Soo... does the thread knows what secondary weapon does it want to pick?

I wonder what build is it aiming for...
I'm leaning pretty heavily towards bare fists both for diversity as a subweapon and because subclass Monk!Neianne makes me giggle.

An arming sword would be boring but probably even more practical.

Mostly against bows or magic. And though I am usually a proponent of polearms, we really don't need more unwieldy weapons.

Why not two of them?
If we can dual wield great swords, we can dual wield long knifes or normal swords...

Ah well, I guess that the instructors will probably tell us what weapons would be more usefull when we get there...

I think it would be more like there is a spell in every page, read it and the tome will cast the spell.

Just like a bunch of scrolls all together.

Well, who knows what might be available now with more experience. Or what the advanced variants are.

If dual daggers are there, I don't see any reason Cesti or Baghnakhs couldn't be, TBH.

As we plan our build, we also should take into account
the mecha we get near the end of the game.

I... don't think the given explanation says what you think it does?

I might not be parsing it correctly, but it seems like ice magic is being seen as - to use a D&D analogy - a Transmutation or Conjuration spell rather than an Evocation spell, and thus "of course" it wears off; whereas you (and I) are inclined to see it as simply water naturally returning to that state once the outside influence keeping it frozen is removed.

I have never played D&D (did not know enough tabletop roleplayers in meatspace), and thus suspect this won't be a great point of comparison. x_x

-breaks in-

Hey :o

Just taking time to congratulate you all on breaking 50 pages

Thanks~ I hope you're enjoying the quest.

When it says Tome, it means a book, right? Are we gonna smack some fools with a thick book? It works as a projectile too.

"Tomes" are a specific type of catalyst that allow for the casting of elemental-based offensive magecraft. There is a pretty intensive process that goes into creating tomes, because they have to be prepared with special types of paper (and, to a lesser extent, special types of ink); mages then read the incantation in a special way to basically "cast the spell off the tome" (very, very good mages can read incantations non-verbally). This requires several seconds of casting time which put mages at a disadvantage in direct melee range, unless they're thinking seconds in advance (sort of like what Aphelia did during Roldharen). It is also possible to "pre-load" spells in advance by reading an incantation and then holding off on the casting part, and this is a technique that isn't necessarily difficult in complexity (unlike nonverbal incantations), but easily creates a quasi-mental burden that can be described as "stitching up a wound while someone keeps yelling into your ear". Even if you can ignore that, "pre-loading" too many spells builds up mana in your existence in such a way that does bad things to both your mind and body.

Staves are the healing and de/buff equivalent.

Weeeeeeeeeeee! I have caught up! Mostly just read the updates except for the last dozen or so pages.

I was quite curiously confused when I realized that there was literally no men on this continent and setting, in part cause I'm a guy and expect guys in fictions with humies and elves and dryads and aseri are a thing. I remember reading the first few chapters @Kei and going "Uhhhhhh where...?" and I was uncomfortable as a writer trying to parse why you were writing this specific feature. The opening academy description scene with Dorothy had me going "Is it a girls academy, just... unspecified?" Then I saw it extended to more than that and actually put it down for a bit in order to think it over and talk to people. However, as should be obvious, I came back and can comfortably say that both this particular feature and how you've handled it is quite the powerful hook for me.

It's interesting watching the dynamic be played out quietly in the background.

On that note I actually have some feudalism/historical commentary on this last update in particular. From a lens found in a lot of cultures in the past(there are other lenses where the meaning of this changes), one could strongly argue that Elizabeth is basically grooming Neianne as a gift-slave of sorts? A person (Neianne) obligated to another person (Elizabeth) via the social obligation generated by gift giving, and taking that obligation to the point of indebting Neianne to Elizabeth because Neianne can't actually reciprocate to any meaningful degree beyond perhaps serving Elizabeth or saving her life. Theoretically an insult of basic trust building behavior and politeness, of sorts.

But it's Elizabeth, and it's kinda obvious she doesn't give a flying fig about stuff that gets in the way of what she wants to do beyond disappointed annoyance. Which leads me to my thoughts on the quality of your character writing, which I consider to be some of the best on SV along with Omicron. While I've had little chance to do much of my own writing due to schoolwork and make the next installment of my own quest, I can say that how you write characters is likely going to influence my own character writing, via how I think about them as characters. Of it all your dialog is

Now to the thread I must say. WHY SO LITTLE SIEGLINDE!? *bangs fist on table* More of the brunette lancer please and thank you! Also I must tilt my head at the strawpolls. They confuse my poor little shipping brain.

Last edited:
For a secondary...something ranged. Bow or tome personally. Anything getting close can eat giant metal board but we need a ranged backup

Defensively, sure. But we need proper offense in tight spaces. We need to be flexible at least if someone tries and gets us in a spot we can't swing that sword.

Edit: Have we ever asked Stephanie if she can set our sword on fire?
Impractical-Step wasn't surprised when her sword completely burnt up, suggesting if we did that we'd have to carry around multiple mass production swords instead of getting to have the GodSlayer as our weapon.
Now admittedly that might be down to doing a fire sword technique on a wooden training blade but still.

We don't have to stop at two weapons though, I think we can spring for a third if we really push for it.

We don't need a long range weapon because at its size the buster sword is our long range weapon. If we're talking practicality we want a smaller, closer range weapon.

Back