ideas," Cameron said. "We kept trying to corral it into a box and it never quite fit. So at a certain point, I said, 'I'll just finish it, and see if it's a movie.' I did. It came out, I think, at 130 pages. It was like, 'Man, this is a great story. This is a hell of a read.'"

"Avatar: The High Ground" got axed because "it was missing one of those critical elements about sequels, which is that it didn't go enough into the unexpected," Cameron explained. "It also didn't play enough by 'Avatar' rules, which is to connect us to the dream world, that which has a spiritual component that we can't even quite quantify in words. It ticked every other box, but it didn't tick that one."

I heard that's actually getting adapted as a comic book prequel now. Though if they're going to make so many of these damn films they'd better put in a space battle at some point.

So is saw a review from the Telegraph, which gave it 1/5 stars and called it plot-less:

www.telegraph.co.uk

Avatar 2 is finally here – and it’s like being waterboarded with turquoise cement

James Cameron’s decade-in-the-making The Way of Water has no plot, no stakes and atrocious dialogue. What happened to this great director?

I take it with a grain on salt, as the reviewer seems to have been in a cave for a while.

"But who wants to spend three hours watching a video game?"

How in the year of 2022 has a news service writer not heard of twitch streaming?

So is saw a review from the Telegraph, which gave it 1/5 stars and called it plot-less:

www.telegraph.co.uk

Avatar 2 is finally here – and it’s like being waterboarded with turquoise cement

James Cameron’s decade-in-the-making The Way of Water has no plot, no stakes and atrocious dialogue. What happened to this great director?

I take it with a grain on salt, as the reviewer seems to have been in a cave for a while.

How in the year of 2022 has a news service writer not heard of twitch streaming?
I've heard reports that most reviews of Avatar are fairly postive, except for ones from the UK, which are all far more negative.

www.telegraph.co.uk

They live in a better world than us okay.

that was also true of the first movie and no one was really expecting otherwise.

No one who fans avatar does so for the story.

(I don't fan Avatar because I don't care about graphics.)
I dont know, Ive heard some people say the the extremely threadbare plot and pretty graphics arent enough to carry them through a 3+ hour slog and Im not sure the conditions that made the first avatar so successful stil exist.

Back