Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid

Me! Loving it so far. KyoAni is probably one of the most consistent studio's out there and they have yet to fail me.

Not sure if sticking to the Manga structure is to it's detriment or strength though.

This shows puts in one (very good) Dark Souls reference and the entirety Dark Souls fandom on Tumblr reblogs the video.

It's pretty smart use of pop culture I gotta say.

So episode 4 just came out. And it is the most fucking adorable thing ever. Exactly what I wanted! Just an episode dedicated to Kanna, best daughteru of 2017.

Episode 4 also dripped on some heavier themes of the series...

I find it interesting in the contrast between Kanna and Tohru. Kanna wants to be with humans because they are fun and it makes her happy, but being young and naive that she is she appears to have not completely grasped the idea that the lifespan of humans is but a drop in the ocean compared to that of dragons (Tohru I believe is at least 1000+ years old).

I always enjoy the moments that Tohru and Kanna have together, because it's really used to develop their relationship and their characters which is a huge plus instead of just using them for fanservice.

Also, props to the anime for including original content. I don't think the scene where they go shopping for Kanna's supplies is actually in the manga.

This shows puts in one (very good) Dark Souls reference and the entirety Dark Souls fandom on Tumblr reblogs the video.

It's pretty smart use of pop culture I gotta say.

The show has a bunch of hilarious references like DBZ and Naruto to name a few. Heck, they even have Harambe in the show.

Last edited:
Kanna is love. Kanna is life.

Repent Sinners! Let the Kamui wash the darkness from your souls with her adorableness!!!

BEST DAUGHTERU OF 2017!!!!!!!!

(currently suffering from Kanna withdrawal)

Last edited:
Dude, calm down, you're getting weird.

Anyway it's a comfortable show with great production that is variously funny and heartwarming. I will admit to having started watching the show because Kyoani doing one of those monster girl shows was very much a 'lol really' thing, but even before the show started it seemed clear that it would be kind of fresh - Kobayashi as the put upon human as opposed to some dude.

Then it turned out to be about the domestic life of a lesbian couple and their daughter. Even Kobayashi identifies herself as the husband to Tohru's wife lol

parappapapara paaparapaapara parapa~

Then we have dodge ball.

Dragons play hard. Also the most terrifying bouncing you will ever see. Poor kid might be terrified of women who are well stacked after that.

I do think that ball must be related to the one from touhou soccer

Then we have dodge ball.

Dragons play hard. Also the most terrifying bouncing you will ever see. Poor kid might be terrified of women who are well stacked after that.

I do think that ball must be related to the one from touhou soccer

It's explained in the manga that Tohru put a magic barrier around it.

Anyway it's a comfortable show with great production that is variously funny and heartwarming. I will admit to having started watching the show because Kyoani doing one of those monster girl shows was very much a 'lol really' thing, but even before the show started it seemed clear that it would be kind of fresh - Kobayashi as the put upon human as opposed to some dude.

Then it turned out to be about the domestic life of a lesbian couple and their daughter. Even Kobayashi identifies herself as the husband to Tohru's wife lol

In all seriousness, I do like some of the more deeper themes that are briefly hinted at in the show. There are small bursts of feels here and there, such as Kanna's attraction to Tohru and Kobayashi, which will likely be explained in another episode for those who haven't read the manga. I also enjoy the contrast in Tohru between her nature as a chaos dragon and her desire to live in peace among the humans (which can be brought into question at times lol), as well as the story showing Kanna's own naivety as a result of her desire to connect with people despite the fact that said people are but a blink in the lifetime of a dragon. One of the big themes of this show is loneliness, and I do like how all the dragons and humans come together to fill the voids in their hearts that would otherwise be left empty without one another.

Is it legit lesbians or just undertones again?

Not legit per se, but not really undertones, either. I don't think there's a lot of suggestion that Kobayashi is actually gay or even might be gay. It's just how it's coded as part of the comedy of domestic life.

Tohru is a dragon so I guess she's just into what she's into.
Ah alright, so it's not another Euphonium or too early to call? (Probably the latter.)

Ah alright, so it's not another Euphonium or too early to call? (Probably the latter.)

It's not like in Euphonium where the girls are clearly acting gay, but then the studio's like "NOPE! TOTALLY STRAIGHT LOL!".

It's more like Tohru's legit in love with Kobayashi, whereas Kobayashi hasn't really reciprocated those feelings yet. However, Kobayashi accepts their companionship because she's just really chill like that, but also because she herself has been a bit lonely. It's still left a bit open in the story, where Tohru's advances are played up as a recurring comedic gag, but there are scenes in the story where Tohru really shows that she's in love with Kobayashi. Additionally, it helps that there isn't really a male love interest at all whatsoever in the story for her to end up with. It's just her co-worker and fellow otaku.

It seems that from Kobayashi's side, she's still coming to terms with living with Dragons. The story seems to be progressing in the way of an actual relationship, with Kobayashi learning more and more about Tohru and the other dragons. However, Kobayashi seems to be totally enjoying her new life full of dragons and dragon shenanigans. Whether or not it turns into actual romance is yet to be seen, but I'm totally fine with it being just slice of life with dragons and stuff.

Last edited:
New episode out today. We get a lot of focus on Tohru and Kobayashi's relationship, as well as Tohru's experiences learning about humans. Seems like Kobayashi is slowly falling in love with Tohru as well.

Also lol Saikawa.

That said, I find Saikawa to be a bit of an endearing character herself. She has no friends, and because of this she acts out. Unfortunately this does nothing more than to ostracize her from her classmates. It also doesn't help that she's a bit of a weirdo in terms of personality, for reasons which we will find out later in the story without spoiling anything. In conclusion, she fits perfectly into the cast of lonely characters. I hope Saikawa gets a bit more character development later in the anime.

Also lol monopoly man as the magician.

Also lol Kung Fu Panda character cameos....

Also, I think I know why this show is so well-directed. The director in charge of Maid Dragon is a pretty heavy-hitter, having been the director of both the Haruhi series and Amagi Brilliant Park.

Last edited:
Back