History's Most Mediocre Cultivator (Xianxia Quest)

How should the remainder of the five months prior to joining the sect be handled?

• Same as usual (i.e. 5 more updates similar to the last 2)

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • Vote for a cultivation plan for all 5 months at once and then having a training montage

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Vote for a cultivation plan for all 5 months and then have updates with character events and RPing

Votes: 15 65.2%
  • Continue as usual, but with shorter, more frequent updates until the five months are up

Votes: 6 26.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Are there any horses we could get a hold that would be useful to cultivators? Something like Red Hare or Hex Mark from RoT3K?

Okay, I'm closing the vote now.

Winning votes:
[X] [Letter] Ask if there are any particular relationships - with other clans or governmental departments, with particular individuals - that it might be wise to cultivate in the sect. Ask where our clan as a whole has already sunk time and people into developing relationships. Also, tell him about when we thwarted Wang Shen's interaction with Suyin and ask what he would recommend we do both in response to this event and in response to similar situations in the future. And finally, ask whether it is possible to make a pet or some other kind of companion out of a spirit beast.
[X] [Minor Action] Spend time with Xiaoli – Xiaoli is your best friend and while you will have plenty of time together at the cult, it doesn't hurt to maintain that bond. You also get the feeling that it might not be a bad idea to take her mind off her duties from time to time.
[X] [Minor Action] – Your father mentioned that he was planning to bring Meiling and Mother along during his next visit to Ma Wei. Of course, you could go as well.
[X] [Minor Action] Look for information in the clan library.
-[X] Cultivation drugs and how they are made

Arts List
Arts List
Nonelemental:
When activated for a cost of 5 qi, Qi Dampening provides an additional 4 dice for to any stealth roll over a short period of time.

Water:
A red-level water art. When activated, it improves balance by 3 for a short period of time at a cost of 10 qi.

Earth:
A red-level earth art. When activated, it improves defense by 3 for a short period of time at a cost of 30 qi.

Fire:

Wind:

Lightning:

Shadow:
A red-level shadow art. When activated at a cost of 20 qi, it provides an additional 4 dice to stealth rolls over a short period of time.

Light:

Gravity:

Last edited:
I'm curious how dodge works compared to defense. Since both mitigate, but dodge is divided by 3 so adding more to the stats make it harder to raise dodge. Is it going to be that defense boosts are hard to come by and so raising dodge stats is going to be the only way to increase our mitigation most of the time?

And defense seems better because it works versus Sneak attacks that you can't dodge. But I'm curious if there are other arts/mechanics later on that make dodge better. Something like Arts that bypass Defense and can only be dodged, or the ability to counterattack instantly any attack you fully dodge.

@Sickul The QM has mentioned on page 13 that only one of each type of boost can be applied at a time, and that defense boosts cost around 3 times more Qi for the same effect. This would make cost and effect about equal for dodge and defense, but it does means that defense boosts will always be the first priority when it comes to defensive techniques.

QM has also made Still Waters easier to learn in terms of number of successes needed (45) compared to the earlier listed boosts (60). Not sure if this will propagate to other boosts though.

Still Waters is +3 Balance for 10 Qi. Steel Strike is +4 Strength for 20 Qi. I imagine Stone Skin is probably +3 Defense for 30 Qi.

Edit: Incidentally, we can now deduce that Suyin was at Defense Cultivation 2 during our spar about 4 months ago. We never even got past her dodge dice. What a humiliating loss.

Last edited:
Chapter 2.8 – Supposedly Benign Memories
[X] [Letter] Ask if there are any particular relationships - with other clans or governmental departments, with particular individuals - that it might be wise to cultivate in the sect. Ask where our clan as a whole has already sunk time and people into developing relationships. Also, tell him about when we thwarted Wang Shen's interaction with Suyin and ask what he would recommend we do both in response to this event and in response to similar situations in the future. And finally, ask whether it is possible to make a pet or some other kind of companion out of a spirit beast.
[X] [Minor Action] Spend time with Xiaoli – Xiaoli is your best friend and while you will have plenty of time together at the cult, it doesn't hurt to maintain that bond. You also get the feeling that it might not be a bad idea to take her mind off her duties from time to time.
[X] [Minor Action] – Your father mentioned that he was planning to bring Meiling and Mother along during his next visit to Ma Wei. Of course, you could go as well.
-[X] Cultivation drugs and how they are made

Chapter 2.8 – Supposedly Benign Memories
Rain 17, 12053

Though Shaohuo had the Celestial Lavender, he decided to hold off on using it for now. Perhaps he would use it when he had an art he needed to learn quickly, or just save it for a time when wasn't able to afford to buy other medicines. He had the flowers dried and stoppered in a glass vial to store until then.

In the meantime, he continued his physical cultivation with Father's assistance. When Father wasn't available he worked on mastering Still Water and Soundless Step. The latter was a shadow art that involved channeling shadow qi through his feet to muffle sound to the unaided ear. Only those with special perception arts might still be able to hear him once he finished mastering it, and even then only with some difficulty. Of course, even with Soundless Step, he could easily be found if he wasn't sufficiently aware of his surroundings and made noise brushing against something with his legs or arms.

(Ghost Eyes Level 2 * 5 + Talent 4 *5 + Spirit Herb Pill 5 + Tutoring 10) * 4 actions = 180d10 = 5, 5, 3, 7, 5, 5, 7, 6, 5, 1, 5, 6, 10, 2, 5, 8, 6, 9, 3, 6, 3, 3, 9, 3, 8, 3, 7, 1, 9, 2, 9, 10, 1, 5, 5, 9, 5, 5, 8, 2, 7, 2, 7, 7, 8, 6, 8, 2, 1, 7, 5, 2, 5, 9, 2, 4, 5, 5, 8, 3, 7, 8, 9, 4, 9, 4, 3, 2, 9, 5, 10, 7, 1, 8, 7, 8, 2, 7, 3, 9, 4, 10, 8, 7, 9, 6, 6, 10, 2, 3, 4, 5, 2, 5, 1, 10, 6, 3, 8, 10, 3, 6, 5, 5, 5, 2, 8, 3, 7, 6, 9, 10, 9, 3, 8, 10, 2, 10, 5, 5, 3, 6, 10, 2, 9, 3, 5, 6, 3, 7, 3, 6, 2, 6, 1, 7, 7, 9, 6, 3, 2, 3, 5, 6, 9, 3, 5, 2, 8, 7, 9, 2, 1, 3, 8, 3, 9, 3, 3, 5, 4, 2, 5, 8, 8, 6, 1, 6, 4, 7, 8, 9, 5, 2, 6, 9, 7, 2, 8, 8. Number of successes: 55.
Progress: 64/70 until Stamina Cultivation Level 2.

One third of successes to Ghost Eyes: 18.
Progress: 63/800 to next level.

One third of successes to Qi Cultivation: 18.
Progress 18/5
Qi: 51/51 > 54/54
Progress 3/5.

(Ghost Eyes Level 2 * 5 + Talent 4 *5 + Spirit Herb Pill 5) * 5 actions = 175d10 = 2, 8, 8, 5, 5, 5, 10, 6, 8, 3, 8, 6, 1, 7, 6, 5, 2, 4, 8, 5, 1, 2, 2, 2, 10, 8, 1, 1, 9, 3, 8, 3, 10, 8, 2, 2, 4, 3, 4, 7, 9, 2, 4, 8, 3, 8, 6, 3, 8, 8, 2, 10, 7, 2, 4, 7, 7, 7, 4, 3, 5, 3, 10, 8, 8, 9, 6, 4, 1, 5, 2, 5, 6, 5, 6, 8, 5, 9, 10, 7, 7, 1, 10, 6, 3, 7, 5, 7, 9, 4, 8, 1, 7, 2, 10, 1, 2, 5, 10, 8, 2, 2, 10, 4, 3, 2, 8, 2, 1, 2, 7, 5, 8, 9, 5, 4, 10, 7, 2, 8, 4, 1, 9, 4, 9, 5, 3, 10, 8, 9, 3, 3, 3, 7, 7, 9, 8, 3, 6, 9, 9, 7, 5, 5, 8, 7, 2, 9, 1, 10, 8, 7, 1, 1, 5, 7, 3, 3, 6, 2, 8, 5, 3, 7, 7, 9, 9, 8, 9, 7, 8, 5, 2, 1, 6. Number of successes: 54.
Progress 62/45. Still Water mastered.

Overflow of 17 to Stone Skin.
Progress: 27/60.

Half of Stone Skin successes to Earth Mastery: 8.
Progress 13/100 to next level.

Half of Still Water Successes to Water Mastery: 18.
Progress 22/100 to next level.

One third of successes to Ghost Eyes: 18.
Progress 81/800.

One third of successes to Qi Cultivation: 18.
Progress 21/5
Qi: 54/54 > 58/58
Progress 1/5.

A red-level water art. When activated, it improves balance by 3 for a short period of time at a cost of 10 qi.

(Ghost Eyes Level 2 * 5 + Talent 4 *5 + Spirit Herb Pill 5) * 3 actions = 105d10 = 2, 4, 6, 3, 6, 5, 10, 10, 4, 10, 7, 7, 5, 4, 4, 8, 7, 3, 5, 6, 10, 3, 8, 10, 7, 1, 6, 1, 5, 6, 9, 7, 6, 8, 10, 4, 4, 3, 5, 4, 3, 9, 3, 2, 8, 6, 7, 4, 7, 3, 3, 9, 8, 10, 3, 6, 4, 5, 8, 10, 5, 2, 7, 4, 6, 8, 7, 6, 7, 10, 4, 8, 7, 8, 2, 6, 8, 4, 6, 3, 6, 1, 6, 9, 10, 7, 4, 4, 6, 10, 2, 7, 6, 9, 8, 8, 8, 2, 6, 3, 7, 2, 9, 6, 3. Number of successes: 22.
Progress: 22/60.

Half of successes to Shadow Mastery: 11.
Progress 11/100 to next level.

One third of successes to Ghost Eyes: 7.
Progress 88/800.

One third of successes to Qi Cultivation: 7.
Progress 8/5
Qi: 58/58 > 59/59
Progress 3/5.

He had some initial difficulty with getting the shadow qi to flow correctly around his feet when he was wearing shoes while using Soundless Step. Aside from that, he made good progress. He even finished learning Still Water earlier than he had expected, allowing him to spend some time cultivating Stone Skin.

Near the end of Rain, Shaohuo decided to pay a visit to Xiaoli's home. He wanted to look in the clan library for information on how to make cultivation drugs. Besides, he thought Xiaoli could use a visit. She certainly seemed happy to skive off her lessons even for something as boring as research.

"Why do you want to make your own drugs anyway?" Xiaoli said, following him as they browsed through the aisles of books in the library.

"I thought it'd be better than spending so much money on drugs all the time," Shaohuo said, his voice trailing off as he found a promising book. "I think this one should do it." He held up the book, which had a plain black cover titled Essentials of Cultivation Alchemy.

"You know, if you agree to be my slave for a week then I could just give you some of my mine." Xiaoli said with a wicked grin.

"I think I'll take my chances with the book," Shaohuo said dryly.

He found a chair to sit in while he skimmed through the book. Xiaoli sat across from him with a romance novel open in her lap.

According to the book, less potent spiritual herbs such as Heaven Flower or your standard Spirit Herb could be grown artificially, though growing and harvesting it was very labor intensive. While Spirit Herb was not as expensive to produce as the simple spice known as saffron, the difficulties were similar. The flowers for both herbs were small and had to be collected one by one by hand before they could be processed, and it took many flowers to produce a single dose of each medicine, resulting in low yields for a significant amount of effort.

It didn't look like making medicines himself would be worth the time it would take, even considering not having to pay for the profit margin of medicine sellers. Perhaps it would be possible for either his family or the main clan to sponsor a group of spirit herb farmers, offering to pay for some of the initial costs of their business and perhaps waiving the usual taxes in return for being able to buy their best medicines at a discount. Even then, he wasn't sure if that was worth the effort compared to simply paying a little more for the medicines at the standard markets. Perhaps that was why the main clan didn't already have sponsored spirit herb farmers as far as he knew.

"Did you find what you were looking for?" Xiaoli said, looking up from her book.

"Not exactly. I don't think I can make the drugs myself anyway," he admitted.

"My offer is still open, you know." Xiaoli grinned.

"I'm not sure I even want to know what you would make me do," Shaohuo said, shuddering at the possibilities.

"Nothing much," Xiaoli said, but her airy tone didn't set him at ease. "Just some foot massages, carrying me around everywhere, stealing things."

"I'll think about it," he said, by which he meant 'no'.

By the time Shaohuo was ready to leave, it was already evening, and he found himself pressured to join Xiaoli and her father at the dinner table. Her mother was apparently away visiting one of her friends. Since he'd come without Father this time, he found himself speaking to Xiaoli's father more than usual. Xiaoli's father was about the same height as his own father, but had sharper features and maintained a trimmed beard whose auburn color was streaked with gray.

"So, Shaohuo, how is your cultivation going?" Xiaoli's father said, putting down his tea.

"It's going well. I've reached the next level of Ghost Eyes, and I'm close to reaching orange." Shaohuo said.

Xiaoli's father nodded. "That's good. Though you know, Xiaoli's not so far from reaching orange herself. She's been making fast progress. That's my little Lili, always so talented," he said with a smile.

"Daddy, please. You're embarrassing me." Xiaoli said, pouting.

Her father just chuckled. "Anyway, it's good that I'm able to talk to you right before you two go to the sect. I want you to keep an eye on my Lili while you're there."

"I can take care of myself!" Xiaoli protested, crossing her arms.

"I know you can, but us old men tend to worry. And of course, you two should still be on your best behavior while you're there. The things you do reflect on the image of the clan," he said, his expression becoming stern.

"Of course, my lord." Shaohuo said, holding his gaze. Though he didn't think he really needed to be reminded.

"You say that now, but I know how young folk are." Xiaoli's father said, not looking convinced. "You must be especially sure to remain chaste. Otherwise it could be difficult getting either of you married."

"O-of course," Shaohuo said, his face heating up.

"Ugh, daddy…" Xiaoli said, looking exasperated.

Though Xiaoli's father didn't laugh, Shaohuo thought he caught a gleam of amusement in his eyes.

Shaohuo joined the rest of his family on their visit to the Ma family estate. They were currently eating at a round table in the smaller dining room that Suyin's family used for informal gatherings. His parents and Ma Wei were talking about administration and taxes in their fiefs. Meanwhile, Meiling and Shu sat side by side and chattered loudly about their tutors, books, and dolls, switching from topic to topic with no apparent rhyme or reason.

Shu was growing quickly. With her brown hair tied in a ponytail, she looked like a miniature version of Suyin, but her animated expressions and hand gestures were so different. Suyin, on the other hand, was poking at her noodles with her chopsticks idly but eating very little.

"Is something wrong?" Shaohuo said. Suyin sat up, as though jolted out of whatever train of thought she was on.

"Oh, nothing really," Suyin said. Her serious expression was very unconvincing though.

"You haven't eaten very much," he said, nodding toward her full plate.

"I'm just not hungry today," Suyin said, still gazing at her noodles.

Suddenly he remembered: Suyin's mother had died this month so many years ago, when they were both still around five years old. He hadn't realized at first since the date wasn't the same, it had been a little over a week since the anniversary.

She'd died not long after giving birth to Shu. The delivery itself had gone fine, so when she began to spasm with seizures it had come out of nowhere, for no reason at all. He remembered that even Father had tears in his eyes when he read the letter containing the news, one of the only times he'd seen him cry. It had seemed…wrong.

But even if he was right, Suyin clearly didn't want to talk about it. All he could do was try to take her mind off of things.

"You know, I finished learning Still Water the other day," Shaohuo said, deciding to change the subject.

"Ah, that's good. I'm glad I could help," Suyin said, looking up.

They spoke about cultivation and about Shaohuo's research into cultivation drugs for the rest of the visit. At the very least, he could stop Suyin from doing that thing where she would withdraw inward and focus on thoughts that were probably unhealthy.

Later that night, Shaohuo turned in his bed, unable to fall asleep. He was reminded of his own grandparents. His grandparents on Mother's side of the family were probably still alive, but on his father's side his grandfather had died in war before Shaohuo could ever know him. His grandmother was kind, though, always giving him sweets and money when she came to visit. But she too had passed away when he was young. She had never been a dedicated cultivator, and so she was just as susceptible to disease as any commoner.

It was funny. Even if he became a white cultivator, Shaohuo would still be just as powerless as today to help his friends and family when it came to the things that really mattered. No amount of money or power would change that.

Shaohuo's Base Stats:

Talent – 4
Qi: 51/51 > 59/59
HP: base 10/10 * 13.1 (from physical cultivation) = 131/131
Funds: 200 > 600 coppers (+800 from allowance, -1200 from pills, +800 from advance on next week's allowance)
Inventory: Spear, Celestial Lavender
Spear Mastery: 2/5 (Trained)
Diplomacy – 8/10
Knowledge – 7/10
Deception – 4/10
Intelligence – 9/10
Perception – 6
Martial – 4/10
Strength – 9
Defense – 5
Flexibility – 4
Balance – 3
Speed – 8
Stealth – 4
Stamina – 8

Outside of cultivation, what does Shaohuo spend his time on during the next three weeks? Pick three. Write-ins are allowed, but can't be used for further cultivation.

[X] [Minor Action] Gather the spiritual herbs that the Honored Elder spoke of.

[X] [Minor Action] Go to Xichang to buy something.
-[X] Write-in

-[X] Write-in

[X] [Minor Action] Write-in

[X] [Minor Action] – Xiaoli has been pestering you to spar with her. You suspect that despite having started cultivating later than you she'll still beat you, but it could be a useful learning experience.

[X] [Minor Action] Spend time with Wang Shen – He seemed like a very unpleasant individual, but he's still a fellow noble of the Four Rivers province. Perhaps some conversation could clear the air or even get him to learn that no means no. Well, it didn't sound believable even in your own head, but it might be worth a try.

[X] [Minor Action] Spend time with Father – You do spend quite a bit of time with Father during training and some social events visiting subordinates. But outside of duty, you could still get to know him better as a person.

[X] [Minor Action] Spend time with Mother – obviously, you know Mother well, and you get along well too, seeing as she dotes on you almost as much as on Meiling. Still, you could always spend more time with her before heading off to the sect.

[X] [Minor Action] Spend time with Meiling – Soon you will be gone and will rarely see your sister for two years. It might be good to spend some time with her now.

[X] [Minor Action] Spend time with Suyin – the daughter of one of your father's closest friends and a minor noble in her own right, Suyin is good company and an intelligent conversationalist when you can get her to speak. Though that would mean putting up with Father's teasing.

[X] [Minor Action] Spend time with Chin, Fang, and Daquan – they are good friends, and you'll be leaving soon. It couldn't hurt to spend time with them.

A/N: A bit of a short update, but I couldn't think of anything else that needed adding. The Elder's reply will come next update.

[X] [Minor Action] – Xiaoli has been pestering you to spar with her. You suspect that despite having started cultivating later than you she'll still beat you, but it could be a useful learning experience.
[X] [Minor Action] Spend time with Meiling – Soon you will be gone and will rarely see your sister for two years. It might be good to spend some time with her now.

Lil sis's turn.
And more drugs

[X] [Minor Action] Spend time with Chin, Fang, and Daquan – they are good friends, and you'll be leaving soon. It couldn't hurt to spend time with them.

Last edited:

[X] [Minor Action] Spend time with Meiling – Soon you will be gone and will rarely see your sister for two years. It might be good to spend some time with her now

Stat sheet updated to Chapter 2.8. Rolls for Soundless Step were lower than expected. Still Waters 'completed', so it does not have subsequent levels that we can currently train. Maybe it'll open up as we break through to Orange? Otherwise we'd have to search out new boosts for every cultivation tier we reach.

Previously when training techniques Qi Dampening had the text '11/60 to completion'. In the same chapter (2.2) Qi Transfusion had '10/45 to next level'. The difference in text may suggest that we can train this nonelemental technique to multiple levels.

I am a little hesitant about the gathering herb option, but I rather doubt the voters would choose anything else. We are pushing closer to summer, which the Honored Elder explained is the most dangerous time. Assuming decent planning we will finish Stamina Cultivation for +36 HP, and have a 79.5% chance to complete Soundless Step for Stealth dice. This will be just before heading to the sect, I don't want to go in injured.

@Timewinders would it be possible to list the gathering action contingent on finishing Soundless Step? Shifting Physical Cultivation dice over is probably a non-starter.

[X] [Minor Action] Spend time with Wang Shen – He seemed like a very unpleasant individual, but he's still a fellow noble of the Four Rivers province. Perhaps some conversation could clear the air or even get him to learn that no means no. Well, it didn't sound believable even in your own head, but it might be worth a try.

How many more months until the Sect again?

Either way I think Wang Shen represents an opportunity, to either win him over with our high Diplomancy or raise our Diplomancy. Or maybe both?

[X] [Minor Action] Spend time with Father – You do spend quite a bit of time with Father during training and some social events visiting subordinates. But outside of duty, you could still get to know him better as a person.

[X] [Minor Action] Spend time with Suyin – the daughter of one of your father's closest friends and a minor noble in her own right, Suyin is good company and an intelligent conversationalist when you can get her to speak. Though that would mean putting up with Father's teasing.

Since we are not beating this guy, it might be a good idea to settle this differently. And not just for us, but for Suyin as well.

Thanks for the update.

I'll abstain from voting this round, as I think any option is fine. Except for going to gather herbs.

@Timewinders Can I do a negative vote? Such as

[ NO ] Don't go gather the spiritual herbs that the Honored Elder spoke of.

Back