A nice way for Faith to cool down after this whole shitstorm is to design a friendship laser powered deathstar and blow things up with it.

A nice way for Faith to cool down after this whole shitstorm is to design a friendship laser powered deathstar and blow things up with it.
You mean the Elements of Harmony? Just install them in one of those orbital lasers (xxx platforms I think their called) and you have an orbital friendship cannon.

You mean the Elements of Harmony? Just install them in one of those orbital lasers (xxx platforms I think their called) and you have an orbital friendship cannon.
I said deathstar because blowing up planets/solar systems is cathartic as fuck. Especially since I sometimes do things like, accidentally my most prosperous solar system, and vaporizing a third of a random races galaxy is really soothing.

So the oversight amounts to "Yes, I'll have dictatorial powers on basis of sufficient power," and she's trying to get rid of that responsibility ASAP even if it means giving it to literal aliens. Who won't have the same ability to keep control through sheer power.

*steeples hands*

Let's see how this goes.

It's lovely... A tad inaccurate, though. MGLN has planet-breakers, but Raging Heart isn't one of them.

Unless it is. The way it handles jewel seeds always looked a little bit too natural to me.
It was found in the same place. I have always suspected that RH was a Lost Logia that Yuuno just kept quiet about.
Intelligent Devices are pretty expensive after all, and he is a wandering orphan archaeologist...

Last edited:
It was found in the same place. I have always suspected that RH was a Lost Logia that Yuuno just kept quiet about.
Intelligent Devices are pretty expensive after all, and he is a wandering orphan archaeologist...
Well, yes. It's a jewel-shaped intelligent device, when all other devices we've seen follow different aesthetics, and it was found together with a bunch of other jewel-shaped lost logia.

Yuuno gave it away to Nanoha before the TSAB even got involved. By the time they did, I figure they wouldn't want to take it away from her. They're an exceptionally nice government, after all.

--

And to make this slightly more on-topic, I wonder how Faith would do in the MGLN multiverse. It's got magic, AIs, magical AIs, a working government*, and more planetary-scale threats than you can shake a stick at. Not even a fully functional PA commander can easily ignore the threat posed by the Book of Darkness, for instance.

The TSAB tech-base is different from Faith's, and exceeds it on many levels. The converse is of course also true. It'd be interesting to see how they get along.

*: Of course, the TSAB is also a military dictatorship. A nice one. I always suspected that whoever engineered their magic system (Al Hazard?) also made sure it went with some useful tweaks to personality set-points, and made sure they wouldn't get corrupted by power. That last one actually might be quite easy; it's a complex adaption, and therefore breakable.

In their defense it's been less than a century since the most recent apocalypse-slash-interdimensional-war, and they're still trying to rebuild, but given how black and white Faith's views on government often are... ho hum. :D

If they can avoid getting on each others' nerves too much, Faith could do a lot of good there. They could really use some construction help; even on Midchilda, the capital planet, their capital city is still halfway in ruins from that war. Their population has to be low.

Last edited:
The TSAB isn't that nice, otherwise Jail Scaglietti wouldn't have been. In fact, they were pretty nasty, what with all the child abuse and human experimentation.
Do remember that most of the main cast are the byproducts of human rights violations.
The anime is pretty upbeat, so its easy to forget how much truly terrible stuff has/does happen to the characters.

Last edited:
I don't remember much of Nanoha (although now you've mentioned it I should probably add it to the list) but I do remember in the first(?) season wondering why they sent an untrained 3rd grader, the villain's daughter, and a child soldier who can't possibly be older than twelve to fight a powerful mage who had a huge army of robot knights and I think 9 of those super magic battery thingies.

Also, the typical adults are useless trope when the entire adult part of the TSAB's enforcer group gets OHKOd, but I digress.

I don't remember much of Nanoha (although now you've mentioned it I should probably add it to the list) but I do remember in the first(?) season wondering why they sent an untrained 3rd grader, the villain's daughter, and a child soldier who can't possibly be older than twelve to fight a powerful mage who had a huge army of robot knights and I think 9 of those super magic battery thingies.

Also, the typical adults are useless trope when the entire adult part of the TSAB's enforcer group gets OHKOd, but I digress.

In order: Said undertrained 3rd grader was the most magically powerful asset available who when offered the chance to sit this one out said 'no,' the villain's daughter jumped in without authorisation and refused to return to base and the child soldier is apparently a trusted archeologist in a time and culture where archeology involves knowing how to handle potentially unstable WMDs without a manual.

You've still got many fair complaints, but when faced with what they were dealing with it's... not entirely stupid that they went for potentially illegal support options in the face of an incoming planet shattering disaster they had no time to wait for reinforcements for.

No, you think that's bad, take a look at how they handle MGLN A's. Where they do have the time and opportunity to call for reinforcements capable of handling the Wolkenritter and don't get those reinforcements.

No, you think that's bad, take a look at how they handle MGLN A's. Where they do have the time and opportunity to call for reinforcements capable of handling the Wolkenritter and don't get those reinforcements.
If you want to assume that the TSAB isn't stupid, which I'm inclined to prefer, then it's one of three:
- Earth is too much of a backwater; the higher-ups don't care.
- Graham put some pressure on, because he actually wants the Wolkenritter to win so he can go ahead with his plan.
- There are half a dozen other brushfires elsewhere.

I like to think it's some combination of the last two. They work well together; having other crises, some on administrated worlds, is good cover for Graham if asked why he's pushing back against reinforcements.

Also, they have limited reinforcements that can actually TAKE the Wolkenritter.

Also, they have limited reinforcements that can actually TAKE the Wolkenritter.
This is also true. Nanoha, for all that she's the first character introduced, is an extreme outlier.

The only people we've seen with close to her power are:

- Hayate. Spent years being drained by a Lost Logia, which expanded her capacity at the apparent cost of any fine control whatsoever. She's powerful, but not actually that useful, and never really takes the field even as an adult.

- Alicia (mk2). Slightly less powerful than Nanoha, and an artificial mage, product of a program meant to create super-powered mages. Even then, she's an outlier; Eriol isn't nearly as powerful. Precia does good work; it's a real pity that she couldn't recognise that.

- Precia. Probably cheated.

- Vivio. Another brand of artifical mage. (And Nanoha would go mama bear if anyone suggested putting her through what she's gone through. It wouldn't be healthy for the instigator.)

And the Wolkenritter, who after all are the ones we were talking about here. There are four of them, three of which are about as powerful as Nanoha. Note, of course, that only Nanoha and Alicia were available to fight them. In the end, the two of them kinda... failed, but there's no sign that there were any more powerful adults around. People with that much power appear to be anomalies; they show up a lot in the show, yes, but that's largely because Nanoha and Alicia collect them.

The alternative option they discussed in As was to nuke the site from orbit. Given the stated capabilities of the Arc-en-ciel it's a planetkiller, so you can see why Nanoha might want to avoid that.

Last edited:
The alternative option they discussed in As was to nuke the site from orbit. Given the stated capabilities of the Arc-en-ciel it's a planetkiller, so you can see why Nanoha might want to avoid that.
With one shot? No. The direct blast area of the Arc-en-Ciel is 100 km across. It's very big and very much a WMD, but planet killer it is not. At least until you take into account the fact that it only takes a minute to charge. If it can continuously fire once a minute, then with my rough math, it should take just shy of 19,000 firings to cover the entire land surface area of Earth with direct bombardment and 13 days and 4 hours to complete it. Then again, that's just direct bombardment. Overpressure would likely reduce that though massively. Yeah, a lot of people would die even if it wouldn't quite be the end of everyone on Earth. Just as good a reason to not fire it on a densely inhabited planet, and it just shows how deadly afraid of the Book of Darkness the TSAB was in order to equip the Arthra with it and authorize its use in case the Book went out of control.

With one shot? No. The direct blast area of the Arc-en-Ciel is 100 km across. It's very big and very much a WMD, but planet killer it is not. At least until you take into account the fact that it only takes a minute to charge. If it can continuously fire once a minute, then with my rough math, it should take just shy of 19,000 firings to cover the entire land surface area of Earth with direct bombardment and 13 days and 4 hours to complete it. Then again, that's just direct bombardment. Overpressure would likely reduce that though massively. Yeah, a lot of people would die even if it wouldn't quite be the end of everyone on Earth. Just as good a reason to not fire it on a densely inhabited planet, and it just shows how deadly afraid of the Book of Darkness the TSAB was in order to equip the Arthra with it and authorize its use in case the Book went out of control.
You're forgetting the secondary effects. It has a blast radius of 50km, and appears to erase all matter inside that area of effect.

The crustal thickness of Earth varies from ~30km to ~50km. However, Nanoha lives in Japan, which is on the low end of that range. You wouldn't just be making a humongous supervolcano, you'd be punching straight through into the mantle. The biosphere won't survive, and neither will anyone living there.

Last edited:
The crustal thickness of Earth varies from ~30km to ~50km. However, Nanoha lives in Japan, which is on the low end of that range. You wouldn't just be making a humongous supervolcano, you'd be punching straight through into the mantle.
Oh shit, I was thinking about the blast like it was a thermonuclear blast or a kinetic kill vehicle. Yeah, Earth would be fucked if the Arc really did punch into the mantle. The consequences of that would be worse than every single extinction extinction event ever.

48 - Settlements
In which a Commander procrastinates her way to victory.

48 - Settlements
Moving the Rebels into their new temporary home turned out to be much easier than I expected. Once their crippled ships were dropped in the courtyard and carefully torn apart for Metal, they had pretty much no choice but to examine one of the nearby buildings.

Since said nearby buildings had air conditioning, and the outside temperature was enough to make me, an Australian, cringe, most Rebels made the smart choice to stay inside.

The fact that I had armed robots at each door probably also helped them arrive at this decision.

The real problems didn't begin until I got to the larger ships - there wasn't exactly a lot of room to safely put the things down. I settled for another bout of teleport-poaching, instead, simply Phase Teleporting them from their ships in orbit to the courtyard on the planet below. The ships remained in orbit - instant derelicts.

Man, point-to-anywhere teleportation is awesome. Especially when it doesn't have to be voluntary!

It did lead to a few disoriented crew members throwing up on the pads, but a quick application of nanomachines always served to clean those messes up.

Once I got into a rhythm of sorting that out, I spun up a second stream of consciousness, using that to take over the busywork whilst my 'primary' stream went on to do other stuff.

Solving problems one at a time is for people who can't effectively complete multiple tasks at once through simultaneous instancing. Heh, suckers.

Not that I'm particularly good at using that ability myself, though. I keep forgetting I have it, which is rather annoying at times.

Normally because I remember immediately after it would have stopped being useful. Not this time, though!

---

I returned my attention to Earth - the Federation were doing a fairly good job of relocating their military back down to the surface, so I didn't feel the need to butt in there. At this point, it was simply a matter of letting the Rebels and the Federation cool down whilst I sorted everything out - and by that, I mean 'whilst I threw all my problems at the Zoltan and ran away quickly'.

Yeah, yeah. Sue me.

The moon was still glowing, to my surprise, although not as much as it had been an hour prior. I took a moment to admire the view for posterity's sake before moving on.

---

The Starsong, meanwhile, had finally arrived at its destination. Another asteroid field - it worked the first time, after all, - but one admittedly much closer to civilisation.

Within range of an FTL Jump Beacon, even, which was… well, it wasn't bad. Especially since I had no real concerns about keeping this base hidden or anything like that. It was, after all, going to serve as the Faith Foundation's 'face'.

The Starsong located the largest asteroid again and began to idle as the five Pilgrims moved in, Fabricators ready to engage.

Streams of green nanobots shot across the void, tearing up part of the asteroid, flattening a huge chunk of its surface. Once about six hundred metres of space was cleared, construction began.

Airfield formed across the rock's surface under the glow of the Pilgrim's Fabricators. With the combined construction capabilities of seven hundred and fifty lone Fabricators, the building was finished in a little under three seconds, and the Pilgrims moved off to begin construction of a second Airfield next to it.

As they moved into position, I queued up the next few builds - more Habitation Blocks, linked together by airtight tunnels. Utterly useless to me, but useful as part of the masquerade.

Of course, a base consisting entirely of living quarters would have raised questions, so I ended up making a few variants of the Habitation Block, using furniture and equipment ripped straight from the archives of both the Bright Foundation and the Galactic Federation - altered to match the 'smooth curves' aesthetic I was playing up, of course.

These Engineering Blocks and Research Blocks joined the queue, along with two large, retractable covers over the Airfields - they were supposed to be landing pads of a sort for the ships, and thus needed a contained environment, so that passengers and crew could go from ship to station without needing EVA suits.

Well, my passengers and crew didn't, on account of being cyborgs with only the barest of organic matter to simulate real skin, but real humans would have needed an atmosphere, and since that's what I was pretending to be, they needed to be there. They made the whole base more believable.

Hopefully. Heh.

Once all those constructions were queued up, I started flicking through the various viewpoints of my thousands of ships and other units.

Unloading on Erran was going fine - the only remaining Rebel ships were their larger vessels, the Cruisers and Dreadnoughts. Another couple of hours and they'd be all sorted.

Unloading on Earth was almost done - the Federation had infrastructure that I hadn't bothered wasting time with, significantly speeding up the process. They should be all home - or at least, all on the surface, - within the hour.

Once everyone was down, then… well, then I would have to figure out step two, I guess. Figuring out how to approach the Engi and the Zoltan and get them to take over. Planning that would be… interesting.

Obviously, the best course of action was to further put this off, which is exactly what I did, pushing the matter to the back of my mind.

I had my Riders emerge again from my initial asteroid base, spreading out between there, Erran, Earth, and my new asteroid base, using the scout ships in place of dedicated sensor platforms because I was too lazy to design such things and the Riders were already just sitting around, doing nothing.

Sue me, damnit.

Nothing out of the ordinary was happening on Earth - the Federation had put up a no-fly zone around the planet in preparation for the Rebel attack, and apparently the populace were too scared to try and defy it even though their fleet had been disarmed.

Probably because the fleet responsible for the disarming was still chilling out in orbit, but I digress. The moon being slightly glowing still probably didn't help.

The space around Erran was far more interesting, honestly. Civilian vessels were still buzzing around in orbit, flying too and fro. Most were going out of the way to give the FTL Gate and the Rebel Fleet a wide berth, but some of the braver ones had begun to approach - apparently they'd started to realise the Rebel Fleet had been totally crippled and largely abandoned.

After a moment's consideration, I decided that looters weren't much of a problem - I'd already vaporised the fleet's weapons and engines, so the ships were pretty much exclusively useful for scrap.

Admittedly, there was a lot of scrap, in terms of hull armour, structural components, internal systems, and computers, but I couldn't think of many uses for a huge fleet of legless, toothless derelicts besides raw resources.

Just to be sure, I hacked into and purged the databanks of every single one of them, removing every scrap of useable data - after copying it for myself, that is.

I didn't want any well-equipped pirate groups getting their hands on the Flagship's blueprints, for example. Nor the location of the station where that damnable AI came from.

Speaking of which, I needed to go deal with that. Preferably with fire. Lots of fire.

---

Station LDC-952 was located in an area of dark space between two semi-close solar systems, on the border of what was considered Zoltan and Federation territory. Entirely isolated, serving only as a secure relay for highly-confidential military transmissions.

If by 'secure', you meant 'willing to jump ship and join the winning team at the drop of a hat'.

It had two craft for defensive purposes - a Zoltan Energy Fighter and a Zoltan Energy Bomber. Presumably the limited presence was to preserve the masquerade, not to actually defend the place, because it was an utterly insignificant force considering what it was supposed to be defending.

It was the birthplace, so to speak, of the Rebel Flagship's AI - or at least, it was the location in which a large part of the AI was programmed - the hacking and cyberwarfare routines.

That AI was a bastard. Its home was going to burn.

Two Pioneer craft, set up to carry 'prisoners', and four Riders, their Twin Plasma Turrets replaced with Fire Beams, dropped out of FTL a hundred thousand kilometres or so from the station, their weapons immediately charging up.

The crew of the two Zoltan strike craft and the station found themselves suddenly warped across space, locked inside the cells of the Pioneers. Volleys of missiles, courtesy of all six ships, raced across the inky black, lighting the darkness of space with a series of brilliant explosions that blasted the Zoltan ships to dust.

One last missile made its way to the station itself, detonating with a high-power ion strike that totally overloaded the facility's shield generator.

Seconds later, eight beams of brilliant ruby light shot across the void, striking the Zoltan station and passing through the hull plates as if they weren't there.

I quickly hacked the station's systems, copying and then deleting everything on the database - including huge amounts of classified communications, decades worth of AI research, and more blackmail material then I could shake a stick at.

And then, peering through the station's internal cameras, I watched as huge fires engulfed the interior. Automated routines attempted to activate extinguishers and open airlocks, apparently sensing the lack of life forms to put at risk with such actions, but I quickly shut them down.

The fire began to spread, growing and merging from eight small clusters spread throughout the research wing to a blazing inferno, rapidly expanding across the station. Smoke filled the hallways and clouded the view of the cameras.

Unfortunately, besides totally ruining their carpet, the fire didn't seem to be doing much.

Naturally, I solved this problem by adding more fire.

Another volley of Fire Beams really helped heat thi- nope, can't do it. That pun is officially too bad, even for me.

Anyway, with the help of a second huge conflagration lit in the dormitory wing, the temperature in the station began to soar even further - well beyond the limits of the station's air conditioning to control.

Wall panels began to melt, sensitive equipment and computers fizzled and shut down, and even the camera lenses began to warp, obscuring my vision even further.

Heheh. Jet fuel may not be able to melt steel beams, but high intensity infrared laser beams can!

One by one, the camera feeds winked out as their delicate internals were melted into vaguely metallic goop, and I had to satisfy myself by watching from the outside as the station continued to burn.

I mean, obviously the fire wouldn't completely destroy it - the oxygen would dissipate well before the fire got that out of hand, - but it would do a number on the internals.

Once the place ran out of oxygen, I could just teleport a nuke on board and blow it up Covenant style, but until then, I was quite content to just watch the place burn.

---

I was dragged from my exercise in catharsis by a very unexpected sensory input.

Input from the NeoAvatars designated Ajax and Abigail - the pilot and captain of the Starsong. Input they could only have received if there was someone else in the Starsong's bridge.

"Captain Drake. Would you like to explain?"

Aww, fudge.

I've had rather mixed feelings regarding the way this setting was handled. It's still well written, and the beat down was definitely enjoyable to read, but the reasoning behind the rebellion just seems very one-sided. I get what you were going for; you were going for the twist that the "good" guys were actually bad while the "bad" guys were actually good.

I just don't think it worked well. You went so far to make it be that way that you ended up making the Federation (or whatever the faction is called) just about laughably evil. Like, to the point where I was thinking to myself, "There is no way that could be the reason behind the rebels." Honestly it would have been interesting if you had done it in a way that wasn't so blatantly black and white, because at least that would have made for some interesting decisions which would need to be made by Faith.

To put it another way, the entire backstory provided here feels like it only exists just to have that twist I mentioned earlier. Still, I am enjoying it, even if I'm slightly hoping that the next setting shows up sooner rather than later.

I've had rather mixed feelings regarding the way this setting was handled. It's still well written, and the beat down was definitely enjoyable to read, but the reasoning behind the rebellion just seems very one-sided. I get what you were going for; you were going for the twist that the "good" guys were actually bad while the "bad" guys were actually good.

I just don't think it worked well. You went so far to make it be that way that you ended up making the Federation (or whatever the faction is called) just about laughably evil. Like, to the point where I was thinking to myself, "There is no way that could be the reason behind the rebels." Honestly it would have been interesting if you had done it in a way that wasn't so blatantly black and white, because at least that would have made for some interesting decisions which would need to be made by Faith.

To put it another way, the entire backstory provided here feels like it only exists just to have that twist I mentioned earlier. Still, I am enjoying it, even if I'm slightly hoping that the next setting shows up sooner rather than later.
I kinda disagree that it's all black-and-white. Change is always disruptive, and there's no guarantee that the new government will actually be any better. See: Arab Spring.

Sometimes it's better to live with the enemy you know than the one you don't, after all.

Are you saying the Rebels could have rebelled for something other than the Federation being complete and utter fucking assholes?

Yes. Actually, I imagine most reasons would make it hard to determine who exactly is right. Because that's typically an aspect when unrest is involved. The first example off the top of my head would be the US Civil War. Both the Union and the Confederacy had legitimate issues with the way things were being done, and there was really no clear good and bad side.

I kinda disagree that it's all black-and-white. Change is always disruptive, and there's no guarantee that the new government will actually be any better. See: Arab Spring.

Sometimes it's better to live with the enemy you know than the one you don't, after all.

No, it's pretty much black and white in this case. Basically ruining the vast majority of the population by making them what amounts to slave while the top officials are in full power? Saying you are no longer human if you don't agree?

Yeah, it's outright ridiculous just how blatantly evil they were made in this story. Like, this is crack-fic levels of absurdly evil.

Back