I actually want her to have a healing as second weapon. It m8ght not cover her bases solo, but it fills a niche our squad needs, gives her something to do if she is in the back lines (what better cover for a healer than our door on a stick) AND, I assume healing is also similar to debuffs? Or is it mutually exclusive branch of skills?

If it is between healing and debuffs, then I would probably swing for debuff or just offensive magic for major oomph. But I guess thats just me.
Thinking about it this is actually a pretty good combination.

Dryads racial perks are:
  • With their plant-like physique, dryads are capable of exerting great bursts of energy, whether it be strength or magecraft.
  • Heal from wounds much faster than other races.
  • Camouflage themselves well in woodlands.
  • Can rely on just water and sunlight for emergency nourishment.
which is shown in that most Dryad combatants are swordswomen, lancers, or mages. Neianne is already leveraging her strength in combat via her buster sword so taking advantage of her magic makes sense.

Of the two types of magic (offensive and support) support best fits Neianne. If we want raw offensive power then she already has her buster sword, which can explicitly chop through a Wyvern, so adding offensive magic isn't that helpful. Yes it does give a ranged capability Neianne is currently lacking but as a primarily melee combatant her goal should generally be closing distance not getting into ranged fights. Besides with her strength Neianne can always just throw stones if ranged attacks are needed*.

Something that really isn't appreciated nowadays is that thrown stones are very much a deadly weapon. To the point that stone throwers were historically used in combat because they were cheaper, easier to train, and just generally more plentiful then archers. Slings, and the various sling related weapons, were an outgrowth of this. So if Neianne has the strength to be lugging around a buster sword she has the strength to easily throw a stone hard enough to crack someone's skull open. This is actually pretty useful for assassinations since unlike bows, poison, and the like it is actually pretty hard to link a thrown stone to a particular person and they are pretty subtle to carry.

Support magic meanwhile opens up a whole host of new options for Neianne. Healing is always in demand, is literally a matter of life or death, and an area our current squad is completely lacking in. Debuffs synergize well with Neianne's natural camouflage abilities by both letting her expand upon it and by letting her stealthily cast debuffs upon her foes.

Magic is also a nice choice as Neianne's secondary 'weapon' as it covers one of the big holes her current weapon has; endurance. Neianne's buster sword lets her deal massive damage but does leave her susceptible to fatigue, especially in a prolonged battle. However as far as I'm away magic doesn't draw upon the caster's physical stamina but their magic. So when Neianne gets fatigued she can fall back and begin casting.

Of the two types I would again say that support is preferable here since after fighting Neianne is going to be wounded and fatigued which healing magic should cover. Debuffs also make withdrawing easier since they can be used to augment Neiane's stealth capabilities. Plus from what we've seen debuffs and the like are a lot less flashy then offensive magic so are less likely to draw enemies into melee combat while Neianne is recovering her stamina.

Finally on a purely aesthetic note it helps amp up the already existing dissonance of Neianne's fighting style. She is currently the small, gentle, polite girl who uses a sword as big as she is to hack people/things to death. Throw in her being a medic/support mage, something you would expect someone like Neianne to be, and it makes the shock/surprise when she pulls out her buster sword all the sweeter. It actually gets even better when you realize lots of people seem to mistake her buster sword for a shield which is something you'd expect a support character, like Neianne appears to be, to have for defense while casting.

Oh and that last point reminded that Neianne would actually be quite capable of using her buster sword as a shield while casting. Yet another reason to go the path of the mage.

Thinking about it this is actually a pretty good combination.

Dryads racial perks are:
  • With their plant-like physique, dryads are capable of exerting great bursts of energy, whether it be strength or magecraft.
  • Heal from wounds much faster than other races.
  • Camouflage themselves well in woodlands.
  • Can rely on just water and sunlight for emergency nourishment.
which is shown in that most Dryad combatants are swordswomen, lancers, or mages. Neianne is already leveraging her strength in combat via her buster sword so taking advantage of her magic makes sense.

Of the two types of magic (offensive and support) support best fits Neianne. If we want raw offensive power then she already has her buster sword, which can explicitly chop through a Wyvern, so adding offensive magic isn't that helpful. Yes it does give a ranged capability Neianne is currently lacking but as a primarily melee combatant her goal should generally be closing distance not getting into ranged fights. Besides with her strength Neianne can always just throw stones if ranged attacks are needed*.

Something that really isn't appreciated nowadays is that thrown stones are very much a deadly weapon. To the point that stone throwers were historically used in combat because they were cheaper, easier to train, and just generally more plentiful then archers. Slings, and the various sling related weapons, were an outgrowth of this. So if Neianne has the strength to be lugging around a buster sword she has the strength to easily throw a stone hard enough to crack someone's skull open. This is actually pretty useful for assassinations since unlike bows, poison, and the like it is actually pretty hard to link a thrown stone to a particular person and they are pretty subtle to carry.

Support magic meanwhile opens up a whole host of new options for Neianne. Healing is always in demand, is literally a matter of life or death, and an area our current squad is completely lacking in. Debuffs synergize well with Neianne's natural camouflage abilities by both letting her expand upon it and by letting her stealthily cast debuffs upon her foes.

Magic is also a nice choice as Neianne's secondary 'weapon' as it covers one of the big holes her current weapon has; endurance. Neianne's buster sword lets her deal massive damage but does leave her susceptible to fatigue, especially in a prolonged battle. However as far as I'm away magic doesn't draw upon the caster's physical stamina but their magic. So when Neianne gets fatigued she can fall back and begin casting.

Of the two types I would again say that support is preferable here since after fighting Neianne is going to be wounded and fatigued which healing magic should cover. Debuffs also make withdrawing easier since they can be used to augment Neiane's stealth capabilities. Plus from what we've seen debuffs and the like are a lot less flashy then offensive magic so are less likely to draw enemies into melee combat while Neianne is recovering her stamina.

Finally on a purely aesthetic note it helps amp up the already existing dissonance of Neianne's fighting style. She is currently the small, gentle, polite girl who uses a sword as big as she is to hack people/things to death. Throw in her being a medic/support mage, something you would expect someone like Neianne to be, and it makes the shock/surprise when she pulls out her buster sword all the sweeter. It actually gets even better when you realize lots of people seem to mistake her buster sword for a shield which is something you'd expect a support character, like Neianne appears to be, to have for defense while casting.

Oh and that last point reminded that Neianne would actually be quite capable of using her buster sword as a shield while casting. Yet another reason to go the path of the mage.
The quibble I have here is the ergonomics of carrying a staff and a buster sword, it gets pretty unwieldy on your back if you have to muck with both and as far as I know you need staves for healing/debuff.

The quibble I have here is the ergonomics of carrying a staff and a buster sword, it gets pretty unwieldy on your back if you have to muck with both and as far as I know you need staves for healing/debuff.
I'm fairly sure you do need a staff for healing/debuff. The question then is how big does the staff have to be? I would expect most people to have long staves since they can serve as a quarterstaff in a pinch but Neianne doesn't need that since in melee she could just use her buster sword. So we'd probably go for the smallest staff we could get away with. Hopefully one small enough for Neianne to carry it at her hip and thus avoid the awkwardness.

Also on this, people should read The Boyhood Deeds of Cú Chulainn. Kid does amazing things with an iron hurling ball.

IIRC, If we'd gone spear or polearm, merging the staff with our weapon's haft was an option.

Doesn't work as well with a Buster Sword, though.

Is it tome or staff magic that does battlefield control stuff like conjuring walls and freezing rivers for crossings?

IIRC, If we'd gone spear or polearm, merging the staff with our weapon's haft was an option.

Doesn't work as well with a Buster Sword, though.

Is it tome or staff magic that does battlefield control stuff like conjuring walls and freezing rivers for crossings?
You're talking about stuff that falls under the perview of Ice Magic so I'd say that would be Tome magic, myself.

Maybe we could get a support stave shaped like a lacrosse stick? Use it to cast spells and hurl rocks.

The real question is: just how big a rock can she throw?

"There's no way we can take that fort without siege weapons."
"it's fine, we have Neianne!"

The real question is: just how big a rock can she throw?

"There's no way we can take that fort without siege weapons."
"it's fine, we have Neianne!"
For taking down heavy stuff like walls/doors then maybe large stones are worth it but for targeting people you generally you want a palm sized stone. There is a reason baseballs (73mm) and cricket balls (72mm) are more or less the same size and other thrown balls such as tennis balls (67mm) are roughly similar sizes. The simple mechanics of the hand and the human body make it the ideal size for achieving the right balance of speed and accuracy. Plus smaller stones tend to be easier to find.

If we need to batter a gate down or breach a wall, we'd probably have better luck getting Elizabeth to do it.

If we need to batter a gate down or breach a wall, we'd probably have better luck getting Elizabeth to do it.
For now at least. Remember that while we are teammates and heading towards, if not already there, friends there are good odds that we'll all go our separate ways upon graduation. Especially since there will no longer be a war to band us together. Even if we stick together post graduation odds are it won't be forever.

I like the rationale for healing- is the buster sword large enough to carry a staff in a channel along the back side of the blade?

Still want us to go for staff. Here's a few more reasons to do so.

• Healing can be switched to when tired physically (i assume)
  • Allows us to choose our battlefield
    • Everyone needs healers, so we can opt to focus fights when in open space, against hordes, or large monsters
  • Close ranged, I assume we can use the staff to hit people. And with our strength? Well...
  • Healing is a good alternate money making gig or as our disguise
    • we fit the look of a healer better than buster sword weilder due to stature
  • Buster sword is as stated, easy to cover as something else if we bundle it enough, making us look even more harmless
  • Added edit point: Healing as secondary weapon makes us almost perfect in Warfare
    • By us frontlining the open field (if there is one), we can then switch to the backline as healer when city fighting restricts us too much
    • Us in the backline gives healers a bit more protections from sneak attacks

And the Coup de Gras?
  • I assume Healing is an EXCELLENT way to tame a dangerous monster.
    • Nightmare mount anyone?

Last edited:
I think the rationale for healing is pretty flawed. With the buster sword, our job is to be on the frontline and make the area within our considerable reach impassible to the enemy. If we stop to heal, now there's a big gap in the line. Healing is useful to be sure, but we're not an island. If we want something healed, then a healer in the backline can handle it.

I think the rationale for healing is pretty flawed. With the buster sword, our job is to be on the frontline and make the area within our considerable reach impassible to the enemy. If we stop to heal, now there's a big gap in the line. Healing is useful to be sure, but we're not an island. If we want something healed, then a healer in the backline can handle it.
Dryads are strong but dont have the staying power of humans. With us using a Buster sword, this is an even bigger concern.

Thats why first point (as stated by someone else as well) is in using healing during our "rest cycle" if a battle lasts long enough. This is also asuming healing doesnt require physical exertion (which QM still hasnt verified).

And on the other hand, this also segues well into my second point
Allows us to choose our battlefield
  • Everyone needs healers, so we can opt to focus fights when in open space, against hordes, or large monsters
not all battles are on open fields or against massive hordes. Choosing healing lets us be useful in most situations if we are in a group by letting the weapon users most capable handle the field work.

Dryads are strong but dont have the staying power of humans. With us using a Buster sword, this is an even bigger concern.

Thats why first point (as stated by someone else as well) is in using healing during our "rest cycle" if a battle lasts long enough. This is also asuming healing doesnt require physical exertion (which QM still hasnt verified).

And on the other hand, this also segues well into my second point
Yeah, we could do that, but any other healer could too.

not all battles are on open fields or against massive hordes. Choosing healing lets us be useful in most situations if we are in a group by letting the weapon users most capable handle the field work.
Something like, say, daggers, lets us be useful in other situations too, while also being more likely to come up when we're using our buster sword. If someone gets in too close or if we're disarmed of our buster sword, for example.

Something like, say, daggers, lets us be useful in other situations too, while also being more likely to come up when we're using our buster sword.
see here, what you are doing is going for a secondary or BACKUP weapon.

What I propose is to go for a secondary ROLE. Something which doesnt necessarily conflict with the main role of Buster Sworder.

Can we have weapons that also acts as catalysts for heals? We get a stabby knife while also being able to cast heals with it. It's a win-win.

With their plant-like physique, dryads are capable of exerting great bursts of energy, whether it be strength or magecraft.
I forgot about that, but it sounds like its not that well fit for support? Very easily offensive, but for healing unless you need to take someone back from the brink of dead, the extended battleplan of Supports plays counter to Dryad racial inclinations

I forgot about that, but it sounds like its not that well fit for support? Very easily offensive, but for healing unless you need to take someone back from the brink of dead, the extended battleplan of Supports plays counter to Dryad racial inclinations
considering we'd be playing medic on a battlefield, I don't think people near the brink of death are going to be all that uncommon. that said you are right, a dryad would probably be a better emergency medic than dedicated support unit. The healing might be extremely useful if someone near her gets injured as she can quickly bring them back up to full but that's not a support role.

Back