Other Duties As Required (MLP)

Luna grinned and then pulled me down next to her on the now grass covered ground, "Be a good colt and I might even demonstrate later.
This thankfully indicates that the art piece requested by Celestia was not one of those hentai-logic commissions, as otherwise it logically would not be demonstratable... although I suppose I'm not really taking magic into account, much less the dream-world? living_gasm_drive is still well beyond Page's abilities, or any alicorn's i expect, barring an uninterrupted month of pure R&D by Cadence's and Sunset's combined efforts.

Last edited:
Wow he really latched on to the sets themselves on fire things for the Kirin. I don't know maybe he shouldn't jump to conclusions on how bad that will be until he actually talks to and interacts with them himself? It is kinda funny that he's doing the exact same thing ponies do to bat ponies though and just assuming the worst, I mean Midnight did tell him that the Kirin also lived in wooden homes too.

"I burned that, sister," Luna told her firmly, "And how do you remember, that was thousands of years ago!"

Celestia smirked, "Because I... may have discretely commissioned the artist for it. Well worth it for your reaction when it was presented."
@Hiver
Did Celestia just commission that one that Luna got,:evil: :ogles: or did she commission two?

Last edited:
Wow he really latched on to the sets themselves on fire things for the Kirin. I don't know maybe he shouldn't jump to conclusions on how bad that will be until he actually talks to and interacts with them himself? It is kinda funny that he's doing the exact same thing ponies do to bat ponies though and just assuming the worst, I mean Midnight did tell him that the Kirin also lived in wooden homes too.
I mean, he does live in a town that is mostly up in the trees and is in the middle of the jungle. A fire is kinda a big deal. Especially one that can't be easily put out.

I mean, he does live in a town that is mostly up in the trees and is in the middle of the jungle. A fire is kinda a big deal. Especially one that can't be easily put out.
Far less of one when you consider those trees grow in a place that gets enough rainfall to never be called 'dry'land. I doubt anyone there has even considered makiya fire department.

Far less of one when you consider those trees grow in a place that gets enough rainfall to never be called 'dry'land. I doubt anyone there has even considered makiya fire department.
During the rainy season, its less likely to be a city destroying problem, sure. But during the dry season, where the amount of rain is significantly less? And especially when the source of the fire cant be easily put out, that is going to cause problems. And thats ignoring whatever injuries happen.

During the rainy season, its less likely to be a city destroying problem, sure. But during the dry season, where the amount of rain is significantly less? And especially when the source of the fire cant be easily put out, that is going to cause problems. And thats ignoring whatever injuries happen.
Immediately jumping to and calling it a city destroying problem is exactly what I'm talking about when I'm saying maybe don't just assume the worst case scenario is likely. Heck this is even ignoring that Midnight said in chapter that she helped them with the problem, just feels like Page and others are blowing things out of proportion.

Immediately jumping to and calling it a city destroying problem is exactly what I'm talking about when I'm saying maybe don't just assume the worst case scenario is likely. Heck this is even ignoring that Midnight said in chapter that she helped them with the problem, just feels like Page and others are blowing things out of proportion.

Page would be a poor prince if he didn't at least consider the possibility of the worst-case scenario. Especially given his specific history with Midnight failing to take reasonable risks into account.

Besides, maybe it's not a city-destroying problem, but it is a widespread logistical problem that it's now on Page to at least supervise. Which was the whole problem in the first place, that he's already got too much on his plate and now there's this.

Yeah, I don't think Page considers it a serious "this is definitely going to happen" thing, but as a "I have to take precautions assuming it is definitely going to happen because if I don't I am being negligent in my role as a leader". For much the same reason that plenty of extremely unlikely things in the real world have preparations made to mitigate them.

He said it still rains daily in the 'dry' season.

I diddnt say it didnt. But when it only rains for an hour or so a day, it is a bad idea to rely on rain for your fire prevention.
that still means that all the wood will be waterlogged and harder to set on fire

and failing that there seem to be plenty of pegasi in nocturnis with a "small" weather team that could easily double as fire brigade

maybe even make a voluntary fire brigade for anyone wanting to join? that way he doesnt have to pay beyond some instructors for the volunteers and some equipment for those that cant control clouds or cast water spells

that still means that all the wood will be waterlogged and harder to set on fire

and failing that there seem to be plenty of pegasi in nocturnis with a "small" weather team that could easily double as fire brigade

maybe even make a voluntary fire brigade for anyone wanting to join? that way he doesnt have to pay beyond some instructors for the volunteers and some equipment for those that cant control clouds or cast water spells
And thats likely all tbat is necessary. But the post i was responding to was suggesting that "if a fire happens, the rain will put it out because it rains a lot".

And thats likely all tbat is necessary. But the post i was responding to was suggesting that "if a fire happens, the rain will put it out because it rains a lot".
no the post just mentioned that its raining daily

which can equally mean that all the rain will drench everything enough that a fire wont easily start as it means the rain will help put out any fires that do get started

and honestly for anything that is not indoors that *IS* enough to prevent any larger fires

no the post just mentioned that its raining daily
This is what I was responding to:
It says right there that they probably don't even have any kind of fire fighting organization because it rains so much. To which I pointed out that it only rains that much during part of the year and that relying on rain to put out your fires wasn't as effective during the parts of the year where it doesn't rain as much.

This is what I was responding to:

It says right there that they probably don't even have any kind of fire fighting organization because it rains so much. To which I pointed out that it only rains that much during part of the year and that relying on rain to put out your fires wasn't as effective during the parts of the year where it doesn't rain as much.
i am aware

but just like i said its just one part of that statement is about the rain putting out fires
a just as big part is about the daily rain making sure everything is so wet that it wont catch fire in the first place

and it doesnt have to rain 23h a day, like during the rain season, to make everything wet and unable to burn, the shorter but still strong bursts of rain they get during the "dry" season are more than enough for that purpose

i am aware

but just like i said its just one part of that statement is about the rain putting out fires
a just as big part is about the daily rain making sure everything is so wet that it wont catch fire in the first place

and it doesnt have to rain 23h a day, like during the rain season, to make everything wet and unable to burn, the shorter but still strong bursts of rain they get during the "dry" season are more than enough for that purpose
There are exactly two parts to the statement. 1. The constant rain will put out any fires. 2. They likely don't have any kind of organized fire fighting service because the rain will put out any fires.
Both of which run into problems during the dry season where it only rains about an hour per day (which is likely more "it rains for 2-5 minutes at a time several times per day" rather than "it rains for one hour strait then stops"). A day or so is a long time to wait for the rain to start to put out any fire that gets going. Even more so when that fire has a source that is potentially very hard to put out. The fire doesn't have to spread far for it to be significant problem that Page will want to have something more readily available than "wait for the rain to come around".

Last edited:
There are exactly two parts to the statement. 1. The constant rain will put out any fires. 2. They likely don't have any kind of organized fire fighting service because the rain will put out any fires.
not true, read that quote again

the two parts of the original post are 1 there is a lot of rain to the point its not called 'dry'land and 2 two that because of 1 they didnt care to create a fire fighting force

and while statement one implies that the rain puts out fires, like you correnctly identified, it also implies that the rain makes everything so wet so it wont catch fire in the first place, which is what i pointed out to you

A sufficiently hot fire can still cause wet wood to burn, though. It just needs to be hot enough to overcome the wetness. Page does have to consider the possibility that it is that hot, at least until he gets information to the contrary.

A sufficiently hot fire can still cause wet wood to burn, though. It just needs to be hot enough to overcome the wetness. Page does have to consider the possibility that it is that hot, at least until he gets information to the contrary.
even if a sufficiently hot fire can start a fire with wet wood it still wont burn very well unless there is a constant reinforcement/feeding of that flame

and that sustained output is likely outside the means of most if not all kirin, just like it is outside of any normal pony, so unless you think that any rando kirin will have enough power to rival twilight or maybe tempest the number of kirin that could reach that temperature on purpose, nevermind on accident, is likely in the single digits with all of them likely having undergone rigorous training to prevent that exact problem

in the end the fear about nocturnis burning down is an irrational fear for page to panic over now and not a real concern outside of some really specific situations

and that sustained output is likely outside the means of most if not all kirin, just like it is outside of any normal pony, so unless you think that any rando kirin will have enough power to rival twilight or maybe tempest the number of kirin that could reach that temperature on purpose, nevermind on accident, is likely in the single digits with all of them likely having undergone rigorous training to prevent that exact problem

These are reasonable assumptions, but they are still, at the end of the day, assumptions.

Page isn't freaking out over nothing the way you're implying, he's understandably leaping to the worst possibilities because he's stressed out and doesn't know how Kirin fire actually works. For all he knows, it's more like a grease fire and will burn even through large amounts of water, or it's magical and burns hotter or spreads faster when it gets wet. At this point, the only person in Page's circle who knows anything about Kirin fire is Midnight, and she has vividly demonstrated in the past that her idea of risk doesn't always line up with reality, so the fact that she thinks it's a non-issue doesn't guarantee that it is.

That being the case, you assuming Kirin fire is functionally not an issue and dismissing the risk of it being an issue at all is pretty much the exact same mistake Page is making, but inverted. Page is certain it's a disaster in the making, you're certain that it's an irrational fear and not a problem at all, and notably neither of you have enough information to actually make that judgement yet. The only thing we as the audience know for sure is that we don't know enough about Kirin fire to assess the risks.

Personally, my guess is somewhere in the middle: a logistical issue that needs addressing but not a city-destroying calamity. But I freely acknowledge that this is a guess, whereas I fear you've gone and made assumptions that you've mistaken for concrete fact.

That being the case, you assuming Kirin fire is functionally not an issue and dismissing the risk of it being an issue at all is pretty much the exact same mistake Page is making, but inverted. Page is certain it's a disaster in the making, you're certain that it's an irrational fear and not a problem at all, and notably neither of you have enough information to actually make that judgement yet. The only thing we as the audience know for sure is that we don't know enough about Kirin fire to assess the risks.
we do know from the chapter that the kirin live in wooden houses that dont spontaneously combust all the time, despite being in more arid conditions and that the kirin leader saw no risk in moving to nocturnis, since he was the one who suggested the move in the first place after hearing about it

and if there is anyone that should know how dangerous/risky kirin are to their environment its the leader of the them

and that the kirin leader saw no risk in moving to nocturnis, since he was the one who suggested the move in the first place after hearing about it

No, we don't know that the kirin leader sees no risk, the entire point is that they(?) are coming to Nocturnis to find out if it'd be a good place to live for the Kirin. There is no guarantee of safety here yet.

No, we don't know that the kirin leader sees no risk, the entire point is that they(?) are coming to Nocturnis to find out if it'd be a good place to live for the Kirin. There is no guarantee of safety here yet.
they are coming to nocturnis to find out if the (bat-)culture and the local climate is alright with them, because they fear the xenophobia and ostracization that regular ponies might show towards them and not because they have safety concerns about living in wooden houses (since they already do that wherever they currently live)

Back