Planes and Mercs: Steel Skies (Still Accepting Players)

Nathaniel "Beaver" Jackson (Shinaobi)
Name: Nathaniel Jackson
Callsign: Beaver
Nationality: American
Motivation for joining Blackthorne Group: Money and flight time
Picture
Bio: Nathaniel's origins are humble but largely unremarkable; he grew up in the Midwest to a mother and father who raised him properly and put food on the table, but for all intents and purposes it was on him to make a better life for himself. He thought his plan to go through college, get a degree aeronautical engineering and then a pilot's license was a great one, but midway through his second year of serving coffee he realized things hadn't gone as planned, and so he signed on with the first mercenary group that would sponsor his license.
Pilot Skill: 1
--Spotting: 1
--Maneuver: 1
--Gunnery: 1
Pilot Advantages/Flaws: N/A

Name: Suzuki Ryouko
Callsign: Street
Nationality: Japanese
Motivation for joining Blackthorne: career advancement
Picture
Bio: Suzuki's life is difficult to remark upon, in large part because she is extraordinarily unforthcoming about the details of her personal life; a private investigator of middling determination and ability could quite easily find her parents and older brother, and they would tell of a dutiful--if standoffish--daughter/sister if asked (and might ask that investigator to pass on their well-wishes, and a request that she call sometime), and that same investigator could also find that she was a successful--but not quite outstanding--student.
It's difficult to tell exactly why she seems so determined to break away from her past, but her competence is unimpeachable, and she's making good progress in bringing Nathaniel to heel.
--Spotting: 2
--Maneuvering: 0

GMC Wallet: 0
Aircraft:
F-14A Tomcat
----x8 AIM-9D Sidewinder
----X5 AIM-54A Phoenix

Last edited:
Name: Nathaniel Jackson
Callsign: Beaver
Nationality: American
Motivation for joining Blackthorne Group: Money and flight time
Picture
Bio: Nathaniel's origins are humble but largely unremarkable; he grew up in the Midwest to a mother and father who raised him properly and put food on the table, but for all intents and purposes it was on him to make a better life for himself. He thought his plan to go through college, get a degree aeronautical engineering and then a pilot's license was a great one, but midway through his second year of serving coffee he realized things hadn't gone as planned, and so he signed on with the first mercenary group that would sponsor his license.
--Spotting: 1
--Maneuver: 1
Pilot Advantages/Flaws: N/A
GMC Wallet: 12
Aircraft:
F-14A Tomcat
----x10 AIM-9J Sidewinder
----x10 AIM-54A Phoenix
Accepted. Jump into the IC.

There'll be bits added later when time comes to Actually Arm Up to reflect what the plane's actually carrying, but in the meantime I imagine it's easier accounting to just bunch everything up.

As a note to the players in the IC currently: if you don't say anything, then neither officer will speak to you until everyone signs the contract. They should respond to most anything you do say.

Yes, Aurélie is straight out of central casting. Actually I see her being played by the immortal Francoise Pascal.

@Theravis Having looked over your current pricing rules and realized that I had badly misread them, is it intended behavior that a full loadout for the forty year old F14A Tomcat cost almost exactly as much as another F14A Tomcat?

An F/A 18 Super Hornet's unit cost is 57.3 million dollars a plane. An AIM-9X missile costs 420,944 a pop; you would need to purchase 14 missiles before you'd have successfully spent an equivalent amount of money (and a bit over, because as you might guess 420,944 does not divide evenly into 57.3 million).

I asked because as you've established them missiles are in a real sense much more expensive than they actually are, and you've picked a simulationist system; I'd assume you'd want to use a more realistic net exchange rate, rather than one that is less so.

An F/A 18 Super Hornet's unit cost is 57.3 million dollars a plane. An AIM-9X missile costs 420,944 a pop; you would need to purchase 14 missiles before you'd have successfully spent an equivalent amount of money (and a bit over, because as you might guess 420,944 does not divide evenly into 57.3 million).

I asked because as you've established them missiles are in a real sense much more expensive than they actually are, and you've picked a simulationist system; I'd assume you'd want to use a more realistic net exchange rate, rather than one that is less so.
Fair enough. I suppose that means everyone can get a small refund.

Missiles to 1/15th, Bombs to 1/20th, gunpods remain at 1/20th.

Firstly: How is Lt. Yamashita suddenly a memetic sex goddess? He literally has just stood there and said two very professional things.

Secondly.....
The word English was said twice. He was probably asking if they spoke English.

Alex slowly shook his head at Johnathan. Nope.
What language HAVE we been speaking?

Truthfully, Shurelia doesnt talk much outloud. Mentally; however, well.....let's just say it's a good thing it's only in her mind.

Remember how I said she feels free in the sky? It freed her "inhibitions" too. So she's VERY openminded.

@Rindel glad you approve. I wish I could say I was actually fluent, but.... :oops:
Can't read or write it, so that was all Google.

...Shit, I'll bite. What does "Aki Nasubi wa Yomni ni Tabesasenai" mean? I can see season and eggplant, and I think tabesasenai is a conjugation of something about eating?

Back