Gate - Thus First Recon Fought There!

Frack. One look at those armor vehicles and my thoughts went to "how many empire roadkill can it make?".:(
Man that's a cargo truck with an armored shell on the back for troops. Most of the time, they're in their flat bed mode. That armored shell make it even more top heavy than it already is. And requires replacing the leaf springs on the rear two axles. It'll run things over but don't ask it to turn too sharp.

Hate to break it to ya, Ramble, but that's US Army equipment :V Marines have to do with LAVs that are older than they are.
LAV is still a solid vehicle, it goes a long way on a full tank of gas, and they can still find out if things go crunch or not.

As for the cars. Well, maybe the squaddies are on to something.

So another example of what appears to be the gods preventing a mixture of science and tech in the latest chapter of the manga. After Rory all but cleaves a zombie woman in half, Itami attempts to take a skin sample to bring back to base for research. Rory prevents him from doing so, likely citing some commandment of Emroy, and then has Yao burn the body with fire magic. There's apparently an explanation against necromancy on the next page, but I can't read the moonrunes there to confirm.

Guess Emroy doesn't want people from Japan finding out how zombies work and attempting to replicate the effect with their technology or something like that... Can't say that I blame him for that order, though.

Last edited:
So another example of what appears to be the gods preventing a mixture of science and tech in the latest chapter of the manga. After Rory all but cleaves a zombie woman in half, Itami attempts to take a skin sample to bring back to base for research. Rory prevents him from doing so, likely citing some commandment of Emroy, and then has Yao burn the body with fire magic. There's apparently an explanation against necromancy on the next page, but I can't read the moonrunes there to confirm.

Guess Emroy doesn't want people from Japan finding out how zombies work and attempting to replicate the effect with their technology or something like that... Can't say that I blame him for that order, though.
Where is the mention of zombies in Gate? The highest volume of the manga is 46, AFAIK. They had just gotten finished with the flame dragon and the apostle that was controlling them.

Where is the mention of zombies in Gate? The highest volume of the manga is 46, AFAIK. They had just gotten finished with the flame dragon and the apostle that was controlling them.
Chapter 49 came out last month and is translated, that's where mention of zombies is from.

50 was posted on alphapolis's site today (yesterday? I dunno), but has yet to get translated, which is where the info I posted above is from.

I'm not terribly familiar with that franchise, so do forgive me. Endless discussion of that drove me out of Bleach's Plot Bunny thread.

Could an apostle kill another apostle?
Giselle was afraid of Rory killing (or otherwise neutralizing) her with the help of the JGSDF after the ancient dragon is killed and the reinforcements arrive to take out the two dragons that Giselle had it spawn as backup and are following her around. So yeah, I would say that they could.

Apparently, in one of the Gaiden stories, there's an example of Rory fighting another apostle of a rival god to a standstill as well.

The biggest thing I could see the gate providing the US is cultural products. Artwork, music, and other things that can't be found on our side of the gate. I can see a decent tourist industry starting up there as well. There aren't any natural resources that we couldn't get cheaper elsewhere as opposed to the gate.

The biggest thing I could see the gate providing the US is cultural products. Artwork, music, and other things that can't be found on our side of the gate. I can see a decent tourist industry starting up there as well. There aren't any natural resources that we couldn't get cheaper elsewhere as opposed to the gate.
There might be some. There's bound to be at least one variety of magical ore.

If the gate is wide enough for a two-lane road, that should be plenty enough for a two-way train system, and maybe two levels of tracks through. It'd require schedule madness, but that's a hell of a lot of potential freight you could pass through.

If the gate is wide enough for a two-lane road, that should be plenty enough for a two-way train system, and maybe two levels of tracks through. It'd require schedule madness, but that's a hell of a lot of potential freight you could pass through.
Of course, building something as intensive as a railroad system is a long-term thing, and the Americans aren't certain if the Gate is permanent or temporary.

There's also the fact that you need to build tracks up to the gate in the middle of a city, that's no easy undertaking and may not be possible without knocking some things down. As it was said the gate may not be permanent and there's nothing worse that having to build the infrastructure of something only to become wasted if the gate closes.

Of course, building something as intensive as a railroad system is a long-term thing, and the Americans aren't certain if the Gate is permanent or temporary.

There's also the fact that you need to build tracks up to the gate in the middle of a city, that's no easy undertaking and may not be possible without knocking some things down. As it was said the gate may not be permanent and there's nothing worse that having to build the infrastructure of something only to become wasted if the gate closes.
A lot of well established metropolises have had dabblings with public transportation in one form or another. One of those back in the day were horse pulled trolleys, then cable pulled, the car came, quickly followed by the bus, and those are now in the middle of being marginalized by tracked mass transit all across the US. (pssst... ODOT we don't want the crime train in Washington, keep it to your side of the river.) The tracks are still probably there, just need to dig them out of the pavement.

Last edited:
A lot of well established metropolises have had dabblings with public transportation in one form or another. One of those back in the day were horse pulled trolleys, then cable pulled, the car came, quickly followed by the bus, and those are now in the middle of being marginalized by tracked mass transit all across the US. (pssst... ODOT we don't want the crime train in Washington, keep it to your side of the river.) The tracks are still probably there, just need to dig them out of the pavement.

Intercity mass transit tracks =! Freight train tracks

Indeed. Tram/light rail lines aren't meant to handle even the commuter trains that run around the city, nevermind the mile-long monsters that the BNSF and Union Pacific operate. We're best sticking to trucks for now. As to whether or not we want to set up a rail network on the other side of the gate (such as a short line between, say, Alnus and Italica), that's up to the brass and perhaps the Department of Transportation (and perhaps the FRA) to decide.

I mentioned before that the Gate will be forced to closer sooner or later, if the US doesn't want massive earthquakes devastating both sides as two different planes of time and space that weren't meant to be stuck together pull their respective tectonic plates apart. SoCal already has the potential for devastating earthquakes along the San Andreas fault, and once the USGS and the rest of the scientific and political community finds out about the potential for further massive earthquakes the longer the Gate stays open for extended periods of time, they'd find a way to be able to reopen it, and then close it periodically to lessen the chance of that happening double quick, though it'll definitely be the reopening part that'll be the hardest (it took Lelei being possessed by Hardy to learn how to do it, and even then, she doesn't have complete control over what world she links to, only a general neighborhood idea).

So yeah, railroads across the Gate aren't likely to happen, what with them being cut every time the Gate is forced to close to prevent these massive earthquakes. A railline to the Gate at Alnus from Italica, I can see. Probably truck traffic across it to the appropriate rail yard or other relevant facility in San Diego.

Last edited:
I mentioned before that the Gate will be forced to closer sooner or later, if the US doesn't want massive earthquakes devastating both sides as two different planes of time and space that weren't meant to be stuck together pull their respective tectonic plates apart. SoCal already has the potential for devastating earthquakes along the San Andreas fault, and once the USGS and the rest of the scientific and political community finds out about the potential for further massive earthquakes the longer the Gate stays open for extended periods of time, they'd find a way to be able to reopen it, and then close it periodically to lessen the chance of that happening double quick, though it'll definitely be the reopening part that'll be the hardest
(it took Lelei being possessed by Hardy to learn how to do it, and even then, she doesn't have complete control over what world she links to, only a general neighborhood idea).

So yeah, railroads across the Gate aren't likely to happen, what with them being cut every time the Gate is forced to close to prevent these massive earthquakes. A railline to the Gate at Alnus from Italica, I can see. Probably truck traffic across it to the appropriate rail yard or other relevant facility in San Diego.
Hay, some of us can only read the English translation. Do you mind spoilering some of that? plus there are ways to have a track that is cut still carry load across it. Look at train bridges with lift sections. To get through the gate a special type of mechanized bridge with track laid on top.

Last edited:
Back