House of the Dragon premiering August 21

And, again, the only thing that really looks and moves like mail is mail. Plate is much easier to make look authentic without making an actual functional suit of armor.

And, again, the only thing that really looks and moves like mail is mail. Plate is much easier to make look authentic without making an actual functional suit of armor.

GOT did do mail cheaply and effectively at least once - Stark soldiers. Some of them had mail sleeves hanging down on each arm - clearly they would've just been small pieces sewn to the sleeves of the armor, but it implied that they all had mail hauberks:

Not workable for full plate and mail suits though, sadly.

(Other times mail was done for plot reasons, like Roose at the Red Wedding).

And again, Loras and Brienne in their beautiful S2 gear:

Last edited:
The fact that Rhaenrya and Alicent seemed to be as close as sisters before Otto fucked things up after Ageon was born just makes it all worse.

Edit: The Hightower's were in a place where they would have almost unrivaled influence on the Queen, and managed to loose it all.

Last edited:
So is that scale armor on Daemon's stomach a historical thing? Either way, it looks fantastic and the winged helm is appropriately big.

I think there's some shots where it looks a little foamy? I don't know if it's full on proper steel but it doesn't seem like it. It looks better in motion than in screenshots.

Scale armor is historical.
Custom ornate armor is historical.
Using actual magic dragon scales as armor is obviously impossible, but would certainly have been done if it was an option.

So the armor seems logical and fits the setting.

Scale armor is historical.
Custom ornate armor is historical.
Using actual magic dragon scales as armor is obviously impossible, but would certainly have been done if it was an option.

So the armor seems logical and fits the setting.

I'm not arguing it doesn't fit the setting, because it looks fantastic, I was wondering if it's based on a historical thing because I want to learn if such armor exists.

I'm not arguing it doesn't fit the setting, because it looks fantastic, I was wondering if it's based on a historical thing because I want to learn if such armor exists.

Scale and Lamellor armor were both things.

If you mean was scale belly armor only with regular armor around, then no, not that I've ever heard of.

Last edited:
Nice touch I didn't notice, Daemon's helm when he's leading the goldcloaks is different from his tourney helm (no wings, black plume instead of red)

Due to the race bending going on, how will they deal with-

The cuckage going on? It's going to pretty obvious that her kids aren't black. Or do you think that will be thrown away?

A bunch of promotional stills for Episode 2 have been released, including a nice look at Dark Sister:

Both Show! Blackfyre and Show! Dark Sister have a similar blade structure, probably to differentiate them from the VS swords of other houses.

Hopefully we'll see Orphan-Maker, Lady Forlorn, Lamentation, and Vigilance too.

Last edited:
A bunch of promotional stills for Episode 2 have been released, including a nice look at Dark Sister:

Both Show! Blackfyre and Show! Dark Sister have a similar blade structure, probably to differentiate them from the VS swords of other houses.
Also a Good look at the thing Viserys was building

Do you guys think Viserys plays Salamanders or Sisters of Battle?

Daemon definitely exclusively plays Imperial Knights.

I'm actually suprised given the current management of HBO, I'd figure they'd at least wait until the season finale.

Nah, it'll definitely get at least three seasons - shit canning it after 1 or even 2 would be an enormous admission of failure and a huge loss of face. Post S3 who knows, as that's when contracts are re-negotiated so you might see some fuckery but the show will absolutely get to that point.

Zaslav's burning the network to the ground to make way for the umpteenth Chip and Joanna spin off is extremely bad, but it's inside baseball shit to industry nerds and now animation fans. Game of Thrones' last season well and truly shit the bed, but it's still, you know, Game of Thrones - axing the enormously budgeted and massively hyped spin off after a season or two is stuff even the normies recognize as catastrophic.

Back