Shadowrun: Sins are not Forgotten

The GM has already Strongly suggested that you not have 1 in stats.
Is having Edge 1 suicidal?

I've been trying to kick around the numbers on an Elven sharpshooter/ sneaky person, and I can never juggle the numbers to come out right. If I get enough money for the cyberware, I'm way to low on essence, if I splurge for bioware, I don't have the skills to back it up, and I'm going to have only the most basic of armor and guns. (Lifestyle? What lifestyle? I'mma go full murderhobo until the first paycheck.)

If people are wondering why I really do not like 1s in stats in my first few sessions of 5e people died due to 1s in charisma and strength. I admit my 5e experience is mostly people new to Shadowrun but a few had 4e experience and built like it was 4e, hence why I am wary now of 1s in stats.

Is having Edge 1 suicidal?

I've been trying to kick around the numbers on an Elven sharpshooter/ sneaky person, and I can never juggle the numbers to come out right. If I get enough money for the cyberware, I'm way to low on essence, if I splurge for bioware, I don't have the skills to back it up, and I'm going to have only the most basic of armor and guns. (Lifestyle? What lifestyle? I'mma go full murderhobo until the first paycheck.)

Edge is a bit different since with charisma things as simple as composure require a charisma roll while if you have a high dice pool in core areas and a decent dice pool in other areas you do not worry about it as much though it is still a good idea to have what edge you can.

Last edited:
Right, I forgot about CFD....which I really don't like for a whole bunch of reasons, "cutting of an entire chain of augmentations" being the mildest really. Although that's bad enough on it's own, why do we need to nerf 'Ware? Oh and let's ignore the obvious solution of magical suspended animation to starve the nanites. Oh wait no we removed the spells for that in 5E! Never mind that spirit possession can still totally do it, so go grab some possession-tradition shamans, bind some spirits and have them ride the host for a month or two while they're locked in a hospital.
Oh and of course, technically all the nanites presented in Chrome Flesh are not freely programmable anymore, so they shouldn't even be affected by CFD anyway, and they come with a kill-switch too boot!

Oh, and if that actually convinces you to do it anyway - well, try to convince our dear GM to allow an ejector connected to the nanohive, and extrude Smart Corrosives from it. You could get two applications per week out of that, together with some storage. Was one of my favorite concepts back in 4E.

Well, there IS Control Rig Optimization Genetech - +1 to tests affected by a Control Rig. Just 0.1 Essence and 4.600€. In that case, no need for the cyberarm.

As for the attributes:
I agree, 1 in any attribute is bad.
Which is why I allocated Karma to buy up both Strength and Charisma to 2. Yes, it's min-maxing - but it entirely avoids the pitfall of utter incompetence in one area.
Speaking of which, the character still needs sneaking and Etiquette. Well, there's Karma left for that - 12 for 2 in both should do.

Sure. Should be fun.

Cool, would you rather communicate in PMs or Skype?

Incidentally, what are we looking at in terms of cutoff time for finishing up characters?

I am in no rush, I mentioned back in the Shadowrun main thread this would not be very fast paced as I do not have the time for a fast paced RP. Tomorrow for example I am out all day for medical and usually I am posting from mobile.

We don't have a face yet, do we?

I was thinking of going with a Hermetic Mage, but perhaps a Shaman with high Charisma might be more helpful.

Also have a face in mind, should we lack one in the end.

A Troll named Gentleman John.

He's a man of refinement and class.

And a massive amount of gambling debt.

I was planning to go for a face, actually -- Tremblay, an ex-CATCo Johnson now unemployable in the face of its collapse.

Just to ask, would this game be played as a Play-By-Post or will there be game sessions? I won't have the time to play if it's the latter, sadly.

I'm tempted to join but I have no experience with Shadowrun whatsoever, but I do know of the Cyberpunk genre.

If I do join, I may go with a simple concept about an ex-Mega Corp Security Chief being forced to become a Runner after a (very) hostile takeover from a rival Mega Corp kicked him out of a job.

Just to ask, would this game be played as a Play-By-Post or will there be game sessions? I won't have the time to play if it's the latter, sadly.

I'm tempted to join but I have no experience with Shadowrun whatsoever, but I do know of the Cyberpunk genre.

If I do join, I may go with a simple concept about an ex-Mega Corp Security Chief being forced to become a Runner after a (very) hostile takeover from a rival Mega Corp kicked him out of a job.

The plan is to do play by post.

I don't even know how many people we've got wanting to play right now.

Seven or Eight, counting yourself. But I've not seen a limit or deadline yet.

I have a co-gm now so I don't have plans to do a hard limit on characters. I have not done much PbP so I am not sure how hectic things get either.
Noted.

Also, in my experience, things get hectic around the start but eventually peters off until you're left with a core group.

What you can do is have the folks who stay for a long while (or even throughout the whole game) form the aforementioned "Core Group" with the folks who drop in to join from time to time be outside folks that the crew hired for whatever job they have at the time.

But again, that's your discretion in the end.

Another question while I'm mucking about with the numbers: Do we want to play Mirror Shades or Pink Mohawk? It'll influence what gear I get.

Another question while I'm mucking about with the numbers: Do we want to play Mirror Shades or Pink Mohawk? It'll influence what gear I get.

I asked Conundrum that myself in our planning convo. His response;

Pink Mohawk vs Black Trenchcoat is a sliding scale and I like to try and keep it in the middle. Keeps things logical, but Shadowrun logical. For example there are cameras everywhere recording everything, but, even if something happens the owners of those cameras will not necessarily work well with the police to bring all the data together or even come forward in the first place. Pink Mohawk works as long as you keep it sort of shock and awe to keep people wrong footed

My advice is to not over do it.

Think of it like this.

A covert group stops being covert when there are twenty of them.

Oh no worries on that front, runs are catered to the group, since we are looking at 8+ people it is possible to have as many as 3 runs going on concurrently across the continent or have 1 very loud run.

Noted.

Also, in my experience, things get hectic around the start but eventually peters off until you're left with a core group.

What you can do is have the folks who stay for a long while (or even throughout the whole game) form the aforementioned "Core Group" with the folks who drop in to join from time to time be outside folks that the crew hired for whatever job they have at the time.

But again, that's your discretion in the end.

That likely would work well with Shadowrun then since people can drop in doing runs or keeping low.

I just want to say, despite Lovelace's appearance. (Which is a chromed up girl of Moroccan decent and a fashion sense that would make tankgirl gawk)

She is very much into not dying. Best way to do that is not be seen.

Unless she happens to, you know, be in a manic swing without her meds. Then it's DAREDEVIL TO THE EXTREEEEEEME!

Back