Sonic the Hedgehog General

Sonic Boom is so self-aware sometimes I feel like it's Skynet messing with us-

Sonic: "Look what I found at the flea market!"
Knuckles: "Dude, is that Tomatopotomus 2?"
Tails: "That's the best one in the entire the series!

Tomatopotomus never worked in 3d."
Knuckles: "Game companies always ruin their beloved franchises."
Sonic: "And they never should've changed the color of Tomatopotomus's legs."
-Boom, S2 E14

I keep meaning to read the comics but then I forget. :/ There's so many of them, although I guess I should just start at the reboot. Everyone I know says it's a higher standard of quality. Plus it will have one of my favorites, Shadow, from the beginning.

I don't really play the games, I just like the music. Speaking o which, I love this song.

I keep meaning to read the comics but then I forget. :/ There's so many of them, although I guess I should just start at the reboot. Everyone I know says it's a higher standard of quality. Plus it will have one of my favorites, Shadow, from the beginning.

The start of the Ian Flynn run is the place I'd recommend to start and probably what is being referred to, not the reboot (which happened due to some RL stuff, and being in the middle of Flynn's run, didn't come with a notable change in quality. Though of course no problem starting there if you want).

The reboot's only had one big arc (made up of a lot of small adventures) and hasn't yet caught up in worldbuilding, though it's introduced a few cool places. Indeed, the big arc in effect deals with the physical side-effects of the reboot.

The pre-reboot time under Flynn's run had a lot of arcs of various sizes (the first story was kinda cleaning up loose ends, but it got on it's feat fast) with some great character moments, and a solid amount of material, though of course there's a few stories that were cut off at the end.

Sonic Universe, side 4-issue arcs focused on different characters, is almost always fun. Also where you'll get the most Shadow. Shadow was originally introduced before Flynn's run, so that's not a worry either way.

I wish Archie would put out more collections, but I haven't seen any come out in awhile so I don't know what's up.

Archie was a fun ride until the lawsuit ruined everything.

We will never see the SS follow through on their revenge. Or Geoffrey's redemption.

Archie was a fun ride until the lawsuit ruined everything.

We will never see the SS follow through on their revenge. Or Geoffrey's redemption.

Yea. Well, outside of fancomics- Glitcher is doing 'Sonic Retold', a fancomic at the divergence point the effects of the lawsuit first hit (the Echidnas going away, rather than at the point of the reboot), and he even worked on the book officially for a bit so it's quite up to quality.

That said, the post-reboot stuff still has fun adventures, and new characters like Clove and Cassie, Breezie (not technically new but quite reinvented from her old cartoon form!), Honey the Cat, and the aquatics have been filling in the world. Latest Sonic Universe story was the Chaotixs in a noir story finding a princess who'd fallen in with a band of pirates, and I can't say no to that ^^

Well if you wanna read the Archie Sonic comics you could always start at your local library, most libraries I've been to-at least in Washington state-had a couple on had. An they were usually paperback compilations that were roughly as thick as the average Tom Clancy paperback, by my estimate.

It's got an active show, two comics ( though I don't think they're at their sales height), and... well, can't answer you on the game front quality wise but new ones are still coming out at a good pace.

After the atrocity that was Sonic Boom, I kinda thought the Franchise was all but dead. Seriously, when three of your most recent games would be considered crimes against humanity, there is a problem.

After the atrocity that was Sonic Boom, I kinda thought the Franchise was all but dead. Seriously, when three of your most recent games would be considered crimes against humanity, there is a problem.

Nah, there's two games slated for this year, and the Sonic Boom *show* is great.

Heck, there was even a full four Boom games. I assume some of them were not *that* bad.

The games might have been terrible, but there are still the comics and TV show to consider, and as terrible as the Sonic Boom games were they probably at least made back their budget or close to it.

I'm sad that the newer games have mostly gotten rid of the 90s esque buttrock.

Last edited:
I'm sad that the newer games have mostly gotten rid of the 90s esque buttrock.
As an oldie, I do miss the more "momentum" based platforming that Sonic was known for, and the music has been shifting genres for a while now (though, previous Sonic games do feature genres that's more prevalent nowadays). However, I am looking forward to both Mania (which appeases the side of me that played the classic games), and Forces (which is looking good, even though I do have some criticism against the modern era (but I do like Generations :V)).

I'll put it like this: The last major game (Sonic Boom) was compared to Ride to Hell Retribution. That's not a good sign.

Even with that, the 3DS installation in the Boom series got a lot more positive review.

Sure, the first Boom game was wretched by all accounts, but one bad game is not a franchise killer. It does seem to have given us a mostly-skip year where not much came out, but it was more of a 'go back to the drawing board wakeup call' type thing, since both Sonic Mania and Sonic Forces are going in different directions.

I've always wanted to check out any of the comics/mangas to see if the franchise is really as cringeworthy as the internet claims.

Back