Rebel Moon

i mean, people still have to eat in space. like, there's a real tendency for sff fiction to go so wide and wild with stakes and motivations as to hinder the audience's comprehension of those stakes and motivations - if the Dark Lady Malicia is trying to obtain The Crystal Polyhedron Of Destiny, the only immediate way for the audience to know that will lead to Bad Stuff is that Dark Ladies rarely have altruistic aims or intentions.
whereas an army showing up and demanding they be given all of a village's crops, women, and children makes it pretty clear what's going down.
THey could at least up the scale a bit to a full on agricultural world or something.

This is like the third take on 'seven samurai in space' I can think of off the top of my head, and I would deeply appreciate it if one of them would try a different plot device that 'farming village'.

THey could at least up the scale a bit to a full on agricultural world or something.

This is like the third take on 'seven samurai in space' I can think of off the top of my head, and I would deeply appreciate it if one of them would try a different plot device that 'farming village'.
An adaptation where the seven 'Samurai' are representatives of seven different pirate fleets that the Agriworld convinces to band together in resistance to the corrupt interstellar government would be baller. Have an entire planet be the 'village' and the climactic battle can be a massive multi-fleet space fuckery to put the Battle of Coruscant to shame.

are you aware that planets are very large?
like, extremely large.
large to a degree where the human brain can't easily comprehend how big they are so it starts spitting out nonsense.
for an example, consider star wars' coruscant - an entire planet of highrise urban development, which has a population of roughly one trillion people. that's an incomprehensibly large number of people, and it's also not nearly large enough for coruscant as depicted.
which is the problem, right, because once you start flinging around statements like "this entire planet primarily produces (thing)" and "(bad dudes) are invading this planet" you enter the realm of extremely silly shit, like that episode of star trek where the villain confidently declared that 2000 soldiers would be able to seize and hold the entire planet vulcan.
and like, that's fine if you're doing the star wars thing where "planets" are basically equivalent to, at most, small countries, but it tends to get really fucking silly as soon as you start giving numbers because planets are so very, very large.

If they're spending an entire damn movie just setting things up and gathering the crew they can do a more interesting setting than 'yet another village of farmers'.

If they're spending an entire damn movie just setting things up and gathering the crew they can do a more interesting setting than 'yet another village of farmers'.
rise of skywalker managed to make settings like "the half-submerged wreckage of a planet-killing battlestation" and "a world at the end of the galaxy, home to a madman who seeks to become a god" boring, so it's possible that rebel moon will make "yet another village of farmers" interesting.
like, i just don't agree with the idea that adding More Cool Shit and Making Things Bigger are inherently good approaches to storytelling.

rise of skywalker managed to make settings like "the half-submerged wreckage of a planet-killing battlestation" and "a world at the end of the galaxy, home to a madman who seeks to become a god" boring, so it's possible that rebel moon will make "yet another village of farmers" interesting.
like, i just don't agree with the idea that adding More Cool Shit and Making Things Bigger are inherently good approaches to storytelling.
At least one of those is likely to put you at odds with Snyder, unfortunately.

I mean it's also possible that a random cosmic event could cause a shift in the Earth's orbit and make the sun rise in the west. But at this point I don't think it's likely.

It's out, I'm watching it right now.

And pretty boring to be honest.

Bad guys designs are very generic, just bland mix of generic sci-fi/Star Wars/40k (might be just my opinion ofc). Admiral Noble looks like 40k commissar cosplayer.

Bad guys are also bigger idiots then 40k Imperium and Star Wars Galactic Empire combined. As in conquer the world for resources and then glass it.

Also plot will be familiar to anyone who watched Star Wars, Battle beyond the Stars or any other 7 Samurai/Star Wars knock-off.

And it uses excessive amounts of slow-mo during fights.

And finally Snyder we didn't need that tentacle sex scene.

You know I'm still baffled by the decision to go with the plot being over a goddamn crop harvest. Like... come on, I know not every sci-fi space opera needs galaxy defining stakes, this still just feels a bit.... milquestoast for the intensity the film seems to want to convey.
That's Snyder imitating his influences too closely again. The threat in The Seven Samurai is that bandits raid the village every year to steal their harvest, along with any valuables or attractive women they can find, and leave them nothing to live on. It's a story of people whose plight is considered insignificant to those in power hiring warriors who have also been discarded by the system and fallen from the top of the social heirarchy (ronin) to fight for them.

My mom saw this on her Netflix feed.

The aliens look alright? The design is varied, so credit to Rebel Moon on that I guess.

On the other hand, it made my mom fall asleep. And there's a whole bunch of other problems with it that I can't divulge into without taking a few hours to form a coherent response.

Also, are all the Imperials Imperium just straight up transplanted from WH40K?

Everyone ready for Part 2?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf16jEmvJUY

EDIT: News item.
www.hollywoodreporter.com

Zack Snyder’s ‘Rebel Moon’ Delivers Solid Debut for Netflix

"A Child of Fire," the first half of the director's two-parter, garnered almost 24 million views in its first three days.
Netflix announced Tuesday that the science fiction fantasy was the most viewed title on the streaming giant following its debut the night of Dec. 21, generating 23.9 million views in three (plus a few hours) days.

The numbers are a solid kickoff for the movie, which doesn't have big A-listers and is flying on the strength of the filmmaking brand of Snyder.

... For comparison's sake, the next most viewed title was the sci-fi-tinged Leave the World Behind, the drama starring Julia Roberts, Ethan Hawke, and Mahershala Ali and produced by the Obamas, which clocked in 19.7 million views in seven days of viewing.

The threshold to hit Netflix's top 10, which counts views racked up in the first 91 days, is at the 135 million marks. The number 10 spot is held by Extraction 2, the Chris Hemsworth action movie, with 134.9 million views. Going up the list to the top, past movies such as The Mother (136.4M) and The Adam Project (157.6M) and Don't Look Up (171.4M), is Red Notice, which has 230.9M views ... [and] starred Ryan Reynolds, Dwayne Johnson, and Gal Gadot.

Last edited:
Having seen the movie I have to conclude that this came into existence because Henry Cavil ranted into Zack's ear about 40k (the army is called the Militarum mechanicum and their leader is named Belisarius? Really Zack?) between takes while on the set of Justice League. Its obvious rips from star wars and 40k made it feel very weird in parts like it didn't have an identity of its own. The best bits were the visual aesthetic in some of the scenes that was a sort of mix between feudal Japan and Ancient Rome thrown into space.

Visually the movie was a bit all over the place, the CGI fluctuated between honestly pretty good and complete dogshit, there were shots during the griffon flight scene where it looked like something from the 60s Batman tv show where its obvious an actor on a prop with the sky projected behind him.

Politically the film is just as strange and incoherent as Snyder himself. He's clearly smart enough to recognize that something like the Empire or the Imperium of man sucks and is evil (I am fairly sure he based the looks on the main villain off Richard Spencer complete with a moment where he gets his teeth knocked out) but his love of Great Man figures means he has to lean into the idea of a benevolent absolute monarch being the one to fix things. Zack is the type of guy who's heart seems to be generally in the right place but is a bit fuzzy on the details, so you will get a shirtless Native American stand in tame a griffon by ancient tribal reverence and then sick the griffon on the evil animal trader for animal cruelty. Its a good message but its still using tropes and imagery that would be weirdly out of date in the 1970s.

Last edited:
Rebel Fetchquest was bad. 2 hours was way too long. Me and my dad nearly got out of our seats when the main girl shouts to a bar where the space fascist bounty hunters left seconds earlier that she's there for the rebel leader (and oops one of them was still there). Just thought of this but that bounty hunter was literally in the presence of the entire resistance? And was presumably communicating with the space fascists to set up the ambush later? And they were moseying along for a while to fetch other people? And the fascists got there after them despite getting the information early?

None of the rebels actually affect the plot in any way. Just stand in the background after getting fetched until the last battle. Complete waste of characters.

Movie did nothing but tell the backstory.

Wish we were getting better space opera.

Snyder is a coward for not including the spider alien in the main cast and that's all I have to say on the matter.

Zack is the type of guy who's heart seems to be generally in the right place but is a bit fuzzy on the details, so you will get a shirtless Native American stand in tame a griffon by ancient tribal reverence and then sick the griffon on the evil animal trader for animal cruelty. Its a good message but its still using tropes and imagery that would be weirdly out of date in the 1970s.

Agreed. I don't think Zack Snyder is actually a bad guy or anything. I'm not a fan of his work, but that's not to say it's bad. I just think Snyders never been a guy who had much of a grasp of subtext or nuance in a story. And even when he does, he doesn't let it get in the way of cool scene composition. He's very much a director where what you see is what you get most of the time.

Last edited:
I thought the movie was fun, I've always loved Zack's eye for science fiction (the Krypton opening of Man of Steel is gorgeous) and it didn't disappoint this time around either. Gorgeous aesthetic, love the world he's created. That said I can really feel where the edits are from the Director's Cut version he made simultaneously and I want to see more of everything (especially Jimmy!), so I think I'll enjoy that version much more - the second half of Part 1 is much more uneven than the first. But I don't regret watching the 'Netflix' cut.

Didn't Dark Matter already do "Seven Samurai in Space"?
Eh... *hand-waving motion to indicate "kinda"*. The first episode has the premise that they're going to help some tiny settlement that's about to get wiped out by a megacorp, IIRC. (Actually, they're the mercenaries that were supposed to wipe them out, but they don't know this because they have amnesia, so they assume that they were there to help.) So that's kind of like Seven Samurai. But there isn't really a "gathering a team" aspect, because they all start out already together.

Didn't Dark Matter already do "Seven Samurai in Space"?
Star Wars did Seven Samurai in space in a Clone Wars arc.

ROGER CORMAN did Seven Samurai in space.

There was even an attempt to do GUNDAM but Seven Samurai in Space!!!!

I am sick of people acting like they're creative genius because they've thought of Seven Samurai in space!

Back