Falling Iron (IM MCU/WORM)

Iron Man's first patrol

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Poll is up! Just like it says on the tin, who should Tony run into on his first official patrol?​

Poll is up! Just like it says on the tin, who should Tony run into on his first official patrol?​

I wish there was an option for multiple choices.

I voted Undersiders because I feel that they would probably be easier to find, what with Rachel walking her dogs and their loft in the abandoned factory might just be easily picked up as suspicious considering it's location.

But really I could see Tony zipping around the Docks area entirely, totally not just to show the flag and warn people away from Taylor's home, and encounters with the ABB thanks to facial recognition software could lead him to the infamous Lay-Z-Boy himself. :)

That was very stark like. Well done.
I have no idea why I can write run-on-patter Stark. But I'm glad you like!
I mean on one hand you have them probably wanting the Extremis guys to appear like a threat... but then you have the Mark 42 falling to pieces at the slightest tap...
The Mark 42 was almost certainly a joke, but someone did note that Tony basically built it while he was mentally falling apart himself. So maybe it was actually an allusion to his problems?
There would be some minor technical hurdles to overcome, but the insect controlled drones would have some undeniable advantages. Most importantly, they would be nearly impossible to jam or co-opt.
Except we know from Canon it actually can be jammed. And copied. (It's also normally extremely short ranged.)
I wish there was an option for multiple choices.

I voted Undersiders because I feel that they would probably be easier to find, what with Rachel walking her dogs and their loft in the abandoned factory might just be easily picked up as suspicious considering it's location.

But really I could see Tony zipping around the Docks area entirely, totally not just to show the flag and warn people away from Taylor's home, and encounters with the ABB thanks to facial recognition software could lead him to the infamous Lay-Z-Boy himself. :)
Tony would have been told the rules about not uncovering masks, thanks to the Endbringers. So catching people in the civvies is a lot less likely.

Last edited:
Tony would have been told the rules about not uncovering masks, thanks to the Endbringers. So catching people in the civvies is a lot less likely.
Oh true. But in some ways he could fly around, tag them all, and then track them to nail them when they mask up.

Plus, since when does he really stick to the rules that hard?

---

Lisa - You know this is breaking the unwritten rules...
Tony - And your breaking the law. I just had the common courtesy not to catch you guys until you broke the law with your masks on.
Lisa - *Gives him a look*
Tony - Oh stop it with the look. Besides, your records are not that bad when you think about it.
Alec - *Snorts*
Tony - Of course some are worse than others, obviously.

Except we know from Canon it actually can be jammed. And copied. (It's also normally extremely short ranged.)
Both by rare cases. Even then, Panacea needed to be in contact with a bug in Taylor's control and Leet could only build the one thing. Even then, the idea behind the drones I was suggesting would be as optional external equipment. Things like Bits and Funnels from Gundam. They would likely be much cheaper to build than to make entire new suits at least and would give her a utility that Tony simply wouldn't be able to manage without JARVIS' direct assistance.

Both by rare cases. Even then, Panacea needed to be in contact with a bug in Taylor's control and Leet could only build the one thing. Even then, the idea behind the drones I was suggesting would be as optional external equipment. Things like Bits and Funnels from Gundam. They would likely be much cheaper to build than to make entire new suits at least and would give her a utility that Tony simply wouldn't be able to manage without JARVIS' direct assistance.
Eh, he's more focused on making the PRT a lot more effective. He's about to shake the whole world up quite a bit.

A Tony Stark that is inclined to do enough research on people he comes into contact with and people-savvy enough to draw the connection between the Nilbog thing and Emily Piggot's general brusqueness when it comes to parahumans is a Tony Stark who is waaaay too on top of things to get Pepper Potts strawberries as an apology gift.

On the other hand, it is a character note that makes me really want to see Black Widow in a fic with this premise. How many Black Widow - Skitter teamups are out there?

Heh, Uber and Leet...

*heavy breathing and blushing*

Tony: "... dudes, quit it. This is super creepy."

On the other hand, it is a character note that makes me really want to see Black Widow in a fic with this premise. How many Black Widow - Skitter teamups are out there?

Hm. How about Black Widow - Miss Militia?
Or Captain America - Miss Militia. There might be some fangirling from the latter
... and much oogling from GG and Panacea. (Oh GOD DEM ABS/DAT BIOLOGY)

Last edited:
hmm..Holographic wings? not Hard light? like Falcons?
that way they are functional.
i.e shield, tray, sword, gun, that sort of thing

How about Black Widow - Miss Militia?

*thumbs up* Not quite as "named after spider - uses spiders" as Black Widow with Skitter*, but "is a weapon - always has a weapon" is pretty decent too...

Or Captain America - Miss Militia. There might be some fangirling from the latter

There might be some fanboying from the former, for that matter.

... and much oogling from GG and Panacea. (Oh GOD DEM ABS/DAT BIOLOGY)

Bonesaw: Meh. I could do better.

Winter Soldier mistaken for Case 53? Really there are a lot of people who could cross over from Marvel interestingly.

*Skitter has a power/name synergy with quite a few Marvel characters. Wasp, one of the less upsetting Ant-Mans (Ants-Man?), someone from the Spider-family... At least she doesn't have the ability to summon and control invertebrate-themed supercharacters from other franchises. That would be silly.

Any plans to have anyone else from the Marvelverse end up at Earth Bet in this fic?

hmm..Holographic wings? not Hard light? like Falcons?
that way they are functional.
i.e shield, tray, sword, gun, that sort of thing
MCU aka Earth 19999 not Marvel Comics Earth 616. Hardlight holograms are not in this Tony's tech tree yet.
Any plans to have anyone else from the Marvelverse end up at Earth Bet in this fic?
Not particularly. The Avengers might get a cameo in the end.

Last edited:
B) that JARVIS didn't punk the Extremis soldiers.
To be fair, if JARVIS had super fast reaction times and virtually unlimited multi-tasking, there would be no real need for any other heroes. He'd do everything himself.

And technobabbling a reason why he can't do that is actually fairly simple. Human beings are astonishingly good at interacting with the world. Babies are generally better at it than even the best experimental computer programs. The fact that JARVIS can interact with the world so well is a minor miracle and I'm fully prepared to believe that doing so eats up so much processing capacity/bandwidth/whatever, that it greatly reduces his reaction time. Certainly to the point where he'd have trouble keeping up with pumped up combat trained soldiers.

This readily explains why Tony Stark, a middle aged man who presumably has no military training, is the one operating the suit while JARVIS is relegated to running the systems. It isn't (just) that Tony is a narcissistic megalomaniac; he is simply able to comprehend and react to what is happening faster and more effectively than JARVIS.

Last edited:
A Tony Stark that is inclined to do enough research on people he comes into contact with and people-savvy enough to draw the connection between the Nilbog thing and Emily Piggot's general brusqueness when it comes to parahumans is a Tony Stark who is waaaay too on top of things to get Pepper Potts strawberries as an apology gift.
I totally forgot to reply to this.

What Tony did with digging up Piggot's background is not something a friend does. This is the sort of thing a fairly ruthless Type-A personality does while running a business.

Make of that what you will.

MCU aka Earth 19999 not Marvel Comics Earth 616. Hardlight holograms are not in this Tony's tech tree yet.
Well, that mostly means he hasn't thought of it on a slow weekend yet, but if he's got even the intangible "glowing 3d image floating over a projector" all-angles viewable hollywood holographs there's quite a bit of functionality to be had there already with sufficient creativity, even if they're monotone or only have a few display colors.

As for suggesting Firefly, I'd forgotten that Chrysalis was just picked and not even publicly debuted - my thoughts ran "Chrysalis had a silk costume, Firefly now has armor with glowy bits." Chrysalis is the more unique name anyway, and if you cast your eyes to the left you can see my opinion on those :V

Well, that mostly means he hasn't thought of it on a slow weekend yet, but if he's got even the intangible "glowing 3d image floating over a projector" all-angles viewable hollywood holographs there's quite a bit of functionality to be had there already with sufficient creativity, even if they're monotone or only have a few display colors.

As for suggesting Firefly, I'd forgotten that Chrysalis was just picked and not even publicly debuted - my thoughts ran "Chrysalis had a silk costume, Firefly now has armor with glowy bits." Chrysalis is the more unique name anyway, and if you cast your eyes to the left you can see my opinion on those :V
Oh, I'm sure that Taylor will use it for things that Tony didn't immediately intend the holograms for. But that's actually why they decided on holograms, rather than 'solid' wings in the first place.

And yeah, Chrysalis hasn't 'debuted' yet, so has no costume to identify her with. She is a very teeny tiny bit annoyed that she isn't going to her her own silk costume. But not much, because bullet proof armor that flies is much cooler.

Oh, I'm sure that Taylor will use it for things that Tony didn't immediately intend the holograms for. But that's actually why they decided on holograms, rather than 'solid' wings in the first place.

And yeah, Chrysalis hasn't 'debuted' yet, so has no costume to identify her with. She is a very teeny tiny bit annoyed that she isn't going to her her own silk costume. But not much, because bullet proof armor that flies is much cooler.
Considering how often MCU Tony hops out of the armor in a combat situation, if the trend carries over to her, she may well get plenty of use out of her homemade costume anyway.

What Tony did with digging up Piggot's background is not something a friend does. This is the sort of thing a fairly ruthless Type-A personality does while running a business.

Make of that what you will.

It makes sense that Tony knows how to business. Otherwise, Obadiah would not have needed to go to the lengths he had to in the first film. In that sense, handing over operational control of the company to Pepper implies a level of trust and character development this Tony hasn't achieved yet. And thanks to super-therapy, might never need to.

Though with Taylor's brand of horrifying uncharismatic charisma, Tony should turn into someone distict from Avengers Iron Man. Or being Dragon-Dad. Or running a company he built up from the ground up. Or just not falling in love with someone who is his minder/mother-figure due to her being 15 years old.

Last edited:
So... Taylor 'Munchkin' Hebert in charge of a (relatively) cheap knock-off Iron Man suit; I look forward to the awesome.

I'd have to re-watch the movies to be sure, but I'm fairly certain that every time Tony's stepped out of the suit while in combat has been to do some combat engineering SCIENCE! Given that Taylor doesn't really need to exit the suit to do fine manipulation (as she can get her bugs to do that for her), I can't see her spider-silk costume getting used for reasons other than PR, as, unless the suit is a hanger queen (unlikely in something that's intended to be general-issue), there is every reason for Taylor, and everyone else issued the suit in future to treat it much like the Rifleman's Creed, only with suit instead of rifle.

Hmm. There's a question; is JARVIS going to be running Taylor's suit? Quite likely, I'd think. What of the other suits; are they all going to have a rudimentary AI of some sort, or will the troops get a choice between JARVIS or Dragon being their co-pilot?

I can't recall if it was mentioned or not, but where would the squisher parahumans come on the list of people who get issued suits? Obviously, someone like Alexandria wouldn't get much benefit from one, but Miss Militia would benefit greatly from the armour and mobility a suit would give her, and, I'd imagine, though it might go either way, would still have full use from her power.

Clockblocker and Gallant would probably take a tinker in order to rig up a suit for their use, but Vista should be able to use one straight off the production line (presuming the production line can make one the right size).

I'd think that junior Tinkers would be given a pretty big leg up by being issued a suit; it won't take years of effort to force potentially uncooperative powers to produce a suit of armour that yields a basic Alexandria package, it doesn't use any Tinker-tech, so it's entirely understandable, and thus extensible; replacement parts will be mass-produced, so the various Tinkers would only need to perform field-circus engineering in order to effect repairs to the base suit (or get PRT techs to do it), so they can concentrate their effort on only those components that actually need a Tinker to make.

Ideally, the general-issue suit would have the weapons-systems be modular, so that, either an on-site tinker can produce drop-in weapon modules, or, better, given that they no-longer need to do maintenance on the entire suit, engage in cottage-industry mass-production of weapon modules for distribution to their team and/or the PRT/Protectorate as a whole.

The first attachment I can see being manufactured, given Dragon already mass-produces the stuff would be a grenade-launcher, or perhaps a hard-point-mounted backpack for containment foam.

When Miss Militia summons a weapon, she gets the whole thing - missile launcher, sights, handgrips, not just the explodey bits. An Iron Man suit probably isn't a weapon, but if you designed one where the suit was so tightly integrated with the actual weaponry that it made no sense to think of the suit as not being an integral part of the weapon, using purely non-Tinker technology, could she pull off a magical girl transformation sequence to summon it?

Back