Kantai Collection - Fanfic Idea and Recs

You could just use the famous aces and pilots for the allied flight equipment with the added bonus of having a name attached to it. :V

Thach on the Wildcat, Bong on the P-38, McCampbell on the Hellcat, Richard Best on the SBD, and I don't know maybe Harry H. Ferrier on the TBF Avenger are all viable pilots to be included for the upgraded versions of the planes.

Edit: For a gimmick plane equipment you could probably use the Old 666 B-17 and classify it as a recon plane.

Last edited:
Saratoga Kai art. Bofors, 127s, black coating. Sadly the SARA on her aft rigging is now gone. I'm a sucker for black-and-red colours, which was one of Musashi's draws originally.

Hmm... voicefiles for Saratoga is up on Wikia. She sounds... pretty good, in my opinion. I get the distinct feel of a big-sister type character from the voice, and there isn't that much English/Engrish. Which can be both a good thing and a bad thing depending on how much English you want to hear. Not much is translated yet, though. So impressions can change. Maybe she just switched wholesale to Japanese with the occasional slip/deliberate use of English?

Last edited:
The plane on Saratoga's Kai art's elevator is a TBF. Long greenhouse cockpit, wings that fold back against the body rather than up.

Yang Wen-Li is kind of overpowered as a military leader – especially if Reinhard isn't around – and much of his plot originally was spent on intrigue about the fall of democracy which might sideline the ship-girls. It is challenging enough to write up the latter sort of story respectfully when it's fictional, based on history, or based on your own culture. I wouldn't dare try to do it for a nation which really exists and I'm not part of. Similarly, writing genius military strategies is hard, especially if you don't want the other side to come across as dumb.

Also, some of the older ship-girls probably remember the fall of the Taisho Democracy, and the sort of government based intrigue you mentioned might give them flashbacks to that era.

As for ship-girls, the traditional start would be one of the starter five like the online game, or one of the Sendai sisters like the version of the game for the Vita. Given your plot we might see that plus a few early drops. In particular, much of des div 11 – the first four Fubuki-class – shows up in very early quests, so it would make sense for them to be on base.
Been super busy so I didn't see this until just now.

Reinhard is involved. That's what's being implied by the Abyssal Commander. I'm trying to set up political intrigue with interservice rivalry, anti-shipgirl, sentiments, domestic terrorists and all the other stuff I mentioned (might even be a cult that worships the Abyssals). I can see how the other things you mentioned would be troublesome though. I wouldn't mind seeing a comparatively light franchise like KanColle would mesh with the harsh and gritty political realities of LoGH. I don't think that the politics would sideline them because they are what the politics are centered around.

Also when Yang rebuilds the human staff and assumes a more permanent admiral position, he would recruit his staff that he has in LoGH I'm assuming, so politics wouldn't just be Yang failing to make a difference against callous bureaucrats all the time.

As for the ships, I'm thinking
  • Naka (for le epic idol memes)
  • Fubuki (starter ship) and the rest of DD Division 11
  • Maybe some of DD Division 6

I was wondering, with do the German Bismarck get their upgrade refit names in German numbers, Zwei, Drei.

Will the American and British ship upgrade past Kai also get named as such?
Warspite Kai turning into, Warspite Two, Warspite Mark Three Mod Three?
Iowa Kai to Iowa Two, Iowa Three?

Roma Kai to the Italian Roma Due, Roma Tre

And the French, to Deux and Trois.

Sara's most common English phrase isn't even her name. It seems to be 'Oh my god!' which she says for nearly everything it seems.

Gets sunk
Oh my god ...

Get married
Oh my god

Gets MVP
Oh my god

Gets new equipment
OH MY GOD

Guess she isn't religious or isn't Christian, with how much she takes god's name in vain.
lol

The plane on Saratoga's Kai art's elevator is a TBF. Long greenhouse cockpit, wings that fold back against the body rather than up.

I wonder how the TBF Avenger torpedo bomber will be in this game.
Dive bombers in this game aren't very good, against ships or even installations, compared to torpedo bombers loaded with torpedo or heavy bombs.

I think Dive units are more consistent hit and accuracy and survive a little more, but can't match the sheer power. Torpedo do so much more damage, and dive bombers rarely can one shot things like torpedo can in this game. And torpedo are already quite consistent and accurate. Dive bombers can kill ships quickly, but torpedo bombers seem to just be better.

Dive bombers are only really better for Combined Fleet maps in the support fleet it seems, with ships like torpedo armed Bismarck Drei.

I wonder if the TBF-3C Mark 3 late war variant will be competitive with B7A Ryuusei, Type 97 B5N Ace Skilled Pilot Squads, or B6N Tenzan.

I'm surprised the game developers haven't gone into more paper projects with theoretical stats yet for torpedo bombers. WW2 games like Warthunder and World of Tanks love paper projects, since it lets them adjust stats even more. Though Warthunder and WOT already do adjust stats on historical vehicles for balance purposes, like severely nerfing HEAT ammo.

Man, I love that Sara's Secretary Line 3 was "I just finished fixing this, can we do this later, please?" Sara best onee-san.

Also, her 21:00 to 23:00 Hourlies: "Oh, Iowa, you alone? How rare. Once we finish our job, you want to do it/that later?" "Admiral wants to come as well? Of course, you can! Let's invite Kaga and the others as well!*" "Good work for the day, Admiral. Now let's go for a drink with Iowa and the rest!" Ugh, so disappoint, I thought it was something else when she said "Yarimasuka."

*Not sure what the line that followed that meant, but I'm leaning to either "It's a different/another thing" or "They're busy with something else."
Hmm... voicefiles for Saratoga is up on Wikia. She sounds... pretty good, in my opinion. I get the distinct feel of a big-sister type character from the voice, and there isn't that much English/Engrish. Which can be both a good thing and a bad thing depending on how much English you want to hear. Not much is translated yet, though. So impressions can change. Maybe she just switched wholesale to Japanese with the occasional slip/deliberate use of English?
Her VA is the same as Iowa, btw. The pronunciations are half right and half wrong, from what I've heard. But it's not too awkward. The most awkward line was "Oh my god, beautiful," when "Oh my god, so beautiful," would feel more natural. But overall an improvement over Iowa who was... not great.

By the way, how was Sara's stats? She balanced and does it fit her real historical stats/achievements?

Last edited:
Man, I love that Sara's Secretary Line 3 was "I just finished fixing this, can we do this later, please?" Sara best onee-san.

Also, her 21:00 to 23:00 Hourlies: "Oh, Iowa, you alone? How rare. Once we finish our job, you want to do it/that later?" "Admiral wants to come as well? Of course, you can! Let's invite Kaga and the others as well!*" "Good work for the day, Admiral. Now let's go for a drink with Iowa and the rest!" Ugh, so disappoint, I thought it was something else when she said "Yarimasuka."

*Not sure what the line that followed that meant, but I'm leaning to either "It's a different/another thing" or "They're busy with something else."

Her VA is the same as Iowa, btw. The pronunciations are half right and half wrong, from what I've heard. But it's not too awkward. The most awkward line was "Oh my god, beautiful," when "Oh my god, so beautiful," would feel more natural. But overall an improvement over Iowa who was... not great.

By the way, how was Sara's stats? She balanced and does it fit her real historical stats/achievements?
Stats are flexible, more so then other attempts and characterization, and can be interpreted lots of ways, that's part of the fun to it.

As is, in raw stats she is seem to be fairly good, if expensive.
Her evade and LOS stats are still unknown, as is the torpedo and ASW stats, though those numbers are usually zero in this game for carriers.

She nearly matches the Kai Ni form of the cranes.
I've seen some people complain she's OP, especially on Japanese forums.

Iowa and Sara have different voice acting styles. Sara was given more Japanese lines, maybe partially due to some Japanese, but mostly English speaking fans, disliking the Engrish pronunciation.

Saratoga confirmed for Joseph Joestar in drag

I don't quite get the joke or reference.

I do think Saratoga's designer went a bit too crazy with the breasts. They don't seem proportionate to her body, and none of the other carriers seem to have such exaggerated proportions.

It also doesn't help many of Sara's poses have her leaning heavily, it looks in some like they're about to tear themselves off from the sheer weight or break her spine.

Her VA is the same as Iowa, btw.

Actually, the majority consensus based on listening to her lines is that her VA is Itou Shizuka. Iowa's is Hashimoto Chinami, who's a new VA.

She's quite a powerful carrier in game, having an awesomely large plane capacity (90 planes), and equally strong stats in all areas. Her only shortcoming is her attack range getting downgraded to 'short' from 'medium' when she's remodelled.

I do think Saratoga's designer went a bit too crazy with the breasts. They don't seem proportionate to her body, and none of the other carriers seem to have such exaggerated proportions.

It also doesn't help many of Sara's poses have her leaning heavily, it looks in some like they're about to tear themselves off from the sheer weight or break her spine.

Actually, her, ah, presentation is pretty similar to Unryuu, if toned down a bit because she's wearing more fabric.

Actually, the majority consensus based on listening to her lines is that her VA is Itou Shizuka. Iowa's is Hashimoto Chinami, who's a new VA.
Ah, I misread it. I thought it was the VA, it was the artist that's the same.

1.) This is the same artist as Iowa; 2.) Unryuu is worse; 3.) Carriers in general are either completely flat or have humongous breasts (though it might hard to ascertain due to their outfits); 4.) Sara is an American (and you know how they tend to be depicted).

Though honestly, it doesn't look weird to me. Certainly remarkably big, but perhaps due to her clothes, it doesn't look ridiculous to me. Compare her to Unryuu, which is...
I don't quite get the joke or reference.
Reference to Joseph Joestar from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. At one point, he dressed in a (ridiculous) drag outfit, but before that, when he confronted a vampire he immediately opened up his attack by spraying him with a Tommy Gun barrage. Sara's weapon is like a Tommy Gun and she has the same hair color as Joseph (when the color palette isn't stylistically swapped in the show).

Last edited:
Bah, sara can keep her TBFs, Yvonprise gets Skyraiders! :p

...okay, I may want to get into KC now. For Sara...

No, i need to remain loyal to Fubuki. <.<

Last edited:
Talking about 'Assault carriers', I do have a question on another science fiction carrier. It's called the SCVA-76 Nahel Argama, from Gundam. It's listed on the Gundam wiki as "a battleship that focuses on supporting mobile suits both in and out of battle". But the fact that it can carry a large number of MS makes it a carrier, in my mind. It's an improvement on its predecessor, the Argama-class, by having more AA, for one. I read "For Earth and her Colonies" and was inspired to take a science fiction ship and have it be a shipgirl, but...

...it's a tad too OP.

Armaments:
Four Two-Barrel High-Energy Beam Cannon
Two Single-Barrel High-Energy Beam Cannon
3 VLS cells, each has 24 missiles
28 AA machine guns

And a hangar deck full of MS.

I don't think the Abyssals will last for the next week. Unless Nahel Argama is even more gluttonous than Akagi.
If you want more OP, you want to take Dogosse Giar or General Revil, both of which had more guns than Nahel Argama and 48 mobile suits to Nahel Argama's 12. Which is something you need to take into account: UC Gundam isn't really a good matchup againstnthings that can do large swarms, because UC is like tanks. Tanks fight one on one, as do UC MS. Their weapon systems are less suited to fighting multiple opponents - note how much trouble the Nahel Argama's forces were having in Unicorn 7, or how the bridge crew shit themselves learning a company sized unit - 12 mobile suits - is coming. Even when Banana came to the rescue he was taking out mooks one by one, albeit very quickly.

On the other hand if your Nahel Argama girl has Jestas and Stark Jegans i'll throw down behind you because I love Stark Jegans, like I have two of them and I'm seriously considering getting a third.

Also missile wise, 72 vls cells is better than most European designs... But well the American Burke-class DDGs run with 96 cells. :p

Well the Abyssals will be dead if I tried writing one of THOSE, so I think I'll just stick to something weaker and more grounded. Though a spaceship will still wreck utter and total shit anyway. I'll just stick to the Deucalion (yes Aldnoah was a bad anime), since it doesn't have any of that beam weapon bullsh!t. I would like my story to live long, and a curbstomp isn't exactly healthy.

Is there a general Kancolle discussion thread around here, not just fanfic focused? I wanted to write up some thoughts on the Movie Trailer at some point.

There is the Kancolle game thread. My impression of the fandom is that you either play the game and discuss about it, or you write fanfic. I'm not sure what 'general discussion' means.

I've been looking over Sara's lines. Looks like she has a good relationship with the first married carrier couple CarDiv 1...

10 o'clock. Miss Kaga, good morning! ...Huh, a war game? I'll gladly accept! I'll face you with everything I've got!

11 o'clock. As expected from you, Miss Kaga. Japan's Task Force is formidable. I need to do better!

4 o'c... Ah, hey! Miss Akagi How are you?... Oh really, that's great! Same goes for me. Hehehe...

Then I saw this...

9 o'clock. Oh, Iowa! It's rare to see you alone. Once I finish working do you want to do it for a bit? Sure, OK. Wait for me!

To which I have to echo this poster on another forum's question:

But then the next line really makes it even more awkward... ah, erm...

10 o'clock. Admiral, what is it? Eh, you want to join us as well? Sure, with pleasure! That's right, how about we invite Miss Kaga as well. eh, another time?

Can some moonspeaker parse this text and tell me if there are any of that kind of connotation in there?

9 o'clock。 あら、Iowa!珍しいのね、一人?お仕事終わったら、少しだけやりますか?うん、OKです。待っててね!

10 o'clock。 提督、なんでしょうか?...え、提督もご一緒に?もちろん、喜んで!そうだ、加賀さんたちもお呼びしましょう。え、それはまた別で?

Back