Gate - Thus First Recon Fought There!

Are there going to be precautions about disease exchanges? Like bringing in gas masks, NBC suits and other things?

Well, there will definitely be hippies and hipsters and green freaks who will be looking for a nice place to live off the grid.

The US is still big enough to provide that while being close enough to civilization. :p

We need an America, Fuck Yeah! video on this. Can't post it on my phone.

After like 10+ years of the "MURICA FUCK YEAH" meme used by Americans in a self-deprecating way or by snooty Europeans (mostly brits) to mock us, it has become old and annoying. I hope this thread won't be full of that.

And really, at least with this being America instead of Japan, it's slightly less ridiculous because we have a huge military; instead of the token military of a rapidly aging (so old they buy more adult diapers than baby diapers) pacifistic nation.

Last edited:
Are there going to be precautions about disease exchanges? Like bringing in gas masks, NBC suits and other things?

This seems important. Any interactions could be marred if one or both parties suffer from pandemics. Expect CBRN protection to be used by initial forces until it is assured that no diseases will break out among themselves or the locals.

And really, at least with this being America instead of Japan, it's slightly less ridiculous because we have a huge military; instead of the token military of a rapidly aging (so old they buy more adult diapers than baby diapers) pacifistic nation.

The JSDF isn't exactly token. It's not a large military force by any means, nor has it been tested in combat, but curbstomping fantasy!Rome in a day was never the worst of Gate's wanking.

Now if everyone in the fantasy world starts taking up football, eating american barbecue, and talking about the virtues of the Second Amendment, it might be similar to Gate's Japan wanking.

Edit : Oh, and if the fantasy Roman expies end up marveling at the concept of fast food. That would be the American version of them being wowed by the concept of a bath house.

Last edited:
The JSDF isn't exactly token.

Oh you know what I mean. :p Their military is basically like Canada (for the same reason--having the U.S protecting them) except with a reluctantly better navy.

Oh, and if the fantasy Roman expies end up marveling at the concept of fast food.

But--actually yeah. That would be retarded. I'm pretty sure even fantasy or historical medieval people had the equivalent of hot food stands.

Last edited:
But--actually yeah. That would be retarded. I'm pretty sure even fantasy or historical medieval people had the equivalent of hot food stands.

It's even better than that. Study of Roman garbage pits has revealed absurdly low quality ceramics which are believed to have been the equivalent of to-go-boxes. This is reinforced by a lack of central cooking and dining areas in many Roman homes and study of Pompeii where small plates were found scattered throughout domiciles including in bedrooms and working areas.

The Romans outright had fast food and it formed a major component of the average urban dwelling Roman's diet.

Last edited:
Given one half of the source material and that none of us are seasoned writers that sort of goes without saying. Still potentially leagues better than Gate. And having caught up again on gate its sad how unexagerated that statement actually is.

In any case enough chocolate syrup and sprinkles can make even a shit smoothy pretty enjoyable.
TH, don't sell yourself short. In HalO, you took two shitty harem stories, ripped the harem elements kicking and screaming out of them, and choke-slammed a lot of awesome into the remaining mix.

Back on subject, the aforementioned work shows what can happen when you rip the harem elements out of a work that would otherwise have the potential to be cool...

Um... Shit. This IS Gate we're talking about, AKA what happens when you mix Berserk, High School DxD, and Rambo in a blender and hit 'crappe'. To be fucking honest, it's going to take a miracle to turn it into something palatable. Good luck with that, seriously, something tells me you'll need it.

Edit : Oh, and if the fantasy Roman expies end up marveling at the concept of fast food. That would be the American version of them being wowed by the concept of a bath house.
Honestly the would be a bit surprised that anything with that many spices is cheap. They won't be impressed by the quality, but the quantity will do. Spices were expensive, which was why people were willing to travel in caravans across entire contents to trad in them.

That and the quantities of glass and steel. They would likely think of plastic as a hard wax unless the individual has worked with resin before.

Um... Shit. This IS Gate we're talking about, AKA what happens when you mix Berserk, High School DxD, and Rambo in a blender and hit 'crappe'. To be fucking honest, it's going to take a miracle to turn it into something palatable. Good luck with that, seriously, something tells me you'll need it.

Well, in my opinion, one way to do it is to just kick the fantasy factor up a notch. For example, make whatever magical or mythical beasts they find beyond the Gate to be less gigantic animal, and more force of nature, or even walking catastrophe. Like the red dragon, make them far hardier than in the original, so instead of losing a limb with one shot of rpg, make it so they need multiple shots just to punch through its hide. Also, instead of fighting the military with just foot soldiers and cavalry, make the Empire have magicians who have their own brand of AOE magic (things like icicle rains, wall of fire, tornado, the like) to use in big engagements. After all, AU is a thing, right?

Honestly the would be a bit surprised that anything with that many spices is cheap. They won't be impressed by the quality, but the quantity will do. Spices were expensive, which was why people were willing to travel in caravans across entire contents to trad in them.
There are enough local herbs around that are nice substitutes for expansive spices that are pretty cheap. Basil for example, or garlic.

Well, in my opinion, one way to do it is to just kick the fantasy factor up a notch. For example, make whatever magical or mythical beasts they find beyond the Gate to be less gigantic animal, and more force of nature, or even walking catastrophe. Like the red dragon, make them far hardier than in the original, so instead of losing a limb with one shot of rpg, make it so they need multiple shots just to punch through its hide. Also, instead of fighting the military with just foot soldiers and cavalry, make the Empire have magicians who have their own brand of AOE magic (things like icicle rains, wall of fire, tornado, the like) to use in big engagements. After all, AU is a thing, right?

Or you can change it into another setting. Because that's just Gate in name only.:wtf:

Or you can change it into another setting. Because that's just Gate in name only.:wtf:
...So, making dragons with tougher hides and adding magicians to the Empire's forces is enough to make the original setting unrecognizable? Or is it because adding that would prevent the Americans from having a total one-sided curb stomp that is your problem with it?

Last edited:
...So, making dragons with tougher hides and adding magicians to the Empire's forces is enough to make the original setting unrecognizable? Or is it because adding that would prevent the Americans from having a total one-sided curb stomp that is your problem with it?

The first one. Your suggestion could come right after they learn their lesson. Like Japan did when Perry came to visit. Samurai spirit ain't match for steam and steel.

Last edited:
Depends on the RPG warhead, actually. The VL will do 500 mm of rolled homogeneous armor, while the VR (a tandem HEAT warhead) will do somewhere between 600 and 750.

Or, more correctly... The scales on a dragon's arm would need the same characteristics as two feet of armour-hardened steel to no-sell the tandem round, assuming an early misfire due to the temp around the dragon.

If anything can soak something like that and still somehow fly, well... then whoever kills it aught to use its skin as an extra armour layer.

You need to remember though, that the dragons also need to be killable by the locals because otherwise, humans, elves, and everyone else ends up a hunted species, a prey species. There be no civilization for the Americans to stomp because the dragons would have killed them all.

You need to remember though, that the dragons also need to be killable by the locals because otherwise, humans, elves, and everyone else ends up a hunted species, a prey species. There be no civilization for the Americans to stomp because the dragons would have killed them all.

*sigh* This should teach me to not be vague about my statements. Sorry about that.

The 'walking catastrophe' dragons I referred to weren't just the generic, run-of-the-mill dragons (like the ones they use as mounts), but the Red Dragon, which is specifically stated as an Ancient Dragon and also under Giselle's control who, herself, is the apostle of Hardy, god of the underworld. Considering dragons age like fine wine, I think it'd be safe if we were to make a dragon, who's lived long enough to be called ancient (several millenia at the very least), strong and durable as fuck.

Last edited:
Have people here not seen Generation Kill and just want mil-wank? The biggest enemies in Generation Kill weren't the Iraqis; there was absolutely no balance between sides. The drama came from the incompetents on their own side and interpersonal "hearts and minds" issues.

There are enough local herbs around that are nice substitutes for expansive spices that are pretty cheap. Basil for example, or garlic.
True, but seeing cheap yellow mustard on every table in a fast food joint would be a surprise. So much mustard, even if its shit mustard.

Back