Remember Wobulator, Mass Effect, was basically written by Biologists.

it is painfully obvious they wanted to just out-and-out call it "space magic" but someone on the dev team kept saying "no"

... If it was written by biologists they wouldn't have such a fuck stupid explanation for the immune system problems of quarians. Or the biosphere of Rannoch.

No, ME was written by art majors who never took more than the mandatory bits of science education.

Or indoctrination. Actual biologists would know that manipulating nervous systems on that level by the described means (subsonics and low-intensity EM) is impossible. Ok, it MIGHT be possible for someone with Ziz+ grade precog, but without it you can't possibly produce an incurable brainwashing that doesn't need to be maintained.

And they'd know that producing that effect on species from multiple biospheres simultaneously is hilariously impossible.

The indoctrination explanation was a textbook Voodoo Shark. That is, the explanation made things harder on SoD.

Drich did say what his plans were for 40k... he won't join the normal version of the setting.

I think he gets there at about 30k or so, pre Hours Heresy or something
Yes, although the plan she had for the setting relied entirely to much on people being... I was going to say reasonable, but no, it relied to much on them not being reasonably paranoid for the setting they live in. And thus actually trusting her just because she saved their lives/planet/species or seemed reasonably insightful instead of just assuming that she only did it so she could do something worse to them later, or was setting them up for something, which would be much more in line with the Warhammer mindset.

Also, she kinda undersold the subtlety the Chaos Gods can act with.

Or indoctrination. Actual biologists would know that manipulating nervous systems on that level by the described means (subsonics and low-intensity EM) is impossible. Ok, it MIGHT be possible for someone with Ziz+ grade precog, but without it you can't possibly produce an incurable brainwashing that doesn't need to be maintained.

And they'd know that producing that effect on species from multiple biospheres simultaneously is hilariously impossible.

The indoctrination explanation was a textbook Voodoo Shark. That is, the explanation made things harder on SoD.

Why the Nervous System, Why not target the usually standard muscles and joints through nano-tech infections and cybernetics, that way the victim can think and sense everything around them, but they're just a puppet. And the avoidance from detection could be them aping the body's ability to speak and act like a normal person according to sensor data.

When and if Commander effect works out, you have to gang up on 40k. Its due for a proper cleaning.
You mean, like an enema with a fire hose?

...sounds about right actually.
Drich did say what his plans were for 40k... he won't join the normal version of the setting.

I think he gets there at about 30k or so, pre Hours Heresy or something
*She

Drich has already stated her intentions for 40k, if I recall correctly. Not sure if Fusou and Tiki have planned for 40k, and if they have I'm unaware of those plans. I also have plans for Commander Faith's visit, but the whims of the dice seem to not favour that outcome.

As an aside, since I mentioned the dice FiSF is only going to be running for ~10 worlds. We're on world 4, and I've got 5 and 6 decided already.

Drich is the most ready and maybe Fusou is some what.
Ultimately it doesn't matter if Fusou is or isn't ready, since:
Fusou said:
It would take Fusou less than a second to construction potentially billions if not trillions of warships to fight with and at most half a minute to deploy said ships to their target locations.
Forerunner Dyson Spheres be bullshit, yo. Tiki and Faith are currently rather outgunned by 40k, though. Not that it matters - see above.

Hmmm... Thresher maws! Find that millenia-old thresher maw on Tuchanka that ate a reaper in ME3, clone it a bunch of times, make it biotic, huskify it, and then drop five million copies from space whenever you need to kill ground forces.

Giant biotic thresher maws will wreck everything.
That is actually a pretty decent and viable idea.
Hm. *scribbles notes*

As a way of expanding upon that, how about you take several of your planet bases and dedicate them to breeding these monstrosities, and then through teleporters / Progenitor *magic* you could load them by the hundreds onto some transport ships then drop them, ah la kinetic bombardment. You get dead enemies craters revealing resource seams, and thresher maw minions.

Bonus points if you modify the thresher maws so that they're Giant Biotic Worm Husks - that double as RESOURCE COLLECTION UNITS
You wouldn't need to breed more than one, though - Faith could just take the blueprints the Dragons Tooth designed the first time and build them from a factory like every other set of blueprints.

Though the thought of Faith re-configuring an Orbital Shipyard to drop Thresher Mechs onto a planet is rather amusing.
*scribbles notes*

Drich didn't have any trouble with the Beast. The Beast got smushed by the Golden Psychic Beam of Fuck You her Castles fire just like everything else.
Actually, her problem was finding Beast infestations. Faith has even less gloriously bullshit production capabilities, and Faith also lacks the Golden Psychic Beam of Fuck You, because she hasn't visited the Masari.
No further comment.

Uh. I actually want to see your rants on this. You write well and they promise to be entertaining :)
Yes, Faith show us more of these rants.
My... rants?

I haven't done that many of them... the only ones that leap to mind are RWBY Semblance rants, over on SB.

Because all weapons tech in ME is magnetically propelled(which is reasonable). The problem with this and using liquid projectiles is that the melting point will always be higher than its Curie temperature, where the material stops being magnetic. Iron's Curie temperature is 1043 K, while its melting point is 1811 K. It's physically impossible for the described system to work.
Lots of things in the Mass Effect universe are 'physically impossible'. Luckily for the denizens of the Mass Effect universe, MEverse physics has more exploits than 3rd Edition D&D.

Well you could use eezo to create a looping gravity corridor that then pulls the liquid around in it. When it reaches sufficient speed you change the corridor to let the liquid out at your target as a beam.

The Reapers should have the tech to make that work.
Nah, it's noted in the Codex that-
Except it's specifically stated to be magnetic in nature
Yeah, that.

Remember Wobulator, Mass Effect, was basically written by Biologists.

it is painfully obvious they wanted to just out-and-out call it "space magic" but someone on the dev team kept saying "no"
Oh, please. If it were written by anyone with any form of scientific knowledge, people wouldn't mock it so much.

... If it was written by biologists they wouldn't have such a fuck stupid explanation for the immune system problems of quarians. Or the biosphere of Rannoch.

No, ME was written by art majors who never took more than the mandatory bits of science education.
ME science sounds good if you're a twelve year old playing a generic sci-fi shooter. The moment you apply any sort of critical thinking, it collapses like a house of cards in gale force winds.

The manipulations required would change per species, yes, but they'd change per individual, too so it's not like they'd be able to blanket-brainwash people in any useful capacity either way. I guess they just did incredibly in-depth scans and finely tailored their indoctrination systems to each individual.

Which... makes it even less plausible. Especially since even random Reaper trinkets are enough to induce low-level indoctrination.

Why the Nervous System, Why not target the usually standard muscles and joints through nano-tech infections and cybernetics, that way the victim can think and sense everything around them, but they're just a puppet. And the avoidance from detection could be them aping the body's ability to speak and act like a normal person according to sensor data.
Because the Codex says so.
The Codex said:
Reaper "indoctrination" is an insidious means of corrupting organic minds, "reprogramming" the brain through physical and psychological conditioning using electromagnetic fields, infrasonic and ultrasonic noise, and other subliminal methods.
It is really rather silly and simply meatpuppeting people would make far more sense, but... Bioware. At least they explained the Geth Heretics as swapping sides due to diplomacy coupled with a subversive computer virus.

By the time I hit the indoctrination explanation, my SoD was already curled up in the corner and crying.

Yes, although the plan she had for the setting relied entirely to much on people being... I was going to say reasonable, but no, it relied to much on them not being reasonably paranoid for the setting they live in. And thus actually trusting her just because she saved their lives/planet/species or seemed reasonably insightful instead of just assuming that she only did it so she could do something worse to them later, or was setting them up for something, which would be much more in line with the Warhammer mindset.
My 40k knowledge is subpar at best but my understanding is that in the time period Drich intends to arrive in, there is significantly less fantastic racism and paranoia on all sides because of the relative lack of Chaos activity, invading horrormonsters, and Ork Waaghs.

The manipulations required would change per species, yes, but they'd change per individual, too so it's not like they'd be able to blanket-brainwash people in any useful capacity either way. I guess they just did incredibly in-depth scans and finely tailored their indoctrination systems to each individual.

Which... makes it even less plausible. Especially since even random Reaper trinkets are enough to induce low-level indoctrination.

Because the Codex says so.
It is really rather silly and simply meatpuppeting people would make far more sense, but... Bioware. At least they explained the Geth Heretics as swapping sides due to diplomacy coupled with a subversive computer virus.

I know what the Codex says, I'm just saying if you're going for mind control, either flat out say telepathic bullshit or brainwashing hijinks. And, Faith I seem to remember an asteroid mission where everyone was simultaneously brainwashed by a relic.

About this Thresher Mech concept, its practically asking for things to go wrong and ending with the Thresher Mechs going rogue and turning into a self-replicating berserker swarm of cybernetic biotic space worms. Normal thresher maws are already bad enough, how is incorporating Reaper-tech and giving them space magic possibly a good idea?

About this Thresher Mech concept, its practically asking for things to go wrong and ending with the Thresher Mechs going rogue and turning into a self-replicating berserker swarm of cybernetic biotic space worms. Normal thresher maws are already bad enough, how is incorporating Reaper-tech and giving them space magic possibly a good idea?
The Krogans were complaining about being bored.

The neat black monolith I found next to the alien data pad that had the idea written in it?

This seems to be actually a pretty good result. You don't have to worry about control, and a simple backdoor killswitch makes it so if they get annoying you can fix that real fast.

Then they become resources themselves, and the Commanders can hunt them and use reclamation beams on them.

I seem to remember that one of the Commanders had treated the Zerg like popcorn.
Please correct me if wrong about this.

My 40k knowledge is subpar at best but my understanding is that in the time period Drich intends to arrive in, there is significantly less fantastic racism and paranoia on all sides because of the relative lack of Chaos activity, invading horrormonsters, and Ork Waaghs.
Less Chaos, but actually more Ork Waaghs and invading horrormonsters. And about as much fantastic racism and paranoia, just less evenly distributed. And it wasn't the normal people I was talking about her convincing, it was the "big players", the ones that have been dealing with insidious horrors and lying gods for pretty much all of their thousands-to-millions of years of life.

The little people of that time would be desperate enough to follow anyone that wasn't actively killing them, but it's not them that Drich was talking about convincing to follow her.

I know what the Codex says, I'm just saying if you're going for mind control, either flat out say telepathic bullshit or brainwashing hijinks.
As ridiculous, nonsensical and occasionally aneurysm-inducing as the Codex is, it's still not as bad as the Red Faction wiki still canon and therefore that's what we're going with.

And, Faith I seem to remember an asteroid mission where everyone was simultaneously brainwashed by a relic.
Simultaneous mind control =/= blanket mind control.
It may be doing ever so slightly different things to control each person, but that doesn't mean it can't do it all at the same time. It's bullshit science fuckery, after all.

Presumably, by replacing the 'convert body to robot + worship Reapers' AI with a 'covert body to robot + be totes chill' AI, one eliminates the risk of them becoming Reaper controlled.

Synthetic units possessing biotic powers is not something I ever recall happening in Mass Effect canon (outside of Rebuilt!Shepard, but s/he only half counts) and I'd think if such a thing was possible it would have been done already, in some form. For that reason, Faith Foundation Thresher Mechs would probably not possess biotics.

Also why would combat units be given sufficient fabricators to self replicate in anything approximating a timely fashion? Thresher Mechs would probably have some internally to 'digest' food and self-repair, but to actively self replicate would take them a while. They'd have to vomit up the resource storage, AI, and fabricators of the 'child' Thresher and then wait for that mech to repair itself.

The Krogans were complaining about being bored.
I suspect such complaints would very quickly cease if they had to fight colossal cybernetic death worms with space magic.

This seems to be actually a pretty good result. You don't have to worry about control, and a simple backdoor killswitch makes it so if they get annoying you can fix that real fast.
Or... replace the Reaper AI with a Faith AI and not worry about it going insane at all? Commander Faith would have to be an idiot to use the Dragons Teeth straight from the packet juicy Reaper insides, and whilst she is hopelessly incompetent, she's not stupid. Much.

Opinions, then? I enjoy watching plotholes or shoddy writing get disassembled, really. Though I s'pose the rest of the post did a fair bit of't as well :)
There will probably be a fair bit of that. Actually, sometime during... January, maybe? I recall staying up most of the night chatting with Drich about how stupid Starbrat is. A few chunks of that conversation did get shifted into our respective to-do lists, I believe.

FYI, Starbrat's low end killcount puts him high into the megaHitlers range. To be specific...

666.666* megaHitlers.

And if that's not a hallmark of a truly evil being, I don't know what is.

Then they become resources themselves, and the Commanders can hunt them and use reclamation beams on them.
Again, it seems easier to simply not allow the Thresher Mechs to become rogue agents. Like, vastly easier.

I seem to remember that one of the Commanders had treated the Zerg like popcorn.
Please correct me if wrong about this.
That was Commander Gamma in Tikitau's Reverse Engineering for Fun and Profit.

Less Chaos, but actually more Ork Waaghs and invading horrormonsters.
Really? I thought the Tyranids were a 'new' problem, by 40k standards.

And about as much fantastic racism and paranoia, just less evenly distributed. And it wasn't the normal people I was talking about her convincing, it was the "big players", the ones that have been dealing with insidious horrors and lying gods for pretty much all of their thousands-to-millions of years of life.
The little people of that time would be desperate enough to follow anyone that wasn't actively killing them, but it's not them that Drich was talking about convincing to follow her.
*shrug*

Like I said, 40k Lore is not exactly a well-trained skill of mine.

---

Writing, on the other hand, is less not-well-trained. Chapter soonish.

Last edited:
Really? I thought the Tyranids were a 'new' problem, by 40k standards.

*shrug*

Like I said, 40k Lore is not exactly a well-trained skill of mine.

---

Writing, on the other hand, is less not-well-trained. Chapter soonish.
In the 40k galaxy, the tyranids have only been an issue for ~400 or so years. Overall, I wouldn't be surprised if the overall race was older than the Necrons or Old Ones, given that it's heavily implied they've eaten at least 16 galaxies. Probably more, that number is a conjecture based around the number of directions the hive fleets are coming from.

71 - Divergence
Okay so 'chapter soonish' became 'chapter after I fish my sister out of the river' but hey, it's still Wednesday. Shut your face.

---

71 - Divergence
Scouring the Extranet for information turned out to be a much more worrying proposition than I had initially envisioned. As the Stealth Fabricator's nanites spread slowly through the ship's hardware, I had accessed and subsequently copied across all the data I could grab from its memory banks.

Some of these things were mundane - I found the ship's logs, that marked it as a Kowloon Freighter, the MSV Chubaru. I stole its blueprints, which provided me an 'in' to Mass Effect cores, kinetic shielding, and Eezo-based FTL travel. Those I passed along to Hope. I found the ship's manifesto and shipping logs, which indicated it was returning to the Exodus Cluster following a supply run out to the Voyager Cluster. Those I made copies of and then discarded.

The arrival of another ship through the Mass Relay drew my attention momentarily, and I grinned when I realised what I was looking at. It was about six hundred metres long, covered in point defence batteries and angled armour plating.

It was hard to say - there was never much attention paid to the fleets of the various species in Mass Effect, or starships in general besides the Reapers and the Normandy, but if I had to guess, I'd have labelled it as a Batarian vessel. Which fit, considering the proximity of the Leviathan of Dis to Batarian territory.

With a slight flaring of the thrusters, the Gagea changed course, bringing it closer and closer to the Batarian vessel.

As I had done before, I quickly swarmed the ship with nanites, rapidly obtaining access to everything. Weapons computers, navigation maps, personal terminals, and even a small dossier on proper maintenance of a number of Mass Effect based weapons, armour, equipment and vehicles. Yoink.

I found the interesting tidbit that the Batarian vessel was running not on a fusion torch like the Chubaru, but on antiproton drives - antiprotons were injected into a reaction chamber filled with hydrogen. That caused matter-antimatter annihilation to occur, which provided a huge amount of motive power, flinging the ship forward. The main issue with it was fuel production - antiprotons had to be made one particle at a time, on specially designed stations orbiting energetic stars.

Whilst I was confident my own tech could overcome that shortcoming… well, the antiproton drives weren't that much more powerful than the tech I'd already obtained from the Bright Foundation and the Galactic Federation. I doubted I'd find much use for them.

Then, before I left the ship's 'military grade secure encrypted system' - hah, yeah right, -, I inserted some rather devious pre-made viruses into the Batarian Cruiser's systems. Next time it synced its databanks with something, they would be in for quite a surprise. Bless whichever Progenitor who decided to pre-install subroutines for their Commanders. So very thoughtful of them.

Anyway, moving on to the most important thing: I found communications protocols. I'd taken from the Chubaru all of the protocols I needed to plug myself into the Extranet and start trawling the web, but this Batarian vessel had Batarian protocols for military channels, so I took them, too. First, I took maps, translation codecs, and every scrap of open-source technology I could grab. Then, I turned to… well, it wasn't quite Wikipedia, but it was close.

The current local date as defined by humanity was the November of 2160… twenty years and change before the events of the first Mass Effect game.

Which meant I would have twenty years and change to prepare to fight the Reapers. Hell, that would probably be enough time for me to hand out some blueprints, kick the Citadel into gear, and let them handle it themselves… then again, maybe not. Bureaucrats, and all that.

That in itself wasn't worrying. Thanks to the Leviathan of Dis, I already knew that my ships far outclassed the Reapers, at least in terms of their armament and speed. I had my doubts that the Reapers would be able to detect me through the Phase Cloaks, and even if they could their ability to even damage the ships whilst cloaked was greatly diminished. Again, the whole 'half a step outside physics' thing. With twenty years of build up, I could have…

Well, with twenty days of buildup I could probably destroy the Reapers. It wouldn't even be a challenge.

Although… the Reapers weren't the only problem. The Mass Effect universe had a lot of other issues - the Krogans and their little stillborn issue, the Morning War between the Geth and the Quarians… the Rachni were probably around somewhere, or would appear at some point in the future. The Batarians, perhaps more relevantly, were no longer at risk of being indoctrinated but still a bunch of colossal assholes nonetheless.

By far the biggest problem I could see was Humanity.

Because somewhere along the line, something happened that made them diverge rapidly from canon. And I had no idea what it could have been.

Somehow, the First Contact War went differently… or rather, it never happened at all. The Turians encountered a Human fleet and tried to destroy them, but the Human fleet was able to safely escape through the Relay. Despite the following mass military build up on both sides of the conflict, nothing violent went down, due to the interference of the Asari… and something else.

In canon, the Turians had pushed the Humans back to Shanxi, I think it was called, and then occupied the place after forcing one of Ashley's ancestors to surrender his garrison there. Then Humanity's fleets arrived in force and kicked the Turians off-world, kickstarting a conflict between the two races.

Here, they just… hadn't. Unfortunately, accessing the Citadel Databanks through a stealth fighter relaying a signal from a Batarian cruiser relaying a signal through four Mass Relays and sixteen comms buoys made for painful lag.

I couldn't let that deter me, though - such a huge divergence, and apparently the presence of a third party neither human nor Citadel (although the 'First Contact - Humanity' article was sketchy on the details) - well, it simply required further investigation.

Plots and plans came together in my mind, various ideas clicking together as I discarded others, thinking through the problem. After about a half a second of thought, I had the barest outline of a plan in mind. After another few moments of careful consideration, I nodded, my course determined.

I stepped through the portal to my Hub world, and as one, Hope and I reclaimed command of our abandoned NeoAvatars, putting us 'face to face' once more. "Alright, Hope, here's the plan…"

---

Hope looked at me for a long moment, face blank. And then she started giggling. Her laughter was infectious and I joined in, the two of us giggling away merrily like the universe's most pathetic evil villains. Then again, it wasn't much of an evil plan.

"Seems like a pretty good plan," Hope said once she'd stopped giggling. "I might have a better idea, though - the project I'm currently working on would be absolutely hilarious to use in the Faith Foundation's place. Here, check it out."

She sent me a few dozen terabytes of information, followed by a two gigabyte image named 'tldr.jpg'. Resisting the urge to sigh, I opened the JPEG file and started skimming through the contents.

I frowned. "I really do like the idea, but… I think it's maybe a little on the nose? Something's not right here, and until we figure out what I'd rather we not be so absolutely overt."

Hope sighed and turned her eyes downwards momentarily before perking up again. "But I can still use them later, right? Once we know what's going on?"

"Fuck it, sure, why not. It'll be funny, that's for sure. But, uh. Hold off. Just for now."

"Yeah, okay."

"Good," I said, nodding. "So, uh… bye… sis?"

The look that came across Hope's face as she spluttered through an answer perfectly encapsulated how I felt about the matter. "Uh… yeah. See you around… sis."

That incredibly awkward situation dealt with, I turned my back to Hope, staring into the portal. Before I had a chance to step through it, though, - "Actually, do you mind if I come join you in a little while?"

I turned back, glancing over my shoulder. "Uh, sure. But… why ask me permission? You're me - well, almost, I guess. We're like, twin sisters now, or whatever. If… if you're okay with it, chances are I probably will be too, yeah?"

Hope pouted but acknowledged the point. "Fair enough, yeah. So, uh, just give me like, five minutes to finish up some stuff here, and then I'll come join you?"

"Cool. I'll see you on the other side, then."

---

Now, the first and most critical key component of my plan was access to the Citadel. Now, I doubted that would be too much of a problem - unless the Reapers were significantly more advanced in computing than I suspected, then the Citadel's computer systems would be putty for me, and because of that, I'd have pretty much free reign to give myself access wherever I needed to go.

Plus, since there had already been first contact between Humanity and the Citadel, it wouldn't even be that suspicious to see Humans walking around. The military grade armour and weaponries might have been a little more suspect, but… well, no one ever stopped any of the dozens of thugs Shepard ran into, or Shepard themself, even before they became a Spectre.

Actually, the hardest part of that step would be getting a NeoAvatar to the Citadel. I mean, I could just fly a stealthed unit in there and use it as a spotter for a teleporter, but given that the alternative, doing it properly, would barely be any harder and establish a precedent for the further stages of my plan, I figured I'd just do that.

Which meant I'd need a ship.

Of course, I couldn't just have my units flying around in Mercuries - they'd be noticed in an instant. Pioneers and Migrants were also right out, although that was less an issue of size and more because they simply didn't match the aesthetics of the Mass Effect universe. Especially as combat ships.

If I wanted to do this subtly, I needed my ships to blend in. Which meant that I would need to repeat the process I'd first used for the Starsong, constructing a ship with a workable, feasible inside without revealing too much about the technology that was used to run it.

Which would, of course, simply be amped up Element Zero systems, with a few extra-dimensional goodies tucked away in a corner just in case. Relying on Eezo tech - even stuff derived from the Reapers, the undisputed masters of the stuff (at least amongst the natives), - would still be a pretty serious downgrade.

Marauder Shields - a name I suddenly realised was hilarious given my current location in the multiverse, - were fairly unobtrusive, barely visible even when actively deflecting enemy fire, and reasonably strong for their size, so I made a note to equip them on pretty much everything.

Phase Shields, on the other hand, were far too visible and noticeable for that to be feasible. They'd stand out like a sore thumb. At least I could probably get away with some Phase FTL Drives - so long as no one was looking, they'd probably never tell the difference. Maybe.

Still needed to check whether or not Eezo FTL gave off emissions when it disengaged. Hm.

What else did I have that was better than the Mass Effect equivalent?

Elysion Cores were vastly superior to Mass Effect's own Life Support systems, but they would be relatively easy to hide. My medical tech was… well, it was better than the single-bed medibay on the Chubaru, but how it stacked up to full hospitals on the Citadel, I had yet to see.

Sensors… actually, scratch that. I could just have all the sensors - I doubted anyone would ever notice. And if they did observe that my sensors seemed a little too advanced, or had too much range, then I could always wave it off as sensor buoys or something. No big deal.

The other system I'd have to completely replicate was propulsion. Flying around with the high-power, high-efficiency engines I had would probably raise a few eyebrows. That said…

The Chubaru possessed a single fusion torch, presumably its main engine, and a number of smaller ion drives for maneuvering. If I was to replicate that pattern - well, I'd need much stronger thrusters, for one. The fusion torch provided woefully inadequate acceleration for a warship. The Batarian Cruiser was much more adequately equipped with Antiproton drives, but even they were rather… lackluster.

Instead, I decided to simply alter the designs of the thrusters I already had, changing the shape of the casings to better reflect the design aesthetics of the Mass Effect universe. It would be noticeable if anyone focused their sensors on the ship's engines that they operated off different principles, but hopefully no one would be looking at them that closely anyway.

As a precaution, I added a number of Antiproton drives to the rear of the ship anyway. Despite their huge thruster power, they simply weren't good enough to adequately replace what I already had.

And so, the rules set out and an appearance in mind, I started up the design program and got to work.

Argh, this relentless teasing over when one Commander encounters another is going to do me in well before it comes about.

*Is sitting on the edge of his seat and prepared to stay there till the next installment comes out*

I mostly find it funny that Senpai is the one about to be noticed, despite Fusou leaving her "notice me Senpai!" clues all over history.

Ah, I just now (yea, I'm slow) realized how the meeting is going to take place. Its not a case of them all showing up and 'WITNESS ME!' shenanigans. Its a case of all of them tip-toeing around each other, trying to find out who 'mystery species X' is, and when/where did they come from. And due to each of them being Progenitor bullshit, they can, for the most part, stone-wall the others when they're trying to be subtle, and not being blatant.

Of course then it'll end up where one of them finally thinks its one thing, worries, and goes 'Its the Reapers. Time to blow shit up', and goes public, only to find out its another Commander, at which point the other two drop in via a 'my lightshow is bigger than your lightshow' moment, and things quickly de-escalate into 'Senpai! Kouhai! Why are those two hugging? I'm too sober for this'.

Meanwhile everyone on the Citadel has changed to their brown pants due to either several fleets measuring in the tens of thousands have shown up, or someone moved several metallic dwarf planets suddenly into close orbit of the station. All of which have shown up within seconds of each other, with absolutely no warning at all.

I could see that, but there's also a fairly good chance of the "newcomers" like Faith who arrive well after another Commander like the case is with Fusou will try to be stealthy but get caught out because they weren't expecting to need to fool Progenitor grade detection and observation systems.

Just as an example, if Fusou has stealth observation or monitoring on the Citadel for any reason, Faith is at least likely to stand out for the unusual nature of her ship, and it's possible the Android crew could be noticed by Progenitor or Forerunner grade sensors. Not enough for a clear identification maybe, unless some of the imported tech is easily recognizable from meta knowledge, but more than enough to prompt a closer look.

I could see that, but there's also a fairly good chance of the "newcomers" like Faith who arrive well after another Commander like the case is with Fusou will try to be stealthy but get caught out because they weren't expecting to need to fool Progenitor grade detection and observation systems.

Just as an example, if Fusou has stealth observation or monitoring on the Citadel for any reason, Faith is at least likely to stand out for the unusual nature of her ship, and it's possible the Android crew could be noticed by Progenitor or Forerunner grade sensors. Not enough for a clear identification maybe, unless some of the imported tech is easily recognizable from meta knowledge, but more than enough to prompt a closer look.
True, but at the same time, Fusou isn't likely to go overt the instant something 'odd' shows up. Chances are that she'll poke at it, and when the poke comes back 'STONEWALLED', she'll pause, and wonder if its the Reapers or something entirely different due to the butterflies that have already occurred due to her arrival. So Fusou probably will go back to subtle poking, or using an avatar.

Meanwhile Faith likely will do the exact same thing. Wonder where the hell a poke like that would come from, and try to brush it off as if her sensors didn't detect it, so hopefully not to trip any traps that might happen if she overtly shows she tripped the sensor scan, outside of the initial/automatical Progenitor counter-intrusion response. Then she'll respond with an avatar of her own. And so on.

Tiki likely will be doing the same, while Drich is really the only one that can pull off a 'you can't see me' trick, and sneak past the others.

I know it wa s said somewhere in thread. But where did each of them landed? I'm at work and shouldnt be on my phone.

Indulging my curiosity and helping me not get cought will get you cat-girl.

Please halp!

Thanks.

Back