Hostage Situation [Worm AU Fanfic]

Does it count if 'know how the story is going to go' is restricted to 'Amy's going to try and see her father in some way'? I mean, we're allowed to assume that, right? It seems either obvious or what you want us to think.
:sigh: Some people seem to think that I'm going to have the PRT caving on the instant, and have screamed to high heaven about that.
Others think that Amy should go Carrie on the world (even pre-emptively) and are vigorously defending that point of view.
Yet others are decrying the very possibility that a single, solitary teenage girl can have enough pull to do anything at all in this situation, and are throwing their arguments into the mix.
Not to mention the ones who believe that Marquis should never get out of the Birdcage, except feet first.

In short, controversial as hell, with people flinging their favourite pieces of fanon and headcanon around with abandon.

And that's what's been going on.

And if you think this is bad, check out SB. Ten pages so far.

:sigh: Some people seem to think that I'm going to have the PRT caving on the instant, and have screamed to high heaven about that.
Others think that Amy should go Carrie on the world (even pre-emptively) and are vigorously defending that point of view.
Yet others are decrying the very possibility that a single, solitary teenage girl can have enough pull to do anything at all in this situation, and are throwing their arguments into the mix.
Not to mention the ones who believe that Marquis should never get out of the Birdcage, except feet first.

In short, controversial as hell, with people flinging their favourite pieces of fanon and headcanon around with abandon.

And that's what's been going on.

So what you're saying is that QQ has had the calmest reaction to the story? :p

I honestly don't care to argue about this whole argument since it almost always ends up going into a derail of some kind. I just wanna see how Amy's gonna go about getting what she wants, and what it would take for them to bend to her demands.

With that in mind, I honestly hope you don't get inspiration for another fic before another chapter of this comes out. The wait will kill me. :(

*pats on shoulder* There there, I'm happy to just see where it goes. I'm more interested in how it's all going to play out than whether or not it actually will.

How 'far' are you intending on taking this story anyway? I mean, for the purpose of asking, say Marquis gets let out, is that your end point? Are you intending on continuing past the point any decision is made (obviously not including "They said no, so I'll try something else" decisions there)?

And there's why I read things here instead.

*pats on shoulder* There there, I'm happy to just see where it goes. I'm more interested in how it's all going to play out than whether or not it actually will.

How 'far' are you intending on taking this story anyway? I mean, for the purpose of asking, say Marquis gets let out, is that your end point? Are you intending on continuing past the point any decision is made (obviously not including "They said no, so I'll try something else" decisions there)?
I have yet to decide.

I have yet to decide.
Considering that it's a very personal relationship (whether they actually know each other or not), not knowing how it'll end up seems to be the right way to take it, as it'd help you develop decisions and opinions organically as the story continues.

Though, it'll probably be a pain in the ass for you, so I'm guessing you'll hash out some sort of timeline/overview of what you want at some point.

I just like that Fred's full name turns out to be the same for Fred Jones from Scooby Doo, I thought it was funny and wanted to point it out to others :oops:.

Adding another "silent majority" post. Just because a topic is flamebait doesn't mean it's not worth exploring.

I think the issue a lot of people are having is that the (widely accepted) fanon that people can't be let out of the birdcage without throwing the whole thing open or involving Cauldron is colliding with the (mostly discredited) fanon that Panacea's considered important enough for her demand to get any response but "fuck you, go away" or at worst "you want to see him? then you can join him in there, you just tried to extort a government official."

I think the issue a lot of people are having is that the (widely accepted) fanon that people can't be let out of the birdcage without throwing the whole thing open or involving Cauldron is colliding with the (mostly discredited) fanon that Panacea's considered important enough for her demand to get any response but "fuck you, go away" or at worst "you want to see him? then you can join him in there, you just tried to extort a government official."
They wouldn't Birdcage her, not for that.

In the aftermath of what she did to Vicky, she had to threaten to release metal-eating and plastic-eating plagues before they would agree to Birdcage her.

Fanon or otherwise, this is a canon quote {from Interlude 3.x): "I got international attention over it. The healer. The girl who could cure cancer with a touch, make someone ten years younger, regrow lost limbs."

Apparently, even if there are other healers out there (or people with tangential powers that let them heal) no-one is on her level. She has international recognition of this. She talks about the pressure she's been under for the last two years; that indicates to me that there's no other healers out there willing or able to take up the slack.

She's not important. People don't ascribe authority to her. She's "the girl who can heal anyone of anything" and they expect her to keep doing it. Because she's a superhero, and superheroes should do superheroic stuff. Right?

The question is, what happens when the person who's been doing free healing for the last two years, who has healed a few dozen people, saved maybe a dozen lives, every day for the last couple of years, decides to ... stop?

Think of it as one of those sneaky addictions. The type that you don't notice until you try to wean yourself off of it.

The comfort comes to a sudden, screeching halt.

I like this story. Also I like the Marquis. Please continue Lord Ack.

There is another solution. Panacea can simply take over North America, become a Despot and then command Dragon to do something about the Birdcage inmates. I am sure there is a way out of there, Dragon must have a built a backdoor right? An ultimate one that would destroy the birdcage and free all of the inmates in case the Fairy Queen (or something with similar power-consuming abilities) suddenly decided to eat everyone.

Also, was it ever proven if the Birdcage (as speculated by the inmates in the Marquis Interlude) was in fact spatially shrunk to the size of a ball and buried underground, making escape impossible? That could be a plot point.

Also, was it ever proven if the Birdcage (as speculated by the inmates in the Marquis Interlude) was in fact spatially shrunk to the size of a ball and buried underground, making escape impossible? That could be a plot point.
Escape wouldn't be impossible then. You'd just need a lot more air to escape the void, and come out ant sized.

It was never noted after that. In fact, inmates going through the elevator tube would have had to undergo the shrinking process at some point, and it's never really mentioned.

So, probably wild surmise.

What i did pick up on is that even teleporters are confined, so some kind of [space magic tm​]:p is happening:D

Apparently, even if there are other healers out there (or people with tangential powers that let them heal) no-one is on her level.
No evidence of that. She's on a level that gets international recognition, but no one said she's the only one or even the best Healer. That quote would work just fine if she was number 27 in some 'best healer in the world' list. I suspect she probably can do things others can't just like others can do things she (supposedly) can't, and that quote clearly shows she's AMONG the best healers in the world, but not that she's the best much less qualitatively better than everyone else.

No evidence of that. She's on a level that gets international recognition, but no one said she's the only one or even the best Healer. That quote would work just fine if she was number 27 in some 'best healer in the world' list. I suspect she probably can do things others can't just like others can do things she (supposedly) can't, and that quote clearly shows she's AMONG the best healers in the world, but not that she's the best much less qualitatively better than everyone else.
It's not "one of the few people who can cure cancer" or any of the other things. It's "the" person who can do all that. Which leads me to believe that there are few, if any, who can heal on her level. And none who do it for free, and so regularly, as she does.

If you can find me WoG, or a citation, that there are others at or near her level, who aren't already famous for other things, then I'll be interested. Otherwise, I'll be going with "she's about the best there is".

(Incidentally, saying "there have to be other healers in other parts of the world because there are so many in Brockton Bay" is a fallacy. A concentration in one place does not mean that there's an equal concentration elsewhere).

I wouldn't be surprised if Cancer was one of those things that most parahuman healers can't do anything about. Cancer is part of your body mutation in a way that causes uncontrolled growth. I imagine a lot of healing powers won't notice something is wrong or straight out make the cancer grow faster.

Sort of like how in the Whately Academy universe regenerators are basically immune to most diseases but cancer is significantly more dangerous in proportion to their power as the cancer can regenerate too.

Back