Beyond the city, well into the ocean, a looming hulk of metal was visible, rising from the depths like some kind of leviathan - the lower case, giant sea monster, kind, not the uppercase, douchebags who created the mechasquid, kind.

The FFV Ringworld - I'd actually built the thing relatively close to 'standard' - I'd taken images of the Manswell Expedition vessel from the data disk Fusou had given us and used that as a base from which to create the ship, giving it a somewhat more 'authentic' appearance.

Not quite sure of this design from what my mind is picturing.

Do you have some form of visual aid that might actually show what this is?

Or does anyone have a link to the source material?

Edit: never mind

Went back to chap 79 when it was first mentioned and read from there.

Still no clue what FFV Ringworld and the Manswell Expedition vessel are supposed to look like

Last edited:
84 - Mediate
Short chapter because blugh.

84 - Mediate
I watched through half a dozen cameras as the Batarian entourage made their way from the accommodation I'd provided them, - one of the larger 'hotel-esque' buildings in Miranda's northern district, - down to the nearest transport terminal, a small skyrail station built on the bank of one of the city's numerous canals. Amusingly, it wasn't Krilak Thol leading the procession, but rather one of the armed and armoured militia members, who was waving his arms and gesturing enthusiastically as they entered the terminal.

This particular Batarian I recognized, but not because he was on the Hegemony's hit list. Rather, he was one of the more avid travellers amongst the Judak Nurr's militia cell, or at least it seemed.

Some of the Batarians actually surprised me with how much they used the public transport, even in just the day and a bit they'd been present. Though most of them didn't use it, a couple of them had apparently taken it upon themselves to visit every train station in the city, or something, and this particular Batarian was one of them.

After travelling south all the way through the city they'd spent a short while on the beach, looking out at the 'wreck' of the FFV Ringworld and watching Hope and I surf, and then gotten back on the trains and gone back north to their little hotel.

I wasn't entirely sure as to why they'd felt the need to take a trip to the beach, but thankfully Humans were still one of the biggest mysteries in the universe and apparently the Batarians didn't think much of my NeoAvatar's massively faked sentience as they made their way through the city.

The precession stepped onto a train that had just pulled into the station - two minutes ahead of schedule, but it wasn't like anyone else was waiting on the train.

Whilst they settled in on the train, I turned my attention to an alternate NeoAvatar, 77 kilometres away.

---

The Michael Bay Military Base, despite its name, had yet to suffer too many explosions, and the few that had occurred had been less 'enormous ball of fire' and more 'chunks of ceramic scattered all across the floor'.

This was largely because we hadn't actually started testing many of our more stupid ideas yet. The current project in the works was a new form of flight-capable, or at least superjump-capable, NeoAvatar - we'd kicked the idea around a little while after Hope had first figured out how to operate Eezo, but now we were taking the time to actually do something about it.

By stripping away the NeoAvatar's resource storage systems mounted in the, uh, chest region, and relocating some of the bulkier sensors to take their place, we freed up a lot of space running along the Avatar's spine - a space we promptly filled in with a small Eezo core.

Unfortunately, even with the Eezo core as small as it could go whilst still being useful, it was still too big to fit comfortably inside a Human-sized frame. That problem was relatively easy to solve, simply by covering the whole thing in armour. When completed, it simply looked like a battlesuit with a large backpack mounted power core - which wasn't too far from the truth, honestly.

Once we had the Eezo core sorted, making the robot light enough to be capable of flight, we had to figure out the actual mechanisms of said flight. After a little fiddling around, we came up with a workable design - four lightweight wings were built into the backpack, capable of folding up for storage. Those wings were less for gliding and more for controlling flight, which meant we were able to cut down on their size a bit.

The main propulsion came in the form of a number of microthrusters, not just on the backpack but also on the waist and each boot, providing a fair amount of control over the flight path.

Or, it would, once we figured out how to actually fly with it.

"Okay," Hope said as the Fabricators finished construction of our first test subject. "Do we want to do this the boring, effective way, or the stupid, fun way?"

I shot her a flat glare. "That's a stupid question, and you already know the answer."

---

The AeroAvatar stepped into the middle of the room, braced slightly, looked up, and activated the Eezo core. A blue glow wafted over the AeroAvatar, bringing its weight down to more manageable levels. All systems reading nominal, Hope activated the thrusters. Dozens of small pulses of energy fired from the suit and flight pack, lifting the heavy-turned-light unit easily into the air.

And straight into the ceiling.

At hypersonic speeds.

The AeroAvatar's head practically splattered on impact, shards of metal and sensor components exploding all over the testing room in a shower of debris. Detecting an issue, the thrusters cut out, causing the now-headless Aero to fall, in relatively slow motion, back towards the ground.

And then, midair, the Eezo core exploded, sending even more shrapnel flying around at high speed.

Hope and I shared a glance, giggling. "Well, that didn't work."

---

"Okay, take two. I set the power down to seventy five percent."

The Eezo core engaged safely, the Aero braced, and the thrusters fired.

This time, instead of shattering on impact, the Aero 'merely' caved in its own metallic skull, toppling towards the ground with sparks flying from its damaged sensor arrays.

Bright side, the Eezo core had the decency to wait until it hit the ground before it exploded.

---

"Test three. Power to fifty."

Thud.

"Ooh, that had to hurt."

Thud.

"Think it'll explode this-"

Boom.

"Never mind."

---

"Test five."

"Oh, hey, it didn't headbutt the ceiling and kill itself. Progress!"

"Yeah, but I feel like-"

Boom.

"Ugh."

---

"Test eleven, or why the fuck is the eezo core still exploding."

Boom.

---

"Test forty six. This is getting silly."

"Do you want to just put it back in the design program and get that to figure this out?"

"NO, DAMNIT!"

---

Eventually I had to leave Hope to it, as Krilak Thol's train was finally pulling into the station nearest what I'd dubiously declared the Faith Foundation's New Bondi Headquarters - a shy, one story building with a number of smaller rooms, currently nothing but server farms, surrounding a single larger meeting room, complete with a number of different table shapes that could rise from the floor, a ceiling mounted holographic projector, and a number of speakers and microphones scattered throughout.

To be entirely honest, the main reason for that was for showing off. But it worked.

The Batarian entourage stepped off the train, eighteen in all, and I immediately started fiddling around inside the meeting room, creating a long, curved table large enough for all of them to sit on one side - and, after a moment of stupidity, chairs to match.

---

Krilak Thol brought not one but two inner circles to the meeting - the majority of his people were his militant leaders, with only a handful of his more politically-minded followers present. I suspected that was due to Lorek's status as the hideout for the primary militant cells, meaning that the Judak Nurr's true political inner circle was probably elsewhere.

Given this particular meeting was more about the militaries than the politics, though, I didn't foresee that being much of an issue.

Once the Batarians had taken their seats, I decided to make my entrance. Kind of. Following in the fashion of Warframe's Cephalon Suda, my avatar for this meeting was nothing more than a holographic translucent green sphere, flanked and orbited by a series of smaller spheres.

I could have used a NeoAvatar, but… well, frankly, I felt like showing off.

The Batarians eyed the holographic geometry warily as it wobbled in the air at the far end of the room from their table.

"Greetings, Krilak Thol and associates. I do so hope you've enjoyed your stay on Miranda, brief as it has been."

The rebels glanced between themselves and muttered - I could still hear them, of course, but I figured giving them the illusion of privacy wouldn't hurt in this case. Finally, Krilak turned to speak to me.

"You are the Faith Foundation's leader? I'm afraid to say you have me at a disadvantage, here."

"My name is Faith. I understand that must sound rather presumptuous, and I do apologize for that. Shall we get straight into business?"

Krilak nodded firmly. "Very well, then. Your starship captain explained that you wish to offer us the aid of the Faith Foundation in our rebellion against the Hegemony, in the form of supplies, equipment and soldiers. Is that correct?"

"As a brief overview of what exactly it is we wish to offer you, it is acceptable," I confirmed.

Krilak nodded again. "And may I ask why? Captain Drake said that no one benefitted from the Hegemony's presence - was that her opinion alone, or the opinion of your group as a whole?"

"All of us. Not, necessarily, all of Humanity, although I suspect almost all of them would be against the slaving and the torture and so on, but the Faith Foundation certainly stand against the Hegemony. This galaxy is veritably plagued with issues - piracy, slavery, famine, war. The Hegemony are not the sole cause, but they are certainly one of the greatest concentrations and contributors. They are but the first target."

"So we're just soldiers to you?" One of the Judak Nurr's military leaders asked pointedly. "It sounds as if our cause doesn't interest you."

"I apologize. I was merely explaining the larger picture behind my actions. The ultimate goal is to remove the Hegemony and put a more favourable, morally acceptable government in their place. We believe that you could form that government, and because of that, we are very interested in your cause."

The soldier went to speak again, but Krilak waved him down. "May I ask what would happen, were we to refuse?"

"You would be returned to Hegemony space, to a location and at a time of your choosing, and should the forces of the Faith Foundation ever encounter you on the battlefield, you would not be fired upon… unless, of course, we are… provoked."

Krilak smiled smugly. "Excellent. It is nice to see you are willing to take no for an answer. Integrity in negotiations is something I admire. Now, as you say, to business? Were we to accept, what are your expectations for us? You say you wish the Judak Nurr to supersede the Hegemony. Do you hold other expectations for us?"

I paused for a moment, considering that. "Not particularly. If you continue to live up to your reputation, then merely assuming control of Batarian infrastructure and operating as you are should be sufficient."

Krilak frowned, his eyes narrowing. "You're willing to provide us equipment and manpower for nothing in return? Forgive me for being suspicious."

My holographic avatar flickered as laughter echoed through the room. "Consider it an act of… good faith."

Krilak's eyes narrowed again.

"Will you accept our offer of assistance, Krilak Thol? Or shall we make arrangements to return you to Hegemony space?"

The Batarian entourage shared some nervous glances, but apparently everyone present trusted their leader to make the right choice.

"Much as I hate to say it, Faith, we could certainly use the assistance. On behalf of the Judak Nurr, I accept."

"Consider it an act of… good faith."

You'd probably have gotten a better response by saying 'the economic and political opportunities that would be offered by the shake up of the Batarian Hegemony's government would likely return our investment in you a hundredfold or more.' It's a tangible benefit that Judak Nurr can understand.

You must look at Knight Sabers Hardsuits from Bubblegum Crisis.
The Pink Saber one. Not because you are good at hacking, but because you are clumsiest one, so far.

Inspiration! 7MB

Last edited:
85 - Dambuster
85 - Dambuster

After dubiously accepting our assistance, Krilak had ordered his four military advisors to hop to, and plan a nice, big, showy attack, to prove that the Judak Nurr were still up and kicking, whilst he and the more peaceful members of his inner circle got to work coordinating the rest of the resistance movement, getting a great deal out of my highly advanced FTL communications systems.

Of the four militant officers, only one was a former officer, an ex-member of the Hegemony's military - the others were veterans of gang and mercenary fighting, and the sum of their strategic planning experience was as members of the Jaduk Nurr.

Luckily, that had apparently taught them something, because they were doing a better job at picking out the suboptimal targets than I was.

Then again, I wasn't really trying, because thanks to a message I'd received from Fusou, I already had a target in mind. I waited for Jarruk, the ex-military veteran, to finish explaining that proximity to a Hegemony airbase made attacking the Jalnor Refinery, and several other critical targets, a proposal far too risky for the Judak Nurr, and butted in.

"Which is why we're not going for any of the targets nearer the cities. Not yet, anyway."

The holographic map of Jalnor, Lorek's capital city, faded away, replaced by another, smaller map. Honestly, the Batarian base we were now looking at reminded me a little of the Amp Stations from Planetside. A single large factory building, surrounded by a number of smaller attendant buildings such as barracks and store rooms, all protected by a huge wall dotted with watchtowers.

"This facility is located in the Kurapp valley - am I pronouncing that right? It's well out of the way of any civilian installations. Unfortunately, being an armour and artillery testing range, it's also surrounded by flat, open plains and bristling with heavy turrets, of both anti-tank and anti-air varieties," I explained, gesturing to points of interest on the map as I spoke.

"So we can't flank it, and a full-on assault is suicide," Kren'thal summed up neatly.

A couple of the other Batarians were nodding. "You have a plan, though, I take it? You wouldn't have brought it to our attention otherwise."

"Amphibious assault. An elite team - and not to diss your own skills, but I'm thinking a Foundation team for this mission, - performs an amphibious assault and rushes in to destroy the anti-air turrets. When those are down, your forces will be able to come in by air and drop into the facility, hopefully whilst they're still disoriented and trying to regroup."

The Judak Nurr commanders seemed relatively happy with that, until one pointed out the obvious flaw. "But the river is almost eighty metres from the edge of the facility, and there's no cover. The only approach angle that would let you build speed would be going against the current. You'll get slaughtered."

"Absolutely right. Except… the river that runs through this particular valley is monitored from here, the Kuvinara Dam, just two kilometres upstream, at the edge of the valley. And according to a quick aerial scouting run, the reservoir is almost full. We ran a simulation of what might happen if the entire reservoir was poured into the valley..."

On the holographic map, the water level began to rise, reaching closer and closer to the base until eventually it intersected the walls. By the time it stopped, almost sixty metres of the Batarian base would be underwater.

"Basically, the Batarians should have built on the other bank." At Kren'thal's questioning look, I continued. "The other bank is more elevated. Because the water will be spreading over the north bank, it might not even reach high enough up to overflow on the southern side."

The ex-mercenary nodded. "I see."

Jarruk, the elder of the four Batarians and the only one with actual experience as a military commander, finally offered his thoughts. "Opening the dam would give them too much warning… we'd have to destroy it all at once. If nothing else, it'll certainly send a message. The Hegemony will certainly hate us after this. Destroying the dam won't have too much of an effect on the civilians in the area - last I checked, Unna was the only town that river serviced, and it's been abandoned since its mines were tapped out."

"If we do go ahead with this attack, what do we gain? Besides reputation."

"Can I answer that question with another question? Pretend for a moment you're the Hegemony. You've just authorised construction of a large, heavily fortified military armour and artillery compound with its own factory and research and development facilities in the middle of nowhere on a relatively unimportant backwater, over six hundred kilometres from the nearest inhabited area. Why?"

"Stupidity," Nukrae offered sarcastically.

Jarruk shot him a glare. "It's a vehicle depot with it's own factory and engineering facilities. The factory would make sense - for providing repairs and the like. But they wouldn't need the engineering facilities unless they wanted to do something new and untested. It's a prototype lab."

I nodded my head. "That's what my sources indicate." Thank you, Fusou. "Unfortunately, this means there will be a lot of BSA employees around. They're technically military, but they're not soldiers..."

Kren'thal shrugged. "As long as they don't point guns at us, we generally just tie them up and leave them. Not sure how well that'll work if this isn't a hit-and-run, though. Think there'll be a lot of suit-rats?"

I blinked. "Suit rats? You mean Quarians? Why would they be there?"

"The Hegemony hires them," Nukrae explained, spitting on the ground. "Gives them a nice, well paying job, guaranteed access to old Hegemony resources, and a bit of practical experience for their Pilgrimage, or whatever. They treat the damned vandals better than they treat their own people, mostly."

Well now, that's an interesting tidbit I hadn't known. I made a note to review the other employment records Fusou had dug up - there might have been more information there. And then I got back to the point of the meeting.

"Interesting. But not as interesting as this. Supposedly, two SIU officers, - and, of course, their entourage, - are to visit the facility in four days' time, for a 'routine inspection.' Whether or not you believe that, it's a chance to put the hurt on one of their biggest factories outside their home system, and take out two SIU high-ups to boot."

The four Batarians fell silent, weighing possibilities in their heads.

"Four days is not a lot of time to prepare," Kren'thal pointed out, after extended consideration.

"Never said it would be easy," I replied with a shrug. "Not saying we have to do it, but the potential benefits…"

Jarruk snorted and turned to his fellows. "The potential benefits are great. Worst case success, we knock off two SIU elites and destroy a major factory. Best case, we can take the factory, or at least its databanks, for ourselves.This isn't the kind of opportunity we can afford to pass up."

Apparently, having their senior militarist on side was enough to convince the others, as they all began nodding earnestly. "Alright, then," I said to the suddenly very eager officers. "Let's get to work."

---

The first stage of the plan was easy. A force of twelve Faith Foundation assault troopers, and twenty Judak Nurr specialists, were dropped into the fields a few kilometres downstream from the dam. We knew it didn't have any military presence, but we didn't rule out private security - hence the caution.

After spending the better part of an our trekking along the riverbank, our fears were confirmed. The dam was protected by a very frail, and largely useless, fence, a number of cameras, IR trackers, and motion sensors, and routine patrols by very bored looking Batarians with SMGs.

Hacking into the systems was easy enough - once we'd figured out where the cameras were transmitting too, I teleported a nanite-bomb down to infiltrate the systems, handily disabling the cameras and feeding the attached monitors an endless loop of 'nothing to see here'.

Then, we actually broke in.

With just six guards on site - four on patrol, in pairs, and two more in the security office, it was trivially easy to access the compound, and without the cameras, the latter two were useless, meaning we were almost entirely free to roam, save for the areas patrolled.

Due to the wide open spaces and long sight lines, however, the assault troopers were able to stealthily take out the patrolling guards with Hope's new tranquilizers, giving us access to everywhere in the facility save the one, still occupied command room.

Another teleported bomb, this time a gas grenade, was more than sufficient to incapacitate those two unfortunate guards.

I hoped the Hegemony didn't blame these people for what was about to happen. Not like we gave them a chance to resist us, or anything.

Once we'd totally secured the compound, we moved on to stage two. Six incredibly ballsy Batarian demolitionists, lead by a former mining engineer who'd claimed to have experience with 'something similar', - presumably cliff face blasting, - rappelled down the face of the dam with bandoliers full of Foundation explosives, mounting them periodically as they worked their way along the structure. Once each Batarian had exhausted their bandolier of explosives, they were hauled back up by two comrades, clambering to the top of the dam once more.

Once everyone had climbed back up and packed up their gear, we moved off the dam, no one particularly wanting to stick around and wait for it to explode.

The twenty Batarian rebels, plus my own squad of twelve, regrouped on the grassy verge near the edge of the embankment, loitering near the water as they waited for the dropship to arrive.

Once the dropship arrived, then we could launch the assault - we didn't want to start until absolutely everyone was ready to join in.

The Batarian demolitionist who'd lead the rappel teams approached my commandeered AeroAvatar, the currently idling squad leader of the present group of Foundation troopers.

"Sergeant Noon. We're all packed and ready to go, and the charges are set. On your signal, we will activate the detonation sequence."

I nodded. "Great. Dropship should be here any second now. Sort your men and wait for pickup. We'll get ourselves set up."

Giving an entirely unnecessary hand signal to the other Aeros, I sent them the order to prepare for the operation. They nodded, signaled their acknowledgement, and started getting set up, sealing helmets, checking weapons, and powering up their flight kits.

The low whine of engines drawing closer dragged both of our eyes to the skies as an older model Batarian-made Skyhauler, flying low over the trees, finally arrived at the site, swinging out over the reservoir before coming in slowly to deploy boarding ramps onto the bank.

"Alright, the shuttle is here. Everyone ready?"

The Aeros provided a number of basic thumbs-up responses. The Batarians mumbled their agreement, slinging their thus-far-unneeded weapons onto their backs and clustering together near the dropship.

"Excellent. Time to light the fuse."

Bakkra nodded his head grimly and tapped a key on his OmniTool, six bombs simultaneously detonating across the front surface of the dam. The superstructure held for just a couple of seconds, metal groaning in protest, before finally splitting apart. The water began to push, ripping huge chunks of concrete from the dam and flinging it downstream.

The Aeros, still standing on the bank, opened up one last lockbox of equipment, retrieving from within a number of thin, narrow planks.

Hope's Avatar grabbed two, bringing one over to me.

Bakkra's questioning glance was too much for me to resist.

"It's an amphibious assault raft. You may have seen some of the troops training with them, back on Miranda."

I just happened to know that 'may have' was the incorrect term - Bakkra was one of the Batarians who had spent a great deal of time exploring New Bondi, and I'd definitely seen him at the beach.

The Batarian blinked, and after a moment's consideration started looking between our 'amphibious assault rafts' and the water rushing over the edge of the dam, as if trying to comprehend the kind of madness we'd been cursed with to determine this was a logical course of action.

Eventually, he managed to spare the brainpower to speak. "You're insane. Twice insane."

I flashed him a cheeky grin before slipping my helmet on.

"Nah, mate. I'm an Australian."

Turning my back on the dumbstruck Batarian, I grabbed the offered surfboard and stepped into the rushing water.

Amphibious assault via surfboards riding huge waves of water released from the dam to a heavily defended military research base.

Just need some awesome tunes and it will be perfect.:p

The Batarian blinked, and after a moment's consideration started looking between our 'amphibious assault rafts' and the water rushing over the edge of the dam, as if trying to comprehend the kind of madness we'd been cursed with to determine this was a logical course of action.

Eventually, he managed to spare the brainpower to speak. "You're insane. Twice insane."

I flashed him a cheeky grin before slipping my helmet on.

"Nah, mate. I'm an Australian."

Turning my back on the dumbstruck Batarian, I grabbed the offered surfboard and stepped into the rushing water.

May I save this to my box of crazy ideas for getting characters into/out of sticky situations? (it fits right next to the stealth insert from beyond lunar orbit, by blowing up the moon to provide debris to cover the re-entry shock)

Last edited:
Uh....why did you put explosives on the DRY side of the dam? I'm fairly certain a proper dam destruction is MUCH better served doing it on the wet side and not only is the whole thing FASTER...but quieter. And less flash too.

Also, I like the surf boards as Assault Rafts idea. Very clever.

Also, why doesn't Faith foundation have a Bouncing Bomb (WW2 anti dam weapon. Made a movie out of it and everything too.) Or perhaps just some basic scuba gear and provide that to take out the dam? Again, explosives on the wet side, down 400 feet and you wouldn't have even needed to worry about the guards anyway.

Unless you plan was to PARTIALLY destroy the dam for more effective surfing...which is damably difficult.

Back