Let's Read: David Weber's Honor Harrington

Well, that seems to be a very modern Royal Navy take on the problem.
Not really, David seems to have decided that exactly re-creating the Royal Navy that existed in the Napoleonic Wars wouldn't work so he made something that simply looks like. A similiar example that isn't likely to get me in trouble is the 90's movie Pearl Harbor, where the sexism and racism where turned way down, probably to avoid offending people.

so it's really more like Derek Smart's battlecruiser.

Absolutely savage.

Well, that seems to be a very modern Royal Navy take on the problem.
The US military is a bit odd in not allowing officially sanctioned (and much more easily monitored) drinking.

In practice, most modern navies are dry when actually at sea, including the RN. The Age of Sail rum ration was so watered down that an attempt to get drunk would just result in an urgent need to urinate.

The Honor Of The Queen: Chapter 32
Chapter 32 begins with Sword Simonds, who has just spent the last twelve hours or so trying to override the command lockout. He muses that they have no option but to carry on with their attack, as seizing the ship constitutes an act of war on Haven, and facing both them AND Manticore isn't exactly a thrilling prospect. As the saying goes, in for a penny, in for a pound.

His tactical officer appears to be "obsessed" with "gravity anomalies," which he obviously thinks are nothing important. Looks like he'll be getting a nasty surprise shortly...

On that note, we cut to the Fearless, where Honor asks one of her subordinates how likely it is the Thunder/Saladin will pick up their gravity pulses.

We then cut back to Simonds, whose tactical officer has just detected two impeller signatures.

Simonds clenched his jaw and scrubbed at his bloodshot eyes. How? How had the bitch done this?! That course couldn't be a coincidence. Harrington had known exactly where he was, exactly what he was doing, and there was no way she could have!

I'm sure it had nothing to do with those MYSTERIOUS ANOMALIES you were picking up earlier, no sir!

At any rate, he orders a course change, turning 80 degrees to starboard, and back on the Fearless Venizelos remarks that they're breaking off. Honor corrects him, stating that the Thunder was merely surprised, and is trying to keep a constant distance while they decide what to do next.

Meanwhile, Simonds is fuming over all this, wondering how his adversary is able to know every single manoeuvre his ship makes.

But that didn't change the fact that Thunder of God out-massed both his opponents more than twice over. If he had to fight his way through them, he could. Yet he also had to be able to carry through against Grayson. . . .

"Compute a new course," he said harshly. "I want to close to the very edge of the powered missile envelope and hold the range constant."

Back on the Fearless, Honor declares that she's going to tempt her adversary into a missile duel, and then tells Venizelos to get some grub for the crew, because you can't go into battle on an empty stomach now, can you? A short while later, she discusses the seemingly-baffling tactics of her enemy.

"Could he be afraid of your technology?"

Honor snorted, and the right side of her mouth made a wry smile.

"I wish! No, if Theisman was good, the man they picked to skipper Saladin ought to be better than this." She saw the puzzlement in Brentworth's eyes and waved a hand. "Oh, our EW and penaids are better than theirs, and so is our point defense, but that's a battlecruiser. Her sidewalls are half again as tough as Fearless's, much less Troubadour's, and her energy weapons are bigger and more powerful. We could hurt him in close, but not as badly as he could hurt us, and even in a missile duel, the sheer toughness of his passive defenses should make him confident. It's—" She paused, seeking a comparison. "What it comes down to is that in a missile duel our sword's sharper, but his armor's a lot thicker, and once he gets in close, it's our sword against his battleaxe. He ought to be charging to get inside our missile envelope, not sitting out there where we've got the best chance of giving as good as we get."

Brentworth nodded, and she shrugged.

"I don't suppose I should complain, but I wish I knew what his problem is."

Once again I am reminded of playing Jane's Fleet Command (a game I'm not sure even works on Windows 10, although if you're looking for a similar type of game there's always Command: Modern Operations). One of my favourite ships in that game was the Kirov-class battlecruiser, which was bristling with a truly ridiculous array of weaponry, and my favourite tactic was to go in full steam ahead and launch every single anti-ship missile I had at the enemy in the hopes that at least one would slip through their point defences. And considering its missiles each packed a 750kg warhead, you really only needed one to get through.

Eventually, Simonds get the first shot off, and shit officially gets real:

"Missile launch! Birds closing at four-one-seven KPS squared. Impact in one-seven-zero seconds—mark!"

"Fire Plan Able." Honor said calmly. "Helm, initiate Foxtrot-Two."

"Aye, aye, Ma'am. Fire Plan Able," Cardones replied, and Chief Killian's acknowledgment was right behind him.

Troubadour rolled, inverting herself relative to Fearless to bring her undamaged port broadside to bear, and both ships began a snake-like weave along their base course as their own missiles slashed away and the decoys and jammers deployed on Fearless's flanks woke to electronic life.

This is it - the final showdown. All bets are off, the heat is on, the fix is in, the dogs are out, the game is up, the chips are down, the stakes are high, the odds are low, the danger is huge, the payoff is slim, friendships will be made, rules will be broken, wrongs will be righted, and no unturned stone will be left... uh... get ready to be turned inside out and upside down.

At this point we get a lot of back-and-forth scene changes, with paragraph breaks after every three or four sentences, so it's a bit difficult to recap, but I'll give it a shot.

Honor notices that the Thunder/Saladin is splitting its fire between the Fearless and the Troubador, which strikes her as an extremely foolish things to do. Now, I'm no military expert, but this makes sense: a damaged ship can still fight back, but a destroyed one cannot, so thus one should concentrate one's fire on a single ship at a time.

The Thunder gets hit, but damage is minor with no casualties. Meanwhile, Simonds is fretting over the fact that this crew is just too experienced to operate the ship effectively:

Thunder of God's second salvo fared almost as badly as the first, and Simonds wrenched around to glare at his tactical section, then bit back his scathing rebuke. Ash and his assistants were crouched over their panels, but their systems were feeding them too much data to absorb, and their reactions were almost spastic, flurries of action as the computers pulled it together and suggested alternatives interspersed by bouts of white-faced impotence as they tried to anticipate those suggestions.

He needed Yu and Manning, and he didn't have them. Ash and his people simply didn't have the exper-

Thunder of God heaved as two more lasers ripped through his sidewall and gouged into his hull.

Back on the Fearless, the bridge are pleased that the enemy is fighting dumb, but just then a missile detonates 15,000 km to starboard, and two lasers manage to slip through her sidewall, taking out some of her lasers and radar stations. Things are going worse on the Thunder, however, as the ship gets hit for the sixth time. He orders the ship to turn 90 degrees to starboard.

"You were right about the way he was fighting. That was pitiful."

"Yes, Ma'am." Venizelos scratched his chin. "It was almost like a simulation. Like we were up against just his computers."

"I think we were," Honor said softly, and the exec blinked at her. She unlocked her own shock frame, and he followed her over to the tactical station. She keyed a command into Cardones' panel, and they watched the master tactical display replay the brief battle. The entire engagement had lasted less than ten minutes, and Honor shook her head when it ended.

"I don't think that's a Havenite crew over there at all."

"What?!" Venizelos blushed at the volume of his response and looked quickly around the bridge, then back at her. "You don't really think the Peeps turned a ship like that over to lunatics like the Masadans, do you, Skipper?"

So they've come out ahead in this engagement, but the Masadans have probably learned a few things from their mistakes, so the next time they won't be so foolish (at least they'd better...you don't want to be lowering the stakes at the climax of your novel!)

Once again I am reminded of playing Jane's Fleet Command...
Again, you should be- because so was David Weber, while writing the books. That game, or something broadly similar. i wouldn't be surprised if he was no more than 1-2 "degrees of Kevin Bacon" away from the designers, so to speak.

One of my favourite ships in that game was the Kirov-class battlecruiser, which was bristling with a truly ridiculous array of weaponry, and my favourite tactic was to go in full steam ahead and launch every single anti-ship missile I had at the enemy in the hopes that at least one would slip through their point defences. And considering its missiles each packed a 750kg warhead, you really only needed one to get through.
Incidentally, this is exactly what the battlecruisers are, in fact, designed for. So pat yourself on the back for Working As Intended.

Also, the missiles in question are designed to, in a truly serious situation, carry 750kg thermonuclear warheads. ;)

Honor notices that the Thunder/Saladin is splitting its fire between the Fearless and the Troubador, which strikes her as an extremely foolish things to do. Now, I'm no military expert, but this makes sense: a damaged ship can still fight back, but a destroyed one cannot, so thus one should concentrate one's fire on a single ship at a time.
This is especially true in an engagement like this, in the Honorverse.

Here, any given ship can probably shoot down an average of X missiles per incoming enemy salvo, because it has so-and-so many jammers that will on average foil thus-and-such percent of the missiles, followed by blah blah countermissiles to shoot down ump more, and so on.

So the ship can on average shoot down X missiles... but it would have to specifically get lucky to shoot down X+5 missiles. Conversely, the ship would probably almost always succeed in shooting down X-5 missiles, with only an occasional lucky 'golden BB' getting through.

This means that firing only a few of your missiles in any given salvo at a secondary target is almost always a complete waste of those missiles. Alternatively, Simonds could split his fire 50/50 between the cruiser and the destroyer, but while even half his salvo weight is probably enough to threaten the destroyer, it is nowhere near as much of a threat to the cruiser- much less than half as dangerous as a full salvo would be, for the reasons above.

Simonds should either concentrate fire on the cruiser (which is big and well armored enough to tank a few hits) in hopes of starting to rack up meaningful injuries on it...

Or concentrate on the destroyer (which isn't) in hopes of blowing it out of space in the first 10-20 minutes of the battle.

I speculate that Simonds' naval combat experience (if any) and theorization (if any) are based on the pre-existing 'primitive' state of Grayson/Masadan weapons. Because in those rules, missiles are vastly harder to stop and are fired in much smaller numbers, to the point where any single missile launch has a pretty good chance of connecting with a single target. In which case if you have a huge salvo (by his standards), it makes sense to split it. Because you have a reasonable chance of taking out both your targets entirely in the first few vollies... And that would save you a lot of trouble by minimizing how long the enemy has to shoot back.

So they've come out ahead in this engagement, but the Masadans have probably learned a few things from their mistakes, so the next time they won't be so foolish (at least they'd better...you don't want to be lowering the stakes at the climax of your novel!)
The Masadans are going to work smarter, not harder.

And to be fair, the Masadans aren't actually stupid as such; they're fairly intelligent, honestly, just really out of their depth as far as knowing what a modern warship can and can't do (bearing mind that they're pretty much running Thunder/Saladin almost literally - possibly actually so - with the manuals in their laps looking things up).

Honestly, maybe a good way to describe it is:

This is a crew from say... 1960-1970 or so dumped onto a modern top of the line cruiser. They sorta understand how the ship works... but the specifics elude them and they are making mistakes because of they know things that aren't quite true in a modern context.

Honestly, maybe a good way to describe it is:

This is a crew from say... 1960-1970 or so dumped onto a modern top of the line cruiser. They sorta understand how the ship works... but the specifics elude them and they are making mistakes because of they know things that aren't quite true in a modern context.
And they've had a few months to get used to things like the equivalent of "wait, you 'click' with a 'mouse' " and "...so screens display text now, that's a thing..." and that's it.

From what I have heard, it was Harpoon rather than Jane's, but that might well just have been Weber Lore. I can't point to author statements on it though.

Yeah, I'm sure an actual Jewish person could explain it better, but from what I understand there are considerable differences between Christianity and Judaism beyond "Well, one accepts the New Testament and the other doesn't."

I expect @notbirdofprey could explain better, - especially since I'm not that well-versed in the specifics of Christian belief - but there are pretty fundamental differences in outlook between Judaism and Christianity. For example:

1) The afterlife, Heaven and Hell are a fundamental concepts in Christianity. While Judaism has the concept of Haolam Haba (the next world) there isn't really a firm concept of what it's like or even if the afterlife exists - Judaism s much more focused on this world.
2) Judaim doesn't really have the concept of Original Sin and salvation like Chrstianity does.
3) Another difference is in the interactions with God. In Christianity, God is to be questioned obeyed without question (or at least that's my impression). While Judaism still holds that God should be obeyed, there's more room for the "without question" part; see, for some examples, Abraham bargaining with God over the fate of Sodom, Gideon trying to evade being drafted as a Judge, the story of Honi the Circle-Drawer or a council of rabbis telling God he was outvoted.

Last edited:
The only thing that come close I can think of is the ancient romans who viewed the gods as being part of the community, as fellow citizens of the republic and empire who while having great dignity did not have the ex offiico right to speak without magisterial approval to express their will though at the same time if some sort of disaster or extremely dramatic event happened it was clearly the fault of some magistrate who failed to have the proper rituals conducted and violated the peace with the gods somehow which required a inquiry to find the cause and how to resolve the issue.

Weirdly enough, in *Saganami Island Tactical Simulator* I practically always trued to run a missile engagmeent against Manticoran ships.

Most Havenite ships have excellent Missile Alpha strikes and Manti ships, being "fine-at-everything" take some damage and then you have an advantage to continue playing a longer missile game to wear them out.

I've killed *Star Knight* CAs with a fucking *City* class destroyer that way. Early and Pre-War Haven has far superior doctrine and Manticore is, in practice, utterly garbage at missiles, ironically.

(This incidentally appears a lot in the side media where Haven has hands down better ship design and doctrine, while Manticore just threw money from their magic money hole at stuff. Which doesn't *at all* help dissuade me from my impression that Haven are the underdogs. (Though I suppose it could be a factor of "each Manticoran ship class in the book has to describe it's latest game breaking technological advantage" while Haven class descriptions be like "Well, we built it to do X I guess, and it does X good because Y"))

Last edited:
IIRC Andermanei also have better design doctrine. [They are heavier on missiles, just like the Havenites are...]

And IIRC it all comes down to having more practical combat experience in a military context.

Manty's combat experience is basically beating on pirates who are lucky to have anything built to military spec [and if that... its gonna be Silly hardware or massively out of date] and more often then not are basically flying around in freighters with a few pop guns bolted on.

Where as Haven... has spent the last century gobbling up systems and actually having to fight for many of those systems. Even if said fights are mismatches. And again, in those mismatches missiles are gonna be the decisive weapon. 8 Cruisers vs 8 Cruisers could result in a gun engagement. 8 Cruisers vs 32 Cruisers... is most likely gonna result in the 32 Cruisers just missiling the 8 Cruisers to death.

Weirdly enough, in *Saganami Island Tactical Simulator* I practically always trued to run a missile engagmeent against Manticoran ships.

Most Havenite ships have excellent Missile Alpha strikes and Manti ships, being "fine-at-everything" take some damage and then you have an advantage to continue playing a longer missile game to wear them out.

I've killed *Star Knight* CAs with a fucking *City* class destroyer that way. Early and Pre-War Haven has far superior doctrine and Manticore is, in practice, utterly garbage at missiles, ironically.
I kind of suspect that this is a consequence of them trying to make the game balanced enough to be fun to play, even if that meant departing from the canonicity of the novels.

Because "a competently handled Havenite ship will consistently beat an equally competently handled RMN ship in a missile duel in the early war era" definitely doesn't come across as the message Weber's trying to send in the narration.

Not that I dispute the core premise, highly plausible, that Haven has better ship design and doctrine, if only from having a lot more combat experience against state-level opposition.

IIRC Andermanei also have better design doctrine. [They are heavier on missiles, just like the Havenites are...]
But also this, yeah. There's a scene in Book Six where Honor is looking at an Andermani capital ship and thinking "wow, it's pretty weak in energy armament," and I can remember thinking on a reread of the book (probably in 2010-15) that that was just cute :p

30,000 rounds per minute? That's equal to 500 rounds per second, which seems just a tad implausible, even given FUTURE TECH. I'm reminded of the first time I played Jane's F/A-18, when I had no idea of just how high the M61's rate of fire was. "400 rounds of ammo?" I thought to myself. "That sounds like plenty!" Then, after a few seconds if firing, I was all like, "Hey, where did all my ammo go?" It turns out that, at 6,000 rounds per minutes, 400 rounds only gives you four seconds of firing time!
That 500 rounds per second sounds impossible but that's the combined output from two pinnaces (each with at least two guns) so the actual rate of per gun fire is probably 125 rounds per second per gun which is only 25% better than the M61 Vulcan (deployed first in 1959 CE) at 100 rounds per second/6000 rounds per minute.

Which means they have to take the emergency hatch out into the shaft. And while Haven might be Space!France, I don't think they're going to start singing Frère Jacques like in that one episode of TNG. We then cut back to Major Bryan, fighting his way through hordes (well maybe not hordes) of Masadans, turning them into hamburger with his flechette gun. And those are Weber's words, not mine:

"Screaming, writhing hamburger" is probably a phrase that has never been uttered in the history of the English language until this novel was published. I realise that this gun is supposed to be powerful, but turning people into "hamburger" seems a bit much. Not even Doomguy grinds his enemies that fine.

You'd think that grenades are something you'd most definitely not want to use a spaceship...though it's likely these grenades are specifically designed for use on board spacefaring vessels.

I think when David Weber was writing these books how Hydrostatic shock was thought to work when a bullet hit someone played a major role in his thinking and description.
And the main worry about the use of grenades on board spacefaring vessel is that they would puncture the outer hull and open the interior of the ship to vacuum (which on a ships as large as the Honor-verse Battlecruisers is almost impossible with a grenade) and the potential damage to the systems inside the ship (Again given how large, and how many redundant systems they tend to have for regular Battle damage, the Honor-verse ships are fairly safe to use grenades on. The other thing is that as the Havenites are fleeing the ship they don't care if some of the ships systems are damaged, as this leaves the ship in a worse condition for the boarders).

Last edited:
That 500 rounds per second sounds impossible but that's the combined output from two pinnaces (each with at least two guns) so the actual rate of per gun fire is probably 125 rounds per second per gun which is only 25% better than the M61 Vulcan (deployed first in 1959 CE) at 100 rounds per second/6000 rounds per minute.
... Victorian misread what he quoted - it's 30,000 rounds per second, not per minute. Even dividing by four for two pinnaces with two mounts each, you're getting ~7500 rounds per second per pulser.

The Honor Of The Queen: Chapter 33
Chapter 33 opens with Simonds fuming over his inability to defeat his opponents. But it seems that his subordinates are quickly coming to grips with how to handle their ship.

"Defensively, their decoys and jammers are very good, but their counter missiles and point defense lasers are only a little better than our own, and we've gotten good reads on their decoy emissions and updated our missiles' exclusion files. I think we'll be able to compensate for them to a much larger extent in the next engagement."

"Good, Lieutenant. But what about our own defenses?"

"Sword, we're just not experienced enough with our systems to operate them in command mode. I'm sorry, Sir, but that's the truth." Ash's assistants looked down at their hands or panels, but Simonds simply nodded again, slowly, and the lieutenant went on.

"As I say, we've updated the threat files and reworked the software to extrapolate from our analysis of what they've already done. In addition, I've set up packaged jamming and decoy programs to run on a computer-command basis. It won't be as flexible as a fully experienced tactical staff could give you, Sir, but taking the human element out of the decision loop should increase our overall effectiveness."

All this talk of ECM once again reminds me of playing Jane's F/A-18. Can you say, "Range-gate pull-off"?

Back on the Fearless, Honor notices that the Thunder is coming around, and figures that the enemy has no doubt learned from their mistakes the last time.

"You think he'll try to close to energy range, then?"

"I would in his place, but remember the saying about the world's best swordsman." Venizelos looked puzzled, and she smiled crookedly. "The world's best swordsman doesn't fear the second best; he fears the worst swordsman, because he can't predict what the idiot will do."

This isn't the first time I've heard this statement, and having no experience with swordfighting I wonder how true it is.

She reckons that the enemy will likely concentrate fire on the Troubadour, as it can take far less damage than the Fearless, so she orders them to stay within her point defence envelope.

Thunder begins her second attack, opening with a barrage of missiles, and just like our heroine predicted, they're concentrating their fire on Troubadour.

"Chief, take us to Yankee-Two," Honor went on, and Fearless slowed and rolled "up" towards Saladin. Troubadour slid past her, tucking in to hide as much of her emission signature behind the more powerful ship as she could without blocking her own fire. It was a cold-blooded maneuver to place the cruiser's tougher sidewalls between her and the enemy, but Saladin had detailed scans on them both. It was unlikely her missiles would be fooled into going for Fearless, and they still had plenty of maneuver time on their drives.

"Missile Defense Delta."

"Aye, aye, Ma'am. Initiating Plan Delta." Wolcott sounded calm and cool this time, and Honor felt a brief glow of pride in the young woman.

Not only has the Thunder gone and "FIRED ALL THE THINGS," they've also updated their guidance programs, which means Fearless' decoys are far less effective this time around.

HMS Troubadour vomited debris and atmosphere as the X-ray laser chewed deep into her unarmored hull. Plating buckled and tore, an entire missile tube and its crew vanished in an eyeblink, and pressure loss alarms screamed. The destroyer raced onward, trailing wreckage and air, and her surviving missile tubes belched back at her massive foe.

Will the Troubadour get killed before it reaches Bombay? I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

Honor chastises herself for not attacking the Thunder will it was breaking off, knowing that far more people are going to get killed because of it. Meanwhile, the Troubadour takes another hit, and now Simonds is feeling right chuffed over his success.

Honor's eye was locked on the com link to Troubadour, and the live side of her face was sick as she heard the tidal wave of damage reports washing over Alistair's bridge. Ammunition or no, she had to draw Saladin's fire from Troubadour before it was too-

The com link suddenly went dead, and her eye whipped to the visual display in horror as Troubadour's back broke like a stick and the destroyer's entire after third exploded like a sun.

Well, a Troubadour is technically like a bard, and really, is anyone in the party really going to miss the bard? (Also, if the Troubadour is a bard, then it ought to be transmitting some kind of buffing signal to increase the strength of Honor's ships....you know, this yet another example of why I shouldn't write sci-fi).

Simonds is elated at this turn of events, but now it's Fearless' turn to put the smack dab on their ass.

Damage alarms screamed like tortured women

That's...um...not exactly the simile I would have chosen in this situation (though perhaps it's appropriate, considering what the Masadans did to the Manticoran prisoners).

Thunder heaved as two more lasers ripped at him, and Simonds swore. Missiles were coming in so fast and heavy even computer-driven laser clusters couldn't catch them all, but he was pounding Harrington with equal fury, and his ship was far, far tougher. A readout flickered on the edge of his plot as Fearless's impeller wedge suddenly faltered, and his eyes flamed.

"Increase acceleration to max!" he barked. "Close the range. We'll finish the bitch with energy fire!"

Back on the Fearless, things like dire, but then Cardones notices that the enemy is doing something dumb...specifically, that their ECM is under computer control. It's cyclic between different programs, but the cycle is predictable, always returning to the same point, which means that their ECM behaviour is predictable.

Nine missiles charged through space, and Thunder of God's computers blinked in cybernetic surprise at their unorthodox approach. They came in massed in a tight phalanx, suicidally tight against modern point defense . . . except that the three lead missiles carried nothing but ECM. Their jammers howled, blinding every active and passive sensor system, building a solid wall of interference. Neither Thunder nor their fellows could possibly "see" through it, and a human operator might have realized there had to be a reason Fearless had voluntarily blinded her own missiles' seekers. But the computers saw only a single jamming source and targeted it with only two counter missiles.

Basically, Fearless has three missiles equipped with jammers in front of six missiles with actual warheads, and the jammers effectively hide them from the enemy's sensors.

Unfortunately, it's going to take more than that to take down the Thunder of God, which is basically like a deep space raid boss. It begins accelerating away, and the Fearless is too badly damaged to pursue. And with that we end this chapter on a cliffhanger...and there are only two more chapters to go after this one!

In a huge twist, everyone dies and a new character named Honor starts in the next book. ;)
It's a psychological ploy by the Manticorans.

Haven: "No matter how many times we think we've killed her, she keeps coming back! She's unkillable!"

Manticore: "Whelp, Honor #132 got her head blown off. Defrost #133 immediately for deployment, we don't want there to be a delay or they might catch on."

This isn't the first time I've heard this statement, and having no experience with swordfighting I wonder how true it is.
Sort of, but really, really not. See, the world's worst swordsman probably isn't going to be unpredictable, and he is also going to be slow, inaccurate, and generally just not a competent swordsman. The sort of 'unpredictable' behavior that might actually catch a master is something that is going to come from an upper-ranked individual, because the world's worst swordsman isn't going to survive performing a 'catch his sword with my face so I can stab him' maneuver without dying. An expert might.

The way the sentiment should be taken, I think, is more that a highly-competent orthodox individual might be taken out easily by someone who uses unorthodox methods and not the orthodox ones. Which is more true to a point, but still runs into the issue that orthodox methods became that way because they worked more often than not.

Back