No, SV, You Are the Forest! (Riot Quest)

[X][Action] Attempt to store resources against future need. (General)

I will decide on the focus later.

[X][Action] Grow Empty Tree
Please don't. Currently growing further empty trees does not do anything*, with any potential utility probably depending on future researches**. Which is why you should instead grow a Tranquil tree or grow the forest. :)

* Except for clogging up precious special tree slots of course
**"Eventually" is pretty vague. Raising Kittens may have been referencing future research, rewards from pleasing the worm, a function unlocked after a set period of time or at higher magnitude, or maybe the super secret reward for crippling ourselves with 40 empty trees. Personally I favour the non 40 empty tree possibilities.

Edit: Fixed link

Last edited:
[X] [Tree] Root Tree

[X] [Action] Grow the Forest
[X] [Focus] Grow the Forest
[X] [Focus] Grow the Forest x2
[X] [Focus] Grow the Forest x3

I was going to join this before the hiatus but forgot about it. Glad to see it still lives.

[X][Action] Assist the Ingaba Research Base (General)

[X][Action] Attempt to store resources against future need. (General)
[X][Focus] Sacrifice to the Worm (???)
[X][Focus] Sacrifice to the Worm (???) x2
[X][Focus] Sacrifice to the Worm (???) x3

Completely changing my vote.

[X][Action] Expand the reach of the Forest, allowing it to gather resources from a larger area. (Magnetic)

[X][Focus] Research the Reflecting Tree (Crystal)
[X][Focus] Research Elder Trees (General)

[X][Action] Ask the Research Base about the Beast.
[X] [Focus] Grow Scoop Tree
[X] [Focus] Grow Scoop Tree x2

[x][Action] Grow Magnetic Tree
[x][Focus] Grow Scoop Tree
[x][Focus] Grow Scoop Tree x2
[x][Focus] Grow the Forest

So, looking at the turn 6 results update, actions seem to be roughly processed according to # of voters/vote tally order, with some oddities probably due to merging inconsistently formatted votes. The vote tally itself seems to sort according to # of voters and then chronologically as best I can tell?

So, general voting notes:

- We have sufficient people aiding the Ingaba with their research, feel free to research other things if you want to, since that is theoretically more efficient
- I would very much appreciate another one or two "Grow Tranquil Tree" votes, both to make completion more reliable, and beat out potential empty tree voters.

Fakedit:
[x][Action] Grow Magnetic Tree
Could I possibly convince you to grow tranquil tree instead please? It is more efficient usage of the last remaining special tree slot, because it provides on average, an extra success per ten mind tree research voters, to all research actions, while a single magnetic tree provides only a flat 1 success to one action, erecting shield.

Magnetic trees aren't bad, but tranquil trees are better, in terms of successes granted.

Last edited:
[X] [Action] Grow the Forest

Grow grow grow!!!

[X][Action] Grow Tranquil Tree

[X] [Focus] Grow Scoop Tree
[X] [Focus] Grow Scoop Tree x2

Expanding our range is likely to pass without my help now, particularly with the extra dice from our Hoop tree, so as an Elder Heart I'm willing to throw another couple of dice at guaranteeing our 40th tree to be a Tranquil type.

To anyone not using their focus, please reconsider! There are so many things we need right now like faster than light travel laser beams and more space for more ftl and more lasers!
Considering only the 3 focus actions with the most votes do anything and it doesn't matter how many people vote for them in terms of results, it doesn't really matter if everyone focus votes or not?

Important to keep in mind that each mag only gets us 10 slots. There should be research to improve this but that is far enough away that we can't guess the distance. Each magnitude is likely to be significantly more expensive than the last. So for the foreseeable future 50 is what we got.

We will certainly want a fourth Tranquil tree. The research bonus is unmatched. 1

Of the tree we are researching only Plasma and Hyper unlock new actions. Optical tree doesn't open an action but having an entirely different type of sensor seems incredibly advantageous. 3

That leave us with only six slots open for non-critical trees.

Important to keep in mind that each mag only gets us 10 slots. There should be research to improve this but that is far enough away that we can't guess the distance. Each magnitude is likely to be significantly more expensive than the last. So for the foreseeable future 50 is what we got.

We will certainly want a fourth Tranquil tree. The research bonus is unmatched. 1

Of the tree we are researching only Plasma and Hyper unlock new actions. Optical tree doesn't open an action but having an entirely different type of sensor seems incredibly advantageous. 3

The good thing is improving trees to Elder is a Growth action, so our Collector Focus bonus would apply to that.
Ideally, this means we can keep some space free for completely new trees, and just upgrade current ones if we want more of something.

My ideal Mag 4 additions:
- Laser Tree
- Hyper Tree
- Optical Tree
- Plasma Tree
- Shaping Tree
- Reflecting Tree
- Tranquil Tree
- Scoop Tree
- Collector Tree
- Collector Tree

Shaping Tree adds a scaling bonus per magnitude, which is nice, reflecting tree mostly to see what elder tree options it has.

My predicted Mag 4 additions:
- Empty Tree
- Empty Tree
- Empty Tree
- Empty Tree
- Empty Tree
- Empty Tree
- Empty Tree
- Empty Tree
- Empty Tree
- Empty Tree

:V

Last edited:
I don't think we need more Collector Trees at the moment?
Growing the forest is a never-ending enterprise*. Collector trees help with that, and would also help with growing Elder Trees.

Plus, if all focuses are growth, they just get more effective at higher magnitudes as we get more focuses. Collector trees are great.

*Until we reach the forestgrowing victory condition anyway.

Last edited:
Right, they are useful. I just don't think the two (six) more successes we get to our focus actions are worth our special tree slots at this point.

Right, they are useful. I just don't think the two (six) more successes we get to our focus actions are worth our special tree slots at this point.
It would be 8 succeses at Mag 4. See what I mean about becoming more effective at higher magnitudes? I think it is worth it. :)

Of course, you are free to disagree, but please just don't go for empty trees instead. :p

That wormhole is quite interesting. I wonder if we can use shortcuts in space in order direct different stars towards us.

Status (updated as of the most recent edit) of the major research initiatives this turn:

[ ][Action] Study the Wormhole (Gravity, Void)
-Attempt to discover what this is. Success allows for further study.
-Effect: Wormhole Theory obtained. New technologies unlocked.
-Requires 50 successes.

19 voters
3 Research Trees, 3 Elder Mind Trees, 12 Mind Trees, 1 Root Tree
52 dice

21 * 2 (Worm) * 1.2 (Tranquil) = 50 successes needed for completion
Probability of >= 21 successes: 93.7%
Marginal return: 2 extra dice raise the success chance to 96.2%, 4 extra dice to 97.8%
Assessment: Now at a very comfortable success chance. At this point, any new Mind Trees can just pick any research project of their choice. I'd personally recommend either Crystal Formation or Optical Trees, as they're the closest * tech to completion and the most immediately useful.

[ ][Action] Research Elder Trees (General)
-Some Trees have grown old indeed, and were old when the Forest was young... old when the Forest was last whole. Some measure of this experience can be distilled and incorporated into new and extant Trees, improving their skill at wielding their power. Unlocks upgrades to existing and future Special Trees, required for Tier Two trees, powers, and upgrades.
-Requires 50 Research successes. 31/50

7 Voters
2 Research Trees, 1 Elder Mind Tree, 4 Mind Trees
22 dice

8 * 2 (Worm) * 1.2 (Tranquil) = 19 successes needed for completion
Probability of >= 8 successes: 93.3%
Marginal return: 2 extra dice raise the success chance to 96.8%; 4 dice to 98.6%
Assessment: Also doing fine. Elder Trees are pretty important to have unlocked next turn, so Root trees are less inclined to waste slots on useless junk. Ideally, we want both Elder Trees and the Wormhole at >90%.

[ ][Action] Assist the Ingaba Research Base (General)
-This action works to pay off the Forest's side of the deal with the Ingaba Directorate. In order to not default on the Treaty, at least ten dice must be paid into this action every turn for ten turns.
-Effect: For each die paid into this Action, the Forest will obtain one success to the most voted for Research Action with an asterisk.

5 voters
1 Research Tree, 1 Elder Mind Tree, 3 Mind Trees
15 dice

Current leading * tech: Crystal Formation (4 voters, 11 dice, 40 successes to completion)
Probability of finishing project this turn: 0.05%
Marginal return: 10 extra dice to the research agreement increase the success chance to 27.4%.
10 extra dice to Crystal Formation instead raise the success chance to 50.0%

Assessment: Due to not benefiting from the Worm or Tranquil tree multipliers, the Ingaba research agreement is largely obsolete. Contributing beyond the bare minimum necessary to avoid defaulting on the treaty is only worthwhile if the tech in question is nearly done, to remove all random dice variance; we're better off just directly voting for an asterisk tech if there are >20 successes left or so. @T2E @Gnich, one of you can safely switch to another project.

Last edited:
@Sapient_Ham thanks for that! Helps lay things out clearly.

I will note than since the Ingaba bonus always applies to the most voted * research, the utility of using it to finish of a specific research is dubious.

I will further note that votes to finish off Optical are not a bad idea, so we have a new special tree to build on Mag 4

Last edited:
[X][Action] Soothe the Research Base to see what happens. (Psychic)

Last edited:
The narrative text of the turn implies we had spent some resources on increasing the shield strength, but that does not seem to be the case since no resources were subtracted?
In this case, it's referring to the dice put into the action by people who used the raise the shield action without us actually needing the shield raised before that point.

Which, as it turns out, was a good decision. Keep maintaining our shield Hearts! Admittedly we also need you to worship the worm (a task I as a growth tree can no longer really justify doing) and extend the forest's reach, but fortunately I'm pretty sure there's enough of you to do all 3!

Back