Sport Tanks and the Shangri-La

Chapter 1, Turn 4
As Sabah kept driving, you nudged her with your foot carefully.

"Angle south a bit, they're going to be charging in." you said, slewing the tank turret to keep painting the enemy and keeping that commander's gun out of action.

"Can they do anything else?"

"As long as they don't see us? No." you replied, trying to hold your nerves together. As the tank went over a particularly nasty log, the engine coughed violently, and you growled, kicking at the firewall at the back of the fighting compartment. "Goddamn piece of trash four-bore…" you muttered.

"I'm gonna stop the tank and let it ride down a little." Sabah sighed, glaring. "Think you can fix the track? It feels loose."

"Sure." You replied, unlatching the back hatch and hopping out casually. Pulling off your headset, you tossed it to rest on the breech of the gun, before whipping out the hammer and fork from your repair kit. Going over to the track, you sighed. One of the return rollers had eaten some shit, and it was forcing the track out of the roller guides. Sighing, you shoved your fork in, heaving the track back into the right spot, before banging on the small log that had gotten snarled in.

"Get back in the tank!" Sabah yelled from the front, opening her driver's door angrily. "Your headset is screaming!"

Jumping up the side and throwing yourself in, you nearly slammed your arm into the ready rack while throwing on the headset.

"-there? Damnit! Come in, Celeste!"

"This is Celeste," you said, shutting the hatch behind you as you settled down into your sling seat. "What is it?"

"This is Michelle. I've got a shot into his flank, but it's not a good one."

Some quick mental math later, and you peered down the sights. No dice. Growling, you fumbled around for a spotting scope that Cerdan had loaned you, and a quick pop out the back got you a bead on the behemoth out there.

"Four notches high… seven notches long… carry the two, god I wish I had some paper…" you muttered, mental math crunching away. "About a hundred and thirty yards. I'm not going to be loosing velocity, at least…"

"Yeah, the gun's battle zero is a hundred and fifty, so you're fine." Sabah said, flicking your headset back to the A set. "Just aim for the squishy bits."

"You saw what happened when Solomon shot at them, though." You said.

"Yeah, at their front." Sabah groused. "If everyone fires together, though, y'all should ring their bell hard enough to knock some of the gun turrets out. Plus, they're rookies, and you saw what happened when Solomon made his screwup. Remember, that big gun is probably an explosive chucker, and that means it probably can't knock us out."

"Wait, really?"

"Did you even read the blasted knockout rules?!" Sabah yelled at you.

"Yeah, a fucking week ago during lunch! Kind of hard to remember that while we're in a match!"

Sabah glared at the block of armored glass she used as a viewport, and you could feel the iridescent ire. "High explosive can't actually take us out of the match, they need a solid shell from the machine guns or the smaller cannons for that."

"That's incredibly risky."

"That's a risk you'll have to take."

Griping, you got over on the B-set, getting ready to give your orders. If you wanted, you could end it now- if God was with you. Could you know that, though? After all, you could always wait for a rear shot. Right?

Votes

Team
[] Everyone, open fire.
[] Everyone, hold fire until we have better positioning.

Driver
[] Drive to tile xyz
[] Spot for tanks
[] Wait
[] Repair Component
-[] Write-in

Commander
[] Radio check to communicate
-[] Write-in what you want to say
[] Shoot a target
-[] Mystery Tank 1, range band 2 (shot will be at no penalty versus SIDE armor)
[] Reload!
[] Spot for tanks
[] Wait
[] Repair Component
-[] Write-in

docs.google.com

Character sheets!

Last edited:
On the one hand, I don't trust the facing yet. On the other hand, the advice isn't wrong.

Tentatively...

[X] Plan Encircle Complete
-[X] Team - Everyone, open fire.
-[X] Driver - Drive to tile G-17-3
-[X] Commander - Shoot a target
--[X] Mystery Tank 1, range band 2 (shot will be at no penalty versus SIDE armor)

Last edited:
On the one hand, I don't trust the facing yet. On the other hand, the advice isn't wrong.

Tentatively...

[X] Plan Encircle Complete
-[X] Driver - Drive to tile G-17-3
--[X] Mystery Tank 1, range band 3 (shot will be at -1 penalty versus FRONT armor)
To clarify, @7734 , if we make a vote where we move and take a shot, will we fire at the beginning of the turn (before the driver moves) or will we be able to fire at the end of the turn (after we've moved)?

[X] Plan Russian Baguette.
-[X] Team - everyone, hold fire until we have better positioning.
-[X] Driver - Drive to tile H-17-4
-[X] Commander - Wait

End of turn.

Please adjust your vote; I didn't correctly set the options up.
Good to know.

In that case, I think something similar to Spectrum's plan is our best shot.

[X] Plan Encircle Modified
-[X] Driver - Drive to tile H-17-4
--[X] Mystery Tank 1, range band 2 (shot will be at no penalty versus SIDE armor)

This plan puts us directly behind the enemy tank, letting us fire directly into their rear armor. I'm hoping that any malus to our accuracy from moving is made up for by us having a direct shot at where the armor is thinnest. This should also put either our side or frontal armor facing them. It probably won't help much if they decide to focus on us, but it could still keep us from getting knocked out entirely if we're lucky and they roll really low.

Plus, you never know. Maybe they'll freak out so much about us being right behind them that they'll turn around and give the other tanks a clear shot.

Back