MARSLORE: Tales from the Red Planet & Other Stories of Sol

It is very funny to imagine humanity's own War of the Worlds moment, or something like the historical lifespan of postings to Caribbean and West African factories and coastal forts, as just everything having LSD as part of the biochemical compounds in every cell. Also funny is the thought of the Venusians pulling a Na'vi with the entire ecosystem charging at the colonial forces, only for the bureaucrats back on earth to dismiss it all as hallucinations and reefer madness, while also very much not trying large-scale colonization again.

That is some CLASSIC sci-fi Venus, but it also feels very unique - deep-dreaming, hallucinagenic drugs, a utopic society. Very Frank Herbert of you. The eternal cloud cover really adds to the surreal nature of the planet, it's wild that Venusians never even bothered to study their own night sky until relatively recently. I hope we learn more about the Venusians themselves later!

It is very funny to imagine humanity's own War of the Worlds moment, or something like the historical lifespan of postings to Caribbean and West African factories and coastal forts, as just everything having LSD as part of the biochemical compounds in every cell. Also funny is the thought of the Venusians pulling a Na'vi with the entire ecosystem charging at the colonial forces, only for the bureaucrats back on earth to dismiss it all as hallucinations and reefer madness, while also very much not trying large-scale colonization again.

"These molecules of hallucination have taken toll of Venusians since the beginning of things—taken toll of our prehuman ancestors since life began here. But by virtue of this natural selection of our kind we have developed resisting power; to no psychedelics do we succumb without a struggle, and to many—those that really, really make you trip balls, for instance—our living frames are altogether immune. But there are few hallucinogens in Terra, and directly these invaders arrived, directly they drank and fed, our psychoactive allies began to work their overthrow. Already when I watched them they were irrevocably doomed, freaking and flipping the f**k out even as they went to and fro. It was inevitable. By the toll of a billion bad trips man has bought his birthright of Venus, and it is his against all comers; it would still be his were the Terrans ten times as mighty as they are. For neither do men live nor die in vain."

"These molecules of hallucination have taken toll of Venusians since the beginning of things—taken toll of our prehuman ancestors since life began here. But by virtue of this natural selection of our kind we have developed resisting power; to no psychedelics do we succumb without a struggle, and to many—those that really, really make you trip balls, for instance—our living frames are altogether immune. But there are few hallucinogens in Terra, and directly these invaders arrived, directly they drank and fed, our psychoactive allies began to work their overthrow. Already when I watched them they were irrevocably doomed, freaking and flipping the f**k out even as they went to and fro. It was inevitable. By the toll of a billion bad trips man has bought his birthright of Venus, and it is his against all comers; it would still be his were the Terrans ten times as mighty as they are. For neither do men live nor die in vain."

The invaders were brought down by the humblest of God's creatures - psilocybin.

To be fair to the poor Terrans, Venusians ride dragons into battle and have detachments of paragliding archers and musketeers. Any military commander would probably be pretty incredulous.

That is some CLASSIC sci-fi Venus, but it also feels very unique - deep-dreaming, hallucinagenic drugs, a utopic society. Very Frank Herbert of you. The eternal cloud cover really adds to the surreal nature of the planet, it's wild that Venusians never even bothered to study their own night sky until relatively recently. I hope we learn more about the Venusians themselves later!

I have to imagine that when almost everything in your planet glows, stuff in the sky glowing occasionally gets a lot less interesting.

To be fair to the poor Terrans, Venusians ride dragons into battle and have detachments of paragliding archers and musketeers. Any military commander would probably be pretty incredulous.
wait son of a bitch, Venusians are just Ewoks! Ewoks who are also Lotus-Eaters, but Ewoks nevertheless!

I have to imagine that when almost everything in your planet glows, stuff in the sky glowing occasionally gets a lot less interesting.
Along with night time not being something that happens every year (technically); along with just the perpetual cloud cover, intense rains, volcanoes, atmospheric pressure making it even harder to see anything — just a lot of compounding reasons, really.

Can't even point to trade/travel or religion like on earth which has helped motivate an interest in the heavens; it's either disinteresting or hostile to any of those fields that would he focused around understanding it. Can't try and chart by the northern star if the stars are only out during a part of the year where everything in the world wants to go to sleep and you're supposed to stockpile for a few months of planetwide Antarctica.

Life on Venus sounds a tough deal, and I can't say it sounds surprising that they are in the blurry line of the false tree that is tech development ("Are they industrialized?" "………… How do you wanna define that, because I don't wanna go there."), even if for very different reasons then what are discussed in said thread — can't really get wildly 'advanced' on a briader wcale when everyone is just toing a balance to keep together (and thats before the obvious and likely severe tensions between various city-states trying to keep their real estate on what's Certainly Not Inhospitable Land, but sure not ideal). No surprise that the kingdoms that be are staunchly condensed and thorough in giving out their supplies (which reminds me of the Incan Realm of Four Parts, and their fascinating economic model), trying to hoard any further would guarantee death as a night that outlives a Venusian Harvest Year.

Does seem to be a trend of this 'verse; climates leading to stranger, weirder, colder worlds and just trying to huddle through it. On the bright side though, at least Venus isn't as fucked as Mars.

… Yet

Last edited:
The synthesis of narcotics and psychedelic drugs from Venusian biochemistry and organic compounds has become a profitable black market industry. Organized crime maintains a significant presence in the Venusian sector, working through intermediaries to collect and sell large quantities of Venusian drugs.
My dealer: got some straight gas 🔥😛 this strain is called "Venus syndrome" 😳 you'll be zonked out of your gourd 💯

Me: yeah whatever. I don't feel shit.

5 minutes later: dude I swear I just saw some aliens in the forest

My buddy Phillip pacing: the great houses are lying to us

My dealer: got some straight gas 🔥😛 this strain is called "Venus syndrome" 😳 you'll be zonked out of your gourd 💯

Me: yeah whatever. I don't feel shit.

5 minutes later: dude I swear I just saw some aliens in the forest

My buddy Phillip pacing: the great houses are lying to us

Just be careful - if you drop Venusian drugs too many times or visit the planet too often, you'll end up wearing a Dune-esque mask that administers what is basically aerosolized LSD directly into your nose.

Can't even point to trade/travel or religion like on earth which has helped motivate an interest in the heavens; it's either disinteresting or hostile to any of those fields that would he focused around understanding it. Can't try and chart by the northern star if the stars are only out during a part of the year where everything in the world wants to go to sleep and you're supposed to stockpile for a few months of planetwide Antarctica.

Very much reminds me of the third Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy book. Paraphrasing, a song goes "the two lovers met at night, above the ground..." The sky does not register culturally at all, or if it does it's something like the Biblical firmament. A barrier, a roof to the world, beautiful in its ever-shifting, ever-present nature.

Antarctica may give the wrong impression. IRL Antarctica is caused by the thermal isolation of the continent by strong sea currents, while here you'd get a pretty good transfer of heat from the bright side to the dark side by the thick atmosphere. Perhaps the closer parallel is the US Midwest, or Siberia. Lots of water, but not in the form of oceans. Big extremes of temperature, but never permanent ice.

EDIT: Three months is also not a particularly long time for this kind of heat cycle, shorter than our own seasonal cycles. Seasonal cycles in the outer solar system can last decades or centuries. Less time spent in an climate extreme means it doesn't get as extreme.

RANDOM THOUGHTS: Good luck building infrastructure in this kind of climate. Between the hot day and the cold night, rails buckle, roads crack and burst, canals run over their banks with floodwater. The local nature of government is not just a species preference, it is a reaction to the fact that any kind of permanent structure or project needs continual attention and repair. It's a theory IRL for why Mesopotamia and China developed strong, but numerous states. Mars is more like Central Asia or the US Southwest. If you build something, it'll last a very long time. The ecosystem is fragile, but easy to supplement. Too easy, for an industrial state...

The Aral Sea, declining over time.

Wonder how fungus would do in such an environment. We take rot for granted, but it didn't exist on Earth until after the Carboniferous, its existence is what led oil to develop instead of coal. The yeasts and molds humans bring with them without thinking could be a quite severe invasive species.

The wet, volcanic conditions could also contribute to the cyclical nature of their history. We don't have much in terms of original written records from the Roman period outside of Egypt because papyrus falls apart in humidity. Records found in Italy, France, etc. are what people thought important to copy onto parchment or bronze, or to keep in the oral tradition. Egypt with its dryness is an excellent preservation environment even if you don't try. Venus inevitably loses or reinterprets its past, while Mars can remember (and hold grudges) forever...

Last edited:
Antarctica may give the wrong impression.
It does, because I realize I gave off the wrong element of it 😅 Didn't bring up Antarctica because "cold, ice", since Venus by all accounts isn't an iceball but possessing a decently varied (if angling to colder, like taigas or steppes) biosphere; brought it up for the months of just pure cold night. Which admittedly, many other places in the world I could have more reasonably pointed at. Many of them countries or parts of countries that are inhabited year-round, even (Hi Alaska). But videos of research stations in Antarctica on my brain, and alas, biases a bias.

It does, because I realize I gave off the wrong element of it 😅 Didn't bring up Antarctica because "cold, ice", since Venus by all accounts isn't an iceball but possessing a decently varied (if angling to colder, like taigas or steppes) biosphere; brought it up for the months of just pure cold night. Which admittedly, many other places in the world I could have more reasonably pointed at. Many of them countries or parts of countries that are inhabited year-round, even (Hi Alaska). But videos of research stations in Antarctica on my brain, and alas, biases a bias.

I'd recommend checking out Green Antarctica on alternatehistory.com. At its best it was a mixture of speculative evolution, speculative anthropology, and some strong vignettes. Later on the more grimdark, Lovecraftian influences overpowered it and it lost all coherence as a setting. From engrossing to just plain gross.

This TL reminds me of that one's better half.

Last edited:
We got a new graphic, that's really cool! Also I sometimes forget how the solar system is kind of a capitalist hellscape until I read things like 'landing on Venus can void your life insurance policy'. I mean it makes sense, but still. I like how Venus contrasts with Mars in mythically resonant ways - while Mars is a warlike and desolate planet, Venus is seemingly peaceful and superhabitable. Inviting to a fault, given the lotus-eater type effect it seems to have on people. I feel like the constant rain or mist, the lack of moon or seasons, the long day and night, etc. all reinforces the kind of siren-like hold that this planet has on people, as I think it'd be very difficult to tell how long you've been there intuitively or physically. The fact that many things glow too helps sell the psychedelic vibe - and I'd never heard of Venus's 'ashen light' until now, nifty!

I have to imagine this is the worst place to feel depressed at though, because it'd be hard to feel motivation for things when it's difficult to discern how much time has passed and when your surroundings are never-changing. This is probably why Venus is so comparatively culturally and technologically static when compared to Mars or Earth. Speaking of Earth, strange to think that our first contact with Venus was centuries ago in this setting, so much so that they've formed a distinct cultural group on Venus. I wonder how they interact with the black market and organized crime rackets going on in the planet? I also enjoyed the travel advisory about political extremists and fugitives, I have to imagine there's like a colony of this setting's equivalent of Forty-Eighters. Maybe Mi-Ka and her followers went into exile here? It's fun to imagine at least.

Overall, another great update, you should be proud of your work on this so far! =)

I sometimes forget how the solar system is kind of a capitalist hellscape until I read things like 'landing on Venus can void your life insurance policy'. I mean it makes sense, but still.

I like details like this because it grounds the universe and makes it feel accessible. You can go to Venus, but it voids your insurance policy. You can own your own spaceship, but it gets repossessed if you miss your loan payments.

I feel like its not exceedingly unusual for that repo man/bounty hunter to be like a bigger Spacer scab contracted out by the powers that be to acquire the vessel to either integrate in their own decently sized squadron or auction it off or do some complex scummy Finance Stuff(tm) selling it back to those Spacers with ever more debt. Nor do I feel like it would be drastically any more unusual for those auctions to be firmly peopled by those selfsame Spacer communities leaving the bidding at exactly one bent penny, to be sold back to the victimized operator for the same sum.

Imagine being the poor schmuck who has to repossess what is more or less a custom-built ISS module.

It's just not feasible to track someone down across an entire solar system, when it can take months or years to get anywhere. I was thinking out the details of this and I feel the options are:
  1. Conventions where deadbeat spacers are barred from using any legitimate port. Increase the pressure to where they have to come in willingly.
  2. Make some kind of offer that is too good for the poor guy to pass up, arrest them the moment they step out of the can.
  3. "It's really a tragedy, officer. The War of the Worlds did leave so much debris out here. Just the wrong route at the wrong time. Now, as the main creditor we do hold the salvage rights, so..."

It's just not feasible to track someone down across an entire solar system, when it can take months or years to get anywhere. I was thinking out the details of this and I feel the options are:
  1. Conventions where deadbeat spacers are barred from using any legitimate port. Increase the pressure to where they have to come in willingly.
  2. Make some kind of offer that is too good for the poor guy to pass up, arrest them the moment they step out of the can.
  3. "It's really a tragedy, officer. The War of the Worlds did leave so much debris out here. Just the wrong route at the wrong time. Now, as the main creditor we do hold the salvage rights, so..."

We're told that straying from major spacelanes is really dangerous and Spacers rarely do it, so I think #1 is closest to what happens - just camp out at a spaceport and wait for the guy to eventually come along so you can nab him.

Same vibes as a lot of old school nautical criminal proceedings I think, of like embassy consuls and corporate factors being physically at the major ports space stations observing the comings and goings and essentially being a mini version of a head office all by themselves, while there's a parallel track of specific taskforces being sent in and out as like a British anti-piracy squadron or like a major VOC convoy bearing the flag of an actual stakeholding director or something, and the two are more or less cooperating in trying to suppress Malaysian piracy or stop Brazilian smuggling of fresh African slaves or burn to ashes an indigenous free port uncontrolled by colonial dependencies and refusing to comply with the dictats of euro merchants or etc...

The patrols keep open crime out of the targeted spacelanes while they are patroling, for the short high intensity campaigns they're able to temporarily will a customs regimen into being and grab a few juicy prizes, while the smugglers/hijackers/indenture runaways and debt-bounties are forced to play dead and survive off of any fat they have, where they can get themselves caught overstaying on their dodgy papers and have their ships seized upon a second look. With such prize courts and commercial tribunals and indeed overall campaigns of station-based informants and bully boys and fleet-based boarding actions, having a very hit-or-miss chance of really bagging the lot and securing mass sentences to the penal colonies.

Same vibes as a lot of old school nautical criminal proceedings I think, of like embassy consuls and corporate factors being physically at the major ports space stations [continues]

Naval practice is still just based so much on squeezing people the moment they head out of their home waters. It's staggering to look into.

EDIT: God, thinking about this specific setup more it feels like it'd make a good tycoon game.

Last edited:
Martian religions: Arunism
Arunism

Arunism is a religious and philosophical tradition which emerged in Syrtis Major on Mars during the 9th century. The faith's central figure is Arun, the Sabaean goddess of love [1]. It is the most common Martian religion today; roughly 700 million Martians, just over half the world's population, describe themselves as Arunists. It is also the youngest of the major Martian religions.

Arunism has been described variously as either monolatric or dualistic. Adherents generally reserve worship and veneration for Arun alone, but recognize the existence of many gods, spirits, and other divine beings. The religion developed out of Sabaean polytheism, the ancient religion of the Ruuknan, and Anharith traditional religion, an ethnic faith of Isidis. Its doctrines and practices largely descend from the Maatist school of priestly memorists, who were exiled from the City of Miir as apostates in 559.

Historians debate the exact origins of Arunism. Sole worship of Arun has been traced to east Sabaean and Anharith goddess cults as early as the 1st century. During the collapse of Old Anharinan in the 8th century, apocalyptic movements became popular. Avidah, a Maatist memorist, made a number of prophecies in 792 that became the basis of the religion's early written and psychic tradition. The faith spread rapidly through the world after becoming the de facto state religion of the First Triumvirate. During the Golden Age of the Ruuknan, Arunism developed into an organized, centrally governed religious body; today, it is highly decentralized, allowing for broad autonomy both for its places of worship and individual followers.

Modern scholars of religion describe Arunism as a broad spectrum of closely interrelated faith groups rather than a single entity. Multiple schools and branches of Arunism co-exist, often incorporating local spiritual beliefs and teachings. Martians, particularly Sabaeans, do not have an exclusive view of religious groups. Practicing Arunists often participate in other religious simultaneously. In the aftermath of first contact and colonization, a great deal of syncretism with earthly religions has become common in urban centers.

Background

Anharith tradition religion, Arunism's predecessor in Syrtis Major and Isidis, comprised the collective customs, folklore, laws, and spiritual rituals of the Anharith nations. This is one of many ways that the Anharith are culturally and socially distinct from the other nations of the Ruuknan. During the 7th century, Anharith religion was an organized faith run by a holy order of nomadic priests and psychics. They emphasized the veneration of gods, spirits, and certain legendary heroes, taught strict observance of divine laws, and led groups of faithful in psycho-spiritual rituals.

According to legend [2], the Anharith people's ancestors lived in a mythical queendom in Sabaea, the location of which is today unknown. Many enterprising Martian spiritualists have embarked on adventures into the desert in the hopes of finding this lost homeland - to little success. Around three thousand years ago, this region was conquered by the Empire of Shiian. The Empress is said to have executed, kidnapped, or hypnotized the ruling dynasty, razed the major cities, and sought to assimilate the rural population. Those who wished to maintain their traditions were forced into exile.

Anha, the mythical last princess of the realm, led the clans in exile across the Sabaean deserts to the Marshes of Isidis, where they settled. Her daughters founded a unified queendom of all the clans, today called Old Anharinan. This queendom, which first reliably appears in the historical record 2600 years ago, survived several major crises and political upheavals. It remained undisturbed by Shiianic imperialism or by the wars of succession which followed the imperial dissolution.

However, beginning in the year 715, Old Anharinan began to unravel due to various cultural and political differences between the clans and factions of the Anharith.

Beliefs & Cosmology

Arunists believe in an omnibenevolent, transcendent, and all-seeing deity, Arun. In more polite circumstances, she may be referred to as the Goddess. Arun is an Anharith reflex of a more ancient Sabaean deity, who Sabaeans identified as one of the 9 Great Divinities of their polytheistic religion. In Arunism, she is held to be the supreme ruler of a divine hierarchy in which many spiritual entities participate. Arunists do not consider her a creator deity, nor do they hold she was the first ruler of this spiritual realm; they believe she rules on behalf of a primordial and incomprehensible creator, referred to only as the One. Arun is generally held to be feminine, though many Arunists – particularly mystics – believe she has multiple aspects, some of which are aligned to other genders.

In mainstream religious Arunism, all gods and spirits are divinely bound, subservient to Arun, and unable to resist her divine will, being inextricably part of her domain. In dualistic Arunism, they are legally subservient to Arunism, but able to rebel and act of their own accord, inevitably becoming opposed to her. These branches of Arunism have many sacred rituals for warding of these rebellious gods and spirits. Arunists believe in many categories of spiritual entities, each being of a different discrete rank, role, and form. Mystical Arunists have devoted centuries of religio-psychic study to these beings.

While human religions often believe gods, spirits, and other divinities dwell in heaven, Martian religions often have their divinities reside within the mind. Martian philosophy and spirituality has long described the mind as a point of connection between the physical world and the 'world of the gods.' This is also true in Aruism, and mystics have produced spiritual maps of the divine world. Arunist religious texts hold that some of these beings appear to physical beings to communicate revelations from Arun or her attendant deities. It is said that these revelations, and the actions of Arun's holy people – consecreated priests, prophets, and memorists – reveal the wisdom and desires of Arun.

In addition to religious and spiritual Arunism, the faith system spawned many schools of philosophy. Some groups conceive of the Goddess as more deistic or pantheistic; some forgo true belief in her divinity entirety in favor of Arunist ethics, which to this day forms the basis of moral philosophy on the Red Planet. Human scholars have compared these viewpoints to earthly secular humanism. Philosophical or cultural Arunists often still participate in religious rituals, further complicating efforts to categorize Martian religions views.

Maatism's influence on Arun veneration

Many of the Maatist school of memorists, descended from Maatiya and her followers, settled in the Anharinan after their exile. The City of Miir had outlawed and expelled the Maatist school, which had been accused of - among other things - denying the divinity of Sin Shiian, advocating psychic individualism, worshiping false gods, willful misinterpretation of memories, and improper treatment of holy relics. The Maatists were proponents of individual rights, psychic privacy, and parental rights for circle spouses. In addition, they strongly disapproved of telepathic thralldom and imperial deification.

Many of these beliefs came to influence Arunism both philosophically and spiritually. A major Maatist ritual, the transferring of memories on one's deathbed, became an important death rite for Arun-worshipers.

See main article: Maatism

Practices

Arunists do not appear to have a strict doctrine of the afterlife. Some branches of Arunism believe in reincarnation, but the majority appear to believe in a permanent death of one's individual experience; it is assumed – as with many Martian religions – that death is followed by a person's rejoining of the original whole-mind which comprised Martian sentience before the dawn of civilization.

Superstitions around death endure, and Arunists generally cremate their dead. In a typical Arunist funeral, the deceased is wrapped in a death shawl and burned on a pyre. The shawl is usually blue or purple, colors of divinity and nobility. They may also be cremated in a kiln or other chamber, especially if the deceased is of lower social status. Martians, especially Sabaeans, believe that the soul or spirit of a dead person may be trapped within their body if their body is not burned. Ashes are not kept in urns or any other container, but are instead allowed to scatter to the wind after the funeral service.

Adherents may worship privately in household altars, communally at clan-specific shrines, or in public shrines built in major cities. Since the industrial revolution, public worship with those of other clans has become more common due to radical changes to the traditional way of life. Public shrines are staffed by priests, memorists, and monks. Each of these individuals are consecrated according to ancient Sabaean tradition, being anointed with sand. In ancient times – and among very fundamentalist religious groups – this rite was achieved by the complete immersion of the seeker into desert sand. Modern practices usually involve pouring sand over the face of the individual, or drawing runes with sand on their bare skin.

Worship consists of auditory or telepathic chanting, silent prayers led by a priest, rituals incorporating water. Often, water is used as a sacrificial offering to the Goddess or one of her attendant spirits. Drinking water is considered the greatest offering possible in Sabaean culture, probably because of its relative rarity. In other rituals, practitioners drink water communally, sharing the same goblet or receiving their own goblets and taking water from a collective bowl.

In Arunist weddings, special shawls are worn and psychic rituals between the newlyweds are conducted by a religiously-ordained memorist. Salvationist ideas in Arunism focus less on predictions of an afterlife and more on the redemption of the world as a whole, through divinely-inspired morality and good works. Some have incorporated ideas from Salvationist Shiianism, suggesting that Arun will incarnate corporeally in the world once it has been purified through her laws and teachings.

History of Early Arunism

As the Old Queendom entered its decline, several memorists began preaching of an imminent apocalypse and reshaping of the world, at the same time mingling with early adopters of the sole veneration of Arun. Avidah, a memorist from the city of Soruu, south of Deshanor, began worshipping Arun in 775. She began to orally teach her students and followers, the Avidians, a combination of ethical precepts, political ideas, and salvationist theology. She experienced psychic visions and became adept at sharing, transferring, and interpreting memories. At her command, her followers documented her teachings and ideas, as well as a number of prophecies she is said to have discovered through visions. These prophecies are still popularly sold in Martian bookstores, usually with some reference to current events.

Her followers, armed with the recently-invented technology of printing, spread her message far and wide. In 792, she began to prophesize the imminent collapse of the united queendom. The Queen of Old Anharinan, Raan Kiya, ordered the dispersal of her followers and called for Avidah's execution. She and her closest students were kidnapped; after resisting telepathic conditioning, they were burned at the stake [3] as an example.

In 795, a mob of dissidents deposed Raan Kiya from the Obsidian Seat in Deshanor, and her body left to rot in the sand dunes outside the city. However, when no ruler could earn the support of the councils, Old Anharinan collapsed into many warring factions, with the queens in Deshanor having no power over them. Amid this new political decentralization, Arunism emerged as a new religious movement in the 820s and 830s, synthesizing old Avidian ideas with the Anharith traditional faith.

This new religion was popular with the laity, as opposed to memorists or any form of clergy; instead, a kind of all-believers priesthood emerged, preaching to all nations of the Anharinan. They combined the Anharith faith's customs and laws with Avidian precepts, recontextualizing them as the divinely-revealed mandates of Arun. The old gods, spirits, and mythic heroes of the Anharith remained. They became subservient divinities, the sacred attendants and messengers of Arun herself, venerated only with Arun's blessing.

The early Aruunists eschewed the shrines, temples, or holy houses which later became integral to the faith. Instead, priests adopted a nomadic lifestyle, performing their duties in the old tradition of the Anharith religion. This helped to rapidly expand the faith's appeal. By the twelfth century, Arunism had become the Anharinan's majority religion; many provinces bordering the cultural region converted to the faith as well. At the same time, Aruunism was also becoming more centralized - at the apex of this trend, the faith became more centralized than it is today. Adherents developed an organized system of religious orders, a priesthood of primary authority in the City of Deshanor, and even theodemocratic bodies governing the religion's written tradition.

Beginning in the 1220s, the industrialization and the outbreak of the Unification Wars had dramatic and cumulative effects on the religion.

See main article: The First Triumvirate.

[1] Arun's domain has also been characterized as passion, beauty, mercy, etc.
[2] Historians acknowledge that all accounts regarding the foundation of the old Queendom of the Anharith are steeped in legend, mythology, and willful ideological distortion. Some of the myths may yet contain historical facts; it is known that Sin Shiian led brutal conquests on many now-forgotten realms of the Ruuknan, dispersing or slaughtering disloyal nations. The legend of the founding may be inspired by an oral tradition which refers back to these events.
[3] While this mode of execution appears extremely barbaric to many human cultures, death by burning was - and largely still is in conservative, religious cultures - a more compassionate method than most others available, because it purifies and releases the soul of the condemned.

Zoroastrian Daoism but as devoted to Anahita/Xi Wangmu, but also in the cities syncretized with whatever ungodly formulations the Jesuits cooked up to try and make Catholicism compatible with and also superseding traditional Martian religions. I guess the Virgin Mary gets an even more redoubled place in Martian dioceses?

Oh wait damn, in the Ruukan context, the immaculate conception of Jesus takes on entirely different connotations, truly the religion of the poor and the slave and the unclean. Which is exactly what those Terran dogs are, once the True Empress reclaims the Obsidian Throne!

Really enjoying how original this religion feels- alien yet familiar at the same time.

On another note; it's interesting that OTL place names for Mars are used, i.e. Syrtis Major. Is this a deliberate comment on the author's biases?

Oh wait damn, in the Ruukan context, the immaculate conception of Jesus takes on entirely different connotations, truly the religion of the poor and the slave and the unclean

Good point! I'll be very interested to hear more about the Martian reaction to Christianity

This feel like a real religious history, but it's not a one-to-one parallel with anything on earth despite having the depth of Earth history. i dont know how you do that consistently, you have a real knack for it.

It's interesting that around half of the Martian population belongs to a common religion, in contrast to Earth where the largest religion has less than a third of the population adhering to it. This isn't to say you don't do a good job of showing diversity in Martian belief and society - in fact I'm rather impressed on by the nuances here from the complex network of pre-modern religions that collectively gave rise to the faith to Maatism and philosophical Arunism (which I'll get more into). However the dominance of Arunism, in conjunction with the Triumvirate's political dominance, suggests to me that Martian geography (namely, the planet being half as big in land area and with less habitable land) gives rise to more cultural homogeneity.

Speaking of homogeneity, the Empire of Shiian sounds horrifying. Just slowly assimilating everyone, "advocating psychic individualism" being a crime under that Empress being particularly chilling. However, knowing more about Martian religion, it makes sense. It seems like Sin Shiian was attempting to manifest the primeval whole-mind by uniting the contemporary world mentally, in the same way that some fundamentalist Christians attempt to hasten the foretold second coming. I would have to wonder too if the primeval whole-mind and the primordial and incomprehensible creator deity known as the One are in fact, the same entity in Martian theology? I also find Arunist cosmology has much in common with Abrahamic mysticism like Gnosticism and Kabbalah, with a complex divine hierarchy in which participants within have different gendered aspects and the chief godhead has a relationship to a more distant and impersonal creator. You also see something interesting in that Martian societal structures and hierarchy are reflected in their religion - it's perfectly easy to imagine Arun as both a circle for a center of deities as well as an Empress over many vassals.

Also, as I said I'll get to it - I really like philosophical or cultural Arunists as a faction! They remind me of how many people in China and Japan participate in Buddhist and Shinto rituals despite describing themselves as non-religious or secular, and I have to wonder if there are similar challenges to performing comprehensive and accurate censuses of belief among Martians. As for the Maatists, they seem pretty cool, veritable progressives in comparison to their contemporaries when it came to individual rights. It's also neat that despite or perhaps because of having stronger safeguards for psychic privacy, they originated the memory-transferring rituals.

The death burial practices of the Arunists are fascinating - I have to imagine mummification is a typical (given the desert climate) and horrific means of burying the dead dishonorably. (One wonders what the Martians make of the ancient Egyptians.) It also makes complete sense with a theology that presupposes Martians are psychic participants and inheritors of a whole-mind. Another thing that makes sense is the ritual importance of sand and water - although a lot of these ritual practices involving being buried under sand or having it poured over your face sound kind of awful haha?

Avidah is nifty, a love a good predictor of things - I bet people point to some obscure prophecy of hers and are like, "See?? She predicted the humans!" or "She clearly foretold the assassination of the Empress", etc. I bet there's quite a few fake prophecies as well attributed to her.

I also think it's neat how early Aruunists were nomadic - a great alternate way of proselytizing that eschews the traditional missionary model that I think a more parallelist work would've used.

Overall, this was a fantastic update that I had been eager to see personally, and I think you did a great job in providing rich development and complex shades of nuance to the spiritual life of Martians.

Back