Right, closing the votes, opening Microsoft Excel, copy-pasting all the votes, lining them up, beginning the count, switching votes around to account for secondary preferences when the first preferences don't make it, and...

...It's a tie.

... ...

...Right, on an unrelated note, I need to step away from my desk. I'll deal with this when I get back. Until then, you get to sit on this. >_>

"Request denied. Dismissed."

Lucille blinks and almost physically recoils at the two words that immediately leaves Rastangard's lips.
Oh. She's trying to get de-selected, isn't she?

Girl, you were publicly named in front of your entire cohort as a squad leader. You ain't getting out of this one.

Her shoulder slumping, the soft laugh that comes out of Lucille's constricted throat moments later is bitter. "All this because I was born into one right family. Because I have a Celestia at the end of my name, we're all here and you don't like it and my instructors don't like it and my squad doesn't like it and I don't..."
I'm not entirely unsympathetic but being born into that position, you theoretically should have gotten MUCH more training than the others starting at a younger age.

And if you were still that shit at it, then perhaps your obligation should've been not to attend in the first place, somehow.

Lucille gives a mirthless laugh. She isn't trying to be impudent; she knows full well that she's getting away with this in part because - as has been mentioned - she's a Celestia. But she can't help it. "So you're saying I'm so awful that I'm a lesson for the others in how to deal with a horrible squad leader."
Well...yes.

"Yes," answers Rastangard, and her reply is so immediate and so without hesitation
...harsh.

*ducks*

"And they are a lesson for you on how to deal with them and become a better squad leader. You are not the first highborn girl who is less naturally talented than her peers to grace these halls, nor are they the first angry girls of lesser means to find their way here. Our task is to turn each of you into mercenaries who will see this academy proud. Not to make your lives easy."
You'll learn or you'll get fragged!

Wendy moves over to her bed, watching Lucille collapse into her own without bothering to change, so forlorn as she is. Finally, after a moment, she asks, "Are we going to have a problem?"
Wow, power move there Wendy.

This is something that very rarely comes up but in the case of ties I think the general rule is to go with the vote with the most first preferences. The same number of people want each choice but the one with more first preferences is preferred by more people.

But you should probably look that up to confirm. Especially since I am bised towards Staff.

This is something that very rarely comes up but in the case of ties I think the general rule is to go with the vote with the most first preferences. The same number of people want each choice but the one with more first preferences is preferred by more people.

But you should probably look that up to confirm. Especially since I am bised towards Staff.
I'm pretty sure the way it works is that the two tied votes knife fight to the death and the third place sneaks up and bushwhacks them both.

Staff! A healer Neianne with a Door as her shield. How can anyone choose anything else?
Neianne's Buster Sword has some pretty significant drawbacks, and while yes, more training can mitigate some deficiencies, a secondary weapon to address those gaps can go a long way to making Neianne a much more effective fighter.

The staff gives Neianne another skillset but it doesn't really address her problems.

I can understand why people went for the dagger set even if it wasn't my first choice.

I personally feel Alchemy is a better fit for Neianne over the staff, given it's not another tall weapon that's awkward to carry in combination with the Buster Sword, and adds a rare, versatile and potentially invaluable skillset that doesn't seem to be practiced much anymore.

Last edited:
Right, closing the votes, opening Microsoft Excel, copy-pasting all the votes, lining them up, beginning the count, switching votes around to account for secondary preferences when the first preferences don't make it, and...

...It's a tie.
@Kei - Are you sure it's a tie? Because from my post here to now there are only four votes. Two for twin variations of Mace which shouldn't change anything, one for Bow/Dagger, and one for Staff/Bow. So the final tally should be at 20 vs. 14 in favor of Staff. I'm currently rerunning things using a Netally scrapping of all the votes (no partitioning + manual separation into primary/secondary) to account for anyone who edited their plan but I doubt that will result in any significant changes.

@UberJJK Bro, I did the math myself and if anything, Dagger should have won last time I check around vote 47. Let Kei do her job and stop trying to force the vote to Staff, this is really starting to anger me.

This is twice that Staff voters have tried to influence the vote in different ways. I let it fly the first time, when the argument led to this whole alternative vote thing because I had faith it was altruistic, but this seems like trying to rig the system now.

Trust in Kei's capabilities. If it makes any of you feel better though, I cross-checked using excel. I got 16 leading staff plan votes (15 from a first pref, 1 from second pref) and 16 leading dagger plan votes (8 from a first pref, 8 from a second pref).

I personally don't get why people who want a secondary weapon think that a dagger is a more fitting choice than a mace, sword or axe.

It's just... *waves hands*

But whatever, no point in complaining at this juncture.

Last edited:
Can i get a tldr why people are choosing trade and commerce? I cant seem to see how it would be relevant to Neianne. So enlightenment would be massively thanked.

Can i get a tldr why people are choosing trade and commerce? I cant seem to see how it would be relevant to Neianne. So enlightenment would be massively thanked.

I personally don't get why people who want a secondary weapon think that a dagger is a more fitting choice than a mace, sword or axe.

It's just... *waves hands*

But whatever, no point in complaining at this juncture.

It's the quickest weapon to switch to if someone ambushes us or they get past our buster into super CQC. Also an easy weapon to carry at all times. Its derivatives are also kind of cool, supposing we keep the original along with the derivative. Wasn't my ideal second weapon, but it has its advantages.

And as discussed previously, if Neianne is in a position where someone got past her sword, she's going to take damage. That's going to be an occurrence that happens faster than she'll be able to drop weapon and draw dagger. Secondary weapons should always have been viewed through the lens of deliberate alternate decision, not desperate split second defense.

But we're going in circles and the vote's done, so whatever.

@Kei - Are you sure it's a tie? Because from my post here to now there are only four votes. Two for twin variations of Mace which shouldn't change anything, one for Bow/Dagger, and one for Staff/Bow. So the final tally should be at 20 vs. 14 in favor of Staff. I'm currently rerunning things using a Netally scrapping of all the votes (no partitioning + manual separation into primary/secondary) to account for anyone who edited their plan but I doubt that will result in any significant changes.

I'm not sure how you're getting those numbers. I ran through the vote myself manually, and my numbers back up Kei's with 16 for each.

@UberJJK Bro, I did the math myself and if anything, Dagger should have won last time I check around vote 47. Let Kei do her job and stop trying to force the vote to Staff, this is really starting to anger me.

This is twice that Staff voters have tried to influence the vote in different ways. I let it fly the first time, when the argument led to this whole alternative vote thing because I had faith it was altruistic, but this seems like trying to rig the system now.
I'm not sure how you're getting those numbers. I ran through the vote myself manually, and my numbers back up Kei's with 16 for each.
It's because some people changed their votes but only edited their old posts and didn't make new ones and UberJJK didn't do a full recount.

[x] Staff
[x] Strategy and Logistics
[x] Tactics and Command
[x] Trade and Commerce
[x] Buster Sword
No. of Votes: 15

[X] Dagger
[X] Buster Sword
[X] Tactics and Command
[X] Strategy and Logistics
[X] Trade and Commerce
No. of Votes: 8

[X] Mace
[X] Tactics and Command
[X] Buster Sword
[X] Trade and Commerce
No. of Votes: 6

[x] Bow
[x] Tactics and Command
[x] Buster Sword
[x] Bestiary
[x] Alchemy and Botany
No. of Votes: 5

[x] Bow
[x] Beastiary
[x] Scouting and Tracking
[x] Tactics and Command
[x] Buster Sword
No. of Votes: 4

[X] Dagger
[X] Buster Sword
[X] Tactics and Command
[X] Alchemy and Botany
No. of Votes: 3

[x] Mace
[x] Buster Sword
[x] Tactics and Command
[x] Bestiary
[x] Trade and Commerce

[x] Dagger
[x] Tactics and Command
[x] Buster Sword
[x] Bestiary
[x] Alchemy and Botany
No. of Votes: 2

[X] Mace
[X] Buster Sword
[X] Tactics and Command
[X] Scouting and Tracking
[X] Advanced Unarmed Combat
No. of Votes: 1

[X] Tome
[X] Buster Sword
[X] Tactics and Command
[X] Alchemy and Botany

[x] Straight Sword
[x] Buster Sword
[x] Tactics and Command
[x] Trade and Commerce

[X] Staff
[X] Buster Sword
[X] Tactics and Command
[x] Beastiary
[X] Dagger
[X] Buster Sword
[X] Tactics and Command
[X] Trade and Commerce
No. of Votes: 10

[X] Dagger
[X] Buster Sword
[X] Tactics and Command
[X] Alchemy and Botany

[x] Mace
[x] Buster Sword
[x] Tactics and Command
[x] Trade and Commerce

[X] Tome
[X] Buster Sword
[X] Tactics and Command
[X] Alchemy and Botany

[x] Dagger
[x] Alchemy and Botany
[x] Tactics and Command
[x] Trade and Commerce
[x] Buster Sword

[X] Mace
[X] Tactics and Command
[X] Buster Sword
[X] Trade and Commerce
[X] Alchemy and Botany

[x] Bow
[x] Beastiary
[x] Scouting and Tracking
[x] Tactics and Command
[x] Buster Sword

[x] Staff
[x] Tactics and Command
[x] Trade and Commerce
[x] Buster Sword

[X] Dagger
[X] Buster Sword
[X] Tactics and Command
[X] Alchemy and Botany

[x] Bow
[x] Buster Sword
[x] Tactics and Command
[x] Alchemy and Botany
[x] Bestiary

[x] Mace
[x] Buster Sword
[x] Tactics and Command
[x] Bestiary
[x] Trade and Commerce

[X] Mace
[X] Tactics and Command
[X] Alchemy and Botany
[X] Beastiary
[X] Trade and Commerce

[X] Buster Sword
[X] Stealth
[x] Beastiary
Lowest Scoring Voters:
GGreader

Brainwasher
cheesyme
TimEd

Votes Eliminated (Transfers to either eliminated plans or plans below current threshold):
TimEd
GGreader

Votes Transferred:
Brainwasher
[X] Dagger
[X] Buster Sword
[X] Tactics and Command
[X] Trade and Commerce
No. of Votes: 8 -> 9​
cheesyme
[X] Mace
[X] Tactics and Command
[X] Buster Sword
[X] Trade and Commerce
No. of Votes: 6 -> 7​
Lowest Scoring Voters:
Megaolix
HalaNisu

Votes Eliminated (Transfers to either eliminated plans or plans below current threshold):
Megaolix

Votes Transferred:

HalaNisu
[X] Dagger
[X] Buster Sword
[X] Tactics and Command
[X] Trade and Commerce
No. of Votes: 9-> 10​
Lowest Scoring Voters:
Tnoz
pucflek
Changeofheart
cB557
Salbazier
Karnax626

Tnoz
pucflek
Changeofheart
Karnax626

Votes Transferred:
cB557
Salbazier
[X] Dagger
[X] Buster Sword
[X] Tactics and Command
[X] Trade and Commerce
No. of Votes: 10 -> 11 -> 12​
Lowest Scoring Voters:
Candesce
anowack
Absum
Arcus

Arcus

Votes Transferred:
Candesce
[x] Staff
[x] Tactics and Command
[x] Trade and Commerce
[x] Buster Sword
No. of Votes: 15 -> 16​

anowack
[X] Mace
[X] Tactics and Command
[X] Buster Sword
[X] Trade and Commerce
No. of Votes: 7 -> 8​

Absum
[X] Dagger
[X] Buster Sword
[X] Tactics and Command
[X] Trade and Commerce
No. of Votes: 12 -> 13​
Lowest Scoring Voters:
Muramasa
buli-buli
PhDEevee
Nervos Belli
Guilop

PhDEevee
Nervos Belli
Guilop

Votes Transferred:
Muramasa
buli-buli
[X] Dagger
[X] Buster Sword
[X] Tactics and Command
[X] Trade and Commerce
No. of Votes: 13 -> 14 -> 15​
Lowest Scoring Voters:
MiracleGrow
Spectrum
VagueZ
Stasis
angelofwhim
FatedBread
(Second Preference) cheesyme
(Second Preference) anowack

MiracleGrow
Spectrum
VagueZ
Stasis
angelofwhim

Votes Transferred:
FatedBread
[X] Dagger
[X] Buster Sword
[X] Tactics and Command
[X] Trade and Commerce
No. of Votes: 15 -> 16​

Final Two Votes:
[X] Dagger
[X] Buster Sword
[X] Tactics and Command
[X] Trade and Commerce
No. of Votes: 16
Lazy Minx
AnonymousRabbit
Aze
BungieONI
Kinruush
Jrin
The Laurent
typeterra
(Second Preference) Brainwasher
(Second Preference) HalaNisu
(Second Preference) cB557
(Second Preference) Salbazier
(Second Preference) Absum
(Second Preference) Muramasa
(Second Preference) buli-buli
(Second Preference) FatedBread

[x] Staff
[x] Tactics and Command
[x] Trade and Commerce
[x] Buster Sword
No. of Votes: 16

Huh. I would not have called that. It is a tie at 16-16. Quite the surprising number of people edited their votes.

Huh. Sad to see my vote get eliminated so early. Wpuld have tripped the Staff vote to majority if I folded and included Trade and Commerce.

Back