Other Duties As Required (MLP)
Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

Page needs a vacation.

He's not getting a vacation.

What he does get, it... how do they put it? Brand new exciting opportunities.
He never wanted to be a Prince, nor to rule. But he's stuck with the job, which means having ponies relying on him.
So he's doing his best.
Which would be fine, except ponies seem happy to keep finding brand new ways to make it harder for him.
AN// Welcome to a new part in my mlp series. If you have not read it yet, I highly recommend you start from the first in the series: New Beginnings. (MLP)
Many thanks to @Arratra for betaing this one!

Now, on with the story!

The sounds drifted up from the village below. Laughs, singing, music, the sound of talking and some ponies arguing as the bright full moon shone across the village, having just climbed over the horizon, leaving shimmering streaks of silver and shadow, broken by the light of torches and glow crystals.

The scent of spices and smoke, of cooking meat and meals. The sound of foals playing. Ponies talking and laughing

I couldn't help but smile at the pair of statues in the main square, decorated so thickly with flowers they were barely visible. The Night of the Twins was starting to become one of our largest holidays and ponies were having fun with it.

I even saw some ponies, mostly sisters, having coloured their coats and manes to look more alike, wearing the same things.

But it was only expected that this would become one of the larger, more important ones. This was the day of the year that the shield had first gone up. Only one larger actually was Founding Day.

It had actually overtaken Hearts Warming, but I didn't expect that to last. In another couple of years, the newness of it would likely fade enough.

"You're really enjoying this, aren't you?" Sparks asked as she walked up next to me.

I smiled at her as I put a hoof on the railing, "I am," I told her, "And you look especially pretty tonight."

Twilight had braided her long mane down over one shoulder and she had several red and yellow flowers braided into it. What more, she had something I had only seen her wear once before. Fake silver feathers had been threaded through her wings to sit among her natural ones, making her wings shimmer in the lights. She also wore a circlet and a horn ring, both also of silver.

She smiled at me, "It's a bit much, but Rarity insisted. And she brought it all here an-"

"You look amazing," I told her honestly and leaned in to touch my horn gently against hers.

Her cheeks turned slightly red, "Thank you. She's finishing up with Sunset now, it's almost your turn."

I sighed softly but nodded and turned to walk inside, heading towards the bedroom, only to stop in the door at the sight.

Sunset also had her mane braided, over her other shoulder compared to Twilight, and with flowers of Twilight's colors. She wore a circlet of silver and an identical horn ring. Her tail seemed to have been threaded with silver.

"Oh wow."

She smiled at me, "Like it, wing boy?" she asked and moved in a circle.

"Me like, yes."

"Well, if he fell back to grassland pony speech, it must look good," Sunset teased and looked at Rarity, "Amazing work. I expected dresses when Twilight said you offered to come down."

Rarity brushed her mane back a bit, "Know your audience, darling. Wearing clothes at all is completely out of fashion in Nocturnis. Besides, it has been so much fun to branch out into jewelry!" she said before turning to me, giving me a slight bow, "And we're ready for you, Prince Page."

I cautiously entered the room, "...What's the plan here exactly?" I asked.

"Not too much," Rarity reassured me, "You work much better when understated."

"I prefer it too," I admitted and walked up to where she wanted me.

A second pony I didn't know entered, the very pale yellow earth pony with the blue mane was carrying a box on one hoof, "Here we go, Rarity," she said and gave me a small bow, "Your highness."

"Prince Page, let me introduce my assistant, Coco Pommel. She has quite an eye for jewelry actually and has been quite helpful."

"Miss Pommel," I greeted her with a nod, "So I take it this is your doing?" I asked with a smile.

"Not at all, your highness," she said, sounding a bit shy, "I simply helped."

"Oh, it's at least as much your credit, darling," Rarity told her as she floated the box over, "Now, we're going simple. You're already going to wear your circlet and we want to accent that, not take away from it, nor from those feathers in your mane. Oh, my, such a romantic tradition!"

I reached up to touch the thin braid holding the feathers and a thin lock of Sunsets mane with a smile, "I wish I could take credit for it, but that's fully Twilight's idea."

"And I had no idea she was such a romantic," Rarity said with a smile, "As I said, we want to accent, not take away from it. Let's try something new, please extend your wings. I had the idea just a few weeks ago, but no bat to try it on. Rainbow Dash stood model and it worked... kinda. Let's see if this works better on the real deal."

I did as she said, curious of what she was up to.

What she was up to, was wide silver C shapes that fitted across the forward edge of my wing around the bone and muscle there. The result ended up with me wearing four of them on each wing.

I shifted a wing curiously, folding and unfolding it as I watched.

"Well, how does it feel?"

"...Strange," I admitted, "Never even thought about something like it before. It's not uncomfortable, but feels really odd. I'm not entirely sure I could fly like this actually, pulling my wing balance way off."

"Neither can a pegasus wearing fake feathers," Miss Pommel pointed out.

"Fair," I admitted, "I'll try them for today, see how it goes."

"Excellent, I'm so pleased that it worked out!" Rarity said with a smile, "I was so worried!"

She started to unpack the next box, making me worried in turn. What more did she have in mind for me? But I had promised Sparks I'd go along with it. And to be honest, I had not been disappointed in anything Rarity has done yet. I trusted her, which was why I always bought things from her.

What came next was a simple silver necklace. It actually reminded me a bit about the ones Celestia and Luna wore, but... thinner and smaller. The design was very different too, made from silver and incorporating...

"...Are those fangs?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"They are," Rarity confirmed, watching it float in her magic with a critical eye, "From those ghastly lizard monsters you have here. I swear, they cost more to import from here than the silver for the rest of it. They were quite an experience working with, I had to seek out a griffon for advice!"

It was a silver band with engravings along it, flowing lines. At the front was the engraving of a full moon and along each side of the band was two sets of three fangs, spread out along it, each extending downwards past the bottom of the necklace and standing out.

"It's a bit much, isn't it?" I asked carefully.

"Your highness, I would love to have gone with gold," Rarity admitted, "It would have worked even better, maybe a golden headdress as well. It would have been magnificent. But this works much better for your personality, I think."

I shrugged my wings a bit, "Let's try it on, I guess," I admitted and she floated it to my neck.

It fit perfectly, as expected. Rarity had my measurements, had had them for years even as well as got updated every year.

"Now," she said, "For the last part," and pulled out the last box and showed me the content."

I eyed it hesitantly, "Shoes?" I asked, "That's a bit mareish, isn't it?"

Rarity may or may not have hidden an eyeroll, "No, it's not. I'll have you know most stallions in Ponyville wear shoes."

"That's work shoes. Not silver."

"Yes, and these are not shoes," she said and floated one up to show me, "They are top hoof covers. Your silent hoof steps are part of your image and grip is too important up here to wear silver shoes. But these bring the elegance needed for your ensemble."

"Okay, we can try them," I admitted and flicked one ear.

Rarity has not guided me wrong yet and I had promised Sparks.

They clicked into place and I looked into the mirror, carefully raising one hoof and shifting my wings, "...I guess it looks good," I admitted, carefully moving in a circle.

"You look like royalty," Rarity reassured me with a smile, "Now, let's get it off and get your coat, mane and tail ready."

I thought I already was.

But no, it turned out to take another forty minutes.

I'm not entirely sure what Rarity and Coco did to me, it involved some kind of oil I think, but my coat almost seemed to catch the light as I moved and every gust of wind caught my mane and tail, making every strand seem to float through the air.

I suppose there are still some kinds of magic I have no idea about.

Or it was just a lot of effort, it took two ponies brushing me for forty minutes to get the effect, so I'm not sure it's actually worth the effort, but... then again, the way both Sparks and Sunny's ears perked up when they saw me felt nice.

Maybe I'll look into doing it more often, especially for special occasions.

There had of course been a speech expected of me today. But of course ponies also were here to have fun and not listen to me waffle on, so my speech in total had been 'Welcome everypony! Now go have fun!'

I think that got me the most applause yet, so I guess it worked?

Now we made our way slowly across the main square, stopping what seemed every couple of hooves to talk to or greet other ponies when I finally spotted Midnight and Tempest, "You two look quite good tonight," I said with a smile.

"Thank you, your majesty," Tempest said, shifting slightly with a small bow.

She was not one for dressing up, but she was wearing a pair of horn rings, one close to the tip and one by the base, connected via silver filigree following the grooves of her horn. She also had her mane brushed back in a style similar to Midnights.

Midnight smiled, "Thank you," she said, "You look very nice too. All of you."

She was dressed identically to Tempest, wearing the same kind of horn jewelry.

"Have you seen Rarity yet?" Twilight asked her and shifted a wing to show off the silver feathers, "Look at these!"

"Very pretty,"Midnight agreed with a smile, "And no, not yet."

"She should be somewhere at the other side of the square," Sunset supplied, "Last time I saw her anyway. Rainbow was assisting Applejack with their food stand around there."

Twilight nodded, "Have you seen Fluttershy?"

Midnight nodded with a grin, "Yeah, they're over by the old tree. See you later," she said and continued past, Tempest quickly trotting along.

The old tree was a bit of a misnomer, but it was the largest tree that poked up through the large platform from the forest below, so it had caught the name. We started in that direction and it didn't take long before I spotted a flash of yellow through the crowd.

Not long after, Discord came into view.

He kind of stood out in a crowd, but honestly... I might not like the chaos spirit, but I no longer felt like punching him anytime I saw him. He may still be chaos incarnate, but getting together with Fluttershy had mellowed him out by a lot.

Fluttershy looked up and got to her hooves when we got close, "Wow, you all look so amazing!"

She was one to talk, her pink mane had been turned into what seems to be a hundred narrow braids, each one incorporating what seems to be dozens of shiny things, glowing and flaring brighter as she moved and she was wearing a green dress that almost seemed to be hovering around her rather than be worn..

Fluttershy had always been one of the most beautiful mares I knew and that was without even trying.

Today she had put effort into it and ponies were having trouble keeping their eyes off her.

Not me, of course.

"You're the one that looks amazing," Sunset said with a grin, "What are those things in your mane?"

Fluttershy flicked one ear a bit shyly, "..Stars," she admitted, "Discord got them for me," she said before she looked up at him fondly, "But he even asked Princess Luna first and will put them back by the morning."

Discord smiled and ran his claws through her mane, "You should have seen her face," he said, his familiar smirk on his face, "Last thing she expected."

Even the dracogenus seemed to have put some effort in, wearing a neon orange tuxedo and what looked like neon chemical lights hanging from his horns.

"Besides," Twilight said and glanced around, "I bet you have enough chaos in your life right now anyway."

Discord actually laughed, "If I knew how much, I would have tried years ago."

Fluttershy smiled up at him, "Oh really?" she asked innocently.

His cheeks flushed but didn't answer, instead looking around anywhere but at her.

Fluttershy actually smirked slightly, showing a bit of sharp fang before the batpony looked around, "Where did she go though?" she asked, "Eris! Eris, come to mommy!"

There was a second before the universe seemed to turn inside out in a small patch next to her and a young batpony filly jumped out. She had the pale yellow coat of her mother, but the yellow eyes and black mane of her father.

Fluttershy quickly scooped her up with a smile and a wing, depositing the little filly on her back, "There you are!"

I raised an eyebrow, "...How much chaos magic does she have exactly?" I asked, looking up at Discord, "Last I knew, she could barely knock her playing blocks over."

He smiled and reached to brush her mane, "Only slightly more than Pinkie Pie," he said, "About as much as a pony can have."

"It's like a unicorn," Fluttershy explained, "She's in her magic boost phase right now, if a little later than usual. It'll settle down. I doubt she'll be able to go into the 'underneath' as Discord describes it when she gets older.

Sparks looked like she had a million questions, but finally shook her head, "She may have to go to magic school."

"Wouldn't help," Discord said, "She's not a unicorn, Purple Smart."

I nodded, "Maybe we should leave this to Discord," I told her, "He is the expert in being him."

"I am!" Discord agreed, "Very good suggestion, Batman. Now, bat off to somewhere else," he said before scooping Eris up, "It's time for snacks!"

"Snacks!'' The little filly cheered and both of them disappeared in a flash of light.

Fluttershy rolled her eyes, "Discord!"

She disappeared in a flash of light as well.

Sunset sighed, "This is going to be trouble," she commented.

"Eh," I said and shrugged my wings a bit, "We've dealt with worse. At least they're happy and Discord isn't actively causing problems. I'll take the wins where I can."

"He'll likely be busy for the next decade at least," Twilight agreed with a small smile.

Sunset smirked, "You saw how Fluttershy looked at him, right? I suspect significantly more than a decade myself."

Twilight smiled wider, "True. I'm so glad for her, she always did want a big family."

Sunset moved around us to next to Twilight again with a smirk, whispering something into her ear. They both then looked at me.

"...Am I missing something?" I asked, one hoof a bit nervously off the floor.

Sunny smiled, "Oh, just commenting how somepony looks good today."

Sparks looked me over, "And maybe thinking about some more private celebrations later."

Yay.

Last edited:
Looks like Fluttershy's not the only one interested in foals.

Hmm, any kids Page has with Twilight (not to mention Luna or Celestia) have a pretty good chance of being born alicorns, lesser odds with Sunset but still possible obviously.

And now we wait for the Hammer to drop.

Because this has been a lot of Sweet, with very little action.

And Page isn't Allowed to have Nice Things for long.

Well I see fire, blood, and babies in the future, not sure what the order will be but I know it will be entertaining!

I lounged on my throne, the last of the sunlight filtered in from outside through the branches of the taller trees. It was very early night and with a holiday having been the night before the village was dead quiet, ponies sleeping in or trying to sleep off their hangovers.

I usually enjoyed these nights.

Usually.

Taking a deep breath, I looked at the three ponies standing at attention before me. A pair of earth ponies and a unicorn.

"You know," I said as I studied them, "I usually enjoy the night after a holiday as much as the holiday. It's usually a very light night for me. To spend time with my family. Usually. "

"Instead, I'm here," I said, "With you bunch," I added and floated a parchment up to read it, "Drunk and disorderly. Destruction of public property. Making a disturbance."

None of them moved.

"I recognise you three," I continued, putting the parchment down, "You have been before me once before. I remember it being similar charges as well. I seem to remember the fine then being a hundred bits each as well."

All three stayed at attention, eyes forward.

"Private Starswell, what do you have to say for yourself?" I asked the unicorn.

"Sir, I apologize, I had too much to drink, sir!"

I regarded him for several long moments. He stared straight ahead but I could see him swallow.

I switched my gaze to the other two, "Private Deep Well?"

The first earth pony stood even straighter if that was even possible, "Sir, I made a mistake, sir!"

"Private Steady?"

"Sir, I bucked up, sir."

"Yes, yes you did," I said and shifted my wings slightly as I regarded them, relaxing against my throne, crossing my forelegs on the throne before me as I relaxed, letting them sweat for a bit.

They were each from the Equestria training base up the track from here. And they did as soldiers always did when given money and getting time away from base.

They got drunk and got into trouble.

The ponies of Nocturnis did not like it. They didn't like it at all. What they did like was the thousands of bits flowing into the local economy.

Which meant they had to put up with the tomfoolery in turn, but there was a limit they would put up with.

"I am well aware that each of you have had dealings with the guard before you ever came to my attention the first time," I continued after some fifteen seconds.

None of them moved.

"And fining you does not seem to have worked," I continued, "So instead, let's try something else and see if that works better, shall we?"

I looked to Iron Shine, "Iron Shine, return these fine gentlemen to their cell if you please and send a messenger to their commanding officer that he needs to come get them in person."

"Oh buck, Sergeant Steel Shoes is going to kill us," one of them muttered.

I turned my head to Private Steady, "Sergeant Steel Shoes?" I asked and the inside of his ears turned a bit red at being caught, "Sergeant Steel Shoes is not your commanding officer, is he? That would be Captain Stormwind unless I'm mistaken."

That had an effect. They turned white beneath their coats and each of them looked like I had announced a firing squad.

No, that's not true, it's like they would have volunteered for a firing squad if that was an alternative.

Captain Stormwind was the garrison commander of the entire Equestrian base. He would be displeased about getting that messenger I think.

I let things sink in for them for a couple of moments before I looked at Iron Shine again, "You have your orders, Lieutenant."

The large earth pony saluted smartly, "Yes, your majesty," she said before she turned to them, "Attention! Move out!"

All of them straightened up even more if possible before turning and being marched out with her following.

The door closed behind them before I sighed, "Well, they're not the first and they're not the last," I said, "But I think this lesson may take a bit better than any fine. What do you think?"

"I would think so, your majesty," Moon Glow agreed, "I think we may know when the messenger arrives as well, even we non-bats will likely hear it from here."

I chuckled at that, "I wouldn't be surprised. But don't let me keep you, you have more important things to deal with."

She was in charge of my personal guard after all.

Moon Glow nodded and saluted with her wing, "Any excursions planned today, sir?"

"No, I'm actually planning to stick around until lunch and then skive off I think," I admitted with a smile, "Day after holidays are always really quiet."

Moon Glow smiled a bit wryly, "More for some than others. Excuse me, sir," she said and headed towards the balcony to do whatever it was she did night to nighty.

I turned my eyes to the last visible pony in the throneroom, "On that note, I seem to remember giving you the day off for sure, Flower."

Flower Rain smiled at me from her small desk towards one side, "Just preparing some items for tonight, sir," the petite bat pony answered, looking up from her papers, "We do have the griffon delegation arriving then if the train keeps to the schedule."

"Oh yeah," I admitted, "Almost forgot about that. Whatever would I do without you, Flower?"

She grinned, fangs on full display, "Do a lot more paperwork, sir?"

"More like being completely lost and not even knowing my own schedule," I told her with a smile of my own, "Now, off with you. I can't do without you, so I have to make sure you take care of yourself."

"I'm almost done," she said and returned to her papers, "Just double checking the planned accommodations."

I really had no idea what I would do without Flower Rain as my assistant. I was absolutely terrified at the thought that she would get old and have to retire at some point, leaving me without her managing things.

Civilization would collapse.

I really have to ask Celestia at some point what I was to do, she had gone through that many hundreds of times by now.

Last edited:
Back