Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

The Calculator
by TLPG (TimeLoopedPowerGamer)

Story summary: The world was not what it seemed...
The Office
The Calculator
by TLPG (TimeLoopedPowerGamer)

Story summary: The world was not what it seemed. Too bad his only superpower was common sense and the world already thought he was a (very minor) supervillain.

I was returning to my computer with a third cup of coffee when the heavily armed cosplayer walked past me, flipped a desk, and started strangling my boss.

This was one of those moments that defines a person. How you think you'd react is just a lie you tell yourself, no matter how much of an Internet tough guy you are. Read the studies.

For example, all that introspective garbage was going through my head when any sort of pre-planning for office violence scenarios would have had me running ten seconds ago.

"Where is he?" the cosplayer yelled a second time. I'd missed the first shouted words in my panicking.

"I d-don't know! I don't know what you're t-talking about!" My boss struggled, held several inches off the floor by his collar.

The trendy open-office layout allowed the entire company to look on with growing horror. Back of the napkin calculations suggested three seconds until someone screamed.

I hit the floor and crawled past my overturned chair, under the desk behind me, then sprinted through the tech startup's trendy kitchenette and out the back door as the screams started. Made it all the way to the parking lot at a full sprint and into the driver's seat of my car before I stopped and took a mental breath.

Then I did the logical thing. The phone seemed to ring forever.

"Nine-one-one operator. What's your emergency?"

"Ah. Uh. I work at Clover Business Park, downtown." I rattled off the office's name and address. "There's someone attacking...uh, there's a man inside with a weird costume and a sword?" That wasn't a question. What was wrong with me? Oh. Panic and shock. Right.

"Sir, where are you now?"

"Uh. My car. The parking lot."

"What's your name, sir?"

I give her my full name, like I was filling it out on my taxes—middle name and everything—all in a panicked rush.

"Sir, I need you to stay on the line. Help is on the way. Where exactly are you now?"

"In the parking lot. Uh, I said that already. Outside the office."

"Are you away from the attacker?"

My fingers tightened on the steering wheel. "Yes? He was inside and I'm in my car, almost a block away."

"Are you safe there, sir?"

"Yes? And he was- he wasn't shooting but he was attacking someone. Choking them."

"Okay sir, I understand. He wasn't shooting but he had a gun?"

"Yes."

"Sir, I need you to not attempt to reenter the building. Do not enter the building again. Please stay where you are and stay on the line."

There was a short pause. The call was muted on her end, with no open line sounds. The woman came back with a weird tone in her voice. "Sir, from the information provided I have to ask this question based on Federal law. Sir, do you believe this is a supervillain attack?"

"I...what?"

"Did you recognize the costumed man? Can you give me a description of his costume and any powers he might have used?"

I blinked, trying to remember every detail. "He was dressed as...Deathstroke, I think? Two-tone red and black mask, shoulder-slung sword, black combat suit with armored plates. Had a large pistol…but, I didn't see what type...or any, uh, powers? What is this about?"

"Sir, this information is required for first response reasons." Another silent pause. "I have noted your description. It is consistent with a known supervillain. He is not listed as a potential disaster-area event, but you still need to stay away from the location of the attack. Again sir, please remain on the phone and stay where you are. Help is on the way."

The phone made an alarm noise and vibrated like crazy. I jerked it away from my ear and looked down, hand shaking. The call window had a mute symbol over it and was minimizing down to a corner of the screen. A strange new app came up—really shiny user interface, several spinning icons, and high contrast black text on a bright white background, all moving as smooth as silk.

The alarm ended and big, blocky text appeared centered on the screen. "Your position has been compromised with threat assessment certainty of 90%. Evade and hide protocols engaged."

A map popped up, driving instructions underneath. I stared at the screen. Nothing like that was installed on my phone. The program was unfamiliar and the instructions-

A digital clock was counting down from thirty-five seconds. At thirty-one, there was an explosion down the block from the direction of the offices I'd just fled. A tiny video window in a corner opened—what was the resolution on this thing anyway?—to show the costumed man stepping out of a hole in a wall. Looked like my company's building. The server room back wall, maybe? He stepped out of the rubble and onto the sidewalk.

The image was clearly from a security camera and…my phone had just hacked it automatically? Somehow? The costumed man glanced up at the camera, paused, and just like in a movie a pistol appeared in his hand, drawn lightning fast from a holster on his leg. A casual gesture to one side, like swatting a fly, and he shot out the camera without looking. The app window went black, then closed.

The costumed man was heading straight for the parking lot. My phone was warning me there were less than twenty-six seconds before he got here.

My key fumbled against the ignition. The hybrid started almost silently. I pealed out and roared down the street, phone stuffed haphazardly in the center console. A block later, I slowed down and started making random turns. Sirens in the distance faded as I got lost in downtown traffic.

Ten minutes later outside a Starbucks my phone directed me to, I did the worst parallel parking job of my life. My shaking hands held up the phone again and I saw what I should have checked before. The 911 call had apparently ended. The video window was still gone, but the "threat assessment" was down to 23%. Whatever that meant.

There was also some symbol that looked like a compass with a line through it on the status bar. I clicked it and the words "Mode: Tracking Disabled," appeared, along with a list of what looked like GPS locations with cell tower icons next to them.

I stared at the phone. It wasn't the phone I remembered putting in my pocket that morning. It was the same size and basic appearance. But it wasn't...right. It- no, this was all too much. The phone wasn't the most important part.

Right now I had to start thinking about how to deal with having been in a workplace active shooter situation. But also how it had apparently been perpetrated by someone dressed as a comicbook villain.

And how the 9-1-1 operator had acted like that sort of thing was real and expected. Her questions had turned really odd.

This...this wasn't reality. Something was catastrophically wrong.

I'd decided long ago what to do in this sort of...situation, but that had been idle speculation. The sort of discussion common to nerd bullshit sessions. The same sort of thing as zombie apocalypse planning. But it included that scenario as well.

It went like this. If you found yourself suddenly pulled into a fantasy world, developing amazing superpowers all of a sudden after a trauma, or were tracked down by a wounded knight with a sword claiming you're the long-lost prince of a magical kingdom, the correct response is to check your mental health. Immediately.

What's more likely? That everything you've ever known was wrong and this new situation was the real truth of the world; or that you're being tricked, gas-lighted, and slash or are just mentally unstable and having a schizophrenic break.

The relative likelihood was...this was a perception failure. In the real world, judging super-powers versus psychotic breaks, from a statistical point of view, always, one hundred percent of the time, fell on the side of psychotic breaks.

If I started thinking I had been attacked by a real supervillain, or that I could fly and shoot lasers out of my eyes—well, I would have to assume I was crazy instead. But the emergency operator, the costumed man, the weird not-my-phone thing, it all had some rational explanation. I could work through this.

Time to prepare for Google information overload. Coffee required. Maybe Starbucks sold straitjackets now.

Last edited:
On SI characters
Alright, this is interesting and I really like your approach. No ROB or his dumb truck, no reincarnation, no reality jumping, just suddenly everything starts going horribly wrong and this kind of start is fresh as hell

Stories that start with a self-insert character talking to God, Death, or some other ROB usually disappoint me as well. Everything happening to the main character is for DC-canon sourced reasons.

I'm aiming for more of a rationally built world with schizo-tech, magic, and superpowers. Economics and society should work based on realistic outcomes of these things existing. It doesn't look like our world.

Please tell me this is information broker Calculator and not "Look at me, I wear a literal calculator for some stupid reason" Calculator.

This will be a smart, mastermind-style Calculator in a realistic world. Campy comics stuff like that won't be appearing, but the same themes might shine through occasionally as a nod and wink to the source material.

Coffee
I stumbled out of my car, just remembering to take the keys. The barista had to ask twice for my order—I'd played with the weird new programs on my phone all the way to the front of the line without noticing. Ordering something at random, I sat at a table near the door, back to the wall, one hand clutching my phone and the other pouring too-hot coffee into my mouth.

This wasn't my phone. Up close and not panicking, it was clear. The size was about right and it unlocked to my swipe code plus fingerprint, but not even the opening screen was right. Everything was oddly shiny, slick, with constantly moving animations. It didn't have any ports or buttons at all—Apple's wet dream. The frame felt unusually flexible and light. The screen bent almost in half without damage.

I loaded a random YouTube video, checked the device settings, then ran a couple of tests. The screen's resolution and refresh rate were absurd, and my bandwidth was far beyond LTE. It wasn't running any OS version I knew of. Maybe something from a foreign market? And even if that were true, it still didn't have a consistent look and feel—like a rooted phone some enthusiast had spent way too much time on. There were a ton of custom apps installed, with bland default icons and weird names.

For one crazy second I considered a scenario where a hacker took over my phone and changed both the software and hardware. Download more RAM for your PC, indeed. Perhaps I should ditch it. It might be related to the morning's violent events…that I was still not really processing.

Right. Had to think this through. Top priority was violence, not my phone. A weirdly dressed man attacked the office. Was there some fan convention in town? Had this crazy guy wandered over from the Staples Center or something? I poked at a few online events lists and came up with...nothing.

Not "no fan events this week in Los Angeles," but no comic or superhero movie events ever—none for Star Trek or Star Wars, either. And...the Staples Center was apparently now the "LexCorp Center," so named since...it opened in 1999, funded in large part by LexCorp to the tune of $120 million for naming rights for ten years, plus undisclosed additional money to lock up the rights for good in 2009. Multiple news stories agreed, from multiple news sources. Really.

So...new tab. Nope, no search results on popular superhero, sci-fi, and comics movies or TV shows either. Literally no pages...except for Ronald Reagan's SDI.

Interesting. There was a moderately popular annual "Western Comics Hoedown" in San Diego, but it was for...oh, naturally. Old-West themed serial comics. Ones about settlers, cowboys, and Native Americans.

New search. Tap to open results in new tabs, tap, tap, tap.

Umm...okay. Started out like you'd think in the 1920s. Cowboys and Indians. Focuses changed over the years. A lot of them were now about historic cultural problems faced by the Native Americans instead of mindless gunfights. Weird. I could totally dig this fandom, if it wasn't an oddly detailed pile of completely made-up shit.

Close. Tabs.

I checked again. It still wasn't April first.

So. This phone, which was not my phone, had been hacked and I was getting hilarious redirects on Google and DuckDuckGo, plus some humorous fake Wikipedia pages. Some sort of DNS thing was my guess. It was always DNS. How this helped the crazy person who broke into my building was anyone's guess, but it seemed an odd coincidence if it was somehow unrelated. I hadn't entered any of my website passwords again on this phone and the secured sites for all my stuff, including email, were coming up fine. Maybe my password locker software had been compromised?

In any case, I should be calling the police now. On another phone...but of course there wasn't a pay phone so I'd have to hope that feature wasn't compromised. Or borrow a phone, maybe.

I had just been in a pretty serious violent situation. I had what was likely a piece of evidence, and had also sort-of fled the scene. The shock was starting to wear off and my coffee was almost finished. I was out of excuses.

Thirty seconds into looking up the non-emergency number for the LAPD, a dialog box popped up, obscuring the screen. "Action contra-indicated by current threat profile. Gathering information for alternatives. Increasing user engagement level. Calculating…"

A console screen straight out of a nineties hacker movie opened under it, text scrolling fast. The video from before of the maniac blowing up the server room played in a corner, looping over and over again at the point where the cosplayer looked at the camera. Red lines picked out spots on his face and the image froze. In a flash, it changed and the same thing happened to...a picture of me. Right now.

A voice spoke directly in my ear. "Second level identity check complete. Initial threat analysis confirmed."

I jumped, my phone dropping to the table. It was like someone had leaned over my shoulder and spoken directly into my ear.

"Members of TriD Information Systems targeted by armed threat, ID Slade Wilson. Police already aware of threat. 34% chance of informational penetration of Los Angeles law enforcement databases by forces willing to sell information to Slade Wilson. Contact with LAPD not suggested at this time."

The voice was really loud and clear, easily cutting through the noise in the crowded Starbucks. Looking around there was no one nearby. It didn't seem like anyone else heard it. No glances my way, no annoyed glares at the noise.

"What the hell is going on?" I said to no one.

"Narrowcast directional speakers targeting only the logged-in user," the voice instantly replied.

It had an artificial tone to it, something subtly off, but the growly, L.A. Latina-accented voice still blew the Apple and Microsoft TTS voices out of the water. There was also a diagram on the screen that looked like overlapping arcs and a representation of a human head, seen from above, with the moving arcs hitting its ears.

The voice continued. "General interest by threat Slade Wilson indicated by theft of company HR local and cloud-based files, as well as network routing logs. Specific interest or target not indicated directly. Company IT operations logs stolen from server room, along with company on-premise file storage. Your darknet infrastructure endpoints, inserted into the company's local network communications systems, are still secure based on access and network log analysis. Attack executed by a single USB-based attack package inserted directly into servers. No ongoing remote or local attacks detected. No worms detected. Services hashed, and CRC against ROM files in remote digital dead-drop storage location complete: pass. New index sets for all data integrity checks marked as 'suspect' from this point forward. Warning: five one-time security tokens remain for this operation. Note: these must be updated in person to preserve integrity of this security system. Scheduling reminder created. Calculating…

"Primary, secondary, and tertiary identity profiles secure. All thirty-three extent, weak online identities secure. Current residence secured by previous TDIS HR identity spoofing and protection measures. Ongoing passive informational surveillance status: secure. On-site physical security status: nominal. For further inquiries, see: identity obfuscation measures, home-site security infrastructure, remote site procedures. Suggested next course of action: finish your coffee and return to home site. Threat analysis, calculating..."

Another window opened and a series of wire-frame figures blurred through various poses and attacks. Numbers appeared and vanished. Areas were circled and highlighted, then immediately overlaid with new windows. From where I slumped in my chair, looking down at the phone, the angle was bad but the image was still crystal clear.

"Hard-light engine countermeasures currently unavailable. Low likelihood of directly countering Slade Wilson in current condition. Escape after close-range encounter problematic. Top-level summary: suggest avoiding contact at all costs, including loss of current alternate identity."

This...wasn't as easy to explain as web page spoofs and redirects. I slowly picked up my phone.

The moment I touched the screen, my browser window opened again. Good. I wasn't going to sit here and talk to a phone in public—a magic super-phone which appeared to have a complex voice interface now.

Manually looking up Deathstroke resulted in some obviously fake news stories as well as a deleted (and much debated) "not notable" Wikipedia page for an international super-criminal. Nothing else appeared in Google. Then the window folded away and another window opened. Then another, and another. I swiped through them, scanning as fast as I could. Criminal records, straight out of digitized FBI case files, leading back to the '90s. Something called the CBI had a more detailed-looking personal profile. Homeland Security reports on terrorism and international crime. Something called...The Agency? And...the fuck...Cadmus analysis of his superpowers and possible related genetic features.

The phone slid out of my fingers, clacking against the table. I slugged back the—uh, tall mocha I guess it was—one last time.

"What-" I coughed on lukewarm coffee dregs, tried again in a whisper. "What are- No, go back. What 'alternate identity'? What are you talking about?"

The stolen, highly-illegal files minimized. My drivers license appeared on the screen. Then my employment records, letters from my bank, phone bills. All with my name on them.

I took a deep breath. "Right. Okay. That's not an alternate identity. What do you think is my real name?"

The phone spoke again, directly into my ears. "Top level security query detected. Optical protection factor engaged. Scanning all frequencies and meta-wavelengths to confirm identity."

A green light flashed from the front of the phone into my eyes. I blinked, hard.

"Confirmed. Reporting available information on public and other active identities: Current public identity established December 12, 2015. Original public identity wiped from all local systems. Date of this data deletion event not available. Documentation on this event not available. Secure visual output activated."

The phone's screen went totally black, then a logo appeared in my vision, floating a few inches in front of my face. It flickered slightly, like a sci-fi hologram. Maybe from a visual equivalent of the audio system?

It was a pair of dark shades, square and retro, on a green background.

"Displaying primary branding for your online business identity: Calculator."

Last edited:
No really, who is the Calculator
Are Wendy and marvin his kids in your version

If so, the SI doesn't remember them.

Ok that was nice but there one thing who the heck is the calculator?

Minor DC villain. Criminal mastermind. Info broker. Someone who would sell you the answer to such questions--about other villains, at least.

Many versions, including mine, don't have superpowers. Also, mine doesn't remember being the Calculator.

Don't worry. I'll be explaining as I go, since he does know who the Calculator is but he doesn't know anything about this world's version of the character.

Dressed up as a calculator and tried to fight Batman, then became the villains' Oracle.

Batman'd.

Likely didn't actually do the themed outfit, however.

Slade Wilson and a river in Egypt
Real question is, why is Slade breaking into a office for some cloud data?

This is kinda overkill, no?

Slade and 'overkill' are old friends. My favorite scene is him realizing he can't fight Cassandra Cain at close range, and frag grenading himself to get her to back off.

Slade is made entirely from overkill. In this situation, the cloud data wasn't his only objective. He did a lot more than that, as the data barf reported. Breaking in and doing the computer hack itself might not even have been the point. I'm following canon by making him a planner, not a dumb thug. Cost-benefit analysis is his modus operandi. Barging in like that was for a reason that will become clear soon.

Really hoping that we're past the denial phase now, anymore and it'll just be annoying.

SI hasn't even figured out what's going on yet, but irrational denial won't happen (for very long). One of the primary elements I'm exploring in this story is how the SI responds to apparently extreme changes in perception. Exploring how he sees himself and what he finds out about this new reality is what the first arc of this story is about. No "this isn't possible" ranting though.

Home
The Calculator was a minor DC supervillain. The phone was claiming I used that name. So...I was supposed to be the Calculator? In a DC universe of some kind?

I did have a phone that used tech like nothing I'd seen before. Flexible screens, free-air, multi-view hologram projectors, and super-precise directed audio systems were technically possible, but not in any existing device. Certainly not at this size.

But was it a supervillain's phone? It had automated plans to escape from urban ninja attacks, spoofed my location on a national cellular network, and stole files from the FBI and other spooky agencies. And yet...it looked almost exactly like my phone as I remembered it.

I needed more information. Something to confirm what I seemed to be seeing. Something more involved to knock out any delusions, challenge my perceptions. And if they didn't confirm what I seemed to be seeing...it was psychological help time. I still couldn't risk doing something that would hurt people, including myself, but it needed to be physical. Anonymous, if possible, as my perceptions of this apparently new reality might be true. No reason to unnecessarily risk death by ninja assassin.

Glancing around the Starbucks, I found my target. My empty cup was kept as a prop, my phone was ready in my other hand. Closing my eyes for a moment, I worked up my courage, then stood.

"Excuse me," I said. "What type of phone is that?"

The nerdy-looking young man looked up at me in that minor confusion people get when a stranger bothers them in public. "Uh, an LX-Seven?"

"Huh. My wife picked this one out for me, but I don't think that's the model." I held up my phone where he could see it.

"Turn it over," he said.

Jackpot. A talkative nerd. He leaned forward, ignoring the social awkwardness as I'd hoped for a chance to talk tech.

He shook his head. "Nah, that looks like one of those Chinese knockoffs. Sorry."

"Yours has the-" I flex my screen back and forth.

He nods and does the same. The screen bends smoothly. "It's the 2017 model. LexFlex, 10G with the 5K screen."

I shrug. "Yeah, that's not mine. Ah well. Thanks." I had no idea the model, but that wasn't the point. He'd seen the phone. He claimed his own had absurd specs.

Walking outside again was like that scene in Back to the Future II. I don't know how I missed this. Blame the shock.

My car was a slick, late-model hybrid electric, just like I remembered. But it looked like a twenty-year-old Buick compared to some of the futuristic cars parked right next to it. One of them had gull-wing doors and a '50s style torpedo taillight mount. Another looked like a flying car, with folded up wings on the roof and a huge, rear-mounted jet-engine-thing. Maybe it was a flying car.

A full, building-sized billboard at the end of the street was projecting a 3D hologram a dozen feet out from the high-rise. It barely flickered, bright and clear in the full daylight. Some movie. Not a Jaws sequel.

A low, droning noise froze me in place. I slowly looked up.

The gray airship floated a couple of hundred feet up, drifting above the L.A. city streets. It was huge, much larger than the Goodyear blimp. Looked like a rigid envelope, unlike the semi-rigid one blimps had—a true Zeppelin-style craft. Gray, scaly panels covered the surface like armor, and it seemed to lack a passenger compartment. Smooth instrument (or weapon) pods were attached to the bottom and sides. The appearance was less retro-'30s and more Blade Runner.

Okay. Either these were vividly awesome complex hallucinations, or something unprecedented in my knowledge of how reality worked had happened to me.

I bought up the local news on my phone. They were reporting the attack on the downtown offices of TriD. Nothing new, just initial story fluff with no details.

The obvious conclusion had been that I was deeply mentally ill. But things were too consistent. I was seeing things that seemed impossible, but it wasn't small things, or things no one else could see. It was big things, and it all seemed to add up.

Other people had similar phones to the one I did, with impossible tech specs. A tourist on the crowded sidewalk in front of me looked up at the airship. The news was reporting on the attack I been in, with all details consistent to what I remembered.

If I was really in a comicbook universe, there was one last thing to check.

I considered myself a calm, logical person, but something about the cobalt blue statue made my throat feel tight and all the hairs stand up on my neck and arms.

It didn't look straight out across the park plaza but slightly up at the sky. The humanoid man's hands rested at ease on his hips, elbows akimbo in the classic pose. The icon on his chest was red on yellow, and his cape was a red cloth flag, flapping in the breeze.

According to the memorial tablet, in 1998 Superman had stopped a plot to trigger massive earthquakes with a bomb in the San Andreas Fault, saving potentially hundreds of thousands of lives.

I wasn't going to believe all this just because of seeing a Superman statue. I didn't even know if this Superman was someone worthy of such praise. But...it sure helped put things in perspective. I took a picture then headed home. It had been worth the drive.

Perhaps it wasn't what I was seeing now but my memories that were screwed up.

Sitting in a driveway exactly like my own, I checked the GPS and street address again. This looked sort of like my house but it...wasn't. It was in the wrong place. And something about being here, about the building was again subtly...wrong.

This wasn't the address on the paperwork I'd given my employers—I double-checked that from an old email. That address was listed under my "alternate identity" name on the phone. If you'd asked me yesterday what my address was, I'd have used that one.

Right now I was parked outside a house at the address noted in the "Calculator" identity profile. I'd used the location saved in my phone as "Home" and ended up here. I hadn't even noticed until I was pulling in that anything was wrong.

About to run the other address through Google maps, the one I remembered, I paused. Maybe I was crazy, but this seemed like a good time to be a little paranoid. It isn't like it would hurt anyone to be a little careful.

I looked around at the empty residential streets, then held my phone closer to my mouth. "Uh, phone...computer? Is it still safe to use the internet? Can that guy track me here...somehow? Or track my internet usage?"

The response was instantaneous. "Online identities remain secure. Local cell network traffic profile does not indicate infiltration or subversion—other than your own, of course. Countermeasures confirmed functional against Man-in-the-Middle attacks on cryptographic services. SSL protections confirmed. Location information obscured through blinded endpoints.

"No active or passive tracking devices detected on current vehicle. Location of Slade Wilson calculated to be 85% likely to be at least fifteen miles away. Second Generation VPN tunnel active—requests currently routed through a botnet in Mexico with a blind endpoint. Temporary identity in place. Alternate identity elements protected. You are not being tracked. You are free to use the internet."

Well. Okay. I loaded the online map and checked it street by street, starting at the offices and using the address for the "Calculator."

It was one turn, a block from work. Everything after that was a complete mess, nothing like what I remembered. I backtracked and entered the address I remembered for my house. Google had a street view picture of a house at the address. I'd never been there before. It had a vague similarity to the building I was currently in front of—the Calculator's house. Some of the nearby buildings there seemed familiar, but I was absolutely sure I'd never driven down that street.

There was a pile of mail in what I guessed was my box. It had my work identity name on it, not the Calculator. I juggled it with my phone to get out the front door key. It didn't turn in the lock. Carefully trying all the keys on my keyring one by one resulted in the same.

Looking at my phone balanced on the junk mail, I saw a tiny live video of myself and a red lock symbol. When I raised my hand the video perfectly copied the motion. The camera taking that must be in or around the doorframe. There was absolutely no lag, so my phone was likely connected directly—and automatically. Sensing a growing pattern, I set down the mail on the front mat and looked closer at the entryway to the familiar-yet-not house.

And there it was, as I had sort-of expected. A flat plastic plate next to the door. I didn't remember anything like it. I also found a tiny hole, like a nail-hole, set high in the door frame. A pinhole camera port. Covering it with my thumb blacked out the live video on my phone. I went back to staring at the plate. Pressing my finger against it did nothing, nor was a hidden RFID chip in my wallet activated when I waved it past the plate. My eye returned to the keys still hanging from my hand.

By now I saw the pattern. I knew I'd find something on my keychain but the actual object puzzled me. It looked like an aluminum cylinder, about two inches long, a quarter inch wide, with a perfectly flat end. I, of course, had no memory of it. It had a seam on one end but was stuck (magnetically?) to a key ring mount—I couldn't pull it off the mount by hand. With a resigned sigh, I pressed the metal plug to the plate.

There was a shock to my hand, like static electricity on a fuzzy carpet, then the metal plug was pulled hard against the plate, disconnecting from my keychain with a click. The plug was sucked into the plate, leaving nothing behind on the smooth, flat surface.

My phone beeped. A series of lines covered the image of me standing in front of the door. Sections were highlight in red blinking squares as features were picked out. Numbers and labels scrolled past faster than I could read. The phone beeped, a whir, then the metal cylinder was sticking straight out of the plate again.

The stub left on the keyring had no obvious connector but I raised my keyring towards the metal plug. It jumped more than half a foot and latched back on the keyring mount with a click. The lock symbol on the phone turned green and something behind the doorframe clicked. The door swung open slowly.

It was a solid metal door painted to look like the wooden one I remembered. The hinges were thick, the door frame also made of what looked like steel, but might have been some super-science metal. Other than that, the hallway looked just as I remembered. Same layout, same pictures. No wait. There was a new hatch in the hallway ceiling, something plastic-looking with a seam in the middle. It screamed hidden weapon to me as I walked under it. The door closed by itself behind me with a solid clunk.

This was the Calculator's secret lair. I was home.

Last edited:
Canon and Comics
Alternatively, Felicity Smoak's dad in the Arrowverse.

I don't think any DC movie or TV canon is getting into this story universe. Sorry if anyone's a fan.

Now, remember to always put your elbows on the table with both hands together in front of your mouth whenever you make plans.
The Gendo pose is a must do for all thinking base supervillians.

Gendo is a computer-illiterate action scrub compared to the Calculator. Can't use your keyboard if you're too busy posing.

Cowboy comics, huh. No pirates?

He was looking into the popular scene. I'm sure they exist, but they aren't anywhere near as popular. Also, I don't want to confuse things with Watchmen.

what about completely origonal comics unrelated to our universe? why cowboys and indians?

I'm sure they exist. There will even be superhero comics in the DC universe, but they aren't the popular scene they are IRL. Calculator was looking into popular properties he knew of and related fan events. Those fandoms don't exist at the same level in this 'verse.

Cowboy comics and Old West themed media is my choice to represent the most popular fandom scene in this 'verse, replacing comics and sci-fi themed media. In most DC universes, the major divergences are usually just before and during WWII. One of the popular things at that time IRL was Western comics. I'm extrapolating from there.

In my DC 'verse, Western comics and TV are still a very, very big thing. Hard to get excited about sci-fi novels and superhero comics when real mad scientists have moon bases and Superman exists.

Last edited:
Computer
The house was the same as I remembered for the most part. But occasionally there would be something totally off. A sci-fi looking toaster oven thing, replacing the microwave. The refrigerator had a holographic video panel. The little office I used instead of a third bedroom was the most changed. It had the computer.

The smartphone had been weird. The laptop sitting on my desk was just straight-up magical-bullshit comics superscience. At first, it had simply looked like a very skinny notebook PC. But when I flipped the lid, it kept folding back, turned inside-out, and formed a full-sized keyboard. A flat, mouse-shaped object deployed out the side, then popped up like origami. There was no screen in sight.

I reached for the keyboard. When my fingers touched it, a shock ran from my fingertips all the way up my spine. The keyboard then lit up with lines of bright white light. A glowing image flickered into view over the desk displaying some text and an entry box. Ignoring the futuristic holographic monitor, it looked like a desktop login. The background was the Calculator logo, spinning in place.

There was no username, just the word "Password" and a text box. I entered the password I remembered using in this room, on a completely different computer, in what seemed like a totally different lifetime. It worked.

Notices and alerts filled the screen, then two new screens flickered into view on each side of the first. One had my personal email account—the civilian identity—but the other had an unfamiliar mail app with dozens of unread messages. Ominous looking ones. I ignored all that for now to review the hardware.

The laptop had over a petabyte of local storage. Available on remote storage was...over twenty exabytes. Free storage, not total. The laptop's CPUs were measured in gigahertz, but there were three different processor items listed, each with twenty physical cores apiece. And they weren't called the CPU. For RAM speed it had what looked like the speed of light plus a volume measurement—with a terabyte total random access storage. Yep. Moving on.

I clicked around some using what looked like the empty shell of a mouse lit from within by a pale blue light. The OS was in fact Linux, and the local file structure seemed logical, but some of the directories hinted at strange contents. Seriously, who has a folder labeled "blackmail"? And another one, "blackmail_important." The fact that each was full of nested directories with names ripped straight out of comic books only made it odder. Seemed kinda stupid. If it was me, they'd be full of total bullshit, and the real files would be...huh. Look into that later.

And I couldn't find any applications.

"Uh, computer?" I asked out loud, feeling a little stupid.

"Awaiting command." The voice was again spooky-clear, broadcast directly into my ears.

"...take a note, please?"

"Indicate desired security level," the voice replied with no delay.

"What are the security levels?" I asked, leaning back in the chair with a sigh. My chair. It was exactly the same chair I remembered.

"Available levels are: standard, remote secured, maximum security directive."

I was going to write down completely out of universe knowledge, stuff that might get people killed. I had to be sure of this.

"List items under maximum."

"Confirm request: list all files under maximum security directive."

"Yes, do it."

"Please move five inches to the right."

At this point, I didn't even question it. The second I scooted the chair over, five probes sprang out of the ceiling, surrounding me. A beam shot out from one, scanning me from head to toe. The devices on the other arms whirred, buzzed, or remained completely silent and mysterious.

"Security question required," the computer voice said. "What is your purpose?"

Really? After all that high-tech nonsense? There had to be something more to this.

"I, uh-"

The computer interrupted. "Identity confirmed." The probes—which had been what, monitoring me thinking about that question?—withdrew. Huh. I was in.

Clicking through all the folders took about half an hour. It was impressive. Plans to help defend the Earth from all sorts of internal and alien attacks, stolen schematics for power suits and death rays, locations and effects of mystical artifacts. All with notes on who had paid for information regarding each. A ledger of both paid and outstanding contracts.

It looked like some of the business contracts ran without any input from me, just darknet websites, dead drops, and expert systems taking and fulfilling gray and black market requests for information. Over a year of records on completely automated business. Since last December, nothing but the automated business.

Cash on hand for the Calculator identity was over a million US dollars and...it was clean. Laundered by automated systems. I didn't see a list of other assets here, but based on some related notes on remote sites, I figured it was at least that much. Maybe a lot more.

Not sure how I felt about that. Money solved a lot of problems, but brought lots of problems in return. I was fairly sure these records were real.

If this had been a prank or someone gaslighting me, it would have involved gifting me with a desktop supercomputer and the creation of years worth of records on a fake criminal enterprise. That theory was just about finished.

If this was me losing my mind and having complex hallucinations, I should get someone to write it up as the most awesome and extensive case of grandiose and paranoid delusions ever. That was seeming less and less likely, too.

A new theory was that there was something very wrong with my memory. And that could mean someone did this to me.

Speaking of paranoia, there were reports here on the personal side of things for the Calculator. Threat analysis for those who might try to bring my supervillain alter-ego to justice, updated and autogenerated from headlines and hacked law enforcement records all the way down to the regional level. Information on a hard light system and an AI program to counter any superhero, magic, or superscience device. An entire folder was just labeled "Batman."

That was the last straw. Browser open, Wikipedia time. A strange icon appeared next to the one showing HTTPS was working labeled "Location Obscured". Thanks, supertech laptop.

I typed in "Batman". Like Deathstroke, a deleted "not notable" page. The discussion page was...odd.

Talk:The Batman

Deletion again [edit]

Please stop reverting page deletion. Does not meet (Wikipedia:Notability) guidelines. Rumors can be added to the (Wikiproject Superhero) page (Superhero_Mythology), under the (Modern) section. When and if any so-called "Batman" is arrested, gives a press release or grants an interview, we can look at this more seriously. Reverts are now locked for a month on this page. Again.

Conspiracy [edit]

Batman is clearly an false flagged government scheem to TRICK the villians in to all gathering in one place. This must be represented in it's own page, not buried in some other pagno one reads..

sorry [edit]

No, Gothem City published gossip rags are not reliable independient sources. Deleted.

REAL! [edit]

The Bat is real is the coolest evere!!! See (here)!!!!!!

Not this again [edit]

No serious newspaper, magazine, or TV news program has run a story with proof of the existence of the "The Batman." Deleted for lack of support.

And...close the tab. At least some things didn't change. Maybe the computer could compile a report for me on what the public knew about superheroes. And what my files contained.

Sigh. I still had to make those notes on what I remembered about the DC universe. Even when it was potentially to save all life on the planet, I couldn't seem to avoid wasting time on Wikipedia.

SI and Leaks . Japan.
Wait, so does the SI have the Calc's 'genius level intellect' then? Or is he flying by the seat of his pants trying to use common sense backed up by technology? Either way, interesting fic and I eagerly await updates.

The Calculator is a self insert, so I'm trying to give him my basic skills and intelligence. Well, he's actually a mix of myself and someone else I know. We're both technology professionals with proven skills, in fields where "average" doesn't cut it. So yes. Not to put too fine a point on it, this means very, very smart. But no comic book "genius level intellect" for the Calculator. Rather, the real-world version. No BBC "Sherlock" level nonsense and shenanigans, but also no bumbling, genius villain tropes.

They will not rue the day they messed with The Calculator. I will not show them, oh yes, show them all, mwahaha.

Expect a smart, rational reactions, introspection and self-evaluations based on a shade-tree-mechanic-level understanding of human psychology, and a practical futurist's approach to using available super-science tech in a logically built near-future world. Hope that makes sense.

AFAIK in 'canon' (such as it is), Marvel exists in DC and vice versa (Marvel also has in-universe comics about the fictionalized real-life adventures of some actual Marvel heroes, but I don't know if the same applies to DC). But it's your story.

Well, if I had to choose between "common sense but normal intelligence" vs "genius intellect but only as much common sense as a supervillain", I know which I'd pick.

Some properties in Marvel and DC have "leaks" from the modern real world, usually done for a larf. This includes cross-property stuff sometimes. My DC universe doesn't have these elements. Such things don't interest me, so my story uses a pop-culture divergence point.

Past that, some cultural elements simply don't exist. I'm thinking this was in the 1920s. So "yes" on Sherlock Holmes, Tolkien (just barely), and Dracula (but no Béla Lugosi), and "no" on Kurt Vonnegut, Elvis, and The Matrix. Some companies and consumer products will remain the same, others won't.

See above for notes on SI character intelligence and tropes.

All versions had genius level intellect (which doesn't really mean much in DC Verse) and some versions had technopathy, which meant they could communicate with machines with their minds. As TLPG says above, this guy has none of that so it's unlikely he'll continue as the Calculator for long.

SI will take up the mantle of the Calculator. You're correct about the no powers thing. At least, no magical or mutant powers.

In the real world, police and doctors exist and yet you get TV shows about them, so superhero-based media in a superhero world isn't impossible. And although the DC Universe has real spaceships and aliens, the general public probably doesn't know a lot about them, so there's no reason why the world can't have Star Trek and Star Wars (or something similar).

(And does this world have anime such as Naruto or One Piece where the characters all have unique powers and appearances and fight each other a lot? It's a lot like superheroes, but they're never called that. Does it have Sentai/Power Rangers?)

Also, I never believed the whole Batman as an urban legend idea. Unless you also took him out of the Justice League and such.

No popular sci-fi properties in my DC universe. Japanese pop-culture never made the huge jump to America, but anime exists. No Disney cartoons means the practice of animation itself is very behind RL. See detailed notes on cultural divergence above. Hope that answers these points.

My 'verse's Batman is part of a moderately new Justice League, but he keeps to the shadows instead of running press conferences. The public who are in the know think Superman runs the JL. The truth is a little more complicated. Also:
Someone is doing information scrubbing on the internet for him.

Back