Gangster Squad Redux - One Crimefighter At Sufficient Velocity...

Yo Sketch, would it be alright if I can have that Bolt Action outfitted with a Bayonet? It'll give me a Reason to get the Bayonet Drill perk. :p
Everyone will be getting a sword bayonet, a utility knife, a spade and a few safety grenades. Generally speaking, expect late WW1/early interwar technology levels, just as the "modern day" is late interwar/early WW2.

One medic coming up

Name
Ronald Gascolator
Human?
No  

Handedness
Right  
History

Origin
City Dweller
Education
Graduate

Politics
Servo Liberation
The War
N/A

Ambition
Power
Motivation
Circumstance

Vice
Pride
Virtue
Patience
Lifestyle

Employment

Rank
Military

Residence

Class
Transportation

Augmentation

Eyes

Right Arm

Ears

Left Arm

Brain

Right Hand

Throat

Left Hand

Chest

Left Leg

Torso

Right Leg

Spine

Other

Traits

Physical

Mental

Social

Grit
Intelligence
Slickness

Fisticuffs
Dexterity
Stature

Steadiness
Sleuthiness
Connections

Derring Do
Covertness
Contacts

Strikes

Fatigue

Stress

Hardiness
Sharpness
Resolve

Vitality
Endurance
Resilience

Perks

Perks

Perks
-Duck and Weave
-Stay Down
-Center Mass
-Defensive Stance
-Weapon Proficiency: Trowbridge
-
-
-
-
-
-Knowledge: Medicine
-Knowledge: First Aid
-Knowledge: Anatomy
-First Responder
-Battlefield Medic
-
-
-
-
-
-Cynic
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Advancement

Last edited:
Anybody have an idea what the Tough Perk from the Frontier Background does?

I was gonna go rifleman cause that sounded easy to repurpose Eddy for, but I guess I'll take the explosives expert. What type of shotgun does he get? And does he get any explosive weapons besides the standard grenades for the group? Or is he just gonna be carrying the charge to explode the zepplin and that's the extent of his explosives arsenal?

I guess basically, I'm asking if I have high enough grit, if I can get a rocket launcher or mortar or something else to make big booms. If not that's fine, just curious.

Last edited:
I was gonna go rifleman cause that sounded easy to repurpose Eddy for, but I guess I'll take the explosives expert. What type of shotgun does he get? And does he get any explosive weapons besides the standard grenades for the group? Or is he just gonna be carrying the charge to explode the zepplin and that's the extent of his explosives arsenal?

I guess basically, I'm asking if I have high enough grit, if I can get a rocket launcher or mortar or something else to make big booms. If not that's fine, just curious.
You'll be carrying a shitload of dynamite, a selection of mines, and a few grenades, plus all the fuses and stuff you could ever want. You are, of course, a commando, and are expected to also repurpose enemy gear as necessary!

Anybody have an idea what the Tough Perk from the Frontier Background does?
If you'd only take 1 Strike from a failed test, you don't take any; you're hardened to little cuts and bruises, basically.

I'm in.

Dibs on the Translator.
Work them social stats. Slickness especially. I recommend being an immigrant from the region.

I cannot into this file.

Last edited:
You'll be carrying a shitload of dynamite, a selection of mines, and a few grenades, plus all the fuses and stuff you could ever want. You are, of course, a commando, and are expected to also repurpose enemy gear as necessary!

Yeeeesssssssss. BIG BADDA BOOM! Also with all dem explosives I oughta have some good grit. Kind of wish there were more explosives related perks. But oh well.

Like much in the Hardboiled documents, the Mentor archetype seems a little out of date.

Mentors start with 25 skill points and 30 Advancement points on creation.

Skill points are easy enough, but every character already gets 10 points for traits (that can rollover) and 30 points for perks (distributed among various skill groups), so where does the mentor's bonus get factored in?

Kind of went weird with the perks. But seems like it should work out, a highly mobile dude with lots of explosives and a shotgun sounds like fun. Also, he's really big, so that just makes it more amusing that he's probably the most agile person on the team.

Name

Stan Smith

Human?

Yes

Handedness

Right

History

Origin

Frontier

Education

Graduate

Politics

Flesh First

The War

Marine Experience

Ambition

Power

Motivation

Boredom

Vice

Envy

Virtue

Diligence
Lifestyle

Archetype

Partner

Employment

Rank

Military

Residence

Class

Transportation

Augmentation

Eyes

Right Arm

Ears

Left Arm

Brain

Right Hand

Throat

Left Hand

Chest

Left Leg

Torso

Right Leg

Spine

Other

Traits

Giant (2)

Physical

Mental

Social

Grit

3+1

Intelligence

Slickness

Fisticuffs

Dexterity

Stature

Steadiness

Sleuthiness

Connections

Derring Do

Covertness

Contacts

Strikes

Fatigue

Stress

Hardiness

Sharpness

Resolve

Vitality

Endurance

Resilience

Perks

Perks

Perks

- Disciplined
- Knowledge: Explosives
- Drunken Boxer
- Duck and Weave
- Combat Reflexes
-
-
-
-
-

- Tough
- Battle Hardened
- Center Mass
- Urban Runner
-
-
-
-
-
-

- Hot Potato
- Weapon Proficiency Shotgun
- Tumbler
- Gymnast
-
-
-
-
-
-
Advancement

2 PAP

3 MAP

0 SAP
Inventory: Coolstone 20

Like much in the Hardboiled documents, the Mentor archetype seems a little out of date.

Skill points are easy enough, but every character already gets 10 points for traits (that can rollover) and 30 points for perks (distributed among various skill groups), so where does the mentor's bonus get factored in?
Straight-up take on 10 additional Trait points (that still rollover).

I figured that actually having someone directly from the area would be a bit too convenient.

So, instead, a third-generation Vitelian, who's studied the nations's customs, and geography, who joined the army to help pay off his loans.

It's time for equipment!

Note: Feel free to ditch anything you don't think you need.

Generic Equipment
Clothing: Fatigues, Combat Boots, Field Cap (Combat Fedora), Trenchcoat
Armour: Gangster Vest, Steel Helmet
Load-Bearing Gear: Webbing Belt, Rucksack, Military Webbing
Explosives: Everyone is carrying 2 Fragmentation Grenades.
Equipment: Medium collapsible shovel, Combat Knife, Clip-on Canteen (takes up no inventory), Small rations pack (good for 2 days), Compact medical kit (Contains a consumable +1 to medical checks and a painkiller that will convert 2 Strikes to 3 Fatigue.)
Ammunition: As much as you can carry!

The Officer
Sinestra Typewriter, one conventional pistol of your choice. 3 Small signal flares (2 Red, 1 Green), Binoculars, and a map

Explosive Expert
Trench Gun, 2 additional Fragmentation Grenades, 2 Medium bundles of six Dynamite sticks, 2 lighters.

The Big Guy
Rattler Machine Gun, Diamondback Adder. You'll probably need to convince somebody else to carry the tripod for your machine-gun, and spread ammo belts around the team. Remember ammo belts are Heavy (1)

Rifleman
A good-old Trowbridge 2828 bolt-action rifle. You get a Sword Bayonet, which is a bayonet you can also use as a short sword.

The Medic
Another Trowbridge and sword bayonet. You replace your Rucksack with a large medical kit, which gives you +3 to Medical Checks, Painkillers, Morphine (turns 5 Strikes into 6 Fatigue) and 1 Power Clamp (You can instantly stop ongoing damage for Servos by applying the clamps, but once they are off it starts again.)

The Translator
The aforementioned Basilone, a Compact book of Knowledge: Khevlania, and a roll of two hundred dollars of hot cash. The exchange rate of Khevlanian copper pieces to Union City dollars is about 80:1, so try not to spend it all in one place.

Are we more or less good to go? Because I can delay the mission if you want a proper in-post briefing so you can do planning.

Last edited:
Do the medium bundles of dynamite qualify as heavy 1? Cause if not it looks like I can carry 4 belts of ammo with no DD penalty for the machine gunner.

Can I get a sling for the trench gun? Also yay, I have 16 explosives. 4 grenades and 12 dynamites. ALL THE EXPLOSIONS.

Now to figure out inventory slots so I know how much spare ammo I can carry. And how many belts of ammo I can carry for the gunner.

Back