Actually, amusingly enough, it is exactly a third of votes being discarded. 16 votes for Dagger, 16 votes for Staff, and 16 votes discarded due to not voting for one of the two winning plans.

...Oh, right, the automatic vote tally was also counting people who voted in the previous round but not this round.

The intent to do it this way was to negate the salt inducing strategic vote shuffling. We got the natural result as it were.

*shrugs* If the intent is to avoid salt, I'm not sure a result where a third of the votes are invalidated due to vote splitting is actually better.

A healing dagger can be nice. But possibly scary for allies. But Neianne is a nice girl. If she say she'll stab you to save you, that's what she's gonna do, right?

Right? Of course Neianne won't let any possible grudges say she should just stab you and declare you were beyond saving.

Right?

"Elizabeth, stop trying to make them afraid of Neianne."

"Spoilsports."

A healing dagger can be nice. But possibly scary for allies. But Neianne is a nice girl. If she say she'll stab you to save you, that's what she's gonna do, right?

Right? Of course Neianne won't let any possible grudges say she should just stab you and declare you were beyond saving.

Right?

"Elizabeth, stop trying to make them afraid of Neianne."

"Spoilsports."

I dunno, I'd be pretty scared of a healing dagger. I mean, how would you know if it was in stab to heal mode or stab to kill mode?

...Oh, right, the automatic vote tally was also counting people who voted in the previous round but not this round.

*shrugs* If the intent is to avoid salt, I'm not sure a result where a third of the votes are invalidated due to vote splitting is actually better.

You can fix that by adjusting the post it tallies from. Looking at the tally, I think the end result, regardless of which secondary weapon she goes with, reflects pretty accurately what people were hoping for. The four most popular classes were the ones that won, and though there's a disparity between dagger and staff in the tally here, they're still both the most popular weapon options.

Inserted tally
Adhoc vote count started by Kinruush on Feb 5, 2019 at 9:55 AM, finished with 197 posts and 50 votes.

Last edited:
RIP Mace, we hardly knew ya. I suppose daggers, while not as amazing as a warhammers, are decent enough as well.

A question that will answered in Arc Four, so at the current rate, please look forward to an answer somewhere around 2023. ^_^

... ...

T_T
Don't despair! It took Xander Quest on SB six years to cover just one year's worth of events so it can always be worse. Of course that did cover 20+ arcs and over two million words so it was a pretty busy year but it does probably set a record for how slow time can progress in quests.

Running a quest is an exercise in dealing with the unexpected. I did not expect a vote where Neianne would strip to sneak under a wyvern. I similarly did not expect - with the number of votes we had and the system we used - we'd end up with a tie. Like, seriously, what were the odds of that?

So I've been spending time trying to figure out how to resolve this tie, and ultimately, I decided that any tie-breaking methodology I used must take into account both primary and secondary preferences, to keep in the spirit of all the trouble we went through restructuring this vote. In this vein, although @UberJJK provided one method of tie-breaking, I was reluctant to use only this in part because it is unsourced and because I had not clarified on a set of tie-resolution rules beforehand. This is a learning experience, and the best I can do now is to create a post ex facto resolution that will satisfy the most amount of people.

Of the forty-nine votes cast, thirty of you (61.2%) included Buster Sword, Strategy and Logistics, Tactics and Command, and Trade and Commerce as specifically your first preference, and thirty-nine of you (79.6%) included them in either your first or second preference (or both), irrespective of weapon choice. Since this is a consistent pattern well past the halfway threshold no matter how you count it, and since these four items are included in the two tied votes, it will be included. Fundamentally, then, this vote comes down to weapon choice: Dagger or staff. Ultimately, if we are to count the number of votes for dagger or staff in first primary preferences, and then secondary preferences for those who did not already vote for one or the other, then daggers lead twenty-three to sixteen. As such, the winning vote will be:

[x] Dagger
[x] Strategy and Logistics
[x] Tactics and Command
[x] Trade and Commerce
[x] Buster Sword

This situation has arisen because I have been short-sighted on two occasions in this update alone, and I don't want to undersell my incompetence here. Regardless, I do hope that those who did not vote for the specific set that won can at least take solace in the fact that, in terms of either first or second preferences, forty-three out of forty-nine of you (87.8%) got at least eighty percent of what you wanted out of this vote. With any luck, this will be a real bright spot in a vote that I have managed to make more convoluted than it really had to be.

Thank you everyone for your patience and understanding, and I hope everyone can accept this outcome amicably.

All Neianne needs now is a Pyramid Shaped Helmet. And then have her threateningly drag her sword on the floor as she walks.

A Buster Sword is just a Great Knife if you think about it.

Since Neianne will now be able to fight effectively with a dagger, she can keep one under her pillow while she sleeps. That way, if someone tries to sneak up on her while she's lying on her weird metal bed, she'll have a weapon that'll be easy to draw and use.

Since Neianne will now be able to fight effectively with a dagger, she can keep one under her pillow while she sleeps. That way, if someone tries to sneak up on her while she's lying on her weird metal bed, she'll have a weapon that'll be easy to draw and use.
The real issue is that she is more of a target for Elizabeth's lightning attacks. Now we can't wake her up or be woken up by her.

Your all probably wondering. Hey! What knife could compliment are super strength! Well that's a simple answer.
Or we could use a Knecht kriegsmesser. Which is 'technically' not a sword but a large knife. :^)
Also literally the best 'sword' you can ever get or use. I'll get into internet slap fights about this. That weapon is my bae.

Last edited:
You guys are looking at this the wrong way. Think of all the money Neianne can save on cookware now.

Her buster sword can serve as a stove top, a frying pan, a plate, and a cutting board.
Her dagger is her knife and fork.

Sigh. What a useless weapon.

Would have prefered Staff, but Unarmed Combat would have been the best non-magical alternative since it would be even more convenient than daggers and help in making Ranged Buster Sword viable.

Back