Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid

It's like the dub was produced by people who didn't like the anime they were dubbing...

Like they're trying to just radically change some characteristics of the characters for like no reason?
Hey guess what that is not what happened

In fact we know that's not what happened because the people who did it actually publicly said so

but people keep repeating this anyway as fact when it's not true

Here, an interesting rxplanation and exploration of the issue, timestamped 8:30

Basically, the person adapting the script for dubbing was fully aware that "But I'm a woman" is a clichéd phrase in Japanese yuri media to set up relationships and -- from another perspective -- to highlight the "absurdity" of same-sex romance, being used to enforce heteronormativity by making a woman hitting on another woman appear odd or weird. Kobayashi responding in such a bashful (and honestly kinda ignorant way, as if she particularly cared about what society thinks) could retrospectively feel out of character. Instead, she chose to use a phrase that made Kobayashi appear more decisive (which felt more in-character for Kobayashi) and also matched the number of syllables needed to match the lip flaps.

(Side note: the person who adapted that line also adapted the script for one of the most yuri series ever dubbed for North America, so accusing her of having a "straightwashing" agenda is a bit ridiculous)

So yes, there was a reason. An even very decent one, when you look at it from just a slightly different angle. Nevermind that the original work is sometimes also quite terrible about its issues -- hello, incredibly inappropriate behaviour towards a minor and putting dicks on people without their consent.

There's a lot of stuff to criticize the dubbing staff for, but claiming "hey it was done for no reason" isn't accurate. There was a reason, and it wasn't just "straightwashing". It also feels a bit absurd to accuse the dubbing staff of not liking the product they were working on. Making mistakes or errors of judgment does not equal dislike.

Last edited:
But Kobayashi always tries to avoid talking about her personal feelings and preferences and often relies on coasting on the social defaults whenever things take a turn she can't currently handle.

Personally I'm hoping for more development of the relationship between Takiya and Fafnir, but I am also aware it is probably even less likely than developing Kobayashi and Tohru.

Am I the only one here who wants to see the Illulu arc?

I actually want to see it too because Iruru has a very good character arc. But it seems she got cut from the anime.

I don't mind if they cut out some parts like her giving Kobayashi a thingy since that chapter didn't contribute anything that I could remember other than Iruru wanting to prove to herself that humans are bad, but you could honestly just make another arc in its place.

Yes?

I'm... very iffy that that CAN be animated in a tasteful way, basically.

I admit I'm not even sure Iruru herself can be animated in a tasteful way.

They were already stretching it with Lucoa, and now here's Iruru, who's a young teen with breasts just as large (or larger, depending on art).

The Kanna spinoff manga kind of raises Iruru's height to make it less weird, and the Elma spinoff seems like it reduces Iruru's breast size a bit. (Or maybe it was the other way around?)

I admit I'm not even sure Iruru herself can be animated in a tasteful way.

They were already stretching it with Lucoa, and now here's Iruru, who's a young teen with breasts just as large (or larger, depending on art).

The Kanna spinoff manga kind of raises Iruru's height to make it less weird, and the Elma spinoff seems like it reduces Iruru's breast size a bit. (Or maybe it was the other way around?)
Iruru isn't supposed to be tasteful necessarily. The idea is that she's shit at shapeshifting, so it's supposed to come off as offputting, even deformed.

Iruru isn't supposed to be tasteful necessarily. The idea is that she's shit at shapeshifting, so it's supposed to come off as offputting, even deformed.

She had dragon claws for hands when we first meet her. Afterwards when she tried to form hands she instead created some powerpuff hands that had thousands of little human hands on the surface.

Back