Hostage Situation [Worm AU Fanfic]

My thinking is that the PRT will try to reason with Panacea, explaining just why releasing Marquis wouldn't be bad just for the Birdcage's reputation but for everyone else.

They might try to compromise with Panacea by arranging a way for her to contact her father, that would make for an interesting conversation. Especially if it's a phone call, he answers gruffly only to get a surprise as a soft voice answers back "Daddy?".

Although it might make for a funny story, or a better OMAKE, if they release Marquis and he does make a genuine effort to stay out of sight/retire........until he learns what the merchants are doing:rage:

[Sometime Later]

"Casualty reports are still coming in but with the parahuman elements of the Merchants not only in custody but hospitalized I believe I can safely say the Merchant gang is done for. Now were just left to wonder the identity of that finely dressed man who showed such heroism today!"

*Amy slowly turned her head from the tv to fix her slightly nervous dad with the most deadpan stare she could manage*

"Gee.....I wonder."

:p

Now imagine Marquis trying out the vigilante hero role:o

Saw this on SB. Glad to see it here too! As to people thinking that the PRT will shrug this off, think again. Someone did the math and Panacea saves, roughly, 3000 people a year, not including Endbringer battles she may or may not attend.

The only other healer in Brockton Bay is a Nazi, and they don't want to be making any deal or concessions with them if they can avoid them. Can we say, 'No E88 gets arrested if you want healing'? That would cause a huge shitstorm.

Saves, or heals? That is a very important qualifier to make, because I highly doubt that every single person she healed would have been dead otherwise. No matter what though, that doesn't give her the right or authority to demand for what she wants here.
Heals, probably. Though the number of people she saves from being crippled in some manner is likely very high. And no, it doesn't give her the right or the authority to make the demand, it just gives her a lot of leverage.

She could always threaten to go Uber-Bonesaw on the world, holding it hostage with an engineered plague she made in under a minute from the bacteria on her skin. :V

Or it gets her sent to the Cage, where she gets her dad anyways.

Win win?

She could always threaten to go Uber-Bonesaw on the world, holding it hostage with an engineered plague she made in under a minute from the bacteria on her skin. :V

Or it gets her sent to the Cage, where she gets her dad anyways.

Win win?
She doesn't want to be in the Birdcage. She just wants her father.

The premise has problems, but I think the aftereffects could be interesting if Amy follows through. Sadly, nobody seems to care about her power because she doesn't use it as a flashy way to take people down. That alone is an interesting question: given how everything is so conflict-driven, would anyone care that the strongest healer in the US is no longer willing to heal?

They won't want to give into blackmail but I think that they will start to care once the gang wars starts up. Amy is the main reason that the Bay can field its hero's nonstop. How long till they have enough broken bones that the local Protectorate team is on sick leave or the wards are no longer allow to patrol because of the youth guard and injuries. This will ruin the local PRT and Protectorate but I think it will remain a local issue till the next endbringer attack.

If Amy holds to her position and does no healing during the aftermath the numbers of capes crippled or killed will be huge. I image that Amy's power helps get the heroes back up and running in days instead of weeks or longer. The PRT will have the to then deal with decreasing amounts of heroes across the country. This may backfire on Amy if the PRT blames her for not helping heal people afterwards.

I think that the best move would be for the PRT to move her father to a prison that Amy can visit him in. This way they don't just let a killer go and they can hopefully convince Amy to take back up healing. As for letting him out of the birdcage the best thing to do is tell Amy and her father that if they don't keep it quite he goes back in. You could also get Marquis to stay in jail by giving him two pre-signed kill orders. If he escapes both Amy and him get kill orders severed by Alexandria herself.

For some reason after reading this I can't help but think that in Recoil, Ms Snow will get Amy. Any one else have this feeling?

The point of the post wasn't that people know (they don't). It was that Amy's demand isn't physically impossible. Which is what some people are saying.
It's impossible by design just to let one prisoner out. In Interlude 6.x the procedure and structure are told (only way in exist, nothing exits). A lot of work must be done for releasing (and a lot of safeguards must be removed), and risk of major breakout will greatly increase. No one would risk it without reasons. The idea of Birdcage must be inspired by Cauldron, so that extremely dangerous capes would wait there until their assistance would be required against Scion (as in canon). Amy should go Nilbog level of danger (she can do this easily), so that opening Birdcage would be considered.

It's impossible by design just to let one prisoner out. In Interlude 6.x the procedure and structure are told (only way in exist, nothing exits). A lot of work must be done for releasing (and a lot of safeguards must be removed), and risk of major breakout will greatly increase. No one would risk it without reasons. The idea of Birdcage must be inspired by Cauldron, so that extremely dangerous capes would wait there until their assistance would be required against Scion (as in canon). Amy should go Nilbog level of danger (she can do this easily), so that opening Birdcage would be considered.

Amy doesn't know this. She has no way of knowing what the defenses of the birdcage or its construction are anymore than anyone else on the street. So why should she think that it would be either impossible or nearly impractical to do as she requests?

Amy doesn't know this. She has no way of knowing what the defenses of the birdcage or its construction are anymore than anyone else on the street. So why should she think that it would be either impossible or nearly impractical to do as she requests?
She should know that appellations are not allowed. Inescapable prison can't have easy way to release somebody, and many of prisoners can do too much damage that no healing from Amy would be adequate.

All that's -really- required to get someone out of the Birdcage is cooperation on the outside. You need a) an oxygen supply, and b) control of the elevator. It's going to be -very hard- to get (b) without Dragon's cooperation.

When the sun had cleared the horizon, she felt the breeze pick up, and shivered slightly. "Fred, I think I should be getting you downstairs again."

There was no answer.
See, I know what you're going for here. The whole 'last wish' style thing, doing a good deed, dying in peace, etc, etc.

But as soon as they hit the rooftop I knew they were there so that you could kill the guy off after the sunrise.

It's just a huge helping of "seen it before".

Other than that, I had no idea what was coming at the end and was thinking Amy was going to be taken hostage by the Undersiders for being more active in the bank, and join up with them through Lisa talking her through her issues or something.

That end? Loved it.

Can't the door maker get someone out? Cauldron's plan requires lots of combat ready capes... I could see them doing it...

I've rewritten the chapter, stretching the timeline a bit. Hope this deals with some of the objections.

Can't the door maker get someone out?
He can, but there's a 'but' involved.

If there's a sudden pressure change caused by, say, a door opening in the middle of the Birdcage, the room gets locked down and defensive measures get brought to bear. At the end of canon Taylor wanted to get capes out and she probably could have done it, but it was easier to take down Dragon temporarily and then snatch them then it was to try and work around Dragon's defenses using Doormaker.

And taking down Dragon is no easy task, so it implies that Dragon's defenses to stop people from just teleporting out are insane.

He can, but there's a 'but' involved.

If there's a sudden pressure change caused by, say, a door opening in the middle of the Birdcage, the room gets locked down and defensive measures get brought to bear. At the end of canon Taylor wanted to get capes out and she probably could have done it, but it was easier to take down Dragon temporarily and then snatch them then it was to try and work around Dragon's defenses using Doormaker.

And taking down Dragon is no easy task, so it implies that Dragon's defenses to stop people from just teleporting out are insane.
ok, so saint and door maker working together....

The PRT could pick and choose villains to let out (as per Scarab 25.1). Their main issue wasn't that there would be a mass escape, it was picking villains who would not run rampant once free.

And rewritten part of the chapter, guys.

I wasn't saying it was impossible, just that you couldn't use Doormaker alone, you needed Dragon to let you/be told to let you take capes out.

So I'm not entirely sure if I like the premise of "Amy tries forcing the PRT's hand to let her super villain dad out of the Birdcage." On the onther hand, this is a Ack story, so I feel I need to give it a few chapters to see for sure. Watched for now.

Back