If You Love'er So Much, Why Don't You Mari'er? (Battletech) (Mature)

Unless it was dead for lack of a single spare part the just didn't have 'in the middle of nowhere '. The TC might very well be able to get it moving at a nice slow 15 light-year jump pace before something more critical breaks.
Edit:

Even if it isn't repairable the Tripitiz is still a valuable cache find for the TC to loot to the ground.

It was fleeing the Amaris coup, the SLS Tripitiz might well be carrying valuable electronic cargo that the TC can use.

More importantly the Tripitz will be filled with precision machinery and tooling that is practically brand new.

Chapter 40 (June 2979 - July 2979)
---

Scene 1

---

Comstar First Circuit Compound
Hilton Head Island, North America, Terra
June 2979

Karl sighed as he stepped into what had, until recently, been his office, a small cardboard box in hand. Immediately, he spied the red and green tape tags attached to everything movable in the space. The number of items out in the room was far more than would normally be visible, a clear sign of Rho/Gamma and Rho/Omicron's directed scrutiny - everything that would normally be secreted away in his desk or in a cubby was out on display.

The things marked with green tape, he could keep - they were judged as being harmless personal belongings. The things marked with red tape, he had to leave - they were judged as official property of the office, either record based or otherwise, and required by the new Precentor ROM. The things not present had already been disposed of - they were of no use to the office, but they were not considered safe to allow outside of it either. The risk that they might contain some manner of coded, privileged information was simply too great.

The green tagged objects were in the overwhelming minority. Karl wouldn't need a second box. When he'd first taken this position, though, he hadn't expected to need one at all. It had been nearly twenty three years he'd spent in this office. Over such a long period, however much he'd once believed in keeping personal sentiment out of his workplace, it'd been impossible to avoid leaving parts of himself around the place. Parts of which perhaps one half now remained.

He grabbed the framed picture of himself and Adrienne on the day they first ascended to their joint offices with a sigh, picking it up and frowning at the thought of what his sister would have said if she knew that mere months after her passing, he'd been cast out of his position in disgrace, the better part of his life still in him.

After a moment, he set the picture back down. It wouldn't do to pack something so fragile in the bottom of the box.

His stapler. His hand exerciser. His wall-mounted pull-up bars.The comically floppy, deflated form of his exercise ball. The air pump for his exercise ball. His collection of pens. The five or six stress balls he'd kept around. Then the framed picture. He closed the lid of the box, before opening it again to give the picture one last look, then reclosed and sealed it with masking tape. He'd need to turn this in to the censors later to make sure he hadn't done any funny business, but it was a tradition - evidently - to allow the former Precentor to gather their personal effects themself rather than to have them delivered afterwards, in the event of a resignation other than death.

He paused, a snort escaping his nose. They'd gone over his belongings in so much detail to determine if they needed to stay for Precentor Pawlos Bekele's administration, and whether they were safe to leave around private lodgings without risking an intelligence leak, but he himself wasn't considered a hazard?

He relaxed his shoulders for a moment, setting the box down where his things had been. No, he was definitely going to be watched for the rest of his life to ensure he didn't leak anything. If he were Pawlos, that would be the first thing he'd do once he got in the chair. Even if his loyalty wasn't suspect beforehand, it was simply the rational response to a still living person who'd come in contact with every secret in the Blessed order for two decades getting busted down to the humble standing of an ordinary acolyte.

To doubt was more rational - more admirable - than to trust.

He'd known going into the position that his life would belong, unconditionally, to the Blessed Order from then on. It would be no great surprise to him, nor would he hold any hard feelings, if he himself one day learned that he'd been neither green nor red taped - that he'd been marked for disposal.

He'd just hoped to do more good for the holy mission. To safeguard the Order more.

Too many mistakes had been made to go on trusting him with that role, though. Too, too many mistakes. Perhaps it would have been for the best if he'd simply trusted Mars a bit more. Political unreliability aside, he was at least good at what he did. The competence of his Explorer Corps in navigating social minefields was excellent. Cutting him out of the plan… had been dumb spite, he realized with even a bit of hindsight. A focused discovery mission, followed if necessary by a destruction mission armed with an unquestionably great force - that would have been better than this half-measure.

But alas, Blessed Blake had revealed no means of changing the past except for doctoring historical records, which was no longer his privilege.

He'd have to…

A rag was shoved under his nose from behind just as he inhaled - he hadn't heard anyone approach. Immediately, he felt his mind begin to fog as the fumes made their way into him. Was this it, then? They'd elected to drug him and take him in for a final interrogation?

Not the approach he personally would have gone for, but whatever.

He didn't fight it.

- -

Slowly the capacity for thought returned to him, his back stiff from being laid down unevenly and his wrists feeling chafed. That shouldn't have been the case - the preferred bindings in ROM were low friction, for long term usage.

He wasn't immediately feeling blinded even though his eyelids, either. That didn't fit the bill for an interrogation room, and they wouldn't just throw him directly in a cell if they'd gone through the trouble of drugging and capturing him.

Karl groaned, wiggling on his side. The floor was cold and metallic, and there was a faint vibration to it. Was he in a moving vehicle?

A finger poked his cheek twice. "Well now, you're finally awake, are you?"

The hairs on the back of his neck stood up tall. He knew that dull, aged voice anywhere. It was an unmistakable fixture of his daily life and nightmares practically since he first took office as Precentor ROM. His eyes shot open, and he rolled to get a look up at the grinning, wrinkled face of Mark Mars. "What the actual fuck?"

The ninety some odd year old man laced his hands together before pushing down as he watched from the chair he was on, the smile not leaving his face as his knuckles cracked and popped loudly. "You know, Karl, you managed to screw me over something fierce. I'd say I'm amazed you had it in you, but I like to think we've got more trust and honesty between us than that sort of obvious lie. I always kind of figured there was a risk of you double crossing me on our deal. When Precentor Luthien came to me after a council meeting to ask how your fuckup was going to impact my busy work? That just confirmed it for me."

Karl closed his eyes in disappointment. He hadn't been judged a threat by the order. He'd been kidnapped for revenge by a man older than he'd have been himself in thirty years time. "So, how are you going to do me in? Drowning? Concrete? Decapitation? A quick and merciful bullet?"

Mars laughed loudly, his voice remarkably clear of the sort of rasp and crackling one would expect from a man his age. "Karl, Karl, Karl, all of those things kill people. Do you really think I'd want to do that to you? Really?"

"So I'm going to be some whipping mule in your basement for however long it takes this to get traced to you?"

Fucking psycho.

Mars reached down and gave him a firm pat on the head. "I'm not going to torture you either, Karl. For one, we're not headed back to my place at all - I aint' got a landing pad for this dropship. For two, I ain't planning on going back there anymore. It's even older and funkier than I am."

"Dropshi-" Karl sputterered, throwing himself up off the ground into a sitting position. "What?"

"-p" Mark finished for him, giving him a teasing look. "We're on a cargo dropship belonging to my own Explorer Corps right now, Karl. Ready for one hell of a road trip?"

"Why the fuck would I want to become a fugitive?!" the ex-Precentor ROM roared, glaring at his captor like he'd gone insane. Oh, who was he kidding, Mars had always been insane, and this was just a potent reminder of that fact. The old fuck was still pining after a woman he'd killed himself half of a century ago - still stuck fixated on two emigrants he met one time sixty nine years ago!

Mark waggled a finger at him, clicking his tongue as though he were a mischievous child or somesuch. "Oh, you poor naive little bitch. You think this has anything to do with me thinking you would want to go on the lam with me? Karl, the only reason I asked you if that rag smelled like chloroform - why I've forced you to become a fugitive with me - is that you've got something I need for what I'm out to do; you know where I'm going better than I know it."

Karl's blood froze over as he stared up to the unbelievably smug face of his former subordinate. "...You're after the coordinates to Alphard."

"Yeah, that's its name, isn't it?" Mark agreed, staring down at him. "But you know something more important - you know the coordinates to it. You know where I need to look."

Karl drew a deep breath and thought about this situation. There was no way he'd convince Mark this was absurd through appealing to what was actually going to happen - that this ship was going to be boarded before it could leave the system, that they were both going to be executed under suspicion of being traitors to the order, that there was no way he'd managed to get all of this done in secret under the watchful eye of ROM - nor was there any value in appealing to some sense of loyalty to the order, to some sentiment that taking an Explorer Corps tramp, laden with a lithium fusion battery and mobile hyperpulse generator, into hostile territory deliberately and knowing that it would be outmatched was treason. There was only one thing he could hope to say in response now.

"If you go to Alphard in an Explorer Corps ship now, they'll kill you! You won't get any of the answers you're looking for! You'll just be dead!"

Mark reclined in his chair a bit, chuckling. "Well, we could always change ships part-way there, you know? There are plenty of trustworthy enough charter services out there if you look closely. Besides, I can't rightly divert this ship off of its planned course in the exotic lands of the 'Alexandrian Covenant', which you so wisely ordered us to investigate all of those years ago. I just made sure to gather my travel funds beforehand, and put enough people who'll do whatever I say on this mission to make sure I could sneak us onboard. Even if I were just going to die there, though… the reason I agreed to spend the rest of my life piloting that desk on Terra was the promise that I'd eventually learn what happened - that I'd get what I was living for some day, even if not in person. Now that I know it ain't going to happen that day, I've only got one thing left to live for - seeing it for myself."

"You're a lunatic." Karl spat, staring up at the old man in disgust. "In the first place, why would you expect me to be willing to work with you on this? I'll grant that I know where the planet is - what exactly you're looking for - but why in the holy names of Blake, Toyama, and Karpov would I ever be willing to cooperate with you on this farce of a mission?"

Mark cupped his cheek as he spoke in an amused voice. "You know, your cooperation would be appreciated, but when it comes down to it you're not necessarily needed. I could always just rent a place on Illyria for long enough to see which ship is offloading the germanium - which ship is from the O'Reilly expedition - and approach those folks with an offer to sell them the man who launched the big old brigade level attack on their homeworld. It'll be much less of an information leak - much less deadly to Comstar - if I can deliver you to them without talking openly about it on Illyria though."

"This is ridiculous." Karl huffed. "Am I going to be tied up like freshly caught game for this entire trip, by the way?"

Mark shook his head. "Only the parts where you might be able to pull something funny on us. I don't want your hands to rot off at the wrist before we get there, after all. Who really knows how long we'll be on the run together before we make it, after all? Be really inconvenient if I had to take care of your every need while hiding from ROM and making our way rimward."

---

Scene 2

---

Humanity's Revival Shipyard, Alphard System
Marian Union, Antispinward Periphery
July 2979

Melody Harper, PHE, finished struggling out of her spacesuit with a sigh, opening up the second locker apportioned to her and beginning to redress in her ordinary clothes. For all that even an armored spacesuit offered considerable flexibility in the vacuum, there was one thing she didn't like about it: the use of direct elastic pressure from the underlayer meant you had to wear it directly on the skin, or close to it, and the sensation of it squeezing you would always be there when you moved. It was a remarkably unsettling feeling that made her empathize with vacuum-sealed steak..

Maybe for people who routinely did spacewalks, that was fine and familiar, but she was normally more of a desk slug type. She couldn't be happier to get back into normal clothes, let alone to get back onto the station's gravity deck.

Not even a little bit.

Just as she, back in her dailywear, pulled herself over to the secondary airlock on the changing room to head deeper into the yard's central station hub, the door opened without her prompting and she was immediately face to face with her boss.

The overall manager of the project, Paul Modell, gave her a quick nod of acknowledgment before launching into an immediate debrief as he floated in the doorway. "So, what's the verdict?"

Melody furrowed her brow, her stress hormone levels spiking at the sudden ambush. "We have a room specifically for this purpose, and it's on the gravity deck. Were you hoping you'd catch me still partway through changing or something, or are you just that excited to hear that it's fucked?"

The middle aged man seemed to completely gloss over the critique and focus solely on the implications of that reciprocal question, his expression visibly falling. "You mean to say, the damage really is irrecoverable?"

Moving past him into the corridor, Melody traced the path towards glorious, weighted existence unflinchingly. "Yes, I mean to say that my verdict hasn't changed just by going out and confirming it myself. The data my technicians collected was accurate. Now, the production engineering team may be entirely correct in that there's nothing fundamentally wrong with cans one through seven - the ones that are already installed or under construction - and we can still cast cores out of them, but I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that the station frame is warped, cracked, and stressed over there in such ways that it won't just smile and bear further expansions in that direction. Seven cans is all you're getting over there."

High Philosopher Modell made an agonized squeak behind her. "That's a pathetic cut of planned capacity! If we can only perform seven castings concurrently… maximum output might only amount to two or three usable cores in a year, assuming typical reject rates, even at the fastest operating tempo."

Glancing back, Melody favored him with a gentle shrug. "Well, I'm sorry, but I can't go back in time and make a dropship not crash into the eighth can. From a material science perspective, it's just not realistic to expect that side of the station to endure the addition of an eighth can or further without a total overhaul - uninstalling everything, rebuilding the connector points completely, and then building the frame back out from the station core. The bend runs all the way back."

"You said that sort of work might take a year! The entire project would be delayed massively." he cried back, audibly pulling himself along the wall faster. "Surely there's got to be some alternative approach."

Melody slipped into the waiting room for the transfer shuttle, smiling as she found the vehicle still waiting to ferry her up to grav deck speeds. "Let's get buckled in. We'll talk on the way into civilized territory."

"...Must you really refer to it that way?" Paul asked as he followed her in getting into the seat harnesses onboard.

Melody waited to give her response until the button to launch the shuttle down its rail had been pressed. "Yes. Zero G is no space to be nattering back and forth about technical plans. If I'm going to talk tech, I'd like to at least be a little comfortable about it - so I'll call the space where I'm not comfortable exactly what it is."

"Career spacers would probably be quite cross with you." her boss noted, before remembering that there was a point to their discussion. "Now, tell me, in your opinion how do we work around the damage here without disassembling that side of the yard entirely for your proposed overhaul?"

Shooting back a faint smile as the slightest semblance of real weight came over them, Melody folded her hands together. "Well, there are really three ways you could do it. First, you ride the ass of the production engineers to upgrade the cans themselves to have a lower reject rate than is expected, which would be expensive as fuck. Second, we throw our hands in the air and build a second station entirely, and we transfer the current productive components over to it as they're overhauled while we restore the fundamental frame of this one, and in the end you build it back out with new cans and such to end up with two entire yards. Third, you change the plans for the station fundamentally. The current plan was, I think, thirty cans and fifteen gantries in a long rod configuration? Of course, that girth was never meant to be achieved in the thirtieth century. In any case, something that makes use of the station as it exists rather than trying to reach for more advanced fabrication gear or replace it entirely is probably the cheapest way to get us back on our planned trajectory."

"Quite a daring suggestion" the man commented, visibly daring her to elaborate on how she figured it ought to be altered.

Crossing her legs, she glanced out the window at the rapidly passing gravity deck. "There are a few possible form factors you could target for this. You could just mirror the current configuration, albeit without the crippling frame damage, or you could construct a massive center hub to attach the current gantry section to, with slots for five more of the things. Six sets of seven cans and four or five gantries, allowing plenty of maintenance space alongside construction space, room for unplanned successful cores to be used, you name it. That'd be a total of forty two core foundries and twenty four to thirty hull construction and maintenance gantries - plenty of room for servicing and maintenance. Later on you could even still renovate the can arm of the current station and start expanding all six arms outward, to move maintenance work off of this yard and fully dedicate it to construction. Thirty construction slipways would be a damned beefy yard."

Paul closed his eyes and thought about that. "We'd have to more than double the prior budget of the project to achieve that sort of fundamental revamp and expansion, let alone if we want it completed within the current timeframe."

"What, you think they wouldn't approve the overruns?" Melody asked. "I'm not joking when I say that it's probably the cheaper way to get back on track to our production targets after the enemy vetoed the original design. I mean, maybe building the second station would be cheaper still, but frankly there are some problems with the current design - it's the simplest to build, but the more it's expanded the longer the travel distances end to end will become, and the busier the surrounding space will need to get to keep things moving smoothly. Hell, it doesn't even necessarily need to run like I'm imagining it if we secure funding for a core hub - maybe the opposite side from us is a clone of the current setup for balance reasons, but instead of three hundred kilotons, one axis is building six hundred and the third twelve hundred kiloton vessels. It'd be a way to unify multiple sizes of shipyard into one central structure."

Paul covered his mouth, going silent for a bit before suddenly speaking up again. "You know, I think that might be why they'll ultimately just go for a second station. And not even one planned at the current size - one closer to the current size."

Melody froze, staring at him. "Bwuh?"

Folding his hands together, the man sighed. "It's exactly like you said. The enemy vetoed our plans for this shipyard. I think what will get the most buy-in from the eggheads will be a network of smaller orbiting shipyards that satisfy our overall construction demands - some in the Alphard system, some - if possible - moved to other systems as they become able to sustain the infrastructure to a reasonable degree. A less efficient but more robust decentralized infrastructure is exactly the lesson we should take from this catastrophe. If I went to them and tried to ask for the budget to redesign this thing into a megastation right now, I'd be out of my job in a heartbeat. No… if we get this station building one traditional and one fast jumping ship every year, with an extra, or maybe a Warship, every few years? That would be good enough for it."

"...Oddly self sacrificing of you." Melody noted. "Given that you're only in charge of this particular station and not, say, all of the other little stations that you're proposing should pop up in the near future."

"I'd like to stay in charge of this station, at least." Paul quipped back, casting his hands out wide. "I've gotten rather familiar with it so far, after all."

Melody wrinkled her nose at him as the boarding shuttle reached rotational parity with the gravity deck. "Fair. So, what, are you going to propose for the new station - three construction slipways?"

"I'd normally suggest just two slipways." he commented as he unbuckled himself. "Given that the goal is to get them done fast, but yes, I think in context three would be good for a standard capacity per station. One Star Lord, one jumpship built with the imported fast-jump technology, like our inaugural experiment, and finally…one corvette, given the need for security. Of course, whatever specification they decide on for that, the slipway will need to be built to handle. I suspect they'll be eager to take a proposal like that, given current conditions."

"...Corvettes are meant to be screening and scouting ships, right?" Melody asked, genuinely not quite sure about naval design doctrine. She just built space stations, after all - the HE in PHE stood for habitat engineering. WarShips hadn't really been central to her education. "Do you think that'd call for a fast-jump drive or a more traditional design?"

Paul smiled back at her as he stepped off the shuttle. "I have no fucking idea. We'll just build what they tell us to build."

It was good to be in like-minded company, she guessed.

---

Scene 3

---

Chaldea, Alphard
July 2979

"We've really got to stop doing this." Petra commented, looking over the quartet of people seated around the lounge table with her once everyone had settled in. "It's counterproductive in the long run, you know?"

Her brother in law shot her a bemused look as he spoke up. "Stop doing what, then? Holding get-togethers as an extended family?"

Lily, the incumbent Dominisa, shot her father an unamused look as she elbowed him in the side. "Meeting in private the moment some news comes in, dad. Did you know that one in five modern thriller novels written in the Union features 'an unassuming visit to Castle O'Reilly' or vice versa as a major plot point?"

Her grandmother immediately quirked her head her way. "Is that the sort of thing the statistics department is cooking up these days? I assume it's not just a matter of them having free time on their hands, given how positively exciting the last decade has been."

Petra interjected with a raised hand. "Actually, I've seen that statistic too, which is why I broached the topic. It was forwarded around by Tribunal Dux Hawley - something produced by the civil affairs department, evidently. I believe the point being made is that people have come, to some extent, to see these kinds of meetings as where the real politics happen, which degrades the perceived significance of the actual assemblies, joint or otherwise. Granted, a pop cultural trend isn't the same thing as an actual article of belief, but…"

Alan looked pointedly and silently out the window toward the looming structure of Castle O'Reilly, as though to make the unsaid joke of 'but look, we aren't visiting the castle at all!'. Petra snorted silently at the clownish display, but otherwise let it go uncommented on.

"But it can turn into one. Just like how these private get togethers often turn into brainstorming sessions, just like they think." John commented, shifting slightly and yet totally altering the appearance of the room with his mammoth form. "...It's a genuine issue we've been building ourselves since the start - especially since we keep these events so private, but…"

Lily stuck out her tongue. "I can't imagine how I would have grown up if every birthday I had included a massive televised event or something. Let alone if every moment two big names left the ballroom or whatever, gossip sprung up over what was going on back there."

"Embracing that level of pageantry would only reduce the perception, yes." Petra commented, feeling no more at ease with the alternative than the others. "And it's possible that letting people see it that way - which, yes, is true - isn't really too harmful in the long run, given that we've still obviously got to convince representatives to vote for whatever we brainstorm up, but I feel like from the perspective of not wanting to sacrifice our entire lives to public policy matters, it would be best if we were to wean the Academy off of depending on Claytons for ideas a bit, and likewise the Senate off of O'Reillys."

Amelia smiled faintly at that. "Sounds like somebody needs a term limit."

Petra rolled her eyes back. "Oh come off it. You needed so much convincing to amend your own rules to allow that. I mean, yeah, I'll get around to it, but I'm talking more generally."

The older woman's smile faded into a shallow frown at that. "Perhaps, but it could be dangerous to loosen the grip of the duxes too much. We've seen now, from Comstar, what a sufficiently loosely handled cult can get up to, for example - atrocities, if you wouldn't know."

Lily glanced at her grandmother, her voice taking a bit of a sharpish tone. "Or maybe what we're seeing here is what a cult can do when its leader holds the reins a bit too tightly. It's impossible for us to say - we don't have that sort of intimate look into their innermost psyches. Aunt Petra isn't saying we need to abolish the positions of Dominus and Consul, just that the system doesn't necessarily need us constantly sticking our fingers in in order to have good ideas - and that eventually we might be glad to have them confident enough to shut down our own bad ideas.That's how you and dad got your retirements, after all."

"Now, now." John cautioned, his hands out, palms facing forward. "Let's not get too deep into this topic when we've got a birthday party to get back to. We're only adding more fuel to this fire by going off into the adult's corner to 'scheme' or whatever."

"True." Petra acknowledged. "It'd be horrible - and horribly ironic - if we ruined Marisa's birthday party because we were too busy griping at each-other about our tendency to gripe and scheme every time we end up alone in a room together. Let's get back out there before we're missed too much."

- -

Kallipolis, Alphard
July 2979

As the streets rolled by outside, Lily glanced away from the window of the official car and over to her grandparents, who looked as though they still had a lot on their minds.

"Something still eating you about this situation?" she asked.

Her grandmother, the last Cameron of the Star League, folded her hands together. "I… this whole business with Comstar has brought back to the surface some things I'd forgotten for quite some time, you know? Even back when we were young, we had some sense that the organization couldn't be trusted, hence why we went to so much effort to leave Terra. Hindsight being what it is, I've been struck with the sudden recollection that we could have signed Comstar's death warrant the very first thing on our journey - and I very nearly didn't remember what it would have cost to do it."

"What would it have cost?" the sitting Dominisa asked, her head cocked to the side.

John, whose sheer stature had dictated the proportions of the bus-like official vehicle, sighed. "The Krakatoa protocol, I think it was called. The Invisible Palace came equipped with a time-delayed killswitch which would have caused mass destruction on Terra through a vast, artificial eruption and disrupted the lives of billions. It may well have been enough to destroy Comstar in its own right, if we had the monstrous callousness to pull that trigger, but there was another option out there - the Palace had its own HPG unit, and if we had wished it, we could have sent out the generalized trigger message for the kill switch built into all standard-vintage HPGs, which would have propagated until the Inner Sphere was plunged into a new era of darkness, and Terra was torn to shreds by a five-pointed invasion with its neutrality no longer guaranteed."

"Make no mistake, for all that we owe him everything we've been able to achieve, Jonathan Cameron was absolutely insane - just not in the way that was often imagined." Amelia tacked on, cupping her chin.

"I can see that." Lily acknowledged, before going back to looking outside.

Those at the head of the bus fell silent for a few minutes, before Lily eventually spoke up again with a sigh. "Well, it was the right thing on your part not to embrace that monstrousness. That said, we're undeniably at war with Comstar now, and on a distinctly defensive footing. That means reevaluating our resources and options, and judging how we might protect what we've built here."

"Are we going back to the days of setting the Senate's policy priorities along with the Academy's now, despite that conversation earlier?" Amy asked, her lips downturned a bit. "It'd be a bit odd after our talk earlier."

"The two are inherently connected - enough so that I'm thinking of what to bring up when the Joint Assembly is next convened." Lily retorted, leaning her face against the window. "If we don't do anything to veto their plans back, Comstar is at leisure to make as many attempts against us as they've got resources for - hell, even the shipyards of the League can keep trying to nail down our location if they've got the energy. We might weather those attempts, or we might die in silence. All the same, I think it's time to reevaluate what value we get from our policy of total obscurity when we've already been discovered, and when we're becoming increasingly easy to discover. The policy of total secrecy was born of a need for time to build the capacity to defend ourselves against the Inner Sphere. If, as has been suggested, we're still on track to try and launch our first WarShips within a decade or similar, it may be a more practical option to make some showing of our power, announce our presence, and formally accuse them of the attack. We might just be safer as a rising superpower than as a mysterious blank spot on the map at this point. If so, well… the time to let the Senate off its leash was always going to come."

"Assuming, of course, that they actually decide to go for such a massive change of pace at your prompting, what kind of gesture of 'invincibility' are you actually imagining here?" her father asked, from the seat behind her. "Circinus, maybe?"

"Reducing the number of pirate kingdoms in the world by one would be a start." she admitted. "But it's hardly the most visible of acts - they don't have HPG service there, unless we want to broadcast it ourselves from a shipboard unit and get everyone in the Sphere clamoring to renegotiate their contracts with Comstar or else switch to our network - or conquer us and damn the cost. Honestly, this isn't something for us to decide in this van, though - there are people who've studied the theory behind this kind of diplomatic move their whole lives, and they know a hell of a lot more about it than I do, for lack of experience. Whatever we do will still need to be motivated by a sober assessment of our armed preparedness and our ability to keep off the spies."

"Good to mention that aspect." Amelia agreed, nodding slowly - probably to keep her joints from complaining too much. "That's the other big consideration in revealing ourselves - making sure we can avoid getting infested with the entire Spheroid and Periphery intelligence community in unison. Our intelligence service is…I don't want to say green, but circumstance has hardly given them the opportunity to be more than passable, so it'd be hubristic to call them anything else."

Alan suddenly let out a snort of laughter which totally flew in the face of the seriousness of the moment. "Oh god, I'm sorry, but the thought just came over me of how incredibly strange it would be if we ended up in some arrangement with the Canopians and Taurians to counterbalance the Sphere, here. Does the concept of Periphery Solidarity apply to a Terran-founded, Cameron-led nation?"

"Well obviously you don't tell them that part!" John quipped back, apparently feeling a matching need to break out of the deathly serious tone of things.

"No," Lily joined, with a smile. "Obviously, we tell them the Amaris part - perhaps the one thing that might just make them even angrier."

Joining on the deranged swing of the conversation, her grandmother was the last to contribute to the absurd scenario. "Do you figure they'd just take it as a funny joke if we just told them the whole truth?"

"Nobody would ever admit to that even if it was true. The 'obvious' explanation for our existence is just that we made a lucky find."

Lily turned back toward her father, the very person who'd started the joke, and furrowed her brow deeply at him. "Come oooon. That's not a funny way to end the back and forth at all!"

--------

My brain started shutting down whenever I tried to come up with an approach to a third scene that satisfied me, or to write the scene as one continuous conversation that flowed naturally, or whatever, so scene 3 exists even though I don't like it. The remaining lifespan of this story is short in the quasi-creative part of my brain - it might end as soon as chapter 42.

The remaining lifespan of this story is short in the quasi-creative part of my brain - it might end as soon as chapter 42.
Ahh! I hope it doesn't end so soon, I really like this. If you aren't enjoying it as much as you used to, or it's being a bit more difficult to get those creative juices flowing you could consider a hiatus though?
Honestly I'd be happy to keep trading this to chapter 100 and beyond! I really like the style you use to tell the story and how the story has gone so far. I absolutely think you could do a multi-generational saga thing, since that's what it really feels like now as the focus shifts with the origin 2 MCs getting older and their children getting more screen time etc.

Either way I'll enjoy what you choose to write, and thanks for writing it!

Ahh! I hope it doesn't end so soon, I really like this. If you aren't enjoying it as much as you used to, or it's being a bit more difficult to get those creative juices flowing you could consider a hiatus though?
Honestly I'd be happy to keep trading this to chapter 100 and beyond! I really like the style you use to tell the story and how the story has gone so far. I absolutely think you could do a multi-generational saga thing, since that's what it really feels like now as the focus shifts with the origin 2 MCs getting older and their children getting more screen time etc.

Either way I'll enjoy what you choose to write, and thanks for writing it!
We're actually very close to the originally planned ending of this story, I've just been adding more arcs and things that weren't part of the original concept for the story this whole time so the thing has ballooned long beyond the original plan - bear in mind that before this story, my longest story was only 13 chapters long (...and only viewable on QQ, despite the fact that it's pretty decidedly SFW. I really fucking need to get around to crossposting that one.). This wasn't even planned for much over 20 chapters, but it's at 40 now. I'm just running out of the sort of manic energy and enthusiasm for the concept that padded out the timeline so much, and I'd like to let it end soonish so I can explore other story ideas or use the time it takes for life stuff rather than continue the endless expansion of the scope of things.

Something like 100 chapters is absolutely not happening. I've been writing this story continuously every other week for a year and a half now, and that's a fucking long time.

Besides which, I've found in the past that hiatuses do more to hinder my writing and inspiration than boost it.

Last edited:
We're actually very close to the originally planned ending of this story, I've just been adding more arcs and things that weren't part of the original concept for the story this whole time so the thing has ballooned long beyond the original plan - bear in mind that before this story, my longest story was only 13 chapters long (...and only viewable on QQ, despite the fact that it's pretty decidedly SFW. I really fucking need to get around to crossposting that one.). This wasn't even planned for much over 20 chapters, but it's at 40 now. I'm just running out of the sort of manic energy and enthusiasm for the concept that padded out the timeline so much, and I'd like to let it end soonish so I can explore other story ideas or use the time it takes for life stuff rather than continue the endless expansion of the scope of things.

Something like 100 chapters is absolutely not happening. I've been writing this story continuously every other week for a year and a half now, and that's a fucking long time.

Besides which, I've found in the past that hiatuses do more to hinder my writing and inspiration than boost it.
Thats fair, then I'll make sure to check out what your write in the future! Any ideas you've already got planned?

To be blunt this story probably has a lot potential for a sequel albeit one that could less focused on the Marians and comstar and instead on the Inner sphere and Periphery at wide. Also I take it they destroyed those contingencies means of activation before they left terra?

To be blunt this story probably has a lot potential for a sequel albeit one that could less focused on the Marians and comstar and instead on the Inner sphere and Periphery at wide. Also I take it they destroyed those contingencies means of activation before they left terra?
The trigger for the Krakatoa - and indeed the primary device itself - was built into the Invisible Palace itself, which entered a permanent lockdown mode when they left and then 'quietly' (meaning with a minimal disruption to the surrounding area) self destructed several years later, as they instructed in...like...chapter 7 maybe? Whichever the last one set on Terra was.

The HPG thing is much harder to disable, though, because it takes the form of a hidden, deliberately engineered vulnerability built into every HPG built according to the designs the Star League produced for common usage. If the timeline hadn't diverged from the default course (something resembling canon), it would have been triggered centuries later to cause the Blackout.

Last edited:
So the Wall wasn't a Secret Star League Project?
The Wall is just small, disposable jump drives that were stockpiled in remarkably vast numbers, meant to be fired at the location of any unwelcome visitors - those who cannot message their IFF and jump solution ahead of their arrival - to to trigger a mutual misjump. It works on the principle that the initial detectable jump signature emerges several minutes before the ship itself, and larger vessels have longer lasting jump signatures.

The Krakatoa Protocol is just a series of immense artificial eruptions sufficient to badly disrupt Terran civilization, while the blackout is a deliberate vulnerability meant to be used to deny HPG access to enemies of the Camerons.

I, also, would enjoy reading a sequel story to this one about how everyone else deals with the ripple effects caused by the altered Marians.

Not impossible in the vastness of the future.

As an aside, the next chapter will be delayed a week: I've been hit hard with a flu or something this entire week and gotten nothing done, whether on life stuff or my other story.

Chapter 41 (November 2979 - July 2986)
---
Scene 1
---

Yanhua City, Ge-Fu
Capella Commonality, Capellan Confederation
November 2979

"We've been here for an awful long time, old man." Karl challenged, pointing with his chopsticks at his captor.

Mark didn't seem to care, though. He ignored the critique outright as he picked up and ate a shrimp dumpling. "It's vulgar to point with those, you know? When in Rome, do as the Romans do."

"You're being awfully calm about this." Karl huffed, lowering the things despite himself. Honestly, he couldn't really figure out how to use them properly yet. He didn't have the worldly breadth of experience that let the crazy old fuck walk into a dim sum place and eat like a natural - he'd admit that much. "Wouldn't you say your entire plan is going down the drain? We've got damned apartment in the Capellan Confederation now, Mark. Karl Simms and Mark Mars, immigrants to the runt of the litter!"

"Ah-ah-ah!" the old man chastened. "The lease on that apartment isn't under either of those names. You need to get used to it now - you're Paul Marquez, I'm Linus Stallman. And while I'm at it, do your share of the bloody chores, why don't you?"

Karl grimaced. "I'm amazed you finally figured out that reusing your own first name in your aliases wasn't a good idea."

Mark gave him a toothy smile. "How stupid do you think I am? I always knew that was a dumb idea. Well, it helped to keep it from being suspicious if I responded to the wrong name, of course, but there was a deeper meaning to it. Nobody expects me to pick a good alias, with the long record of bad ones that's written down."

Karl furrowed his brow, setting down the chopsticks and just eating a dumpling with his bare hands. "You haven't been fucking planning this since you were a young man, don't lie to me. What possible purpose would you have for making that sort of mistake on purpose while out on official business, just so you can swap it up later? The Blessed Order is the only people who even have a list like that!"

It was a very good thing for Mark that he'd already checked this private room for bugs, and that the restaurant in general was quite loud. Karl… was reluctantly pleased with that fact as well - he wanted to get caught by the ROM officers at the HPG station flat on the other side of the planet, not by the Maskirovka.

Slurping some noodles, the rogue Precentor of the Explorer Corps did his best to make Karl wait for the answer, by all appearances. "It just seemed like it might be useful some day, honestly. Particularly after my faith was broken, you see. Ah, as a young boy I may genuinely have been that stupid, but once the Word of Blake became so much wasted ink to me, I had the question planted in the back of my head - what if I'm the one who's set to get erased next?"

"...Well, I suppose that makes sense. One might just decide they need that contingency, when they've been made to liquidate their own beloved mentor. At least, if they had the capacity to have a beloved mentor to begin with - it was a mistake to let that sort of psych profile slip through into ROM." Karl mused out loud.

"Comstar makes lots of mistakes."

Massaging his forehead at the juvenile snipe, Karl let the conversation fall silent for a few minutes as he ate.

He wasn't particularly crazy about this kind of food, but he had to acknowledge the skillful craft of the lower class Capellans who made it, at least.

Eventually, though, he returned to the prior topic. "Now, let's not get off track again. You're not making yourself seem much more competent by just deflecting from the matter, you lunatic. Why are we still on Gei Fu? Why are we renting here? What the hell has happened to your plan to reach Alphard?"

Mark rested his wrinkled face in one hand - one of those hands that still bore much of the terrifying strength of his youth, as Karl had not too distantly been reminded of. "We'll need to disappear for a while to confuse the pursuit, Karl. We were never going to get all the way out there on that damned ship, not with the Order scrambled to track us down. After a few months, maybe years, Linus Stallman and Paul Marquez will expatriate from the Capellan Confederation using their abundant travel funds, alongside a number of friends - members of my handpicked crew, if you hadn't realized they were living in this city along with us - and charter a series of ships to go the rest of the way. That's how we're going to make it closer to the destination without getting tracked down by your successor's hunting dogs and silenced in an all-you-can-eat buffet's bathroom, or vented across the vastness of space."

"So, you've put some thought into this."

"It's all I've put any thought into."

Karl sighed heavily. If it had been possible to dissuade this man from the absurd course he'd chosen to walk at any point, he would have diverted from his path by now. Unfortunately, Mark Mars was utterly mad, driven purely by his obsession and immune to all manner of reason. "You're an absurd man. A normal person would simply accept that they were living one of the best lives imaginable, for one of the best purposes imaginable, and accepted the quibbling doubts as they were rather than hyperfixating on one fatal quest."

Mark frowned. "Ah, yes, a normal person, with their endless capacity to gaslight themself. 'This is okay, this is what I wanted' - the refrain of those who are known as 'sane'. What makes me so crazy about deciding to actually do what's on my bucket list, rather than soldier on through to the retirement of the grave knowing I've left questions unanswered? The definition of sanity is compliance to societal expectations and norms, and in the kingdom of the mad, the one who knows themself and stays true to that knowledge is known as insane."

Karl frowned. "And Comstar is that kingdom to you?"

"What else could it be?" Mark asked, casting his arms out wide to further emphasize the vigorous rhetorical question. "I've got my own reading of the scriptures, Karl. The will of Jerome Blake was that Comstar should act as a reservoir of knowledge, to replenish the vigor of humanity in the possible future where the Carrion Lords destroyed the fundamentals of interstellar civilization completely and utterly. It was a time capsule for a future he hoped would not come - and it nearly did not come. Humanity drew back from the precipice of annihilation laid by the First Succession War in terror, knowing the repugnance of what their hands had fashioned. But…" he paused, for effect.

Karl frowned. He knew where this was going.

"Conrad Toyama saw it differently. He believed it inevitable that such a future would come to pass, and that when it did, Comstar would need to be powerful enough to assume control and reign forever as the masters of humanity." Mark declared with a contemptuous snort. "So he put all of the work Blake, the pacifist, had done to a new purpose - causing the Second Succession War, in all of its increased brutality. Were it not for that man, humanity might not have fallen at all - and were it not for the successor he chose, Raymond Karpov, humanity may very well have managed to stand back up by now. And yet, Comstar continues on that path, convinced of the incurable brutality of the Spheroid - their unquenchable thirst for annihilation - and the barbarism of the Periphery States, whose people truthfully simply wish to recover the better lives their ancestors had. The mission has shifted from preventing, or at least remedying, the destruction of civilization, to causing it and profiting from it. We have all committed the evil that we see in the House Lord, and we are the heirs to a tradition of wickedness as profound as any their hands have wrought. Would Jerome Blake have wished for us to harass and rob the Axumites? No, and my hands are stained by the act. Would he have wished for you to attempt the immediate annihilation of the Alphardians? Certainly not, and shame on you for trying it. Jerome Blake would have been delighted to know that somewhere beyond the violence of the Sphere, the resilient seeds of humanity still sprouted strong."

The former Precentor ROM's neck itched at the heretical swill being spewed before him, but he tamped down on it. "What, then? Do you, with your adorably naive view of the scripture, view yourself as the one true Blakist? Do you believe yourself to be the pebble that stops an avalanche?"

Mark smiled. "Goodness, no. I respect parts of Blake's philosophy a bit, but the man was a pretentious asshat - and besides that, certainly no manner of god. But I think you'll find that there are many, many pebbles who would gladly stop the avalanche of your madness if they only knew it existed. The ideals of Toyama and Karpov may have permeated the inner cloisters of the order, but I've always known the common Acolyte to love only Blake."

Karl frowned. "Well, yes. It makes them less likely to let on our great mission to the outside if they don't know about it. It's a matter of safety from the barbarism of the Inner Sphere that they are left ignorant."

"No, you pompous ass." Mark corrected, reaching out to pat Karl on the shoulder - an act the man flinched away from. "You leave them ignorant of your twisted mission - the mission I've done so much to further already - because you, in the back of your mind, know they would see the insanity in it if they heard about it. You know they would recoil from the First Circuit and its workings if they saw the true face of their leadership - but instead of reflecting on yourself, you blame the faithless. There is more beauty in the days work of one faithless child, though, than you have created in the sum totality of your life - as they would recognize it, and as I do as well."

Karl sat silently for a moment. "So, what of it, then? What does any of this have to do with your mad dash for a death at the hands of the bees I've kicked the hive of?"

Mark frowned. "Why, what doesn't it have to do it? Of course, I hope to learn the truth of the matter - to discover just what happened to the couple I once knew, but I'd also like to die with a clean conscience one day. So, when I get there I'll try my best to evaluate the situation - to judge the character of the people you've decided to call, of all things, damned insects - and if I'm convinced of their decency by what I've seen, I'll tell them everything I know - and everything you know, if I can manage it. I'll even help them to tell the rank and file of Comstar all of that, if they decide to try such a stunt. It's high time that someone consider doing what must be done to clean away the principal infection of civilization, such that the prior conditions it has aggravated for so many years can be treated."

Though a scalding response did come briefly to his mind, Karl instead seethed silently at that, picking at his food for the rest of the meal as the comparison of Comstar to a virus, a worm, a fungus, or any other kind of mere pathogen churned around in the back of his head. Who was Mark Mars, to question the words of prophets? Of saints? Who was he to indict those who had cleared the path he'd had the opportunity to walk?

A madman, fixated on finding a fitting grave. A heretic, fixated on destroying all the work of their predecessors. It was as simple as that.

There was no sense in talking with the man. He'd simply need to seek his opportunity to break away from him and call upon a more reasonable listener to intervene.

---
Scene 2
---

Hargeysa, Thala
Axumite Providence, Antispinward Periphery
March 2983

"Peace be upon you, as well as the mercy of god and his blessings." the councilman greeted, gesturing toward the table with a smile.

Returning the smile, Ambassador Pawol Jablonski gave the matched response before heeding the gesture. "And peace be upon you."

Councilman Aye Barre Mahad settled into his seat with a nod. "It is good, in these times of tumult, to host an ambassador conversant in our own tongue. It makes matters far more certain for one to whom the maintenance of dialogues has been delegated, such as myself.

"It is just as good to be hosted by friends." Pawol replied, his hands folded on his lap. As one of those in Marian lands who professed a religion not Prometheanism, he'd often encountered times on Alphard where things had, despite the mandate of religious tolerance, gone slightly outside of the range of comfort for him. Having the chance to act as ambassador to a country where his creed was - at the very least - mostly aligned with the local one was a rare treat.

The aged Axumite chuckled briefly. "I can only imagine. Now, I will of course offer hospitality, but before we share a meal I would ask you - apart from the simple formality of it, what has compelled you to request this meeting?"

Pawol pursed his lips. "Have you perhaps not received the package sent by your own ambassador yet? If so, I have mistimed this meeting."

"Ah." Aye grumbled, pinching his forehead. "I shall need to have a talk with those responsible for inspecting the cargo. You are of course entitled to the unhindered receipt of your own diplomatic bags, but why should those inbound from our own ambassador be held up in our system? Regardless, I would not be opposed to hearing about this matter from you first, since we have already sat down together."

The ambassador nodded. "As you wish. The short summary of what has occurred, to my understanding, is that the investigation into the identity of the brigands who have harassed your territory, and who assaulted our own in numbers, has been verified beyond the level of trusting their own words. Agents dispersed as merchants have reported back that Comstar, the interstellar telecommunications monopoly and religious organization which ties the Inner Sphere together and rules Terra, does indeed operate an 'Explorer Corps' which uses such ships as we have encountered with near exclusivity, apparently produced primarily for their usage and that of the rest of the fleet of the so-called 'Blessed Order'. As a successor to the Star League Ministry of Communications, it stands to reason that the cult would have elevated its hereditary terran supremacism to the level of religious credo, I suppose."

"Of course they would have, the damned savages." Aye huffed. "Even in our own recordings of history, the government of Terra was not to be trusted with anything of importance. To think, though, that they would craft a false god in the name of their ambitions. Have they advertised their role in this matter?"

Pawol shook his head. "A neutral and supposedly minimally militarized organization could hardly advertise such a thing openly, but they are the only credible sources for this violence. The Tramp class jumpship, let alone the modified variant we have encountered, was virtually extinct in the Inner Sphere until a few decades ago due to its design inconsistencies with the requirements of bulk trade, and a history of retooling yards equipped to build them for Star Lord class jumpships, which were far better suited to such. Furthermore, your first recorded encounters with the pirates matches closely with when the first - we suspect very heavily doctored - survey maps of the coreward-antispinward periphery began to be released for purchase, while our own encounter with them, though most likely precipitated by the prior unrelated attack on our territory, seems to have come so late due to their clockwise deployment, starting from that region of the periphery and moving 'right', by the conventional reckoning of Spheroid maps: the sector of space where Alphard is located would, by that standard, be the last area to be deeply probed."

The councilman hummed. "Then it is your conclusion, in essence, that this 'Explorer Corps', though advertised to the public as an ambitious step forward from the dark age of the Succession Wars into a more enlightened age, is in fact a search and destroy mission intended to cripple non-Spheroid civilizations?"

"If nothing else, such a mission is embedded in the Corps, and we have abundant reason to believe that it is a core principle of it." he agreed, popping his neck as one of those on staff brought in a pot of tea. "The attacks we know to have occurred began very nearly concurrently with the start of the Corps' operations, implying that Comstar had such intentions from the very beginning. We may surmise from this that they feel threatened by the existence of viable civilizations beyond the range of their monopoly - perhaps they fear that the Hyperpulse Generator will be reinvented by a distant rival and sold to their customers, or perhaps they have their own hidden ambitions of conquest over the former Star League. Either way, their enmity towards our nations cannot be denied, and it is the opinion of the Senate that they have declared war on both of our nations through their conduct."

Aye brought his hands together on the table as the tea was poured. "Of course, I recognize the sentiment, but does it not seem a bit infeasible for us to prosecute such a war from our current position? Your nation is still busied with its defensive preparations, while ours has a considerable military technical deficit to surmount. Allowing that we are at war, what do you propose?"

Pawol smiled, taking a sip of his tea - while it was still quite hot, that was just fine by his estimation - before responding. "The Joint Assembly of the Marian Union has authorized an additional transfer of technology to assist in the rearmament of the Axumite Providence and the strengthening of ties between our nations. You will receive documentation on the production, upkeep, and utilization of twenty-sixth century military equipment both heavy and light, to enable you to better defend your vessels and worlds from their depredations once you are able to establish production. You will also receive the technical documentation behind the production and operation of Hyperpulse Generators, in the hope that we will be able to collaborate on the establishment of a more rapid communication corridor between our nations."

"The Marian Union is excessively generous as always." the councilman observed, taking a sip of his own tea. "What would you expect in exchange for this transfer, then? Surely you do not believe that our industries will be ready to implement production of such advanced technologies in such a short timespan as to immediately commence construction. We will need to remilitarize using our own technologies before we can even consider integrating yours into an upgrade package, and I cannot imagine we will be able to swiftly establish production of these 'Hyperpulse Generator' communications devices - you would surely have built the communications line yourselves before we could even commence work."

Well, it was only natural to be suspicious under these circumstances. The original imbalanced trade had been an accident, after all - not like this one, where a generous technology transfer was being offered with full knowledge that there was nothing in particular to be exchanged. Pawol would have asked what the catch was too, in Aye's circumstances.

"On the one hand, we would like to purchase some jumpships from your fleet to compensate for the disruptions we've experienced, if you are able. Even using outdated drives with somewhat shorter ranges, we believe the ships may be viable along some routes in our borders as a stopgap measure to expand throughput." Pawol explained, glancing down into his tea. "However, that is not the primary hope as we extend this offer of mutual aid. Simply put, our expectation is for you to - as you continue your remilitarization - work to capture the Comstar vessels that enter your territory, and to scout out the locations of their own communications network. We have confirmed they've established production of acceleration-tolerant HPGs from our own experiences and come to the conclusion that the operations of the Explorer Corps couldn't work at all without the use of a communication satellite network branching into the Deep Periphery. It is our hope, while we work to establish our own scaled production of hyperpulse generators, that we can fill the space between us with units stolen from our enemies. We'll transfer all the passcodes we believe should be necessary to properly hijack them to you, of course. Aside from that, wasting their resources is the main goal - if they want to salt the earth of the periphery, it's better to ensure they bleed heavily for it than not."

Aye closed his eyes and breathed out heavily. "An understandable goal, but… surely you must realize how odd it is for you to casually state that you will transfer to us what must, assuredly, have been state secrets of the Star League era in exchange for us acting in what amounts to our own self interest. What I hope you will answer for me is this: how have you even managed to accumulate such passcodes to begin with? What backdoors in their systems can you actually claim to control?"

Pawol shrugged. "While the Promethean Order is, of course, wrong to make a religious creed of mere secular knowledge, I have been adequately convinced over the years that they are the inheritors to the full intellectual and technological legacy of the Star League through some or another means. I do not intend to interrogate the matter too deeply, but if Comstar is an heir of the Star League which seeks to replicate its evils, I would image the Prometheans as heirs to the Star League who have made the opposite commitment, and seek to make reparations for its history of wrongdoings."

Perhaps, just perhaps, that extended so far as to motivate the technology transfers in its own right - separate from all matters of bolstering the war effort or tying their states together, perhaps the plan was simply to gradually drip feed the sum totality of their knowledge to Axum, to cast a torch into the deep periphery where it would continue to burn even if the Promethean flame was extinguished forever in the brewing conflict. Where the Terran Hegemony had worked so hard to conceal knowledge and to act as a single point of failure, the Order had - after all - opted instead to make it as abundantly available in the Union's borders as was feasible, by all accounts.

Perhaps, to be more concise, they'd quietly nominated Axum as the heir to their mission to restore humanity's technological legacy to the world in the event of their own annihilation, and simply not told anyone outside of the Joint Assembly building. The thought made Pawol's mouth feel a bit dry. It was somehow both reassuring in its own way and utterly uncomfortable to consider.

He wondered if Aye had picked up on the possibility.

The councilman pinched his forehead and let out a heavy sigh. "I will present this matter to the council as a whole, of course. However, I cannot guarantee any particular response or level of comprehension from them. I myself can barely comprehend how your nation functions, let alone what string of absurdities may have created it. I do suspect the call of your technology will eventually win over the discussion, but… shall we retire to more relaxing discourse and activities before I suffer an aneurysm?"

"I would have no objections to that."

Truthfully, Pawol was of the group who accepted as probable truth the rumor that the Claytons were actually descendants of the last First Lords of the Star League despite the long maintained official story that their occasional use of the 'Cameron' name was just a coincidence, but he certainly didn't consider it a certain enough thing to spread around thoughtlessly, nor did he consider it compatible with his duties to risk becoming the source of an info leak of that magnitude, if it was true. Even for a friend, even for an ally, he'd keep silent about that belief.

It was still one of the most credible explanations he could think of for how the Promethean Order ended up knowing so much, though. Who else but the literal heirs to the Star League would be endowed with so much information? The supposed god they worshiped was simply a vast database dressed up in ritual and prayer - it had no actual discretion with which to deliver a revelation to them. The only alternative was that they were genuinely just lucky enough to dig it up somewhere, which seemed about a thousand times less likely than them getting it through some legitimate means. If millions of people had been looking for it for two centuries without any more visible discoveries in the Inner Sphere, he was fairly sure the Prometheus Archive was something that couldn't simply be stumbled upon through luck and pluck.

---

Scene 3

---

Fast Corvette Castle O'Reilly, Alphard System
July 2986

Commodore - no, it was Rear Admiral now, wasn't it? - Brancis ran her hand across the armrest of the flag seat, glancing around the bridge of the vessel slowly, the momentum transfer of the gesture neutralized by the tether holding her in place. All around, sleek screens illuminated the space as hundreds of cameras collected the image of the yards outside. "I've never seen a bridge where you'd need to shout to be heard before, sir."

Behind her, the Vice Admiral chuckled loudly, her voice rich with amusement. "Oh, no shouting will be necessary, Admiral Brancis. There are intercoms between all the significant sections to ease matters. Of course, it's always reassuring to have the mark one as a fallback in case of equipment failures."

"It's a bit of a shame that there's no way to do that through the vacuum of space." Allison shot back, a light grin slipping onto her face despite her own intentions. "It's a beautiful ship, though. Really, I'm amazed to see it this far along."

The technology, she'd been assured over and over, was extremely conservative - everywhere, she'd had allowances made for later refits as mass production of advanced Star League weapons, armor, and internal components reached desired levels of output, consistency, and quality pointed out to her. So much of this ship aside from the jump core - the novel technology in which had been exhaustively tested on smaller demonstration models, and would be subjected to repeated additional tests before the full crew ever stepped onboard - was designed around the principle that a simple patrol vessel that launched today and ran reliably was better than one that launched in two years and needed constant babying. Even so, even half finished, she hadn't seen anything more incredible since she went to her kid brother's wedding three years back.

It was a truly incredible thing, she felt, that the Marian Union had built something like this - that it was building things like this. It was a great accomplishment.

Admiral Vlasik floated over to brace against the same chair with a nod. "It beggars the scale of everything we've laid into the black so far, that's for certain. It's not the largest WarShip to ever kiss the vacuum, and it's not even remotely the most advanced, Quick Jump or no, but it's the first of a new era in the Navy."

Allison smiled sadly, giving the seat another quick rub. "If only I'd done a little bit better back in '79, maybe this fellow would have launched sooner."

She choked a moment later as she received a firm slap on the back. "None of that self pity shit, RearAd. If it wasn't for you this ship might not be under construction at all. The only personal name I think of when I ask myself why we don't have a squadron of these things already is Precentor Jeff Jonnels. The fuckers in Comstar are the ones behind the flyby. You're just the one who kicked their asses back into the primordial dust from which they came."

Admiral Brancis closed her eyes and sighed. "You can say that all you like, but the thought isn't so easy to chase off. We lost a hell of a lot of good crew that day and failed at what we set out to do all the same - we let some of those green motherfuckers through the blockade. I still wake up yelling about it sometimes."

"You were outnumbered and out teched." the Vice Admiral reassured. "The top of the ladder wouldn't have promoted you, nor weighed your chest down with so many ornaments, if they didn't feel you'd gone above and beyond. You proved yourself in that engagement, and anyone who says otherwise needs to reevaluate their sense of scale. There is nobody in this nation with more experience coordinating a naval battle than you've got. Plain and simple, nobody. The battle you fought makes the previous invasion look utterly adorable, and that's the feather in the cap of a good few of your senior officers. When you've got your time in rank, I'd expect an immediate promotion in your future."

"There's absolutely no way this kind of pep talk is reg." Allison huffed, turning her head away. "I know you wanted the atmosphere of a casual chat here, but there's absolutely no room in a disciplined military for teaching a junior officer that they're better than the rest. What if I start ignoring orders because I think I know better?"

Her superior shot her a wry grin. "Oh, there's absolutely no way you're going to do that and you know it. I'm just saying - there might come a day when I'm the one calling you sir."

Allison snorted, shrugging off the hand on her shoulder. "No there won't. It'd take longer for me to get promoted twice on any sane and realistic timescale than you'd ever be allowed to keep your current rank. How many years are you allowed to stagnate before mandatory retirement, again?"

Jennifer Vlasik slapped her on the back again. "Brancis, when I get an honorable discharge, I'll call you 'Sir' when I'm back in civilian life. I don't need a regulation to tell me to do that much, the way you, apparently, do to tell you to accept a compliment."

The Rear Admiral sighed again. "Want to make it an order?"

"Might be an illegal order, but sure. You are officially ordered to accept the damned compliment."

"Sir, yes sir. Compliment accepted, sir." Allison mumbled, her gaze fixed forward. "By the way, what are we doing here, exactly? It can't have been easy to get clearance to go onboard a ship that's not finished yet, let alone one you aren't assigned to, let alone to bring along a guest."

Admiral Vlasik chuckled, rubbing the back of her neck as she pulled herself around the seat. "Who's not assigned? It may just be by virtue of being your commanding officer at the time, but I received my transfer orders to helm up the First Patrol Squadron along with my promotion. I'm not actually your commanding officer anymore, as it stands. Admiral Marinkovich is still in command of the overall jump point garrison."

Allison turned to her, eyes wide. "Congratulations, sir!"

For all the honors the garrison fleet had covered itself in throughout its years of maintaining postings all throughout the Union, it was nevertheless impossible to lie to oneself and say that commanding it was in any way more prestigious than commanding the first WarShip formation in the history of the nation. The garrison station network would grow and harden, to be certain, as would the escort forces of the Merchant Marine, but in every navy in the history of charted space, the WarShip fleets had been the senior-most postings. Getting one's foot in here was a shoe-in to commanding a proper cruiser task force or full integrated fleet, when the shipyards matured enough to build a more varied fleet.

The admiral shot her back a thin smile. "I'm holding onto a request for the Bureau of Assignments, Rear Admiral. I can send it any time, and I'm sure they'll approve it."

"Er, what?"

Allison's train of thought was completely thrown off by that apparent non-sequitur, her brain locking up as she started to analyze the statement for any deeper meaning that wasn't completely absurd.

"They're your transfer orders." Vlasik clarified, settling into the seat and testing the buckles on the harness out. "I want you as my chief staff officer, genius. I can mail them off at any time, and they'll get approved regardless of your desires, but I want you to agree to it first."

Allison choked, her eyes going wide. "E-excuse me, sir? I'm not sure I understand. You want me…"

"To be my second in command." the Vice Admiral confirmed. "I'm not worth the posting I've been given, Brancis. I haven't commanded anything that moves in years - the nature of my job was that I was never near the battles and never gave real time commands. Your experience in pitched combat engagements is something I want to cultivate and promote, so that our WarShip doctrine will be something worth a damn when the time comes for it. Besides, it's the only conceivable way I'll ever look good in this posting."

Allison threw her hands up. "Wait, though! I haven't been stationed on anything that moves in years either!"

"And?" came the reply, paired with a glance back over the Vice Admiral's shoulders. "You commanded a dropship fleet that moved in real time. It's not as though the flag officer of the fleet directly commands the ship they're on - the captain of the ship is the one in charge of executing the squadron or fleet level orders through the ship. My job, in theory, is to put forward the tactical level orders needed to maneuver the squadron in line with the strategy from on-high, problem being that my previous billet was mostly administrative, with minimal strategy involved and no tactics. Better you come up with everything than me."

"Admiral!" Allison cried, grasping at her forehead. "Are you honestly saying your plan for this posting is just… to have me ghostwrite all the battle tactics for you to deliver to the fleet?"

"Ghostwrite?" the admiral asked, her eyes narrow. "No, I don't think so. What I'd do is boldly admit to the top brass that I haven't come up with a single idea since I took my post and you were the one actually doing everything, so they'd replace me with you as soon as possible. There's no need for absurd political appointments like myself to be covered in honors and shifted outside of our areas of confidence. I'd much rather have been left in the garrison branch, you know?"

Admiral Brancis grasped her forehead more firmly. "The chain of command is crumbling as we speak. What the hell is my life?"

"So, how's about it?" the Vice Admiral asked, reaching up backwards to pat her floating comrade on the shoulder. "You wanna be my subordinate again and see the inside of this bridge while it's under actual acceleration? Because honestly, I've got no idea what else to do if I can't get you for this. Maybe I could go through the list of dropship squadrons and pick out a good captain or commodore there, but… Look, I need to submit my list of preferred staff officers before this thing launches."

Allison sighed, clearing her mind. There was no sense in fixating on the absurdity of this situation when the much more important part was that it was actually happening. She had a responsibility to fill here, clearly. "Mail the damned orders. I'll sooner be hanged than let you crash the first WarShip formation in the Navy into an asteroid and lose all vessels on a pirate hunting shakedown cruise."

"That's what I've been waiting to hear!"

--------

I'm currently keeping things relatively open ended so if I get the inspiration for one or two unplanned chapters, I can push the ending of this story back a bit, but it'll otherwise be ready to end more or less on the previously stated schedule.

Thanks for the chapter! Nice to see things coming together. I'll confess I'm not well read on BT WarShips though so when referred to a Fast Corvette as large I had to go back and check I'd read it right lol, I'm just so used to thinking of Corvettes as tiny!

Thanks for the chapter! Nice to see things coming together. I'll confess I'm not well read on BT WarShips though so when referred to a Fast Corvette as large I had to go back and check I'd read it right lol, I'm just so used to thinking of Corvettes as tiny!
It's large compared to their existing navy, because they don't have any full size WarShips preceding it. Destroyers, cruisers, and larger are yet to come out of their yards.

Corvettes are the smallest class of WarShip (large, FTL capable military ships), but they're larger than any known dropship (large parasite craft without FTL drives that may be used as gunboats and similar, or as landing craft or cargo vessels) by, potentially, a factor of up to four (as the Castle O'Reilly is).

Last edited:
I'm really surprised the FWL hasn't sent a scout out their way after a couple regiments disappeared. SAFE might be incompetent but they would be interested in what those regiments are getting up to and if they are planning on launching a civil war like every other faction in the FWL.
Other nations would want to see what's going on as it could distract many FWL regiments from the frontline.

I'm really surprised the FWL hasn't sent a scout out their way after a couple regiments disappeared. SAFE might be incompetent but they would be interested in what those regiments are getting up to and if they are planning on launching a civil war like every other faction in the FWL.
Other nations would want to see what's going on as it could distract many FWL regiments from the frontline.
A combined arms mercenary group with a regiment of mechs and another of tanks is a big thing to have disappear, granted, but they were under the employ of a triad of shipyard execs who were trying a sneaky gambit to raise their own status rather than the FWL itself or even their respective corporations, and the official coordinates they were sent to aren't where they actually went, so it's a tossup whether it'd actually merit the FWL pulling a large survey force off the front to look all around their periphery border and find where they actually ended up.

No substantial official FWL employed military forces, whether provincial or federal, have been lost in Marian space.

Last edited:
I assumed that political factions have used industry as cutouts when they are trying to position forces somewhere in preparation for civil war o'clock and someone, anyone, trying to be sneaky with two good regiments would draw their attention and for all they suck at external spying are very good at internal spying.

The FWL could not give a damn as long as the barbarians do not cross the border to their own worlds.

If someone wen up to be a petty king? They won't care if they don't raid anyone else.

I imagine the lack of raiding has turned into an out of sight, out of mind situation instead.

honestly on the warships front i'd argue that the smallest they should build them post the inital handful is really in the frigate and crusier size range simply because you can build those tough enough to take a nuke or two and come home. you can't do that with smaller ships. well that and to be blunt other than build time due to how weird BT warship rules are other than collars and LFBs the actual cost difference between a small and large or medium sized warship is vastly smaller than their relative capabilities

honestly on the warships front i'd argue that the smallest they should build them post the inital handful is really in the frigate and crusier size range simply because you can build those tough enough to take a nuke or two and come home. you can't do that with smaller ships. well that and to be blunt other than build time due to how weird BT warship rules are other than collars and LFBs the actual cost difference between a small and large or medium sized warship is vastly smaller than their relative capabilities
They're building corvettes in the 400kt range at this point because they're compatible with the slipways and shipping construction industries they've currently got, which are sized for ships in the ~300-500kt range due to initially being products of a civilian jumpship construction program (with design influence from the desire to explore Axumite Fast Jump technology).

To build a destroyer, a frigate, or a cruiser, you need to build a dedicated Warship construction yard with slipways far too large to be usable for reasonable civilian construction. That's a project for later.

I see this as the reason things like corvettes refuse to die, anyways - with slight additions to the production chain, you can build them on a civilian-scale yard, so even though the cost of an individual ship is fairly high for what you're getting, the supply of possible construction for them is far larger.

Last edited:
Comstar has no real fleet currently and they still have about 20 years before the Dragoons show up. They can majorly expand however the Comguards have been gutted and that will take decades overtime to rebuild the lost officers and institutional knowledge.

As long as they avoid angering the FWL the Marians should have the time needed to properly expand. I would expect them to open up immigration to expand the population within a generation, once they are more secure.

So if things match up close to canon they have about 60+ years to build up before the Clans show up and probably about 40 years until the general tech recovery hits the stride.

Back