Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid

Elma and Tohru integrated into society in different ways with different legal ages. Doesn't correlate at all with their actual ages.

We do know Quetz is significantly older/more powerful. Since, you know, (ex-)goddess from like half a century ago.

E: I mean Lucoa. Wrong franchise abbreviation.

Last edited:
Elma and Tohru integrated into society in different ways with different legal ages. Doesn't correlate at all with their actual ages.

But the thing is that we don't actually know Tohru's age. We just know that Iruru is "not a child" anymore.

Also she says she's "16 (apparently)", meaning that it's probably not her age and just something that Tohru came up with to get her the job.

But the thing is that we don't actually know Tohru's age. We just know that Iruru is "not a child" anymore.

Also she says she's "16 (apparently)", meaning that it's probably not her age and just something that Tohru came up with to get her the job.
Tohru would have just given Iruru the same age that she has since doing otherwise would be needlessly complicated. Remember that this is about their legal age, not their actual age (because otherwise, the whole "don't lewd the dragon loli" thing wouldn't be an issue).

Last edited:
We do know Quetz is significantly older/more powerful. Since, you know, (ex-)goddess from like half a century ago.

E: I mean Lucoa. Wrong franchise abbreviation.

Grand Order Lucha Nee-san needs all the shine she can get :V

Also, the stated domestic age for characters is whatever would hit Japanese readers' kinks, so don't sweat it too hard :V

Tohru would have just given Iruru the same age that she has since doing otherwise would be needlessly complicated. Remember that this is about their legal age, not their actual age (because otherwise, the whole "don't lewd the dragon loli" thing wouldn't be an issue).
It's a forever-16 reference I think?

The manga is as the manga does, but for what it's worth, Tohru's legal age in the anime is at least twenty, given that she's shown drinking.

Aha, but the rules apply to Kyoto Animation, not Kobayashi lol. Generally speaking, while there's no issue with suggesting underage drinking (or smoking, incidentally) in anime and manga, you're not allowed to depict it directly.

Huh? I could've sworn I read/watched a handful of manga/anime where they had underaged minors drinking/smoking.

Barnes and Noble has at least up through Volume 4 (I was there yesterday and my store had 1, 3, and 4 in stock). Volume 5 comes out in November.

NANI!?

Huh? I could've sworn I read/watched a handful of manga/anime where they had underaged minors drinking/smoking.

If it was on the page or screen they might have been older, and you sometimes see some very mild exceptions to the rule (Satsuki and the Shitenno in Kill la Kill toast with sake at a critical point). However otherwise the rule is pretty strict. It's why the drinking party doesn't happen in the anime version of Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu, and there's even a joke about the law in Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun.

If it was on the page or screen they might have been older, and you sometimes see some very mild exceptions to the rule (Satsuki and the Shitenno in Kill la Kill toast with sake at a critical point). However otherwise the rule is pretty strict. It's why the drinking party doesn't happen in the anime version of Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu, and there's even a joke about the law in Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun.

Hmm... so is it just strictly "kids can't be shown drinking beer from cans or sake from cups?"

In Akashic Records one of the main girls gets drunk off of alcohol or something after the sports festival. I think Onani Master Kurosawa has one of the characters smoking on in the manga multiple times as well and she's a high schooler.

As a bit of an aside, when I went to Hal-Con a few weeks back I came across something...
I found a dragon loli.

Oh, and Lucoa too:

In terms of character design, it's gotta be...

Elma = Kanna > Tohru > Iruru > Lucoa > Fafnir

I really love Elma's character design. Her Seiyuu is also perfect.

Back