If we want to avert the fall of the Republic, what do we need to do? I'm by no means an expert on the period, but given Rome's dependence on a steady flow of slaves and plunder from the periphery and the high weight given to military leadership as a way of burnishing one's credentials for a political career, I'm not sure how to avert the cycle of popular generals gaining both experienced troops and copious loot from campaigns and then leveraging those advantages into vast amounts of personal power that ended the Republic within the next fifty years.

Optimate [ X ] Tradition. Honor. The way of the ancestors. This is what Rome was built upon. This is what has brought us four centuries of glory. Those who would see it torn down would see Rome herself torn down. The law, the Senate, the sword -- these are what built the Republic, and these are what keep it safe still.
Traditionalist [ X ] The republican traditions of Rome are the finest in the world, built upon the backs of the Greeks and the Etruscans. They have stood for centuries, and they cannot --should not-- be changed. Such is the way of the ancestors. Such is the law of rock and stone and sea. Such is the will of the Gods.
The Priesthood [ X ] The College of Priests holds some of the most important and powerful men in the Republic. From the augurs to the high priests of the gods, each and every one of these men is vital to the continuing function of Rome and the livelihood of her people. Though they ostensibly stand apart from political squabbling, in reality, the priests are some of the most politically powerful men in Rome. As Scaevola's protege, you are allowed an unprecedented level of access to all levels of the College of Priests, and you take use of it, making friends with some of the most esteemed names in Rome.
Law [ X ] Scaevola is the lawyer. He has single-handedly reworked and rewritten many of the most antiquated and obsolete laws of the Republic, and created many of his own. His treatises on civil law and jurisprudence have become almost mythical among Roman advocates in his own lifetime, and his simplification and codification of some of the most complex laws of the Republic served to make him a household name long before he became Pontifex. His speeches stand as some of the finest works of oratory not only of your time, but of Roman history. There is no better teacher in the law, living or dead. (Speech, Oratory, and Law ++++)
Debt Collection [X] Cincornius, a debt collector in the employ of Scaevola, has been withholding funds for months, skimming from both the priesthood and the Roman people. Scaevola has decided to entrust you with returning the people's coin to them -- by any means necessary.
Exhibition [X] Young men of a martial bent often spend time practicing the sword in the Forum with the soldiers. Not only is this a good way to improve your skills, you can show off your prowess in battle to the Roman citizenry, and even win acclaim.

Something to note from the character sheet: right now it is 86 BC and we are 17 years old. According to Wikipedia:

If we want to climb the cursus honorum suo anno (for maximum prestige) we need to become a military tribune next year. On the other hand, we could try to make a statement, by climbing the cursus honorum at the same time as a non-patrician -- become a tribune at 20, a quaestor at 30, etc. (Demonstrate our readiness to fight for Roman equality, by living it).

...But on the first hand, I just did the math. 103 BC - 40 (minimum age for patrician consul) = 63 BC, which is the same year that Cicero become consul suo anno. What do you think -- a patrician and an equites 'self-made man' serving together on Rome's top office, fighting corruption and tyranny to save Rome from itself?

I like this quest.

Incidentally, you might want to check the charsheet again. :whistle:

If we want to avert the fall of the Republic, what do we need to do? I'm by no means an expert on the period, but given Rome's dependence on a steady flow of slaves and plunder from the periphery and the high weight given to military leadership as a way of burnishing one's credentials for a political career, I'm not sure how to avert the cycle of popular generals gaining both experienced troops and copious loot from campaigns and then leveraging those advantages into vast amounts of personal power that ended the Republic within the next fifty years.
Why would you want to stop the creation of the empire? The first and second triumvirate it's just beyond the corner? And from there it's a simple step (ok more than one,with civil war trow together) away

Incidentally, @Telamon, I'm not sure 'Idealist' belongs as a sub-faction of Populares. The Populares typically wanted to expand the voting franchise to non-Roman (usually soldiers who belonged to a general's army). But the description for Idealist emphasizes the Roman-ness of every citizen, which is what the Optimates insisted upon. Also: if anyone is a archetypal Idealist, it'd be Cicero, but he and his allies considered themselves Optimates, or at least were most vocally opposed to the Populares leaders.

I think 'Idealist' should constitute a separate faction entirely, just as 'Opportunist' falls outside the two main parties though on the opposite end of the spectrum. Does that seem feasible?

If we want to avert the fall of the Republic, what do we need to do?
I'm not an expert in the time period either, but if there was a single work that should be required reading for this thread, it's Cymraeg's How Marcus Tullius Cicero saved the Republic - with some help over on AlternateHistory. (You have to register to read it, but it's better than spending a few dollars to buy the ebook from Amazon).

The premise is pretty cheesy: time-travelers return to the late Roman Republic, give Cicero a bunch of history textbooks about the fall of Rome, and tell him to fix it. However, the story is fantastic in terms of showcasing major characters and events from that time period, and the difficulties of how exactly to reform Rome without getting assassinated. Definitely a model for us to consider here.

Incidentally, here's my revised plan, making sure to put us in contact with Cicero and friends:

[] Plan Cicero

Politics:
[] Populares:
-[] Idealist:

Connections:
[] The Priesthood

Education:
[] Law (Speech, Oratory, and Law ++++)

Favors:
[] Training

Free Time:
[] Exhibition
[] Recitals

Idealist to define ourselves as a reformer, Priesthood + Law to get the most out of our time with Scaevola, Training + Exhibition to improve our Military in preparation for our ten years as a tribune, Recitals to put us in contact with Cicero and his allies.

Well I got sucked into yet another Telamon Quest that will inevitably end too soon and make me sad.

Faction wise, I'm leaning Idealist or Traditionalist, since the other three don't really feel right to me. For connections and education, the obvious choices are obvious -- although there is admittedly a touch of competition to them. As for favors, only one really plays to our strengths right now, and these aren't things we should expect to shore up weaknesses with, so Training is where I think we should go.

Free time I've got no ideas, excepting that "Study Law" is pointless if we have our patron teach us Law.

Incidentally, you might want to check the charsheet again. :whistle:
I checked, but it doesn't look like you changed anything I mentioned...
Name: Quintus Cingulatus Atellus
Family: Gens Cingulata
Class: Patrician
Profession: Unemployed
Public Party: Optimates
We're still born in 103 BC and belong to the Patrician class (and Optimates party, thanks to Scaevola). Our stats have been adjusted -- our highest scores are still in Intelligence and Military, but 'Oratory' has been changed to 'Speech', and an 'Education' category was added.
Military: Accomplished (13) -- You have a good grasp of strategy and tactics, equal to that of a skilled military tribune.
Speech: Accomplished (11) -- You are skilled in the art of public speaking, and are usually able to win the average Roman over to your point of view.
Stewardship: Poor (4) -- You couldn't manage a wine stand.
Intelligence: Renowned (15) -- You are quick, thoughtful, and difficult to fool, with a strength of wit that has made you famous.
Charisma: Proficient (8) -- You can speak and hold yourself well enough to charm some in Roman society.
Education: Accomplished (10) -- You have learned from the finest tutors your father could afford, but there are still gaps in your knowledge.
Subterfuge: Average (6) -- You can lie and cheat as well as any Roman, but you have no special skill for deceit.
But now there's a new slide for 'Skills', and this one is revealing:
Combat: Proficient (8) -- You walk away from most fights.
Oratory: Proficient (9) -- Men may listen when you take the pulpit.
Command: Average (5) -- While you have an excellent grasp of the technical aspects of leadership, you have never led men in battle. (Capped at 5 until first battle)
Law: Poor (3) -- If someone takes something, they should give it back. You think.
Philosophy: Very Poor (2): You think Plato is a particularly nasty type of seafood.
Administration: Average (5): You can run a house decently -- but probably not a city.
Diplomacy: Proficient (9): You understand that sometimes, wars are won without swords.
Check out those Law and Philosophy scores. Oof, that's even worse than our Administration skill. We definitely need to boost those skills, so I'm even more confident that working with Scaevola and Cicero is the right call. I am not as confident that training guards for the Vestal Virgins is the best use of our time -- @Telamon, will our 'Command' skill be capped at '5' even if we lead the Temple guards? If not, then unless Scaevola's first assassination attempt involves some sort of battle, our skills wouldn't benefit from training the guards. 'Favor > Debt Collector' would be preferred, in that case, especially since we apparently have 'average' Administration skill.

Actually, how does that work? We have 'Poor' Stewardship -- it literally says "You couldn't manage a wine stand" -- yet 'Average' Administration -- "You can run a house decently, but probably not a city." Isn't that an obvious contradiction? A house is a lot more complicated to manage than a wine stand.

Plus, it kinda feels redundant to have a Skill that covers exactly the same material as a Stat. What is the difference between 'Stewardship' and Administration, or between 'Speech' and Oratory? I'm not sure how to interpret our character sheet....

We're still born in 103 BC and belong to the Patrician class (and Optimates party, thanks to Scaevola). Our stats have been adjusted -- our highest scores are still in Intelligence and Military, but 'Oratory' has been changed to 'Speech', and an 'Education' category was added.

Check out those Law and Philosophy scores. Oof, that's even worse than our Administration skill. We definitely need to boost those skills, so I'm even more confident that working with Scaevola and Cicero is the right call. I am not as confident that training guards for the Vestal Virgins is the best use of our time -- @Telamon, will our 'Command' skill be capped at '5' even if we lead the Temple guards? If not, then unless Scaevola's first assassination attempt involves some sort of battle, our skills wouldn't benefit from training the guards. 'Favor > Debt Collector' would be preferred, in that case, especially since we apparently have 'average' Administration skill.

Actually, how does that work? We have 'Poor' Stewardship -- it literally says "You couldn't manage a wine stand" -- yet 'Average' Administration -- "You can run a house decently, but probably not a city." Isn't that an obvious contradiction? A house is a lot more complicated to manage than a wine stand.

Plus, it kinda feels redundant to have a Skill that covers exactly the same material as a Stat. What is the difference between 'Stewardship' and Administration, or between 'Speech' and Oratory? I'm not sure how to interpret our character sheet....

I don't think we should plan on the favor action increasing any stats. They're not actions where our focus is learning, rather doing something for our patron. Besides I think combat would be the skill that matters more for training than command. Command seems to be focused on leading men in battle, so we wouldn't really use it outside of one.

Stats and Skills

Stewardship is a stat, and is the act of business, of sale and management and financial matters. It essentially governs your financial savvy and head for numbers.

Administration is specifically the art of running a city, of administrating and governing groups or large groups of people effectively. It is a skill, and you must administer something to increase it.

Speech (Note: Now Charisma) is a stat, and governs how well you speak and carry yourself.

Oratory is a skill, and is the art of speaking well to massive crowds of people, and winning them to your side — which someone with a high Charisma stat could certainly do more easily, sure. But just as how people who can speak well in person aren't great orators, so too a high Charisma stat does not mean a high Oratory skill.

Essentially, Stats are your mental capabilities and strengths, while Skills are things you do, and can only be increased by doing said thing.

For example, your military is ridiculously high, but your Command is average. Just because you have a head for tactics and have read a lot of military histories, you're not a master general until you've led men into battle — you're just a boy with a lot of potential.

For doing something, say speaking to the crowd in defense of a client, I will take your Oratory score and give it a bonus from your Charisma score for the purposes of the roll. Now, for, say, convincing a Gaulish warlord not to kill everyone in the province you're governing, that's Diplomacy + Charisma to get the bonus for the roll.

Last edited:
Stewardship is a stat, and is the act of business, of sale and management and financial matters. It essentially governs your financial savvy and head for numbers.

Administration is specifically the art of running a city, of administrating and governing groups or large groups of people effectively. It is a skill, and you must administer something to increase it.

Speech is a stat, and governs how well you speak and carry yourself. I might fold it together with Charisma to clear up any confusion.

Oratory is a skill, and is the art of speaking well to massive crowds of people, and winning them to your side — which someone with a high Speech stat could certainly do more easily, sure. But just as how people who can speak well in person aren't great orators, so too a high Speech stat does not mean a high Oratory skill.

Essentially, Stats are your mental capabilities and strengths, while Skills are things you do, and can only be increased by doing said thing.

For example, your military is ridiculously high, but your Command is average. Just because you have a head for tactics and have read a lot of military histories, you're not a master general until you've led men into battle — you're just a boy with a lot of potential.

For doing something, say acting in defense of a client, I will take your Oratory score and give it a bonus from your Speech score for the purposes of the roll. Now, for, say, convincing a Gaulish warlord not to kill everyone in the province you're governing, that's Diplomacy + Speech to get the bonus for the roll.

Yeah you probably want to fold speech and charisma into one stat. What's even the difference right now?

I just remembered: will we ever get to learn the results of last turn's vote? I'm wondering if we did negotiate our sister's marriage away (and whether we'll be able to arrange a new marriage while in Rome).

Thanks for clarifying (and updating) the stats/skills list. That does help, quite a bit.

I just remembered: will we ever get to learn the results of last turn's vote? I'm wondering if we did negotiate our sister's marriage away (and whether we'll be able to arrange a new marriage while in Rome).

Thanks for clarifying (and updating) the stats/skills list. That does help, quite a bit.

That will be lumped into the next update, as I wanted this one to focus more on Scaevola and your political decisions relating to him.

Honestly? We probably have a better chance of butterflying the Civil War than we do of convincing Sulla and Sertorius to make peace with one another. There's personal antipathy there. (Sulla apparently prevent Sertorius from becoming a tribune.) Like, Sertorius was far and away the most dogged opponent Sulla had. He was still fighting in Spain when Sulla died and kept on fighting until he died. Even if, through some miracle, we convince Sertorius that neither side is fully in the right and he should declare neutrality and stand aside, he can't, because the best he can hope for in a Rome with Sulla is the death of his career. Far more likely is the death of himself.

Fair enough I didn't know that I admit. Best of luck in any case, with however this goes.

Let see, on politics, I'm down with having whatever strong positions really. Opportunist is meh to me.

Education... It's either stewardship, which give us point in two things we lack, or law, which give point in different weak point while enforcing our strength. I'm leaning toward law.

Favors. Advocacy or Training i think. Both played to our strength. Hmm not sure which is better.

Free time. Lots of interesting option. I think Debates have better value than Exhibition. I see debates as potentially relevant to many stats. Intelligence, Education, Oratory, Philosophy, Law. We are in odd position where we have high score for some stat/skill but also low score on some others. Thus Debates is both a good chance to show of our capability and to learn. Not that Exhibition is a bad option, it is a good chance to show off our other skills. Study Law is only necessary if don't choose law for education option. Loans ... with our current skill this option feel as good investement as buying bitcoin. :V Nope. Circus don't seems to have immediate benefit or relevancy but making friends and melding with crowd in making merry is not useless activiy. Recitals is a good fit for someone with low philosophy. Attend the Senate ... I feel watching the current political situation is kind of important, and there could be things to learn from watching senators works/debates.

*thinking*

[] Plan: Shaping Silvery Spoken Soldier
Politics:

[] Populares: You believe in the freedom and equality of all Roman citizens, in the right of every Roman to his own word and voice. This, to you, overrides all other concerns. You speak to the people, telling them that you might see their dreams fulfilled.
-[] Idealist: You do not simply pay lip service to the ideas of honesty and fairness. Plebian or patrician alike, all Romans should stand equally and have their voices heard. For is every citizen not a Roman true?

Connections:
[] The Soldiery The armies of Marius, Suetonius, and Cinna are even now encamped in Rome. Officers, Tribunes, and commanders from over seven legions spend their days and nights whiling away the time while trying to keep their legionnaires at the ready should Sulla return. Brawling and looting is not an uncommon occurrence in the streets near to the camps, and the nights often gleam with fires started by a handful of soldiers who had too much to drink. Associating with these officers is dangerous -- if not to your person, then to your reputation -- but may hold many rewards. Men will fight all the harder for one who has drunk with them and traded blows with them. If your constitution is strong enough to handle it, this may be a good stepping stone to earning the love of the army -- and in Rome, he who is loved by the army is loved by the people.

Education:
[] Law: Scaevola is the lawyer. He has single-handedly reworked and rewritten many of the most antiquated and obsolete laws of the Republic, and created many of his own. His treatises on civil law and jurisprudence have become almost mythical among Roman advocates in his own lifetime, and his simplification and codification of some of the most complex laws of the Republic served to make him a household name long before he became Pontifex. His speeches stand as some of the finest works of oratory not only of your time, but of Roman history. There is no better teacher in the law, living or dead.(Speech, Oratory, and Law ++++)

Favors:

[] Training: Scaevola has hired a new batch of guards for the the College of the Vestal Virgins, in order to protect the holy priestesses from the depredations of lesser men. Of course, these guards must be thoroughly evaluated and trained to ensure that they are both not a threat to the priestesses and that they are capable of protecting the sacred sisters themselves. Scaevola has placed you in charge of training these men, and has indirectly placed the fate of Rome's holiest women in your hands.

Free Time:
[] Debates
Men of scholarly or political bent often gather in the Forum to hold debates. Those with a sharp tongue and a quick mind might even win the love of the people by soundly defeating a foe in a public contest of minds, and draw the attention of like-minded men.
[] Attend the Senate: Though only Senators may speak, Senate meetings are free for all Roman citizens to attend. In order to learn of the world which you hope to enter, and better integrate yourself with the people you hope to one day count your peers, you sit in on most every Senate meeting held after your arrival to the city.

Alternative:
[] Plan: Roman Invictus (In Progress)
Politics:
[] Optimate
Tradition. Honor. The way of the ancestors. This is what Rome was built upon. This is what has brought us four centuries of glory. Those who would see it torn down would see Rome herself torn down. The law, the Senate, the sword -- these are what built the Republic, and these are what keep it safe still.
- [] Conservative Rome was built by it's patricians, it's nobilis, by those of ancient blood and ancient word. They are at the top because they have proven themselves, time and again, to be the Republic's finest and brightest.

Connections:
[] The Priesthood: The College of Priests holds some of the most important and powerful men in the Republic. From the augurs to the high priests of the gods, each and every one of these men is vital to the continuing function of Rome and the livelihood of her people. Though they ostensibly stand apart from political squabbling, in reality, the priests are some of the most politically powerful men in Rome. As Scaevola's protege, you are allowed an unprecedented level of access to all levels of the College of Priests, and you take use of it, making friends with some of the most esteemed names in Rome.

Education:
[] Law: Scaevola is the lawyer. He has single-handedly reworked and rewritten many of the most antiquated and obsolete laws of the Republic, and created many of his own. His treatises on civil law and jurisprudence have become almost mythical among Roman advocates in his own lifetime, and his simplification and codification of some of the most complex laws of the Republic served to make him a household name long before he became Pontifex. His speeches stand as some of the finest works of oratory not only of your time, but of Roman history. There is no better teacher in the law, living or dead.(Speech, Oratory, and Law ++++)

Favors:

[] Training: Scaevola has hired a new batch of guards for the the College of the Vestal Virgins, in order to protect the holy priestesses from the depredations of lesser men. Of course, these guards must be thoroughly evaluated and trained to ensure that they are both not a threat to the priestesses and that they are capable of protecting the sacred sisters themselves. Scaevola has placed you in charge of training these men, and has indirectly placed the fate of Rome's holiest women in your hands.

Free Time:
[] Debates
Men of scholarly or political bent often gather in the Forum to hold debates. Those with a sharp tongue and a quick mind might even win the love of the people by soundly defeating a foe in a public contest of minds, and draw the attention of like-minded men.
[] Attend the Senate: Though only Senators may speak, Senate meetings are free for all Roman citizens to attend. In order to learn of the world which you hope to enter, and better integrate yourself with the people you hope to one day count your peers, you sit in on most every Senate meeting held after your arrival to the city.

Debates and Attending Senate is IMO the best use of our free time. It let us show off our brainiac skills, build those braniac skills, and keep watch of current politics.

Training Favor seems like a more useful options in regard of keeping/improving military skill than Exhibition. The later is just showing off weapon skill, but a commander also needs skill in managing and training soldiers, which this option gave us chance to practice at. In its favor, Exhibition may win us more fame, but Training Favor would gave us more prestige. While Advocacy is useful in many ways, with Debates in, we already have an avenue of showing our scholarly abilities. Thus I choose Training Favor as an avenue to use/improve our martial scores.

Education is law of course. What else the point of choosing Scaevola for Patron?

At first I'm want to combine Priesthood Connection with Populares-Idealist ... then I'm wondering why the later would focus on building connections with stuffy priest first and foremost. Sure powerful connection is useful, but if one had true belief in the equality of Roman citizens should he be not either focus on bulding connections with the more general citizens or at least strive to maintain connections across as many parts of Roman communities as possible? Thus I switch to Soldiery. As a bonus it is kind of consistency with my plan for the first vote. My goal of choosing War & Speech in the first vote was to aim for a 'beloved general' archetype (plus wise/learned). And so, here's the continuation of that.

Nevertheless I made an alternate plan format for Priesthood + Optimate. I think it good plan as well, but I like the other one better.

Last edited:
Pretty quest you got here. I want to drop a comment to get notified of its progress. No idea so far though I'll let smarter people deal with that.

Favors. Advocacy or Training i think. Both played to our strength. Hmm not sure which is better.

With how low our Law score is I'm pretty sure we are actually really poorly suited for Advocacy actually.

Also,

[x] Plan: Shaping Silvery Spoken Soldier
Politics:

[x] Populares: You believe in the freedom and equality of all Roman citizens, in the right of every Roman to his own word and voice. This, to you, overrides all other concerns. You speak to the people, telling them that you might see their dreams fulfilled.
-[x] Idealist: You do not simply pay lip service to the ideas of honesty and fairness. Plebian or patrician alike, all Romans should stand equally and have their voices heard. For is every citizen not a Roman true?

Connections:
[x] The Soldiery The armies of Marius, Suetonius, and Cinna are even now encamped in Rome. Officers, Tribunes, and commanders from over seven legions spend their days and nights whiling away the time while trying to keep their legionnaires at the ready should Sulla return. Brawling and looting is not an uncommon occurrence in the streets near to the camps, and the nights often gleam with fires started by a handful of soldiers who had too much to drink. Associating with these officers is dangerous -- if not to your person, then to your reputation -- but may hold many rewards. Men will fight all the harder for one who has drunk with them and traded blows with them. If your constitution is strong enough to handle it, this may be a good stepping stone to earning the love of the army -- and in Rome, he who is loved by the army is loved by the people.

Education:
[x] Law: Scaevola is the lawyer. He has single-handedly reworked and rewritten many of the most antiquated and obsolete laws of the Republic, and created many of his own. His treatises on civil law and jurisprudence have become almost mythical among Roman advocates in his own lifetime, and his simplification and codification of some of the most complex laws of the Republic served to make him a household name long before he became Pontifex. His speeches stand as some of the finest works of oratory not only of your time, but of Roman history. There is no better teacher in the law, living or dead.(Speech, Oratory, and Law ++++)

Favors:

[x] Training: Scaevola has hired a new batch of guards for the the College of the Vestal Virgins, in order to protect the holy priestesses from the depredations of lesser men. Of course, these guards must be thoroughly evaluated and trained to ensure that they are both not a threat to the priestesses and that they are capable of protecting the sacred sisters themselves. Scaevola has placed you in charge of training these men, and has indirectly placed the fate of Rome's holiest women in your hands.

Free Time:
[x] Debates
[x] Attend the Senate: Though only Senators may speak, Senate meetings are free for all Roman citizens to attend. In order to learn of the world which you hope to enter, and better integrate yourself with the people you hope to one day count your peers, you sit in on most every Senate meeting held after your arrival to the city.

I can't tell if those are actually x's in there, but there's still a moratorium on votes.

With how low our Law score is I'm pretty sure we are actually really poorly suited for Advocacy actually.

Also,

I can't tell if those are actually x's in there, but there's still a moratorium on votes.
Gah, the poster above have already put an X (and I forget the time since update) so I thought the moratorium has ended. Should have checked the hours more carefully. Removing them now.

EDITED: X removed. Will repost later
Eh, telamon mention above that Advocacy is Speech (now Charisma) + Oratory tho :V

Last edited:

Why don't we need to know Law for that?
Gah, the poster above have already put an X (and I forget the time since update) so I thought the moratorium has ended. Should have checked the hours more carefully. Removing them now.

EDITED: X removed. Will repost later

Eh, telamon mention above that Advocacy is Speech (now Charisma) + Oratory tho :V

Yes, while Law would end up being a third modifier in the case of an advocacy, speaking to a crowd is perhaps the most important part of a case in the Roman judicial system. Cases were won and lost on the strength of an advocates' rhetoric. While an understanding of the law itself was important, equally important was the ability to concisely and convincingly portray your client's case to watching citizens. A lawyer with a whole lot of knowledge of the Law and no skill in Oratory is a poor lawyer, after all.

But yes, as stated above, I'd probably add a decent-sized Law modifier to any Advocacy action.

I'll go from the easy choices to the more difficult ones:

Article:
Favors:

This is what plays to our strengths and skills and the previous chapters' vote winners; furthermore it's an option with potential great synergy with other choices (Exhibition and Priesthood).

In a more in-character view, the Vestals had a strong influence of Roman politics. Being involved with them is not only an opportunity full of potential possibilities, but also a very great honour. It would almost be an insult to the gods to turn this down.

I don't like Advocacy, the risk of calling public attention too soon before we understand the political stakes. Pecunia non olet and all that, but our poor stewardship does not make it likely we'll be the next Crassus; not that I wouldn't mind any opportunity to get by money in the future.

Article:
The Priesthood [] The College of Priests holds some of the most important and powerful men in the Republic. From the augurs to the high priests of the gods, each and every one of these men is vital to the continuing function of Rome and the livelihood of her people. Though they ostensibly stand apart from political squabbling, in reality, the priests are some of the most politically powerful men in Rome. As Scaevola's protege, you are allowed an unprecedented level of access to all levels of the College of Priests, and you take use of it, making friends with some of the most esteemed names in Rome.

With Scaevola being pontifex maximus, it's kind of a no-brainer, even more so combined with the opportunity to get involved with the Vestals.

Article:
Law [] Scaevola is the lawyer. He has single-handedly reworked and rewritten many of the most antiquated and obsolete laws of the Republic, and created many of his own. His treatises on civil law and jurisprudence have become almost mythical among Roman advocates in his own lifetime, and his simplification and codification of some of the most complex laws of the Republic served to make him a household name long before he became Pontifex. His speeches stand as some of the finest works of oratory not only of your time, but of Roman history. There is no better teacher in the law, living or dead.

With Scaevola being a legal legend, another no-brainer.

Article:
Exhibition [] Young men of a martial bent often spend time practising the sword in the Forum with the soldiers. Not only is this a good way to improve your skills, you can show off your prowess in battle to the Roman citizenry, and even win acclaim.

This makes training the vestal guards easier and better, giving an opportunity to hang with them more informally, as well as with other strangers involved in soldiery.

The second free time option is not as easy to choose.

The easiest to discard is the circuses, the Field of Mars gives us the same kind of opening but of better quality. Also Loans, it would have been a good combination with debt collection, but is discarded for the same reasons.

Recitals, debates, and law studies are all right for the Ciceran path, but they feel a bit too much of a streber choice for my tastes. Also neither law nor philosophy are our strong suits to put it mildly:

Article:
Law: Poor (3) -- If someone takes something, they should give it back. You think.
Philosophy: Very Poor (2): You think Plato is a particularly nasty type of seafood.

So I would rather chill around the senate:

Article:

Besides being more relaxing, there is still a good chance of making an impression with wits and orations.

Again there is another synergy opportunity with another choice, being seen socialising a lot around both the Curia Julia and the Field of Mars might make us an interesting person.

All that was not that difficult; what is hard for me to choose from is the political factions. I think there are good possible arguments for all options. The only thing that is right out is Opportunist. That doesn't feel in character.

In the end, I choose conservative optimate, because then it becomes very similar to both @Caesar's "A man for all season" and @Salbazier's "Roman Invictus" plans with a minimal difference of just one free time option:

Either moderate position.

[] Patricians
[] Law
[] Training
[] Debates
[] Exhibition
Only difference is "senate" instead of "debate".
Politics:
[] Optimate
Tradition. Honor. The way of the ancestors. This is what Rome was built upon. This is what has brought us four centuries of glory. Those who would see it torn down would see Rome herself torn down. The law, the Senate, the sword -- these are what built the Republic, and these are what keep it safe still.
- [] Conservative Rome was built by it's patricians, it's nobilis, by those of ancient blood and ancient word. They are at the top because they have proven themselves, time and again, to be the Republic's finest and brightest.

Connections:
[] The Priesthood: The College of Priests holds some of the most important and powerful men in the Republic. From the augurs to the high priests of the gods, each and every one of these men is vital to the continuing function of Rome and the livelihood of her people. Though they ostensibly stand apart from political squabbling, in reality, the priests are some of the most politically powerful men in Rome. As Scaevola's protege, you are allowed an unprecedented level of access to all levels of the College of Priests, and you take use of it, making friends with some of the most esteemed names in Rome.

Education:

Favors:

Free Time:
[] Debates
Here it's "exhibition" instead of "debate".

So in the end, "A Roman Invictus For All Seasons"?

I like this idea of a man being ready to defend the gods of Rome with both wits and sword. And perhaps they will richly reward him for saving the republic, with gold and purple...

Politics:
[] Optimate

Connections:

Education:
Law []
Scaevola is the lawyer. He has single-handedly reworked and rewritten many of the most antiquated and obsolete laws of the Republic, and created many of his own. His treatises on civil law and jurisprudence have become almost mythical among Roman advocates in his own lifetime, and his simplification and codification of some of the most complex laws of the Republic served to make him a household name long before he became Pontifex. His speeches stand as some of the finest works of oratory not only of your time, but of Roman history. There is no better teacher in the law, living or dead.

Favors:

Free Time:
Exhibition []
Young men of a martial bent often spend time practicing the sword in the Forum with the soldiers. Not only is this a good way to improve your skills, you can show off your prowess in battle to the Roman citizenry, and even win acclaim.

Recitals, debates, and law studies are all right for the Ciceran path, but they feel a bit too much of a streber choice for my tastes. Also neither law nor philosophy are our strong suits to put it mildly:
What's a streber? Also, low philosophy and law is a reason for why this options are worthwhile consideration, not reason to avoid them. Putting some practice to it.
Besides being more relaxing, there is still a good chance of making an impression with wits and orations.
Note that we can't orate on senate meetings. That's for Senators only.

[] Optimate
-[] Traditionalist: The republican traditions of Rome are the finest in the world, built upon the backs of the Greeks and the Etruscans. They have stood for centuries, and they cannot --should not-- be changed. Such is the way of the ancestors. Such is the law of rock and stone and sea. Such is the will of the Gods.

Back