Sonic the Hedgehog General

The island first appeared in Issue 98, this is the people that worked on that.

Writer
  • Karl Bollers
  • Ken Penders
  • Michael Gallagher

Cover artist
  • Patrick Spaziante
  • Ken Penders

Cover coloring
  • Josh Ray
  • Aimee Ray

Layouts
Joe Pepitone

Pencils
  • Patrick Spaziante
  • Ron Lim
  • Dave Manak

Inks
  • Harvey Mercadoocasio
  • Nelson Ribeiro
  • Pam Eklund
  • Jim Amash

Letters
  • Jeff Powell
  • Vickie Williams

Colors
  • Patrick Spaziante
  • Nelson Ribeiro
  • Frank Gagliardo

Editor
Justin Freddy Mendez-Gabrie

Managing editor
Victor Gorelick

Editor-in-Chief
Richard H. Goldwater

Chairman
Michael I. Silberkleit

Publisher
  • Richard H. Goldwater
  • Michael I. Silberkleit

President
Richard H. Goldwater

Art director
Justin Freddy Mendez-Gabrie

So my money is on Penders.

I read up to the 110th issue of the comic. I must admit, I think that the inclusion of humans and their city from the games was made somewhat ridiculous. But I don't think it would be easy to do it differently there and not break everything.

I still don't understand why people laugh and hate at these comics so much. Maybe because I do not read the story of the echidnas. But besides some points with the fact that the King Acorn is an asshole, I don't see what's so bad.

I read up to the 110th issue of the comic. I must admit, I think that the inclusion of humans and their city from the games was made somewhat ridiculous. But I don't think it would be easy to do it differently there and not break everything.

I still don't understand why people laugh and hate at these comics so much. Maybe because I do not read the story of the echidnas. But besides some points with the fact that the King Acorn is an asshole, I don't see what's so bad.

The Echidnas were a sticking point, although it also bled onto other things, if I recall correctly, including Sally later saying her father was completely in the right for saying that they should enact pogroms against the roboticised Mobians. His comments after leaving the comics caused people to look at them in a new and uncomfortable light as well.

I read everything including before the Genesis reboot. The one with the Mega Man . And I have to say that despite the fact that Ian is a great writer, there are dark spots. Namely, this whole story with the rebellion of Tails parents. It was extremely stupid. I understand why this was done, but still I don't really like it. I also love the new design of all the characters of this era except Sally. Her design changes between normal and not. I also really like the way he brought old things from the very first comics back into focus.

Also, I don't quite understand the discontent with the Bollers style. In my opinion, his era where there was no Penders presence was very good. Especially the alien arch.

Well, the last. I really don't really appreciate how Eggman is portrayed in the comics. Yes, maybe he is more threatening, but it just does not work for me.
The Echidnas were a sticking point, although it also bled onto other things, if I recall correctly, including Sally later saying her father was completely in the right for saying that they should enact pogroms against the roboticised Mobians. His comments after leaving the comics caused people to look at them in a new and uncomfortable light as well.
I literally can't read about the Echidhas because I don't have access to the comics on them. And I don't understand anything.

Last edited:

Penders has multiple major conflicts with asshole dads who the dad does nothing to actually change their ways and then gets forgiven at the end with the kid saying they should've listened more, which is both the Acorns and the Knuckles family and I *think* there was a third- it was a fairly major theme. The focus on echidna and how they're repeatedly retconned into being bigger and bigger (Lost civilization. Some still around. Civilization still around and advanced making the lost stuff not make sense!).

Pender's also made a number of out-of-comic comments that lower a lot of opinions retroactively too.

What I understood while reading about how Sega treats Sonic and his lore backstage. The film actually doesn't seem to be under the strong control of Sega it seems, given how Sonic actually has a backstory, we see him as a child and other differences. We only need Romance to completely break those lines that Sega indicates. But I doubt that Romance will even appear in films.

I personally have little interest in giving Sonic any sort of detailed backstory in the games, it seems to work out better that both he and Eggman are largely unexplained monsters who go head to head every so often.

There are hints about Sonic being some sort of chosen one or a "naturally occurring" version of whatever Shadow is, but the lore is more stable as it is, I think. The movies having their own continuity works out.

IE claiming that St.John was his SI OC and that he took Sally's virginity while she was a minor, shit like that.
Yes, it's pretty disgusting.

But I will say something else that I did not like in the Ian period. Why did you have to make St.John a traitor? I know that he is a huge asshole in the first comics, I read them. Then he got better and just disappeared at some point. I honestly preferred that John simply remain a background character who sometimes works with Sonic than this strange arch with betrayal and magic.

Yes, it's pretty disgusting.

But I will say something else that I did not like in the Ian period. Why did you have to make St.John a traitor? I know that he is a huge asshole in the first comics, I read them. Then he got better and just disappeared at some point. I honestly preferred that John simply remain a background character who sometimes works with Sonic than this strange arch with betrayal and magic.

Define Traitor? IIRC, St.John was loyal to Ixis Nagus from the Penders days. He didn't see it as being a traitor because King Acorn swore fealty to Nagus at one point. I don't recall him selling the Freedom Fighters out to anyone else? Or am I just forgetting?

Define Traitor? IIRC, St.John was loyal to Ixis Nagus from the Penders days. He didn't see it as being a traitor because King Acorn swore fealty to Nagus at one point. I don't recall him selling the Freedom Fighters out to anyone else? Or am I just forgetting?
I mean exactly this new development . I just don't buy it and see it as a retcon of the past. Perhaps this is due to the fact that I actually read these old Issues recently. But I just don't see how John really served Ixis Nagus

Last edited:
Perhaps this is due to the fact that I actually read these old Issues recently.
I read those old comics as well, and I can easily see him as being a traitor( or even just acting like he was) if it advances whatever agenda he had.
IIRC his actual goals were always suspect and didn't ever really seem to mesh with his methods.

Last edited:
I read those old comics as well, and I can easily see him as being a traitor( or even just acting like he was) if it advances whatever agenda he had.
IIRC his actual goals were always suspect and didn't ever really seem to mesh with his methods.
Yes, I can see this interpretation of John. Due to many factors, John behaved at least strangely. But personally, I never got the feeling that he was not devoted to Max. On the contrary, he is too loyal to him and too ready to be his attacking dog. However, I think that this whole story with secret devotion to Nagus does not fit there. Regarding his true goals, it was always strange. And then John married Hershey and somehow stopped showing up a lot.

Regarding politics inside the comic, Sally and her father. Personally, I would like to see this Max as a character similar to Uncle Chuck, full of guilt for past mistakes. Plus, I personally think that the story of Max should be about the King who returned to the world where he has virtually no power. His daughter has been in management for years, his authority is absent and no one in fact submits to him. He has no reason to be in a position of strength. He needs to prove to the children who grew up fighting and defeating Eggman that he is worthy to stand next to them. That he can help correct his mistakes.

Plus, you can put the part about Sally governing or you can say rule because she was the one who led the resistance, who forged a new alliance and ultimately led to the victory over Eggaman. Yes, for this you have to rewrite Operation: EndGame . I would say that it would be the best version.

Oh yes, another complaint. I consider what to make Max mentally disabled to such an extent was a mistake. We never got the confrontation between Sally and Max as we got the confrontation between Knuckles and his father. And honestly, it just feels bad when the characters say how Max was wrong and guilty, while he is literally in a wheelchair and rolls into dementia.

Late addition. I'm not sure that it's true that King Max began to slide into dementia. This is just my interpretation of how he behaves in the comics in the last chapters.

Last edited:
Blue hedgehog has potential to become hypersonic violent murderman.

News at 11.

I finally finished reading all the Archie Sonic Comics that is (Not including side series). I was surprisingly happy to see the post super genesis world. It is incredible how it feels differently compared to what it was before. Personally, I think that when Ian began with a new sheet, his creative wings literally opened. Of course, it's incredibly sad that it all ended so early. But his adaptation of the Sonic werewolf saga was wonderful.

Last edited:
I finally finished reading all the Archie Sonic Comics that is (Not including side series). I was surprisingly happy to see the post super genesis world. It is incredible how it feels differently compared to what it was before. Personally, I think that when Ian began with a new sheet, his creative wings literally opened. Of course, it's incredibly sad that it all ended so early. But his adaptation of the Sonic werewolf saga was wonderful.

Yes, he did a good job of giving similiarites but making it distinct. And he did get to complete one very large arc in it.

Since I have devoted so much time to complaints at some points that I do not like in Ian's run, I will balance this. And so I appreciate how much he returned even the smallest elements of past comics, even those that were in the days when Sonic had no plot. Larry unlucky lynx, huh.

Yes, he did a good job of giving similiarites but making it distinct. And he did get to complete one very large arc in it.
Yes, it was very good, especially how he made new characters to be Regional Bosses under Eggman. These characters were interesting.

The last thing I will say is that I am that small percentage of people who do not mind a small dose of politics and drama in the Sonic comic. That doesn't mean I like the way Ken Penders did it. However, for me it made the universe seem more alive. As well as possibly perceived by someone empty panels where Sonic just has breakfast with his family. I liked these things.

Last edited:
Back