Kantai Collection - Fanfic Idea and Recs

For comparison's sake, here you have the original soundtrack from the movie:

The JSDF leverages the shit out of the whole moe thing. (Most Japanese government agencies do, actually)
Kantai Collection just makes the job easier for them, really. No need to design mascots when someone else does it for you. (They do it anyways)

IIRC the JMSDF band has performed the Kancolle soundtrack. Or the Kancolle soundtrack was performed for the JMSDF, I forget which.

And then there's this:

Last edited:
They've been using anime as a recruiting tool for years now.
Girls und Panzer comes to mind, too.

Also, KanColle can be seen, if you get in Conspiranoid Mode, as an attempt to shed a more sympathetic light to Japan's role in WW2. Not as blatant as Zipang ("war of defense" my ass), but still.

JDS Kaga was opened to the public at Port Kanazawa.

With my fanfic set in the 'real' world and the characters directly affiliated with the JMSDF, I thought that a visit to JS Kaga would be a good scenario - in the geography of the setting Kure is nearby, and it's Kaga aboard the Kaga. Very appealing. So appealing that of course the JMSDF would do it themselves lol

It's cute that they went to Kanazawa, too, given that it was capital of Kaga province, when Kaga province was still a thing.

"Gimme some bourbon!"

"Sure, how would you prefer it?"
"Naturally, on the rocks!"

Best danbooru comment:
And then we suddenly flashback to a teen Houshou who has bubblegum colored hair, wore crop-top/short shorts, and was part of an indie punk rock band that everyone knew, but nobody knew the names of the musicians. Her mature, temperate nature and conservative outfit conceals her wild tattoos and ambitious youth with a love for parties and loud music.

Or not, but that would be a cute backstory.
This might inspire someone, so here it is. Maybe someone else finding out about this Houshou's history?

Last edited:
ARBITRACOM's composite contents post:

First, the recommendation.

Hello and Hello, by Youkanchi. First and second parts can be found on Dynasty Reader.

The story of two Mutsus in Nagato's life.

Before we begin, let's get it out of the way that the main pairing featured in this doujinshi is Nagato x Mutsu.

In the beginning of the story, Mutsu was severely injured and crippled in a battle. Her connection to her rigging is severed due to shrapnel hit to her back, and she was unable to take to the seas anymore. She was then dismantled, but it is important to note that this process is not made visible to us.

Sometime later, the now-Mutsu-less Nagato went on a vacation ordered by her Admiral. While drinking in a city, she encounters a girl who looks just like Mutsu. They proceeded to spend some time together. Nagato had earlier thought that she was possibly just another naval base's Mutsu, but in the end is convinced that this girl is her Mutsu.

In the second part, Nagato, who had returned to the naval base, now accepts the fact that the Admiral has ordered the construction of a new Mutsu. She took this new Mutsu under her care. One night, Nagato went drinking with Akashi, and inquired about the exact process of dismantling. The new Mutsu is also in fact aware of the previous Mutsu', and had not removed or tampered any of the previous Mutsu's belongings.

I might have gotten several details wrong, since Dynasty is loading incredibly slowly. I recommended this story because I felt that it was an interesting and touching story, and with beautiful art as you can already see.

----

The Ideas:

On SB, there was discussion about land warfare. Well, guess what I have been doing these past months. If you are interested in checking out my take on Kanmusu Land Warfare, do take a look at the below:

Battle of the Frozen Garden, Order of Battle.

Battle of The Frozen Garden part 1, Siberia.

The Siberian War Princess and The Siberian Linked Throne.

Abyssal Combatants of The Frozen Garden.

The Combined Armies of The Northern Fleet.

Last edited:
Back