In Another World: Isekai Story Creative Discussion and Idea Thread

Interesting Portal Isekai idea
Hello! I created an account just to participate in this discussion haha. Nice to meet ya! Apologize if my English is broken. Copy-pasted my comment from Gigguk's video here I go.

This is my unfinished concept, is that being transported into another world is actually a natural phenomenon; like natural disasters. No being can trigger it. This can be a possible explanation why people gone without traces in our world (like Bermuda Triangle case). But if you were to sent back to your own world, you will forget whatever happens in another world (I have this idea for my already-discarded Magi fanfic so it'll makes sense why the characters don't remember what happens in the actual series, to make it a bit believable). If you have magic and transported to our world, the magic would become a real life ability (Ex: healing magic become a medical skill, though I still can't explain what'll happen to those with attack-based magic like fire, wind etc). This phenomenon already exist far from today, which will cause our world and a few another worlds to have same language as a result of people build their community in another world after being transported. There's different time dilation between our world and another world (Ex: 100 years another world= 1 years our earth).

Now for my idea of the story, in short, I have at least two protagonists that got transported into our world after their world is in chaos for whatever reason. One is a girl that has healing from the other world which would have the ability to become a doctor, one is a prince from that world, they love each other. The twist is that the prince is from our world, which would cause him not to remember the girl when he got back to our world (He has enough time to become a prince because of the time dilation between his our world and another world, also because that other world take FAR longer time for its organism to age). Maybe they would be separated when they got into our world, I plan to start the story from here.

Soo it's a reverse isekai setting. What do you guys think? I can't particularly write sci-fi with lots of advanced technology like your ideas, so this is the best I can come up with. I initially want to make a rather light drama oneshot story but I'm aware a backstory can be a bit too much (probably will make it multichap). I really want to make "kinda" a wanderer type of story (like Fumetsu no Anata e manga by Koe no Katachi's author, I HIGHLY recommend it) with a mix of reverse-isekai. Also would love to hear your ideas and suggestions!

EDIT:

I just read some thread from this site and holy hell you guys have mindblowing ideas all over the place. Not against it, I'm just not used to well thought-out magic fantasy system with a potential to make a possible good action/quest from it. Now I think my idea is just boring...

Last edited:
Praise be to the Queen!
Honestly, I'm still not sure whether to call my idea as an Isekai due to some radical change despite the similar idea but here it goes anyway.

Also I made this plot LONG before Gate happened so it's absolutely not a copycat.

------
Praise be to the Queen! (Or how I should stop starting my quest idea halfassedly and start actual writing)
------

In a world where monsters leave behind trail of devastation, violence are common occurrence and not even a gun could guarantee one's safety, our protagonist appears, forming a tide of changes while finding a way home.

Except our protagonist isn't even human, he's a bioengineered clone soldier of the B'siotak 1st Legion, lost in a completely unknown land filled with dangerous life after their main base alongwith an ancient portal system that leads them here in the first place got destroyed by an unknown powerful enemies.

All he has is his training, superalien strength and endurance and some big fucking guns.

Oh, and the reason they came here at all? To investigate the new land for potential colonization and invasion. Bringing a tide of changes for sure.

Coming with the idea are realistic usage of energy weapon and advanced technology, unrealistic usage of magical techno bullshit technology, a world that is hopefully full of completely original idea instead of using old fantasy formula, anti-insurgency tactics, guerrilla tactics and lots of lots of dakka.

Last edited:
I just read some thread from this site and holy hell you guys have mindblowing ideas all over the place. Not against it, I'm just not used to well thought-out magic fantasy system with a potential to make a possible good action/quest from it. Now I think my idea is just boring...

Why thank you. I was just as surprised by some of the excellent ideas on here. I feel like I want to steal borrow some of them for my own writing.

Space MMORPG Isekai idea (part 2)
Had more thoughts for my sci-fi fleet Isekai on how to make the relationships deeper than pure protag magnetism (which is still a factor in-universe, and everyone knows it)

Each of the secondary protags surrounding our lady genius/over-her-head gamer girl has an agenda. While all of them are definitely attracted to her beyond standard biosynth deference to true-humans, there is more to their attempts at deeper relations than simply fighting over who gets to be her mate (answer: all of them can be without issue, polygamy is normal among biosynths, its just a question of who is the Alpha and gets the most attention) But the authenticity of their friendliness is in question due to the extent biosynths were gene-coded to obey, serve, and enjoy being under humans.

The Cat: First of the companions and the one to jump to contacting the heroine for assistance. The Nekohaven Union are a coalition of feline-tailed biosynths that resemble the Star Trek Federation in style and mentality of being explorers before soldiers. Cunning, diplomatic, and happy to accommodate the heroine in any way needed because that was what he was genetically engineered to do! But he also has a agenda of unifying all the biosynth peoples together, and selective usage of the human in the right places could be the right instrument to bring about the Second Empire with her as Empress, and himself in some high-level position. A very ambitious kitty, but still with good intentions towards the heroine. Which eventually makes him start jumping through mental hoops on how to keep her benefiting from his poltical schemes despite contradicting goals. Even temporarily inconveniencing her or going against her will is literally unthinkable to him, but is it out of genecoding or genuine love?

The Elf: A striking nobleman straight out of traditional stories of knights, dragons, and princesses commanding a task force from the Aelfen Ascendency (think akin to the Empire of Legends of the Galactic Heroes). But is he a knight or a princess? While flashy, noble, and a strong upholder of the Elfen values of grace and elegance in all things, he also outright worships the very ground the heroine walks upon as a very ardent follower of the Faith of Humanity Ascendent. She is more than a person, she is a angel descended from another plane of existence come to save them from a sinful fallen universe (which technically isn't wrong). But a fair chunk of his worship also stems from being extremely over his head in an actual war scenario and trying to cover his ignorance and flat-out inability to learn and understand radical tactics on the fly. Which poses problems later on when the gamer decided to be more active in war instead of touring the Biosynth worlds (to escape being worshiped all the time).

The Wolf: A scruffily-handsome snow wolf of the Fenrir Federation, a militaristic culture of various dog-peoples that were soldiers and combat-entertainers under the Empire. Stern, serious, and professional military, this courting of the human is purely for tactical and strategic advantages and he actually isn't physically attracted to her (especially since he is self-aware enough to know he can't trust his own feelings given any leftover inherited genetic engineering to want to please humans) and is rather blunt about the issue when pressed. Unfortunately she happens to take a liking to him anyway for not being a fawning pet (his gene-lines lust-glands were replaced with combat reflex drugs to be better cannon fodder than house servants) and having a dog as her only friend in her RL-life, which leads to misconceptions as he thinks she means a biosynth-dogperson and not a animal dog. ("She regularly bathed and slept with a Labrador?! One of those big oafs?!") But despite his misgivings, they are strong allies on the battlefront and while not a bright innovator, he is very good at capitalizing upon the brand-new concepts the heroine can provide. (saving her the trouble of having to actually explain her video-game logic)

The Fox: A six-tailed kitsune of the Inari Mercantile League, not a fleet command like the rest of the companions but a economist, industrialist, and capitalist investor. Intrigued at the market opportunities brought about by the human's mere presence, he attaches himself to the coalition fleet by dint of everyone else being lousy at logistics and his multitude of contacts within and without the League. But despite being a very attractive fox, he also poses the most headaches for the heroine because he is aiming to learn economics, logistics, and other mercantile feats humans are capable of, leaving her in the very awkward position of trying to translate video game economics into practical concepts! (Little does she realize he's awstruck at how she considers coordinating sector-wide resource pathing flows just a game. The League's best economists strain just to keep ontop of a few systems, let alone dozens or hundreds as she hints at!) He is there to pump her for information by any means neccessary......but that doesn't mean they can't both enjoy the process, right?

Thoughts on this? Could use some feedback on this given how critical relationships and good characters are in stories.

Had more thoughts for my sci-fi fleet Isekai on how to make the relationships deeper than pure protag magnetism (which is still a factor in-universe, and everyone knows it)

Each of the secondary protags surrounding our lady genius/over-her-head gamer girl has an agenda. While all of them are definitely attracted to her beyond standard biosynth deference to true-humans, there is more to their attempts at deeper relations than simply fighting over who gets to be her mate (answer: all of them can be without issue, polygamy is normal among biosynths, its just a question of who is the Alpha and gets the most attention) But the authenticity of their friendliness is in question due to the extent biosynths were gene-coded to obey, serve, and enjoy being under humans.

The Cat: First of the companions and the one to jump to contacting the heroine for assistance. The Nekohaven Union are a coalition of feline-tailed biosynths that resemble the Star Trek Federation in style and mentality of being explorers before soldiers. Cunning, diplomatic, and happy to accommodate the heroine in any way needed because that was what he was genetically engineered to do! But he also has a agenda of unifying all the biosynth peoples together, and selective usage of the human in the right places could be the right instrument to bring about the Second Empire with her as Empress, and himself in some high-level position. A very ambitious kitty, but still with good intentions towards the heroine. Which eventually makes him start jumping through mental hoops on how to keep her benefiting from his poltical schemes despite contradicting goals. Even temporarily inconveniencing her or going against her will is literally unthinkable to him, but is it out of genecoding or genuine love?

The Elf: A striking nobleman straight out of traditional stories of knights, dragons, and princesses commanding a task force from the Aelfen Ascendency (think akin to the Empire of Legends of the Galactic Heroes). But is he a knight or a princess? While flashy, noble, and a strong upholder of the Elfen values of grace and elegance in all things, he also outright worships the very ground the heroine walks upon as a very ardent follower of the Faith of Humanity Ascendent. She is more than a person, she is a angel descended from another plane of existence come to save them from a sinful fallen universe (which technically isn't wrong). But a fair chunk of his worship also stems from being extremely over his head in an actual war scenario and trying to cover his ignorance and flat-out inability to learn and understand radical tactics on the fly. Which poses problems later on when the gamer decided to be more active in war instead of touring the Biosynth worlds (to escape being worshiped all the time).

The Wolf: A scruffily-handsome snow wolf of the Fenrir Federation, a militaristic culture of various dog-peoples that were soldiers and combat-entertainers under the Empire. Stern, serious, and professional military, this courting of the human is purely for tactical and strategic advantages and he actually isn't physically attracted to her (especially since he is self-aware enough to know he can't trust his own feelings given any leftover inherited genetic engineering to want to please humans) and is rather blunt about the issue when pressed. Unfortunately she happens to take a liking to him anyway for not being a fawning pet (his gene-lines lust-glands were replaced with combat reflex drugs to be better cannon fodder than house servants) and having a dog as her only friend in her RL-life, which leads to misconceptions as he thinks she means a biosynth-dogperson and not a animal dog. ("She regularly bathed and slept with a Labrador?! One of those big oafs?!") But despite his misgivings, they are strong allies on the battlefront and while not a bright innovator, he is very good at capitalizing upon the brand-new concepts the heroine can provide. (saving her the trouble of having to actually explain her video-game logic)

The Fox: A six-tailed kitsune of the Inari Mercantile League, not a fleet command like the rest of the companions but a economist, industrialist, and capitalist investor. Intrigued at the market opportunities brought about by the human's mere presence, he attaches himself to the coalition fleet by dint of everyone else being lousy at logistics and his multitude of contacts within and without the League. But despite being a very attractive fox, he also poses the most headaches for the heroine because he is aiming to learn economics, logistics, and other mercantile feats humans are capable of, leaving her in the very awkward position of trying to translate video game economics into practical concepts! (Little does she realize he's awstruck at how she considers coordinating sector-wide resource pathing flows just a game. The League's best economists strain just to keep ontop of a few systems, let alone dozens or hundreds as she hints at!) He is there to pump her for information by any means neccessary......but that doesn't mean they can't both enjoy the process, right?

Thoughts on this? Could use some feedback on this given how critical relationships and good characters are in stories.

..... This actually sounds like a legitimately interesting story and these sound like legitimately great characters.

Well done. Although the economics bit is fundamentally exaggerated and inaccurate to how game economics work compared to real life economics.

So, has anyone heard of a quest where someone is Isekai'ed or reincarnated into a horse nomad culture?

Is it even possible to do so or is it hard to do considering the very culture we are talking about here?

..... This actually sounds like a legitimately interesting story and these sound like legitimately great characters.

Well done. Although the economics bit is fundamentally exaggerated and inaccurate to how game economics work compared to real life economics.

Clearly you don't play enough Eve Online.

But yes, that is a particularly troubling part for the heroine and the place she is most likely to get exposed as a gamer for instead of a genius, even if she can fumble her way out of a few situations with game-info from games with more economics than a Command and Conquer economy. Which is a pity given the fox would be happy to play the kitsune role of the good husband in all other respects to a T and indulge her desire to be a quiet gamer away from all this crazy war-stuff.

So, has anyone heard of a quest where someone is Isekai'ed or reincarnated into a horse nomad culture?

Is it even possible to do so or is it hard to do considering the very culture we are talking about here?

Unless they have cheat-powers a drop-in protag would have problems. A reincarnation isekai would be grown in the culture and saddle, so they'd be okay.

But a drop-in isekai protag who ends up with a female!Dothraki culture could be interesting to say the least.

But yes, that is a particularly troubling part for the heroine and the place she is most likely to get exposed as a gamer for instead of a genius, even if she can fumble her way out of a few situations with game-info from games with more economics than a Command and Conquer economy. Which is a pity given the fox would be happy to play the kitsune role of the good husband in all other respects to a T and indulge her desire to be a quiet gamer away from all this crazy war-stuff.
That could be a conflict: the female protag believes that she needs to live up to the high standards the biosynths hold her too, so she tries to use her video game knowledge to act as badass as possible.

Clearly you don't play enough Eve Online.

Yeah, but counterpoint, you clearly haven't seen real life business people and economists at work:p

But yeah, that sounds like a point of conflict.

Also, it sounds like the setting she's been dropped into has a very simple economic system, mostly because it's in a state of eternal war.

There are a LOT of directions we can go with this, but I'd like to hear some of your ideas before I share mine.
Here's an idea in this genre that I had a while back:
One idea sitting in the back of my head since high school is a sort of Trapped in Another World story in the vein of El Hazard (ironically, I actually came up with the idea before finding out about El Hazard and, after watching the anime, found my idea to be a bit too similar).

The basic idea is that the main character is visiting an uncle/grandparent who is or was and archeologist. Among the uncle's/grandparent's souvenirs, he finds a sort of puzzle-box and, upon solving the puzzle, the box transports him, his older brother, and the older brother's girlfriend to an Orbital-style structure around a planet (I had just read Ringworld at the time) in a distant galaxy, populated by the lost colony of an ancient human civilization. Various parts of the ring and the planet are connected by a short-range Portal Network that can also be used to draw forth quasi-mystical Guardians.

Separated from the others during the transit, the main character is forced to rely on a battle-scarred amazonian fugitive as his only source of protection from the otherwise hostile locals and a ring-spanning empire that considers him a threat due to his ability to draw forth particularly powerful Guardians.

There were actually a number of plot points that I considered that I was somewhat dismayed to see echoed in El Hazard :cry: . For starters, the world I was imagining was filled with certain types of lost technology that, as a security feature could only be used by those that had traveled by Puzzle-Box Stargate (inspired by "Doomsday"); in El Hazard, the characters from Earth are given powers by their transit to the other world and the main character's power is the technopathic ability to use the world's lost technology. Another similarity is that I had considered having the twist that, due to a Stable Time Loop, the main character is actually the founder of the very empire that's hunting him; in El Hazard, the main characters are sent to El Hazard due to a Stable Time Loop.

In any case, I didn't have an entirely clear idea of what the story's endgame would be. A part of me was thinking that the first arc would end with the main character getting sent back to Earth, only to end up trying to get back to the other world to rescue his brother and the brother's girlfriend, or something along those lines.
On a tangentially related note -- in hindsight, I don't recall Gigguk mentioning El Hazard in his retrospective.

On another note -- are we comfortable with the idea that the original Stargate was, if not genuine Isekai, at least similar in terms of plot structure and central tropes?

From the biosynth perspective: A actual true-blooded human arrived in a shiny dreadnought-class starship, fired off sixty antimatter bombs as a frakking warning shot, then instantly planned and downloaded a maneuvering order that got them out of a utter deathtrap of a battlespace against a ruthless alien species that had been kicking their ass for years with most of their ships still intact. We need this tactical genius, and it just so happens to be a highly attractive human female to boot.

(The full series, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, is licensed at Crunchyroll.)

Thus the various factions of the combined biosynth armada begin to plot for the affections and knowledge of this curious human who is really confused and scared at ending up in a leadership position by dint of being a inspirational genius at virtually every situation she's thrown into. (Read: hastily trying to apply video-game knowledge to leading a space fleet and keeping it running).
That does raise a pretty significant question though. This space strategy has gone from being a simulation meant as a diversion from the pressures and monotony of the real world to being a real war, where real people live and die based on her decisions? how exactly does she process that and get to a point where she can actually function without some kind of anxiety meltdown.

I think you've done a good job of setting out how each of the four supporting protagonists relate to the main heroine (Cat: loyal chessmaster; Elf: zealous crusader; Wolf: military ally; Fox: barkeep/student). However, there's also the question of how they related to each other (if they interact at all?) -- e.g., are Wolf and Fox at odds because Wolf views Fox as soft while Fox views Wolf as wastefully violent? Are Cat and Fox close allies because diplomacy (Cat's strength) and trade (Fox's strength) go hand-in-glove? Are Cat and Alf at odds because Alf eats cats?

Also, one possible issue with the characters you've identified is that it seems as though every character you've identified is an example of his race's stereotype: The cat-people are diplomatic explorers and the Cat is a diplomatic chessmaster. The elves are, if I understand your reference, a quasi-feudal/quasi-caste society and Elf is a cookie-cutter nobleman. The dog-people are warriors and the Wolf is a professional soldier. The fox-people organized themselves into a "mercantile league" and the Fox is a merchant.

I just want to see an isekai where the MC accidentally starts a pandemic by introducing his germs to the unexposed, completely unimmune population. Or at least touches on the idea. Maybe have a magic system that revolves around bacteria and disease, with them being known as "tiny demons".
Extrapolating from the explanation CGP Gray's "Americapox" video, I'm not sure that that would really be possible, unless the main character just so happens to be a carrier for Smallpox, Cholera, Typhus, etc. If the residents of this isekai other-world are similar enough to us for our germs to infect them,easily, they're probably also similar enough that our germs wouldn't be particularly lethal.

On a tangentially related note -- in hindsight, I don't recall Gigguk mentioning El Hazard in his retrospective.

On another note -- are we comfortable with the idea that the original Stargate was, if not genuine Isekai, at least similar in terms of plot structure and central tropes?

I've never head of El Hazard. The original Stargate movie, however, was brilliant in my mind. I would love to write an isekai like that.

That does raise a pretty significant question though. This space strategy has gone from being a simulation meant as a diversion from the pressures and monotony of the real world to being a real war, where real people live and die based on her decisions? how exactly does she process that and get to a point where she can actually function without some kind of anxiety meltdown.

She can either crack or find her true heroic self deep down.

I think you've done a good job of setting out how each of the four supporting protagonists relate to the main heroine (Cat: loyal chessmaster; Elf: zealous crusader; Wolf: military ally; Fox: barkeep/student). However, there's also the question of how they related to each other (if they interact at all?) -- e.g., are Wolf and Fox at odds because Wolf views Fox as soft while Fox views Wolf as wastefully violent? Are Cat and Fox close allies because diplomacy (Cat's strength) and trade (Fox's strength) go hand-in-glove? Are Cat and Alf at odds because Alf eats cats?

Also, one possible issue with the characters you've identified is that it seems as though every character you've identified is an example of his race's stereotype: The cat-people are diplomatic explorers and the Cat is a diplomatic chessmaster. The elves are, if I understand your reference, a quasi-feudal/quasi-caste society and Elf is a cookie-cutter nobleman. The dog-people are warriors and the Wolf is a professional soldier. The fox-people organized themselves into a "mercantile league" and the Fox is a merchant.
Well, wouldn't the stereotypes be justified, since they were designed by humans? Besides, they might be stereotyped into jobs and skills, but each might have different personalities. Cat-people are diplomatic explorers, yes, but some might be more swashbuckling, some might be female cat-people that are meant for seduction or are secretaries (or both). The elves could be all kinds of different classes, but the Elf is implied to be a religious zealot that worships the Protagonist, which could be contrasted by other elves not doing that. And so on. Differences in personality and approach can be found, for plenty of variety!

Question: all isekai must be an original world?

I was thinking of using exalted for a isekai but like this it become a SI or a crossover?

Posting a rough idea of mine as a alternative take on isekai and making a sci-fi one that hopefully avoids most of the worst cliches.

Protag is a shy, nerdy girl who is generally more comfortable playing space-sim games than interacting with other people (Triple-bad no-no's for Japanese girls) that ends up getting dragged into the far-future of the very space MMORPG game she was playing beforehand. And it is not a pretty future.

The major galactic powers have collapsed, technology has regressed and the infrastructure to maintain what is left is breaking down, and the human elite that ruled over their biosynthetic servants (all of them kemonomimi style) is long-dead. All except her, and the cruiser she brought with her right into a battle between the remnant biosynths and a hostile alien race.

In panic mode at A) getting dumped into a video game, B) getting dumped into a space battle, and C) HOLY FRAK I'M GETTING SHOT AT WHILE IN MY PAJAMAS, our heroine hastily defaults to her video-gaming instincts and fires off the first weapons she can before even locking on while plotting a hasty escape with the friendly ships with cat and dog people that are not shooting her in the hopes they can provide some answers.

From the biosynth perspective: A actual true-blooded human arrived in a shiny dreadnought-class starship, fired off sixty antimatter bombs as a frakking warning shot, then instantly planned and downloaded a maneuvering order that got them out of a utter deathtrap of a battlespace against a ruthless alien species that had been kicking their ass for years with most of their ships still intact. We need this tactical genius, and it just so happens to be a highly attractive human female to boot.

Thus the various factions of the combined biosynth armada begin to plot for the affections and knowledge of this curious human who is really confused and scared at ending up in a leadership position by dint of being a inspirational genius at virtually every situation she's thrown into. (Read: hastily trying to apply video-game knowledge to leading a space fleet and keeping it running).

Oh, and there is still a alien menace out there that got bloodied in that initial fight but is still not out for the count yet.

So a little bit of Lost Fleet, a little bit of Legend of the Galactic Heroes, and a alternative take on the usual harem of isekai stories with a reverse-harem born of deeper ambitions than random spontaneous protag magnetism. Certainly would make for a lot better story than most on the market right now in my opinion.

The Kemonomimi remids me of Dog Days (Ninja Warrior Isekai: The Anime) but I think the work of fiction that this whole situation with spaceships and the protagonist having to save them reminds me of the most is Terry Pratchetts Only you can save mankind.

Dark Future Isekai Idea
I'd been considering a cheeky little way of playing with the genre- Isekai roughly translates to "another world"
Why not make it exactly that?

Start off on near future, overpopulated kinda shitty earth. Protag in the wrong place at the wrong time and not important enough for people to care. Gets locked up by the cops.

Now here's the thing- population crisis is so bad, government have basically set up a system for easily shipping people offworld because there was a couple of "near" stars with habitable planets on them, and so they've basically just set up a chain of things to shunt excess population off to the "colonies"

And that's exactly what happens to our protag isn't it. So now they get to deal with never seeing home again, any news on decades long delay and possible bits about the world being a bit crap right now because it's a frontier colony bit where loads of undesirables are sent

I'd been considering a cheeky little way of playing with the genre- Isekai roughly translates to "another world"
Why not make it exactly that?

Start off on near future, overpopulated kinda shitty earth. Protag in the wrong place at the wrong time and not important enough for people to care. Gets locked up by the cops.

Now here's the thing- population crisis is so bad, government have basically set up a system for easily shipping people offworld because there was a couple of "near" stars with habitable planets on them, and so they've basically just set up a chain of things to shunt excess population off to the "colonies"

And that's exactly what happens to our protag isn't it. So now they get to deal with never seeing home again, any news on decades long delay and possible bits about the world being a bit crap right now because it's a frontier colony bit where loads of undesirables are sent
It's kind of lacking the aspect where the new world has rules which are significantly different from that of the original world. And by significantly different, laws aren't enough, there should be something as different as the magical physics or monster ecologies you see in fantasy Isekai.

Back