Sunlit Sands - An Exalted Campaign (Discussion)

Also, while I've got you here, I don't suppose you have the mass combat hacks in convenient postable form? I've finally got around to working on the Manual of Exalted Power: Municipal fansplat I've been idly headplanning for ages and I'd like to include them as a sidebar in the Mandate chapter. I recall the generalities (drop Might/autosux rules, Magnitude as ablative layers of health levels) but I'm pretty sure I'm missing bits. Appropriate credit etc. etc., I'm gonna ask for peer review in the General Exalted Thread when I have it a bit more together so you can take a look then to check I'm not plagiarising you :V.

Unforutnately no, nothing like that.... I think I can summarize it. We didn't actually USE THIS in Sunlit Sands, I just roughed it out one day.

Battle Lines:

Instead of a skirmish game that deals in positioning, mass combat is abstracted into an order of battle between two opposing forces set along a one-dimensional line. Your Side and There Side.

Your units [stats idk yet] are arranged in whatever order you want, with different bonuses and weaknesses based on position in formation as well as relative position to enemy units. Ranged units can fire 'over' intervening units, with each mass unit acting as a range marker.

So [Cavalry][Archers][Spearmen] vs [Spearmen][archers][cavalry].

This 'Line of Battle' is resolved [somehow] with units clashing against each other and as one unit falls the next one in line moves up closer to the front.

Certain unit types like [Cavalry] can break apart to create a new battle line, and if the defender doesn't split their army fast enough, you get to make a free attack with [# of active unopposed battle lines].

That's all I remember at the moment.

We didn't actually USE THIS in Sunlit Sands, I just roughed it out one day.

Squints at El Galabi I swear I saw some mass combat tweaks somewhere.

On going back to reread, it looks mostly like you skipped the "commanders wear their units as a pile of autosux" rules and apparently the ablative Magnitude thing is unaltered core, whoops! Mag disparity you were using as dice instead of autosux, which is an alteration. You mention Might like once in the opening fight with the banshee on the way to El Galabi proper and then as far as I can see never bring it up again - yep, just found the bit of OOC where you confirm you dropped Might ratings, which must have happened somewhere off-logs. All in all somewhat less significant than I had apparently built it up to in my head, which is a bit of a shame because I was hoping the people with actual experience playing awesome games of Exalted would have a system I could crib from since I am a theoretician only.

Thanks for going to the trouble of writing out what you've got, though!

Speaking of El Galabi, I'd completely forgotten the experience of trying to envision a military campaign carried out on invisible grid squares on an invisible map until this reminded me. You drove me to pen and paper the first time I read it, did you know that? I haven't used that shit in literally years aside from Uni work but no.

Edit: this is good-natured grumbling over a somewhat frustrating exercise that ended up being a satisfying brain workout, not actual complaining at you, to clarify! Should have put a :V on the end there​

On the flipside, I got to revisit the yidak trying a Thaumaturgic dispel on Sorcery and getting clowned, so all in all I think I win.

Last edited:
Squints at El Galabi I swear I saw some mass combat tweaks somewhere.

Exalted- really any game, becomes a living work once you start playing it, yeah.

The whole discussion about building the army vs Brilliant Raptor is great. It plays the characters off each other and it spotlights how the situation as a whole is... pushing Inks in directions she's not used to? I don't think that's the right phrasing, but she's out of her comfort zone, and dealing with it, and facing the fact that sometimes there's no good or clean options. I mean, obviously she's familiar with that, but it's nice to see the story take a moment to really dive into it and examine it.

So this actually segues into something I want to touch on again, since it got lost in the shuffle of Session 102 and then into the recovery sessions afterwords.

To cover her escape from the Dragon's Camp, and to inflict a lasting strategic blow against his armies, Inks cast Brilliant Raptor on a largely defenseless but to her estimation, critical strategic asset. Or to put it more plainly, she dropped white phosphorous on elders and women (who were the ones doing the job of refining the Fireskinned combat drugs and lorekeeping as per their gender roles).

This by any modern metric is just about a war crime.

I didn't like doing that as a player. Inks didn't like doing it as a character. Her Conviction 5 does not mean she is a robot that immediately and dispassionately calculates some optimal strategy, nor does her intelligence 5 produce an ideal solution faultlessly without prompting. Inks is imperfect, living in an imperfect world, and has to make decisions based on available information filtered through her experiences and values.

But, I think this is a very important thing to allow in a game like Exalted. A game that I to this day believe is at it's strongest when it deals with issues like the use of power, the injustice of having power, and the tribulations that the powerful undergo when using it or not using it. To quote a friend of mine- "violence is horrifying to inflict, and have it inflicted on you."

The underlying point is that Exalted is at it's best when it's not trying to pull punches with it's theme or setting. Oh it has it's janky moments, slipshod writing and gross-out shock-writing we all decry as dated, passe or gauche.

Exalted's struggle though, as a work of media, is to walk the line between critique and critical think-piece, and glorifying the same tropes and experiences it seeks to show in stark relief. Violence is fun, especially in a game- it's a power fantasy! It's being able to choose yes I will do this thing that regular society says I can't or shouldn't do- and if your players have risen past the purielle or adolescent passions that characterize the ur-murder hobo archetype, it can be an interesting thing to explore with respect and decorum. Respect and decorum doesn't mean being so wincingly boring about it, so somber or unenthused, though.

It is, at the end of the day, a game. And in this game I do want to explore the morals and ethics of the characters within it. Explore, with the understanding that delving too deep will bog the experience down. A balance must be struck.

To cover her escape from the Dragon's Camp, and to inflict a lasting strategic blow against his armies, Inks cast Brilliant Raptor on a largely defenseless but to her estimation, critical strategic asset. Or to put it more plainly, she dropped white phosphorous on elders and women (who were the ones doing the job of refining the Fireskinned combat drugs and lorekeeping as per their gender roles).

I'd clean forgotten about that detail! Only more important to take the time to reflect back on that, then.

Inks is imperfect, living in an imperfect world, and has to make decisions based on available information filtered through her experiences and values.
It is, at the end of the day, a game. And in this game I do want to explore the morals and ethics of the characters within it. Explore, with the understanding that delving too deep will bog the experience down. A balance must be struck.

For whatever it's worth coming from an internet stranger who's only just recently wandered into the thread, you and @Aleph do an incredibly impressive job of this stuff; the dedication and genuine passion really shines through. If I had money I would absolutely throw some at your Patreon and I basically never do that.

But, I think this is a very important thing to allow in a game like Exalted. A game that I to this day believe is at it's strongest when it deals with issues like the use of power, the injustice of having power, and the tribulations that the powerful undergo when using it or not using it. To quote a friend of mine- "violence is horrifying to inflict, and have it inflicted on you."

The underlying point is that Exalted is at it's best when it's not trying to pull punches with it's theme or setting. Oh it has it's janky moments, slipshod writing and gross-out shock-writing we all decry as dated, passe or gauche.

Exalted's struggle though, as a work of media, is to walk the line between critique and critical think-piece, and glorifying the same tropes and experiences it seeks to show in stark relief. Violence is fun, especially in a game- it's a power fantasy! It's being able to choose yes I will do this thing that regular society says I can't or shouldn't do- and if your players have risen past the purielle or adolescent passions that characterize the ur-murder hobo archetype, it can be an interesting thing to explore with respect and decorum. Respect and decorum doesn't mean being so wincingly boring about it, so somber or unenthused, though.

This stuff too, but I wanted to engage with this one as a separate point; I see in Exalted a touch of Pratchett-eseque satire, the real juxtaposed and thrown into relief by the fantastical, everything blown up larger than life - there's a line in Manual: Alchemicals about how in Metropolis/Patropolis Alchs, even though the cityscape is their body, the Tripartite Assembly still makes the final decisions in governance and, more importantly to what I'm talking about here, on how the city will expand. It's ambiguous enough that you could reasonably argue it's just talking about mortal-constructed bits piggybacking on the Alch bits forming the city centre/key industries, but you could also look at it from a perspective where a 'Polis Alch loses some degree of control over... maybe just their Charm allotment (beyond the baseline "hey if you want anyone to immigrate you're gonna need the basic Habitation-Supporting Array"), but maybe more than that too. And that opens up all kinds of avenues to explore which could be engaging and rewarding plotlines and character arcs if well-handled but also have a lot of potential to be. Not well-handled. And the thing is, the parallels are clear - but it's also a magical overgod-killing superweapon city fighting with mortal ants over what they get to construct where. You can play it for laughs just as easily as you can be dead serious about it, but the real magic happens when you find the balance point in-between.

EDIT: looking back at this I think it could be much better composed but I am. Very tired. I will see about better explaining my meaning re: Pratchett satire tomorrow when I have actually slept.

Last edited:
This stuff too, but I wanted to engage with this one as a separate point; I see in Exalted a touch of Pratchett-eseque satire, the real juxtaposed and thrown into relief by the fantastical, everything blown up larger than life - there's a line in Manual: Alchemicals about how in Metropolis/Patropolis Alchs, even though the cityscape is their body, the Tripartite Assembly still makes the final decisions in governance and, more importantly to what I'm talking about here, on how the city will expand.

Okay! I'd be happy to hear your thoughts re: pratchet whimsy and juxtaposition when you're more rested, but I think there's some underlying Autochthonia themes that I wanna touch on. This is tangential to Sunlit Sands, but is imo critically important to understanding how I play this game.

the TL;DR is that Autochthonia exists as a deliberate inversion of the dynamic of Exalted to 'the world', where Exalts rule and mortals drool.

In regular Exalted, Creation is the prize. It's the thing everyone wants, agrees has some kind of value. What value that is varies. The Solars want their slice of it to do Solar things- the Realm wants to be the Realm. The Sidereals are primarily concerned with it just surviving all these calamaties and wear and tear. The Lunars want to do their thing (insert edition goal here), and the Abyssals and Infernals want to kill or reclaim Creation at the behest of their masters.

In all of those cases though, the Exalt is the prime actor, the deciding factor. The Exalt calls the shots, even if they aren't doing so as a leader. Creation cannot stop the Exalted. Nothing can.

Autochthonia is a deliberate deconstruction and reconstruction of the Exalted condition. In Autochthonia, the imperial, authoritarian, explotiative and conquering modes of play are actively and unilaterally opposed by the setting metaphysics. Creation- it's passive, inert. Even the gods who claim dominion over vast tracts of land, great cities and even the directional war gods are not so powerful as to gainsay the empires of the world let alone their Exalted heroes. The treasures, wealth and resources, the land itself is only 'owned' by those strong enough to hold it.

Autochtonia lives in the factory-organs of a Primordial, a vast being that can and will treat anything that oversteps itself in claiming, diverting or tapping the vital resources of the world as a malicious infection and eradicate it. This is part of the reason why in autochthonia, Alchemicals do not rule as conquering generals or culture heroes with ideologies and grand ambitions.

Instead, Alchemicals are avatars of cultures and polities and agendas. They're the battleships and aircraft carriers, commissioned on demand to fulfil a mighty need, a crafted hero. Their job is not to rule but to serve the agenda of their nation. They are however people, and do not always agree with the purpose they were intended for. Due to the nature of the Alchemical condition though, they cannot feasibly 'rebel' against the nations that support them. Oh an Alchemical can live indefinitely without food or water, but they won't be able to grow as an Exalt without their sodalite teams building new Charms and manning their Vats complexes.

So to expand on your comment regarding the Polises of Autochthonia- the... issue that a lot of people have is that of the superhuman competence question. If you have an Exalt, who is explicitly superhuman, why aren't you employing them to find superhuman solutions? Why aren't they intervening to implement their grand ambitions or perfect plans?

The answer, for Autochthonia, is that they do, they just don't do it in an autocratic manner. Alchemicals do not rule. They advise, they plan, they execute the will of the state- and they obviously can contribute to the ambitions of the state with their brilliance, but they aren't assumed by the setting and in-character culture to have de-jure authority or even de-facto authority.

To bring this back around to Inks and Sunlit Sands- Inks does not feel entitled to rule. She feels like she has to earn it with proof-of-concept and willingness to put her money where her mouth is. She is ignorant of the Mandate of Heaven or any cultural belief in the righteous authority of the Exalted. Any belief she does have in that likely frames things more in the idea that the Dragon-blooded are the proper custodians of Creation, only by dint if just not knowing enough deep Solar Lore and not having taken the time to really dig into that.

Another time or place, I could've gone into Inks's character with the Creation-Ruling Mandate pre-framed in her mind. She could've drunk that particular kool-aid, thinking she had a right to rule. Or she could have taken the direction the game intended, where the mandate is a pretense you can invoke to legitimize your actions, but itself has no actual metaphysical power. There's no sorcery spell that says 'By the Creation-Ruling Mandate, I do this!' The CRM is purely a political statement made by the Unconquered Sun back some five to seven thousand years ago that a small fraction of the setting remembers in some form.

But, importantly, Inks feels it worthwhile to rule, to have authority over men and material resources, land and wealth. Because she believes she can do well for herself and do better for the people under her employ. Inks is a capitalist as well, and that is increasingly a foul curse in this year 2021... Acutally lemme grab some text from a discord chat... I'll be quoting @Aleph and a couple other people here as well, hope they doesn't mind
Shyft -
On top of this, a lot of the fiction and messaging going on in the world is about political, cultural and existential problems. You can look at Inks as a time capsule of this- Inks was devised more or less at the peak of the 2010 recession. Her hyper-benevolent-capitalist ideology came about as a response to the lack of propspects I was enduring and because I liked the idea of a character driven by well-intentioned avarice and personal satisfaction.

FrozenPhazon (Traitorous Fiend)
In hindsight, that makes so much sense.

Shyft -
Most of my peers were trying to ape morality with austere, dignified and very somber, noble characters who constantly went on about their morality.
Now when I say somber,
I don't mean like 'they were quiet in character', they could be loud and happy and whatnot.
But they generally were inoffensive

Keris —
Inks is clear and upfront about how yes, she wants to rule the entirety of the South.

Shyft
this was also during the height of the 2e, where meta-saturation was at it's peak.

Keris —
because she can do it better than the assholes in charge right now

In Creation, Ambition is if not a virtue, than at least accepted as part of the world's skein. Wild, dynamic and grand ambitions that cast deep shadows over the smaller goals and pursuits of those lesser heroes beneath world-striding titans. In Autochthonia, ambition is borderline toxic if not outright hazardous to the health of the world and nation. A capitalist for example cannot exist in Autochthonia for long, at least not an irrational capitalist.

So Inks is ambitious, borderline hubristic, and that's the point. She's larger than life, with big ideas and big values and big emotions. Alchemicals are just as heroic and grand in their own way, but the context of their culture and setting matter.

Thank you for listening to my ExalTED talk.

Thank you for listening to my ExalTED talk.

Thanks for writing it! You always have some really insightful thoughts to share, it's great. And Inks' unabashed boldness is one of the things I most enjoy about her character, so getting a bit of background on where that comes from is fun.

Now, on the subject of me actually trying to make sense this time - rather embarrassingly, I slipped entirely off-point somehow to waffle about the body horror thing because it's been living rent-free in my head since I caught that line doing a comb through of the Alchs' Manual for 'Polis info. That's what I get for not sleeping I suppose :V

Where I was intending to go with that response when I started writing the first sentence was that Exalted is (or at least can be, depending on ST and players) akin to Discworld in the way it uses the fantastical to reflect the real. Instead of a petty corrupt bureaucrat angling for bribes, you have petty corrupt gods angling for illicit worship. The Scarlet Empress uses the political classic of playing her subordinates off against each other, but she does it with such Exalted skill (if you'll forgive the pun) that she keeps them in line and keeps the government functioning smoothly for eight centuries only for it to collapse into loggerheads pretty much as soon as she disappears - and yet for years after she completely vanishes off the face of Creation they're still terrified to openly do anything that could be perceived as insubordinate. The unremarkable functionary who wields deceptive amounts of power? The Mouth of Peace's aide is Chejop Kejak. Manosque Cyan being an Infernal is fodder for all kinds of political jokes I probably shouldn't make here. Autochthonia and Communism.

And then there's basically everything about the Solars - their heroic arete and the inevitable fall caused by their equally heroic - and equally in-the-Greek-sense - flaws.

...having read the Green Cherry Demonomicon I am suddenly very concerned about that deja-vu moment.

Session 111 and 112 - Return from Hiatus!
Whew. Hiatuses are a thing, aren't they?

But we're back, with two newly posted sessions of Sunlit Sands!

I hope to get back into the habit of doing postmortems with this resent surge of play, but a lot of the chapters I've missed I'll probably do on-request or as needed. So it might not be in chronological order anymore. (Threadmarks tho...)

Anyway, I can tell you that the running theme of the current arc is 'Shyft does not handle Hiatuses well'. This isn't anyone's fault. I'm either playing a game with a stable schedule and continuity, or I'm not playing games at all- so the idea of a game that goes 'on pause' and then comes back is strange and uncharted territory for me.

So as a summary for those of you who still follow the thread-

Newly Exalted Night; Five-Days Jinx fled Gem after going on a wild impetuous caper against the nobility of Gem and generally being a petty shitheel to the entire world. Inks hared off after her because A. She stole the shrine belonging to her bath-god, and B: stole the magical drum that House Gion acquired decades ago. The drum that belongs to Tekutali, a local volcano god. A drum that by my reckoning can make volcanoes erupt.

One thing led to another and we were sent on a whirlwind tour of the Anam Way and the Bloody Sands, where Inks was introduced to the various cultures and distinct practices of the seasonal and semi-nomadic settlements that eke out a living in the mildly wyld-tainted region. There we learned of a new threat rising in the Eastern sands, a Dragon Reborn who was going to rally the clans like Piercing Sun did to pillage the soft settled people of the hills and mountains.

Eventually we reached him, killed him, and also managed to encounter Jinx and reclaim our stuff. Then the hiatus paused progress for quite a while.

When the story resumed, we began with Session 111, which was a tone setter that ended up paying off in a lot of really uncomfortable ways for me in subsequent sessions.

See, the expectation I had, was that Aleph as ST would deploy a kind of 'soft reset'. A way to ease us both back into playing with a shallower power curve as we regained familiarity with our characters and each other. What I would later realize, is that Aleph was far more adept and adapted to the hiatus model, so behind the scenes, the plots that I thought resolved with the Dragon Reborn were in fact still active and immediately relevant.

The beat-to-beat events of session 111 don't need much commentary- focusing more on characterization and some future planning like the handling of Bridgetown, Chujitsusuna, the Ahumudami Clanand so on. Aleph was *particularly mean* to me, tempting me with a Furnace Rhino action setpiece first thing, and honestly I think it was a missed opportunity. Exalted in my experience has a reputation of being a very devolved, Player-vs-Player style experience, in the sense that most of the time opposition are built with PCs splats and tools. So you're fighting Exalts or 'fighting' Exalts, in whatever form.

Environmental or 'natural' challenges like the Furnace Rhinos are in my opinion much more interesting and nuanced than 'Random fight against a random solaroid'. Even so, the pacing and 'realistic' grasp of time we use in Sunlit Sands made it so I couldn't stay to indulge myself- and there's always next time.

Moving forward a bit, I learned later that the entire Bloody Sands Expedition covered about 28 days- I really did not have a solid grasp of how long we were out of Gem, but in hindsight I'm super-pleased Aleph managed to keep track of it so well.

The major roleplaying beat that I took out of session 111, was that Inks had to learn that *pleasing everyone* was not her job, and that failure, or even failing to meet her own claims and aspirations, was not a doom-state. Which is why she went full extra queen-lawfare bitch and told everyone hounding her for attention to fuck off- because she'd been out for 28 days in the bloody sands and was *mostly* empty-handed.

Then we get to Session 112, and this is where I fucked up. Badly.

Part of the mitigating factor here is that when I play Sunlit Sands, it's usually within an hour of waking up due to timezones, and at certain times of the year, I seem to have really inconsistent sleeping schedules. My alarm is set for one time, and I tend to wake up hours before it and can't get back to sleep. Which in turn leads to pounding headaches right when I'm at peak roleplaying/exalted time.

Not a conducive state of being to fun and engaging play. Session 112 was also split over two session-days, back to back, which was a huge boon in terms of continuity and pacing.

As for the specific events of the session- Pesala was a delight both in the punchline of the previous chapter, and as the opener to the current one. Then we segued to Sagacious Wing, and the more she's on camera, the more I want to see her character develop. She's in some way more mellow than Piercing Sun, at least by comparison, and I think the lingering experiences of El Galabi I have showed through via Inks in interacting with her.

At the end of the day, Inks is sympathetic and empathetic to Wing and her position with the Rangers. Inks strictly speaking does not want to be a military commander, and became the primary war-sorcerer of the Rangers on what amounts to a metaphysical technicality. Wing I think, back in El Galabi and now firmly wanted to establish a hierarchy where she is the commander and senior officer to Inks as a subordinate. And honestly, Inks is okay with that. Time will tell if Wing and Inks will butt heads.

Interestingly enough, one of Inks's major flaws is solipsism, but with Sagacious Wing she barely demonstrates it. Inks is not confident in her ability as a war-leader. Not in the same way she is as profit/loss rationality and her sense of ethics and morals. So she happily gives way to Wing as the more experienced hand. Put a pin in this, though.

After a bit of past-talking, we hit the first major flag that I missed at the time. Remember how I said I expected this to be a 'reset' before moving forward? My expectation was that there would be a 'no hassles' transition from Gem to Coxati to take care of the agreement that secured El Galabi.

Yeah that's not the case. Aleph basically picked up exactly where we left off in terms of tone and scope. I just failed to recognize that from the 'player' level at the time, and it cost me. You'll see how and why in subsequent sessions.

See, the Dragon Reborn had a backer, I knew this from investigations across the Anam Way, but didn't have the chance to really follow up on it. I had at the time assumed that because they were so far off out into the West-ish direction relative to Gem, that they couldn't project power without the Dragon Reborn as a cat's paw. That was a mistake on my part.

So Wing informed Inks of what's going on, and now we find out that the Giant's Fingers, the single practical pass from Coxati out to Gem and the Scar, is blocked. And Wing is saddling up to address the issue with the expectation that Inks follows- and Inks will! But she has other entanglements she has to resolve first.

Like the Despot, and the Houses of Gem. The nuts-and-bolts and roleplaying of this sequence I think stand well enough on their own, though I am particularly proud of how I articulated in Inks's narration the view of failure and how self-damaging it can be to deny falibility.

The real monster moment of the session was with Trasti Gion, and where Aleph took gleeful, rutheless advantage of Inks's solipsism and my frustrating lack of diligence when it comes to social encounters.

The fact is, I don't like to play fastidious, paranoid information-gathering characters. Its exhausting. Same with how I have in other discussions shown distaste for excessive information security and compartmentalization. But because of that, I don't go into social situations as a player with any real thought given towards 'theory of mind'. I treat NPCs the way I want to be treated, which co-incides with how Inks wants to be treated. That being good and virtuous is met with virtue in return.

Bluntly, Inks is naive, and has been powerful enough to evade the consequences of her naivety for nearly a decade.

I don't actually like that realization. It feels... off. I felt awful during this session- even if the roleplaying was excellent, fun and satisfying. I felt like I was doing myself and Inks-as-a-characater a disservice by playing her so poorly. I didn't feel like I was winning- and that is a very thorny concept to unpack here.

A lot of people think winning in a TTRPG or even Exalted specifically is 'never failing rolls' and 'getting everything you want with no chance of contest'. I don't think that's a very good definition to follow. You'll see a lot of players who resent it when STs introduce complications, because the 'victory' condition is a frictionless existence reduced to the absolute minimum of necessary interaction.

Like- taken to an extreme, for a lot of people I've played with, 'victory' is the ST sighing in resignation and narrating that things happen exactly as the player wills- and that the only concession to vermilisitude is 'time', if that.

So I said 'winning', but I think the actual better word for what I felt at the time of Gion's conversation was playing. Oh I was defintely playing, I was having fun, but I wasn't doing gameplay, and as a consequence I left huge gaping holes in my competency that caught me out. In some ways this is a virtue- a statement that Exalts are not faultless platforms of automatic powers and unstated agency. I, and by extension Inks had to choose to do things.

Having said all that, what did the Gion scene actually entail?

The crux of the matter is that I, and Inks by extension, assumed that Trasti Gion was a person, not a nation. That the right and moral course of action was to treat him as a person who wanted help and emotional closure. Instead, I was quite rudely informed that he is and will continue to be an imperialistic, bigoted dare I say liberal-conservative scion of a socio-economic power bloc within an extremely toxic capitalist extraction economy.

Basically, I forgot that Gem is a terrible place to have morals and ethics, and it burned me badly. I forgot in part because I was sympathetic to Gion's problems, and unreasonably assumed that his character was streamlined for the sake of the wide cast and far-reaching geopolitical skein of Sunlit Sands. I'm used to much simpler characters and problems. Aleph however is extremely diligent and has ample sounding boards to workshop ideas and formalize characters to put in front of me.

I'm not sure I want to forgive Aleph for making me correlate Gion and Gem at large with MAGA-types... (jokingly, I say).

Sessions 111 and 112 were primarily Roleplaying events, with really the major mechanical discussion happening at the end with Peacock Shadow Eyes.

Even in the original 2e text of the spell, it is a very powerful effect. The Book of Three Circles houseruled version is in its own way more robust and potent. So potent that Aleph immediately tried to correct for it by letting Gion apply his Principles to the roll.

In subsequent days we had several discussions of the mechanics and effect of the spell, and I think this is one of those pain-points between 2e and Kerisgame that Aleph and I stumble across every so often.

Speaking from my experience, how to explain... Okay, in Exalted 2e there are two MDVs; Parry and Dodge. Almost no one uses Parry because it is by mechanics, objectively inferior to Dodge MDV. The problem is that the books do a bad job of explaining what either MDV is actually for and if they have limitations on their applicability.

Dodge MDV is primarily as I utilize it, your ability to ignore 'ambient or area effect' mental influence. The buskers in a market street, vagrants asking for handouts, or the political messaging of a play that you happen to be watching. It's not strictly defined as 'DMDV defends against Performance Actions', though that's an easy rule of thumb.

Note also that DMDV is usually very high for most characters, even mortals! WP + Integrity + Essence, rounded down. So a character with WP 5 and Integrity 1, Essence 1 has a DMDV of 3. WP 4-5 is usually the domain of 'non-heroic mortals'. A Heroic mortal likely has MDV of or even 5. And due to how storyteller dice probability works, you need about 10-12 dice to roll 6+ successes consistently- even moreso if you're not counting 10s as 2 successes.

Parry MDV meanwhile is [Charisma/Manipulation + Presence] /2, rounded down. And unlike regular parry, there's no equipment bonuses to help boost your defense. Or better to say, the 'equipment' you get for Parry DV are your Intimiacies in base 2e, and Principles in the kerisgame hacks.

And then of course there's the elephant in the room- Relative Appearance Bonus. This handly little mechanic can create a +3 or -3 swing in MDV depending on how you handle it, and the rules text does not actually clarify it it applies to DMDV or PDMV. Part of me, based on reading the text and years of mulling, almost wants to argue that Relative Appearance should primarily only benefit Parry MDV. Why? Because Parry MDV is your argument against an incoming social influence effect, it is you actively debating and deflecting the points presented. And 'how you carry yourself' is a pretty important element to marshaling an argument, even if we don't like what it says about people.

To further muddy the issue, lots of players and STs rule that the relative app bonus works on Dodge MDV, which makes an already higher-than-normal trait skyrocket- because under the best case of having a 3-dot difference, its not adding +3 dice. It's adding +3 to your MDV, or six dice.

Now personally, I think that in some cases a higher relative app could apply to dodge MDV, but I definitely don't think it should be always applicable.

But as you can probably guess now by the above analysis, a lot of people don't like relative appearance modifier, or the idea that 'Appearance' is even a trait. As I've mentioned before, one of Inks's core concepts is that she is Appearance 5. That in a very real sense, she is one of the most stunningly distinctive if not attractive people in Gem, Coxati and the Anam way. Essentially-

Trait 1: Below average
Trait 2: Average
Trait 3: You're recognized as distinct in your immediate area (hometown/neighborhood)
Trait 4: you're recognized as distinct in your wider area (Home city-state)
Trait 5: You're reocognized as distinct in neighboring city-states.

Given the option I absolutely would have picked up all the pretty-person merits from Scroll of Heroes.

Anyway- all of this is to give you context for why Peacock Shadow Eyes is amazingly powerful. It's a two-stage effect of 'Roll to see if it takes' and 'roll to see if the target notices'.

The first roll, since its a spell, can't be augmented by Excellencies. To accomadate the higher-than-average Dodge MDV, you roll [Manip+Occult] and it gives you [Essence] automatic successes. Or Enlightenment/2 under kersigame hacks. So immediately, any character with MDV 3 or less can be enthralled by the Sorcerer. (Ess 3 +1 success beats MDV 4).

Gion as a heroic mortal and fairly strong mental defender, had a dodge MDV of 4. Inks being Essence 4/Enlightenment 9 means that she basically could have mind-crushed him casually. And on the one hand, that's not inherently a bad thing. On the other, it violates a pretty central tenent to what Aleph wants out of this game, and what a lot of people would agree with her for- Exalted is notoriously bad at counterplay.

Several effects even with good intentions, are printed with mechanics that border on fiat-efficacy. They're so good they always work, or trivialize encounters. And mortals are in some ways meant to be trivialized, but then you get into mileu and suspension-of-disbelief. If Peacock Shadow eyes is so effective, why aren't sorcerers using it willy nilly on kings and such? So Aleph sought to correct it.

She let Gion apply his 4-dot Principle to the roll, boosting his MDV to 8. Suddenly Inks's pool of 7 + 4 automatic successes isn't looking so good. At the time of the session, I didn't want to bog things down by aruging, but I did make a point to seek clarification and arbitration afterwords. Shadow Eyes falls into a specific ambigious class of effects that are essentially... unknowable Influence Effects? Thematically and conceptually, you aren't really marshaling arguments against them or putting your ideals in the path of an incoming influence. It's just a check to see 'does this exceed your ability to ingnore an incoming influence'. The lack of nuance in that check however precludes counterplay.

It's sort of like saying something is Unblockable and Undodgable without actually using those system terms.

See, the end goal of counter-play is great. The problem is that its very easy to under or overcorrect. On top of this- this is the first time I had actually used the spell. I had purchased it litereally years ago, in-game and out of game, and never had an opportunity to really use it in a way that I felt justified. Inks isn't the type to casually enthrall and mentally manipuate her peers, but here it was a significant operational security risk that I felt was justified.

As much as I say want to use it on Rankar, my impression of him is so paranoid that he'd figure it out almost immediately.

So at the time of casting, I was feeling a little frustrated that a spell I hadn't had a chance to use was being nerfed on-the-spot. But at the same time I absolutely respected the intention behind the change and tried to meet Aleph half way.

After the session we did go over the spell and come to an agreement on how it works. (which I need to reconstruct and ammend to the text of the spell now...)

I'm not sure what to really say about Session 112? It was good, I had fun. But I also felt bad and frustrated. There's nothing Aleph really needed to do or change, it was all on me for not playing to the standard I had set for myself.

Anyway, that's the postmortem, and next week I'll post session 113!

And this is why Memory Reweaving Discipline is such an important Charm to have.

You never know when you'll need to Solar Gaslight someone to cover up your own social goofs.

Session 114 - Boulders and Blunders Part 2
... you know this is super-embarassing. I forgot that I hadn't done a postmortem for Session 113- Boulders and Blunders Part 1 - yet. I'll... do that later. Hopefully.

Alright, session 114, Boulders and Blunders Part 2. Big props to @Aleph as usual for running!

The title of this section, which covers about 3 sessions- reflect more my feelings and mood while playing it than any specific in-character events. I might've mentioned in the thread how sometimes I for various reasons wake up, and then about 30m later am playing the game. If I have a bad night's sleep, I get a headache. I don't drink enough water, I get a headache, etc.

but, I am so thirsty for games and conscientious of Aleph's time, that I play anyway, for good or ill.
Anyway, so going into this session, I am excited to say the least. I almost never got to play against or alongside Second Circle Demons in any of my previous Exalted games, due in part to most characters in those games mine included rapidly outpacing the ability for the ST of the moment to challenge us with a combat encounter. Inks meanwhile is soft nerdy socialite.

I mention it in the log itself, but I think the big thing that threw me off, was that this session was largely following on the heels of the last big combat set piece against the Dragon Reborn, that in turn had adjusted tick timing for both sorcery and mote regen. I did not so much assume as the same was explicitly true here, but I went in with a fairly rose-tinted view of how the combat encounter was going to play out.

The blow-by-blow stuff I think stands up on its own, but if anyone reads this, I'd be happy to answer questions or go into further detail.

Now, something Aleph has been learning about me, is that I am actually surprisingly good at talking or finangling my way out of direct challenges. She's learned that lesson often enough that she... I don't want to say she went out of her way to close off other avenues, but I got the impression very quickly that she wanted a decisive encounter that I couldn't cheaply breeze pass. Not necessarily a fight- seeing as how we started with a discussion in-character between Inks and Stanewald.

You could argue that curtailing options like this is a form of railroading. I didn't feel particularly upset by how the scene progressed with regard to what Aleph was doing as Storyteller, at least. In a lot of ways, with hindsight, its kind of the reverse of a common experience I had with most of my games prior to Sunlit Sands. Specifically, we'd go for 2-3 sessions without a fight, and then a fight would happen Because Genre.

Worse, they wouldn't have been fights the PCs picked or felt particularly invested in. It was usually some thinly veiled excuse to indulge in purple prose stunting about how good at fighting our characters were. In Sunlit Sands, Inks doesn't pick fights if she can avoid it, not out of fear or hesitation, but the sense that fighting is costly.

I think there's more to this point regarding the curtailed scenario, but I think it landed so well for me, was because Aleph took advantage of it to advance the plot and deliver useful expository information. Specifically about Stanewald's summoner. The curated flashes of First Age memories are also neat, and in keeping with the themes I wanted to explore with Inks, Aleph is spending a lot more time on the feelings and impressions than specific accomplishments. I am as a player tired of wanking the HFA and previous Exalted. I still like the HFA, but I want there to be able room for the player character- in this case Inks, to be awesome. Not to be the inheritor of a plot-specific legacy.

Exalted is an interesting setting in that you can explore that sort of legacy concept, and as glib as I sound about it in these discussions, I do believe Inks's previous incarnations did interesting and wonderful things (not that I know of any), and likely also did great and terrible things. This information to me though is best treated as incidental trivia, over deep and far-reaching influences on her character.

Heh, this is a bit of a tangent from the postmortem, but- The original Chambers/Grabowski meme of the returning Solars, the 'once and future king' quality is that the Solar Exaltations in the Jade Prison, they appear in modern Creation, exalt new hosts, and in that process unify the legacy-memory of the great and golden age with that of the fallen Age of Sorrows. There's this very clear intention of 'The world is lesser now, and it can be great once more.'

Due in part to Inks actually being several attempts at the same character until this one landed, I didn't give much thought to that. The prior host of her Exaltation did not bring any real input to her current character- Inks at conceptions was nearly fully realized before she Exalted. I think that was.. a weakness in writing on my part, but not one I'm too worried about either.

Anyway, back to the session itself.

In hidnsight, Aleph was trying to use mechanics and emphasis on her pools to prepare me for what was to come- Stanewald's dancing, unaugmented, vastly exceeded anything I had seen as an innate pool before now. Second Circle Demons, within their specialty at least, can stand up to full bore Excellency use without trying. This is accentuated further by how in Sunlit Sands, I at least am assuming Infinite Mastery and equivalents have been removed for the purposes of preserving meaningful dice probability.

This means I'm pretty cavalier with Excellencies during non-combat sequences, here- even with the Mote Reactor hack we're using, 6-10m per roll eats through pools quick.

So the big, embarrassing, overarching theme of this session is overconfidence, and Aleph very clearly punished Inks for it. I think the important thing here though, is that the point of Sunlit Sands, and in my opinion a lot of cooperative games like TTRPGs, is that while consequences matter, they should be graduated.

See, my big tactical blunder, first of all, was thinking Maji alone could defend me against Stanewald while I cast Burning Eye of the Offender. This was a mistake. Secondly, I decided to cast sorcery. I of all people should have remembered/recognized that the genre-OK approach to sorcery is do your buffs then fight.

But no, I wanted to pose dramatically on the fallen pillar and shape the very fabric of Creation to make Inks's eyes glow all blinding like.

So Aleph punished me for my hubris, but since we're both interested in continuing to play the game, she chose not to punish me with lasting consequences I and Inks will certainly remember this sequence! But Inks is alive to learn from it.

Now more than a few people who play TTRPGs will decry the above as missing the point of it being a game- which is fair! And even I sometimes wish Exalted were a lot more stable and capable of running a truly 'fair' game than it presently is, but it can't. So we have to adjust and make decisions like the above.

Anyway, so this tactical blunder leads to a number of other issues going forward. The session covers them well enough I think, but again- feel free to tag me for questions!

One, absolute critical thing though that I want to touch on though, is that Aleph and I both recognize the function and utility of threats, escalation and de-escalation. It happened fairly organically in the session, but I should clarify that I actually could have started disengaging pretty much as soon as I rejoined battle. I might not have been able to get very far, but I could have.

Because I did try to get close to Stanewald and swing, Aleph made the interesting and narratively expedient decision to force me to stop by putting the god in peril. By holding the god hostage, it gave us both a chance to end combat. On the one hand it was a touch stilted- but this is Exalted, and combatants taking a break to talk is absolutely in-mileu.

I need you all to understand something- I have never been in a game of Exalted where retreat was even noticed as an option. Let alone parlay and negotiation. Once the PCs get their blood up, they're all in to kill the enemy- both because of game convention, and because a dead foe can't come back to hassle you again. And STs tend to overtune their opposing forces, meaning that they can too easily give chase to feeling PCs.

Anyway, by disengaging from Stanewald, we set ourselves up for the conclusion of the session the following day. We also made a number of minor judgement calls about previous actions (flaring totemic vs bonfire, for example). The exact resolution though- that'll wait for the next post!

Session 115 - Boulders and Blunders Part 3
Okay! So while I don't have a postmortem in me for Session 113, I do have one for 115, which concludes the encounter of Boulders and Blunders! Props to @Aleph as usual!

In the grand scheme of things, I think this encounter with Stanewald will be fairly defining for Inks going forward- moreso even than the Dragon Reborn or her blunder with Gion. The nameless mortal she made out with back before haring off after Jinx is of similar impactfulness on her character.
As a more general impression of the session and the encounter, I can't help but feel a sort of embarrassed chagrin. Aleph herself has reassured me repeatedly I acquitted myself quite well in this session, but I think there's an underlying element that's not easy to notice.

Essentially, the climatic decisive elements, the really important stuff that felt threatening and impactful were all in the previous session. This session was itself still a meaningful tactical exercise sure, but a very truncate one. How to explain this...

Aleph as Storyteller wanted to force a strategic conflict, and she made sure to emphasize the time scale at which things were happening. I had to resolve Stanewald now; not in the several weeks it would take me questing to learn Sapphire Circle Banishment or to gather reinforcements. I had to solve this purely at the tactical level, and I also had a very harsh time limit of one hour to prepare myself.

You'll note very quickly that we retcon'd a decision made prior in my favor, in keeping with the intended tone and practicalities of playing Inksgame. She's the only character, and seeing as how I don't want her to die for stupid technical/mechanical reasons like mis-remembering how something works, we err in favor of whatever keeps the game going. Some folks like that, others want a strictly procedural game experience with no wiggle room.

So I brought up the tactical/strategic divide because I wanted to clarify how... one of the most treasured experiences a player can achieve in a role-playing game is Satisfaction, a subset of Actualization. Because however the timescale and circumstances were so compressed, I did not have a lot in the way of options to express and 'game' the situation. Incantation of Spiritual Discretion was the obvious choice, the optimal one. But it was optimal in the sense of 'making any other choice is rank stupidity'. Or at least it felt like it at the time. This isn't on Aleph, not really. I the player in the heat of the moment felt constrained by a lack of meaningful game options.

Now in hindsight I could have say armored up with Skin of Bronze in addition to the Ashigaru; or spent more time layering on Sorcery-buffs; but I didn't get a very good impression of Burning Eyes last time, (I should check in with Aleph to determine if Stanewald was immune to it?). I had other things I could have done, but none of them really felt properly clever in that giddy sort of way that excites me as a player. And not to say I need to be clever every time all the time! I just had that sort of pressure on me due to my poor showing and self-flagellation last session.

Anyway, so the second round with Stanewald is kicked off with a pretty indicative character beat for Inks. Brilliant Raptor is becoming her signature spell, and this is the second time she has knowingly fired it into an area with non-combatants. Inks rationalized it as the god would not have died 'permanently' as collateral, and considered that a worthwhile cost, in keeping him away from Stanewald's tortures. We'll see how the god feels about it in a year, I suppose.

A conversation later on in discord, which I can provide later if need be underlined something that we started to see in Session 113 with Gion. Generally- people assume that Inks is a lot more led by her Compassion 3 than her Conviction 5. They haven't seen her make a threat, or commit to it. So they don't realize exactly how rutheless she can be, even if she doesn't particularly want to or like to be rutheless. One of the best media examples of this I can think of is George and Raiden in Metal Gear Rising- in the particularly important scene where Raiden cuts through George to kill the evil scientist. Inks can do that- the nobility of Gem haven't seen any evidence of that.

So they may or may not be in for a rude surprise when they finally realize how far she can and will go.

At another narrative level, Stanewald's presence here is also really a big exclaimation point on how the Dragon Reborn plot is still ongoing- the sorcerer-backer is still around, still interested in ruining Gem and by extension interfering with Inks, at least incidentally. To that end, we're reminded of the sorcerer with the time limit on their message to Stanewald.

This is important, beacuse keeping these kinds of details fresh in the player's minds is important to maintain plot cohesion, even in a largely sandbox game like Sunlit Sands.

Now, throughout the battle I'm confronted by a pretty significant weakness- Inks can't hit immaterial beings easily, and I forgot to explicitly invoke the clause from Spiritual Discretion- mostly because I only skimmed it for the obvious DV booster effect. (You'll also note that Aleph and I are going to review it for balance- but Aleph agreed to run it as written since my tactics at the time were contingent on it. This is good GMing.

As far as combat goes, I should stress something- I have never been in a game before Sunlit Sands that allowed a PC to have anything less than Dexterity 5. That's not to say we were all character-less optimizers, but we just couldn't get away from the stark efficiency of the chargen game. You either were goku, or you were krillin, and no one wanted to be krillin unless they were more interested in dragging the group around by their weaknesses.

Inks is scary in combat to mortals, and to armies. She is not scary to other Exalts or 2nd circle demons. So I was already facing an uphill battle here- but I was in much better position than before. Stanewald was injured from a previous encounter, and the Brilliant Raptor took another chunk off. The moment to moment attacks stand for themselves in the log, but I'll call out something that happened near the end.

Stanewald used Principle of Motion to create a magical flurry- for those who don't know, PoM was one of the most deleterious spirit charms printed, and one that all Eclipse and charm-share capable beings thirsted for. It created a ridiculous amount of independent actions- I'll save the details for some other time, but it was Disgustingly Powerful in the hands of a Solar.

The important thing though, is that Aleph did the time-saving thing of rolling all the attacks at once. This is something that lots of people do. It is also very incorrect. In 2e RAW, each attack must progress through the 10 steps of resolution, with all of their combined damage and costs tabulating on the 'last' step 10 during the acting tick. The reason for this if I haven't mentioned, is that due to how Perfect Defenses work, combat resolution can in fact end in step 2 or 7, thus waiving the need to progress through the subsequent steps. If a flurrybreaker like Leaping Dodge Method is used in Step 9, a whole flurry can be cut short- I'd need to doublecheck as to what the attacker spends or does not spend in that case, but it's important for how Exalted 2e balances its combat encounters.

Part of the point of Sunlit Sands is to show these mechanical goofs and gaps in the core system- Flurries as a concept probably needed to be rethought or removed outright, much like how clinching has a number of unfortunate side effects and lack of system support for edge cases.

For me, part of the fun of Exalted is looking at these lopsided, broken or missing systems and thinking of solutions or adaptations.

In anycase, the battle concludes with Stanewald's defeat, and Inks herself is firmly on the train to self-recrimination!

Session 116 - The History of Good Intentions
Okay! Time for a postmortem of Sesssion 116 - The History of Good Intentions! As usual, big props to @Aleph for running!

This is, obviously enough, the resolution and clean-up from the conflict with Stanewald. And with that, a number of narrative and logistical considerations come up.
The nuts and bolts of what's happening during the session itself- the fort and all that, is largely incidental to the thoughts I gathered while formatting, so here goes:

The plot Aleph has devised is extremely spread out across a very large land-area as well as narrative scope. So much so that I'm quite frankly in uncharted territory- I have never run or played in a game that is structured quite this way. That's not a bad thing, but it is a consideration as I make decisions or react to prompts as Aleph creates them.

The 'plot' in summary as I mean it is the Unknown Anami, the patron and backer of the Dragon Reborn who in turn has made it their goal to ruin Gem and/or Inks herself. The important aspect of this, is that this actor is taking large scale strategic efforts by way of cat's paws and agents far removed from themselves. And you could firmly make the case that Aleph is trying to tutorialize this for me to do more of as well. Especially as I get more comfortable summoning 2nd circle demons and deploying them.

As a comparison, most games I've played in or run, plots are very linear and constrained. You are either going to a very obvious destination to engage in a very obvious objective, or you are doing sandbox actions while waiting for some plot or factor to arise that demands your attention. In a very real sense, I have never been in a game before Sunlit Sands that lets you move geographically away from a plot and still advance it.

Having said that, the extent of this advancement is limited- and my prior experience rears its head here; in a campaign less burdened by obligations and the constraints of travel time/methods, I could concievably drop everything and run down the Unknown Anami with functional impunity. However, the interplay of obligation and personal endeavors and other factors is part of what drew me to Exalted anyway, so this is actually a net positive in the long run, even if sometimes in the short term I feel pulled in too many directions and have to tread water sometimes. It's am impression though, not necessarily true.

The main narrative takeway of Stanewald is that the Anami will be an ongoing consideration, and must be acknowledged in the future. However, also due to the current obligation of the Coxati agreement, Inks has to move geographically away from the Anami as well as narratively.

In a... potentially descending aspect, if you will, this plot could be taken as constant harrying or sabotage attempts that radiate away from the Anami's area of influence towards Gem and Inks, that inflict setbacks of sorts on my current actions. But at the same time with screentime and such at a premium, overdoing that kind of thing can be consequential or detrimental. Essentially I'm just raising the point that as much as the Anami could do more things, they remain relevant and threatening even if they don't.

As I was playing, the main reason I wanted to do any of the fortress stuff on camera was to see more of Sagacious Wing on-stage and characterized. She's important enough to me and the story of Inks that I definitely like seeing her in the supporting cast, though I don't think she'll be promoted to main ensemble unless something changes.

What followed the fortification sequence was an interesting demonstration of... I hesitate to say 'missed cues', but a sort of tonal inevitability or gravity. Essentially, in a purely written form, there wouldn't really be the exchange between Wing and Inks leading to the armed party searching for the beckoning thuamaturge. It was a bad idea on my part to go that way in terms of pacing, even if it was a solid idea to emphasize that Inks remains optimistic, inquisitive, and willing to learn from her mistakes and correct her approaches accordingly. I could have played it much more gunshy, after the encounter with Stanewald, but I also find playing relentlessly paranoid or defensive characters as exhausting. Better to be vulnerable and open to enriching experiences than a fastidiously closed-off character.

I should also stress that defensive play is a characteristic of competitive or adversarial games, and while those are certainly enjoyable, I'm here to work with my ST and adhere to the aesthetic/utility function of 'Playing Iblan Inks, Twilight Solar'.

So because of my choice and the approach I took, I ended up wasting a decent amount of session time and energy for little purpose. In hindsight I felt pretty bad about this, because Aleph's time and my own is precious. At the same time, since my preference is more 'game' and less 'story', sometimes these missed cues are just part of the experience. I feel bad about it, but in the same way as failing to execute a skill check in a videogame or similar. Not a big loss.

Acknowledging that though, Aleph did think fast and set the stage for the subsequent meeting, by giving me the time and opportunity to learn more about who or what I was going to be meeting. As a general advice to Storytellers who read these postmortems, take advantage of whatever scenes or situations you get to advance the story or characterization in some way.

But, now we get to the real meat of the session, and our meeting with the first openly apparent Lunar- Balasahr! Aleph's put a lot of work into the Coxati region, and it shows because I'm pretty interested in exploring it. Aleph has a lot of experience by proxy from @EarthScorpion in writing NPCs that have clear and actionable histories- especially in context of Exalted. We've all been playing or aware of this game and setting for over a decade now, and it shows.

Over a hundred sessions in, Aleph is also getting more comfortable with older or 'elder' characters. But a lot of that comfort I think has to do with me and her willingness to engage with a lot of the initial ground level concepts to Inks's character- the 'build it herself' theming that's been pretty constant throughout the whole game. Strong established characters crowd out the space for Inks to shine and industrious futurist and visionary. What I think Aleph did with Balasahr that was a nice thread-the-needle is that he did do something amazing, even if it ended up poorly, and has since not given up either. He remains industrious in his own way and methods, at angle to Inks's own directions, but not conflicting or competing either. Its an easy mistake to make, as a Storyteller, putting an NPC who is too suited to a PC's goals or ideals that it ends up feeling patronizing, or the player can feel pressured to take the NPC, asset or gifted advantage out of some sense of not wanting to waste the Storyteller's time or attention.

Balasahr I think is going to be an interesting character going forward. And much like the Unknown Anami, he has a sort of geographical tension that I can't yet easily overcome- mostly due to lack of fast travel magic.

The other interesting consideration about him comes from game pacing- at the end of the session you'll have noted Aleph mentioning that I could've run into his plot twice now- she finally decided to put him front and center. As well as the deeper backstory of the Coxati region. This is actually a fairly common concept in game-running, if the Storyteller has a fairly built up setting or plot-hooks around but not yet caught. This isn't railroading really either, because Aleph made a very careful point to focus a lot of Balasahr's attention on what Inks was doing, instead of making his presence about himself, or his own history and intentions. Aleph let me run off and decide what to do about the Wyld-Warding project, opting to roleplay than strictly have him ask me. I could bet that she was fairly certain I would offer almost reflexively, heh!

I think the last major note of this postmortem, is to wax euphoric about the use of Beckoning! 2e Thaumaturgy is one of those brilliant but underappreciated textural mechanics that inject a lot of useful insight into Creation its workings. And I think a lot of folks don't give it a fair shake or read it unfavorably as to decry it beneath notice. There are just dozens of useful little quirks and tricks that explain how mortals do things- and sure it can be taken too far in either direction, made too important or not important enough- but of the many 2nd edition hills I will die on, this one has my flag and I'm proud of it.

Anyway, that's the postmortem!

Last edited:
Session 117 - Gratitude Shakes the Lands
Okay! And here in the last surge of updates- this is the end of my buffer's buffer, so we'll be back to 'one session behind' posting with the latest chapter. Hopefully. Anyway, Join us as we discuss Gratitude Shakes the Land! Big props to @Aleph as usual.

The real underlying truth of this session, is that we kept getting delayed by other on-screen commitments or tangents that threw off our pacing. You'll have noticed in the recent logs how Aleph has been wanting to get Inks to the dams to start work. And this whole 'arc' in and of itself is the intervening period to those dams. The whole stopover in Gem, resolving all of that stuff and carrying on to Coxati. Its a much more decompressed take on what I had originally expected, to say the least.

Like, when I was ST for other games, in the event above, it goes something like this:

1. I have an ongoing plot that is waitnig to progress
2. Intervening events are pushing the intended plot back. Be it a PC's desires or mine as ST.
3. In the interests of narrative expediency, planned challenges or similar are truncated in favor of advancing.

This isn't meant to be an indictment or criticism of how Sunlit Sands have been run, but it is relevant to the idea of game pacing. It could have easily been something as simple as 'On arriving in Gem, Inks spent a number of weeks addressing her various responsibilities, and our story moves on to scenic Coxati!'

There's nothing wrong with doing it either way, and being aware of when to use it is in my opinion crucial as a storyteller. Especially in context of Exalted, where lots of tables don't give downtime or heavily deprecate it in favor of what I call action-film pacing. (Viewers recognize new scenes as the passage of time, but generally assume the time is measured in much shorter values. A journey of 3 scenes could be 3 days or 3 weeks.)

The question comes down to 'what is the most satisfying to play', for both ST and players. Since TTRPGS are a cooperative and scheduled hobby, you want to be consciencious of people's time as well. Anyway, I'm meandering about. A lot of good and interesting characterization beats happened over the past several sessions, and that alone made them worthwhile. It is however important to maintain awareness of plots, goals and resolutions- like the big boy that got addressed here!

Ah, Tekutali and his drum. Really this is actually yet another wonderful demonstration of the fluidity of STing that Aleph has practiced hard at and is getting very adept at using. The Drum plot gave way to El Galabi and another of other considerations until Aleph exercised her authority as GM to do plot-alchemy and combined 'The Search for the Drum' with 'The Bandit of Gem'. This is in essence a more complex version of the same technique she employed last session with Balasahr.

But this also leads to an interesting phenomenom that I've encountered in my experience playing Exalted- and I'm pretty confident it'd be true of lots of other systems and settings played via text chat. Plots take much longer to resolve, due to any number of complicating and contributing factors. As you'll see in the logs- Tekutali charged Inks with the quest to find the Drum back around Session 29, and concluded it here in session 117. That took nearly three if not four-in-game years, and just a bit shorter in actual real person years. February 2019 to September 2022.

Because online games- especially of Exalted- are prone to longform digression and tangenting, and lack the speedy resolution of more focused tactical games like Dungeons and Dragons, you end up with this sort of telescoping plot structure that can get away with you.

I think I'll get back to the thought about the length of the quest, but to really give that context, I need to talk about the rewards.

Exalted is a very simulationist or ludonarrative setting- especially Second Edition, which Aleph and I have the most interest and experience in. With that in mind, there are no real loot tables or easily understood reward systems in place for achieving goals. Implicitly, you do things in-character because your character wants those things. They're either objectives in pursuit of a greater goal, or an end unto themselves. A scavenger lord wants to strike rich, a pious immaculate wants to spread the faith, and the Solar wants to be as heroic or terrible as their personality dictates.

So this means the Storyteller has to be very careful and considerate when it comes to rewarding players for accomplishments, good roleplaying, and participating in the ongoing plots. In the best case, the players will be invested regardless of rewards. I can tell you going in that the primary reason I wanted to return Tekutaki's drum was that I was hoping to develop him as an Ally for more Sorcery. At the time I had expected the plot to be much more straight-forward and easily resolved, justifying a 2-dot background for Emerald circle spells. More fool I that I delayed. But also very good of Aleph to account for that in the actual rewards that did come up.

As a related point, re: simulationist, is that Tekutali can't give things he doesn't have. And the sign of a well-developed game is the thought put into what an NPC or state or faction might have availible at that moment versus in general or under ideal circumstances. If Aleph were too generous, I'd feel it worthwhile to develop Tekutali even more than I already want to, possibly to the detriment of other future potential arcs and ideas. Too little and I feel that the litereal years of waiting for resolution would've amounted to nothing- and here's where we get back to the 'quest length' topic.

The fact is, I didn't really do a lot of work to find the drum. I didn't 'play the game' looking for it. It ended up transforming from an implicit objective I sought out to secure an asset into a macguffin in its own right- a useful and functional one, a consequentail one- but a macguffin nonetheless. That's not to say the way the story played out was disatisfying- far from it. But it is a worthwhile recontextualization. I basically took I thinka bout two, maybe three specific actions to look for the drum before Jinx stole it, and I largely was content to let it ride because I was pretty sure wherever it was, no one was willing or able to use it to summon volcanos like I thought.

I think that covers the setting/pacing structure commentary- now let's talk about the rewards themselves!

The obvious stuff is simple- more spells and Tekutali's power as a strong anchor (4 dots! That's all of Sapphire and maybe an Adamant spell or too!) Then there's also the untapped potential of him serving as an anchor for a Sorcerous Working! Back in session 29, I had a much less comprehensive grasp of how Anchors were supposed to work, and a such my spells are sort of all over the place. Essentially the idea is that for both NPCs and PCs, you're meant to specialize in 1-2 types of Anchors; like Artifact and Ally, or Backing and Reputation, with a handful of outlier backgrounds. This is especially relevant in long-term spells or Workings. Instant-duration spells like Banishment, Brilliant Raptor and the like can use nearly anything conveniently, but longer spells or demon bindings need stable supports.

The log covers the specific spell options well enough, but I was certainly satisfied with the availible choices! And Aleph can always add more later! That's a big secret to STing- don't explain specific limits, even as for a twist to break them later. It makes more sense in a story than it does a game-shared-story experience.

The Sapphire Spell choice, as you can all see from the logs, is an obvious gimmie- and like Tekutali falls neatly into one of the many subtle or overt 'Your Creation May Vary' aspects Aleph has woven into Sunlit Sands. I think I have more thoughts on this, but maybe not for this post. Suffice to say I'm looking forward to learning more about how and why Tekutali knows of the Unconquered Sun in a female aspect, among other things.

The real meat of the reward though was Chronicle. For context, Chronicle has been a bog-standard corebook Grand Daiklave for the entire game. And we have over the years tried to write a specific power for it. In the kerisgame discord there was this wonderful discussion about how it absolutely represents Inks as a character, in its current form. I'll see about sharing it at some point. Anyway- for wider context, a lot of 2nd edition corebook artifacts were intended to serve as templates first, that you layered custom powers on afterwords. The basic statline is actually not worth the two or three artifact dots, and this goes moreso for armor, since the corebook gear was overcosted that early in line development.

Over the years we've bandied about ideas, and one of them even sort of mutated into what became the Dragon's Staff- though I don't think Aleph might've done so conciuosly- she was firmly in the space of 'Imperialist Sorcerer's Staff', while I've contributed ideas to the tune of 'Weapon that absorbs something from defeated foes'.

But here sometimes simple ideas are the best- and we relied on the idea that Chronicle's name meant something- which it should have. I should also clarify that Chronicle was always Inks's sword in conception, but prior version of it worked differently. In the previous attempts at her character, the sword had a drawback that lowered it down to two-dots instead of 3. The drawback was a demon would be summoned once a year, gather debris to form a body, and attack the wielder. In context of the High-First Age, it was 'Dinner and a Show' imbued into an artifact. That drawback got wiped out in the development of Sunlit Sands, but the name stuck.

The other major meaty part of this postmortem is how game psychology sometimes leaks into character decisions and ideas. In context of a game like Exalted, its easy to fall into the mental trap of 'builds'. Not to say they aren't useful, encapsulating various useful concepts into a simple title or descriptor like 'Solar Hero Stylist' or 'Solar Meleeist'.

With that in mind, its tempting to optimize, or to develop something too niche and focused. Or more positively, end up with what Aleph did here for Chronicle. In essence, Aleph helped shore up one of Inks's critical weaknesses- quickdraw ranged attack and area control. Because she is slow on foot (for now), and most of her ranged options are tied up into Sorcery, opposing characters can outrun her and outfight her. The three powers given over here (spoilered below), help fill in a gap in Inks's competence without compromising the great depth and lore that makes Exalted great. They don't have to be fantastic, good and omni-applicable useful mechanics to be fun and engaging.

I am however going to laugh, and pre-empt the obvious question: "But Shyft- you hate 3e Evocations, and this looks suspiciously like a 3e Artifact now!" - and I do hate 3e evocations, but for a very specific set of reasons I will likely elaborate on in another post!

Now the really neat bit that came out of this, and something I normally have been very gunshy about- was Chronicle's own history distinct from Inks herself. You'll all have noticed I've not exactly gone out of my way to engage with the 'history' of the setting, mostly out of avoiding the burden of all the HFA 'done for you' energies I've discussed before. Aleph threaded that particular needle quite well here, establishing the artifacts' provenance without unduly upselling it over Inks's own accomplishments. Part of the success of that is by clarifying the previous wielder was different, not better or worse. Tekutali obviously had an opinion- but that was the end of it, not a mouthpiece NPC describing something axiomatic.

The last reward is an interesting trick, and a fairly common one too in Storytelling circles. The 'wildcard'. Aleph did narrow its applcability quite a lot, but she also took shameless advantage of it to really embelish how and why it was significant. She moved it from a purely abstract 'game' asset to a powerful and meaningful example of worldbuilding and characterization for Tekutali, Creation and its metaphysics, and Inks herself. The prayer strip is 'unfocused', in such a way that I do not feel pressured or predisposed to use it on anything in particular- its not set up as the solution to a forgotten plot or the hidden secret weapon to a future one. It's mine to do with as I please, as it should be.

Hmm... I think I'll follow up this post with another one later, adding some more thoughts about Magma Kraken and the dam itself. It'll etiher be its own post, or the next postmortem.

Speed 5, Accuracy +3, Damage +12L/4; Defense +1; Rate 3, Tags: 2, O, R, P; Attune 8m

"The storied blade Inks possesses is named Chronicle for the record it keeps of its wielder's deeds. When it tells its tales, the world trembles at her remembered glory. Once per story, when its wielder accomplishes a legendary deed or completes her Motivation, Chronicle may add the tale to one of the scrolls its least god keeps. Each wielder starts with a blank scroll - one man's deeds cannot empower his successor's battles - and each heroic exploit found worthy enough to be inscribed in Chronicle's memory is known as an imbuement. Up to (artefact rating) imbuements may be recorded on a given wielder's scroll, with the choice of which to erase to make room for a new one in their hands.

As a Speed 6, DV -2 Simple action, Chronicle's wielder may hold it high and announce the name of one of their imbuements. As they do so, a change comes over the blade. It may burn with remembered flame and reflect the terrible visage of a slain elemental dragon in honour of the great deed it proclaims, or ice over with unmelting frost in which countless praises are etched to pay tribute to the frozen city saved from a long, cold death. By invoking an imbuement in this way, Chronicle unlocks the unique artefact power associated with it. Invocation lasts one scene, and can be changed prior to that point by a second invocation."

Inks's Imbuements are:

Chronicle of the Abyssal Pyre
"Imbued by Inks' travels through Dead Gem and the Dead Anam and her conquest of El Galabi, in this form Chronicle's golden blade is almost entirely obscured by shrouding black fumes and rivulets of vivid blue pyreflame. Its awful majesty exerts a fearful grasp on denizens of the Underworld, provoking Valour checks at Difficulty 1 in all Creatures or Death that see the blade.

As a Speed 6 Simple action, the wielder may sweep Chronicle down and launch an arc of conjured pyreflame out ahead of them. This is resolved as a standard melee attack against all targets in a straight line (artefact rating x 5) yards long that is unblockable without an artefact weapon.

Should the attack exceed a target's DV, rather than standard damage, any Creature of Death struck is set alight with a memory of pyreflame. This acts as a 4L/action, Trauma 5 environmental hazard that burns for (artefact rating x 2) actions or until smothered by earth. Non-Creatures of Death are unhurt, though the experience of phantasmal pyreflame washing over them will often provoke mundane Valour checks in all but the most courageous."

Chronicle of the Burning Sands
"Imbued by Inks' adventures on the Anam Way and her defeat of the Dragon Reborn, in this form Chronicle's surface is covered in swirling patterns of fine-grained sand which tongues of orange flame cling to, almost invisible in the light. Hot, dry winds circle it, carrying more sand with them - a sandstorm wrapped around the blade.

When the Burning Sands are invoked, a burning sandstorm bursts out from the wielder or an epicentre she chooses within (artefact rating x 10) yards, acting as a one-time environmental hazard (artefact rating x 2) yards across that deals (Essence + artefact rating) lethal damage with Trauma (artefact rating). Any characters damaged by the initial burst are subject to knockdown unless they make a successful Diff 2 (Dex/Sta + Ath/Res) roll.

Subsequent to this initial burst, the sandstorm abates to the level of a bonfire (4L/action, Trauma 3), and Chronicle's wielder may move it around the battlefield as they wish. It has a flat Move distance of (artefact rating) and is not hindered by any type of terrain, though it cannot pass through solid barriers. It obscures vision completely and the swirling winds within it act as 50% cover to ranged projectiles. Chronicle's wielder is immune to the environmental hazard both in the initial burst and the following lesser form."

Chronicle of the Fire-in-Earth
" Imbued by Inks' retrieval of the volcano god Tekutali's jewelled drum and her slaying of the demon lord Stanewald en route to return it, in this form Chronicle's gleaming golden surface is half-covered in a layer of fractured black volcanic stone. Magma glows from within the cracks, and the orichalcum surface is painfully hot to the touch.

The wielder can make a special feat of strength action to destroy an object made of earth or stone by explosively shattering it, reducing it to dust or melting it into lava, adding Chronicle's artefact rating to their pool. Object-sized parts of structures are explicitly allowed. A feat of strength pool of 4 allows objects the size of a dog to be targeted with this power. A pool of 8 permits objects the size of a human child. A pool of 12 can target a statue of an adult man, while a pool of 16 can affect objects the size of an ox. A pool of 20 can destroy objects the size of an elephant, while a pool of 24 can reach even objects as large as a grown yeddim.

As usual, a feat of strength five dots higher than necessary to destroy an object allows it to be hurled up to (Strength+Athletics) yards with a Speed 5 (Per+Thrown) roll at a -3 Accuracy penalty. Chronicle's artefact rating applies to feats of strength targeting stone objects for this purpose as well, and may be used to hurl lava it has created. For the purposes of damage calculation, a projectile's Size is the (Strength+Athletics required to lift it)/4, rounded up - a dog would be Size 1, while a grown man would be Size 3."

Lava projectile: Speed 5, Accuracy -3, Damage 4+(Size x 2)L, Rate 1, Range (Strength+Athletics), Tags O (Size)

::SIDEBAR - A LEGENDARY CHRONICLE::
" Many of Chronicle's powers are based on the strength of its artefact rating. In its current form, it is a 3-dot artefact, but sufficient work and labour could empower the blade further.

Not only would this increase the number of imbuements its scrolls of glory could hold and empower each imbuement further, but the fundamental powers of the blade might likewise be enhanced. At 4 dots, each imbuement might gain a special clause or circumstance which would allow it to be activated reflexively, while at 5 dots it might sway the pattern spiders to twist Fate itself in honour of each imbuement for the duration of the scene, or some feat of similar scope."

Last edited:
So, the Magma Kraken is super neat and what I'm getting from this is the Drum is more or less Tekutali's dog whistle.

Which makes the idea of stealing both absolutely awful and kinda hilarious at the same time from the perspective of someone stealing it and the perspective of the Magma Kraken.

Returning the drum and Tekutali waking up his Magma Kraken just kinda reminded me of a big sleeping dog getting woken up by their owner like "Oh hey Dad, are we doing something? No, just wanted to say I love you? I love you too, Dad. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz."

As a bonus, have the Styles that Priscia uses!

Butterfly Style

An obscure split style, Butterfly is somewhat out of vogue in most of Creation due to the pacifistic approach that is core to its philosophy. It is technically comprised of two styles, one martial and one social, which teach the same approach to conflict and are traditionally learned as a pair.

Scarlet Butterfly Style (Brawl/Melee)
Try to strike a butterfly, and the air you displace will carry it safely out of harm's way. This style is a purely defensive approach to combat whose fluttering movements gracefully deflect, evade and distract attackers with eye-catching illusions and an unexpected lack of resistance to force. It cannot be used with armour, but treats small shields, war fans, rope weapons and graceful improvised tools as form weapons for the purpose of parrying. Dice from Butterfly Style are inapplicable to actions if the user has made an attack within the past three rounds.
  1. +1 Move/Dash when retreating from an attack made the previous action.
  2. -1 to attackers' pools when the practitioner is unarmoured and dressed in loose, flowing, brightly-coloured garments.
  3. +1 DV if you have done nothing but successfully defend against attacks or retreat for the past three rounds.

Cerulean Butterfly Style (Presence/Socialise)
Try to strike a butterfly, and the air you displace will carry it safely out of harm's way. Practitioners of this style are pretty, fluttering socialites who never engage openly in arguments, instead using graceful deflection and distraction to avoid the harsh words of others. Dice from Butterfly Style are inapplicable to direct, aggressive or forceful social actions, and can only be used to parry social influence indirectly.
  1. +1 to identify potential sources of strife such as grudges, negative Principles or intent to start arguments.
  2. +1 to change the topic of a conversation in order to avoid conflict.
  3. +1 DDV against attempts to draw the practitioner into social combat or glean details they are trying to keep hidden.

Session 125 - Deepwater Dyke
So a kind follower gently requested that I remind folks that Sunlit Sands is still ongoing. We were in a period of slow-mode discord play by post, which meant some of the more recent sessions were longer and more dense than usual. That also meant that I wasn't as in the right space to do a specific postmortem.

Having said that, I welcome questions and comments on the game as always, in addition to @Aleph 's view of Sunlit Sands or my own experiences with Exalted!

For reference, Session 125, Deepwater Dyke!

I'm a little surprised Inks didn't want to deploy the Dehya to the Bloody Sands if only to escort caravans through it (or get a variable amount of income from raids). It's not her preferred means of wealth accumulation but it'd be a way to keep her oar stuck in a geographic neighbor and keep her ear to the ground on stuff like the Dragon Reborn.

That may just be the asset-hoarding part of me though.

I'm a little surprised Inks didn't want to deploy the Dehya to the Bloody Sands if only to escort caravans through it (or get a variable amount of income from raids). It's not her preferred means of wealth accumulation but it'd be a way to keep her oar stuck in a geographic neighbor and keep her ear to the ground on stuff like the Dragon Reborn.

That may just be the asset-hoarding part of me though.

At the time, my main impulse was that I wanted an arc that included Pipera, and due to the character personalities involved, Pipera doesn't play very well with Nabijah or Tatters, so I try to keep them separate from each other. In hindsight, I absolutely should have brought the Deyha, but live and learn!

That is sometimes the bad part of TTRPGs that focus on a linear narrative, I can't 'go back' and replay a sequence some other way.

Back