Listen, I was just afraid you were still planning on having the endbringer, slaughterhouse Nine double whammy of canon that is just so much bad stuff one after another. It would've been a bit much, if you ended up portraying those events like what is happening here.
That won't be happening. Honestly, I don't think I could handle either of those at the level you see in Orderly, let alone both. Bakuda's already stretched my ability to handle things like this.

I want to be clear, I really like what you are doing here, and how you've consistently tried to portray a human, empathetic view of this world and the people that are sometimes forgotten. Quite honestly, you do an amazing job as an author, portraying these events.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I really do.

I just want to make sure that this doesn't end up being a misery train in the later chapters that I can't handle. Poor Mei is breaking my heart already, and I can't imagine her losing even more.
I can't promise this. Orderly has always been meant to be more hopeful than the original, and less prone to having bad stuff happen just because things must always get worse, but it's still not really a happy story per se. More holding onto hope and kindness and trying your best no matter how dark things get than grimdark, but also more trying and caring and what that's worth than sunshine and rainbows. And there's still at least one big emotional punch left, even on the bare-minimum plan. There'll be hope and progress to accompany all the dark moments, Arc 28 is probably the darkest in terms of casualties, and this story does have a fairly happy ending, but it won't be easy getting there.
Also, please do something with the nazi's. Give them some kind of comeuppance. I think we all agree that nothing really interesting was done with them in the source material and I trust you way more to do a good job with their comeuppance.
I certainly agree that nothing interesting was done with them, but I'm not so sure about that second part. I think I can do a better job, but I don't have any really good ideas for handling them. Except Purity, I've got a great moment between Purity and Jacqueline foreshadowed, but I don't know how to have those two meet.

I'm open to ideas, both on that and for the Empire in general.

29-9 Inarguable
Few things can manage to be as absurdly anticlimactic as a noseboop in the middle of a mental breakdown. Especially when the one doing the nosebooping is an armoured stuffed animal being wielded by a five year old. Seriously, what is one supposed to say to something like that?

I'm pretty sure it's not "Gah!", but that is what I wound up saying. And it seemed to work pretty well, so maybe there's something to it.

To be clear, what I mean when I say it seemed to work pretty well is that I was instantly engulfed in a hug after saying it.

And possibly before saying it, but I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention to what I was doing around that time. For example, I have no idea how I ended up in one of the hospital beds.

Well, I can guess pretty well, there are only so many possible explanations, but I don't remember.

Eh, it's probably not important. And it's not like I can go back and ask.

"Gah!" also had the advantage of being completely open-mouthed, which was good because my lips were now worse than ever. "What", on the other hand, needed to start with a closed mouth, which was less good. Now that I was mostly paying attention, the pain would have brought me to tears. If I hadn't been crying already, that is.

I automatically accepted a clipboard from Sophia.

Then I noticed Sophia was there, and started gawking uncomprehendingly. Why was she here? From what I could see, she wasn't hurt. Not in any way I could do anything about, anyway.

Sophia answered what she (presumably) thought was my unspoken question: "Stone told me your lips got burnt, so I asked one of the nurses if I could borrow some stationery so you could communicate. I hope you're okay."

Yeah, that wasn't what I was actually thinking at all. It was, however, an easy mistake to make, especially for somebody who was already worried. Which her tone made very, if probably inadvertently, clear she was. Which in turn answered my actual unanswered question.

She was here because she cared.

That was reason enough, I supposed. I could hardly disagree with her reasoning. She probably could have been out there, trying to save people, but I didn't think she had any of the necessary skills and training.

Shadow Stalker did, but Shadow Stalker wasn't there anymore.

On the other hand, from everything I've heard about Shadow Stalker, she probably would have just let people die. If she didn't decide to indulge in a little over-the-top violence herself, that is. So I'm going to try not to feel too guilty about that.

And also I had basically zero control over how Sophia's return happened, and leaving her Mastered so that a violent loose cannon could be available to help in a crisis would have been very morally questionable even if I'd had the option. Especially when I had no way of knowing the loss of skill would happen, or that the crisis would be so soon.

Or so severe. I did know there was going to be a crisis, but only because there was a crisis of some sort in Brockton Bay at least once every five years, and there hadn't been a break that long since the fall of Marquis.

But I digress.

I did end up using the clipboard, once sufficient hugs and tears (for the moment) were had and Mei pointed out the pens on the back of the thing. As such, I could communicate with my newly-acquired companions.

Or, rather, I could communicate with Sophia. I'm still not sure if Mei could read, though she was clearly familiar with the concept, but she definitely couldn't read my handwriting. Even Sophia had trouble with it until I calmed down enough to force myself to write as clearly as I could, and I slipped up frequently enough that I still had to rewrite things on a regular basis.

Fortunately, this method doesn't suffer from such issues. But I'll get to that when I get to that.

Alice Stone, on the other hand, had to be on the phone again, though she was watching me very closely.

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog

"The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog?"

It's a pangram

"One of those sandwich things they have in the cafeteria?"

Those are paninis. A pangram is a sentence that has all the letters of an alphabet in it. People use them to test things like keyboards. Since I was having trouble writing something coherent, I used the most common one to check if I was writing clearly enough. Since you could read it, it obviously worked

"Most common one?"

Sure, there's lots of them

Farmer jack realised that big yellow quilts were expensive

My girl wove six dozen plaid jackets before she quit

Amazingly few discotheques provide jukeboxes

Sphinx of Black Quartz, Judge my Vow

"Alright, alright, I get it. And isn't that last one just a little dramatic?"

Life is dramatic. And please share with Mei.

"Mei?"

"Me!" interjected Mei.

The little girl sitting next to me. She's starting to look disgruntled

"Disgruntled?"

"Disgruntled?"

Irritated and inconvenienced, starting to edge into anger

"Ahhh.
"

Just tell her what I've been writing, please. I appreciate what you're trying to do, but Mei also needs attention.

"How am I supposed to explain these 'pangrams' to a three year old!? Does she even know what letters are!?"

"I'm five!"

Seriously, Sophia, she's right there

"
And do you know what letters are?"

"Of course I know what letters are!"

I'll be honest, Sophia's attempts at baiting me into expounding on various subjects were well made, and they were probably good for me as well, at least as a short term distraction. They were not, however, as funny as watching her arguing with a five year old.

Correction: arguing with a five year old and losing.

Absolutely hilarious, that. And adorable. And probably a lot better for my stress levels than anything else in the room. It was almost definitely at least partially my fault, but I couldn't feel too bad about it.

Self care is important, after all.

Realized.
For the Z.
That's an in-character mistake.

Jacqueline habitually uses Canadian spelling and grammar, and isn't thinking about how it might impact her pangrams. Sophia, meanwhile, is trying to keep Jacqueline "talking" more than she actually cares about the pangrams. So it makes sense for a mistake like that to slip by them.

Mostly, though, I decided to be a little more obvious about the spelling divide between Jacqueline and all the other characters, and see if anyone noticed

That is most arguments with five-year-olds, in my experience. Not that it makes it any less funny, mind, and I think we needed this diversion from the trauma as much as Jacqueline did, so thanks!
If you're getting into an actual argument with a five year old you've already lost and Jacqueline knows that, but going back and specifying that Sophia was losing is exactly Jacqueline's sort of humour.

This fic was, is, and will almost certainly continue to be equal parts gut-wrenching and heart-warming.

As ever, I lift my hat in respect. Kudos!

I'm still waiting for a follow-up on poor Lisa, but that will probably be awhile.
I hope they didn't leave her in containment foam through all the bombs going off.

30-1 Incriminating (Interlude: Panacea)
Panacea:

Panacea had never really liked Brockton Bay General Hospital. She had more than enough reasons not to. The rooms weren't quite "bare-bones", but they weren't much better, and the floors were usually just a little too slippery. The stench of waste and people kept from moving for too long was always in the air, warring with the antiseptic tang of the harshest, and cheapest, cleaning chemicals. Mostly, though, she didn't like Brockton Bay General Hospital because it was, as the name implied, a hospital.

And Panacea had seen enough of hospitals for a thousand lifetimes.

It wasn't that she was opposed to the idea of people recovering from their various ailments and injuries, or even them having a place to do it in. It was just that, in the end, it always came down to her to heal them. Intellectually speaking, she knew there were plenty of cases where her help was never even considered, let alone actually requested, but she'd been asked for more help than a hundred Panacea's could have given, and usually entirely unnecessarily. She got at least three requests a day for things that didn't even need a nurse, let alone the best Parahuman healer on the entire poxy planet.

And even for the cases where she really was needed, she just didn't care. Not anymore. She knew that made her a horrible person, but she just couldn't. It had been easy, when she first started, then gradually harder and harder until eventually, without really noticing, she couldn't do it at all. She still went, she had to, but she didn't care. And, despite the citywide emergency she'd had been told very few details about, she'd expected this visit to be no different.

The present Amy envied her past self's ignorance.

The first sign that something was up was the ticking. There weren't any large clocks in the hospital, too expensive, too fragile, and too cumbersome to be brought to such a generally hectic place. Watches ticked, but only if one got right up close to them, or at least that was the only way you could actually hear them. This was far too loud to be any watch Panacea had ever encountered. It felt wrong. Loud ticking, like what she was still hearing even now, was a sound for home.

Or, she belatedly remembered, a sound for Josephine Calavera. It shouldn't have been a surprise that they'd call in the only other heroic healer available too, this was a city-wide emergency after all, but Panacea had forgotten she existed. In her defense, she'd had more pressing issues at hand.

The second sign came when she entered the usual room they had her work in for emergencies, when something was suddenly pulling at Panacea's arm. Panacea was startled enough to not resist, especially when she realized that "something" was Josephine. The girl was wearing a mask, and Panacea hadn't paid her as a person rather than a power a whole lot of mind the first time they'd met, but who else could it be?

There weren't exactly a whole lot of children allowed to just run around hospitals in the middle of an emergency, and exactly one of those children had shiny metal skin and subtly metallic pigtails. The costume was new, but the girl hadn't had a costume last time they'd met, and it did make her look even more stupidly cute and helpful than last time, and…

And that was Vicky

In a hospital bed, dressed like all the countless patients Amy hand tended to over the years, with an IV plugged in and the most pained expression Amy had ever seen wrought all over her unconscious face.

Vicky. Bold, brash, beautiful Vicky, who was supposed to be invincible, who was supposed to always be there, to be strong and kind and lovely and Amy's forever, was hurt, and hurt badly.

And Amy was moving before she even fully realized what was happening, and tripping on something she never saw, and falling, and landing right on Vicky's perfect breasts. She said something, she didn't even know what but it was despondent and wretched and way lustier than it should have been, and everything was awful and desperate and she needed to do something and

And suddenly there was a sound behind Amy, a cry of sudden, startled pain, and Amy remembered she wasn't the only conscious person within the curtains around Vicky's resting place.

And the other person very obviously knew too much, going by the realisation in her beady little eyes. They stared at each other in horror for far, far too long.

Amy had just started to try and keep Josephine quiet when the little lunatic just up and shoved something into Amy's mouth. Tasted like … banana?

Her power confirmed it, it was indeed a banana, with normal banana bacteria and structure and cell walls and deoxyribonucleic acid and everything

What the actual living…

I support bananas being given to panicked healers
I'm beginning to sense a pattern here of healers getting stuff shoved in their faces when down.
It's always the answer.

More seriously, it'll make sense when we see it from Jacqueline's perspective. Or at least more sense than it currently does.
No surprise that Amy doesn't know our cutie's actual name.
I was hoping somebody would notice that. It'll come up in story eventually, but there'll be a great deal of back and forth before that happens. Much laughter will ensue, or so I hope.

30-2 Insensible
Hospital food is unpleasant, tis a universal truth. Maybe not in the sort of hospitals meant to provide luxurious recovery to the rich and powerful, but Brockton Bay General wasn't that sort of hospital. Things like extensive decor and quality food preparation training and equipment were expensive, especially when both needed to be adapted to the unique needs of a medical facility. And I didn't even like Shepherd's Pie much in the first place.

But I hadn't survived months on a diet of what Winslow had to offer by being a picky eater. Regular meals are important, especially for children. Even with more than a week of better fare behind me, forcing myself to eat what I didn't want to eat was a well-practised skill. And this still wasn't half as bad as Vista's little disgrace to the name of pizza. Bland and slightly icky, to be sure, but it was no abomination against sanity and reason. And it required no chewing, unlike a non-hospital Shepherd's Pie. It could even be eaten mouth open, with some concentration and assistance, and that was definitely a boon.

Unfortunately, Mei didn't feel the same way.

"That's baby food."

She hadn't even tried it. She was being petty and childish.

Then again, she was five. Her being petty and childish sometimes was only to be expected. It was honestly relieving, and even amusing as she argued with Sophia, like she'd been doing intermittently ever since the great age debate. If it weren't for the fact that she really did need to eat, it wouldn't have really been a problem. Or at least it wouldn't have been my problem.

As it was, something needed to be done, and neither of my companions were listening to me. Which was understandable, since I couldn't say anything, but they weren't even looking at me as I wrote on my clipboard. And Airplane noises probably weren't going to cut it, even if I could have made them safely and without horrible burning agony.

I was just starting on my preparations for bribing Mei into compliance with my fortunately-intact banana (proper storage methods work wonders, people) when Panacea walked into the room.

To be honest, that had taken longer than I expected. Then again, last time I'd seen her she'd travelled in her sister's arms, and that obviously wasn't an option this time. And she did live pretty far away from the hospital, in one of Brockton's less decaying suburbs. And transportation was probably difficult at the moment, especially for VIPs who needed to be guarded. And there were a lot of potential draws on her time. I could see why she might have been delayed, I just hadn't expected it.

What I couldn't see was whether she knew what had happened to her sister. Her face was too far away to read. But either way, she would need emotional support. So I got up, tucking the good sergeant in as I did so, patted Sophia on the back, pointed at Mei and then her Shepherd's Pie, and nodded.

Hopefully they'd get the message, but I had confidence that even if they didn't somebody would come along and bail poor Sophia out eventually.

And so I left.

Banana still in hand, and absentmindedly continuing to unpeel it. You'll see why that's important in just a second, but for now I was walking over to the entrance.

I needed to fulfill my role as an Emotional Support Jacqueline.

Being an Emotional Support Jacqueline was surprisingly similar to being a Seeing-Eye Dog, at least in terms of the amount of tugging involved. My target looked tired and worn now that I was close enough to see, but not especially alarmed or worried, so I suspected she didn't know what had happened to her sister. And it wasn't like I could just tell her about it.

It was frustrating, not speaking so as not to aggravate my burns, not to mention the constant care it required, but I could see exactly one (1) way of fixing that problem within an hour or so, and said way had better things to be doing at the moment.

Like fixing up her sister so she wasn't in immense pain any more. That was important. And she had a right to know about what was going on with her family.

So I ran up, took her hand in mine, and did my best to drag her to Glory Girl's curtain surrounded bed. Fortunately, she was surprised enough to let me. I suppose it probably was pretty surprising, especially if she didn't recognise me. I can't really blame her if she didn't, given that we'd met all of once. And I was dressed and carried myself entirely differently. And I was wearing a mask. And, after a few seconds of being tugged, she was pretty distraught.

And stunned. Yeah, she definitely hadn't known. Or at least hadn't believed. This didn't seem like the kind of thing a gentle pat on the back could fix, but I did it anyway. Wasn't like it could hurt things. Much. And it did spur her into action.

Unfortunately, but entirely understandably, said action was not to quickly and efficiently begin the healing process. Instead it was, well, significantly less stoic a–nd professional.

"Vicky! No, you can't leave me! I love you!"

That's my best guess at what she said, anyway. The older healer was not particularly coherent at the time, partially because of the distress, but it sounded a lot like that. And it would make the most sense. Though, really, I wasn't paying all that much attention to what Amy Dallon was saying.

Because the other reason she wasn't all that coherent was that her face was smooshed right into her sister's secondary sexual characteristics.

In hindsight, it probably wasn't on purpose. She'd rushed over to the bed clumsily, in too much of a hurry to lay on hands to bother with grace, and slipped. Perfectly understandable, could happen to anybody. Or at least anybody with a Striker power they desperately needed to apply to somebody lying in a bed. That does exclude the vast majority of people, and even the vast majority of capes, but if my sources are to be trusted it's happened to Clockblocker at least once.

Nonetheless, it was rather surprising. Enough so that I, too, fell over. In hindsight, I may have had some inner ear damage. Just a bit. My hearing was definitely a little off, which might be an additional explanation for all that apparent incoherency. That tends to happen when one is close to explosions, assuming there's enough of you left for it to be a concern. Even if it did, I'd still gotten off relatively lightly.

Relatively.

However my fall happened, it immediately drew Panacea's attention. And guilty horror. It was written all over her face as jumped up and whirled to face me. Like a kid caught stealing from the cookie jar when she was supposed to be in bed, only more so. Plus an absolutely massive blush, something I had recently learned could indicate arousal as well as embarrassment, and this looked like both.

And then there was her proclamation of love, one that didn't really seem purely sisterly in tone.

There was silence between the two of us as I stood up and checked that everything was intact, although the ticking and the more normal hospital sounds continued unabated. Then it was broken, with an extremely desperate sounding "Please don't tel…l"

I didn't fully understand what was going on, but I knew this wasn't a conversation to be spoken aloud in a (semi-)crowded room. Secrets aren't kept by talking where others can hear, but it wasn't like I could tell her that.

So I shoved my banana into New Wave's odd girl out's mouth.

Fortunately, I did have just enough sense to use the end I'd been unpeeling.

I am really looking forward to Amy's brain being fixed. I don't think being addicted to whatever it is Vicky produces with her aura is good. Also her burnout being treated would also be good, but is unlikely to happen anytime soon, so let's stick with something that can hopefully be fixed via Jacqueline

I am really looking forward to Amy's brain being fixed. I don't think being addicted to whatever it is Vicky produces with her aura is good.
I'm afraid this bit mostly focuses on talking and such, not power-based solutions. Amy's not under Vicky's Aura when she's under Jacqueline's, but most of the problem solving and such (and drama and misunderstandings) will be communication based.
Also her burnout being treated would also be good, but is unlikely to happen anytime soon, so let's stick with something that can hopefully be fixed via Jacqueline
Eh, it being fixed any time soon is unlikely. Treatment is significantly more likely, but there's no quick and easy solution to that sort of problem. Not that lasts, anyway.

Well, not to jinx it or anything, but it can hardly end worse than Canon...

... please do not take that as a challenge, I read this for the bitter-sweet warm and fluffy feels!

Well, not to jinx it or anything, but it can hardly end worse than Canon...

... please do not take that as a challenge, I read this for the bitter-sweet warm and fluffy feels!
This could absolutely go worse than Canon, canon Amy never decided to wipe out human life on a grand scale, which both Amy's are definitely capable of.

But no, this is definitely going to go better than canon, not everything needs to get worse.

30-3 Incalculable
Okay, I'll admit it: the banana thing was kinda stupid. I didn't exactly have a lot of time to think things through, or even come up with more than one idea, so I did what made sense at the time. And, unlike a lot of spur-of-the-moment crazy "plans", it worked. Amy Dallon was successfully discombobulated long enough for me to grab her hand and apply it to her sister's arm and run (or, rather, awkwardly shuffle) away.

I honestly can't think of anything I could have done better for that purpose, not with the tools I had at hand. In my opinion, it was a good thing that the banana was one of said tools, even if how I ended up using it had very little resemblance to how I had planned to use it. You never know when you might need a banana, and you never know why you might need a banana. Or at least I apparently don't.

Seriously, I did not see that one coming. There comes a time when you're doing something absolutely impulsive and poorly thought out and you have to wonder why on earth are you doing this, but it did work. I cannot stress that enough.

Most of what I could have done would have seemed a lot more aggressive, but that was unusual and unprecedented enough to get Amy Dallon to just go along with whatever I did for a few precious moments. That let me get her powers reading Victoria, thus getting her occupied with her more immediate issue. And, from a more me-centred perspective, giving me time to think, plan, observe and grab my clipboard (and attachments) so I could actually communicate in a more versatile way than body language, a banana, and tugging enabled.

And laugh at the supremely disgruntled look on Mei's face as she reluctantly forced down Shepherd's Pie. She didn't even find it that icky, that wasn't disgust on her face. Just sheer petty, childish refusal to admit she was wrong. Judging by the smug look on Sophia's face, the older girl knew exactly what was going on, and was oh-so-generously refraining from rubbing it in.

Though I also noticed that Sophia wasn't eating any herself. Good for her. Hypocrisy is an important parenting skill. And a just dealing with children in general skill.

Also, I may have hugged Sergeant Fluffles as hard as possible to psych myself up. And I may have left the good Sergeant on Sophia's head. But other than those two things and the laughing it was thinking, planning, observing and grabbing the necessary equipment for the next stage of my plan.

Unlike the banana thing, I did actually have a plan. Not a terribly detailed or extensive plan, but a plan nonetheless.

First, I'd wait for the healing to be done. I'd say for Amy to finish the banana as well, but I hadn't actually thought of that before she'd automatically swallowed everything in her mouth and let the rest drop. Which took like five seconds, max, so that was understandable.

Secondly, I'd secure our conversation as best I could. If she really did have a crush on Victoria Dallon, she'd want it kept quiet. I definitely wouldn't want it spread around if it were me. Even if I'd misunderstood, letting that misunderstanding out into the wild wouldn't exactly be a good thing.

Thirdly, I'd be clear that she didn't have to tell me anything, and I wouldn't share her secrets either way. A little unacted upon (and I could tell it was unacted upon by the sheer blush level a little accidental fall induced) inappropriate crushing never hurt anybody except the one having it, and it was hardly her fault.

It'd be best if she talked it through with her sister, assuming the latter had the maturity to handle it, but I couldn't be sure that she hadn't, or that Victoria Dallon did have that maturity. Her chosen name certainly didn't indicate such, though it'd been long enough since she'd chosen it for her to grow up a bit. And that wasn't always a good indicator anyway. Still, it was a bit of a red flag in that regard, and I'd certainly understand if Amy didn't think Victoria could handle something like this well.

Honestly, I don't think I could really blame Victoria if she couldn't either, but I could at least try to handle it well myself.

And, fourthly and finally, I'd be as kind and understanding as I could be. It was a sound policy in general, really, and this was probably hard enough for Amy already. I won't say I understood, not properly, but I understood enough to know something like was never going to be easy.

And there you go. My little devious machination(s). It wasn't terribly complicated, but it was pretty sound, and simplicity has its own advantages. KISS persists for a reason, and I don't mean full-face makeup and guitars. Or actual kisses. There would be absolutely no actual kisses, for any number of very good reasons.

Waiting wasn't exactly very interesting, but I had a decent amount of patience, when I really needed it, and I'd waited longer for lesser reasons more times than I can be bothered to count. Even for my narrowest definition of "I". If it's one of the other ones, I can't even estimate how many times I've needed to do that, so it wasn't that much of a hardship.

That step of my little scheme was just as planned.

The next, unspoken, step did not.

I didn't know what happened to Victoria Dallon, but healing her went a lot faster than Panacea normally took. I don't know what it was.

Maybe the emotional connection let Amy push her powers further, a real and known phenomenon, one most but not all capes experienced, even for powers that weren't as innately emotion driven as mine. Maybe she knew her sister's body better than she did the random strangers she usually operated on.

Maybe what happened was one of those small but impactful things that are usually the hardest to handle, but which both my power and hers could do more quickly. Maybe it was even the fact that Glory Girl was under my healing as well as her sister's.

Whatever it was, Amy Dallon was done pretty quickly. Then I tried as best I could to get her attention without startling her.

And failed.

She was in some sort of fugue state, there but not really there, you know? Caught up in her own little world. It wasn't entirely unfamiliar, but it felt kinda weird to be on the outside of it for once. In hindsight I should probably have taken lessons from how the people around me handled it, but hindsight is 20/10. But I tried what I knew. I stood right in her line of sight, pointing at my clipboard to indicate we had something to talk write about.

Which communicated absolutely nothing, since she had no way of knowing I was using the clipboard to communicate, but that's also hindsight, and hindsight 20/5. And maybe I waited just a little too long to take further action, but that is hindsight yet again, and hindsight is 20/1. I realised the problem, and moved on to other approaches, and that's what's important.

I tried walking a little closer. I tried waving. Neither met with much success. Or any success at all. So I did something reckless and impulsive, again, and did my seeing-eye dog bit. Again. Gently, guiding rather than pulling, but it was still pretty stupid. Startling people in that state is mean, and with capes it's dangerous. But she just followed along, still lost in her head.

I suppose she did have a lot to think about. And I really don't have room to be criticising her for it. Still, it was just a bit inconvenient.

I could cope with inconvenient.

I could cope with a lot of things.

This was okay. I could deal. And I could help Amy as best I could with the frightening fact of my discovery of one of her secrets.

She had more than one, of course. Everybody did. Especially people attracted to the same sex in a city with a massive Nazi presence, especially teenagers, and especially capes. And especially especially teenage capes who were attracted to the same sex in a city with a massive Nazi presence. And probably especially people who had to live with Brandish.

No, I'm not over that meeting. And there's some other stuff, but I'll get to that when I get to that.

It's okay, I ended up writing. Not terribly specific, but gentle and reassuring in a way she probably needed. And that I probably needed, but there was only so much I could do to reassure myself. It took a while before there was any response, and when one came it was confusion.

The thing was, even if she now knew I was communicating via clipboard, she still had no way of knowing why. Hindsight is 20/0.1. Careless Brutes and too-hot beverages and burning children and desperate efforts to put them out weren't especially germane to the discussion at that particular moment, so I didn't bring them up. I could avoid some mistakes.

Can't talk right now

Simple, and to the point. It was good enough.

Though it didn't exactly explain why she shouldn't talk. Just because I instantly knew that some things shouldn't be spoken aloud in a crowded room didn't mean she did. So I expanded further on the subject of not talking: You shouldn't either, if you want to discuss anything that you don't want getting out

Acquiescence, followed by a slightly different look of confusion. It wouldn't hurt to explain. Lots of bored ears with nothing better to listen to, and capes always draw attention

A third look of confusion, again following agreement. Wondering how I knew what she was questioning. Truth is, it was just that I was aware my behaviour was unusual, and people usually questioned that. In their heads, if not to my face. Perfectly natural. It was the obvious question for the situation.

It was the obvious question for the situation

Amy Dallon made no move to write back. It took me longer than it should have to realise she didn't have anything to write back with. That wasn't the real issue, but it was still something I should have done before. Then again, hindsight is 20/0.001 There was another pen still attached to the board, but she probably didn't want to be rude and grab it. And asking for it would have been fine, but I had just advised her to not say anything out loud.

She did take the pen, when I offered. And she still made no move to write back, and that's when I realised she just didn't want to talk about it.

Which, honestly, was perfectly fair. I suppose I wouldn't either, in her situation. There was really only one thing that needed to be said for this conversation, anyway.

It's okay. You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to. I'll keep quiet about the matter either way

Well, two things. "It's okay" was pretty important too.

I really hadn't expected that to be the thing that started the conversation in earnest.

I regret that I only have one heart to give this.

So have a comment for the post count, and please, keep the good feelings coming.

Back